On shipping costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On shipping costs

I've purchased quite a number of books from CD over the past ~1.5 years and with much pleasure because your production values are fantastic, but if I can offer one point of criticism: quite often I see books being offered with free US shipping. Couldn't something similar be done for non-US customers? I mean a reduced shipping fee? I've bought books from other small American publishers where the shipping costs were always 8$ per book. That sounded very reasonable to me.

We've really done the best we can to reduce shipping cost for non-US customers by starting to offer the First Class shipping option. I don't know how other publishers offer shipping for $8 per book, without taking a huge loss, and it's just not something we can do. Even if it was something we could do I'm pretty positive that you would not be happy with the condition the books would arrive in. If shipping costs are just to much, and you're from Europe, I would suggest contacting PS Publishing to see if you can order copies from them. They are our only overseas retailer, and they pretty much carry most every book we sell.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

As far as offering free shipping to US customers goes, we only ever do that on per-orders and that's to entice people to order the book up front. I can say something to Brian about possible reducing the shipping about for non-US customers by the standard amount the US customers would be saving, but I'm not sure that's something our shopping cart system can handle at the moment, and truthfully in the grand scheme of things probably would not be that noticeable of saving.

Instagram

Comment

Alright, Thanks for your answer Dan. Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Shipping to Europe hurts the wallet.

But maybe something like a discount on pre orders (the shipping) could be offered since US gets free shipping?

Or you just need to have another free shipping day! But include pre ordersthis time! (from me alone you would get an order of 5-10 books!)

Comment

I would love to be able to offer our Non-US customers some kind of shipping discount on preorders, but the system is kind of "black and white" about shipping. The free shipping for US addresses is something we can turn "on" or "off" but there's no real in-between, unfortunately!

That said, I've been thinking for a while that it was time for another Free Worldwide Shipping day, the first one was really popular. The Post Office is just killing us on the overseas shipping costs -- which I know sucks for our customers because you're the ones who end up actually paying those fees!!

Let me talk to Richard about doing another Free Worldwide Shipping promotion and we'll see what's possible. I'd rather you be able to spend your money on BOOKS and not POSTAGE, but the USPS seems to think differently!

Brian
            Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
            My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Silly USPS.

Comment

The US goverment is trying to boink people across the pond. Watch out!!!
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I don't mind being boinked, but I don't want to have to pay for it

Comment

It's really odd though, it costs significantly less to ship something from overseas to the US than it does the other way around.

Instagram

Comment

I just shipped a kettle to a friend in Denmark. She couldn't find it over there and Amazon sold it here for $65. I still have the postal receipt from the USPS: Weight 4lb 8.6oz, Priority Mail $41.85, Insurance $3.40, total $45.25

The USPS used to be cheap, but not these days.

Comment

Is USPS the only option for shipping overseas or are there alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Pennywise View Post
                          Is USPS the only option for shipping overseas or are there alternatives?
                          There is UPS and Fed-Ex, but if their Non-US shipping rates are comparable to their US shipping rates, they will be more expensive, unfortunately.

Also, a few years back, we asked some of our Non-US customers about whether UPS would be better for them and we were told UPS charges the recipient extra fees for "handling" the custom fees or VAT type charges, too. Not sure if that was accurate or still true, though.

Brian
                          Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

You used to be able to send things from the US in a "media mail" sort of way, but the USPS got rid of that (5 - 10 years ago). Now, it costs me over $20 to send one hardcover to Australia! It really sucks! Shipping costs suck as a whole. Even when you order a used book for 1 penny on Amazon, it really costs $4 because of shipping (making your local used book shop look like a much better place to shop).

Comment

Originally posted by Antmusic View Post
                              You used to be able to send things from the US in a "media mail" sort of way, but the USPS got rid of that (5 - 10 years ago). Now, it costs me over $20 to send one hardcover to Australia! It really sucks! Shipping costs suck as a whole. Even when you order a used book for 1 penny on Amazon, it really costs $4 because of shipping (making your local used book shop look like a much better place to shop).
                              Yeah, shipping costs suck (or boink you, depending on ones point of view ) however, for us 3rd world Aussies, we have to factor in the shipping charges when making the decision to purchase a book. Unfortunately, down here we don't have ready access to quality books from quality publishers, so, time to factor in the "bend over" factor re shipping and just grin and bear it

Comment

Working...
                              X