X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Anybody want to knock me off the fence in either direction in regards to Tremblay's The Pallbearer's Club? Tremblay as been hit-or-miss for me as I really like A Head Full of Ghosts, but was underwhelmed and rather bored by Disappearance at Devil's Rock. I was running with a matching numbered set through Camelot, having also picked up Cabin and Growing Things, but passed on the Sleep books because I already owned the Thunderstorm editions, so a complete set isn't necessarily a thing for me anymore.
    It's the only Tremblay book I haven't cared for, and, in fact, it was essentially a DNF, as I lightly skimmed the last half or third, just to see if anything might change my mind...and it didn't. Up to that point, I'd enjoyed every Tremblay book I'd read (and had read them all)...sure, some more than others (and DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK was my least favorite up to that point), just as with any author, but all were finished and appreciated. Somewhere around here I left a short review with my thoughts at the time, so I won't repeat them here (and, honestly, it was such a surprisingly disappointing experience that I've tried to forget about it, and have been generally successful, so can't give you a detailed reason anymore why I didn't care for it). I don't see you list SURVIVOR SONG among the books you own...if you need a new Tremblay read, I would recommend that one far, far more than PALLBEARER'S CLUB.

EDIT: Just did a search, and I can't find my short review on it. Weird. Maybe I posted it somewhere else, I don't know.

EDIT 2: Btw, if a complete set isn't a concern anymore, please keep me in mind for the SST editions of both DISAPPEARANCE and CABIN. I piecemealed my Tremblay collection with SST and a couple trade HC 1sts, and would be very pleased to have it all SST (save for PALLBEARER'S...no surprise, I won't be going for that one).
    Last edited by RonClinton; 07-21-2023, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I pre-ordered it from SST but haven't actually read the novel yet. From what I've seen from some reviews, it seems like a polarizing book. That being said, the premise seemed interesting to me and Tremblay has earned enough goodwill from me to chance it.
    The polarization of reader reviews is what got me. It's his lowest rated book on Goodreads. I don't treat review sites as gospel because individual tastes vary, but it didn't help me out too much. Most reviews complain that the book is boring, but that's hard to quantify. If you're going into a movie expecting Guardians of the Galaxy but get Interstellar you might be bored. It's not because Interstellar is necessarily bad, just not what you anticipated.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Anybody want to knock me off the fence in either direction in regards to Tremblay's The Pallbearer's Club? Tremblay as been hit-or-miss for me as I really like A Head Full of Ghosts, but was underwhelmed and rather bored by Disappearance at Devil's Rock. I was running with a matching numbered set through Camelot, having also picked up Cabin and Growing Things, but passed on the Sleep books because I already owned the Thunderstorm editions, so a complete set isn't necessarily a thing for me anymore.
    I pre-ordered it from SST but haven't actually read the novel yet. From what I've seen from some reviews, it seems like a polarizing book. That being said, the premise seemed interesting to me and Tremblay has earned enough goodwill from me to chance it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    As usual, SST packages are always a surprise. I know they're shipped, but I never know when they'll get here.

Well, today was the day that one arrived - Demon Theory and Terror is Our Business.

As per usual, great production values at a bargain price.

Now to wrap them in a Brodart and pack away with all of their friends.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Anyone interested in a full Paul Tremblay set or SGJ set (matching numbers within the sets), plus rights through Camelot? Figured I'd ask here before posting them in the various FB groups.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I think I got a shipping notification from SST recently. Based on your list, I should be getting Demon Theory and Terror is Our Business. Hurry up mail!

ETA: I didn't realize Demon Theory was from December of 2021 - would have sworn it was a lot more recent than that. Time is definitely an illusion.
    Last edited by TacomaDiver; 05-26-2023, 11:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my LE copies of Demon Theory, Terror Is Our Business, & Chasing the Boogeyman. Each of these books turned out amazing. That cover art for Demon Theory might make my all-time favorite list!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I got shipping confirmation from Paul for The Living Dead - no idea when I'll read it, but looking forward to receiving it nonetheless.
    Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing my notification soon.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I got shipping confirmation from Paul for The Living Dead - no idea when I'll read it, but looking forward to receiving it nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Cool. I think I pre-ordered this through Camelot.

Very nice of Paul to do that! Glad to hear that THE LIVING DEAD is now out in the wild. I passed on it initially for some dumb reason and now it’s sold out everywhere. Hoping some pop up at a reasonable price on the aftermarket.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Very nice of Paul to do that! Glad to hear that THE LIVING DEAD is now out in the wild. I passed on it initially for some dumb reason and now it’s sold out everywhere. Hoping some pop up at a reasonable price on the aftermarket.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my LE copies of Unbury Carol, The Living Dead, & No Sleep Till Wonderland. All three turned out amazing! Also want to give a shout-out to Paul who was willing to ship all three books together and upgraded my shipping free of charge without telling me. Truly awesome customer service and one of the many reasons I love me some SST!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my shipping notice from SST for Gwendy's Final Task! Am super excited to see this one finally shipping! I had previously decided to wait until the (LE) Final Task was received and then give the series a straight read-through. I normally would have read each book as they came out; however, since CD had delayed Magic Feather so much, I decided to just hold off on reading it and complete the trilogy all at once.
    Just received my copy of Gwendy's Final Task from SST. Turned out fantastic. Love the cover-art, and the coloring really makes it pop! Slipcase also turned out very well. Feels very sturdy and has a neat little design on it. Was surprised by the introduction author, definitely wasn't someone I would have guessed. Now that I have this final volume, I plan to plow through the Gwendy trilogy very soon. Overall, another top-notch production from SST!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Anyone else hop on this weekend's "Secret Advance Preorder" title? I know I did! Wish we could be specific as I was very excited to see the 2nd book in this trilogy being offered for pre-order. They did a great job with the 1st book! Also got to love SST's prices. Was able to pick-up the limited w/international shipping for $63!
    I didn't get anything, so it must be related to something I passed on previously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X