Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slayn666
    replied
    The majority of the time, the only reason I buy a special edition book direct from a publisher is to keep a numbered/lettered set together. A lot of books just never sell out (or don't until deep discounts are offered), and even for the ones that do, the vast majority of those simply do not hold their value on the secondary market.

I want to be able to support publishers, but between rapid-fire releases from individual publishers, the number of publishers producing books I want, and the slow but steady rise in cost, something has to give, and it's usually my ability to buy a whole bunch of new books direct from their publishers.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I hate to be the one that said I-Told-You-So, but jeez louise . . .
    You earned the right to this "I-Told-You-So." I guess I can chalk up the extra $25 I paid to the purchase of a Valuable Buying Lesson.

I was sure this Bird was going to fly.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I think the price point is too high; this should have been a $50 project. With still 385 copies left -- so five copies sold in one day, a day after launch -- it appears I'm not alone in that opinion. I was going to spring for a copy, but at $75 (and Chadbourne interior art, which seems really miscast for this project...*love* the cover art, though) I'll pass...at $75, I suspect it has nowhere to go but down on the secondary market, so I'll pick up a copy then, perhaps, once the market adjusts the price tag to where it should have been from the beginning.
    I hate to be the one that said I-Told-You-So, but jeez louise, I just checked DR's site and a week after my above post there are still 375 copies left, so only ten sold in the last five days or so, or two copies per day. Kind of a shame, given the acclaim for this title. I wonder if that will give DR (and other publishers) pause to reconsider their pricing structure. For me, unless it's Centipede, where I feel the production values and the potential resale value exists (though who am I kidding, I'd never sell any of my Centipedes) to account for the higher price, or perhaps the King Gift Editions from CD, $50 is a pretty hard stop for me when it comes to new genre limited editions...anything beyond that needs to justify itself pretty profoundly or the cost-benefit ratio just doesn't quite work for me. There are always exceptions, of course, but everyone has to have some basic/default barometer, some red line, and $50 is mine.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
    I have a permanent 20% off code from joining their book club a few years back. Club ended long along but code never stopped working.
    Looking back at the email with my code, it's for the book club as well.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    I have a permanent 20% off code from joining their book club a few years back. Club ended long along but code never stopped working.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    They sent one to their newsletter subscribers some years ago - I think it was before Chris took over the press. It keeps getting reactivated through all the website changes, so I assume they intend for people to be able to use it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    I really have to wonder if their announcement today that you can only get one copy of other publisher's book with discount codes is because of my order of The Shining - I have a permanent discount code and used it when I ordered.
    You have a PERMANENT discount code?! What did you do, save someone's life over there? Hahahahaha. I'd say, knowing that, you are the likely suspect.

I have no kind of discount at DRP so nothing has changed for me!

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I actually think it was in response to the wait for the Shining.
    I really have to wonder if their announcement today that you can only get one copy of other publisher's book with discount codes is because of my order of The Shining - I have a permanent discount code and used it when I ordered.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    This must be a recent thing because they sure as hell took my money for two copies of The Shining last year .
    I actually think it was in response to the wait for the Shining.

And in other news: I SHOULD HAVE WAITED TO BUY BIRD BOX. I am a fool. A damn fool.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Yeah, DRP did change their policy in regards to advance payment for other publishers' books.
    This must be a recent thing because they sure as hell took my money for two copies of The Shining last year .

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Well, I stand corrected. The sluggish sales seem to back up the idea that DRP is flying too close to the sun. DRP can't get 500 people to agree that $75 is a good price in the first three days when I thought it wouldn't last the first 12 hours.

I bow to the wisdom in this group!
    DRP is a pretty small, small press (relatively speaking). It can take awhile to sell 500 copies of any book (at $75) that isn't by someone as famous / popular as Stephen King. Especially if you have a small customer base. They put out some good looking books though, I hope it sells well for them.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Sales are pretty slow, but it's not surprising for this book not to sell for a month or more. And I think that would still be a success. Very few S/Ls sell out within a week, even from well regarded and famous authors, much less a day or two.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Well, I stand corrected. The sluggish sales seem to back up the idea that DRP is flying too close to the sun. DRP can't get 500 people to agree that $75 is a good price in the first three days when I thought it wouldn't last the first 12 hours.

I bow to the wisdom in this group!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I loved this book . One of my favorite reads in a lo g time but I am passing due to the price also.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    I agree $75 is a bit high. I haven't read the book, but was willing to give it a shot in the dark for a S/L, but not at $75. Especially without a slipcase, colour interiors, artist sigs, or leather binding. Feels a bit steep for a barebones production.
    I can see where you and RonClinton are coming from. If I compared this to a what is offered by CD or other companies, I'd expect the price to be around $60. For example, Relic was oversized, clothbound, limited to 698 copies and was sold for $65. I was expecting the $75 price tag due to the similarities in production to Off Season.

Also, DRP tends to be on the higher end of the price scale to begin with. Giving another example, Dreams From the Witch House is oversized, leather-bound, slipcased, signed by the authors and limited to 200 copies...and priced at $200. I do wish they'd be more moderate in their pricing as I'd probably pick up Dreams if it was in the $125 range. (Side note: I almost did as they offered a bundle on their last Kickstarter for the deluxe editions of The Red Brain, Dreams From the Witch House, and Return of the Old Ones for $333, but decided against it because (a) I didn't like that Return was in a different trim size than the other two and (b) took them up on another offer and only so much money, you know?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X