No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting information regarding DAW. I wonder what advantage they feel they are getting by limiting LE's. Seems like small run press could help reinvigorate sales for older titles.

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

It's published by DAW, and they are notorious for not letting anyone do LEs of their titles. Paul is awesome, but I doubt he's going to succeed where folks like Bill Schaefer have failed for years and years.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

No idea. Bill has been trying for years, and I think Shawn Speakman of Grim Oak has been poking them recently as well. I'd absolutely love to see LEs of the Coldfire Trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
        No idea. Bill has been trying for years, and I think Shawn Speakman of Grim Oak has been poking them recently as well. I'd absolutely love to see LEs of the Coldfire Trilogy.
        Speakman said in a recent livestream that he's gotten pretty close to succeeding. If anyone can do it, I hope it's him. It'd be awesome for Grim Oak, especially with all that Speakman has done for the fantasy community.

Comment

DAW has allowed the Rothfuss books to be done.....

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            DAW has allowed the Rothfuss books to be done.....
            No they haven't. Some dudes took it upon themselves to rebind a handful of copies in leather and Bill sold one or two of them, but DAW has never authorized LEs for the three Kingkiller books.

That said, Rothfuss did write two books specifically for Bill - the Princess and Mr. Wiffle titles.

Comment

Sorry, maybe I’m misunderstanding the conversation?? Or is this not limited enough?? I bought this from Anderida Books a few years ago. It felt limited, I had to get up at some God Awful hour in the morning to get the order in, they sold out superfast LOL. Still waiting on Wise Man’s Fear though. Slayin, I thought you had this one. I know we talked about the Cameron titles.
              Attached Files

Comment

Gollancz is Rothfuss's UK publisher, and they also published that edition. Anderida (and Goldsboro, and all the various book box companies) aren't actually publishers, they're booksellers - they work directly with the publisher (in this case, Gollancz) for their special editions. Most are just regular editions with a tipped-in page, some other features like upgraded bindings, sprayed edges, slipcases, and the like (hell, a lot of Goldsboro LEs are literally just a "X of XXX" stamp on the title page!).

I don't know the intricacies of Pat's various contracts, so it may very well be possible Gollancz could potentially authorize a UK (maybe EU?) based LE publisher to do editions of his books in the future. However, Suntup, SubPress, Grim Oak, and so on are American-based publishers and would need DAW's permission to do LEs, and historically DAW has not granted such permission.

Comment

Well, I'm easy to please. It's numbered, it's signed and it has a slipcase, and as I said, I had to get up at 3 AM to order it LOl!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    Sorry, maybe I’m misunderstanding the conversation?? Or is this not limited enough?? I bought this from Anderida Books a few years ago. It felt limited, I had to get up at some God Awful hour in the morning to get the order in, they sold out superfast LOL. Still waiting on Wise Man’s Fear though. Slayin, I thought you had this one. I know we talked about the Cameron titles.
                    If it's got a signature and a limitation number it's limited edition enough, doesn't have to printed in gold and letterpress and blah blah blah. If that were not the case some of stephen king's first editions with all kinds of yellowed pages wouldn't be selling for upwards of 500$ lol. Some publishers just like to jack up prices by selling the hyped version which does not even have the author's signature as we are seeing these days.

Comment

A deluxe edition of MOREAU to compete with Suntup’s was just released...very attractive edition, from what I see:

https://beehivebooks.com/shop/moreau
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        A deluxe edition of MOREAU to compete with Suntup’s was just released...very attractive edition, from what I see:

https://beehivebooks.com/shop/moreau
                        An introduction by Guillermo Del Toro feels spot on for this book.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

An introduction by Guillermo Del Toro feels spot on for this book.
                          It really does, doesn’t it? And on a design level, that slipcase and interior artwork are strikingly impressive.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            It really does, doesn’t it? And on a design level, that slipcase and interior artwork are strikingly impressive.
                            Nice. I love me some Bill Sienkiewicz, and he is a natural for this book. Will have to look at this one as a "cheaper" alternative (at $100, these Public Domain- i.e. "free" texts- are certainly getting spendy!).

Comment

I like the Beehive books, but they are definitely more about the art than the story. The paper is heavyweight, but unremarkable, and the format is just huge - which is good for presentation of the art but not something you'll be reading in bed. I think at the price they do represent good value for the basic volumes but having splashed out for one of the 'limited' editions previous ('The Willows'), I'd probably not do that again.

Comment

Yep. It was bound to occur when the cost of everything else has increased so much. I am having to change my collecting habits to account for the price point of things these days. My standard budget was/is $100/month which at the time afforded me one (or more) interesting purchases a month.

However things have changed so I will just need to buy less books and really try and do a better job of tracking things I really want and save for them.

No more impulse buys or buying something because I like the art.

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Nice. I love me some Bill Sienkiewicz, and he is a natural for this book. Will have to look at this one as a "cheaper" alternative (at $100, these Public Domain- i.e. "free" texts- are certainly getting spendy!).
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X