Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy

Posting a bit of a personal survey. Just wondering how many people on these boards are into the fantasy genre? If you are, post some of your favorite authors.
    Yes
    77.27%
    No
    22.73%
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I'm not into fantasy extensively, but loved the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and the Lord of the Rings. I've read A Game of Thrones and the first half of Clash.

And there's a fantasy epic that has been gestating in my mind for a long time.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I really enjoy GRRM's work. Hmm, I know there's more but my mind seems to have gone blank and all I can think of is GRRM (I'm finishing off book 3 now, and well... lets just say that things are really picking up!!!!).

I've been meaning to check out some authors in the fantasy genre as well: Jordan, Brooks, and a few more.

Comment

I love fantasy. The Lord of the Rings has been my favorite piece of fiction for as long as I can remember, and Stephen Donaldson is one of my favorite authors ever.
        I'm also very fond of Martin's work, although I haven't read his A Song of Ice and Fire yet. Anyone read his Fêvre Dream? Not fantasy, more horror - very, very good.
        Then, there's Stephen Erikson, with his Malazon series.
        There are more, but these are the best I can think of offhand.

sk

Comment

Enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy like a lot of fans of Fantasy, of course. Favorite fantasy authors are Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman though, and a lot of the Dragonlance series of books, though I haven't read any in a while now.
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Read read and re-read Tolkien, Brooks, Donaldson, Leiber growing up. Graduated to Moorcock (still one of my favorite authors) when I got to college. Martin's SoF&I is terrific, though I haven't read past book 2. Really like Zelazney's Amber books. In 1978, I ran across a book called The Borribles by Michael de Larrabetti which I've read at least 20 times over the years. Favorite fantasy book is The Worm Ouroboros by E R Eddison. Tried reading Tad Williams, but couldn't get into Memory, Thorn and Sorrow series. Never made it through Jordan's Ey of the World, so no point in cpontinuing with the sereis. Never tried Goodkind.
            Last edited by srboone; 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Dan, are you expecting a "No" vote from anyone. Seriously?
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

As not to be repetitive I'm a fan of all the authors listed above. One author not listed whom I enjoy is David Farland. DF's Runelord series (at least the first 3 or 4 I've read) were excellent.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

Stephen R. Donaldson!!!!!!!
                  Robin Hobb
                  George R. R. Marin
                  Patrick Rothfuss
                  Robert Jordan
                  Guy Gavriel Kay
                  China Mieville
                  Thomas Harlan
                  Scott Lynch
                  David Wingrove (technially scifi. Great series Chung Kuo was 8 books and is being rereleased in UK as a 20 book series)
                  Janny Wurts
                  Tad Williams
                  Terry Goodkind
                  Last edited by bsaenz24; 10-04-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    Dan, are you expecting a "No" vote from anyone. Seriously?
                    Not really, but you never know. I'm more using it as a means of gauging everyone's favorite fantasy authors.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Cool...forgot to mention China Meiville as did bsaenz24.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Oh, did I mention:

Comment

Less so these days, but still buy everything Tad Williams writes. Mark Chadbourn is another essential for me, The Age of Misrule and all the books that followed that are fantastic IMHO.

The Shannara series was probably responsible for getting me into reading in the first place, and though I've not purchased a Feist book in ages, Magician was epic, and at least the following 5 books were day of releases purchases for a younger Greenelk!!
                          http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

I agree with a lot of the authors listed above, particularly Tolkien. I've heard great things about David Farland's Runelord series but I haven't had a chance to tackle that one yet. I didn't see a mention of Brandon Sanderson. Also, one author I haven't seen listed yet is Terry Pratchett. While it's not always considered "serious" fantasy, the Discworld series is a lot of fun to read and it's frequently hilarious. Like a lot of the fantasy series out there, it encompasses a lot of material as well. There are about 40 novels so far. I haven't made my way through all of them yet, but I'm close...and it's generally fast reading.

Comment

Dan and All,
                              I’m probably something of an anomaly here because I’m way more into Fantasy than Horror, though my favorite is when they are blended together. I hang around here because there are so many nice people on this forum.
                              Karl Edward Wagner ( Best Short Werewolf Story? Check out Death Angel’s Shadow)
                              Robert E. Howard The King!
                              Lin Carter
                              Fritz Leiber
                              Peter Brett
                              David Gemmell
                              Joe Abercrombie
                              Glen Cook (Nightshade has done a really good job with these)
                              Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind, Great!)
                              Scott Lynch
                              Brent Weeks (The Way of Shadows)
                              Robert Adams
                              Michael Moorcock
                              Mark Lawrence (Prince of Thorns, We’ll see)
                              Kage Baker
                              Robin Hobb
                              Manly Wade Wellman
                              And Hopefully, The Road Goes on Forever. MDH

Comment

Working...
                              X