SST Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I have Westlake Soul on pre-order. I keep hearing good things about The Only Good Indians but the only other book I have read from this author was Mapping the Interior and I was less than impressed.
    I'm excited for Westlake Soul as that's another book on my favorite books list. I was planning on a re-read of this one this year and couldn't pass up the opportunity to re-read it in a beautiful edition.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

I'm excited for Westlake Soul as that's another book on my favorite books list. I was planning on a re-read of this one this year and couldn't pass up the opportunity to re-read it in a beautiful edition.
      I have been interested in reading this for quite some time. When I receive this it will be my first reading.

Comment

I received my shipping notice for GROWING THINGS and THE SILENCE and decided to celebrate by finally picking a copy of SST’s PARADISE SKY by Joe Lansdale. So now I have three new SST books on their way to add to my collection. Pretty excited to get all in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          I received my shipping notice for GROWING THINGS and THE SILENCE and decided to celebrate by finally picking a copy of SST’s PARADISE SKY by Joe Lansdale. So now I have three new SST books on their way to add to my collection. Pretty excited to get all in hand.
          That’s going to be one heckuva exciting Book Mail day when that big box arrives!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            I've been hemming and hawing about picking up THE SILENCE (I'll probably cave), but- I've been saying for quite awhile now that, as a huge long-time Lansdale fanatic and serious collector- SST's PARADISE SKY is absolutely one of the best Lansdale limiteds ever produced. It's just a gorgeous book- especially for the price! It's a real bargain, and I don't understand why it's still available. It's also Joe's self-proclaimed favorite novel of his, so- everyone should have one! Congrats- you're gonna love it!

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

I've been hemming and hawing about picking up THE SILENCE (I'll probably cave), but- I've been saying for quite awhile now that, as a huge long-time Lansdale fanatic and serious collector- SST's PARADISE SKY is absolutely one of the best Lansdale limiteds ever produced. It's just a gorgeous book- especially for the price! It's a real bargain, and I don't understand why it's still available. It's also Joe's self-proclaimed favorite novel of his, so- everyone should have one! Congrats- you're gonna love it!
              I completely agree. PARADISE SKY might have been the first SST book I purchased and it is still available. It boggles the mind. Same thing with Earthling's The Thicket.

I can't speak for the story, but The Silence is a gorgeous book with Vaillancourt's stunning art. I can't wait to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I completely agree. PARADISE SKY might have been the first SST book I purchased and it is still available. It boggles the mind. Same thing with Earthling's The Thicket.

I can't speak for the story, but The Silence is a gorgeous book with Vaillancourt's stunning art. I can't wait to read it.
                The Thicket has that $150 price tag, which doesn't help. It's not as pricey as a Suntup Edition, but it's definitely higher than the normal signed edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

The Thicket has that $150 price tag, which doesn't help. It's not as pricey as a Suntup Edition, but it's definitely higher than the normal signed edition.
                  Yeah it's pricier than most Earthling books, but I think it's worth it. It's leather bound with wonderful art.

Comment

Yeah it's pricier than most Earthling books, but I think it's worth it. It's leather bound with wonderful art.
                    That's not always enough. It's a combination of everything, price vs quality, perceived value, author's popularity, ease of purchase, the publisher's reach. It's all these things mixed together. We struggle with this too sometimes (with titles at a much lower price). Take Mystery Road for example. It's been reviewed fairly well, is reasonably priced, and CD has a fairly large reach for our industry. Yet we still have loads of copies left and probably will for quite awhile. No idea why it worked out that way, but it's some combination of all of those things, plus the economic situation of the world at the moment.

Specifically about Earthling (and I don't mean any offense), their site really needs a functionality update. Any point of "friction" you provide a potential customer is place to loose a sale. You want to make it as easy as possible for a customer to buy your products. I'm pretty tech savy and it took me a couple of minutes to find where to buy it at on their site. On top of that they've got a real google search results problem. If you search "the thicket by joe lansdale limited edition" Dark Regions page selling the book is the first result, but Earthling's page is no where to be found. I'm not really sure how best you solve this, but I would think a website / store overhaul would go a long way. Ideally Earthling would want anyone searching for "The Thicket by Joe Lansdale" to find their page on the first page of results, but that can be a bit harder with something that has other editions published by other publishers.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I collect Lansdale, but don't have either book, so the reasons for my reluctance may be representative as to why both remain available (or not, maybe I'm just an outlier). Price is the only reason for Earthling's THE THICKET, and the words "Illustrated Edition" on the SST edition of PARADISE SKY is the reason I've avoided that volume. I know the latter reason seems ridiculous (especially since it's on the boards and not the dj, I believe), but for whatever reason it bothers me to no end and, in my eyes, cheapens the book though its amateurish proclamation. I'm also not a particular fan of glossy image boards, though I tolerate it from PS. This is with all due respect to Paul at SST, who I think (as I said just recently) now turns out the best bang for the buck among UK small presses, a Subterranean Press with an English accent, just a beautiful, professional product of which I'm proud to own a number of (and have several more on pre-order). But this early edition of PARADISE SKY just strikes me as in contrast to that.

So that's why. For some collectors, it's a central, obvious thing like price, for others it can be the most innocuous, silly reason imaginable, like a couple of words on a glossy board. But when you're dealing all the idiosyncrasies that go into our hobby, sometimes it's the small stuff that makes all the difference to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

That's not always enough. It's a combination of everything, price vs quality, perceived value, author's popularity, ease of purchase, the publisher's reach. It's all these things mixed together. We struggle with this too sometimes (with titles at a much lower price). Take Mystery Road for example. It's been reviewed fairly well, is reasonably priced, and CD has a fairly large reach for our industry. Yet we still have loads of copies left and probably will for quite awhile. No idea why it worked out that way, but it's some combination of all of those things, plus the economic situation of the world at the moment.

Specifically about Earthling (and I don't mean any offense), their site really needs a functionality update. Any point of "friction" you provide a potential customer is place to loose a sale. You want to make it as easy as possible for a customer to buy your products. I'm pretty tech savy and it took me a couple of minutes to find where to buy it at on their site. On top of that they've got a real google search results problem. If you search "the thicket by joe lansdale limited edition" Dark Regions page selling the book is the first result, but Earthling's page is no where to be found. I'm not really sure how best you solve this, but I would think a website / store overhaul would go a long way. Ideally Earthling would want anyone searching for "The Thicket by Joe Lansdale" to find their page on the first page of results, but that can be a bit harder with something that has other editions published by other publishers.
                        It's obvious Paul Miller isn't making a living as a publisher. He's doing one or two books a year and he has inventory going back years. I'd love to see him do more with this press. I've loved nearly everything I got from him.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I collect Lansdale, but don't have either book, so the reasons for my reluctance may be representative as to why both remain available (or not, maybe I'm just an outlier). Price is the only reason for Earthling's THE THICKET, and the words "Illustrated Edition" on the SST edition of PARADISE SKY is the reason I've avoided that volume. I know the latter reason seems ridiculous (especially since it's on the boards and not the dj, I believe), but for whatever reason it bothers me to no end and, in my eyes, cheapens the book though its amateurish proclamation. I'm also not a particular fan of glossy image boards, though I tolerate it from PS. This is with all due respect to Paul at SST, who I think (as I said just recently) now turns out the best bang for the buck among UK small presses, a Subterranean Press with an English accent, just a beautiful, professional product of which I'm proud to own a number of (and have several more on pre-order). But this early edition of PARADISE SKY just strikes me as in contrast to that.

So that's why. For some collectors, it's a central, obvious thing like price, for others it can be the most innocuous, silly reason imaginable, like a couple of words on a glossy board. But when you're dealing all the idiosyncrasies that go into our hobby, sometimes it's the small stuff that makes all the difference to someone.
                          Yeah, I don't like the King blurbs on the Tremblay DJs. They might make sense for a mass market hardcover or paperback, but it's a misfire on a limited DJ. THAT SAID, this is how you and are are different. I'll talk myself out of the little things I don't like if it means I get to go broke buying books.

Comment

Yeah, I don't like the King blurbs on the Tremblay DJs. They might make sense for a mass market hardcover or paperback, but it's a misfire on a limited DJ. THAT SAID, this is how you and are are different. I'll talk myself out of the little things I don't like if it means I get to go broke buying books.
                            ...and with more unread books even now than I’ll ever have a chance to read in this lifetime, I’m always looking for reasons to avoid an otherwise alluring purchase, however minor they may be...I’m great at blowing things out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Ron- you lost me: You're uninterested in a beautiful, "cheap" Lansdale limited edition (the only limited of this novel- his self-proclaimed "best")- because of the words "Illustrated Edition" printed on the front board (in almost tiny font, at that)? Ok. As you say- we all have our reasons. I, too, was put off at first mention of printed "glossy" boards, and dislike them as much as you. I will say, though- gladly- that SST's PARADISE SKY does NOT have glossy boards- they are actually very matte- which is a much better look. It also is illustrated, and admirably so by Ben Baldwin. The zero type wrap-around painted DJ is great, with dare-I-say stunning sepia toned endpapaers, and a truly generous amount of actually "good" (we've all seen the bad ones) b & w illos throughout- this is a fine book. Would I prefer a rich cloth binding a la Centipede? All day, every day. But, if that is the only knock on it- this is still a steal. Your mileage will vary, I know!

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Ron- you lost me: You're uninterested in a beautiful, "cheap" Lansdale limited edition (the only limited of this novel- his self-proclaimed "best")- because of the words "Illustrated Edition" printed on the front board (in almost tiny font, at that)? Ok. As you say- we all have our reasons. I, too, was put off at first mention of printed "glossy" boards, and dislike them as much as you. I will say, though- gladly- that SST's PARADISE SKY does NOT have glossy boards- they are actually very matte- which is a much better look. It also is illustrated, and admirably so by Ben Baldwin. The zero type wrap-around painted DJ is great, with dare-I-say stunning sepia toned endpapaers, and a truly generous amount of actually "good" (we've all seen the bad ones) b & w illos throughout- this is a fine book. Would I prefer a rich cloth binding a la Centipede? All day, every day. But, if that is the only knock on it- this is still a steal. Your mileage will vary, I know!
                                Man, with a sales job like that, Ron, you’re honestly making me reconsider my stance on this book.

Comment

Working...
                                X