Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I saw that in Camelot’s email today. Very cool surprise for those who snagged a lettered copy when originally offered, especially since “Throttle” and “In The Tall Grass” were co-written by King.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    So apparently Subterranean Press added Mr. Kings signature to the Lettered editions of Full Throttle.
    Lettered Full Throttle.jpg

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

My RB only went for $605 on eBay. Well below published price. The AGE seems to be more desirable in this case.
    Yeah I think that's kinda crazy. The numbered RB is stunning. Though the RB AGE is the best AGE Suntup has published (just barely inching out Red Dragon--barely).

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

My opinion on why some shoot way up and others just maintain--HORNS and Rosemary's Baby both began at high prices. Maybe the top of what people are willing to spend for a book with a Hill signature and one with a Palahniuk. So that's where they sit. Hill House and The Road began at a lower price so there was plenty of room to go up. The odd thing is neither were signed by the author and they've exceeded the value of Horns and RB. Then there's Red Dragon and Let The Right One In. Both signed by the authors and both are the first time as limited editions. Both also started at prices lower than Horns and RB. The value of those books have EXPLODED. I think RD (one available for $1800 on eBay right now from Bad Moon Books) shot up on the speculation that Suntup will be stalking Lecter.

I think both Horns and Rosemary's Baby are AMAZING books and I really don't see why they're not going for $1k each. Plus so many goats and anacondas died for our pleasure.

Anyway, the facts contradict and confound my opinion, so I'll leave you no better than when you started reading. I'm a time vamp.
    My RB only went for $605 on eBay. Well below published price. The AGE seems to be more desirable in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I watch aftermarket values only to inform future purchasing decisions. It'll tell me if it's a book I need to jump on immediately? Or do I have time? Should I wait for it to go on the secondary? Which is funny because I never wait. I never use what I learn. So basically, I watch the secondary to validate my impulsive, impatient buying.

Ultimately I agree with the final value being how the book makes you feel.
    I prefer to have my "impulsive, impatient buying" decisions to be of the uninformed variety. I easily passed on some Angel set of books because I knew nothing of the author or the story. People kept mentioning a movie but I was unaware of the movie and it allowed passing to be painless. Then some guy did an unboxing video and talked about the movie in some detail and I realized I had seen and enjoyed the movie. See, had I been informed it would have cost me money as I would have bought the set. Ignorance is bliss!

The final value is indeed how it makes you feel. I also accept that the price you paid can influence that.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

How you are formulating your value in the books is fair. I only consider the retail at time of purchase. Once I have the books in hand all are valued with the same criteria. I also have no thoughts on aftermarket values as I simply do not follow them.
    I watch aftermarket values only to inform future purchasing decisions. It'll tell me if it's a book I need to jump on immediately? Or do I have time? Should I wait for it to go on the secondary? Which is funny because I never wait. I never use what I learn. So basically, I watch the secondary to validate my impulsive, impatient buying.

Ultimately I agree with the final value being how the book makes you feel.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    No, I do mean ALL Joe Hill editions. I do have a numbered Suntup HORNS, and a Subpress NOS4A2 (in slipcase). I still think FULL THROTTLE is the better of the 3 productions. I don't ever factor in what anything is "worth" on the open market. Just how it makes me feel when I sit with it, and page through and read. $ does factor into how I feel about a book, but only what I spent on it. In the case of HORNS- I personally feel that I overspent on it. It just doesn't feel like a $700 book to me, unfortunately. It's very nice, but that crazy-high price does factor into my overall enjoyment of the book. Honestly- I get a much better vibe from the Gift edition- I feel good about what I spent on it, vis-a-vie how I experience it in reading mode. I completely understand I may be in the minority in this opinion (and I certainly mean no disrespect to Paul- I have MOST of his books, and am very happy with them), but it is a careful, honest opinion of a dude who absolutely loves fine books, and has had many of the good ones going back 30 years (incidentally- can anyone explain just why HORNS seems to be the only Suntup book that just won't increase in value, when even the newest unreleased books already go for double their respective published price? Please explain because it baffles me!).

FULL THROTTLE is a joy, right out of the box, and I'll say a "good" price, for what is there. It was still on the high end: as a savvy publisher, Bill has always known just how much to push the price of his "event" books- just to the breaking point. Bastard (Wait- didn't he indeed break it awhile back with Summer of Night? Issued a price retraction, and a Mea Culpa, if I remember right. Again- Bastard!).
    How you are formulating your value in the books is fair. I only consider the retail at time of purchase. Once I have the books in hand all are valued with the same criteria. I also have no thoughts on aftermarket values as I simply do not follow them.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Good question why Horns isn't increasing. I recently sold two of the S/L's for $750 and at the same time sold two AGE's of Rosemary's Baby for $300 and probably could have gotten $350. Nuts that an AGE went for that much.
    My opinion on why some shoot way up and others just maintain--HORNS and Rosemary's Baby both began at high prices. Maybe the top of what people are willing to spend for a book with a Hill signature and one with a Palahniuk. So that's where they sit. Hill House and The Road began at a lower price so there was plenty of room to go up. The odd thing is neither were signed by the author and they've exceeded the value of Horns and RB. Then there's Red Dragon and Let The Right One In. Both signed by the authors and both are the first time as limited editions. Both also started at prices lower than Horns and RB. The value of those books have EXPLODED. I think RD (one available for $1800 on eBay right now from Bad Moon Books) shot up on the speculation that Suntup will be stalking Lecter.

I think both Horns and Rosemary's Baby are AMAZING books and I really don't see why they're not going for $1k each. Plus so many goats and anacondas died for our pleasure.

Anyway, the facts contradict and confound my opinion, so I'll leave you no better than when you started reading. I'm a time vamp.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    No, I do mean ALL Joe Hill editions. I do have a numbered Suntup HORNS, and a Subpress NOS4A2 (in slipcase). I still think FULL THROTTLE is the better of the 3 productions. I don't ever factor in what anything is "worth" on the open market. Just how it makes me feel when I sit with it, and page through and read. $ does factor into how I feel about a book, but only what I spent on it. In the case of HORNS- I personally feel that I overspent on it. It just doesn't feel like a $700 book to me, unfortunately. It's very nice, but that crazy-high price does factor into my overall enjoyment of the book. Honestly- I get a much better vibe from the Gift edition- I feel good about what I spent on it, vis-a-vie how I experience it in reading mode. I completely understand I may be in the minority in this opinion (and I certainly mean no disrespect to Paul- I have MOST of his books, and am very happy with them), but it is a careful, honest opinion of a dude who absolutely loves fine books, and has had many of the good ones going back 30 years (incidentally- can anyone explain just why HORNS seems to be the only Suntup book that just won't increase in value, when even the newest unreleased books already go for double their respective published price? Please explain because it baffles me!).

FULL THROTTLE is a joy, right out of the box, and I'll say a "good" price, for what is there. It was still on the high end: as a savvy publisher, Bill has always known just how much to push the price of his "event" books- just to the breaking point. Bastard (Wait- didn't he indeed break it awhile back with Summer of Night? Issued a price retraction, and a Mea Culpa, if I remember right. Again- Bastard!).
    Good question why Horns isn't increasing. I recently sold two of the S/L's for $750 and at the same time sold two AGE's of Rosemary's Baby for $300 and probably could have gotten $350. Nuts that an AGE went for that much.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied

Last edited by swintek; 08-12-2020, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

I really like it but I still place NOS4A2 from Subterranean Press and Horns from Suntup Editions above this one.
    I was gonna say Suntup's Horns is definitely the pinnacle in both it's numbered and lettered state but didn't know if Ron meant volume as in a collection of Hill's stories.
    Last edited by Brian861; 08-12-2020, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I agree about McKean's art in this edition. This might be my favorite of all of the Subpress books he's designed. Hard to explain, but sometimes they just feel right and sometimes they don't. This one immediately jumped out at me as a beautifully illustrated and designed volume. I was really pleasantly surprised. Not that I expected to dislike it- I just didn't expect to like it as much as I do. I think it's probably the nicest Joe Hill volume issued yet by anyone.
    I really like it but I still place NOS4A2 from Subterranean Press and Horns from Suntup Editions above this one.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    I agree about McKean's art in this edition. This might be my favorite of all of the Subpress books he's designed. Hard to explain, but sometimes they just feel right and sometimes they don't. This one immediately jumped out at me as a beautifully illustrated and designed volume. I was really pleasantly surprised. Not that I expected to dislike it- I just didn't expect to like it as much as I do. I think it's probably the nicest Joe Hill volume issued yet by anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Decided to post a photo of the five items I have signed by Joe Hill from Subterranean Press. The only two that match in size are The Weight of Words and Full Throttle. Of course one is a broadside print.
    IMG_1150~photo.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has received their copy of the limited edition from SubPress yet. If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on the design of the book. I received my copy yesterday and, sad to say, this is one of the very few times that I have been disappointed in a SubPress book. While I like the cover art and production within the book, I am very disappointed by the size/design of the book itself. The book and slipcase are very wide/long instead of tall making for an oddly shaped book. Just flipping through it felt weird due to the size and it sticks out from the shelf big-time. Wish they would have went with the standard length/height of a traditional release or made it oversized instead of making it small and long. Also wish they would have listed this design oddity/feature in their product description, especially with the high price-point of this book. I assumed that it would be in line with the size of their previous Joe Hill releases; however, this one is an oddity when placed next to those. Perhaps there will be people that dig this design feature, but, for me, it just doesn't work.
    I have my copy and like it better than I expected to. The dimensions were listed when the item was offered. I clearly recall thinking that it will match The Weight of Words. I had no reservations about the size but was not excited about the art. The art looks better in the book than I anticipated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X