PDA

View Full Version : Questions Anyone?

Ronald Kelly
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
If you've got questions for Ol' Ron, you can post 'em here and I'll be happy to oblige. Maybe questions about my writing process, future projects, what influences me, what color drawers I have on today... anything. Feel free to ask.

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I knew Ron would tell me what color drawers he would have on, but my wife said nnnnnooooooooo!!!!! Now I'll see if I can come up with other questions!! By the way, how cool is this?!?!? I don't know many authors who would make themselves so available to fans. Yet another reason we love Ron!

Ronald Kelly
08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Hanes. Jet black with a gray waistband. My youngest daughter, Chigger, calls them "Blackie-Whackies", as opposed to "Tighty-Whities". Not sure if that sounds quite right...

Ben Staad
08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Hanes. Jet black with a gray waistband. My youngest daughter, Chigger, calls them "Blackie-Whackies", as opposed to "Tighty-Whities". Not sure if that sounds quite right...

LOL!!! No that doesn't sound right at all.

Ronald Kelly
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds better than "Reddie Headies" or "Bluey-Hughies". Or "Yeller Fellers".

Ben Staad
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Sounds better than "Reddie Headies" or "Bluey-Hughies". Or "Yeller Fellers".

Yep your right. All of those sound like some type of issue that can only be solved with penicillin.

Ben Staad
08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
BTW...Thanks for the opportunity to ask you some questions. I had a few questions about Hell Hollow but I wanted to get the book out again before I ask them.

Tito_Villa
08-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm always interested to hear of writers inspirations, as I have been writing on and off for the last year. Thanks Tom

Ronald Kelly
08-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm always interested to hear of writers inspirations, as I have been writing on and off for the last year. Thanks Tom

My interest in writing started around the time I was thirteen or fourteen, Tom. I was reading alot of Poe, Bierce, and Bradbury. I was also rabidly consuming Doc Savage and The Avenger reprints at an alarming rate. By the time I was writing short stories in my senior year of high school, I was starting to read early King, Matheson, and Manly Wade Wellman.

I didn't go to college (I came from a poor blue-collar family), so I wrote in my spare time while working in the factories. I jumped from one genre to another -- science fiction, adventure, western -- until I returned to my first love, horror, around the mid-80's. It was at that time that I was greatly influenced by writers like Joe Lansdale and Robert McCammon. Their unashamed way of writing about the South and its dark side showed me that you could write about what you truly know and be successful. Almost immediately I started selling to the small press magazines (Cemetery Dance, Deathrealm, Grue, etc.) and sold my first novel by 1989.

Even now, during this second career, I have positive influences among my peers. Brian Keene, Brian Smith, John R. Little, James Newman... just to name a few. Honestly, despite forecasts of gloom and doom, I think this is a great time to be a horror author.

srboone
08-31-2011, 01:28 AM
So, Ron, are you writing full-time or are working to pay the bills while writing?

Ronald Kelly
08-31-2011, 04:13 AM
So, Ron, are you writing full-time or are working to pay the bills while writing?

Unfortunately, Squire, I'm still punching the time clock. I have three kids -- ages 3, 7, and 13 -- and my job security is health and dental insurance for them. I did write professionally for eight years way back in the 90s, when it was just me and my wife, but I'd hate to live that way again... rushing to the mailbox every day, praying for an advance or royalty check to arrive just to make the house payment or buy groceries. If things go well, I can see myself writing full-time in a year or two. But right now, I'm right where I need to be.

Tito_Villa
08-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the answer Ronald!

srboone
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Ron. I'm getting ready to embark on Slocum and the Gold Slaves & Slocum and the Nightriders. Where do these fit into the timeline of your writing? Are the published texts heavily modified? And how do you look upon them today?

Ronald Kelly
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Ron. I'm getting ready to embark on Slocum and the Gold Slaves & Slocum and the Nightriders. Where do these fit into the timeline of your writing? Are the published texts heavily modified? And how do you look upon them today?

The two Slocum books I wrote came in 1993-94; around the time of Father's Little Helper & The Possession. My agent at the time came to me, wanting to know if I wanted to fill a spot caused by a previous ghost-writer's death. I agreed and wrote Nightriders & Gold Slaves. Berkley provided a "Slocum Bible" detailing the main character's history and, unlike some of the other writers in the series, I implimented alot of John Slocum's background into my storylines. And, of course, there was the two or three sex scenes that necessary for the adult theme of the books.

These books were easy to write. I could crank out one in a week and a half and it was an easy $5000 in my pocket. As far as I know, neither book was heavily edited and were pretty much the way I wrote them. But right when I was getting started and hoping for a lucrative side job in addition to my Zebra novels, Berkley shut down the Slocum line for a period of time. When they started back up, someone else had filled my spot and that was that. Honestly, I think these little western novels hold up well, particularly [I]Gold Slaves[I], which took place in the frozen wilderness of Alaska.

Incidently, I put a character named Kelly somewhere in the two books, to sort of leave my mark and let insiders know who penned them. :)

srboone
08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Outstanding Ron!!! Can't wait to get to them; I'm in the final stretch of Odyssey: A Modern Sequel, then onto them. Slocum--rather suggestive name.

srboone
09-01-2011, 01:58 AM
What was the inspiration behind "Popsicle Man" from After the Burn? Of all the stories in the book, this is the one that stunned me with it's mixture of horror and humor, always surprising me with the directions you took the story. It is, for me, one of your best works--imaginative, witty, horrorific, and quite memorable.

There were no story notes in ATB and if you have them online, I apologize for not finding them.

Ronald Kelly
09-01-2011, 04:23 AM
There's a very personal reason for me writing "Popsicle Man". If you read my introduction to the Bad Moon Books edition of John R. Little's The Memory Tree, you'll have a good idea why (it's also the reason why I dedicated "PM" to John). Simply put, one of my children suffered abuse at the hands of a child molester several years ago and my loathing of such creatures (I refuse to classify them as 'people') probably shines through in this tale. I also wanted to give defenseless victims of such lurid subhumans a champion. So I came up with the Angel of Vengeance in the form of a post-apocalyptic Good Humor Man.

The child molesters themselves -- the Clownies -- were inspired by the serial killer John Wayne Gacy more than anything else, I suppose. I once saw a photo of a smiling Gacy dressed as a clown and the image still sends shivers down my spine. After the end of the world, I don't believe it would be too far-fetched to imagine a whole brigade of the sick bastards roaming the ruins, looking for children to prey upon. As for the humor, maybe it's a defense mechanism on my part... something to ward off those ugly old memories and keep the storyline balanced and in prespective, without allowing my own biases and hard feelings to dominate the narrative (neither the local police or Department of Children's Services would do anything to help us in our situation).

Antmusic
09-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Gah, that is horrific, Ron. I'm very sorry to hear about that. I think you had mentioned it before, but I probably blocked it out. Horrible.

srboone
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you Ron, I know how difficult that was for you to write (and you didn't have to). And I'm sorry for having you dredge those memories up. Eventually somebody was bound to put their foot in ther mouth in this thread and it was me...I feel awful.

"Popsicle Man" is truly something special.

Ronald Kelly
09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Don't worry about it, Squire. This has pretty much been public knowledge since BMB released TMT. If you learn anything about Ol' Ron, it's that I'm pretty upfront about things and brutally honest about others. I appreciate your question and your kind comments about "Popsicle Man", too. It was one of my favorites among the ATB stories.

Tito_Villa
09-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Ron just tried to reply to your pm but your inbox is full :)

Ronald Kelly
09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Hey Ron just tried to reply to your pm but your inbox is full :)

It's empty now, Tom. Give it another try.

srboone
09-03-2011, 12:10 PM
You wrote the intro to The Memory Tree by John R. Little; have you written any others? or other odd pieces that have found their ways into publication?

Ronald Kelly
09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I also wrote the introduction to Four Rode Out, the weird western collection CD put out starring Keene, Vernon, Lebbon, and Curran... as well as the intro to Mark Justice's first short story collection, Looking at the World with Broken Glass in my Eye, published by Graveside Books.

srboone
10-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Your website says you're also wokring on a mystery with a detective modelled after your Grandpa Kelly, and will include some of his dry witticisms. Will "I won't look under a skunk's tail twice" be one of them? ;)

Ronald Kelly
10-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Grandpa Kelly's first mystery, Dead Old Men, will likely be chocked full of the old dude's wit and wisdom. And, yes, I'm sure his infamous 'skunk tail' quote will make it in there. :)

peteOcha
10-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Sounds good, can't wait!

srboone
10-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Will there be anymore new covers for the Essentials collection, or is UM the only one?

Ronald Kelly
10-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Every volume of the Essentials will have a new cover by Alex McVey, Squire. I think the snake-critter on FEAR is a good companion to the Blue Werewolf cover on UM, don't you?

srboone
10-26-2011, 04:03 AM
It is. For some reaon I thought the snake was the cover of the Z paperback. That's what prompted the question, but I was wrong. I'm kinda confused about the spine art, they don't seem to go together, but I'm probably wrong again. Maybe I can e-mail Paul and see if he has a pic of what it is supposed to be...

bsaenz24
10-26-2011, 04:24 AM
It is. For some reaon I thought the snake was the cover of the Z paperback. That's what prompted the question, but I was wrong. I'm kinda confused about the spine art, they don't seem to go together, but I'm probably wrong again. Maybe I can e-mail Paul and see if he has a pic of what it is supposed to be...

Maybe when the picture is done, UM and Fear don't actually sit next to each other?? Maybe they're being sneaky!!!

srboone
10-26-2011, 07:07 AM
I thought of that, that's when I thought of emailing Paul. Haven't had time to do it,yet.

Ben Staad
10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Ron~You have noted that you write southern fried horror. Are there any writing tricks (styles) you use to convey the "southern" feel or does this come naturally from you when writing?

Ronald Kelly
10-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I thought of that, that's when I thought of emailing Paul. Haven't had time to do it,yet.

No, actually, it does match... if you know what you're looking for.

I won't reveal the nature of the entire spine-picture. Just think of a landscape and look at the two spines again. Dark night sky above, rolling Tennessee hill below...

Also, each spine holds an image from the storyline of that particular book. UM sports a tombstone, while Fear is the slimy gray tenticle of the thing lurking beneath the kudzu...

Hope this helps solve the mystery some. :)

Ronald Kelly
10-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Ron~You have noted that you write southern fried horror. Are there any writing tricks (styles) you use to convey the "southern" feel or does this come naturally from you when writing?

Truthfully, I really don't think about it all. I reckon it all comes natural. I tend to channel my life experiences in Tennessee, my youth, the folks around me and those I've known in the past, the nature of the region around me, etc. I'm a firm believer in "you write what you know". When I was writing the "Be A Star" stories for clients of CD, I actually had to restrain my natural tendancy to write in a "Southern accent". Since most of the subjects of the stories were Northerners, I had to adjust my writing style to accommodate that mind-set. The same with the stories I wrote for folks who lived in Canada, Germany, and Australia.

srboone
10-28-2011, 10:48 PM
No, actually, it does match... if you know what you're looking for.

I won't reveal the nature of the entire spine-picture. Just think of a landscape and look at the two spines again. Dark night sky above, rolling Tennessee hill below...

Also, each spine holds an image from the storyline of that particular book. UM sports a tombstone, while Fear is the slimy gray tenticle of the thing lurking beneath the kudzu...

Hope this helps solve the mystery some. :)

Once I got the books on a shelf, instead of holding them together, it started to make sense. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

srboone
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
What's life like in your town, Ron? Are you a celebrity? Are you regular ol' Ron? Is it possible for you to be RoR? Do people watch you out of the corner of their eyes? Are you a boogeyman parents use to keep children under control? Do kids scare each with with stories about you (or with your stories)? Always wondered about that...:confused:

Ben Staad
11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Truthfully, I really don't think about it all. I reckon it all comes natural. I tend to channel my life experiences in Tennessee, my youth, the folks around me and those I've known in the past, the nature of the region around me, etc. I'm a firm believer in "you write what you know". When I was writing the "Be A Star" stories for clients of CD, I actually had to restrain my natural tendancy to write in a "Southern accent". Since most of the subjects of the stories were Northerners, I had to adjust my writing style to accommodate that mind-set. The same with the stories I wrote for folks who lived in Canada, Germany, and Australia.

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm guessing this is why there is a truthful feel to your writing.

Ronald Kelly
11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
What's life like in your town, Ron? Are you a celebrity? Are you regular ol' Ron? Is it possible for you to be RoR? Do people watch you out of the corner of their eyes? Are you a boogeyman parents use to keep children under control? Do kids scare each with with stories about you (or with your stories)? Always wondered about that...:confused:

No... not a celebrity around here in Brush Creek, Squire. Not at all. Just plain ol' Ron. In everyday life, I'm sort of quiet and a bit introverted (my wife, Joyce, is the outgoing one). So I'm not much for blowing my own horn... especially if there's blood dripping from it. A few folks in the area know that I write, but they don't make a big deal about it... which I prefer. A handful of people at my church know that I write, but don't know what I write (which I also prefer, since I'm active with youth projects and write and direct the Christmas play every year, and I'm not sure they would want me to continue to do that if, say, they read AFTER THE BURN or THE SICK STUFF.)

My in-laws don't care anything about books, so they've never been the least bit impressed with my being an author (is that a twinge of bitterness I hear, Ron?). In fact, my sister-in-law, told them, back when Joyce and I was dating, that only devil worshippers write horror and they believed it for a while. Also, when I was writing full time back in the early 90's, they pretty much thought I was a bum and had no job, although I had books in every Wal-Mart in the country. But enough about that...

Perhaps children would be scared of me if I toted copies of Undertaker's Moon and Fear around under my arm and then, cackling insanely, chased them, holding the books outstretched, making growling werewolf noises and snake-critter hisses. My kids certainly aren't afraid of me. Maybe they would be, if I wrote them into a story... :eek:

srboone
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Ok, then. Mum's the word if I ever find myself in Brush Creek!

Thanks for taking the time and good luck with all the projects you got on your platter.

peteOcha
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Good question Squire! And a great response from Ron of course! :)

srboone
11-19-2011, 02:50 AM
I found a screenplay based on Fear online. How long has that been hanging around unproduced? Or did you not know about it?

Ronald Kelly
11-19-2011, 04:03 AM
A screenwriter in L.A. optioned the rights for FEAR a couple of years back and submitted the script to numerous production companies for a while, without success.

I'm actually surprised that it's out there in cyber-space where anyone can read it. I'd appreciate it if you'd give me the link, Squire, so I can check it out myself. :confused:

srboone
11-19-2011, 04:15 AM
I PMed you the link, Ron.

srboone
11-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Ron, did any one remember?

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?847-Birthday-greetings-for-forum-members&p=15376#post15376

Ronald Kelly
11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
You did, Squire. Thank alot, hoss. :)

srboone
11-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Once I realized you were on this forum, I've had the day marked on my calendar. Nearly 3 months!:o

gsconquest
11-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Ron, just wanted to drop by and say that I recently went on a Ronald Kelly binge. I hit up Fear, Possession, and Father's Little Helper a week or two ago and really enjoyed all of them. I live just down the road from the Brentwood/Franklin area and it was cool reading a book set somewhere I have spent so much time. Location aside, I really enjoyed all of them a great deal. I found myself yelling at the police in Father's Little Helper. It seemed like every time they had Sonny cornered they let him slip away. Frustrating, but it made for great reading. Do any of your other books venture further into Fear County?

Ronald Kelly
11-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying your tour of my Southern-fried fiction, gsconquest (but then you're a home boy... we only live sixty miles from one another!)

To answer your question, my novella "The Seedling" delves into Fear County territory a little, showing what horrors might develop in our world if the darkness of Fear County invaded our every day lives. You can read it in the Thunderstorm edition of Essential Volume #2 or the e-book just released by Crossroad Press.

I am seriously considering writing a sequel to FEAR, in which Jeb's granddaughter travels into the heart of Fear County and Jeb (now an old man) and Hot Pappy (the mojo-man character in "The Seedling") brave the terrors across the borders to rescue her. I may tackle that... if I can ever finish A DARK & BLOODY GROUND.

srboone
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
It's been a month and a half, ROn. How's life treating you? How were your holidays? What's your latest endeavor? How are you coming on all the others?

Ronald Kelly
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey Squire! We had a wonderful Christmas, although it still looks like a Toys R Us exploded inside our house. I've been a little under the weather physically. Still got some aches and pains from that dadblamed hernia surgery, plus I've been suffering from diverticulitis, which hasn't been too fun. I reckon Ol' Ron's just getting old. lol! Frankly, pain tends to douse the flame of creativity in me, so I haven't been writing much during the past couple of months.

My latest endeavor is pretty much catching up on all the other endeavors I've had on the backburner for awhile. I'm working on the manuscript for the Essentials #3, THE DARK'UN, plus the novella, which should have been turned in around the first of November. The next edition will be coming out about four months late, but don't blame Paul at TB, cause it's my fault that the schedule is lagging behind. Also, I'm planning on getting back to work on A DARK & BLOODY GROUND again soon. Believe it or not, I got within five chapters of having it finished and found that some key elements of the plot simply didn't work for me. So I've decided to retool it and make it the novel that both you and I would want to read.

Plus, I'm still remarquing and shipping copies of UM and Fear (I apologize to those who haven't recieved their copies yet, but it's been more time-consuming than I thought it would be).

srboone
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Good to hear from you, Ron. Take care of yourself and retool anything you need to in AD&B Ground, I haven't been this excited about a book in a long time! KansasCity has had zero snow this year! If this keeps up, I'm blowing this place! 60 degrees on Christmas Day???? If I wanted that I would have stayed in California!!Sheesh....

mhatchett
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
RK,
Just picked up a really nice copy of Blood Kin. Added it to my list of endeavors. I'm being lazy here, is Blood Kin out in Hardback? Have a great New Year and lots of luck with your upcoming projects.
MDH

Ronald Kelly
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
RK,
Just picked up a really nice copy of Blood Kin. Added it to my list of endeavors. I'm being lazy here, is Blood Kin out in Hardback? Have a great New Year and lots of luck with your upcoming projects.
MDH

BLOOD KIN will be Book #8 (the last volume) in the Essential Ronald Kelly Collection from Thunderstorm Books. You'll probably see it in print in late 2013, if all goes well.

I hope you have a great new year, too, MDH. :)

mhatchett
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
And I picked up a copy of Hell Hollow yesterday. Looking forward to it. I'll bounce over to Thunderstorm see whats, what.
Take care
MDH

srboone
05-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Ron,

Your adoring fans are jammin' up you mailbox again!

srboone
06-05-2012, 12:46 AM
It's been a while Ron and I know you're dealing with heavy family issues at this time, but just a note to ask you how everything is going; you're still in our thoughts and prayers--hope some of that positive energy is making it's way to you in Tennesseee.

bookworm 1
06-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Dito what Squire said. Also you must be getting a bit nervous with your daughters trip in less then a week.Hope all is well as can be.

Ben Staad
06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
+3! Sending you and your family good vibes.