No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll enter the lottery for the numbered to hopefully get back on the train. However, if I were to score one, I'd probably be one that I'd sell to purchase the next one.

Comment

And so it is The Auctioneer. While it is a great story. Sometimes you have to say when. Right now this is when I say nope. It looks beautiful however I have my mind on another purchase at this time so if in a few weeks copies are still available then I’ll purchase one. If not it wasn’t meant to be

Comment

It looks good, but I'm passing. Not enough of a draw with so many other books out there.

Comment

If I didn't already have the signed/limited Centipede Press HC of THE AUCTIONEER, I'd be all over it...I love this book. But since I do have it, I believe I'll pass on it, even though that AGE is a bit tempting, with the new art and whatnot (though I've already read Hendrix' introduction, assuming it's a repeat (or slightly revised?) of this essay: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/15/summe...aynards-house/ )...but one has to draw the line somewhere and "multiple deluxe variants of the same book" is where I've drawn mine.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I had not heard of this one before the speculation of a Suntup release. I did some research and was intrigued enough that my order is placed. Don't tell Jeff but the description has a Bentley Little feel to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I had not heard of this one before the speculation of a Suntup release. I did some research and was intrigued enough that my order is placed. Don't tell Jeff but the description has a Bentley Little feel to it.
              That's a very apt description of the tone of the book. It's not quite as surreal and outlandish as Little since the author plays it more staid and straight-forward, but that same sense or a surreal skewing of normality is very much in play.

Those who like Bentley Little's work will enjoy this book...I have no idea what Jeff will make of it.

Comment

It is in the vain of Bentley Little,right down to the title. I’m happy with my paperbacks from hell copy.

Comment

I've got my preorder squared away.

Comment

Glad to hear that my Bentley Little vibes were accurate. Should be a good read.

Comment

GREAT. I still bought it. Still gonna read it. But if this is even 1/10th as pointless as The Mailman, then I might have to sell it. Though unlike a Bentley Little book, I'll actually be able to get real money for it.

I'd rather go by Grady Hendrix's appraisal: The Auctioneer feels like "If Cormac McCarthy had written Needful Things." By that measure, you'll probably have to buy number 23 from my grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        If I didn't already have the signed/limited Centipede Press HC of THE AUCTIONEER, I'd be all over it...I love this book. But since I do have it, I believe I'll pass on it, even though that AGE is a bit tempting, with the new art and whatnot (though I've already read Hendrix' introduction, assuming it's a repeat (or slightly revised?) of this essay: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/15/summe...aynards-house/ )...but one has to draw the line somewhere and "multiple deluxe variants of the same book" is where I've drawn mine.
                        The Hendrix introduction is a reprint but the introduction from the authors husband is new.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The Hendrix introduction is a reprint but the introduction from the authors husband is new.
                          Actually, I toyed with the idea of picking it up an AGE because of that, but then saw this, and decided I’d just wait for the expanded version:

“Carberg is currently writing a memoir of his wife, including the mysterious circumstances that led to her writing The Auctioneer.”

Comment

I will be buying it. Wendell Minor is a great artist and I have a few books signed by him.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I'd rather go by Grady Hendrix's appraisal: The Auctioneer feels like "If Cormac McCarthy had written Needful Things." By that measure, you'll probably have to buy number 23 from my grandkids.
                              Totally off-topic, but if you want to see Cormac's voice put to use in the field of comedy, the site 'Yelping with Cormac' is a great way to kill a little bit of time - this is my favorite - https://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com...0/dotties-cafe

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                                GREAT. I still bought it. Still gonna read it. But if this is even 1/10th as pointless as The Mailman, then I might have to sell it. Though unlike a Bentley Little book, I'll actually be able to get real money for it.

I think you will like The Auctioneer. It's a good read. I can see why Grady Hendrix said that. Think about it as if McCarthy and Little had a daughter. The authors success and then tragic death make for an interesting story as well. You wonder what might have been if things were different.
                                Last edited by bookworm 1; 09-20-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X