X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Well this is interesting--according to some random individual selling Little Books on eBay, Blake Crouch will appear in seres 3! Here's his statement:
    The remaining 7 titles in Series III will be published every 2 or 3 months by Borderlands Press. You can get on their mailing list to keep track of each new book which will include titles by Ramsey Campbell, Owen King, Robert R. McCammon, Blake Crouch, and others.

And here's the link (super low starting bid!):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LITTLE-BOOK....c100010.m2109

Does this individual have reliable information?? Should the list be updated?
    Still no bids on this. I wonder what he has the reserve set at.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Just paid for A Little Green Book of Grins & Gravity by Ramsey Campbell.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    Eh', I'm over it. Did I have a slight hope that Tom would nab SK? Yep. Did I commit to the entire series based on that hope? Maybe stupidly, but- yep (are you kidding? the possibility of securing an SK Little Book?! Yep, worth the gamble). Am I otherwise happy with the rest of the books I've purchased? Sure. Will I purchase the entire next set? Probably not. Honestly, another part of my commitment this time was fueled by the heavy disappointment of being assed out of the Joe Hill little book last time. As a looong time BP supporter- I wasn't happy. But, we all know about that fiasco and it's water under the bridge (although- I still don't have that damn book). Tom is a great guy and I don't want to make this about him. Yes, SK was never promised. But- he did dangle that name up front- as Jeff says. Hey, I hope he still produces him. It ain't over yet. Or, at least, had a good reason to dangle that name at the time. I will always give BP the benefit of the doubt.
    I actually came really close to passing on any of these in part because of the Joe Hill fiasco. I believe it was Dan on here who mentioned that Mr. Montelone assured them that issue would not happen again. I really enjoy the Little books and had several of the announced authors in this series be enough to make me commit. I never looked at names mentioned but not confirmed as what I was buying into. They would be great additions but I would not make a decision on a maybe. I have really enjoyed buying the whole set and may continue past this series.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Stealing quotes from my fellow members sums it up for me.

"I'm skeptical and cynical."

"$450 you can buy yourself a nice signed King book at any time."

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I won't belabor the point since Dan made it pointedly well above, but gambling on King's inclusion based on an early remark by Tom that seemed offhand at best is a really longshot bet. For those who did commit to the series only because of King, they would have been wise to do the math...$30 x 15 books = $450, and for $450 you can buy yourself a nice signed King book at any time.

I bought the series III because I've also bought series I and II and I enjoy the unique format and size, so King's inclusion is a non-issue for me. It will be nice, certainly, if it happens, but I don't put any stock in an offhand comment that someone is trying to make something happen, something that on the face of it seemed extremely unlikely right at the outset, not for this line of $30 books...maybe if Chizmar, King's friend and sometimes cowriter, was publishing it, but otherwise, I don't see it, since at that price structure it's a very generous favor of King. That said, I agree that it shouldn't have been mentioned in the first place.
    Eh', I'm over it. Did I have a slight hope that Tom would nab SK? Yep. Did I commit to the entire series based on that hope? Maybe stupidly, but- yep (are you kidding? the possibility of securing an SK Little Book?! Yep, worth the gamble). Am I otherwise happy with the rest of the books I've purchased? Sure. Will I purchase the entire next set? Probably not. Honestly, another part of my commitment this time was fueled by the heavy disappointment of being assed out of the Joe Hill little book last time. As a looong time BP supporter- I wasn't happy. But, we all know about that fiasco and it's water under the bridge (although- I still don't have that damn book). Tom is a great guy and I don't want to make this about him. Yes, SK was never promised. But- he did dangle that name up front- as Jeff says. Hey, I hope he still produces him. It ain't over yet. Or, at least, had a good reason to dangle that name at the time. I will always give BP the benefit of the doubt.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    I'm fine with the addition of Crouch- I just have a feeling that it's a substitution for the elder Mr. King. Which is the only reason a lot of us committed to the whole series, where, truthfully- I would've probably only bought a few of. Watch- if he isn't in Series 3- they'll tease that he may be in series 4.
    I won't belabor the point since Dan made it pointedly well above, but gambling on King's inclusion based on an early remark by Tom that seemed offhand at best is a really longshot bet. For those who did commit to the series only because of King, they would have been wise to do the math...$30 x 15 books = $450, and for $450 you can buy yourself a nice signed King book at any time.

I bought the series III because I've also bought series I and II and I enjoy the unique format and size, so King's inclusion is a non-issue for me. It will be nice, certainly, if it happens, but I don't put any stock in an offhand comment that someone is trying to make something happen, something that on the face of it seemed extremely unlikely right at the outset, not for this line of $30 books...maybe if Chizmar, King's friend and sometimes cowriter, was publishing it, but otherwise, I don't see it, since at that price structure it's a very generous favor of King. That said, I agree that it shouldn't have been mentioned in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Have you tried emailing Mr. Montelone and asking for an update on his attempts to get Mr. King into this series?
    No, I haven't. I guess I might if my future purchasing of the series relied on a Stephen King book.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I completely agree with your first sentence.

I think providing an update would have scored him major trust points. At least with people like me. So much of what you all do, your business, depends on trust. It's the only reason we are willing to pay for items that don't materialize for months or years. Sure, he would have lost a certain number who were only buying for the chance to lock in a King book. But that's a short-term loss in exchange for long-term trust. Silence paired with the initial mention makes us feel like we're just playing a shell game.
    Have you tried emailing Mr. Montelone and asking for an update on his attempts to get Mr. King into this series?

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied

I think providing an update would have scored him major trust points. At least with people like me. So much of what you all do, your business, depends on trust. It's the only reason we are willing to pay for items that don't materialize for months or years. Sure, he would have lost a certain number who were only buying for the chance to lock in a King book. But that's a short-term loss in exchange for long-term trust. Silence paired with the initial mention makes us feel like we're just playing a shell game.
    I get what you're saying, but I personally find it's a no win situation. Newsletters / email blasts drawing attention to a negative / problem almost always get people who wouldn't normally have cared about said thing to get pissed off about it. Sure it might garner some support from the message board communities or Facebook groups, but really the people in those places are in the minority. It's a fine balance between keeping the forum people happy and not drawing attention to something that the average customer would only care about when pointed out to them.

It's actually one of the problems I struggle with finding a solution for when it comes to number requests. Because most people don't actually care about matching number until you point out to them that matching numbers are a thing. Then all of the sudden they care.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    To be clear I don't think he should've even mentioned SK in the first place, unless it was a definite thing. I just can't see him or anyone else in the business (in that position) coming back and providing an update on that. But I'm also cynical and see so many of these things as from a "marketing / pr" standpoint, where often times silence is the best option.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    No, he didn't promise, but he dangled the name. And he should have updated the customers. We were all left in limbo. To be clear, I never really believed that King would materialize. I'm skeptical and cynical (life hurts less that way ) and I was considering his "maybe" to be a definite "no" unless I heard a definite yes. I planned on getting the entire series anyway because of the authors who were guaranteed (Malerman among them) and because the set is so novel and cool (I love reading new authors in this bite-sized format!). If he was able to land SK, then that would have been the cherry on top.

Though I can cheer on the series (happily collecting all the books) and still think it's pretty crappy to mention SK at the outset and then never mention him again almost 2/3 of the way through the series.
    To be clear I don't think he should've even mentioned SK in the first place, unless it was a definite thing. I just can't see him or anyone else in the business (in that position) coming back and providing an update on that. But I'm also cynical and see so many of these things as from a "marketing / pr" standpoint, where often times silence is the best option.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Not to be "that guy" but don't you think it was a bad idea to buy into a whole series on the off chance that there might have been an SK title in the series, when there was nothing concrete about that up front? I really don't think you'll get Tom (or really anyone else in his position) to come out and firmly say that there won't be an SK book. If he had promised an SK title and it fell through, then sure, but to my knowledge he never actually promised a SK title, just said that he was trying to get one.
    No, he didn't promise, but he dangled the name. And he should have updated the customers. We were all left in limbo. To be clear, I never really believed that King would materialize. I'm skeptical and cynical (life hurts less that way ) and I was considering his "maybe" to be a definite "no" unless I heard a definite yes. I planned on getting the entire series anyway because of the authors who were guaranteed (Malerman among them) and because the set is so novel and cool (I love reading new authors in this bite-sized format!). If he was able to land SK, then that would have been the cherry on top.

Though I can cheer on the series (happily collecting all the books) and still think it's pretty crappy to mention SK at the outset and then never mention him again almost 2/3 of the way through the series.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Not to be "that guy" but don't you think it was a bad idea to buy into a whole series on the off chance that there might have been an SK title in the series, when there was nothing concrete about that up front? I really don't think you'll get Tom (or really anyone else in his position) to come out and firmly say that there won't be an SK book. If he had promised an SK title and it fell through, then sure, but to my knowledge he never actually promised a SK title, just said that he was trying to get one.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    I'm happy to see an entry from Crouch. I loved Pines. And I do suspect that his book will appear as one of the 15 in series 3 instead of Stephen King. And if that's the case, I think Tom should be clear about it. The moment he knows that King isn't contributing, he should put out a newsletter or something. I know my appreciation for his transparency would outweigh my disappointment in not having King. I planned on getting all of series 3 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    I'm fine with the addition of Crouch- I just have a feeling that it's a substitution for the elder Mr. King. Which is the only reason a lot of us committed to the whole series, where, truthfully- I would've probably only bought a few of. Watch- if he isn't in Series 3- they'll tease that he may be in series 4.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X