Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Really enjoyed it on Netflix but haven't gotten around to reading it.
    I concur, the Netflix mini series was quite enjoyable. I've never read the book myself, but do own a copy (to read one stormy fall night).

Mulleins
    Last edited by mulleins; 04-19-2020, 10:13 PM.
    I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Originally posted by mulleins View Post
      I concur, the Netflix mini series was quite enjoyable. I've never read the book myself, but do own a copy (to read one stormy fall night).

Mulleins
      I watched the Hill House series on Netflix right after reading the book. And while I loved both, they are entirely different stories. The series took all the characters and did a complete remix on who they are in relation to each other and made a very chilling and dark family drama centering on trauma, addictions, and mental health.

Shirley Jackson wrote a brilliant book. And whatever walked there walked alone.
      And Mike Flanagan did an altogether new brilliant series with it.

Comment

So now that the dust has settled over the new announcement, I guess I'll throw my two cents in (or in other words, "Hey, I'm late to the discussion, but I'm going to post anyway, darn it!"):

I applaud what Paul is doing with this book. "The Lottery" is one of the most iconic stories in the genre and it absolutely deserves a beautiful edition and Paul will undoubtedly deliver. But--cause there's always a "but"--there is no way I'd be on board for a $350 edition of a short story, let alone an almost $2000 lettered edition of said short story. I just can't justify it. I am glad that we live in a world where such works are celebrated and there are still people who love them enough to pay such amounts.

Comment

I will admit I had never heard of or read the story before.

Since then I have read it. It's a good short story and I can imagine that it caused a stir when it was published.

Happy to be have been introduced to it and glad to have read it.

It seems fitting in this day and age.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Like a lot of people, I first read The Lottery when I was in high school. I was a freshman and it was assigned reading from my Comp/Lit teacher Mr. Stephen Lee. After all of the students had read the story we watched the 1969 short film in class. Lots of Oscar-worthy performances in that one. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQQoMCaUz5Y

Comment

Interesting. Ed Begley Jr. was in this.

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
              Like a lot of people, I first read The Lottery when I was in high school. I was a freshman and it was assigned reading from my Comp/Lit teacher Mr. Stephen Lee. After all of the students had read the story we watched the 1969 short film in class. Lots of Oscar-worthy performances in that one. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQQoMCaUz5Y

Comment

I am squarely on the fence about the book that will go on sale Saturday. Extremely intrigued but not wanting to spend that much right now.

Comment

The email went to everyone and the book is showing up on the homepage, no need to be coy about it

https://suntup.press/bibliomysteries

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I am squarely on the fence about the book that will go on sale Saturday. Extremely intrigued but not wanting to spend that much right now.
                    I’m fine with the (expanded) trade HCs I have. Great to see them expand into this new genre, but this one isn’t in the cards for me.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I didn't expect there to be a lot of fence sitters on this one. Either those who love it or pass easily. I was on the fence when he announced a mystery anthology (not a huge fan of anthologies though I'm unboxing one tonight) but seeing the book and that art (stunning!) I'm thrilled to add it to my never-shrinking pre-order list.

Fortunately or not, this edition seems to be selling super-fast. These Suntups are gaining steam. And there might not be many available for the Saturday pre-order window. Selling faster (when compared to the same time frame with previous releases) doesn't mean selling more and having fewer available for the public, but I think it's selling faster than The Lottery.

Comment

It is really cool that someone can have passion projects, and the means, to pursue them. Kudos to Suntup.

Comment

Down to 125 numbered and 9 lettered right now. It'll be interesting to see what's left by Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                            The email went to everyone and the book is showing up on the homepage, no need to be coy about it

https://suntup.press/bibliomysteries
                            I certainly was not being coy. If I was not sure it had been publicly announced I would have kept my trap shut.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                              I didn't expect there to be a lot of fence sitters on this one. Either those who love it or pass easily. I was on the fence when he announced a mystery anthology (not a huge fan of anthologies though I'm unboxing one tonight) but seeing the book and that art (stunning!) I'm thrilled to add it to my never-shrinking pre-order list.

Fortunately or not, this edition seems to be selling super-fast. These Suntups are gaining steam. And there might not be many available for the Saturday pre-order window. Selling faster (when compared to the same time frame with previous releases) doesn't mean selling more and having fewer available for the public, but I think it's selling faster than The Lottery.
                              I am dead center on that fence at the moment. If I am being completely honest when I find myself in this position I purchase the book more often than I pass. I would have much rather he had an offer that did not interest me but no such luck this time.

Comment

I certainly was not being coy. If I was not sure it had been publicly announced I would have kept my trap shut.
                                Well, I'm going to build you a pond all the same

Comment

Working...
                                X