Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOUR: Whatevers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FOUR: Whatevers

    Since we seem to have a series of books titled "FOUR: (fill in blank)", it might be nice to have them all match as far as the Lettered editions go anyway.

    Four: Halloweens was recently released without a traycase.

    Going back and looking at all the other "FOUR:" books information, the Lettered editions all seem to be coming with traycases.

    Perhaps, since it looks like CD wants to do away with traycases, why not make the Lettered editions with matching slipcases instead.

    While I do very much like the look of the new style Lettered books, I feel they very much need a slipcase at the least to protect them. A cheap bonded leather like material, or buckram in different colors for the different series of books....something.

    Any ideas?

    Mark/ruderabbit

    #2
    I agree, Mark. You could also have Jeff from across the pond make ya up some if you provide him with the measurements.

    Comment


      #3
      I think Four: Whatevers would be a great title itself!! Do a one off unthemed book. Or the theme has to somehow be "whatever", whatever that would mean. LOL!!
      Last edited by bsaenz24; 04-07-2016, 03:56 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I think that could be said for any/all of the new lettered editions, and not just FOur Halloweens. I don't know if it's necessary however, as it would slow down production (just what CD was trying to avoid) but it would be nice I think. Maybe as a secondary market option. Maybe a mass produced catch all traycase for each of CD's standard size books; 7x10, 6x9, novella size etc. with a silk ribbon to help ease the book out. They would have to be relatively deep to fit all books, but the extra space could just be filled up with different thickness of cut foam. Just a thought.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ruderabbit View Post
          Perhaps, since it looks like CD wants to do away with traycases, why not make the Lettered editions with matching slipcases instead.

          While I do very much like the look of the new style Lettered books, I feel they very much need a slipcase at the least to protect them. A cheap bonded leather like material, or buckram in different colors for the different series of books....something.

          Any ideas?

          Mark/ruderabbit
          I don't collect lettereds (I'm cheap and I like dustjackets), so was surprised to read above that the new lettered format doesn't (or will no longer...? Not clear on the OP) come with a traycase or slipcase. I don't have a horse in this race since I'm not their target audience, but I agree that the high price of lettereds would seem to dictate some sort of case, be it tray or slip.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

          Comment


            #6
            I've pointed Brian here as he can probably explain this better than I can. Personally though I've never really thought of or considered these books to be part of a series.
            CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

            Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

            Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              I don't collect lettereds (I'm cheap and I like dustjackets), so was surprised to read above that the new lettered format doesn't (or will no longer...? Not clear on the OP) come with a traycase or slipcase. I don't have a horse in this race since I'm not their target audience, but I agree that the high price of lettereds would seem to dictate some sort of case, be it tray or slip.
              The new style is based on the look of an old world, custom printed volume the likes of which only the super wealthy could commission in old world Europe. Hence no cases.

              Also, the production costs of the upgraded leather, endpapers, and hand-gilded page edges came from eliminating the cost of the cases. To do both would add approximately $50 to $75 to the retail price depending on the title.

              We're phasing out Lettered Editions in general starting later this year, though, because they cost A LOT to produce and the so-so demand basically makes them a break-even (or in some cases money losing) edition. We will continue to offer them for certain authors whose following demands them, though.

              But ultimately, we can better invest those funds into MORE books in general, faster production times, and one or two brand new series that I think our collectors are REALLY going to like, which will launch this year.

              I think our collectors will be EXTREMELY pleased with our plans for the second half of 2016 and 2017. Some amazing stuff has been in the works for a while now.

              Brian
              Brian James Freeman
              brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

              Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
              Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
              LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ruderabbit View Post
                While I do very much like the look of the new style Lettered books, I feel they very much need a slipcase at the least to protect them.
                And I don't disagree with this thought at all. I think they would look VERY snazzy in a slipcase, for example. We actually offered one a while back that fits several of the new Lettered Editions, but I'm not sure how much demand there was. I'll have to check on that!

                Brian
                Brian James Freeman
                brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

                Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
                Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
                LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                  I think Four: Whatevers would be a great title itself!! Do a one off unthemed book. Or the theme has to somehow be "whatever", whatever that would mean. LOL!!
                  "Quick! Call Ray, Brian, Chris, and Lee and tell them we need a story from each of them tomorrow. What theme? Tell them whatever!"
                  Brian James Freeman
                  brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

                  Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
                  Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
                  LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
                  My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                    "Quick! Call Ray, Brian, Chris, and Lee and tell them we need a story from each of them tomorrow. What theme? Tell them whatever!"
                    Exactly!!!!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Never have bought a CD lettered, though I've frequently been on the fence (especially with the new look), but I do find it surprising to hear that the production will be stopping altogether. Really it all comes down to supply and demand, if there's no demand, then there won't be supply.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        That probably explains the recent isses that have not had Lettered editions offered. I do have both some older versions of the lettered editions as well as one of the new versions. I am not a big lettered collector but have not problem with the line being limited to certain authors.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          Never have bought a CD lettered, though I've frequently been on the fence (especially with the new look), but I do find it surprising to hear that the production will be stopping altogether. Really it all comes down to supply and demand, if there's no demand, then there won't be supply.
                          I think a lot of it is budget-based for our collectors. When we publish 20, 30, or 35 books in a year... those Lettered Editions add up FAST in cost for the average collector.

                          So we're going to focus on: 1) making the Lettered Editions we publish even nicer but only producing them for select books and 2) creating a line of REALLY beautiful collectible books that the average collector can afford.

                          More on all of this later this year, though. It's too soon for anything official to be announced.

                          Brian
                          Brian James Freeman
                          brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

                          Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
                          Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
                          LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
                          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                            I think a lot of it is budget-based for our collectors. When we publish 20, 30, or 35 books in a year... those Lettered Editions add up FAST in cost for the average collector.

                            So we're going to focus on: 1) making the Lettered Editions we publish even nicer but only producing them for select books and 2) creating a line of REALLY beautiful collectible books that the average collector can afford.

                            More on all of this later this year, though. It's too soon for anything official to be announced.

                            Brian
                            Color me intrigued!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Very interesting, Brian -- I had no idea the lettereds were being phased out. Thanks for the insight as to why; certainly makes sense to me.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X