PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror TV Shows?

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-19-2011, 08:13 PM
My thoughts on some of the current crop of horror shows on TV (DEXTER, THE WALKING DEAD, AN AMERICAN HORROR STORY)...

http://kealanpatrick.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/intermission-ii-horror-on-tv/

Kealan

Greenelk
10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the reminder. Must set my box to record the first episode of the new season of Walking Dead, enjoyed the first season a great deal, but am very interested to see where they're going to take this season.

American Horror Story reaches these shores in November, and I shall add that to my list, and compare my experiences with your own after a few episodes.

Great to see horror back on the small screen though.

Don't know if anyone has picked up on The Fades which is showing on BBC 3 over here. After a slightly dodgy start, I can fully recommend it. Don't know if it's been picked up anywhere in the US

mhatchett
10-21-2011, 08:03 PM
The original Nightstalker! Kolchak was great. I still love the music. Those early X-Files were right on target too. Remember Strange Luck? Before they got too caught up in the UFO thing. There's some good stuff out there. Think I'll go through a bootlet of Brimstone on! Happy halloween! MDH

srboone
10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I really liked Millenium. It was dark, dreary, and absolutely lovely. And only lasted 3 seasons.

frik51
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
X-files, Alfred Hitchcock presents, Thriller (Karloff!!), Twilight Zone, Outer Limits..Dark Shadows...
Not all strictly horror, but some stand-out series.

sk

RJK1981
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
X-Files, Millenium, Dexter, The Outer Limits, The Walking Dead, Fringe

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Greenelk: I've never heard of THE FADES, but I'm intrigued. Will have to keep an eye out for it over here. And yes, definitely check out AHS - it actually seems to be getting better as it goes along...

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 06:56 PM
The original Nightstalker! Kolchak was great. I still love the music. Those early X-Files were right on target too. Remember Strange Luck? Before they got too caught up in the UFO thing. There's some good stuff out there. Think I'll go through a bootlet of Brimstone on! Happy halloween! MDH

I loved the first few seasons of THE X-FILES. And I agree, once it started focusing more on the alien thing, it started to lose me.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I really liked Millenium. It was dark, dreary, and absolutely lovely. And only lasted 3 seasons.

I loved that show. Another one that should have been more successful than it was. Lance Henrickson was perfectly cast too.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 06:58 PM
X-files, Alfred Hitchcock presents, Thriller (Karloff!!), Twilight Zone, Outer Limits..Dark Shadows...

Man, I miss Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I don't think I've ever seen DARK SHADOWS, as I doubt it aired in Ireland back in the day.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
X-Files, Millenium, Dexter, The Outer Limits, The Walking Dead, Fringe

You know, I've never watched a single episode of FRINGE. Not sure why, except perhaps for my utter distaste for Joshua Jackson (AKA smug-face).

I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned AMERICAN GOTHIC, which was certainly a favorite, despite being aired out of order and at different times--an idiotic move that all but guaranteed the death of the show. INVASION was also good while it lasted.

jester05jk
10-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Freddy's Nightmares, original Twilight Zone, Dexter, and more sci-fi but Perversions of Science. Would love to find a copy of them.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Some of the FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES episodes were decent.

How about MONSTERS? TALES FROM THE CRYPT and TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE?

jester05jk
10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
TftC was very good, just rewatched them last summer. Monsters and TftD are about the same as Freddy's Nightmares, very hit or miss.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Agreed. I found the TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE episodes in particular haven't aged very well at all.

peteOcha
10-22-2011, 08:28 PM
The Walking Dead, Dexter, Tales From the Crypt, The Twilight Zone

I knew there was one more I wanted to add to my list, but I can't think of it now...

Greenelk
10-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Greenelk: I've never heard of THE FADES, but I'm intrigued. Will have to keep an eye out for it over here. And yes, definitely check out AHS - it actually seems to be getting better as it goes along...

Not sure how iplayer works, but all of the episodes are on there. Episode one - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0151prg/The_Fades_Episode_1/

For anyone else interested, here's some blurb on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fades_%28TV_series%29

Really not sure if it can last beyond the 6 episodes, but the characters in it are really unusual (the hero is not at all the norm) and it's got better and better as it's gone along

frik51
10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Man, I miss Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Season 5 will be released early next year!

sk

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Not sure how iplayer works, but all of the episodes are on there. Episode one - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0151prg/The_Fades_Episode_1/

For anyone else interested, here's some blurb on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fades_%28TV_series%29

Really not sure if it can last beyond the 6 episodes, but the characters in it are really unusual (the hero is not at all the norm) and it's got better and better as it's gone along

Sweet! I'll give it a look. Thanks for sharing!

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Season 5 will be released early next year!

sk

That's terrific news!

theenormityofitall
10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
How about MONSTERS? TALES FROM THE CRYPT and TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE?

Those are what I was going to mention, especially Tales From The Darkside. But Alfred Hitchcock was great too. You can still see the old reruns up her on a couple different channels.
I don't think anyone mentioned Dark Shadows? Never a fan myself but I loved Nightstalker...my favorite of them all.

frik51
10-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned Dark Shadows?

Somebody did.....:)

sk

gsconquest
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Kealan I also tend to really dislike Joshua Jackson but I managed to somewhat overcome that to enjoy Fringe. I loved TftC and will echo that Darkside has aged poorly. It's been a while but I remember enjoying Friday the 13th the Series. I also miss Elvira.

frik51
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Fringe is one of my current favorites, in spite of JJ.

sk

gsconquest
10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh, and I am not ashamed to say that I freaking love Supernatural.

Dan Hocker
10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Fringe is one of my current favorites, in spite of JJ.

sk

I used to love Fringe, but I stopped watching it for some reason. I can't remember why. I do really like Haven on the Sci-Fi channel. It's a surprisingly good show, as with all the Sci-Fi originals lately. Another good one is Sanctuary.

gsconquest
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I agree Dan. Syfy has stepped it up in regards to original programming. I got really into Haven this year. If anyone hasn't watched a few episodes they are missing out.

TerryE
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I really loved the Twilight Zone incarnation from the mid-80s. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. "Nightcrawlers", "Gramma", "Her Pilgrim Soul" and "Shatterday" are among my favorites.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Agreed Terry. Those were terrific episodes. Watched "Gramma" not so long ago and it still holds up.

I've been curious about HAVEN for quite some time but haven't heard much about it. I think the fact that it was based on THE COLORADO KID put me off it, because as much as I loved that book, the idea of it inspiring a series didn't make much sense to me. But now I may have to track it down and check it out.

SUPERNATURAL is another one I couldn't get into. I think the Calvin Klein-ish brotherly duo put me off it.

Dan Hocker
10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I've been curious about HAVEN for quite some time but haven't heard much about it. I think the fact that it was based on THE COLORADO KID put me off it, because as much as I loved that book, the idea of it inspiring a series didn't make much sense to me. But now I may have to track it down and check it out.

I would say that it's sooo loosely based on The Colorado Kid, that you could say that it really isn't based on that at all. It is chock full of King refrences, so for people who are really into King's work it can be a fun time just trying to pick them all out.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Okay, you sold me. :D

srboone
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I never watched the series, but I saw an epidode of Night Gallery: "Professor __________'s Last Lecture" I think it was titled, in which a professor at Miskatonic University was explaining the Cthulhu mythology to his comparative religion class. All the while, he's slowly turning into Nylarthotep. By the end of the lecture, all of the students are ready for the sanitarium: wide-eyed, drooling, hair disshevelled. Except for a mousy, bespectacled geek named "Howard" who is sitting in the back of the classroom furiously scibbling notes. I laughed myself into a headache over that. Wasn't creepy or scary, but I loved it!

RJK1981
10-25-2011, 02:57 AM
I have to agree with Haven, excellent series that I forgot to mention (knew I was forgetting at least 1 show)

TerryE
10-25-2011, 03:20 AM
I never watched the series, but I saw an epidode of Night Gallery ...

One of my earliest TV memories is an episode of Night Gallery. It was before I ever started school, so it was definitely a world shaping memory.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I watched the entire series of Night Gallery a few years back. It was my first exposure to it, and I loved it. Serling was the man.

srboone
10-27-2011, 05:28 AM
I have a series on DVD called "Kindred: the Embraced" based on the game Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. It wasn't bad, but what i remember about it was thinking that the character (I belive a Tremere) who was the consort of whoever currently bore the title of Prince was one magnificent bitch. I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it being pretty good.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
I remember when that was on, but I never watched it. I always thought it was an offshoot of the (dreadful) horror movie THE KINDRED. Shows what I know.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-28-2011, 05:31 AM
And still no AMERICAN GOTHIC????

Greenelk
10-28-2011, 05:46 AM
And still no AMERICAN GOTHIC????

Ah yes, I loved that when it was on, but as my memory serves, it sort of stuttered to a very unsatisfying end when it was cancelled?

I suppose Twin Peaks should be on my list then. Hooked from the get go, gutted when that was cancelled.

Carnivalle was something very enjoyable as well, but again, cancellation stopped it from fulfulling its potential I'd say.

srboone
10-28-2011, 08:42 AM
I loved Twin Peaks. I was really looking forward to a third season with Agent Cooper as the new Bob. Oh well, the series started to loose steam when Lynch released control anyway. I've got the series on DVD and have watched it entirely twice. Sometimes, I'll go out at night looking for a piece of cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee....

TerryE
10-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I loved Twin Peaks, too. Watching it week in and week out, we never had a clue of where things were going, and that was something great and amazing from network TV. I still remember the episode that ended with Agent Cooper's dream of the dwarf in the red curtain room. The scene alone had me going WTF over and over, but then to realize that the whole thing was filmed backwards to get that great dreamlike quality when it played forward - Wow!

frik51
10-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I loved Twin Peaks.

First season: the best!
Second season: so-so. I don't really know when Lynch released control, but I lost interest about halfways the second season.

sk

srboone
10-28-2011, 03:41 PM
At some point in the series, the action started rolling pretty quickly (compared the wonderfully deliberately-paced1st season); it was right around there.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah, the network butchered AMERICAN GOTHIC. Even the DVD has the episodes out of order, which is baffling to me. I tried and failed to get into TWIN PEAKS. I think I was too young when it aired and a lot of it went over my head. I may have to rewatch it sometime and see how I fare.

TerryE
10-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes, do yourself a favor and give it another try. It won't seem as groundbreaking now, with all the boundaries that have been broken with cable series over the past decade, but it's still great stuff.

Kealan Patrick Burke
10-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll definitely add it to the things I need to revisit (a long list...)

theenormityofitall
11-02-2011, 04:00 AM
One of my earliest TV memories is an episode of Night Gallery. It was before I ever started school, so it was definitely a world shaping memory.
Same here. I saw it as a very lil kid. A few years ago I decided to but them on DVD but they (keep forgetting who...Universal, Columbia?) kept putting off releasing Season 2. They finally did but the problem with Night Gallery was that it was hit and miss. Some would be really good, some would be awful. But who could ever forget the pilot?? Anyone remember that? It had Joan Crawford I think it was but the first episode with Roddy McDowell (sp?), has stayed with me forever! He kills the old man and then everytime he looks at the picture on the wall, the old guy is getting out of his grave and inching closer to the house door. That really freaked me out and still does!

Dan Hocker
11-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Has anyone seen the first episode of "Grimm"? I thought it was pretty good, a "Little Red Riding Hood" theme.

theenormityofitall
11-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Is that what I saw advertising when I was watching football I think on Sunday? It had a woman dead in the woods? If so, it did seem interesting even though I never watch any prime time stuff anymore except sports.

srboone
11-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Actually, I think it was Once Upon a Time advertised for Sunday. Grimm is on mondays. I missed both because of football. I did see the first episode of OUaT and wasn't impressed.

RJK1981
11-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Haven't seen Grimm yet, but did watch the first two episodes of Once Upon a Time and was surprised by it a bit. Too early to say if I'll find it good long term, but enjoyed what I've seen so far. Then again, I think I pretty much assumed the worst about it, so that could be playing into me enjoying what I've seen so far.

The advertisements for the premiere of Grimm did have a dead woman in the woods though, and it at least looks to have a little promise (though this is network television)

Dan Hocker
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Haven't seen Grimm yet, but did watch the first two episodes of Once Upon a Time and was surprised by it a bit. Too early to say if I'll find it good long term, but enjoyed what I've seen so far. Then again, I think I pretty much assumed the worst about it, so that could be playing into me enjoying what I've seen so far.

The advertisements for the premiere of Grimm did have a dead woman in the woods though, and it at least looks to have a little promise (though this is network television)

I saw the first episode the other night. It was kind of "Cop Drama" combined with horror / supernatural elements.

Kealan Patrick Burke
11-03-2011, 12:49 AM
I've heard mixed things about GRIMM. I like the concept, but reviews are not glowing in regard to the execution. I think I'll wait to see if it dodges cancellation before I give it a look.

Ben Staad
11-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I've heard mixed things about GRIMM. I like the concept, but reviews are not glowing in regard to the execution. I think I'll wait to see if it dodges cancellation before I give it a look.

I pretty much pass on all network tv these days. I love the idea but it probably sucks just like everything else on ABC,CBS, NBC, and Fox.

RJK1981
11-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Not everything sucks on those channels...just most of it. Some things are also too high quality to be on those stations. First one to come to mind on that for me would be Kings, which they did a horrible job of promoting to begin with. Didn't know when it was the first week, saw episode 2 and knew it was too high quality to last on a station like NBC and had multiple people agree with me, and then, surprise surprise, it gets cancelled. Would have been better served on something like HBO.

Almost everything on network tv seems to be reality tv or clones of other shows. Almost any time it is something fresh, new, and good it gets cancelled

Dan Hocker
11-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Yea I don't think it'll last. I think the concept is probably just a little to off for the general populous. It'd probably last if it was on Sci-Fi though, as that's pretty much the target audience. Plus these days they don't put shows on Friday that they think will last.

Kealan Patrick Burke
11-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Exactly, and I'm worn out on getting into shows that get axed after the first season.

theenormityofitall
11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I pretty much pass on all network tv these days. I love the idea but it probably sucks just like everything else on ABC,CBS, NBC, and Fox.
LOL you sound exactly like me. All I ever watch anymore are sports or some documentary or movie on "ON DEMAND". Haven't even watched a sitcom since the early 90's.

Kealan Patrick Burke
11-11-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm pretty much an On Demand junkie myself these days. HBO, Showtime, and Starz are about the only channels I waste time on anymore.