Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I have had the same thoughts on the lettered. I have even debated entering a lottery if any copies remain. Then logic kicks in and I tell myself 1. You will not spend that much on a book 2. If you did spend that much on a book think of what else you could get. I will settle for the Artist and Limited editions.
    Your thought process is exactly what I go through. I'm always tempted by those high end books, but I start to think about all the other books I could get in lieu of just one super high-end books. I guess it all comes down to what a person really wants in their collection. I go back and forth all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Your thought process is exactly what I go through. I'm always tempted by those high end books, but I start to think about all the other books I could get in lieu of just one super high-end books. I guess it all comes down to what a person really wants in their collection. I go back and forth all the time.
      Same with me. While I wouldn't say I'm of the quantity-over-quality mindset (if I was, the limited-edition hobby would be a poor choice when cheap mass-market trade editions abound), I am content with getting the nicest edition that still allows me to purchase other nice editions, and not empty the budget in one fell swoop. That's why lettereds have never held an attraction for me...the diminishing returns math on it just doesn't work for me.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Same with me. While I wouldn't say I'm of the quantity-over-quality mindset (if I was, the limited-edition hobby would be a poor choice when cheap mass-market trade editions abound), I am content with getting the nicest edition that still allows me to purchase other nice editions, and not empty the budget in one fell swoop. That's why lettereds have never held an attraction for me...the diminishing returns math on it just doesn't work for me.
        I agree with all of this as well, and am of the same mind on Lettered editions, mostly. My mantra has always been: The nicest edition available- at a "reasonable" cost. There is deliberate wiggle-room in that mantra, and I use it accordingly. That's why lettered's that offer nothing more than a letter in place of a number on a limitation page are an very easy pass for me (even if in a traycase, with an extra piece of art I can probably view online somewhere). Additionally, it's why ARC's or Proofs have always held ZERO interest for me. A trade paperback of a book I can get in hardcover? Without the art? No thanks. Rarity is way down my list. It's all about the book quality, and story.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

I agree with all of this as well, and am of the same mind on Lettered editions, mostly. My mantra has always been: The nicest edition available- at a "reasonable" cost. There is deliberate wiggle-room in that mantra, and I use it accordingly. That's why lettered's that offer nothing more than a letter in place of a number on a limitation page are an very easy pass for me (even if in a traycase, with an extra piece of art I can probably view online somewhere). Additionally, it's why ARC's or Proofs have always held ZERO interest for me. A trade paperback of a book I can get in hardcover? Without the art? No thanks. Rarity is way down my list. It's all about the book quality, and story.
          The only difference between the numbered Later and the lettered is a traycase and a line on the signature page. So your thought above is exactly what I was thinking when I missed out on the lettered. Didn’t sting so much. I definitely wouldn’t pursue a lettered with so little to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

The only difference between the numbered Later and the lettered is a traycase and a line on the signature page. So your thought above is exactly what I was thinking when I missed out on the lettered. Didn’t sting so much. I definitely wouldn’t pursue a lettered with so little to gain.
            Man, I was stung by completely missing out on a signed numbered edition, despite being there early, on the correct page (you probably know what I mean), and refreshing, refreshing. The book simply never appeared. Had no such problems on the last go round years ago with JOYLAND. Oh well, lots of others in the same boat on LATER, I'm sure. I got an unsigned HC and it is very nice indeed for the price.

Comment

Man, I was stung by completely missing out on a signed numbered edition, despite being there early, on the correct page (you probably know what I mean), and refreshing, refreshing. The book simply never appeared. Had no such problems on the last go round years ago with JOYLAND. Oh well, lots of others in the same boat on LATER, I'm sure.
              Yep, I had the same negative experience from the same bad info. Having now read LATER, I’m not sure I’m particularly disappointed any longe about missing out, but it was still frustrating.

Comment

Yep, I had the same negative experience from the same bad info. Having now read LATER, I’m not sure I’m particularly disappointed any longe about missing out, but it was still frustrating.
                It's in my TBR Short Stack. It didn't impress you, Ron?

Comment

It's in my TBR Short Stack. It didn't impress you, Ron?
                  Not really. While it was relatively entertaining, like a forgettable TV movie (as opposed to the cinematic splendor of THE STAND or 'SALEM'S LOT), I just didn't buy the voice. With some of its wizened smugness and atypical references (doc-in-a-box, etc.), it just didn't seem to always fit the protagonist's age of 22 years...it was kind of uneven in that regard. King's a talented writer, of course, but he's also 73 years old, 51 years removed from his protagonist, and -- for me -- I just didn't quite buy the young voice this time around, not like JOYLAND. The open ending (being vague to avoid spoilers) also seemed anticlimactic and unnecessary if he's not planning to continue this as a series, and given that it's a HCC presumed standalone, that would seem not to be the case. A few other nigglings, too, but that's enough. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Comment

Not really. While it was relatively entertaining, like a forgettable TV movie (as opposed to the cinematic splendor of THE STAND or 'SALEM'S LOT), I just didn't buy the voice. With some of its wizened smugness and atypical references (doc-in-a-box, etc.), it just didn't seem to always fit the protagonist's age of 22 years...it was kind of uneven in that regard. King's a talented writer, of course, but he's also 73 years old, 51 years removed from his protagonist, and -- for me -- I just didn't quite buy the young voice this time around, not like JOYLAND. The open ending (being vague to avoid spoilers) also seemed anticlimactic and unnecessary if he's not planning to continue this as a series, and given that it's a HCC presumed standalone, that would seem not to be the case. A few other nigglings, too, but that's enough. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.
                    I always appreciate your well-considered thought on books, so- thanks for these. Yeah, I've had a hard time with King in his later years, as a lot of others have. It's literally those idiosyncratic, bizarre... crutches, for lack of a better word that he leans on incessantly that pull me out of his stories now. It's funny you mentioned Salem's Lot- as I just re-read it -and Carrie- again in some desperate need of "Comfort King", and finding both even better than the last time I read them. He had that fire of youth and desperation, and, frankly- editing!- that made those early books amazing, soup to nuts. I always think about something my wife said many years ago- "Inspired, brilliant creativity is not infinite". After 50 or whatever it is now books- how could it possibly be? I will always love what he showed me early on in my formative years, and always love the man for it- and will also always keep hope for one last "great" book (or more!). Well, I will read it and see for myself.

Comment

Received my AGE for "A Scanner Darkly" yesterday. Really enjoy the look of this book and think the slipcase that matches it is fantastic. Can't wait to give this story a re-read soon as it has been years since I first read it.

Comment

Looks like my copy of the AGE for "The Exorcist" is scheduled to be delivered today. Can't wait to see how it turned out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                          Looks like my copy of the AGE for "The Exorcist" is scheduled to be delivered today. Can't wait to see how it turned out!!!
                          I got my copy today. Quickly looked at it and it looks really nice. I love the purple boards.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I got my copy today. Quickly looked at it and it looks really nice. I love the purple boards.
                            Yes, it's really nice. I started reading it yesterday, and the fresh ink smell is pretty good, too

Comment

I haven't read The Exorcist before - never seen the movie either. One of these days I'll get to it. Too many books to read.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                                I haven't read The Exorcist before - never seen the movie either. One of these days I'll get to it. Too many books to read.
                                I re-read it a couple of years ago. I think the story actually held up well and I really enjoyed it, Have not seen the movie since I was a teenager so I really do not remember it, I think I liked it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X