Which King book did you NOT like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least favorite King novels:

5. Hearts in Atlantis--Too loosely structured to enjoy, kept losing interest--about 5 months to finish
    4. Black House--narrator problems for the first 100 pages, then just too bizarre at the end.
    3. Insomnia: Overwrought--there's a good story here, but it just got too convoluted--I accept King's explanation and apology.
    2. The Wolves of the Calla: dull and uninspired (I like to imagine Fr. Callahahan pissed off that King resurrected him)
    1. The Stand (Complete and Uncut): see post #2 in this thread. A downgrade from the original (which is one of my favorites)

Books still to read: Duma Key, Under the Dome, Dreamcatcher, Rose Madder (The Shining, The Stand (1978), Cujo, Lisey's Story, It--5 faves)
    Last edited by srboone; 06-05-2011, 12:46 AM. Reason: I keep remembering books I haven't read!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'll be drawn and quartered for this, but I didn't care for The Gunslinger series. Couldn't get into Eyes Of The Dragon, Insomnia(snore), The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, or Lisey's Story. That said, I didn't like The Tommyknockers at first, but picked it up again after a couple years and totally enjoyed it. Same with Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne. I did like Rose Madder.

Comment

Stephen king is by far the most prolific writer of the last forty years, getting more people off their keesters and reading than any other author to date. He is my hero, from boyhood to manhood, and he is the reason I enjoy writing and reading a good spooky tale. His impressive body of work should not be "picked apart" like vultures at a carrion buffet. To me, my CD Forum Brothers and Sisters, there is only good King, better King, and King at his best. May all your writings be judged Contest Winners and best of luck. Randar de Barbarian

Comment

I have to say Under the Dome. I loved it as a piece of writing, and I thought the switching from character to character was brilliantly executed to the point you knew who you were travelling with, but I was very underwhelmed by the actually story. I thought the ending was a let down. But I'm glad I read it!

Comment

I didn't like "Cell" I couldn't get into it, I only read about half of the story. My favorites would have to be his Dark Tower novels (except for the sixths and seventh books.)
            www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

I'm probably going to get hate mail for this, lol, but I did not care for The Green Mile.

Blasphemy, I know. Especially since this one was not listed by anyone else.

Comment

I actually have not disliked any of King's books that I've read, though there are still some I need to read still. Haven't even read The Green Mile yet, lol, but it is in my TBR list since I found the complete serial novel in a nice green slipcase at Half Price Books a few months ago.

The next King book I'll probably read next is either The Colorado Kid since it's nice and short, or From a Buick 8 since this is the only King book I've started and never finished, but I think that was more because I got distracted by work since I was in the Army and probably had an exercise interrupt my reading of it.
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by chantal View Post
                  I'm probably going to get hate mail for this, lol, but I did not care for The Green Mile.

Blasphemy, I know. Especially since this one was not listed by anyone else.
                  I'm in your corner on this one, Chantal. It's one i probably won't bother to re-read. Better that a lot of others, but pretty average King.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    I'm in your corner on this one, Chantal. It's one i probably won't bother to re-read. Better that a lot of others, but pretty average King.
                    As was remarked by Chantal, this is blasphemy. That is a fact. Hah.

Comment

I think even at his worst, King is the best. The only one of his books I didn't finish was Insomnia-I kept falling asleep
                      http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                        I think even at his worst, King is the best. The only one of his books I didn't finish was Insomnia-I kept falling asleep
                        Haha, I kept hearing that same joke the whole time I struggled through that book. While I was reading it people kept saying, "Insomnia's putting you to sleep huh?" I did finish it though, just took a very long time.

Comment

I've started "Bag of Bones" on audiotape with the wife. We are pretty far into at this point, but while it has been entertaining to me with all the talk of how a Pro Author works (much of which I reckon to be truth), it hasn't for my wife. There has been a ton of name dropping, and procedure, and such. While I know some of what makes the story exciting has already been brought in the open, it has taken a long time to get to where I think it is heading. Everyone I know loves this one, so I keep telling her to be patient and see how it plays out. From my wife's perspective, I think it has come off as more of a "how to" manual than anything thus far. I am sure that is about to change....I hope.
                          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                            I've started "Bag of Bones" on audiotape with the wife.
                            There is one scene in that book that terrified me more than anything he has EVER written! We will discuss it later when you are done
                            http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Very cool! May take me a while as the wife is finishing up her school year, but I can't wait for it....literally...can't wait LOL. (I meant for the scary part by the way LOL)
                              Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Worst King book in my opinion was Gerald's Game. (There's a story in Full Dark, No Stars that bears striking resemblance to Rose Madder and was very weak to me, as well.) His best Bachman story has to be The Long Walk and his best Novel TO ME has to be Salem's Lot. That was King at his best.

Comment

Working...
                                X