Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

    I can get behind a new oven - at least that's a fun purchase of sorts. I hated buying a new washer and dryer because it was such a boring purchase.
    I kinda liked getting a new washer last year. The old one was from 2007. The new one (LG) comes with an app that tells me when the wash is done, and has some useful cycles. The end-of-cycle music is not loud enough for me to hear it with the washer being in the basement, so the app is handy.

    Comment


      I was surprised at how many limited and lettered editions were available for sale this past weekend. When was the last time, if ever, that a Suntup lettered wasn't sold via lottery?

      Comment


        Camelot is offering their copies of Butcher Boy & Johnny Got His Gun at 50% off.  I already have them but figured I would post here in case someone has had their eye on them in the past. 

        Comment


          Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Camelot is offering their copies of Butcher Boy & Johnny Got His Gun at 50% off. I already have them but figured I would post here in case someone has had their eye on them in the past.
          I saw this and have been very tempted to pick up a copy of the AE of The Butcher Boy. It would be a complete impulse buy, so I'm trying to hold off.

          Camelot also has copies of the signed 2nd printing of Caitlin Kiernan's From Weird and Distant Shores at $50, which is great price as well.

          Comment


            Caught Suntup's facebook live stream yesterday before the new book announcement. It sounds like this is gonna be a pricey edition.

            He mentioned that the community guesses haven't zeroed in on the right book yet. My guess is it's going to be The Odyssey.

            Comment


              The Divine Comedy.

              https://suntup.press/the-divine-comedy/

              Looks beyond gorgeous.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

              Comment


                I will say that all the editions are incredibly beautiful and it is very clear that a lot of attention and love have been poured into these books. I'm curious to see how it'll sell.

                I will also say that this is the easiest "pass" for me ever. I understand the importance of the The Divine Comedy to literature, but I have absolutely no desire to read it.

                Congratulations to all who are excited about this edition and get a copy because it does look amazing.

                Comment


                  Glad for those who picked-up a copy of The Divine Comedy, but it was a hard pass for me. Just not the type of book that I am looking for from Suntup.

                  Comment


                    I'm stunned by the $15,000 pricetag on the Roman Numeral edition. Perhaps that's not out-of-line with typical Suntup pricing on those ultra limited top-tier volumes, but, wow. I've been collecting and involved in the small-press scene for 35 years, but I can't even conceive of paying that kind of money for any book, let alone a long prose-poem title like DANTE'S INFERNO. More power to those who choose to and to each their own, etc. etc., but that's just so foreign to me I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that kind of purchase.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      I'm stunned by the $15,000 pricetag on the Roman Numeral edition. Perhaps that's not out-of-line with typical Suntup pricing on those ultra limited top-tier volumes, but, wow. I've been collecting and involved in the small-press scene for 35 years, but I can't even conceive of paying that kind of money for any book, let alone a long prose-poem title like DANTE'S INFERNO. More power to those who choose to and to each their own, etc. etc., but that's just so foreign to me I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that kind of purchase.
                      That price tag on the Roman Numeral edition is TEN TIMES the amount that I've ever spent on a book. I just don't know if I could ever spend that much on a book. Of course, if I was in the financial situation where dropping $15K on a book was viewed as viewed as only a rather large stretch financially rather than, I don't know, financial suicide and grounds for a divorce, maybe I would drop that amount of money.

                      Comment


                        Any guesses as to August's book, "This epic masterpiece won the author the Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. Despite what the title might suggest, it would not be his last."? Sounds like the only one that I may be interested in next quarter. I'm sure American Gods will be nice in September but I'm not sure if I will be able to swing the price.

                        Comment


                          Guesses on the announcements in today's newsletter?

                          July: No idea, but McCarthy's THE ROAD would be awesome, but the description of it being a "non-genre" book wouldn't quite fit, in my opinion. Regardless of how "literary" the book is, it is a post-apocalyptic horror novel. LONESOME DOVE would be awesome as well, but the editions are signed by the author and McMurtry passed away in 2021.

                          August: Seems like SWAN SONG to me. It's a favorite, but just like with A BOY'S LIFE, I have the Sub Press edition, which is more than handsome, so it would take a lot to make me buy a new edition.

                          September: AMERICAN GODS

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            Guesses on the announcements in today's newsletter?

                            July: No idea, but McCarthy's THE ROAD would be awesome, but the description of it being a "non-genre" book wouldn't quite fit, in my opinion. Regardless of how "literary" the book is, it is a post-apocalyptic horror novel. LONESOME DOVE would be awesome as well, but the editions are signed by the author and McMurtry passed away in 2021.

                            August: Seems like SWAN SONG to me. It's a favorite, but just like with A BOY'S LIFE, I have the Sub Press edition, which is more than handsome, so it would take a lot to make me buy a new edition.

                            September: AMERICAN GODS
                            Man, didn't even think of Swan Song, but it fits for sure. Much like yourself, I have the SubPress; so, I'm not sure that I would grab the Suntup unless it blows my mind.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              Guesses on the announcements in today's newsletter?

                              July: No idea, but McCarthy's THE ROAD would be awesome, but the description of it being a "non-genre" book wouldn't quite fit, in my opinion. Regardless of how "literary" the book is, it is a post-apocalyptic horror novel. LONESOME DOVE would be awesome as well, but the editions are signed by the author and McMurtry passed away in 2021.

                              August: Seems like SWAN SONG to me. It's a favorite, but just like with A BOY'S LIFE, I have the Sub Press edition, which is more than handsome, so it would take a lot to make me buy a new edition.

                              September: AMERICAN GODS
                              No, the July edition says "The Lettered & Numbered editions are signed by the author of the afterword and the artist. The Artist edition is signed by the artist" -- so it's not signed by the author of the book, and LONESOME DOVE could then still fit. I know it's been high on the request list, so maybe...? It's certainly one I've recommended (even though I've yet to get through a complete reading of it, but someday...).

                              The hint for "his last" cerrtainly suggests SWAN SONG for August. Like their edition of BOY'S LIFE, I'm more than satisfied with the Sub Press edition (and I also have the Dark Harvest edition), so could easily pass on that one.

                              Consensus seems to be AMERICAN GODS on September.

                              So I'm thinking:

                              LONESOME DOVE
                              SWAN SONG
                              AMERICAN GODS
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

                                No, the July edition says "The Lettered & Numbered editions are signed by the author of the afterword and the artist. The Artist edition is signed by the artist" -- so it's not signed by the author of the book, and LONESOME DOVE could then still fit. I know it's been high on the request list, so maybe...? It's certainly one I've recommended (even though I've yet to get through a complete reading of it, but someday...).

                                The hint for "his last" cerrtainly suggests SWAN SONG for August. Like their edition of BOY'S LIFE, I'm more than satisfied with the Sub Press edition (and I also have the Dark Harvest edition), so could easily pass on that one.

                                Consensus seems to be AMERICAN GODS on September.

                                So I'm thinking:

                                LONESOME DOVE
                                SWAN SONG
                                AMERICAN GODS
                                There I go just skimming over descriptions instead of digging into them. Thanks for pointing that out as far as July. If it's LONESOME DOVE, then I would be very inclined to pick up a AE depending on the price.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X