No announcement yet.

BIRD BOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same boat- I really want to completely like and trust and support DRP. There's a lot to like- including Chris. But, they make it really hard to just buy a damn book you want sometimes. Especially from those byzantinian-tangled kickstarters! Who can figure those out? I'm happy to preorder a book- to help fund that specific book that I want. Not fund a bunch that I don't, or just get so confused into what I'm actually buying that i just walk away. I'm still hoping things smooth out over there because i do like the books.

Comment

Hey guys, as always I legitimately appreciate constructive criticism. First: after feedback from collectors we removed the tipping function from our website. As a small press we need all of the support we can get, but it's clear that this function left a sour taste in some customer's mouths and that's the last thing we want, so it's gone.

We've also decided not to do another Kickstarter/Indiegogo/crowdfunding campaign at least for a while. They are fun and the support people have shown us has been incredible, but the campaigns themselves create so many different tasks and huge amounts of information to manage that is in different formats than our website. They also confuse some of our customers who end up not jumping in due to the various rewards and items. Crowdfunding campaigns are out for now, but if we do explore them in the years ahead, we will be careful to structure them in a much more straight forward manner.

The Mystery Boxes were created because I didn't feel like we had enough new products to really make things interesting for our Horror Summer Sale this year, so decided to create something entirely new. The Malorie contest was just that: a contest. Only a few copies are going into the mystery boxes and the whole thing was intended to promote our upcoming special edition of Malorie.

The feedback from the members on this forum is legitimately valued. We have instituted a new policy with Dark Regions Press published books that we will not offer them for public preorder until the printer tells us they are officially printing the pages. We also created new packing guidelines for our team, and anyone who received a deluxe hardcover of I AM THE ABYSS will be able to tell you that it was double boxed and packed very well. Actually, all of our shipments in 2020 that were shipped directly from us were packed very well.

We want to continually improve Dark Regions Press and appreciate all constructive criticism. Thanks guys and have a nice weekend.

Comment

Great thread. This is an example of social media actually improving communication. How rare! I'm also itching for Malorie. Can't wait.

Chris, what's the word on Offspring? Did you snag an author to write the introduction? I'm holding off on my re-read of Off Season (the DRP edition, of course) until I have Offspring in hand and I can jump right in.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you and I wish nothing but success for DRP.

Comment

Hey, Jeff, hope you and yours are safe and healthy. Good news on Offspring: printing is expected to start within 60 days. We were just getting ready to get this project rolling at the printers when COVID-19 broke out and some of our printers/binders temporarily closed, others worked at less than full capacity.

We will be confirming on the foreword/afterword materials very soon, a couple last minute things need to be finalized. I'll send you a message when it's all official. Thanks, Jeff, and best wishes.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          Great thread. This is an example of social media actually improving communication. How rare! I'm also itching for Malorie. Can't wait.

Chris, what's the word on Offspring? Did you snag an author to write the introduction? I'm holding off on my re-read of Off Season (the DRP edition, of course) until I have Offspring in hand and I can jump right in.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you and I wish nothing but success for DRP.

Comment

Thanks Chris! I'm happy to hear things are getting close. Stay healthy as well! This COVID business is certainly bad for business, but no book is worth risking death. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Morey View Post
              Hey guys, as always I legitimately appreciate constructive criticism. First: after feedback from collectors we removed the tipping function from our website. As a small press we need all of the support we can get, but it's clear that this function left a sour taste in some customer's mouths and that's the last thing we want, so it's gone.

We've also decided not to do another Kickstarter/Indiegogo/crowdfunding campaign at least for a while. They are fun and the support people have shown us has been incredible, but the campaigns themselves create so many different tasks and huge amounts of information to manage that is in different formats than our website. They also confuse some of our customers who end up not jumping in due to the various rewards and items. Crowdfunding campaigns are out for now, but if we do explore them in the years ahead, we will be careful to structure them in a much more straight forward manner.

The Mystery Boxes were created because I didn't feel like we had enough new products to really make things interesting for our Horror Summer Sale this year, so decided to create something entirely new. The Malorie contest was just that: a contest. Only a few copies are going into the mystery boxes and the whole thing was intended to promote our upcoming special edition of Malorie.

The feedback from the members on this forum is legitimately valued. We have instituted a new policy with Dark Regions Press published books that we will not offer them for public preorder until the printer tells us they are officially printing the pages. We also created new packing guidelines for our team, and anyone who received a deluxe hardcover of I AM THE ABYSS will be able to tell you that it was double boxed and packed very well. Actually, all of our shipments in 2020 that were shipped directly from us were packed very well.

We want to continually improve Dark Regions Press and appreciate all constructive criticism. Thanks guys and have a nice weekend.
              I can confirm that my copy of I AM THE ABYSS was packaged INCREDIBLY well. Very impressed with the steps that DRP has taken to improve that area after some negative feedback they received a while back.

Comment

Thanks for replying to this thread, Chris. Very nice of you.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Morey View Post

I've had nothing but great experiences with DRP. Their last kickstarter sale was actually my first kickstarter order ever. Normally, I try to avoid those sorts of things as I prefer to order books directly; however, that kickstarter sale just had too many great options for me to pass up. I was able to preorder Laymon's "Midnight's Lair", Tremblay's "Cabin at the End of the World", & Malerman's "Malorie" all at discounted prices. I can't wait to get my hands on each of those tittles and know that DRP will knock them out of the park.

Comment

CHRIS, saw the Malorie cover reveal and it's a home run! Perfect follow-up to the amazing BIRD BOX. Reallllly looking forward to this one.

Comment

Woot. I agree. It's a great cover.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      CHRIS, saw the Malorie cover reveal and it's a home run! Perfect follow-up to the amazing BIRD BOX. Reallllly looking forward to this one.

Comment

For the MALORIE cover, at first it really didn't do a whole lot for me. I thought it was nice, but didn't quite blow me away. But then I looked at in connection with the cover to BIRD BOX and then I got it. A really great companion piece to the first cover. Yeah, I know, I was a little late to this party... Great cover and looking forward to this edition!

Comment

Really appreciate the positive feedback guys. Vincent Chong is an amazing artist and a joy to work with. As Sock Monkey aptly noted, once you see the connection between the Malorie Special Edition cover and the Bird Box Special Edition cover it's even more powerful. The artists will be signing the deluxe traycased edition which we expect to be sold out on launch day.

Comment

This sounds like it’s going to be a great follow up to Bird Box. I was late to the party so I don’t have the special edition of Bird Box and without that it doesn’t make sense for me to pursue Malorie at this point. Probably best for my wallet anyways. But it should make for a great set for those who have them both.

Comment

Books A Million is currently offering Signed trade copies of Malorie. https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Malo...7943264403613#

Comment

Cool. I either ordered one copy or 5.

BOM checkout is a PITA and a wonky wanker.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Books A Million is currently offering Signed trade copies of Malorie. https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Malo...7943264403613#

Comment

Working...
                                X