Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed my mind and did order the Gift Edition. ~Cap
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Not sure if you've ever ordered from Paul, Cap but the books are packed extremely well. Cased in custom foam.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Well, I love what I get from CD. Art or no art.
      Ha. For interior art with us it's usually just about the price point of the title as a whole. It's very, very rarely you'll see interiors on one of our titles where the main editions is under $100 (with the exception of the Signature Series, as art is the whole point of the series). Sometimes the lack of art is the authors choice / preference (including cover art). Though I can only think of a handful of titles where the author didn't want any art on the book at all.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
        I changed my mind and did order the Gift Edition. ~Cap
        Good choice!

Comment

Part I

If I think back to the spark of inspiration or the overarching vision of the press at its infancy, it was (and still is) about the desire to produce a book in such a way, so as to stand alongside some of the finest throughout the history of it all. I only travel the path, head bowed in reverence to the giants who came before, and humbly take my crack at it. Whether that goal is being achieved or not may be up for debate, but at the heart of it, is the desire. The essence of something that is not of modern times, but rather quite ancient.

I consider myself an amateur. But I am one armed with the desire to produce a book. If I were to ask myself, what do I appreciate more. Paper or signature. Printing process or signature. Craft or signature. Tactility or signature. Scent or signature. History or signature. Art or signature. Binding design and execution or signature. Legacy or signature and so on...my answer would always be with the former; in every case.

What I do is about the book. The book is the book is the book. The signature is not the book. This extends not only to the unique elements of production and materials, but also to the written word. It is driven by that. The story. The author. The worlds that exist only in our minds, the escape, the reach of it. The impact on popular culture, or the literary landscape. The great minds, the thinkers and dreamers, and yes in the words of Mr. Jobs, the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. On the physical plane, that is who I serve. These people, and their words.

And how do I do that? By making the best book I know how, and thereby honoring them in this way. And I tell you, signature has little to do with any of that. Nor does it have much at all to do with cost of production. What does is the materials, the paper, the printing, the binding, and so on. When I make a book, I am saying to the author, living or not; you are a genius. You moved me and so many others. And for that, I offer this.

Part II

Because of my lifelong love for this genre, this popular and fan culture, most of the books I make, and will continue to make fall within that space. And it is a space not entirely accustomed to the type of book I feel compelled to create. This is not uncharted territory, but I do feel that it is not often travelled.

Many of the questions that come up are entirely valid. I honor them and respect them. The discussions that ensue are a good thing. A great thing. And then there are the opinions deficient in facts which would otherwise give them heft. We are presented with a chasm. We have become accustomed to equate price with signature for so long. We have become used to a certain price point, a level of quality. A look. A feel. I respect that. But with me producing what I am, at times it may require a paradigm shift.

For some, it is jarring--an opportunity to criticize; and for others it is an entirely welcome and joyous event. And still for others, it is simply not their cup of tea and that is absolutely fine. You are not less than or more than for your pull toward or away from. You simply are, and should be anchored in that. As am I. Who I seek are lovers of the type of book I produce. Or those who perhaps did not put too much thought into it, but now do.

I do not seek unending praise, but that which has come my way has been genuine and heartfelt, and for this I am most grateful. I am grateful to everyone who have supported the press, both as a customer or simply by cheering me on. I did not expect most of this, nor the level of enthusiasm for the books we make. It inspires me. It drives me to continue on. And if I mess up, don't be afraid to tell me. Constructively. Respectfully. Ask rather than judge. Comment with the armor of fact instead of the inefficiency of assumption. Or just speak your mind! I get a kick out of that too.

Is there longevity in this? In some ways, that's irrelevant. The relevancy lies in the creating. And if there are people who rise to it, then it is meant to be that way. I seek to live an authentic life. We so often, and for so long, do not. And there is authenticity on this path and in the product of these immense efforts. And that is all I can ask for.

Part III

So as not to entirely diminish the signature as an integral part of the book, having been a collector and a fan, I understand the value and importance of it to many of us. It may not drive me, but I do not ignore it. Am I after a McCarthy signature? You bet I am!

If through all of this, I do something to make you smile. To take you away from the pain points, to excite and animate. To inspire. To change your state from this to that, to give you pause. To pump the blood. To lift you off the ground. To make you feel alive. To champion the idea of following your dreams, no matter how impossible they may seem. Then I have done my job, and that alone is worth dedicating my life to.

Comment

Thanks for that, Paul. I, for one, love your books, although so far I've only gone for the Gift Editions. I need to send as much as possible to my retirement accounts

Comment

Paul, thanks for the perspective. Although not all your books will appeal to me, I respect the art you are producing each and every time you release one.

I was able to get Joe to sign my Suntup Horns ARC last night as well!

Comment

Again, great words Paul. It's been wild watching your press stand, stretch, and run. It's also been slightly unnerving how perfectly it checks off everything on my wish list. From the selection of the books to the way they're brought to life. It's unnerving because these are exactly, precisely, absolutely the books I want. When you announced the Road I almost died. If you announce another particular title, I will. But beyond all that it's a joy to witness you bring your dream to life and live it. It is inspiring. And every time I buy a book from you and from the fantastic folks here at CD, SubPress, Earthling, SST, Centipede Press, I'm investing in that dream. I'm investing in the people. It's why we all know your names. Thunderstorm is Paul. Centipede is Jerad. CD is Brian, Richard, Mindy, and Dan (hell, even New Dan!).

Shit, I've wandered from the point. I do that.

I'm just glad to be here. With you all. And I appreciate your words, Paul.

Comment

Hey Paul, I just want you to know that this was mostly a conversation about the business as a whole and not really about your particular business. I actually find the way you've decided to approach the small press world quite interesting.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    Hey Paul, I just want you to know that this was mostly a conversation about the business as a whole and not really about your particular business. I actually find the way you've decided to approach the small press world quite interesting.
                    Thanks Dan. I thought the discussion was great, and yes I'm on the same page. My response was not directed at any comment or member specifically, even though I did write about signatures which was actually discussed. It's not the first time that has come up. I haven't written anything in my 'voice' for some time, but after reading the thread, it sparked something for me to write what I posted. The post was more of a general comment on how I feel about what I do and why I do it. Could have just been something that was percolating and had come out of reading many posts across forums and social media over the past year or so. All is good.
                    Last edited by Paul Suntup; 10-02-2019, 09:32 PM.

Comment

FYI - Might be of interest.
                      Kindle edition of Brother is on sale for $1.99
                      https://amzn.to/2n8ID5Q
                      I'm picking it up myself before the Suntup edition comes out

Comment

Originally posted by jsweet View Post
                        FYI - Might be of interest.
                        Kindle edition of Brother is on sale for $1.99
                        https://amzn.to/2n8ID5Q
                        I'm picking it up myself before the Suntup edition comes out
                        Thanks for posting. That is a great price.

Comment

Did anyone else receive their gift edition of Rosemary's Baby yet? Mine came today. It's a beautiful edition. I have one question? Anybody else get a copy that when the dustjacket is removed there is another book title on the other side?
                          Last edited by bookworm 1; 10-12-2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I did not purchase one of these. However do you mean that on the inside of the DJ it has the book title as well?

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Did anyone else receive their gift edition of Rosemary's Baby yet? Mine came today. It's a beautiful edition. I have one question? Anybody else get a copy that when the dustjacket is removed there is another book title on the other side?
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              I did not purchase one of these. However do you mean that on the inside of the DJ it has the book title as well?
                              No the back of the DJ has a different DJ for another book by another author. I tried to take a picture and upload it but I keep getting a you don't have permission to do this note. It is for a book called All of them Witches by J.R. Hanslet. It's a brown cover with a snake with its tail in its mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                No the back of the DJ has a different DJ for another book by another author. I tried to take a picture and upload it but I keep getting a you don't have permission to do this note. It is for a book called All of them Witches by J.R. Hanslet. It's a brown cover with a snake with its tail in its mouth.
                                The book All of them Witches is a key component of the story. This is by design.

Comment

Working...
                                X