PDA

View Full Version : Dracula by King's Way Press!!!

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
The KWP edition of Dracula from KWP has arrived in the warehouse with some stunning artwork from Alex McVey. There are also samples of the leather box that is being created for the limited. There will be another box for the lettered. Check out the pics from their newsletter. I think it looks absolutely beautiful!!!

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=go85qicab&v=001KjEL0EDcPNJ-gt2ahgkroGDfPU0Q-EogD3FaAXt7uSoE6Q0hPje9rf7vv-2NeR64IvDjOD7P62aTdHpE2Qq3SON4TdgbOZ35KDmgWwgx2tb-wn9t2zWaVg%3D%3D

Tito_Villa
08-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I have to admit that the book looks great and the artwork as always superb from McVey, but i just can't justify buying books at the moment :(

frik51
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh wow, another gorgeous book.
Now I have to be strong here.....

sk

Tito_Villa
08-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Haha at the moment i'm doing really well, still tempted all the time by this and that though. Have got to save for UK Fantasy Con and holiday to New England ...

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I've always wanted a keepsake edition of a classic like Dracula since I never seemed to find a nice hardback edition. I think this one fits the bill perfectly.

frik51
08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Have got to save for UK Fantasy Con

Where...when...who's coming....???
Details please, Tom!!

sk

Dan Hocker
08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I think this is one we sold some copies of for KWP, and all I have to say is I hope we get some extras....

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
I think this is one we sold some copies of for KWP, and all I have to say is I hope we get some extras....

I think you might be thinking of Killer's Diary. Dracula is hot off the press.

Dan Hocker
08-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I think you might be thinking of Killer's Diary. Dracula is hot off the press.

I know we sold killer's diary. I think we presold Dracula though. If I remember correctly the Dracula project was originally another publisher's project and we presold for them, then it got passed on to Kings Way. I'm not a 100% sure though as that was before my time, I just remember talking about it when Killer's Diary came in or something like that.

bsaenz24
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh, right. Sorry, my mistake. That's the second one this year!

Tito_Villa
08-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Where...when...who's coming....???
Details please, Tom!!

sk

Check out www.fantasycon2011.org for all the details!

folgersnyourcup
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I had no idea this project was even in the works! I had to snag the limited while available....this is one of my all-time favorites!!

sideous
08-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Great looking set of books. Looking forward to receiving my copy

peteOcha
08-31-2011, 12:11 AM
OMG.....

...Yes!! Paycheck came today! Picked up a copy.... even though I really shouldn't have... :)

I'm weak, cannot fight the addiction! Now I just need to get out of here before I see something from CD that I really want...

sweeper4football
08-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Very very very very very very very very excited by this!

It's been a long wait, had mine paid for years ago but it will be worth it.

frik51
08-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Check out www.fantasycon2011.org for all the details!

Thanks, Tom. Seems I missed to World Horror Con 2010.....
Off topic: I love conventions. Haven't been to many, but my favorites were the Atlanta Fantasy fair (1983), with Forrest J. Ackerman, George R.R.Martin, Theodore Sturgeon, Chuck Jones, and others, and the 1990 World Science Fiction Convention in The Hague...again with F.J.A. (of course), Joe Haldeman, and others.

sk

Antmusic
08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
The art inside this version of Dracula looks GREAT! Scary and fun!

srboone
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
The volume looks great, but I have an illustrated (full-color and b/w) Dracula I' m happy with--I'm also trying not spend money for a while. Some purchases last week tapped me out.

frik51
08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm also trying not spend money for a while. Some purchases last week tapped me out.

Spill the beans, Squire......

sk

peteOcha
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Spill the beans, Squire......

sk

Yeah, come clean and tell us everything! :)

srboone
08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
When they arrive. Patience my friends....:p;)

Crazyhorrornut
09-02-2011, 06:18 AM
This looks like an awesome book! I think I will be picking this one up for myself. I have a few nice editions of Dracula but nothing as awesome as this!

Do you know if this press will be publishing anymore classic horror like this? What else have they published?

Greg

sweeper4football
09-02-2011, 08:01 PM
This looks like an awesome book! I think I will be picking this one up for myself. I have a few nice editions of Dracula but nothing as awesome as this!

Do you know if this press will be publishing anymore classic horror like this? What else have they published?

Greg

It does look like an amazing book! Really can't wait for my copy.

They took over a press called Full Moon Press and they published a book called CARMILLA/THE EVIL GUEST BY J SHERIDAN LE FANU. There was a trade, limited and lettered. I found a copy of the limited on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carmilla-Evil-Guest-Joseph-Sheridan/dp/0981474810
I do have a limited I would sell if you are interested? PM me if you are, the book looks very much like Dracula will look like.

Also I think Kings Way Press will be doing "Frankenstein" (I hope they will) Full Moon Press was going to do that one also, but i'm sure KWP will take it on. All the artwork for Frankenstein was pretty much done...

Crazyhorrornut
09-06-2011, 01:55 AM
It does look like an amazing book! Really can't wait for my copy.

They took over a press called Full Moon Press and they published a book called CARMILLA/THE EVIL GUEST BY J SHERIDAN LE FANU. There was a trade, limited and lettered. I found a copy of the limited on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carmilla-Evil-Guest-Joseph-Sheridan/dp/0981474810
I do have a limited I would sell if you are interested? PM me if you are, the book looks very much like Dracula will look like.

Also I think Kings Way Press will be doing "Frankenstein" (I hope they will) Full Moon Press was going to do that one also, but i'm sure KWP will take it on. All the artwork for Frankenstein was pretty much done...

Oh man! If it is anything like the Carmilla/Evil Guest book, I know it will be awesome! Thanks for the offer on the book, but I found a very reasonably priced copy on B&N.com. The authorized sellers on B&N.com have some awesome books cheap. Have you ever looked their? Often you can get books like these much cheaper than on Amazon.

I just purchased a Limited Dracula!

sweeper4football
09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh man! If it is anything like the Carmilla/Evil Guest book, I know it will be awesome! Thanks for the offer on the book, but I found a very reasonably priced copy on B&N.com. The authorized sellers on B&N.com have some awesome books cheap. Have you ever looked their? Often you can get books like these much cheaper than on Amazon.

I just purchased a Limited Dracula!

Cool! :D

bsaenz24
09-20-2011, 02:40 PM
So, yesterday, I received my trade and limited (leather box shipping later) of Dracula!!!! All I can say is they look even better than the pics!! I think KWP did a fantastic job, especially on the limited!!! Absolutely stunning!!! I am SO looking forward to the lettered. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!

peteOcha
09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
So, yesterday, I received my trade and limited (leather box shipping later) of Dracula!!!! All I can say is they look even better than the pics!! I think KWP did a fantastic job, especially on the limited!!! Absolutely stunning!!! I am SO looking forward to the lettered. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!

PICS!!!!!!

...please :)

bsaenz24
09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
There pics are already in the newsletter....look at the first message in the thread.

sweeper4football
10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Any news on the leather boxes and the traycases? Will they be done by Xmas?

Jason.

bsaenz24
10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
They updated the website on the 17th saying they expect them by the end of October.

sweeper4football
11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Anyone got their copies yet? I can't wait!!!

Jason.

bsaenz24
11-13-2011, 01:57 AM
I got my copy today. It looks FANTASTIC!!! The traycases came out awesome!! It's a great addition to the collection and a beautiful edition of a classic novel. It really IS "the" edition of Dracula to own!! Of course a first edition first printing form way back when would be nice too!!! Bravo to KWP!!!

th3l0rd
12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I got my copy today. It looks FANTASTIC!!! The traycases came out awesome!! It's a great addition to the collection and a beautiful edition of a classic novel. It really IS "the" edition of Dracula to own!! Of course a first edition first printing form way back when would be nice too!!! Bravo to KWP!!!
Hi,
can you post some pics ? I'm very curious :) Also did you get it from CD or from KWP ? because my CD order have not been processed yet :(

Antmusic
12-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I haven't received mine from KWP yet, and I'm blaming the post office holiday mail... for now. ;)

Ron K
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd like to see pics too ...:)

Antmusic
12-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Okay. My "Regal" (limited) copy arrived this afternoon (direct from King's). There was a major mix-up on my address (totally different house number and zip code), but the Post Office found me (YAY POST OFFICE!). I sent King's an update on my address, ha ha.

The case is beautiful on the outside. I love it! On the inside, the case isn't "perfect" but it is very nice, still unique, and protects the book on all sides (not a slip in cover but a fully closing case...like a sturdy and thick department store shirt box).

The book itself is Bazinga-awesome!

For a "limited" ("Regal") edition, I am quite pleased and kinda giddy.

sdkdmd
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Received my Regal edition and i'm very happy with it and the outside of the box. The inside is flimsy and won't hold the weight of the book.

Antmusic
12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Pic-ies!

Grant Wootton
12-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Beautiful, can't wait to get my copy via CD one fine day in 2012 :cool: Thanks for sharing the pix, looks great !!!!!!

Crazyhorrornut
12-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Okay. My "Regal" (limited) copy arrived this afternoon (direct from King's). There was a major mix-up on my address (totally different house number and zip code), but the Post Office found me (YAY POST OFFICE!). I sent King's an update on my address, ha ha.

The case is beautiful on the outside. I love it! On the inside, the case isn't "perfect" but it is very nice, still unique, and protects the book on all sides (not a slip in cover but a fully closing case...like a sturdy and thick department store shirt box).

The book itself is Bazinga-awesome!

For a "limited" ("Regal") edition, I am quite pleased and kinda giddy.

I got my copy today as well. My box wasn't perfect either, but makes an awesome presentation. I am fairly certain that the box is a free addition that was not originally planned for the book or factored into the price as I ordered a copy before the boxes were planned. As a "free" addition to the book, I think it can't be beat.

As for the book......AWESOME! The silver pages, the leather, the weight, the illustrations.....all work together to give a book lover a boner for sure! Nicely done. Now I can't wait for Frankenstein!

Greg

theenormityofitall
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I ordered mine right here at CD so I don't have it yet. But 100 bucks? That's a pretty good price for a book like this, and so few copies. Not a Dracula fan at all, but how can you pass something like this up?? I only wish this was the first limited ever done.

Brian James Freeman
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Our cartons arrived in the warehouse this morning -- looks like a lovely book!

Brian

th3l0rd
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Our cartons arrived in the warehouse this morning -- looks like a lovely book!

Brian
yay ! any chance we get them shipped before IT ?

Dan Hocker
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
yay ! any chance we get them shipped before IT ?

We should have time to get these shipped yet this week, as I think we're almost caught up on our orders that are already printed. On a side note, The Passage art prints will be shipping this week as well. I wanted to ship them last week but they couldn't get the cardboard shipping tubes to us until tomorrow.

ClydeUmney
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
You should check the manifest to make sure there is not a coffin or other large storage container with the books!
Brings new meaning to the word, deluxe oversized traycase!
But great news!

th3l0rd
12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Mine shipped yesterday. Hopefully I should get it by the end of this year

Dan Hocker
12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Most of our copies of Dracula have shipped out. Several arrived with damaged cases, so they are sending us replacement cases for them, and those will ship out as soon as the replacement cases arrive.

Martin
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
How badly damaged? Will they be available at a discount?
Most of our copies of Dracula have shipped out. Several arrived with damaged cases, so they are sending us replacement cases for them, and those will ship out as soon as the replacement cases arrive.

Brian James Freeman
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
How badly damaged? Will they be available at a discount?

Only the cases were damaged, the books are okay (protected by their cases!)... so we're just getting replacement cases and tossing the damaged ones!

Brian

theenormityofitall
12-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Only the cases were damaged, the books are okay (protected by their cases!)... so we're just getting replacement cases and tossing the damaged ones!

Brian

I never received an email about them shipping...I hope mine was one of the damaged ones:D

folgersnyourcup
12-16-2011, 04:06 PM
This book was definitely worth it, and I am looking forward to Frankenstein with Glenn Chadbourne!!

theenormityofitall
12-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Hell I've seen this book for going around $120 on eBay, so it musn't be worth too much. I thought this book sold out in less than a day??

Crazyhorrornut
12-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Hell I've seen this book for going around $120 on eBay, so it musn't be worth too much. I thought this book sold out in less than a day??

In this economy any book that commands the published price or above on eBay is a rare thing. I have seen many newly published titles sell for 60-70% off their cover price. I missed out on this publisher's first book, Killer's Diary but I bought a reasonably priced copy on eBay early on, for about $80 (retail $75). Now if you search for a copy, the only one you will find is on ABE Books for $266.

Give it time. I think this is a title that will see an increase in price as well. Call me crazy but I think the publisher could have charged a lot more for this book.

Greg:D

Dan Hocker
12-17-2011, 09:53 PM
They certainly could have. It is a beautiful edition. I wish we had managed to snag some extras.

RJK1981
12-17-2011, 10:40 PM
In this economy any book that commands the published price or above on eBay is a rare thing. I have seen many newly published titles sell for 60-70% off their cover price.

I've seen the same thing, and have taken advantage of those deals many times over the last year or so. I still prefer to buy from the publisher though as that means my goes directly to them and some of those discounted titles are sold by those with lifetime memberships. Nothing wrong with them doing that, don't get me wrong, I just prefer my money going to the company. If titles are sold out or too pricey me for at cover price I won't hesitate though

srboone
12-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I agree, but I only buy Subterranean Press books on the secondary market as I do not want any more of my money going to that press. And I laughed my ass off when SP got it's ass handed to them when they found out that Hamlet's Father by Orson Scott Card was not the signed/limited that they had hoped for (it had been published previously under a different title). But I prefer to buy from the publisher when possible.

Grant Wootton
12-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Hi Dan - Hate to be a pain, but do you have any spares to replace the damaged Regal Edition cases - mine arrived Friday, and, simply put, the construction of the tray case bottom was obviously not up to the journey to Australia :(

In all other respects, this is a fantastic edition, however, the quality of the case bottom has let it down, just a little.

Brian James Freeman
12-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Dan - Hate to be a pain, but do you have any spares to replace the damaged Regal Edition cases - mine arrived Friday, and, simply put, the construction of the tray case bottom was obviously not up to the journey to Australia :(

In all other respects, this is a fantastic edition, however, the quality of the case bottom has let it down, just a little.

We're working on getting as many replacement cases as we can right now. There are a bunch that either arrived damaged at our warehouse or didn't survive the trip to their final destination. Drop Mindy a line to get on the list so we don't forget you need one. :) Thanks!

Brian

theenormityofitall
12-26-2011, 06:28 PM
In this economy any book that commands the published price or above on eBay is a rare thing. I have seen many newly published titles sell for 60-70% off their cover price. I missed out on this publisher's first book, Killer's Diary but I bought a reasonably priced copy on eBay early on, for about $80 (retail $75). Now if you search for a copy, the only one you will find is on ABE Books for $266.

Give it time. I think this is a title that will see an increase in price as well. Call me crazy but I think the publisher could have charged a lot more for this book.

Greg:D

That's true actually. I thought it might end up like the first The Woman limited by Ketchum, but then realized the book is rare, but not that rare (like The Woman is).
LOL Good ol' ABE. Almost $300, eh? Is that edition signed by the Count himself?

theenormityofitall
12-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I agree, but I only buy Subterranean Press books on the secondary market as I do not want any more of my money going to that press. And I laughed my ass off when SP got it's ass handed to them when they found out that Hamlet's Father by Orson Scott Card was not the signed/limited that they had hoped for (it had been published previously under a different title). But I prefer to buy from the publisher when possible.

Really? I think it's the Bradbury limiteds I have that was published by them? They're not great looking books....some were by Gauntlet I'm sure (which are nice looking), but that Subterranean Press does not produce world class stuff.
But why else don't you like them? The people? Just shoot me a PM if you don't want to say here...I'm just curious...

srboone
12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
i posted elsewhere the reason: I ordered Zodiac fron Subterranean Press. When it arrived, it was packaged in aslipcase that was SOOOOOOOO tight, I considered cutting the slipcase to get it out. But after an hour of on-and-off wiggling, I managed to get it out of the case. The DJ was lightly ruffled on the bottom, but otherwise undamaged; but the idea of getting it back in was absurd.

NOW TO BE FAIR TO SP, I BOUGHT THIS THING AT HALF PRICE OFF OF EBAY.

When I emailed Mr. Schafer about the problem, he emailed me back (promptly) and said that all the books were like that and that after a stern talking to their slipcase maker, he was confident that it would never happen again.

Excuse me??? That's it??? Customer service is my life's blood and the first rule is, you never, ever, make the irate customer suggest his own remedy! You always make the first gesture and offer to fix the problem. I wasn't really that irate to begin with, but when he blew me off, I went apes***! Zodiacwas published in 2008/2009 and while the problem was immediately known, nothing was ever mentioned on it's website about it. When they were offered on Ebay, it wasn't mentioned.

Right now, I only have two SP published books: Zodiac by Neal Stephenson and Kraken by CHina Mieville. Both appear to be solid, if unexciting productions. I've been looking at other SP titles from secondary sources (some that are still available from SP), but have not jumped on any yet.

theenormityofitall
12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
i posted elsewhere the reason: I ordered Zodiac fron Subterranean Press. When it arrived, it was packaged in aslipcase that was SOOOOOOOO tight, I considered cutting the slipcase to get it out. But after an hour of on-and-off wiggling, I managed to get it out of the case. The DJ was lightly ruffled on the bottom, but otherwise undamaged; but the idea of getting it back in was absurd.

NOW TO BE FAIR TO SP, I BOUGHT THIS THING AT HALF PRICE OFF OF EBAY.

When I emailed Mr. Schafer about the problem, he emailed me back (promptly) and said that all the books were like that and that after a stern talking to their slipcase maker, he was confident that it would never happen again.

Excuse me??? That's it??? Customer service is my life's blood and the first rule is, you never, ever, make the irate customer suggest his own remedy! You always make the first gesture and offer to fix the problem. I wasn't really that irate to begin with, but when he blew me off, I went apes***! Zodiacwas published in 2008/2009 and while the problem was immediately known, nothing was ever mentioned on it's website about it. When they were offered on Ebay, it wasn't mentioned.

Right now, I only have two SP published books: Zodiac by Neal Stephenson and Kraken by CHina Mieville. Both appear to be solid, if unexciting productions. I've been looking at other SP titles from secondary sources (some that are still available from SP), but have not jumped on any yet.
Yep. When I read this post, the part where you said how tight it was in the slipcase, it reminded me of a couple Bradbury limiteds of mine. And I just looked at one: Farewell Summer and it's hard as hell to remove from the slipcase, but not nearly as bad as you describe with Zodiac. It's also completely free of words on the flaps of the DJ which I've never seen before and don't like. It's not impressive to me at all, but there are only 250 copies of it so I guess it's worth around $250-300 at the present time.

Oh damn I couldn't agree with you more about customer service. When I buy something and I need to email them about it for whatever reason and they are either rude to me or totally ignore my emails, I email back saying because you treat your customers like shit, I'm never buying anything from you people again. And then if it's still possible like I did with my Viorre TV, I take it back for something else. And it doesn't matter what the product is. I have a Luminox Swiss watch and twice I emailed them with no reply, so I said I'll never buy another one and I sold it on eBay. LOL you are exactly like me in that respect.

But again with SP, since those Bradbury books are not impressively made, I won't buy from them again. There's really not that many small presses that make nice looking books. The only ones I can think of are Grant, CD (but CD is not so small anymore lol), Bloodletting Press,The Overlook and Gauntlet. And perhaps the best of all but went defunct because of how extravegant (sp?) they made their books: Scream Press. I still have about 8 of their books and they're just awesome looking.

Grant Wootton
12-26-2011, 07:45 PM
We're working on getting as many replacement cases as we can right now. There are a bunch that either arrived damaged at our warehouse or didn't survive the trip to their final destination. Drop Mindy a line to get on the list so we don't forget you need one. :) Thanks!

Brian

Done and done, thanks Brian :cool:

theenormityofitall
12-29-2011, 03:41 AM
I sure hope mine is ok :)

Grant Wootton
12-29-2011, 03:54 AM
I sure hope mine is ok :)

The entire nunnery is rooting for its safe arrival Scott ;)

theenormityofitall
12-29-2011, 04:07 AM
LOL. I hope God hears them!

peteOcha
12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Now I'm worried about mine too. Hope it makes the journey to Europe ok...

ReticentRomeo
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
My copy arrived today...Santa got too sozzled over xmas and brought it a few days late - Very Beautiful copy & very pleased with the quality. Kudos to the CD team otherwise I'd have never have known about this fantastic publication!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/ReticentRomeo/drac1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/ReticentRomeo/drac2.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/ReticentRomeo/drac4.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/ReticentRomeo/drac3.jpg

(The 3rd image shows my original paperback copy against the KWP edition)

th3l0rd
12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
got mine today in excellent shape :)

PaulB
12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
My copy arrived yesterday. It must be the trip to Australia that does it because, like Grant's, my case did not survive unscathed. Book is fine however the bottom of the case has come apart. Will get in line for a replacement if available.

Grant Wootton
12-30-2011, 08:27 AM
My copy arrived yesterday. It must be the trip to Australia that does it because, like Grant's, my case did not survive unscathed. Book is fine however the bottom of the case has come apart. Will get in line for a replacement if available.

Damn !!!! Bad luck Paul, but what can you do ??? It's only the quality of the case bottom that's lacking, otherwise it would have made it in great shape :(

PaulB
12-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Not to worry though. As suggested I have been in touch with Mindy who is able to send a replacement. Excellent news. (As always CD takes excellent care of us readers - many thanks). It is actually the first tray cased book I have bought so it will be nice to have it in top condition.

theenormityofitall
12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm still worried about mine. It hasn't shipped yet, but I don't like how that case looked you posted Grant. That's not CD's fault though; it's the publisher for making it so cheap and shipping it through the mail/UPS doesn't help any.

Grant Wootton
12-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm still worried about mine. It hasn't shipped yet, but I don't like how that case looked you posted Grant. That's not CD's fault though; it's the publisher for making it so cheap and shipping it through the mail/UPS doesn't help any.

Hopefully yours will arrive okay (if nothing else, it has a lot less distance to travel) :D

Dan Hocker
12-31-2011, 05:47 PM

I think we shipped the last of them on Friday. I went home early so I'm not sure though. You may not have gotten a notice yet though, as I don't think they where picked up by the post office.

theenormityofitall
12-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Ok, I didn't get a notice yet so I hope it comes Monday!

Pennywise
12-31-2011, 08:13 PM
I got a shipping notice for this one earlier today.

King's Way Press
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi to all:

I want to thank all who have purchased Dracula or Killer's Diary. I appreciate the warm welcome I have received into the small
press world.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on Dracula.

I will be working hard to constantly improve KWP titles and I have another great book coming just around the corner.

Sincerely,
Zach

King's Way Press
01-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Hi Scott,

You are correct that the damage to the boxes are not CD's fault. You are mistaken about the "publisher making it so cheap" however. KWP does not manufacture the boxes. They were produced by a good company with a good record of making these boxes for mainstream trade edition hardcovers. The problem that was not foreseen with the boxes for KWP stems from two issues.

The first is that, since we use one of the same printers as CD, the smythe sewn binding for our hardcovers along with the high quality papers makes our books significantly heavier than your average hardcover of the same size/page count. The second issue is that given that the page count of Dracula is 600pages, the book weighs a lot more than your average 300-400page book.

These boxes were experimental (and provided at no cost to the consumer) and not part of the original production plan for the book. The overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, so the boxes will be here to stay for all of our future titles. To ensure that we do not face these problems again with the boxes we will be taking the following steps with our next production:
1.) The corners/sides/top & bottom of the inside of the boxes will be reinforced to accommodate the heavier binding/page count. I have already spoken with the manufacturer to address this.
2.) The books will be shipped with the boxes, but not in the boxes to avoid damage during shipping. That is where we see the damage occurring.

These steps should solve the problem of rough postal handling which seems to be the main cause of damage. I will continue to supply CD with any replacement boxes needed, so there should be no fear that anyone will have to settle for a damaged box.

Thanks again to all for your support.
Sincerely,
Zach

Grant Wootton
01-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi Zach - As one of the elite that received a banged up case, I appreciate both your explanation, and your willingness to make good for those that suffered a similar fate (I have only two of your books, and they're fine examples of the publishers art, and I can tell you I'll be back for more :D).

PaulB
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Many thanks Zach
Appreciate your response and also how you are going to address the issue. Well done. Like Mr Wootton above I'll be back.
Paul

Grant Wootton
01-05-2012, 04:28 AM
My replacement case is now intransit from the lovely folk at CD :cool:

theenormityofitall
01-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi Scott,

You are correct that the damage to the boxes are not CD's fault. You are mistaken about the "publisher making it so cheap" however. KWP does not manufacture the boxes. They were produced by a good company with a good record of making these boxes for mainstream trade edition hardcovers. The problem that was not foreseen with the boxes for KWP stems from two issues.

The first is that, since we use one of the same printers as CD, the smythe sewn binding for our hardcovers along with the high quality papers makes our books significantly heavier than your average hardcover of the same size/page count. The second issue is that given that the page count of Dracula is 600pages, the book weighs a lot more than your average 300-400page book.

These boxes were experimental (and provided at no cost to the consumer) and not part of the original production plan for the book. The overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, so the boxes will be here to stay for all of our future titles. To ensure that we do not face these problems again with the boxes we will be taking the following steps with our next production:
1.) The corners/sides/top & bottom of the inside of the boxes will be reinforced to accommodate the heavier binding/page count. I have already spoken with the manufacturer to address this.
2.) The books will be shipped with the boxes, but not in the boxes to avoid damage during shipping. That is where we see the damage occurring.

These steps should solve the problem of rough postal handling which seems to be the main cause of damage. I will continue to supply CD with any replacement boxes needed, so there should be no fear that anyone will have to settle for a damaged box.

Thanks again to all for your support.
Sincerely,
Zach

Yeah,
That's not what I meant. I meant the people you pay to make the book. They're the ones responsible.

I've lost all track of time.....were the damaged ones that you received new ones of shipped out yet? I never received a notice from CD...and I'm referring this to Dan or Brian.
It's supposed to be Monday, right? This Monday or last Monday?
Thanks.

Brian James Freeman
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Every publishing company has growing pains and experiences trial & error -- even ones that have been around for years! -- so I think KWP is off to a terrific start and their fine books will only get better and better!

Brian

theenormityofitall
01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Every publishing company has growing pains and experiences trial & error -- even ones that have been around for years! -- so I think KWP is off to a terrific start and their fine books will only get better and better!

Brian

Yeah, that's right. Hey Zach, We've emailed about some books, etc and I didn't mean anything negative. You're a nice guy and I know that. I know it sounded that way (well, it really did actually lol), but I guess it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. I was just surprised when Grant (AKA "Mr. Woot" :)) posted the pic of traycase here. It's nobody's fault; as they say, shit happens.

But Brian, does the Dracula book ship this Monday?

theenormityofitall
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I think we shipped the last of them on Friday. I went home early so I'm not sure though. You may not have gotten a notice yet though, as I don't think they where picked up by the post office.
Hey Dan, I never received any notice at all.
Just thought I should mention that.

Dan Hocker
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Dan, I never received any notice at all.
Just thought I should mention that.

I dunno what's taken your order so long to print. It's only just now printed in the latest batch of orders. So it'll ship either today or tomorrow. Sorry about the delay.

theenormityofitall
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Mindy emailed me today and said it's coming, so it's ok.

T-Dogz_AK47
09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
As Dracula is one of my favourite novels of all time, I am thinking of getting hold of a PC copy of the Royal Lettered Edition from Kings Way Press.

Does anyone out there own a copy of the Lettered Edition and if so, is it any good?

I am just a bit worried after reading some of the earlier comments about the flimsy box that the Regal Limited Edition came with. :eek:

Any comments about this would be greatly appreciated. :)

bsaenz24
09-12-2013, 08:12 PM
The lettered edition came in a wooden book with a Dracula image right in the wood. I think it's outstanding. It's very different from the limited.

jigertz
09-13-2013, 05:04 AM
I have a royal lettered Frankenstein, and while the box wasn't incredibly durable, it's still nice. Mine came damaged and I got a replacement right away. The book is very nice.

bsaenz24
09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Frankenstein is a beautiful book. I picked up a few original Glenn drawings from it

T-Dogz_AK47
09-14-2013, 05:36 PM
The lettered edition came in a wooden book with a Dracula image right in the wood. I think it's outstanding. It's very different from the limited.

Thanks for the feedback Brad! I decided to purchase the Lettered Edition direct from Kings Way Press. :)

I am so looking forward to receiving this awesome book. :cool: