PDA

View Full Version : Bluelines

Greenelk
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Another general query. Is their a collectors market for bluelines, and where do people think they sit in the value chain of books?

jhanic
10-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I own a couple of Stephen King bluelines (It and Misery). I think that, because these are virtually unique, they are rather valuable. I don't know if there's a market out there or not, because they are so scarce. They are, however, a "different" kind of collectible that I'm sure doesn't appeal to most collectors.

John

frik51
10-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Is their a collectors market for bluelines

Now, what are bluelines??

sk

Greenelk
10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Now, what are bluelines??

sk

I believe that they're proofs made from the printing plates

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi Guys, found this description of bluelines out on the interwebby thingy :)

"Bluelines are proofs of the page negatives actual representations of each printed page of your book created by holding special light-sensitive paper up to the film. (Everything that will print turns blue, hence the term "bluelines.")"

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 12:52 AM
As to what they look like, I have only one in the collection, being CD's "Strange Highways" by DRK. I'm with John on these, in that they're rare, but due to the nature of the process, they're not much good for reading and need to be stored carefully as they're quite fragile.

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 12:53 AM

jhanic
10-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Here are a couple pictures of mine:

It

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/It1.jpg

Misery

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/Misery1.jpg

John

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 02:02 AM
They're pretty cool John, particularly IT - must be massive in size given the way they're produced :)

frik51
10-09-2011, 04:42 AM
I think I'll pass.....:o

sk

srboone
10-09-2011, 04:56 AM
I guess I just don't understand the purpose of them in the first place. But then I'm slow...:confused:

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 05:25 AM
I think I'll pass.....:o

sk

One's enough for me - they may be collectible, but they're also not that pleasing, aesthetically speaking, when sitting on the shelf :rolleyes:

srboone
10-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Well, Mr. Woot's interwebby thingy is good for somethings. So now I know it's a negative used to check accuracy and position or sctaches and smudges before plates are made.

I assume htey are so rare because there's a different process that can be used or that these things just get thrown away...

jhanic
10-09-2011, 11:49 AM
They're pretty cool John, particularly IT - must be massive in size given the way they're produced :)

I think it is kind of neat. Unfortunately, the IT is missing four signatures. It's still about 2 1/2" thick. Both bluelines have the original markings from the various people who work at the printers and, of course, are not in "mint" condition, showing that they were the original working items.

And I agree, aesthetically, they're not attractive, but I've always liked the oddball things anyway.

John

Grant Wootton
10-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I think it is kind of neat. Unfortunately, the IT is missing four signatures. It's still about 2 1/2" thick. Both bluelines have the original markings from the various people who work at the printers and, of course, are not in "mint" condition, showing that they were the original working items.

And I agree, aesthetically, they're not attractive, but I've always liked the oddball things anyway.

John

I concur on the oddball aspect - love 'em ;)

Dan Hocker
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Hmm that's odd neither of those blue lines look quite like the blue lines I've seen. The ones that usually come through CD are all individual pages printed front and back, exactly like the book pages. These are sent to us prior to printing the book as one last final check to make sure nothing is wrong with the book. What you guys have looks a lot like what's called a "Folded and Gathered" which is essentially an unbound book, another level of what's basically the same thing as blue lines, with the exception that in most instances only either the blue lines are made or they make the Folded and Gathered. We don't do too many folded and gathered at CD, usually only if it's a really special / important book.

Grant Wootton
10-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Hmm that's odd neither of those blue lines look quite like the blue lines I've seen. The ones that usually come through CD are all individual pages printed front and back, exactly like the book pages. These are sent to us prior to printing the book as one last final check to make sure nothing is wrong with the book. What you guys have looks a lot like what's called a "Folded and Gathered" which is essentially an unbound book, another level of what's basically the same thing as blue lines, with the exception that in most instances only either the blue lines are made or they make the Folded and Gathered. We don't do too many folded and gathered at CD, usually only if it's a really special / important book.

It's all Greek to me :) The one I have "Strange Highways" is from (via another collector) CD - so ... this makes it a really special / important thing that I (we, including John) have ???? Still maintain that, whilst not quite as ugly as sin, it's a close bloody relation :D

Dan Hocker
10-11-2011, 03:44 AM
It's all Greek to me :) The one I have "Strange Highways" is from (via another collector) CD - so ... this makes it a really special / important thing that I (we, including John) have ???? Still maintain that, whilst not quite as ugly as sin, it's a close bloody relation :D

That one's old enough that it may be how the blue lines where done then (before my time). Also it most likely was printed via a different printer than we're using now, and each printer does things a bit differently.

Grant Wootton
10-11-2011, 04:02 AM
That one's old enough that it may be how the blue lines where done then (before my time). Also it most likely was printed via a different printer than we're using now, and each printer does things a bit differently.

Thanks Dan - we learn something new every day :cool:

jhanic
10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
When I first saw pictures of those King bluelines, I thought they were F&Gs, but after I received them, I realized they were not "just" F&Gs, but bluelines. As Dan said, each printer does things differently. These were done by R.R. Donnelley & Sons. I sent them an email but never received a response.

John

jhanic
10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Dan, would it be possible for you to post a picture of a typical CD blueline? Just curious.

John

Dan Hocker
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Sure thing John, just went up front and took some shots with my phone. All the pages are individual, printed front and back.894895896897

jhanic
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Interesting! Thanks a lot!

John

Grant Wootton
10-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Cool, had one of these and didn't even know it :cool: :p

Grant Wootton
10-12-2011, 02:31 AM

jhanic
10-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice!

John

Grant Wootton
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Nice!

John

Thanks John, it came with a bunch of other stuff from CD as part of a "special" they ran earler this year - didn't give it much (any) thought until Mr Elk started this thread :)

Dan Hocker
10-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks John, it came with a bunch of other stuff from CD as part of a "special" they ran earler this year - didn't give it much (any) thought until Mr Elk started this thread :)

I remember that one, I think it was the "Ultimate Collectors Extravaganza"

Grant Wootton
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I remember that one, I think it was the "Ultimate Collectors Extravaganza"

I reckon you're right on the money Mr H :cool:

Greenelk
10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I think I won mine in a CD 'raffle' a few years back. I'd have to dig through thousands of work emails to cofirm that though.

The Winchester Horror -

One thing I will say, it really smells bad!

Brian James Freeman
10-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Hmm that's odd neither of those blue lines look quite like the blue lines I've seen. The ones that usually come through CD are all individual pages printed front and back, exactly like the book pages.

And the young Mr. Hocker shows his age! ;)

Some information for the collectors:

We still call them bluelines because the stage of publication they represent is the same, but I don't know if any printer still actually makes them like the old days. Now they're just printed digitally, but there's still usually only ONE set for each book and sometimes they're actually a little different than the final book for reasons I'll mention in a moment.

The purpose is still the same: the printer sends them to the publisher BEFORE printing the book so the publisher can confirm the pages are set as intended. This is the very last step before the printer starts running the press.

Every now and then, you catch a mistake at this stage and you can fix it. But that also means the text of the "bluelines" is slightly different than the final book in that case.

By the way, once or twice I've seen something catastrophic get caught at this stage -- and the printer will run a new set of bluelines for final confirmation after resetting the pages, just so you can be sure everything has been put back together okay.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
10-21-2011, 03:12 AM
Different printers and publishers sometimes use different terms for the same thing, or the same terms for different things, but a comment on something else that was mentioned:

F&Gs = Folded and Gathered.

This is an optional step that follows the bluelines stage. The printer runs one copy of the interior of the book, "gathered" into the signatures, but not actually bound.

This can be expensive and really is not needed if the bluelines looked good -- but sometimes, if we're really paranoid about a project, we do request them. There is one project this year where I've asked for F&Gs. You might be able to guess which one. (I hope to see them in about two weeks.)

Brian

RJK1981
10-21-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm guessing that project would be the It anniversary edition that was recently sent to the printer

jhanic
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Brian has posted a very informative item regarding bluelines and F&Gs:

http://brianjamesfreeman.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/a-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-of-it-the-25th-anniversary-special-limited-edition-by-stephen-king/

(Sorry to steal your thunder here, Brian!)

John

Brian James Freeman
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Brian has posted a very informative item regarding bluelines and F&Gs:

http://brianjamesfreeman.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/a-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-of-it-the-25th-anniversary-special-limited-edition-by-stephen-king/

(Sorry to steal your thunder here, Brian!)

John

Ha, I knew I had been posting about bluelines and F&Gs somewhere recently! ;)

Brian

Ben Staad
12-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Good stuff, Brian! Thanks for sharing.

jhanic
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Just got this today:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_Proofs/LiljasLibrarybluelinescover.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_Proofs/LiljasLibrarybluelinestitlepage.jpg

Lilja's Library blue lines from Cemetary Dance.

John

Ben Staad
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Congrats on the blue lines, John!

Grant Wootton
01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Excellent coup (as always) John !!!!! :cool:

jhanic
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I found out a few days ago that the signature on the cover is, indeed, Lilja's, too.

John

Grant Wootton
01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I found out a few days ago that the signature on the cover is, indeed, Lilja's, too.

John

Even better, then :cool:

Martin
01-29-2012, 04:26 PM
I posted this in my collection thread. Since it is the only Blueline I own I thought I would add it here as well.

Ray Garton's Scissors:
My general opinion on Bluelines is that they are cool and I am glad I have one, however they are not something I go looking for. They are not very attractive on the shelf and are not possible to read as they are not bound. Glad I have one though, I got mine from a CD offer several years back.

Ben Staad
01-29-2012, 04:32 PM
That is very cool, Martin! Congrats.

jhanic
01-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree--they're not that attractive and are almost impossible to display, but I've always been attracted to the off-beat items, so I really like them.

John

jhanic
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I just got the blue lines for the Stand art portfolio. They are the same size as the art prints, but are blue. Unfortunately, they're too big for my scanner.

John

Grant Wootton
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I just got the blue lines for the Stand art portfolio. They are the same size as the art prints, but are blue. Unfortunately, they're too big for my scanner.

John

Bugger !!! Would have liked to see these :(

srboone
02-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Blue Lines are intriguing, to say the least. But let me ask the collectors out there: did you buy them from the publisher, get them of the net, what?

Grant Wootton
02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Blue Lines are intriguing, to say the least. But let me ask the collectors out there: did you buy them from the publisher, get them of the net, what?

I've two of these - one (Ghost On The Glider) was purchased through CD, the other, (Strange Highways x DRK) was off a private collector in the US that I deal with.

srboone
02-02-2012, 09:39 PM
As CD grab bag or specifically the bluelines, Mr. Woot?

jhanic
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I got all mine from other collectors.

John

Grant Wootton
02-03-2012, 01:08 AM
As CD grab bag or specifically the bluelines, Mr. Woot?

Nah, was a special offer CD ran maybe 12 months ago (give or take) - came with printing plate, art proofs, cover art and other stuff :)

srboone
02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Nah, was a special offer CD ran maybe 12 months ago (give or take) - came with printing plate, art proofs, cover art and other stuff :)

I remember that one....I passed on it...:(

Dan Hocker
02-03-2012, 03:05 AM
I remember that one....I passed on it...:(

Don't worry it's a semi-annually reoccurring thing. Just have to wait for the production materials to build up again. I'm sure we'll do another once we get through the big lettered edition catch up this year and have all those stamping dies free.

Grant Wootton
02-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Don't worry it's a semi-annually reoccurring thing. Just have to wait for the production materials to build up again. I'm sure we'll do another once we get through the big lettered edition catch up this year and have all those stamping dies free.

Drool .... Lettered Edition catch-up - Dan, those are the four sweetest words I've heard all day !!!!! The only words that could have been more welcome would be You've Won The Lottery :p

jhanic
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I just got the CD blue lines for the 25th Anniversary edition of IT:

Title page:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/ITCDTitlepagebluelines.jpg

Page 2 of the text:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/ITCDPage2bluelines.jpg

One of the pictures:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/ITCDPictuebluelines.jpg

John

srboone
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Cool!

Grant Wootton
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Very nice John - did you get this via the recent CD offer (just curious) :confused:

jhanic
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
No, this was a private seller.

John

pennynutter
06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Would a blue line of Grave Tales #1 be of any value? Does anyone have any idea?