Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liljas Library- World of Stephen King--- Worth owning??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Yea Lilja is a serious collector. He gets his hands on some things that most people would have a terrible time finding. I can think of only a handful of collectors who have more / more obscure stuff than he does.

Leave a comment:

• Hedda Gabler
    replied
    Yes, I think it is. Like everyone has pointed out, Lilja is very positive about everything, but, that's okay. I still found a lot of information in the book interesting and the things that I had a personal experience with, I either agreed with him or I didn't. Just like any other book about Stephen King.

The thing that was frustrating to me was, Lilja has access to things that I will never lay my eyes on, and he would critique these particular things. So, how was I to make a judgment about a Dollar Baby or an exclusive giveaway or whatever it might have been? How could I ever?

Still, I think it is worth having.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Originally posted by Beambounder View Post
    There are so many GREAT things being published by King,His Son Joe,even Owen,Tabitha too-and so many tried and True Horror and speculative fiction writers like Dan Simmons, Robert R.Mc Cammon, William Peter Blatty, Richard Matheson,The Chizmar collections Shivers, Robin Furth's expansion of THe Dark Tower, illustrated King Graphic novels, Audio books, limited editions, Daniel Easterman, Kurt Vonnegut, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley ,Brian Freeman, Brian Lumley, Peter Straub,Phillip k. Dick, All the writer ans Chizmzr ,Collections,Richard Matheson, Rod Serling, Clive Barker,Ursula k. Le Guin, Octavia Butler,H.G. wells, H.P. Lovecraft and all who folloe the Cthulu Mythos-I could go on and on there is limited time and for many like myself limited funds.Be eclectic,but just don't plonk money down because someone else said to. Follow your heart.
    Amen to that, Beam!

sk

Leave a comment:

• Beambounder
    replied
    There are so many GREAT things being published by King,His Son Joe,even Owen,Tabitha too-and so many tried and True Horror and speculative fiction writers like Dan Simmons, Robert R.Mc Cammon, William Peter Blatty, Richard Matheson,The Chizmar collections Shivers, Robin Furth's expansion of THe Dark Tower, illustrated King Graphic novels, Audio books, limited editions, Daniel Easterman, Kurt Vonnegut, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley ,Brian Freeman, Brian Lumley, Peter Straub,Phillip k. Dick, All the writer ans Chizmzr ,Collections,Richard Matheson, Rod Serling, Clive Barker,Ursula k. Le Guin, Octavia Butler,H.G. wells, H.P. Lovecraft and all who folloe the Cthulu Mythos-I could go on and on there is limited time and for many like myself limited funds. I am a Collector,not only of books but Star trek and alien Vintage I'objets d'art. With limited resources and time-I would fill other tills with books and other art/memorabilia-let alone music- than to just for the heck of it flop down reiterated material. No disparagement of The book by me and what another means to me ;buy it -It is certainly knowledgeable. Plus when you make visual art you need materials and collect artist monotypes, Catalogue Raissone'. I have to be somewhat discriminating and make the best picks for the buck. It is just simple have and have nots, and what one likes and can afford /what edition/ addition- plain and simple. Go for what you know is going to entertain,freak you out,or educate you,test your moral makeup. What is going to fill a limited life with the most engaging Stories. Look no further than your own bookshelves -that is where you are;and what you really need more of writers in those veins.Be eclectic,but just don't plonk money down because someone else said to. Follow your heart. In all truth you all know what you want to do one way or another ,we're just shooting the breeze. E. Freemantle

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    After enjoying the website for a bit of time I picked up the book. While I enjoyed it I found there to be a fair degree of repetition. As frik51 says everything is very positive which makes you question how reliable / useful the reviews really are.
    Lilja is obviously a huge fan and so good on him for getting the book together and out there.
    The book is a collection of a lot of the content on the website.

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    After enjoying the website for a bit of time I picked up the book. While I enjoyed it I found there to be a fair degree of repetition. As frik51 says everything is very positive which makes you question how reliable / useful the reviews really are.
    Lilja is obviously a huge fan and so good on him for getting the book together and out there.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I think it is worth owning. The interviews are enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I have it and I liked it. Definitely worth having in your SK collection, I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    It's a fun book to own, but not an essential one, I think.
    But that's very personal, obviously -what's essential?
    Lilja's too positive - practically everything he reviews is recommended.

sk

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    It is essentially a massive collection of Lilja's website, with some extra's that aren't included on his site. Here's the web page. http://www.liljas-library.com/

Leave a comment:

• folgersnyourcup
    replied
    I enjoyed it as a good reference guide. It has reviews of of most of Stephen King's works, many of which are pretty good. Some I don't have much interest in (such as reviews of seasons of the tv series The Dead Zone) but others are useful. There are also many interviews included which are worth reading. I say pick it up.

Leave a comment:

• Liljas Library- World of Stephen King--- Worth owning??

Hi Everyone.. This is one of the few SK books that I DO NOT own. I have had my eye on it for some time now. For those of you that have it, is it worth owning?
Working...
X