Movie Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Suggestions?

I'll be going away next week to a campsite which is hosting its annual Halloween theme. It's a great time, especially for the kids, with site-to-site trick-or-treating and the like and a site decorating contest which, if I'm allowed to brag a little, I came in 3rd place out of 500 last year. Now, to really enjoy the experience, I'll be bringing some horror novels and films (like Trick 'r Treat, which is now an October tradition). But I'd really like to rent a couple films I've never watched before so I can watch them in the RV late in the evening. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions that would fit the bill. If it helps any, I'm specifically interested in either religious themed horror (cults, witches, Satan, etc) or films dripping with Halloween atmosphere, something that's maybe a little campy, fun and scary at the same time.

Any suggestions are severely appreciated.
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

For recent films, try Drag Me to Hell. It doesn't really fit into either category, but it does deal with gypsy curses, deamons and ritual seances--as only Sam Raimi can do it! Campy, scary and definitely a lot of fun!!!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I think the old Jason movies work good for camping, the whole lake/camp setting of the first films fits for your outing. Hmmm, haven't seen many horror movies lately.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        For recent films, try Drag Me to Hell. It doesn't really fit into either category, but it does deal with gypsy curses, deamons and ritual seances--as only Sam Raimi can do it! Campy, scary and definitely a lot of fun!!!
        Have to agree on this one. Loved it and it'd be a good one for Halloween
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

I'm glad to see Trick r' Treat catching on, I loved that movie. Dead Snow definitely fits the bill for campy and fun with a few scares thrown in. It's isn't an English language film but I didn't find reading the subtitles distracting. If I haven't sold you yet, I'll just say this: Nazi Zombies.
          Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I agree with Dead Snow and I hate subtitles. Any of the Halloween movies work, part 3 is a break from Michael Myers and goes the cult route so that's win-win for you. Hatchet is good and takes place in the swamps of New Orleans, Cabin Fever goes with the camping theme. I just saw Stakeland the other week and liked it a lot, post apocalyptic vampire flick. Trollhunter was a little slow, subtitled, but the trolls were pretty cool looking. Madman is an old one that is based around a summer camp, slasher style.

Comment

Let Me In or Let The Right One In are both good movies
              Spoiler!

Comment

I'm a fan of the Sleepaway Camp series
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The Burning immediately comes to mind as one of the better summer camp slasher flicks of the '80s. And the two Blair Witch films are fun to watch as well.
                  "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
                    And the two Blair Witch films are fun to watch as well.
                    I will agree about the first Blair Witch movie, but have to say that the 2nd one was horrible. I actually own both and would regret buying the 2nd one, but I got it free with the first so I didn't actually buy it. That set also came with some computer games as well that I ended up throwing away and not bothering with, lol. I knew they could be very good if they came in a box set with the first movie for the same price as the first movie by itself, lol
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Trick 'r Treat...superb. Seriously, what a fun Halloween film. Here's another one I recently caught that I think is excellent as well: Satan's Little Helper. It won't change your life, but the tension was choreographed quite well in it. Although this film might seem a bit dated in modern times, I have to say I've always enjoyed Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter. Another one that is quite dated but that I absolutely love: The Monster Club with Vincent Price; it's an anthology film in the tradition of old British horror.

Comment

Ditto Sleepaway Camp, and I'd also say for classics,

Curse of the Demon with Dana Andrews, directed by Jacques Tourneur

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050766/

Actually anything by Jacques Tourneur, directed by him, is good!

Comment

Another that I should have mentioned before is Phantasm. It isn't set in Halloween but it is a classic.
                          Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Working...
                          X