Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuggers
    replied
    I was stunned when I opened the email this afternoon and saw DUNE listed there. Stunned....and a little relieved.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm curious what impact, if any, this new edition will have on the aftermarket prices of the Centipede edition. I'm thinking not too much because it doesn't seem as I didn't see any indication that Earthling will be doing any more of the books in the series.

And this is not a criticism at Earthling, but really the limited edition market as a whole, I'm not a fan of there being multiple limited editions of the same books being created within a small time frame. I don't disagree that publishers should do the books they are passionate about, I just feel that there are so many other books that have yet to get a limited edition that I just feel like the same well is being tapped over and over again.

--------------------

My budget and space never allows me to buy multiple editions of a title. However, I am tempted to break this rule if there is a deluxe edition of Centipede's Ghost Story.
    I do agree that as a collector it's a bit disappointing when the same book is done back-to-back, so to speak, by different small-press publishers, when there are so many wonderful books out there waiting their turn. But ultimately the market will prove whether or not the choice is sound...copies still remain 90 minutes after offering, but I suspect it'll be sold out by day's (or perhaps week's) end. Or perhaps not, hard to say. I hope it does sell see a quick sell-out...Paul's a great guy, and deserves every bit of success he gets.

As far as impacting the value of the Centipede edition, I don't think it'll have too much...first, as you say, it looks like this is a one-off and not a series set like Centipede, which inherently helps maintain the value of the first Centipede volume as an indispensable part of the set, and, two, I do think, due to higher production values and the fact that it was the first published of the two, that the Centipede will still be seen as The One to Have, much in the same way that the availability of the Folio Society edition has had little to no impact on the desirability and aftermarket value of the Centipede edition. I'm not comparing the Folio mid-grade edition to Earthling's high-end production, of course, but it's still a matter of perceived return-on-investment, especially with Centipede's established, proven reputation as a premium publisher in the marketplace...that type of high-end publishing is something that Earthling is just beginning to dabble in with its last couple of books (INSPECTION and DUNE) in an otherwise couple of decades of sub-$100 books, so it may be a bit of leap for collectors to invest $650 in a volume in a type of book that has no track history from the publisher, even though I have no doubt Paul will hit it out of the park.

As far as GHOST STORY, not sure about that one for me...I have the signed/#d HC from Hill House, and that may just have to suffice, as I've tried to draw a red-line on multiple volumes of the same book. But we'll see...that's going to be a tough one to pass on.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    For curiosity's sake, do you plan on keeping both editions or are you going to keep whichever one you like the best? My budget and space never allows me to buy multiple editions of a title. However, I am tempted to break this rule if there is a deluxe edition of Centipede's Ghost Story.
    In a perfect world, I'd keep both editions.

It's more likely that it'll keep whichever edition I prefer more. But I'll try to keep them together in my book hoard for as long as I can.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    DUNE. $650. Okay, well, given that I'm already doing the Centipede series, that was an easy decision. I'm sure it'll be lovely, though.
    Yeah, same here. I didn't get home until 12:30, and was surprised that they weren't sold out already. It looks nice, but I'm already committed to the CP editions.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

I bought it because I'd like to see them side by side. My wallet hurts...
    That's fair and I don't begrudge anyone who picks up the book. I'm sure that the Earthling edition is going to be very nice as Paul does a great job with his books. I'd also love to see pictures if you'd care to post when it arrives. I think I had just gotten myself a little too excited and then felt rather deflated once I read the announcement.

For curiosity's sake, do you plan on keeping both editions or are you going to keep whichever one you like the best? My budget and space never allows me to buy multiple editions of a title. However, I am tempted to break this rule if there is a deluxe edition of Centipede's Ghost Story.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    DUNE. $650. Okay, well, given that I'm already doing the Centipede series, that was an easy decision. I'm sure it'll be lovely, though.
    I'm curious what impact, if any, this new edition will have on the aftermarket prices of the Centipede edition. I'm thinking not too much because it doesn't seem as I didn't see any indication that Earthling will be doing any more of the books in the series.

And this is not a criticism at Earthling, but really the limited edition market as a whole, I'm not a fan of there being multiple limited editions of the same books being created within a small time frame. I don't disagree that publishers should do the books they are passionate about, I just feel that there are so many other books that have yet to get a limited edition that I just feel like the same well is being tapped over and over again.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Well...the new Earthling book is Dune. No offense to Paul at Earthling at all, but I found the announcement to be a little underwhelming considering that we just got the Centipede edition like a year and a half ago. I was also WAY off on the price as it is a whopping $650 (which, to be fair, was in the same realm of the Centipede edition). Since I already have a very nice edition of the book from Centipede, this would have been a pass for me whatever the price point.
    I bought it because I'd like to see them side by side. My wallet hurts...

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Well...the new Earthling book is Dune. No offense to Paul at Earthling at all, but I found the announcement to be a little underwhelming considering that we just got the Centipede edition like a year and a half ago. I was also WAY off on the price as it is a whopping $650 (which, to be fair, was in the same realm of the Centipede edition). Since I already have a very nice edition of the book from Centipede, this would have been a pass for me whatever the price point.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    So glad that it ended up being Dune. Have no desire for that book, especially at that price tag.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

I’m most likely gonna be in spectator status as well. Unless this is absolutely positively a book I have to have, but honestly those are dwindling over time so I doubt it. And it would be best for my budget if it was something I don’t “need” as well.
    Same here! Too many books to buy. I did go for the CP Silverberg book - couldn't pass that one up once I saw RS was signing it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

If true, I'll have to be more a spectator than participant tomorrow morning...no budget on hand for something of that scale right now. Still reeling from DUNE MESSIAH, and the DRIVE-IN anthology is being offered next week. Plus just bought the newest Silverberg book from Centipede, etc. etc....can't have it all, I guess.
    I’m most likely gonna be in spectator status as well. Unless this is absolutely positively a book I have to have, but honestly those are dwindling over time so I doubt it. And it would be best for my budget if it was something I don’t “need” as well.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I'm going to be surprised if this is less than $350.
    If true, I'll have to be more a spectator than participant tomorrow morning...no budget on hand for something of that scale right now. Still reeling from DUNE MESSIAH, and the DRIVE-IN anthology is being offered next week. Plus just bought the newest Silverberg book from Centipede, etc. etc....can't have it all, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    So a little more info on the Earthling announcement via their newsletter today: The print run is 240 limited and 10 lettered editions. The novel is "hugely" popular. It is supposed to be a nicer production than Weaveworld. The price on the limited of that was $250 and that was 11 years ago. I'm going to be surprised if this is less than $350. There's also a picture, but I have no idea what it belongs to. I feel a big case of the FOMO building up in me.

Any guesses?
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 04-05-2023, 12:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Newest email sent an hour ago includes an image that is presumably from the book...looks rather fantasy-oriented, with a young girl in a flower-strewn setting. I have no clue what title it could be...did this image help anyone formulate any guess(es)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X