Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauntlet Press (with and w/out Borderlands partnership)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Can't speak to the issues with Borderlands; however, the reason F. Paul Wilson is mentioned on the Gauntlet promo page for PINES is because he is writing an afterword for the book and is signing the lettered edition.
    Yes, I know. My point in mentioning that — and highlighting a misspelled “Paulo” in my original post — was that Paul was misspelled as Paulo throughout the promo. I just checked, and it’s now been corrected, but is still misspelled as Paulo in the DRACULAS promo (and the “F” is missing in the SIGNALZ promo). It’s a small thing, but symptomatic and illustrative of the proofreading and formatting issues both Gauntlet and (especially) Borderlands has these days, and why after suffering through a barrage of it in BORDERLANDS 7 I’m a bit wary to order any of these new releases, even though the content appeals to me. If they can’t even produce typo/error-free promo pages for their product(s), what confidence can I have that the product itself will be free of a litany of errors and typos and worthy of its premium pricetag?

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I’m currently reading BORDERLANDS 7, and the typos and formatting issues within give me pause, no matter how much I want THE PINES trilogy (and DRACULAS). Then I see F. *Paulo* Wilson mentioned on the Gauntlet promo page for PINES, and it’s just...just...tiring and wearisome. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. I’ve waited years for a limited of THE PINES...it’s a shame I can’t see this as a must-buy.
    Can't speak to the issues with Borderlands; however, the reason F. Paul Wilson is mentioned on the Gauntlet promo page for PINES is because he is writing an afterword for the book and is signing the lettered edition.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

I hear you. Do I want to spend $65 for a book that’s going to be unreadable when I have a very nice paperback copy with very few typos that I paid $7 for
    I'm rolling the dice on The Pines for$50.00ish but not $200.00, come on 2021!!!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I’m currently reading BORDERLANDS 7, and the typos and formatting issues within give me pause, no matter how much I want THE PINES trilogy (and DRACULAS). Then I see F. *Paulo* Wilson mentioned on the Gauntlet promo page for PINES, and it’s just...just...tiring and wearisome. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. I’ve waited years for a limited of THE PINES...it’s a shame I can’t see this as a must-buy.
    I hear you. Do I want to spend $65 for a book that’s going to be unreadable when I have a very nice paperback copy with very few typos that I paid $7 for

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The site is back up now, and I placed my order for Pines. I tried doing it earlier and the site died. I wasn't super worried since the newsletter did say pre-orders would be available on the 31st . . .

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I just popped over to the Gauntlet website, to check which pre-orders were available per today's newsletter, and as soon as I clicked the pre-order page link, my Norton went crazy.....blocked the page, and started a few dozen alerts that they had stopped a malicious program. Be careful if you surf over there....
    I got an error earlier, but Gauntlet's site is always glitchy. Here's a link to the Pines ordering page - https://www.gauntletpress.com/product/pines/

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I just popped over to the Gauntlet website, to check which pre-orders were available per today's newsletter, and as soon as I clicked the pre-order page link, my Norton went crazy.....blocked the page, and started a few dozen alerts that they had stopped a malicious program. Be careful if you surf over there....

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I remember reading Submerged, and the number of typos was just unreal. It was so bad that I joked about CD needing a new proofreader, and they said it was Tom Monteleone's wife who proofread the book. Between that and the issues I've had with recent Gauntlet books, I doubt I'll be ordering anything.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just placed my preorder for the Crouch and the Garton books. Am excited for these titles and hope that Gauntlet/Borderlands does them well!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post
    Was it that bad? That was a set that I had wanted to get at the time, but couldn't swing financially. It was a major regret at the time, but I forgot all about it.
    The set was supposed to have a slipcase, no slipcase, no refund, no explanation. Full of clerical/editorial mistakes and as you noted, it cost a bit of money. We'll see about the Pines!!
    Last edited by mhatchett; 12-06-2020, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Was it that bad? That was a set that I had wanted to get at the time, but couldn't swing financially. It was a major regret at the time, but I forgot all about it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I'm in on the Pines Trilogy for sure. Other than the Bradbury/Matheson titles, I haven't been a huge Fan of Gauntlet and the last set I bought was a big disappointment, The Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms, just not well done. I kept it, but I should have sent it back.....So fingers crossed.
    Interestingly enough, that limited set is the only book(s) I’ve ever sent back for a refund in 30-plus years of collecting in the small-press. As a huge Matheson fan, it killed me to do so, but that set was so poorly done, so stunningly bad, that I had no choice (and ultimately no regrets).

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I'd like to support Gauntlet, but I've been disappointed with everything I've ordered over the past few years. I think the last books I was happy with were the Repairman Jack series, which were what I'd expect for the price.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

I've read the entire PINES trilogy, as well as a six or eight of his other novels and two short-story collections. His work is compulsively readable...he has a way of sustaining tension and narrative thrust and immersing the reader in the drama that's rather remarkable. I also watched the TV series, but aside from some decent acting, the script was largely a letdown and had little of the Crouch magic dust on it. It wasn't a rating bonanza, as I recall, so I doubt it's bolstered acclaim for the books, but fortunately the books are strong enough to stand on their own and withstand the generally failed attempt to film them. I'm very excited at the prospect of the trilogy, and while I do have concerns about how the final product will appear, my desire for a signed/limited of this terrific trilogy is so strong and has been in place for so long that I'm willing just to gamble for the first volume, and hope that what I see reassures me to order the second and third volumes.

Hope that helps.
    I'm in on the Pines Trilogy for sure. Other than the Bradbury/Matheson titles, I haven't been a huge Fan of Gauntlet and the last set I bought was a big disappointment, The Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms, just not well done. I kept it, but I should have sent it back.....So fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X