Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    While I don't have a 'no duplicates" rule, I do try and evaluate my need for any potential duplicate books, especially at this price point.

Needless to say, I didn't buy it (I do have the SubPress version) - plus I just dropped $200 on a SubPress pre-order the night before.

Congrats to those who got one.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats!

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I went for the Classic Edition, which I see is sold out this morning. 

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I went for the Classic Edition, which I see is sold out this morning. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    You know, really surprised that over 11 hours after it was announced, the book hasn’t sold out yet.  I mean 750 copies is A LOT, especially at that price point, but I was sure it would be gone by noon PST.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

That’s exactly my situation, and I’m sitting here trying to figure out what to do as I watch the copy-count tick down. That McCammon signed the AE is a definite plus; the $175 price tag is not. I’ve gotta decide soon, I’m sure it’ll sell out within the hour. Maybe I need to look at my Sub Press edition, see if I can just appreciate what I already own.

EDIT: Okay, well, looking at the Sub Press edition helped. I think with a lower limitation of 474 vs. 750, art that is, to my eye, just as good if not better than the Suntup, and the oversized format, I'm going to stick with the Sub Press edition only. It pains me to pass on this Suntup edition, given my affection for the book and author, but viewing again the awesomeness of the Sub Press edition helps. I also have a personalized trade HC 1st of the book, so a triple redundancy would really violate my red line of no duplicate/variant editions. Like Sock Monkey, if I didn't have the Sub Press edition, though, I'd be all over this new Suntup offering.
    I could have typed this word for word! I literally just pulled my SubPress copy down to make me feel better about passing on the Suntup and now don't feel nearly as bad, even though a part of me wishes still wishes that I could own it, just because of how much I love this story!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Well I've looked again at the art and it's just not for me. I typically like David Palumbo but this looks very much like computer generated stuff which loses something for me. 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Still really torn about this one and think it may come down to the design/potential extra features. This is truly one of my favorite books, but I do have the SubPress LE edition (which does have a slipcase which is rare for SubPress these days) and I've been trying to stick to my "no duplicate books" rule for my collection. But still, a McCammon book getting the Suntup treatment just might be enough for me to break my rule. )
    That’s exactly my situation, and I’m sitting here trying to figure out what to do as I watch the copy-count tick down. That McCammon signed the AE is a definite plus; the $175 price tag is not. I’ve gotta decide soon, I’m sure it’ll sell out within the hour. Maybe I need to look at my Sub Press edition, see if I can just appreciate what I already own.

EDIT: Okay, well, looking at the Sub Press edition helped. I think with a lower limitation of 474 vs. 750, art that is, to my eye, just as good if not better than the Suntup, and the oversized format, I'm going to stick with the Sub Press edition only. It pains me to pass on this Suntup edition, given my affection for the book and author, but viewing again the awesomeness of the Sub Press edition helps. I also have a personalized trade HC 1st of the book, so a triple redundancy would really violate my red line of no duplicate/variant editions. Like Sock Monkey, if I didn't have the Sub Press edition, though, I'd be all over this new Suntup offering.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 01-18-2024, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I knew this would be most likely be a pass for me due to already owning the oversized Sub Press edition, but I will say without a doubt that these are some very beautiful editions.  If I was in the market for one, I would be all over one of these.  As I already have a limited of the book and I'm not a Suntup collector, the $175 price point made this a very easy pass.  Congrats to those who get one, though.  I'm sure they will look good on the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Well it is Boy's Life.

In all honesty I do not like the art or the price point. I am passing on this.

Hugely disappointing but good for my bank account.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I 100% understand. I don't have the money for this purchase but almost feel like it's a must have for my collection.

If this happens to be anything other than McCammon of I just hate the look of it it will be a little of a relief. $$ is tight.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Still really torn about this one and think it may come down to the design/potential extra features. This is truly one of my favorite books, but I do have the SubPress LE edition (which does have a slipcase which is rare for SubPress these days) and I've been trying to stick to my "no duplicate books" rule for my collection. But still, a McCammon book getting the Suntup treatment just might be enough for me to break my rule. In a way, it would make my day if it ends up being another book so I don't have to make a decsion.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I am looking forward to today's announcement. If it is Boy's Life I will likely be a buyer. I don't have the Sub Press edition, a 1st 1st, or anything other than a trade PB of this fantastic book.
    Â
    Still really torn about this one and think it may come down to the design/potential extra features. This is truly one of my favorite books, but I do have the SubPress LE edition (which does have a slipcase which is rare for SubPress these days) and I've been trying to stick to my "no duplicate books" rule for my collection. But still, a McCammon book getting the Suntup treatment just might be enough for me to break my rule. In a way, it would make my day if it ends up being another book so I don't have to make a decsion.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I am looking forward to today's announcement. If it is Boy's Life I will likely be a buyer. I don't have the Sub Press edition, a 1st 1st, or anything other than a trade PB of this fantastic book.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

If you're on Facebook, you can always post it in one of the Rare King groups.

If you're not on Facebook, I can help you on that front and my commission is much less than eBay's. ;-)
    Like Sock Monkey I'm not on Facebook, so may have to someday take you up on that offer, Splync , or bite the bullet and join...at some point in the near future, some of my more desirable stuff is going to have to find new homes. I've done fairly well scraping off the easy(ish) stuff to let go on eBay over the last couple of years, but now that skin layer is about gone and I need to start digging into the muscle. It's going to hurt, but it's necessary if I don't want to move thousands of books to a potential new home...but if it's going to hurt that much, I'd rather not pour salt onto that exposed muscle by continuing to pay 16% eBay fees.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

If you're not on Facebook, I can help you on that front and my commission is much less than eBay's. ;-)
    Yeah, I’m not a Facebook (or any social media) kinda guy.  This forum is about as far as I go.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I’m really considering doing the same thing for all the same reasons, but I haven’t quite decided yet. Maybe if I had an offering pending or something, but right now it would be going on eBay and those fees are killer. Things to think about, I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X