PDA

View Full Version : After the Burn

HorrorScribe
08-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Even though I was in the middle of another book, I just had to put it aside and begin Kelly's After the Burn after reading through this section of the Forum yesterday. I read the Intro and the first two stories. My initial reaction: Wow!!! This is my first time reading anything by Kelly, and I am amazed and impressed. He is definitely an author I intend to follow for the foreseeable future. Luckily, I have a copy of Hell Hollow on my shelf and a copy of Midnight Grinding on order.

His characters are alive, and though I've never visited the locales discussed in the stories, I felt as if I'd lived there my entire life. The subject matter (post-apocalypse) has fascinated me since I first read King's The Stand. (Dare I say it? Yes, I will.) So far, After the Burn has exceeded my expectations, and as long as the other six tales are as strong as the first two, I will enjoy this collection much more than I did The Stand.

And although I'm sure that the rest of Kelly's published works are of the same quality as After the Burn, any suggestions on what book(s) to track down first?

ChrisWood
08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Thunderstorm Books will be releasing the Ronald Kelly Essential Collection under the Supercell imprint > http://thunderstormbooks.com/books.html

They will be done like the Black Voltage line, so if you liked the look and quality of the After the Burn HC, they will be the same. But they will come with added content, like short stories/novellas with links to the main story. Needless to say the Supercell series will be must haves!

bsaenz24
08-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Depending on what you want to spend.....Thunderstorm Books is releasing his 8 novels that originally came out in massmarket from Zebra. The first two out eill be Undertaker's Moon and Fear. I believe they are slated for late Sept. or early Oct. Both GREAT novels!!!

HorrorScribe
08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'd love to add Undertaker's Moon to my growing Ronald Kelly limited edition collection. Otherwise, I may see about finding the others online in used mass market paperback format. Now that I think of it, I found a copy of Something Out There a while back. So that's one more of his novels on my "To Read Soon" list.

srboone
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm slowly aqcuiring his Zebra paperbacks (I've got Moon of the Werewolf and The Possession--there are 9 and they will be reprinted in the Thunderstorm "Essentials" Collection). He also has The Sick Stuff, another short story anthology from Thunderstorm.)

gsconquest
08-24-2011, 11:58 PM
After hearing all of this I will definitely be on the lookout for some of Mr. Kelly's stuff. It seems to all be pretty well received. Any ideas on where to start?

srboone
08-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't know a specific "good place." I started with Midnight Grinding, then Hell Hollow followed by the "Fleshwelder" chapbook. Any title should do.

adamjames
08-25-2011, 12:26 AM
I would say Fear is one of his best, and I have it on good authority that he would say the same (because I've seen him say it.)

He does have a wide selection of titles for your Kindle (and I'm assuming Nook as well), from his 'second' career as an author.

Ronald Kelly
08-25-2011, 01:30 AM
To familiarize yourself with my short fiction, I'd say MIDNIGHT GRINDING, CUMBERLAND FURNACE, and THE SICK STUFF are your best bets. As far as novels are concerned, FEAR is my personal favorite (and the favorite among my fans), followed by UNDERTAKER'S MOON (MOON OF THE WEREWOLF), BLOOD KIN, and my first novel, HINDSIGHT. HINDSIGHT was based on a triple murder in my family during the Great Depression, as well as my mother's psychic experiences during her childhood in the 1930's (believe me, the things she sensed and predicted would scare the crap out of you!).

Ben Staad
08-25-2011, 01:49 AM
To familiarize yourself with my short fiction, I'd say MIDNIGHT GRINDING, CUMBERLAND FURNACE, and THE SICK STUFF are your best bets. As far as novels are concerned, FEAR is my personal favorite (and the favorite among my fans), followed by UNDERTAKER'S MOON (MOON OF THE WEREWOLF), BLOOD KIN, and my first novel, HINDSIGHT. HINDSIGHT was based on a triple murder in my family during the Great Depression, as well as my mother's psychic experiences during her childhood in the 1930's (believe me, the things she sensed and predicted would scare the crap out of you!).

Very cool and thanks for the "Ronald Kelly" tutorial. To be honest the only book I've read of yours is Hell Hollow. I will check out some of your other stuff especially Fear and Hindsight. Hindsight sounds very interesting and I really like the period it's written in.

Endless Horror Tale
08-25-2011, 01:12 PM
My copy of Midnight Grinding arrived last night. I'll be diving into it pretty soon (not sure I'll have much reading time over the next two or three days), and I plan on picking up After the Burn after I next get paid. I'm keeping an eye on the Thunderstorm website. I really want to check out Undertaker's Moon when it's made available.

HorrorScribe
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I finished reading After the Burn about three hours ago, and I'm still breathless. In this collection of exceptional stories, Ronald Kelly presents a grim and fascinating version of life after nuclear devastation. At times darkly humorous (who wouldn't want a certain aged celebrity by their side while fighting off a vicious herd of mutated cattle?) and at other times heart-breaking (the lengths a father must go to spare his family from further torment), After the Burn encapsulates the best and the worst of humanity. Neither good nor evil necessarily becomes the victor because there are winners and losers all around. Yet the main characters in each tale dig deep into themselves in order to overcome adversity in the radiation-infused aftermath of random nuclear explosions focused on urban centers around the globe.

Without going into great detail so as to avoid spoilers (one of my pet peeves), Kelly reveals our worst fears and darkest desires and greatest hopes throughout these 228 pages of poignant prose. He also examines the inner strength some folks tap into while they struggle to survive against the depravity humans are capable of toward one another. Questions of faith are explored. Once safe-guarded ideals are annihilated. Rules, reason, and relationships are twisted by a world where those concepts now lack any real meaning.

From the opening story of an old man who refuses to back down to the tear-inducing closing passage of the last story, you will be amazed, sickened, terrified, and--ultimately--inspired. I urge you to read After the Burn as an introduction to an amazing author riding high on a new wave of his writing career. Or if this will continue your journey with an established master of the craft, you will not be disappointed by this entertaining and edifying book.

Endless Horror Tale
08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I broke down last night and ordered a copy (rather than waiting until after I got paid like I told myself I was going to! :p ). I'm looking forward to checking it out. I really enjoyed Hell Hollow, and plan on starting Midnight Grinding after I finish reading through the CD Signature Series.

On another, slightly-related note - does anyone know if Thunderstorm has announced a release date for Undertaker's Moon? I'm a sucker for a well-written (and so often that's the rub) werewolf tale, so I'm excited about that one too!

I'm thinking that before long I'm going to have to join the support group thread...

bsaenz24
08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I believe the last date for Undertaker's Moon is late September.

Ben Staad
08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Damn! I wish the reviews for After the Burn weren't so freaking good. I love end of the world stuff but I just can't spend $60 for a book right now. This is really eating at me and I may be forced to use the srboome made sign in the addiction thread...however and probably for the best I don't think anyone will take me up on the "offer".

Antmusic
08-26-2011, 05:47 PM
If you love end-of-the-world stuff, you have to get the hardcover for Ron's picture in the front (and the awesome stories in it)! That survivalist picture alone will have you taking out the book and showing all your friends! Save your pennies. Don't go out to eat for a couple of days or skip some Starbucks for a week. This book is a must-have.

"Flesh Welder” is the only reprint short-story/novelette in the book. The other great stories are all original to this collection, and they are:
“A Shiny Can of Whup-Ass”
“Meat is Life”
“The Happiest Place in Hell”
“Popsicle Man”
“Evolution Ridge”
“Taking Care of Business”
and
“The Paradise Pill”

Antmusic
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh, and Endless Horror Tale... I LOVE the Grandpa's Ghost Stories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0689501129/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=boembo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0689501129) by James Flora picture on your profile! His books are astounding, and that one was a favorite when I was little.

Ben Staad
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
If you love end-of-the-world stuff, you have to get the hardcover for Ron's picture in the front (and the awesome stories in it)! That survivalist picture alone will have you taking out the book and showing all your friends! Save your pennies. Don't go out to eat for a couple of days or skip some Starbucks for a week. This book is a must-have.

"Flesh Welder” is the only reprint short-story/novelette in the book. The other great stories are all original to this collection, and they are:
“Meat is Life”
“Popsicle Man”
“Evolution Ridge”
and
“The Paradise Pill”

You are pure evvvillll!

Antmusic
08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Mmmmwooooo-ha-ha!

Endless Horror Tale
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh, and Endless Horror Tale... I LOVE the Grandpa's Ghost Stories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0689501129/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=boembo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0689501129) by James Flora picture on your profile! His books are astounding, and that one was a favorite when I was little.

All right!! You get +100 Endless Horror Points© for recognizing that! I remembered having that book as a child, and for some reason it popped back into my mind out of nowhere several years ago, but for the longest time I couldn't remember the title. I finally figured it out with some Internet sleuthing, then tracked down a copy of the book so I could share it with my kids. A pretty twisted kids book, for sure. Well done, Antmusic!! :cool:

And for everyone wondering "What the hell are they on about??", do yourself a favor, indulge your inner child, and track down a copy of James Flora's Grandpa's Ghost Stories - it's out of print, but worth tracking down.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...

Ben Staad
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
You guys are sick and twisted! I have an addiction and it seems no one cares! ARghhhhhh.

Ronald Kelly
08-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I finished reading After the Burn about three hours ago, and I'm still breathless. In this collection of exceptional stories, Ronald Kelly presents a grim and fascinating version of life after nuclear devastation. At times darkly humorous (who wouldn't want a certain aged celebrity by their side while fighting off a vicious herd of mutated cattle?) and at other times heart-breaking (the lengths a father must go to spare his family from further torment), After the Burn encapsulates the best and the worst of humanity. Neither good nor evil necessarily becomes the victor because there are winners and losers all around. Yet the main characters in each tale dig deep into themselves in order to overcome adversity in the radiation-infused aftermath of random nuclear explosions focused on urban centers around the globe.

Without going into great detail so as to avoid spoilers (one of my pet peeves), Kelly reveals our worst fears and darkest desires and greatest hopes throughout these 228 pages of poignant prose. He also examines the inner strength some folks tap into while they struggle to survive against the depravity humans are capable of toward one another. Questions of faith are explored. Once safe-guarded ideals are annihilated. Rules, reason, and relationships are twisted by a world where those concepts now lack any real meaning.

From the opening story of an old man who refuses to back down to the tear-inducing closing passage of the last story, you will be amazed, sickened, terrified, and--ultimately--inspired. I urge you to read After the Burn as an introduction to an amazing author riding high on a new wave of his writing career. Or if this will continue your journey with an established master of the craft, you will not be disappointed by this entertaining and edifying book.

Thanks so much, HorrorScribe, for the wonderful review. You reacted to the stories exactly the way I had hoped the average reader of ATB would. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ronald Kelly
08-26-2011, 10:10 PM

“Meat is Life”
“Popsicle Man”
“Evolution Ridge”
and
“The Paradise Pill”

Would you believe that it took me and my oldest daughter, Reilly, nearly two and a half hours in a frigid basement in mid-January to stage that photo for the ATB signature page? That and endure the wrath of an angry wife who was sitting at home with supper cooked and no one to eat it? You know I love you guys to go through all that to give you an interesting picture.

Oh, and there was an alternative photo. Maybe someday it will show up somewhere... :)

Antmusic
08-26-2011, 11:46 PM
All right!! You get +100 Endless Horror Points© for recognizing that! I remembered having that book as a child, and for some reason it popped back into my mind out of nowhere several years ago, but for the longest time I couldn't remember the title. I finally figured it out with some Internet sleuthing, then tracked down a copy of the book so I could share it with my kids. A pretty twisted kids book, for sure. Well done, Antmusic!! :cool:

And for everyone wondering "What the hell are they on about??", do yourself a favor, indulge your inner child, and track down a copy of James Flora's Grandpa's Ghost Stories - it's out of print, but worth tracking down.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...
Yeah, I loved "scary" picture books as a young kid. Gwot: Horribly Funny Hairticklers by Steven Kellogg and George Mendoza; The Crack in the Wall & Other Terribly Weird Tales by Mercer Mayer and George Mendoza; In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz and Dirk Zimmer; That Terrible Halloween Night by James Stevenson...etc...

Antmusic
08-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Oh, and there was an alternative photo. Maybe someday it will show up somewhere... :)

I can't wait to see it... someday!

srboone
08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Would you believe that it took me and my oldest daughter, Reilly, nearly two and a half hours in a frigid basement in mid-January to stage that photo for the ATB signature page? That and endure the wrath of an angry wife who was sitting at home with supper cooked and no one to eat it? You know I love you guys to go through all that to give you an interesting picture.

And we appreciate the time it took to make it come out right, Ron. And thank your wife for all of us too! It turned out great and really adds to the flavor of the entire book.

Ronald Kelly
08-27-2011, 02:58 AM
I can't wait to see it... someday!

Ben Staad
08-27-2011, 03:19 AM
That's great. I haven't seen the other photo but I love the look on your face and the props. The books were a really nice touch and I think thats a 1st edition Swan Song as well. Very cool!

Antmusic
08-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Very different feel than the other one... This one seems more intentionally funny... Or is it NOT meant to look like you are "sitting down?"

Ben Staad
08-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Very different feel than the other one... This one seems more intentionally funny... Or is it NOT meant to look like you are "sitting down?"

LOL! I did not pick up on this the first time I looked at the picture.

Ronald Kelly
08-27-2011, 03:56 AM
LOL! I did not pick up on this the first time I looked at the picture.

Ha! Now that you mention it, it does look like I'm doing a little reading... while taking a post-apocalyptic dump! :D

Ronald Kelly
08-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Oh, and here is the original signature sheet photo for copefiend2!

Antmusic
08-27-2011, 05:55 AM
See the toilet paper... Now that would have been a hilarious box in the other one!

srboone
08-27-2011, 06:32 AM
TP--part of every apocalypse survival kit!

Ben Staad
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Oh, and here is the original signature sheet photo for copefiend2!

That's classic. Thanks for posting this sir!

mhatchett
08-27-2011, 01:13 PM
The man took a copy of Swan Song into his" end of the world as we know it" bunker. That would be worth a fortune once the Zombies and crazies were put down.!HAHAHA!!

HorrorScribe
08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
When I first open ATB to the signature pages, I said to my wife: "That is the most creative and innovative sig page I've ever seen. In fact, that makes the book well worth the price even without having read it yet."

Thank you for sharing the alternate photo as well. The shocked/"Hey get out of here" expression is priceless!

And your welcome for the review. :)

Ben Staad
08-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Allright my kids and me will be eating canned beans all week but I just placed an order for the book...I hope everyone's happy! LOL and J/K

srboone
08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
You know, of course, that if you do it once, you're likely to do it again. Maybe with bread and water instead of canned beans.:eek:

But at least it was for a great book!:rolleyes:

Ben Staad
08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
You know, of course, that if you do it once, you're likely to do it again. Maybe with bread and water instead of canned beans.:eek:

But at least it was for a great book!:rolleyes:

To be honest this gave me my "fix". I feel a lot more relaxed now that I know the book is ordered.

Antmusic
08-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm right with you... I know the feeling. Books and great stories are addicting.

Ben Staad
08-29-2011, 03:33 AM
On a side note...When I ordered After the Burn I had a question for the publisher. I emailed the question and Paul with Thunderstorm promptly replied and then we exchanged multiple emails back and forth. I was really impressed with the quick reply and willingness to spend the time with a customer. I buy a decent amount of books from small press and in many cases the customer service is shitty at best. So kudos to Paul as to me this level of service is one of the biggest measures of a company's level of professionalism.

srboone
08-29-2011, 05:38 AM
I had the same experience with Paul when I ordered ATB. I will be ordering from TSB again as well based on TSB's customer service (unlike another press which I will be passing on even though they have many titles I'd like).

Ronald Kelly
08-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Paul emailed me a little while ago and wanted me to extend his "Thanks!" to all of you for the kind words concerning AFTER THE BURN and his customer service. Take it from me, folks, Paul knows his stuff... he knows how to treat his customers and potential customers like a million bucks. The same goes for the writers and artists he works with. Paul's the kind of publisher than constantly keeps you in the loop and I, for one, appreciate that immensely. It was sort of strange coming back to the horror genre after ten years and being treated with respect (something I never got from Zebra). All my publishers -- Rich Chizmar, Brian Freeman, Paul Goblirch, Roy Robbins, and Dave Wilson at Crossroad digital -- are first-class. They've really made this second writing career an extremely special and enjoyable experience. I really can't thank them enough!

Ben Staad
08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
That's really cool to hear! I'm glad he treats the talent correctly as well. You folks deserve a ton of credit for doing this even through all the adversity in the market place now a days.

Endless Horror Tale
08-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I received my copy of After the Burn yesterday from Thunderstorm Books - it arrived just as I was finishing up the book that had kept me busy the last few days. It's a really great presentation! Now I just have to decide whether to read it or Midnight Grinding first!

srboone
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Tough call! Both are outstanding. MG is a survey of Kelly's fiction; ATB is more focused. If I'd had a decision like that to make, in hindsight, I'd probably read ATB first, only because it's shorter (228 compared to 422 pages.)

mhatchett
09-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Got mine today off of ebay! Looks fantastic. Can't wait to get into it.
Mike

Ronald Kelly
09-03-2011, 03:10 AM
Hope you enjoy it, Mike! :)

Ben Staad
09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
My copy finally arrived in the mail today! Good timing too because I just finished something last night and I was debating what to read next...problem solved.

Dan Hocker
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Just saw a copy of this. It's a great looking book!

Ben Staad
09-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Just saw a copy of this. It's a great looking book!

I wholeheartedly agree. This was my first purchase from this publisher and I was pleasantly surprised by the production of this book. Nice interior, binding, cover, and DJ...excellent!

srboone
09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
It is a beautiful book. I wish the title had been printed on the spine of the cover so it could be itentified on a bookshelf and because of the short endflaps the cover kept falling off when I read it; but I suppose these are minor quibbles. It's an exceptional work, both in the writing and design.

Ben Staad
09-07-2011, 01:58 AM
It is a beautiful book. I wish the title had been printed on the spine of the cover so it could be itentified on a bookshelf and because of the short endflaps the cover kept falling off when I read it; but I suppose these are minor quibbles. It's an exceptional work, both in the writing and design.

I hadn't noticed those issues yet. When I get to reading tonight I will check them out. I do agree that the title should be on the spine of the DJ but I don't think I would ever notice the end flap issue because I usually take the DJ off when I'm reading a book.

srboone
09-07-2011, 05:11 AM
I used to remove the covers from my books before reading them, but the oil from my hands would sometimes take off the embossing on the cover and spine. :eek: I would have to wear gloves when reading, so I decided to simply leave the cover on.:o

Ben Staad
09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I used to remove the covers from my books before reading them, but the oil from my hands would sometimes take off the embossing on the cover and spine. :eek: I would have to wear gloves when reading, so I decided to simply leave the cover on.:o

Yep. However I just try and handle the books as gently as possible and watch where a put my hands. When I leave the DJ on I typically end up crinkling a corner of the DJ so for me it's a lose lose (of course I don't even consider gloves). BTW I saw what you meant about the end flaps and I thought that was a little strange.

srboone
09-07-2011, 12:10 PM
I doesn't take away from the fact that it's a first class publication. At least with the Supercell series TSB is putting out, the 8 dj spines will create a McVey panorama art.

Ben Staad
09-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm about half way through ATB and I have to say it's really good so far.

P.S. The Popsicle Man is pretty cool. My only wish would be that the deaths were more brutal for the antagonists. BTW it does have wonderful irony which plays off the other themes in this book very well.

adamjames
09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
When I got my first Thunderstorm book, I felt the same about the name not on the spine of the book. So, I asked Paul why he did that, he said that he wanted the books to stick out on your book shelves. When you have more than one Thunderstorm title they do, I got used to it very quickly. As for they end flaps, It's a really big book?
I feel bad because I still haven't read this, got sidetracked by Chuck Klostermans' Eating the Dinosaur.

srboone
09-09-2011, 06:53 PM
When I got my first Thunderstorm book, I felt the same about the name not on the spine of the book. So, I asked Paul why he did that, he said that he wanted the books to stick out on your book shelves. When you have more than one Thunderstorm title they do, I got used to it very quickly. As for they end flaps, It's a really big book?
I feel bad because I still haven't read this, got sidetracked by Chuck Klostermans' Eating the Dinosaur.

Hmmm...I only have ATB from Thunderstorm, so I'll have to wait a bit on that one. Are all of their titles are like that?

Dan Hocker
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Hmm, I can see what you mean about the flaps. I think the spine being the way it is makes it different and interesting. The only thing that I didn't really like about the book, was the white end papers. But then again I don't like white end papers on any book. I feel a bit of color and texture makes a world of difference in "perceived" quality. That being said I think it's a fantastic looking book, the binding is superb and I love the design / artwork.

Ronald Kelly
09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I agree, Dan. I didn't particularly like the white endpapers either. I think a gold or burnished orange color would have been much better and matched the earthy tones of Zach's cover painting.

Ronald Kelly
09-09-2011, 10:37 PM
BTW, I have an extra author's copy of After the Burn I'm willing to sell if anyone's interested. I'll even inscribe it for you. Just shoot me a message and I'll fix you up.

adamjames
09-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Hmmm...I only have ATB from Thunderstorm, so I'll have to wait a bit on that one. Are all of their titles are like that?

Only the Black Voltage line are oversized with the spine art and little end flaps.

Ben Staad
09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Finished up After the Burn last night and I have to say it was great. I particularly thought Popsicle Man and Paradise Pill were excellent tales and made the book a worthwhile read all by themselves. Thanks Mr. Kelly!

Ronald Kelly
09-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Finished up After the Burn last night and I have to say it was great. I particularly thought Popsicle Man and Paradise Pill were excellent tales and made the book a worthwhile read all by themselves. Thanks Mr. Kelly!

Thank you, hoss. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

adamjames
10-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Just finished this, and was reminded of why Ronald is one of my favorite writers. Excellent short story collection.

Ben Staad
10-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Ron~Is there any chance that we may see a continuation of the Popsicle Man? I thought there may be more to his story that would be worth telling.

Thanks,

copefiend2 aka Tim M

Ronald Kelly
10-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Ron~Is there any chance that we may see a continuation of the Popsicle Man? I thought there may be more to his story that would be worth telling.

Thanks,

copefiend2 aka Tim M

I'd love to do more with the Popsicle Man, Tim. This was one of the shorter stories in ATB and, at the end, it left me wondering "What happened to this guy and why is his face so messed up under the mask?" If I ever decide to do an ATB II, rest assured, PM will make another appearance, with punji popsicle sticks and freon gun in hand.

Ben Staad
10-13-2011, 02:39 AM
I'd love to do more with the Popsicle Man, Tim. This was one of the shorter stories in ATB and, at the end, it left me wondering "What happened to this guy and why is his face so messed up under the mask?" If I ever decide to do an ATB II, rest assured, PM will make another appearance, with punji popsicle sticks and freon gun in hand.

That's great and thanks for the reply. I would love to see more of his backstory and continue to read about him kicking some sicko ass.

Ronald Kelly
10-15-2011, 06:16 AM
By the way, for anyone interested, I have a couple of copies of the Thunderstorm edition of AFTER THE BURN without the signature sheet that I'm willing to sell for a fair price. If you'd like to read the book, but don't necessarily care to look at my ugly mug, then this might be right up your alley. Of course, I'll be more than happy to sign and inscribe the title page for you.

If you're interested, give me a holler and I'll be glad to fix you up.

peteOcha
10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
By the way, for anyone interested, I have a couple of copies of the Thunderstorm edition of AFTER THE BURN without the signature sheet that I'm willing to sell for a fair price. If you'd like to read the book, but don't necessarily care to look at my ugly mug, then this might be right up your alley. Of course, I'll be more than happy to sign and inscribe the title page for you.

If you're interested, give me a holler and I'll be glad to fix you up.

I would love to get my hands on a copy, but your inbox is full! :)

Ronald Kelly
10-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I've emptied my inbox and sent you a message in reply, Peter. :)

RJK1981
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I'd love to get a hold of one these, but that would require having money to spend on books, lol. One of these days I will get my hands on this and others such as Hell Hollow

Ronald Kelly
10-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Still got one copy of ATB left, if anyone's interested.

LoStAlIvE
11-01-2011, 06:31 AM
I have started read Ronald Kelly's books. I have started with Hell Hollow. It is great so far.
I am going to get started on getting The Supercell Series this month.

Ronald do you know how many of the Supercell Series books you will be writing? I know there are two so far that are yours.

Ronald Kelly
11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I have started read Ronald Kelly's books. I have started with Hell Hollow. It is great so far.
I am going to get started on getting The Supercell Series this month.

Ronald do you know how many of the Supercell Series books you will be writing? I know there are two so far that are yours.

All of the Essential books will be Supercell and there will be eight of them in all. The next two will be The Dark'Un and Hindsight.

Ronald Kelly
12-17-2011, 10:44 PM
AFTER THE BURN took the #3 spot in Brian Keene's 10 Best Books of 2011 list. A tremendous honor and a huge surprise. I feel like Santa came early this year. :)

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=9983

srboone
12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Congratuations, Ron! A well-deserved honor. The two above yours are on my TBR list still, so as far as I'm concerned, ATB is #1!

Ben Staad
12-18-2011, 04:15 AM
AFTER THE BURN took the #3 spot in Brian Keene's 10 Best Books of 2011 list. A tremendous honor and a huge surprise. I feel like Santa came early this year. :)

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=9983

Awesome Mr. Kelly! There are some real heavy hitters on that list as well as some flat out good books. Congrats.

Ronald Kelly
04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Just wanted to share some photos of the Special Edition of AFTER THE BURN. I just recieved my copy from Paul at Thunderstorm a few days ago. Isn't it awesome?!!

srboone
04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
It is awesome! But where did this one come from? I don' remember it being advertised. :(

srboone
04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
And I see the "Nuclear Dump" photo made it in there! Nice!

peteOcha
04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow, awesome!! Had no idea that there was a limited edition!

Still waiting for my copy though (of the regular edition, but if you want to replace it with that edition I don't mind Ron, go ahead:)). Have heard quite a few good things about this one!

Ronald Kelly
04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Paul just sent me this copy of the special edition, which he just got in from the printer. Since there are only 15 copies, it's probably gone already. You might check with Paul and see, though. He might still have some left.

Pete, I've got your books remarqued and ready to ship. Afraid you'll have to settle for the standard ATB... only got one copy of the special edition myself.

peteOcha
04-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Was only joking. :) Figured that since it was only 15 copies you would have but one for yourself. But its an awesome edition! Let us know if any of your other books will be given limited edition treatment in the future.

Great news about the books! I know you are very busy juggling the day job, writing, family, and everything else! Keep up the great work Ron!

Ronald Kelly
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Pete, I'm so busy I barely have time to take the "nuclear dump", as Squire puts it. ;)

srboone
04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Those were your words way back when, Ron ,when you first showed us that pic as an alternative color sig page!

Ben Staad
04-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Those limited editions look great! I like how yours is roman numeral "Ronald Kelly".

peteOcha
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah, its the one somewhere between VI and XVI...:)

srboone
04-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it's like TWTKH, so it'd be like VII.V or something!

bookworm 1
04-21-2012, 02:09 AM
;)
I think it's like TWTKH, so it'd be like VII.V or something!

bookworm 1
11-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Well I got the e-book of this so I can finaly read this.Very excited about that.Still waiting on Hindsight.If it does not come tomorrow it will not get here till Tuesday(great 80's band ) due to the Monday holliday.

Ronald Kelly
03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
For anyone interested, I have a trade-paperback edition of AFTER THE BURN up for bid on eBay. And, of course, I'll be happy to inscribe and remarque it for the winning bidder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271433449652?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ben Staad
03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Someone got a very good deal. Congrats to the winner.

For anyone interested, I have a trade-paperback edition of AFTER THE BURN up for bid on eBay. And, of course, I'll be happy to inscribe and remarque it for the winning bidder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271433449652?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

kresby
03-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Thunderstorm Books has only a couple copies left of Ron's RESTLESS SHADOWS limited and lettered editions.