PDA

View Full Version : Collector or Reader?

mhatchett
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
I知 definitely a reader. I have tons of paperback books that I知 perfectly happy with. I have to have a strong connection with a book before I値l lay money out for it and it really has to be great for me to purchase a special edition. So I would class myself as a reader who collects, lightly. And at that, I sometimes lay out money that, at times, makes me cringe.

Ben Staad
08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I’m definitely a reader. I have tons of paperback books that I’m perfectly happy with. I have to have a strong connection with a book before I’ll lay money out for it and it really has to be great for me to purchase a special edition. So I would class myself as a reader who collects, lightly. And at that, I sometimes lay out money that, at times, makes me cringe.

I'm a reader and a collector because I read all the books I collect. I think hard core collectors would certainly have issue with me handling the signed books however, at least in my opinion, books are meant to be read.

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Reader first. Collector a close second. The weird thing about the term collector is that if you buy small press books, people seem to automatically label you as collector, even though most of my small press purchases are not "because" it is a limited edition, but rather because it is the ONLY edition. SubPress' Brian Lumley collections, Peter Beagle Best of, various other author big story collections......same with CD's Secretary of Dreams....author story collections....Legacies!!! The small press editions are the only editions. Of course, I am not complaining as I do so LOVE thos editions!!! LOL!!

frik51
08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Definitely both!
Oh, and I agree: handle those limited editions; that's what they're for. Not to be left in some box, hoping for an increase in value.
Yuck!

sk

cdfan
08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I will say reader first because story always comes first. There is no point in spending extra money for a limited book with bells and whistles if the story doesn't grab you. I also have no problem with buying used paperbacks over limiteds if that is what my budget allows. Either way I will get a great story (which is why I'd be buying the book in the first place).

That said limited editions can be great, I bought the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars from CD over the bookstore trade because I knew it'd be a better book, I was going to buy it anyway, and I liked the illustrations.

I also like what Brad says regarding small press limited editions. They are the publishers putting out the stories I want to read. CD is the publisher putting out SOD, the shivers series, October Dreams, etc.

JDar.
08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Reader first. Collector a close second. The weird thing about the term collector is that if you buy small press books, people seem to automatically label you as collector, even though most of my small press purchases are not "because" it is a limited edition, but rather because it is the ONLY edition. . . .

Exactly . . . and I've gathered some very collectable books (such as Richard Laymon's A WRITER'S TALE and Wrath James White & Monica J O'Rourke's POISONING EROS) because I really, really, really wanted to read them.

I do want to add that I love the experience of reading a well designed book - especially with interior art - but I have no desire to collect/keep the book unless it's one I plan to re-read. Most get sold on eBay to gather money for the next book . . . :cool:

Jan

srboone
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm a reader first. I hate the idea of selling anything I actually lay out money for. I'm building a library that will eventually be passed down. However, I liek to read everything I buy. I'll never be able to do that completely, But I try. I know that it'll be 10 years before i get around to some of the stuff I've got.

Like JDar, I like reading well-designed books. Not that I don't like an old, dog-earred paperback every now and then (I've got loads opf those).

jhanic
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Both. As many of you may know, I specialize in Stephen King proofs. As the new ones come out, I read them--carefully--but I do read them. Similarly, when the Philtrum edition of Eyes of the Dragon came out, I also read that, because, at that time, there was no indication that a trade edition would ever be published. (I also read Six Stories and The New Lieutenant's Rap when I got them.) If it's a choice between reading the trade and reading the limited, I'll always read the trade--the story's the same, isn't it? But I do page through the limited if it's illustrated to see the illustrations.

John

peteOcha
08-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Both. Paperbacks, Hardcovers, Limiteds... And of course I read them all because that's what books are for and they deserve to be read. Someone spent a lot of time putting that limited together and it would be just a shame to have it sit on the shelf, never even looked through...

And once I buy it, it stays with me. Can't seem to part with my books now, after having to part with almost all of them once...

Tito_Villa
08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
I think as with above i would be described as a reader with being a collector coming a close second. I'm in the games for the words and the stories and love some of my paperbacks just as much as my limiteds and 1st editions, but i have only read one or two of my limiteds and they were great experiences. I just can't make myself read the others because they will undoubtly go down in value. I'm not in the game to make money but on most just the same i wouldn't like to lose any.

Dave1442397
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm a reader first, collector second.

I started collecting books as a kid, simply because the books I liked to read (mostly SF and horror) were so hard to find in Ireland that once I got them I never let them go. I brought most of my collection to the US in the early '90s, back when airlines would let you get away with extra luggage (I got away with five boxes of books that weighed over 80lbs each on one flight).

kresby
08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm avidly both but since I have not read all the books I've acquired, does that make me more of a collector?

Antmusic
08-31-2011, 08:05 PM
I am slowly becoming a collector. I WANT to read all I have, but I am starting to fall behind thanks to my Kindle. I got a deluge of eBooks within the first few weeks of getting my Kindle and it has slowed my reading of my physical books (I still have about 4 on my nightstand right now that I am reading though... along with my Kindle).

Of course, I've always found it hard to get rid of my books after I've read them... so, I may have always been a collector!

mhatchett
08-31-2011, 09:42 PM
In the name of space, sanity and 鉄he Who Must Be Obeyed I weed semi regularly, Spring and Fall. I also use the proceeds to finance new purchases as may interests change. That way my collection is sort self sustaining. I only keep what I Love. I try to be very selective. I don稚 want to turn into some crazed book hoarder.

敵lancing into the mirror the horrifying reality dawned on him.It was too late.
Sorry, that was bad. HAHAHA!!!

jhanic
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
On behalf of all us crazed book hoarders, I resemble that remark!

John

Tito_Villa
09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
With collecting, over the past few months i have really scaled down. I supose that is what getting your own place will do to you!

Dave1442397
09-01-2011, 02:45 PM
What defines a hoarder? I must have at least 6,000 books in the house by now, and I don't buy anywhere near what I used to. I think I just need a bigger house :)

bsaenz24
09-01-2011, 02:59 PM
What defines a hoarder? I must have at least 6,000 books in the house by now, and I don't buy anywhere near what I used to. I think I just need a bigger house :)

You're right on the money. A hoarder is just a collector who needs more space.

Tito_Villa
09-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Christ 6,000 books? Really?

Dan Hocker
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Holy crapy! I'm not entirely shure we have many more than that in the warehouse right now.

bsaenz24
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Holy crapy! I'm not entirely shure we have many more than that in the warehouse right now.

That's because you guys foolishly send your lovely books away!!! LOL!!

Dave1442397
09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Christ 6,000 books? Really?

I'd say that's a low estimate, really. I brought over 2,000 with me from Ireland in the early '90s, and when I first came to the US I went nuts buying books. I used to hit the bookstore every Tuesday at lunchtime (the new books came in on Tuesday) and I would easily buy 10+ books a week. I've slowed down a lot now, mainly because our local library is so good, but I still bought at least 30 books in the past month.

I'd love to catalog all the books and see what I have. I bought a barcode scanner and software years ago that was supposed to help with that, but I found that it wouldn't scan any of the older books from the UK, and even the newer books were a problem because you had to pick the right edition from a list pulled back from the Internet.

Tito_Villa
09-02-2011, 01:01 PM
If i had that many books my girlfriend would make my life a misery!

Ben Staad
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
If i had that many books my girlfriend would make my like a misery!

I just did a quick estimate of what I have and it's around 300! I'm out of room with this number so congrats to Dave for literally having a library in his house.

mhatchett
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Try Librarything. I have most of my collection on there. It's pretty good.
Mike

peteOcha
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Mike

Sounds interesting and useful. I'll have to check it out.

And 6000 books! I'd like to reach that number some day...

Antmusic
09-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Librarything helps me keep mine straight!

mhatchett
09-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Hey,
We can Friend up on librarything if Y'all want.
http://www.librarything.com/profile/mhatchett

Grant Wootton
09-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Hi Mike - Appreciate your sharing the librarything link, I've been procrastinating and generally dithering about cataloguing my modest collection for some time now, and you've provided a bottler of an answer - sweeeet :)

goathunter
09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I spent Saturday culling books from my collection. Just too many for the space I have. And I still have books sitting on the floor waiting for some place to go.....

Hunter

Dave1442397
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Mike

Funny, I typed in librarything.com, and I already signed up there back in 2006, I think it was. It's the same user name as here. My problem is that there's just too much data...I don't have time to sit down and type in all those book. I see I entered a few, and then gave up. I need to hire someone to sit there and do it for me :)

srboone
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
I have Excel spreadsheets on all my DvDs, BD, laserdiscs, and books (except the paper backs, which I need to get around to doing--all those harlequin romaces and Victoria Cartland books that my sister, mother and grandmother donated to my collection are pretty scary, tho.) I registered with LT, but I doubt I'll use it. I'm a pretty private person; I don't like the idea of just anybody having access to my lists.

mhatchett
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Type in the isbn and it'll pull up the information. pretty easy. You don't have to type all the info.

mhatchett
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
You can make it private if You like.

bsaenz24
09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
...all those harlequin romaces and Victoria Cartland books that my sister, mother and grandmother donated

Oh thosee...no, I did't buy those...they were gifts.....sure...... ;)

peteOcha
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh thosee...no, I did't buy those...they were gifts.....sure...... ;)

Hahaha :D

But I'm pretty sure I remember Squire saying that besides those, his grandmother left him decent books as well, right? ;)

srboone
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
She left me whole shelves of old mystery dime novels and and old SF paperpacks by vance, sturgeon, heinlein, siverberg, etc. Then there's the mystery BCEs; but those Harelquins...<shudder>

srboone
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
You can make it private if You like.

I know, but just the idea that it's out there in cyberspace...

peteOcha
09-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I know, but just the idea that it's out there in cyberspace...

Yeah, scary! :eek:

thelion
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I am definitely a reader first, but thanks to CD, I'm now a bit of an amateur collector as well..and much lighter in the wallet because of it. :p

I will read all of my books though, time permitting. I don't think they are meant to just sit there and collect dust, no matter how great they look...

PaulB
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Without a doubt, reader. Since discovering CD though I have found some great editions of books to read which are also forming a very nice collection. I love having a great story, well presented with good artwork etc. I think it is really cool to have a book signed by the authour (and artist) who have obviously worked hard on getting the story out there.

RJK1981
09-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Definitely a reader and a collector like others here. Was only a reader before discovering CD, but have accumulated a decent collection since that time. That collection will be over 100 signed or limited books in some way once I receive everything I have pre-ordered right now. I don't know what I've spent on my collection and don't think I want to know. While I love collecting the books, I intend on reading most of them when I have time. Will be rereading It when the anniversary edition arrives, and I intend on doing the same with Lonely Road edition of Clegg's Vampricon trilogy

divemaster
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I have 2 book collections, both of which developed from my love of reading.

1) Stephen King. I have all the trade first and many signed / limited and specialty editions. I have read ALL of them. This is truly a labor of love, as I love the thrill of collecting these editions as well as the pleasure of reading such great books.

2) Arkham House publishing. I have many of these, including most of the "holy grails." However, I have only read a few of them. So this is more of "collecting" than reading, although I do pull one off the shelf from time to time to give it a go, and my bucket list I guess includes the intention of eventually reading all of them.

frik51
09-22-2011, 03:38 PM
I just wish I had started an Arkham collection.
Unfortunately, I never got around to this - except for the three Lovecraft collections.

Not first printings, unfortunately.

sk

Ben Staad
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
I just wish I had started an Arkham collection.
Unfortunately, I never got around to this - except for the three Lovecraft collections.

Not first printings, unfortunately.

sk

I agree. The Arkham House stuff really just has a great "feel" to them. I think it's the cover art which really draws me into that classic horror feeling.

srboone
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Still a reader first. Otherwise I would have jumped on the Dracula bandwagon, regardless of how many copies of it I have. After all, I don't have THAT one!

jhanic
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
At one time I had an almost complete Arkham House collection, missing only a few VERY high-priced items. I got bored with it and sold it for a very good price. I kind of regret it now, but the five-figure amount I got was appreciated at the time.

John

BookCollecting101
02-22-2012, 01:26 AM
I enjoy this thread. I have always thought I was a rare breed of collector who actually reads their books and intends to read all of them. I have always thought the perfect retirement would be with a library of well loved books waiting to be re-read and books waiting to be read for the first time. As retirement is rapidly approaching - as hard as that is to say... I really started building my collection about 4 or 5 years ago. I love fine bound books and signed first editions many of which I bought on Ebay. I bought a signed copy of Breakfast of Champions and received an email from the Justice Department that it was a fake. I really hate that. The Justice Department continued to email me about the case against the seller. He eventually got three years in jail. I ramble... Anyhow - it is good to see all of you reader/collectors actually read their books. I am very careful and it is very hard to tell I have even read them - but read them I do. The purpose of my library is for my enjoyment. Some of my books have increased in value, sure. That is not why I buy them, however. I can't even say they are to bequeath to someone as I have no children and only one niece who would not be caught dead reading "my sort of book". They are for my pleasure... and a pleasure it is.

Teriw
02-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Collector of Stephen King, I have only read a few of the actual books and stick to my ereader for the rest because its much easier on my neck

Dave1442397
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I only buy what I'll read, so I've never been one to build up a collection based on publisher rather than author.

It's a lot easier to hang on to e-books, though. I was copying my e-book folder to a new PC yesterday and noticed I have over 6.35Gb of e-books, and much of that is still compressed in rar format. I'm sure that would be a house full of books in paperback form :)

Grant Wootton
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Yep, can't get by without my Kindle nowadays - never thought I'd be converted, but yep, it happens to the best of us :) Still though, there's nothing like the tactile sensation of a real book ........ collector/reader tis I :o

bookworm 1
02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Reader Reader Reader.I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.

Martin
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
I am reading more and more books via my phone (Kindle App) and my PC (Kindle App) but I still love the feel of a hardbound book. I also like larger paperbacks, ARCs are a good example. For whatever reason I am not comfortable reading small paperback books. I always feel like I am bending the pages to far. You don't need to tell me I'm weird I already know.

Hedda Gabler
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Absolutely reader -- the collecting just happens, it grows out of the fact that I love to own books. My books range from beat-to-hell to personally autographed beautiful books that I still touch and read.

divemaster
02-24-2012, 02:33 AM
I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.

I agree. I don't see myself ever reading a book on a computer or a phone or whatever. There's just something about a real honest-to-life book that speaks to me.

Dan Hocker
02-24-2012, 05:40 AM
I love this discussion, and it should probably have it's own thread, but that would require a lot of work to sort it out of this one. For me, I do love a good book, but truthfully these days I've negated my books to looking pretty on the shelf. When I read them I read my digital copies. I've even gotten to the point where if I'm re-reading something I already own, I've been buying digital versions of them. This way I have the books with me all the time, it helps that I'm a child of technology as well. Pretty much the only thing I still read in print on a regular baisis are my Hellboy comics, and that's only because I don't want to wait for the delayed digital release of them.

srboone
02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I guess I'm too old-fashioned. I buy books that I want or might want to read one day. I like the feel, the smell, the sight and even the sound a real book makes while being read. I do have a few books on a Kindle app for my PC, but I can't get motivated to read them--if I could fiure out a way to print them from the Kindle app, I'd give them a shot, but until then, they'll probably just remain there.

Tito_Villa
02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Never read an e-book and never will, you can't get much better than finding a comfy spot to sit and read a nice page turner.

Teriw
02-25-2012, 01:17 AM
I thought some of you may agree with this photo I just came across, though of yas right away....

Joe315
02-25-2012, 02:45 AM
I am a reader/collector. I usually will only buy a book that I know I will read. If I really liked a book I'll try to find a signed copy or limited edition of the book if it is available. I read mostly on my iPad because I don't want to ruin a book with my grubby fingers.

Menace
03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I am a reader/collector. I will read my limited editions unless of course I have a trade hardcover and or paperback version of the book. Now some books I've read and really liked so then I searched ebay and bought a limited edition. Now I would never read a lettered edition I would be too damn worried about spilling something on it. But since I only have 1 lettered edition book I do not have much to worry about there. Although I did pick up a deluxe CD version of false memory for 20 dollars no slipcase and sigiture page was missing and printed on the the first page was not for resale.. lol it is still a fantastic looking book.

bookworm 1
03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
How true.Last year my wife redid my Grandfathers old recliner rocker for me for a fathers day gift.I can not imagine sitting there reading from a computer with afire going in the fire place.Just does not seem right.
Never read an e-book and never will, you can't get much better than finding a comfy spot to sit and read a nice page turner.

Tasmaniac
03-02-2012, 04:16 AM
I'm not opposed to technology, it's just I love the physical book. The texture of the paper, material of the cover, the binding, the smell of it all - whether it be a freshly printed tomb or an old, musky example found in a second-hand bookstore (which can be fun - cursing the previous owner for constantly cornering the pages, writing their names on the inside front cover - what's all that about? - or in extreme circumstances, underlining certain passages!).

RJK1981
03-02-2012, 04:31 AM
(which can be fun - cursing the previous owner for constantly cornering the pages, writing their names on the inside front cover - what's all that about? - or in extreme circumstances, underlining certain passages!).

What I find more annoying is finding books at used stores that have been written in with pencil by book sellers or appraisers or whoever the heck it is who does that crap.

Martin
03-02-2012, 04:52 AM
I agree with that. I love finding used book stores that print their pricing information on a card and place it in the front of the book. I hate prices written in the book in pencil.
What I find more annoying is finding books at used stores that have been written in with pencil by book sellers or appraisers or whoever the heck it is who does that crap.

Joe315
03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
At least pencil comes off. I've seen prices in pen before, granted I can't complain too much when the book only costs a couple of bucks.

mhatchett
03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Picky, picky, picky.HAHAHAHA!!

Harrison Ryan
03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm a reader foremost, but I do have a very modest Stephen King collection. Nothing signed, nothing limited, just first editions of everything from the 80s on, and a lot of paperbacks. I dig collecting the paperbacks because they're fun and affordable.

bookworm 1
03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
The thing that gets me is they change the cover every few years.I think they do it for us book collecting nuts.

jhanic
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I thought about trying to get every cover of every King book, but decided (wisely, I think) that would be a virtual impossibility, especially due to space concerns. I know there are people out there that like to do this, but...

John

bookworm 1
03-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Probably Grant has them all.Grant has everything.

Grant Wootton
03-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Nah, not me, BW - Siep is (I believe) the title holder in this respect - his collection of foreign language SK's is a thing of beauty (I've restricted myself to four veins of SK collectible books - only one of which I've actually posted on the collection thread thus far). However, if you want to see some awesome SK cover work, jump on to Siep's thread :cool:

bookworm 1
03-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I have seen it.They are great. Wish we could talk him into continuing his thread.Even if he only posted items once a month it would be awsome.:D

Grant Wootton
03-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Wholly concur :)

th3l0rd
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I read a lot and collect King's books. For some books I'd liked particularry I also try to get a signed copy :) I read the trade edition when available otherwise the gif/limited/signed/whatever edition

peteOcha
04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Nah, not me, BW - Siep is (I believe) the title holder in this respect - his collection of foreign language SK's is a thing of beauty (I've restricted myself to four veins of SK collectible books - only one of which I've actually posted on the collection thread thus far). However, if you want to see some awesome SK cover work, jump on to Siep's thread :cool:

Let's see the other veins then! During my time off i'll be able to finally catch up with viewing your collection thread.:)

And yes, lets convince Siep to post more stuff!

frik51
04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
And yes, lets convince Siep to post more stuff!

Nah - Can't tell you how relaxing it is to just drop by occasionally, without the pressure (that's what it felt like to me) of posting old and/or recently acquired collectibles.

sk

Grant Wootton
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Wholly understand Siep, so long as you continue to visit the forum it'll still be a good thing :cool:

And, yep, Pete, more veins to be opened once I've dispensed with Mr Koontz ;)

peteOcha
04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Awesome Grant!

And Siep, no pressure.:) Just stop by and visit from time to time.:)

frik51
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh, I'm here every day.
I just don't post as much any longer.
I'm happy to be lurking in the background...

sk

Teriw
04-04-2012, 06:58 PM
He's hiding from my hate.

srboone
04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
You've looked through his collection, I assume. Lot's for you to hate on in there!

Teriw
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I only looked through some of it. enough to know he has everything.

peteOcha
04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Siep has a great collection.

Oh, Teri, did you like Lord of the Rings? Well if you did, you can hate Siep even more because he was in the credits. :)

Teriw
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I hated the lord of the rings. SO BORING. I dont hate alot of movies usually I just say meh because they entertained me but I wouldn't say it was good but this is one of the ones I actually hate. I didn't watch the rest of them.

Tommy
02-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I thought about trying to get every cover of every King book, but decided (wisely, I think) that would be a virtual impossibility, especially due to space concerns. I know there are people out there that like to do this, but...

John

I realize this reply is a bit late but I thought you might like to see a display case from the Mad Monster Party in Charlotte NC from last year, there was a replica Christine car out front and in the lobby was all the promotional materials for the movie and also a case containing all the editions of Christine, my friend took one pic and I found the other on the internet, though neither pic got all the copies in the frame, gives you an idea of what a "complete" king collection would have to look like

srboone
02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Ay-yi-yi!

peteOcha
02-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Sweet!!

Tommy
02-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Ay-yi-yi!

And now they will have to add the Anniversary edition to the pile

jhanic
02-10-2013, 06:12 PM
WOW!!

John

Dave1442397
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, being a King completist would require a large sum of money, and probably a helluva network too.

srboone
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I can see doing something kooky like that for one book, maybe. But not every permutaiton of King's books.

Tommy
02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I can see doing something kooky like that for one book, maybe. But not every permutaiton of King's books.

It might be doable for one book but if you had to deal with getting the ARC for all of those too, sheesh!

Theli
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm definitely more of reader. Most of my collection is paperbacks followed by a good portion of hardcovers, but I only really started to collect signed and limited editions in the last year or so. Normally I won't read a limited number/lettered edition, but will buy a paperback copy to read. I got a couple of signed Jack Ketchum paperbacks today, and I'll be reading them.

Marloo
04-17-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm very much both. I didn't know about Cemetery Dance until word got out of their special 25th anniversary edition of It, and even then I didn't pay serious attention until late last year, so most of my collected books are from other publishers, and from genres other than horror (I even have quite a few non fiction). If it's a book I'm especially interested in and if I can get it signed or there's a version of it made for collectors, I'd like to have the signed or collector's version to collect and another maybe / maybe not collector's edition to read. As it is I have very few collector's editions of books and/or signed books at the moment, at least compared to others here, though now that I've discovered Cemetery Dance, that number will go up a little as 2013 goes by and some of the books I have pre-ordered get finished.

A number of the books I have pre-ordered with Cemetery Dance seem impressive to me but haven't sold out yet. Makes me wonder if my tastes are the same as others here. :o When I was earning my masters degree in Library and Information Studies, I had to draw up what I considered a comprehensive collection of books of a subject of my choice for a class I took on collection development. I chose zombies and their use in philosophy and in social commentary. You might see some zombie-related books when enough of my pre-orders come in for me to feel comfortable adding my collection to the others posted in this forum.

goathunter
04-18-2013, 01:55 AM
I have something like 25 different editions of Robert McCammon's Boy's Life, which is almost every edition ever released. My family thinks I'm nuts. :-)

Hunter

Martin
04-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Marloo, I think you will find a pretty broad range in taste in books around these parts. I look forward to one day seeing your collection thread.
I'm very much both. I didn't know about Cemetery Dance until word got out of their special 25th anniversary edition of It, and even then I didn't pay serious attention until late last year, so most of my collected books are from other publishers, and from genres other than horror (I even have quite a few non fiction). If it's a book I'm especially interested in and if I can get it signed or there's a version of it made for collectors, I'd like to have the signed or collector's version to collect and another maybe / maybe not collector's edition to read. As it is I have very few collector's editions of books and/or signed books at the moment, at least compared to others here, though now that I've discovered Cemetery Dance, that number will go up a little as 2013 goes by and some of the books I have pre-ordered get finished.

A number of the books I have pre-ordered with Cemetery Dance seem impressive to me but haven't sold out yet. Makes me wonder if my tastes are the same as others here. :o When I was earning my masters degree in Library and Information Studies, I had to draw up what I considered a comprehensive collection of books of a subject of my choice for a class I took on collection development. I chose zombies and their use in philosophy and in social commentary. You might see some zombie-related books when enough of my pre-orders come in for me to feel comfortable adding my collection to the others posted in this forum.

oceanic remnant
04-18-2013, 07:35 AM
I have always been more of a reader but I would like to become a collector as well. In this day and age of the internet I assume it has become easier to be a collector in any field.

Dave1442397
04-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I have always been more of a reader but I would like to become a collector as well. In this day and age of the internet I assume it has become easier to be a collector in any field.

Easier in that you can more easily track stuff down. Harder because most people now check Alibris/Abebooks/ebay to see what prices are before selling. The last freebie I found was a first edition of The Stand in ok condition. It was on the books-by-the-yard shelves at a funeral home.

Theli
04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I guess it's easier to be a collector, but not cheaper.

Tito_Villa
04-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Definitely not cheaper

TJCams
05-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't have the money available to start a "collection", plus I enjoy reading. I had collected other items in the past. For example, when I was a kid, and up until the early '90s I put together (what is now at least) a very valuable collection of hockey cards, and I also started a small F1 model car collection of my favourite driver - which I may be selling in the very near future. Again though.... if I had more available "free" cash, I would have many different types of collections for sure.

As for books..... I am reader first....by far. I do have some signed stuff that I recently got. I want to set it aside, so it doesn't get damaged, worn, etc., but I want to read it. I would never crack the spine on a pb, or dogear the corner as a bookmark. My wife likes doing that, but she doesn't read the same stuff I do for the most part. :)

Dave1442397
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=TJCams;51082F1 model car collection of my favourite driver[/QUOTE] Schumacher?

TJCams
05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Schumacher?

LOL - Wow - nope. You'll understand my reaction to that in a second....... Jacques Villeneuve

Dave1442397
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
LOL - Wow - nope. You'll understand my reaction to that in a second....... Jacques Villeneuve

Lol, I see. I can't wait fir Rush to come out, and Senna was a great documentary. I started watching F1 back in the mid-'70s, and it's still the only race series I watch.

halyndon
05-10-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't have the money available to start a "collection", plus I enjoy reading. I had collected other items in the past. For example, when I was a kid, and up until the early '90s I put together (what is now at least) a very valuable collection of hockey cards, and I also started a small F1 model car collection of my favourite driver - which I may be selling in the very near future. Again though.... if I had more available "free" cash, I would have many different types of collections for sure.

As for books..... I am reader first....by far. I do have some signed stuff that I recently got. I want to set it aside, so it doesn't get damaged, worn, etc., but I want to read it. I would never crack the spine on a pb, or dogear the corner as a bookmark. My wife likes doing that, but she doesn't read the same stuff I do for the most part. :)

Would you consider parting with any of your hockey collection???