No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He absolutely is. BOYS LIFE remains one of my top ten favorite novels, and without MYSTERY WALK, I doubt there would ever have been a Timmy Quinn.
    http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
      I have avoided the movie just because I wanted to keep my vision of the book alive in my head but I do hear good things about, I will more than likely see it one day
      I was a little nervous about the movie initially as the first previews made it seem like it would deviate from the book, but subsequent previews made me decide to watch it (which I would have done anyway, much like anything based on King's work even though they rarely measure up, lol) and was pleasantly surprised.
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
        I liked the movie. Managed to be just as depressing as the book.
        Yes it was, and that is good. Don't know if I would have enjoyed it otherwise.

Loved the open-ended conclusion as well. That one and Children of Men have some of my favorite endings, particularly Children of Men. They both end with at least a semblance of hope, but what would happen if those hopes were dashed? How would those characters react then? Love when these kind of movies have endings the viewers have to use their imaginations about to decide when happens next. I know some people hate the ending of Children of Men because it is not a clearly defined conclusion. I think it is silly to hate having to use your imaginations, but then again some people don't have imaginations. Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking. He wasn't a very bright guy though, lol.

No Country For Old Men (What happened to the wife? That part is not actually shown like pretty much everything else is in the movie. though it is easy to come to certain assumptions) falls into that open ended conclusions thing too, but not as much as those other 2 for me.
        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
          Yes it was, and that is good. Don't know if I would have enjoyed it otherwise.

Loved the open-ended conclusion as well. That one and Children of Men have some of my favorite endings, particularly Children of Men. They both end with at least a semblance of hope, but what would happen if those hopes were dashed? How would those characters react then? Love when these kind of movies have endings the viewers have to use their imaginations about to decide when happens next. I know some people hate the ending of Children of Men because it is not a clearly defined conclusion. I think it is silly to hate having to use your imaginations, but then again some people don't have imaginations. Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking. He wasn't a very bright guy though, lol.

No Country For Old Men (What happened to the wife? That part is not actually shown like pretty much everything else is in the movie. though it is easy to come to certain assumptions) falls into that open ended conclusions thing too, but not as much as those other 2 for me.
          I think it's pretty obvious what becomes of the wife. The whole wiping the shoes on the doormat says all that needs to be said about her fate.

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious what becomes of the wife. The whole wiping the shoes on the doormat says all that needs to be said about her fate.
            That's why it doesn't fall into the open ended conclusion as much as those other movies. I agree with your conclusion, but I have known some people who would hope for the opposite. What ends up happening to Bardem's character is open ended as well, but knowing the character I can make some assumptions.

I think Children of Men's ending is my favorite. If you haven't seen that movie I would recommend it.
            Spoiler!

Comment

Heck I knew someone who didn't like V for Vendetta because there were too many words or too much talking.
              I just finished re-reading "V for Vendetta". While reading the notes about the creation of the series, I got one of those "Yes, I see now that you mention it" moments. Moore pointed out that they took great trouble to let the art do the talking in V. He almost completely did away with narration and thought balloons. Everything was told through the art and dialogue. That's quite a rare feat, and I should have noticed it, because the internal thought expositions and narration were some of my favorite parts of "Swamp Thing".
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

He absolutely is. BOYS LIFE remains one of my top ten favorite novels, and without MYSTERY WALK, I doubt there would ever have been a Timmy Quinn.
                Reading Mystery Walk and I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner!

Comment

Well, have my books chosen pretty much to bring on vacation with me in a few hours. Bringing Prophets of the Ghost Ants, Hell House, and Joyland for sure. Might grab On Writing too, but we'll see. Also bringing my Kindle too, of course.
                  Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                    Reading Mystery Walk and I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner!
                    Love that one.

Comment

Well, have my books chosen pretty much to bring on vacation with me in a few hours. Bringing Prophets of the Ghost Ants, Hell House, and Joyland for sure. Might grab On Writing too, but we'll see. Also bringing my Kindle too, of course.
                      Have you read HELL HOUSE? One of my favorites.

Comment

Have you read HELL HOUSE? One of my favorites.
                        Hell House is high on my list of books I really want to get. If only I had the time to catch up on all I want to read.

Comment

I hear that.

Comment

Working on "Joyland" at work and "The Novellas" by some guy named Burke on the Kindle app on the phone. Almost finished with "The Tent". Lot's of left turns in that one.
                            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

James Lee Burke?

Comment

Highbury: Obviously he was referring to the master of the genre, the multi-award winning bestseller.

So yes, me.

(I friggin' wish.)

Comment

Working...
                                X