Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I'm curious as to what the announcement will be this morning. Like others on the forum, if it's The Exorcist, that's going to be a very easy pass as I have Lonely Roads edition.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I am rooting for today's announcement to be Ron's suggestion!

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I posted this back on 1/8. With Paul's comments in mind (and I hijacked my wife's Facebook account to finally watch one of these live Suntup videos), I just can't see it being the majority's #1 choice. As I say below, I know it has a great deal of popularity, but I can't imagine it would sweep the survey to the degree that Paul indicates...so I no longer "figure it's a 50/50 shot" as it is almost certainly less likely than likely. I remain as curious as the rest of you.

If that's the case and it isn't your book, then perhaps we'll see if further down the road!

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    I posted this back on 1/8. With Paul's comments in mind (and I hijacked my wife's Facebook account to finally watch one of these live Suntup videos), I just can't see it being the majority's #1 choice. As I say below, I know it has a great deal of popularity, but I can't imagine it would sweep the survey to the degree that Paul indicates...so I no longer "figure it's a 50/50 shot" as it is almost certainly less likely than likely. I remain as curious as the rest of you.

Interesting, Ron. If tomorrow's revelation confirms your suggestion- and, indeed- involvement- I hope you are able to spill a few more details!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Paul contacted me a short while back to gain some unique follow-up information, including a scan, about a title that I suggested, one that I know has an immense amount of popularity and has been mentioned before, so if it's that one I know a good number of people, including me, will be very pleased. It has only had one limited treatment done before, but it was not numbered and was not from the smaller presses we typically discuss here...Paul's edition would truly be the first deluxe treatment worthy of the book's popularity and importance. I apologize for being cryptic or vague, but I figure it's a 50/50 shot and I don't want to either spread false rumors or blow the surprise, so I'll have to leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    If it is THE EXORCIST- I would be very surprised that it was the number one requested book for Paul. For all those same reasons you guys say above. In all those surveys- I always put SILENCE OF THE LAMBS as my number 1 choice, so that one didn't surprise me one bit.
    I didn't have The Exorcist in my requests at all, mostly because of already having the 40th Anniversary from Lonely Road. But then again, I didn't have any horror novels in my requests (Fight Club, Fear and Loathing, and Norwegian Wood).

But to me, I also don't think that The Exorcist is that outlandish as a highly requested book. That survey came out when Suntup had mostly horror novels under their belt, so it makes sense for a lot of the submissions to be horror based. And the film is one of the go to horror classics, which could lead people to name the book of the same name when put on the spot (similarly, there were several people who guessed "The Omen" for the second February book, despite it having never been a novel).

I can definitely see how it may have been the most related title.

I also think that it's more likely that a horror classic, like Dracula or Frankenstein, could have been the most requested title. Those titles are always people's go to novels.

As for my thoughts on those...

Frankenstein would make sense in terms of the books (except the AE) being made entirely by hand.

But I'm not sure why Paul and team would need to rush to secure the rights for a public domain novel. The same for Dracula...

Although, I know that Dacre Stoker had attempted to reclaim the rights a few years back. That could explain their rush, in case the book lost public domain status. HOWEVER, Dacre's quest was over five years ago and Paul said he's only been working on this for a year and a half or so.

We shall see tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Not sure what it will be however I will also be checking in at release time. Bank account is ready if it's something I really want.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Well Paul did not mention how everyone had guessed this one so maybe it is not the Exorcist.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    If it is THE EXORCIST- I would be very surprised that it was the number one requested book for Paul. For all those same reasons you guys say above. In all those surveys- I always put SILENCE OF THE LAMBS as my number 1 choice, so that one didn't surprise me one bit.
    Yeah that’s my reaction as well. I just couldn’t picture so many people asking for an edition of The Exorcist with so many already out there. I don’t have any of those editions so I’d be thrilled to finally have one—and a Suntup to boot. But I couldn’t imagine these long time collectors putting this in their top three.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Same on all points. I have the CD and Lonely Roads editions...two is already one too many, so I'd certainly be comfortable passing. Plus with Gauntlet's also floating around out there, that's three deluxe numbered editions...like you, I figure most collectors already have one, but perhaps market saturation isn't really an issue Paul is concerned with, he may just feel that it's important that he pay tribute to the work. Will certainly be curious to see what this title is, if for no other reason than to see what so many collectors chose as their #1 pick in the survey.
    Certainly would not be my top pick as there exists several nice editions. I only own the Lonely Roads 40th Anniversary and it is beautiful. The number of limited editions may explain why he is opting for letterpress on the numbered limited edition.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    If it ends up being the Exorcist I would probably pass as I already have a limited edition of that book. I personally prefer not to have multiple copies of the same book (not enough shelf space as it is). It would also surprise me as I would never have pegged that one as the most requested book in the survey, not that it isn't a fantastic & popular book. I just figured that most horror collectors would already have some sort of version of that book in their libraries and would instead choose something that hasn't had the limited treatment yet; or a book that isn't an easy find on the secondary market; or something by Stephen King (of course). Either way, I will be tuned in tomorrow to see what is offered and do hope that it is something that intrigues me.
    Same on all points. I have the CD and Lonely Roads editions...two is already one too many, so I'd certainly be comfortable passing. Plus with Gauntlet's also floating around out there, that's three deluxe numbered editions...like you, I figure most collectors already have one, but perhaps market saturation isn't really an issue Paul is concerned with, he may just feel that it's important that he pay tribute to the work. Will certainly be curious to see what this title is, if for no other reason than to see what so many collectors chose as their #1 pick in the survey.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

I totally agree and don't think it will be a King book either. I would just be surprised that one of his books didn't come in as the most requested. Not too many horror writers have his level of popularity, especially when you add in his recent resurgence in pop culture.
    It is possible that he did not include the King requests as they would be on a different track.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

With no reason other than person opinion I do not think it will be a King announcement. The reason for this opinion is that I believe Paul would have let people know that the current rights holders need no stress. If tomorrow the pre-order went to the King holders all the non-King holders would be wondering where their email was and he would be flooded with questions quickly.
    I totally agree and don't think it will be a King book either. I would just be surprised that one of his books didn't come in as the most requested. Not too many horror writers have his level of popularity, especially when you add in his recent resurgence in pop culture.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    If it ends up being the Exorcist I would probably pass as I already have a limited edition of that book. I personally prefer not to have multiple copies of the same book (not enough shelf space as it is). It would also surprise me as I would never have pegged that one as the most requested book in the survey, not that it isn't a fantastic & popular book. I just figured that most horror collectors would already have some sort of version of that book in their libraries and would instead choose something that hasn't had the limited treatment yet; or a book that isn't an easy find on the secondary market; or something by Stephen King (of course). Either way, I will be tuned in tomorrow to see what is offered and do hope that it is something that intrigues me.
    With no reason other than person opinion I do not think it will be a King announcement. The reason for this opinion is that I believe Paul would have let people know that the current rights holders need no stress. If tomorrow the pre-order went to the King holders all the non-King holders would be wondering where their email was and he would be flooded with questions quickly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X