PDA

View Full Version : Must read Koontz books...

bsaenz24
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok, while Koontz has been of my reading list for a few years now, since his stories stopped holding my interest, I think he has a good list of must read titles. Here's a few:

Watchers
Whispers
Lightning
Strangers
Midnight
Bad Place
Phantoms
Dark Rivers of the Heart

frik51
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Dark Rivers of the Heart

That's my favorite by far.
I can't really remember the other ones. Once read, they're usually gone within a couple of days.
Intensity also was pretty....intense. :)

sk

HorrorScribe
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I absolutely adored Watchers, Shadowfires (originally published under the pseudonym "Leigh Nichols"), and The Darkest Evening of the Year. All three represent Koontz at his best. There was a period of about 10 or so years where his new releases weren't to my taste, but I've returned to his fiction with an open mind. I tend to enjoy his very recent work but not as much as his output from the 1980s through 1996 or so.

Endless Horror Tale
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I picked up a copy of Watchers from a small-town grocery store in West Texas when I was 12 or 13, visiting my grandparents, and had blown through my cache of Stephen King books taken on that trip. I hadn't previously read any Koontz, and for some reason the cover caught my eye and I took a chance on it. I remember reading and enjoying Lightning, Servants of Twilight, and The Bad Place. At some point, and I can't recall exactly when, I stopped reading Koontz. The last time I read one of his books was probably back in the mid-90s.

jester05jk
08-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Fear Nothing
Seize the Night
Beastchild
Dragon Tears

gsconquest
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Watchers, FunHouse, and the Odd Thomas books are some of my favorites. I had been let down with many of his latest offerings but with his last non Frankenstein book he seems to be back on track. His next book is due out in December. So far it seems interesting, and there are no signs of a magical dog so I'll probably pick it up.

hamount
08-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Ok, while Koontz has been of my reading list for a few years now, since his stories stopped holding my interest, I think he has a good list of must read titles. Here's a few:

Watchers
Whispers
Lightning
Strangers
Midnight
Bad Place
Phantoms
Dark Rivers of the Heart
Actually I didn't think the Bad Place was one of his better ones, a couple I would add to that list is the 1st and 2nd Frankenstein books, the Odd Series, Coldfire, and The Husband(I have a pretty detailed synopsis of The Husband in my blog at www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com.

HorrorScribe
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I picked up a copy of Watchers from a small-town grocery store in West Texas when I was 12 or 13, visiting my grandparents, and had blown through my cache of Stephen King books taken on that trip. I hadn't previously read any Koontz, and for some reason the cover caught my eye and I took a chance on it.

Watchers was my first introduction to Koontz as well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. It helped me through a very difficult time in my life at the age of 15. I bought it at the Newark airport on my way back home to Massachusetts from a very dark period of several months in Arizona. Like with you, Endless Horror Tale, the cover caught my eye and the back cover copy intrigued me.

Endless Horror Tale
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Watchers was my first introduction to Koontz as well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. It helped me through a very difficult time in my life at the age of 15. I bought it at the Newark airport on my way back home to Massachusetts from a very dark period of several months in Arizona. Like with you, Endless Horror Tale, the cover caught my eye and the back cover copy intrigued me.

I really dug Watchers when I first discovered it; I haven't reread it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it holds up. I remember watching the terrible attempt at a film adaptation severl years later and being tremendously disappointed. Needless to say, I never bothered watching any of the sequels. :p

Endless Horror Tale
08-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Actually I didn't think the Bad Place was one of his better ones, a couple I would add to that list is the 1st and 2nd Frankenstein books, the Odd Series, Coldfire, and The Husband(I have a pretty detailed synopsis of The Husband in my blog at www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com.

I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.

HorrorScribe
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I really dug Watchers when I first discovered it; I haven't reread it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it holds up.

Since that initial reading, I've returned to Watchers 2 or 3 more times within a five-year period. However, I haven't read it recently due to my overwhelming backlog of never-read books, but I'm now curious to discover if Watchers will stand the test of time.

srboone
08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't think it will. The whole work was style over substance with nothing really to distinguish it from the plethora of suspense-thrillers around other than the name Koontz. The most potential the book had in terms of immortality was the mental Link between Einstein and The Outsider, and Koontz never jumped on it. He missed a great opportunity with the story and if it survives, it will be as one of Koontz' minor or other works. The problem is determining which of Koontz' works wiill survive (I can't speculate on that as I've only read Watchers and The Bad Place--neither of which were good enough to make me want to read a third one.)

gsconquest
08-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Twilight Eyes is another that I enjoyed that I don't hear too many people mention. Then again I tend to like stories set in carnivals or sideshows, so maybe it's just me...

hamount
08-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.

Your Heart Belongs to Me was also an acceptable read.

Kenwood
08-24-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't think Dean has ever released a bad book. I did stop reading The Taking, but that was a long time ago and I think my mood wasn't right for it. I'll re-read it someday. Other than that, the dude has been pretty consistent. At his worst, he's good. Even his early, sci-fi stuff is pretty solid.

gsconquest
08-25-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think Dean has ever released a bad book. I did stop reading The Taking, but that was a long time ago and I think my mood wasn't right for it. I'll re-read it someday. Other than that, the dude has been pretty consistent. At his worst, he's good. Even his early, sci-fi stuff is pretty solid.

I count myself as a pretty fair Dean Koontz fan but I have to say that i did not care for Breathless. It actually worried me that I might have been soured on Dean but I did enjoy What the Night Knows. I have also had trouble getting through the Frankenstein books. For some reason they don't seem to interest me.

divemaster
08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I have read a lot of Koontz, but nothing recent. I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay), and I think prior to that some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

But some of the early stuff I read 20 years ago or so I really liked. Sure, sure, there were plenty with interchangeable plots, and the one-word titles don't help distinguish them from one another.

But the following stand out as very good reads:

Phantoms
Strangers
Watchers
Whispers
Hideaway
and, since I need one with more than a 1-word title, Twilight Eyes

frik51
08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay)

My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk

bsaenz24
08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk

Great book!! Probably the last Koontz book I loved!!

jester05jk
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

[/B]

Fear Nothing and Seize the Night, both available as CD limiteds.

Kealan Patrick Burke
09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a backlog of Koontz's more recent stuff I need to catch up, but favorites of his earlier work are Phantoms, Midnight, and Intensity, the latter being exactly what the title promises.

Kealan

Grant Wootton
09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
It's Lightning for mine - while DRK plays 2nd fiddle to SK in my book, I like DRK's character development (and the plots aren't too shabby for the most part) :)

hamount
09-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Yeah, I still love his books, but it wasn't one that I particularly enjoyed.

HorrorScribe
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Last Friday, I researched the Net for any Koontz updates and to refamiliarize myself with his books. I got in the mood to read something--anything--by him. Luckily, I have a few of his books hanging around on my shelf. Decided to pick-up STRANGE HIGHWAYS as I've already read it, it's a story collection, and I'm in the midst of a graduate-level Renaissance Literaure course. Well, that didn't last long because my course requirements quickly took over my tidbits of free time. Sigh! So maybe I'll get back to it in December after the class ends.

Critteranne
09-29-2011, 03:20 AM
I love the older books, especially Whispers, Watchers, and Midnight. I also liked some of the lesser known pre-Whispers books, like ... Uhm the one with the crazy kid Colin. I even liked Night Chills, though I have since learned it's controversial because of the sex and violence. More recently, I read a couple of newer ones, Your Heart Belongs to Me and the one about the evil critic (Relentless?). Both were enjoyable, but I was disappointed overall. (The Koontz books I loved often had a message, but they avoided having a Message.)

My all time favorite, however, might be Koontz's How to Write Best-selling Fiction. One of my favorite writing books ever. :) I wish copies weren't so hard to come by.

Ron K
10-07-2011, 01:37 AM
I really enjoyed the older stuff when I was very young, like 12 or so. Watchers, Whispers, Phantoms ... they were all fun. At some point his style or subject matter changed and I moved on after a couple of attempts. It may have just been a bit nuanced and sophisticated for my teenage tastes at the time ... not sure but it wouldn't suprise me. I'd like to read one of his newer (last 5 years?) books ... any suggestions? I like creepy stuff, monster stuff ... those are my favorites. More of a supernatural horror fan and I guess less of a slasher/real world killer horror fan ... if that makes sense.

jhanic
10-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Phantoms is one of my favorites, especially the beginning. I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.

John

frik51
10-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.

For me that was the beginning of King's Desperation.
Too bad the book ran out of steam after about 75 pages or so.

sk

Martin
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Intensity is my favorite Koontz title but I have to admit that I have only read a few. He is an author that I need to read more of.

Patrick
11-08-2011, 05:26 AM
The only Koontz books I read are the Odd Thomas books. Also I collect the Charnel House S/L editions of the Odd Thomas books.

bookworm 1
12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I am reading relentless now it is my 3rd koontz title this year.I also read the husband and the good guy.I must say he does seem to have gotten back on track.
For awhile I could not get through his books.My favorite is strangers of his earlier stuff.

tweetygirl0606
12-16-2011, 01:26 AM
The last couple books of Koontz I read were The Eyes of Darkness and From the Corner of his Eye (think that's the correct title). I read most of his books and for the most part, I really enjoyed them. I did like the first 2 Frankenstein books, but never got around to reading the 3rd and 4th ones yet.

Kenwood
12-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I am reading relentless now it is my 3rd koontz title this year.I also read the husband and the good guy.I must say he does seem to have gotten back on track.
For awhile I could not get through his books.My favorite is strangers of his earlier stuff.

Relentless was excellent...

Right up until the stupid Zazu Waxx thing. And the dog with super powers.
Otherwise, fantastic book. I thought What the Night Knows and it's tie-in novella, Darkness Under the Sun, were also great. His latest novella, The Moonlit Mind, another tie-in, this time to 77 Shadow Street, was very good as well.

HorrorScribe
12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Koontz does seem to have gotten back on track. I've enjoyed his very recent released (such as Breathless & What the Night Knows). In fact, it's those two books that swung the Koontz fan pendulum back to enjoyment rather than annoyance. In fact, I'm surprised it took me this long as I thoroughly adored The Darkest Night of the Year.

tweetygirl0606
02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I just finished reading The Face by Dean Koontz...I enjoyed it..has a little bit of everything in it.

Harrison Ryan
03-03-2012, 05:43 AM
My own list of Koontz faves includes Lightning, Cold Fire, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. The later stuff, not so much...but I would give honorable mentions to the Moonlight Bay books and the Odd Thomas series.

divemaster
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
My own list of Koontz faves includes Lightning, Cold Fire, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. The later stuff, not so much...but I would give honorable mentions to the Moonlight Bay books and the Odd Thomas series.

Have you read Phantoms? It's one of the best, and from his "older stuff." I also liked Watchers and Whispers.

Harrison Ryan
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Have you read Phantoms? It's one of the best, and from his "older stuff." I also liked Watchers and Whispers.

I have indeed read Phantoms. I even saw the movie version in the theater (for some reason) when it came out. Watchers was the best of the "intelligent animal" books that became a running theme for Koontz. I'd amend my list above to include that one, too.

Roseannebarr
03-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Odd Thomas was fun to read, cant imagine why they dont make a film or tv show? anyone know if he sold the rights to these books?

TerryE
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
From IMDb:

Odd Thomas (2012)

Mystery | Thriller - 3 October 2012 (Belgium)

Not yet released

In a California desert town, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces.

Director:
Stephen Sommers

Writers:
Dean R. Koontz (novel), Stephen Sommers (screenplay)

Stars:
Willem Dafoe, Anton Yelchin and Patton Oswalt

srboone
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Jesus Christ, Mr. Checkov, and the chubby guy from Young Adult. In a film directed by the guy responsible for Van Helsing. Hmmmmm.....:(

TerryE
03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Wasn't Dafoe brilliant as Jesus?? I love that movie.

srboone
03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Another great movie! He was brilliant. Dafoe may not have won any awards that year, but he was definitely the actor of the year for two brilliant turns in The Last Temptation of Christ and Mississippi Burning.

TJCams
10-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I am a recent Koontz fan - I was never much of a reader, especially fiction. How stupid of me!!!!! :p

Because I enjoy sci-fi, horror, etc. And love the Stephen King movies, and have started knocking off some of his books now too.

Anyways.........

First Koontz book for me was Voice of The Night - found it very interesting, hard to put down
Next in line was Phantoms - again, great book, story, characters - loved it!
Popped a SK book in after that
Went back to Koontz with a 3 story book that had Shattered - thought this was short, but very good! After Shattered was Whispers - again, thought it was a very good storyline, with good characters (not great I would say), and left you wanting to know what happened next. The 3rd story in this book is Watchers. I did NOT continue on to that one, as I had a co-worker dump 5 of his novels on me (no complaints!), and figured I'd read them in order of when they were released. Well Strangers came before Watchers, so that is what I am reading now. Thoroughly enjoying Strangers, mind you, I am not that far into it yet. Just finished Chapter 1 - still introducing characters.

TJCams
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I will follow up on my last post here, since nobody else has....

Strangers was a great read! It took me longer than I wanted, but I finished it. I was so glad I got my hands on this. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

I am now reading TickTock. I was given this paperback for free. Mind you, this was a book that once I read what it was about, that I wanted to read it. So far, so good. I am about 1/2 way through, and there is quite a lot of action in it. The story is flowing well, which is of course good. Again, I have enjoyed it, and find it hard to put down.

Martin
12-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I have not read a lot of Koontz but of the few I have read I would say that Intensity was my favorite.

TJCams
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I head that, that was a good one. Unless I get one given to me, I probably won't be buying a few for a while. I have 3 more after TickTock that I have to jump into that were given to me a few months back. Plus I have at least 3 CD books that have arrived recently too.

His new one 77 Shadow Street looks like it could be a good read too - flipped through it at a store in town, and as I said, looks to be pretty good. I have not heard any reviews on it though.

Neiaushie79
01-30-2013, 04:44 AM
The Dark Place is a definite!

tchoppy
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Watchers
Whispers
Lightning
Strangers
Midnight
Bad Place
Phantoms
Dark Rivers of the Heart

Love, love all his books! Loved the Watchers, Your Heart Belongs to Me, Tick Tock, Hideway, Midnight, Twilight Eyes.

Basically everything his written I loved. He is one of my favorite authors for sure. Someone I read when I need inspiration.

TJCams
05-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I will be finishing The Key to Midnight tonight. It is one of those that I always skipped over for some reason, and my daughter got it for me at Xmas. I finally felt I needed to slip a Koontz into my reads, and was pleasantly surprised at this one. It's quite an exciting story, and virtually no supernatural stuff going on. It's a story involving real people, experiencing some potentially real events. A little mystery, a little political intrigue, and of course a little love story thrown in as well.

If you like Koontz, I would say add this to your must read list.

kingkrazy
11-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Dean Koontz was really the first author i really fell in love with when I was younger, or Dean R Koontz back than. I really didn't start reading until I was in high school and read a few books by Stephen King and liked them but one day I saw Lightning by Koontz at a grocery store and read the first paragraph and was hooked. I really went wild with his books and I think i read most of what he had out at the time but I might be wrong. The only one i didn't finish was about a small mountain town where everyone had dissappeared and I think some people were found dead. I can't recall the name though. I lost the book and for whatever reason never replaced it. But of those early works, four stand out to me; Lightning, The Bad Place, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. Since then though I had kids and reading came to a complete stop. I have now started reading again and one of the first ones I got was 77 Shadow Street and was really dissappointed with it. So unless something he does just jumps out at me, I might just leave him alone unless I go through his list and find something from "the good ol days" that I missed.

subie09lega
11-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I read Wilderness a couple days ago. Interesting, short story intro to his next novel, Innocence.

TJCams
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I've heard some not so good reviews on 77 Shadow Street - never bothered to grab that. Innocence looks like it might be good though.

kingkrazy - I think Strangers is the best of his works that I have read so far. I did like Whispers a lot too, and Phantoms. TikTok was good, but not great.

TJCams
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I've heard some not so good reviews on 77 Shadow Street - never bothered to grab that. Innocence looks like it might be good though.

kingkrazy - I think Strangers is the best of his works that I have read so far. I did like Whispers a lot too, and Phantoms. TikTok was good, but not great.

subie09lega
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
I noticed there's another Koontz novel on the horizon....

http://www.amazon.com/The-City-Novel-Dean-Koontz/dp/0345545931/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

Sock Monkey
01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
SCRIPHmmm...might be interesting. The description is a little vague, though. I find Koontz to be a little hit or miss, but I'll probably keep an eye out for it. What's one more book on the old TBR pile

Theli
01-21-2014, 06:50 AM
To be honest it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but who knows it might be damn good.

cycloneed20
07-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I liked 77 Shadow Street a lot. A must-read Dean Koontz series is the Odd Thomas books. The last one St. Odd will be released Dec. 14th.

Sock Monkey
02-10-2015, 07:06 PM
I haven't read anything by Koontz in a while. I might need to change that soon.