PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Latest Purchase

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

Marmaduke Grigsby
09-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Arrived today: Graveyard Editions #3 HEAD SPACE AND OTHER UNCOMFORTABLE SURROUNDINGS by James Cooper. I absolutely love these Graveyard Editions! You really feel like you're holding something special in your hands. Great job again, CD!

Dan Hocker
09-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Glad you like it. It's my favorite line we're publishing right now.

Martin
09-09-2019, 05:53 PM
My copy is scheduled for delivery today.

RonClinton
09-09-2019, 07:20 PM
My copy of Centipede Press' MAGIC (William Goldman) arrived today...another fantastic job by Centipede. While I've been meaning to read Goldman's book for decades, I'd just never got around to it, so am now thankful I didn't and can enjoy it in this tremendous new edition.

I'll feature this in a Showcase Book tweet later this week, for those who'd like photos.:cool:

RonClinton
09-11-2019, 04:01 PM
My copy of Centipede Press' MAGIC (William Goldman) arrived today...another fantastic job by Centipede. While I've been meaning to read Goldman's book for decades, I'd just never got around to it, so am now thankful I didn't and can enjoy it in this tremendous new edition.

I'll feature this in a Showcase Book tweet later this week, for those who'd like photos.:cool:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/status/1171429981542481929?s=21

c marvel
10-04-2019, 02:37 AM
White Bizango by Stephen Gallagher for just under $17. I took advantage of the Subterranean Press low stock sale and grabbed this numbered edition. ~Cap

TacomaDiver
10-26-2019, 01:01 AM
Apparently, every year, my new employer goes all out for Halloween. Each department is tasked with coming up with a theme, and this year they decided to be Colorful Colorado.

I'm not sure what the other groups are doing, but the group I belong to (which is essentially Appraisal Desk and Oh Yeah, Jason too . . .) is doing The Shining.

In case you're not aware, The Overlook Hotel is actually located in Colorado (plus NOS4A2 has a connection here, and don't forget about The Stand . . .)

I was originally just going to wear this shirt that I got today:

But my wife is also going to apply a bunch of special effects makeup to make me look frozen. I have no idea what anyone else is doing in my department, but I already know my costume will be the best. (I do wonder how it'll work out when I go walking at lunch . . .)

Dave1442397
10-26-2019, 03:49 PM
You'll have to post a pic of the final outfit!

Brian861
10-26-2019, 05:35 PM
And pretty fitting, buddy since it looks like you guys got your first snowfall already. Be true to the book while walking at lunch and carry a croquet mallet :)

TacomaDiver
10-26-2019, 07:51 PM
You'll have to post a pic of the final outfit!

Absolutely!

And pretty fitting, buddy since it looks like you guys got your first snowfall already. Be true to the book while walking at lunch and carry a croquet mallet :)

Yeah, we got about four inches Wednesday night/Thursday morning and the forecast has four days of snow starting tomorrow (and a 60 degree temperature swing from today to Wednesday!)

Croquet mallet! Why did I not think of that?!?! I wonder if I can find one at a thrift store . . . genius Brian!

Brian861
10-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Absolutely!

Yeah, we got about four inches Wednesday night/Thursday morning and the forecast has four days of snow starting tomorrow (and a 60 degree temperature swing from today to Wednesday!)

Croquet mallet! Why did I not think of that?!?! I wonder if I can find one at a thrift store . . . genius Brian!

I bet you could. Supposed to start getting chilly here as well.

mhatchett
11-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Happy Day After Halloween, hope everybody survived! I picked this up the other day. Nice signed copy. Been looking for this one for a little while. Have a great weekend!

TacomaDiver
11-02-2019, 07:38 PM
As promised, some pictures of our The Shining theme at work.

(Rachel and Amie, who played the twins, won an individual prize!)

Pictures under the Spoiler tag . . .

First, our group shot. Note the carpeting and the tricycle.

Next, some close-ups - first my manager Dan as "Here's Johnny Jack!" We weren't allowed to have weapons, so he brought some Axe body spray. He's full of dad jokes like this!

Amie and Rachel as the twins

And then finally me as frozen Jack.

I want to share a funny story about all of this. Thursday night, my wife and I watched The Shining movie. She hadn't ever seen it before; I've only seen bits and pieces - never the full thing. As the moving is getting close to the end, Katie looks over to me and says "It's been two hours and we still haven't gotten to your scene," meaning my frozen Jack, "and I still don't understand how croquet fits into this movie."

Also, Amie made Red Rum Balls as a treat, and I brought two home to share. Katie also made the comment when Danny first rights Redrum on the door "Oh, Red Rum - I get it!"

She's silly, but I love her.

Dave1442397
11-02-2019, 08:08 PM
Looks great :) ^^^

Martin
11-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Looks good, thanks for sharing! I may have to try Red Rum balls some time!

Brian861
11-03-2019, 04:50 AM
That's hilarious, Jason about Katie. Glad you were about to score the mallet! You need to have her read the book now. So much better than the movie.

Sock Monkey
11-13-2019, 04:35 PM
I received Centipede Press's edition of Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. While it isn't a surprise given Centipede's reputation for putting out quality books, I was very impressed with the final product.

Sock Monkey
11-13-2019, 04:40 PM

Sock Monkey
11-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Here a few pictures of Childhood's End's slipcase. There is a nice inlay in the slipcase. Unfortunately, mine was scratched upon arrival. I'm debating about contacting Jerad to get a replacement. I try not to be too picky about these things, but the book was $300.

Sock Monkey
11-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Here's Childhood's End sans dustjacket. I don't know what this is bound in specifically--Centipede's website only states "clothbound"-- but it feels very luxurious.

Sock Monkey
11-13-2019, 04:46 PM
And lastly, a couple of quick pics of the interior illustrations by David Ho, which are beautiful. Overall, it's a gorgeous edition.

RonClinton
11-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Every time I skip a Centipede Press book because I decide “it’s just not my thing“, like this one, I always regret it. Every single damn time. What an incredibly beautiful and rich production.

slayn666
11-14-2019, 07:49 PM

Uh oh, I see a blemish. No, no, it's not a piece of fuzz that can be easily wiped off. The book is now worthless. I'll do you a solid and take it off your hands for the cost of shipping.

mhatchett
11-14-2019, 10:45 PM
I'm waiting for Dune!

TacomaDiver
11-15-2019, 03:13 AM
I'm waiting for Dune!

Me too, but Jerad said it’s going to be $400 and I don’t know if I can swing that, especially with the upcoming next edition of Ender.

RonClinton
11-15-2019, 03:48 AM
Hmm, hadn’t heard the price was set(ish). That’s a bit higher than I’d hoped. :-/

TacomaDiver
11-15-2019, 03:57 AM
Hmm, hadn’t heard the price was set(ish). That’s a bit higher than I’d hoped. :-/

I expected a premium price, but this might be too rich for me. (Jerad told me price in an email when I expressed interest in a possible unsigned version.)

Sock Monkey
11-15-2019, 05:16 AM
Every time I skip a Centipede Press book because I decide “it’s just not my thing“, like this one, I always regret it. Every single damn time. What an incredibly beautiful and rich production.

Me too! That’s why I just opted to become a subscriber. It hits the wallet pretty hard, but there’s never a worry of missing out and/or talking myself out of a book.

Sock Monkey
11-15-2019, 05:18 AM
Uh oh, I see a blemish. No, no, it's not a piece of fuzz that can be easily wiped off. The book is now worthless. I'll do you a solid and take it off your hands for the cost of shipping.

Good looking out! I knew you had my back. :p

Sock Monkey
11-15-2019, 05:20 AM
I'm waiting for Dune!

Me too, but Jerad said itís going to be $400 and I donít know if I can swing that, especially with the upcoming next edition of Ender.

Ouch. Thatís gonna be hard to swallow so soon after HILL HOUSE. And I canít miss out on the next Ender book.

khaos
11-19-2019, 01:24 PM
I managed to grab a copy of the The Shining from The Folio Society signed by Stephen King in that weird sale they had a few weeks ago. First signed King.

Marmaduke Grigsby
11-19-2019, 02:08 PM
I managed to grab a copy of the The Shining from The Folio Society signed by Stephen King in that weird sale they had a few weeks ago. First signed King.

Gorgeous book! Congrats on the nice acquisition and your first signed King!

Martin
11-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Very nice, congratulations!

Brian861
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Congrats!

sholloman81
12-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Just received my copy of Jeff Vandermeer's "Dead Astronauts". Did anyone else pick this one up? Would love to hear what you think of its presentation. I love how colorful the book cover is and love how colorful the book boards are themselves. Also loved the story being stamped into the book itself like his previous novel "Of Cities Saints & Madmen". All that being said, I hate how small the book size is. It looks tiny next to "standard" size novels. Feels like they traded size for color. While this will make a good reading copy, I'm really hoping someone does a limited!

jeffingoff
12-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Just received my copy of Jeff Vandermeer's "Dead Astronauts". Did anyone else pick this one up? Would love to hear what you think of its presentation. I love how colorful the book cover is and love how colorful the book boards are themselves. Also loved the story being stamped into the book itself like his previous novel "Of Cities Saints & Madmen". All that being said, I hate how small the book size is. It looks tiny next to "standard" size novels. Feels like they traded size for color. While this will make a good reading copy, I'm really hoping someone does a limited!

Well buck up, because SubPress Willy told me that he's doing an edition of DEAD ASTRONAUTS. Which almost made me cancel my Amazon order. But I am so glad I didn't because this is a beautiful trade edition. Obviously the materials used aren't that great (the paper quality for one) but they really went all out on the design. I love it. I don't mind the size at all.

Though it does bother me that it says DEAD JEFF on the spine.

sholloman81
12-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that info Jeff! That's awesome news as I was really hoping there would be a limited. I know his last few books were released as limited editions, but I didn't want to assume that this one would be as well as some of his earlier novels don't have a corresponding limited edition yet. On that note, I would kill for a limited edition of "Cities of Saints and Madmen"

jeffingoff
12-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that info Jeff! That's awesome news as I was really hoping there would be a limited. I know his last few books were released as limited editions, but I didn't want to assume that this one would be as well as some of his earlier novels don't have a corresponding limited edition yet. On that note, I would kill for a limited edition of "Cities of Saints and Madmen"

I would be up for that as well. I have Finch but I haven't read it yet. I'll probably read Dead Astronauts before any of his other stuff. Because it's sitting there. Teasing me. Of course, I'll also buy the SubPress edition to match my Complete Borne number.

BTW: I saw that a lettered edition of Complete Borne sold on eBay for $152. A LETTERED edition. Letter UU. For $152. Why can't I ever stumble upon crazy deals like that????

sholloman81
12-05-2019, 06:25 PM
I would be up for that as well. I have Finch but I haven't read it yet. I'll probably read Dead Astronauts before any of his other stuff. Because it's sitting there. Teasing me. Of course, I'll also buy the SubPress edition to match my Complete Borne number.

BTW: I saw that a lettered edition of Complete Borne sold on eBay for $152. A LETTERED edition. Letter UU. For $152. Why can't I ever stumble upon crazy deals like that????

Know Exactly what you mean! I am dying to find a hardcover of "Finch" and haven't been able to find one under $300.00. One day...

mhatchett
12-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Was on the fence about these, ] glad I got them. Comprehensive, no, interesting yes. These books weigh a ton, full of color slick paper. A really nice set. I'm a sucker for these kinds of semi-reference books. I am glad I settled on the lower price point.
21842[ATTACH=CONFIG]21841

I did open the King entry specially for Y'all LOL!!

Brian861
12-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Neat!

RonClinton
12-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Was on the fence about these, ] glad I got them. Comprehensive, no, interesting yes. These books weigh a ton, full color slick paper. A really nice set. I'm a sucker for these kinds of semi-reference books. I am glad a settled on the lower price point.
21842[ATTACH=CONFIG]21841

I did open the King entry specially for Y'all LOL!!

Very cool, Mike. I was on the fence about these, too, but decided to pass, as there was just too much filmmaker material. I still may grab a set, though…this is the kind of reference stuff that I really love, too, and it’s clearly a beautiful production.

TacomaDiver
12-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Back in May, I had the opportunity to grab the original artwork for the letter G painting of The Mouse Guard Alphabet - artwork by Serena Malyon (https://serenamalyon.com/). Each letter of the alphabet featured a painted "spot" illustration, and then a fully painted page of what the letter represented. A is for Aviary. B is for Black Axe, etc.

Here's a poster of all the letters (I grabbed one at ECCC in 2018 that I always forget I have):

The G was cool because it's the initial of my last name, and I thought it would look really nice framed up.

It never got framed. Which might have been a good thing.

A couple of weeks ago, the accompanying full page page painting was offered for sale, but I had a hard time justifying the price. Well, the other day, the price was lowered quite significantly, and after working with the seller to negotiate even lower, I was able to purchase the painting!

So now I really need to get these two framed because I own the set.

G is for Guardmouse.
(The blue tape is just keeping the sleeve closed - it's not on the painting.)

And what it looks like in the book:

Martin
12-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Back in May, I had the opportunity to grab the original artwork for the letter G painting of The Mouse Guard Alphabet - artwork by Serena Malyon (https://serenamalyon.com/). Each letter of the alphabet featured a painted "spot" illustration, and then a fully painted page of what the letter represented. A is for Aviary. B is for Black Axe, etc.

Here's a poster of all the letters (I grabbed one at ECCC in 2018 that I always forget I have):

The G was cool because it's the initial of my last name, and I thought it would look really nice framed up.

A couple of weeks ago, the accompanying full page page painting was offered for sale, but I had a hard time justifying the price. Well, the other day, the price was lowered quite significantly, and after working with the seller to negotiate even lower, I was able to purchase the painting!

G is for Guardmouse.

Great additions!

TacomaDiver
12-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Great additions!

Thanks! I’m really happy with them. Now to just get them framed.

mhatchett
12-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Excellent!!

RonClinton
12-22-2019, 03:30 AM
Very cool — congratulations!

Marmaduke Grigsby
12-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Beautiful! Would love to see photos after the framing is done! Congrats!

TacomaDiver
12-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to check Michael's today and get an idea of what framing would cost. I have a few other pieces of art from this year's ECCC that I want to see what the cost would be too. It all might have to wait until a bit later, but it'll get done!

khaos
12-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Those are pretty cool pieces. Having just done some custom framing the pricing at Hobby Lobby is way better than Michael's. Like hundreds even with a huge sale at Michael's.

TacomaDiver
12-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Those are pretty cool pieces. Having just done some custom framing the pricing at Hobby Lobby is way better than Michael's. Like hundreds even with a huge sale at Michael's.

I struck out at Michaels trying to get a quote - no one was available to help. I did buy a bunch of cheap frames to quickly hang some stuff up but I still want to get these two done.

Thanks for the tip about Hobby Lobby, but they’re not a store I will permit any of my money to go to. I do plan on checking some other framing shops around and even contemplating doing it myself.

khaos
12-23-2019, 06:32 PM
I struck out at Michaels trying to get a quote - no one was available to help. I did buy a bunch of cheap frames to quickly hang some stuff up but I still want to get these two done.

Thanks for the tip about Hobby Lobby, but they’re not a store I will permit any of my money to go to. I do plan on checking some other framing shops around and even contemplating doing it myself.

Yeah, I really don't like them. But I had 2 huge pics with matting. Quote from Michaels was well over $600, Hobby lobby was like $400.

RonClinton
12-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Michael’s pricing is insane. If you have a Ben Franklin in your area (not sure if they’re a local, regional, or national chain), that’s the way to go. Great work and reasonable pricing.

Ben Staad
12-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Michael’s, at least where I live will have 50% off or more sales, multiple times per years for frames. I didn't even know Hobby Lobby did that kind of work. I have always just waited for the sales at Michael's.

*Edit: My wife reminded me that we had something framed at Hobby Lobby. So I guess I knew but forgot.

TacomaDiver
12-24-2019, 02:10 AM
Michael’s pricing is insane. If you have a Ben Franklin in your area (not sure if they’re a local, regional, or national chain), that’s the way to go. Great work and reasonable pricing.

I’m not sure I’m allowed in a Ben Franklin store after getting caught shoplifting Transformers toys in 1985 at their Belfair location ...

TacomaDiver
12-24-2019, 02:11 AM
I am waiting for some coupons from Michaels.

RonClinton
12-24-2019, 03:56 AM
I’m not sure I’m allowed in a Ben Franklin store after getting caught shoplifting Transformers toys in 1985 at their Belfair location ...

35-year statute of limitations of shoplifting of toys...2020's your year to bask in the savings.

TacomaDiver
12-26-2019, 01:55 PM
35-year statute of limitations of shoplifting of toys...2020's your year to bask in the savings.

Yesssss!

dannyboy121070
12-27-2019, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I really don't like them. But I had 2 huge pics with matting. Quote from Michaels was well over $600, Hobby lobby was like $400.

Oy! This is why I never had my original Steve Dillon PREACHER page that I bought 24 years ago framed and matted....(I did try to do it myself, and it came out....not so good.)

Someday.

slayn666
12-29-2019, 12:31 AM
You guys need to find local frame places. I got a sizable print framed and matted for ~$100 and they did a great job.

TacomaDiver
12-29-2019, 05:09 PM
You guys need to find local frame places. I got a sizable print framed and matted for ~$100 and they did a great job.

That's a good plan too.

I remember in high school, I got two prints framed by a local artist and I don't remember it being very expensive. Of course, this was a long time ago too, but to afford them both on my meager earnings from working 1-2 hours a day at Radio Shack, it couldn't have been very much.

RonClinton
12-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Picked up a couple of books this weekend, courtesy of a gift card my daughters gave me for Christmas:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/status/1211190415535116288?s=21

fanatic
12-30-2019, 07:19 PM
I got a copy of the Centipede edition of Harvest Home by Thomas Tyron for Christmas.
No if i could find a copy of "The other" by Millipede press!

Martin
12-30-2019, 07:40 PM
That's a good plan too.

I remember in high school, I got two prints framed by a local artist and I don't remember it being very expensive. Of course, this was a long time ago too, but to afford them both on my meager earnings from working 1-2 hours a day at Radio Shack, it couldn't have been very much.

In the Portland area there are a couple of independent framers who run specials on Groupon pretty regularly. You may want to check that to see if there are any offers in your area.

mhatchett
12-30-2019, 07:45 PM
Neat!

RonClinton
12-30-2019, 08:33 PM
I got a copy of the Centipede edition of Harvest Home by Thomas Tyron for Christmas.
No if i could find a copy of "The other" by Millipede press!

This is a rare early-number example...later numbers had a different design:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/status/1000023175025979392?s=21

fanatic
12-31-2019, 01:03 AM
This is a rare early-number example...later numbers had a different design:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/status/1000023175025979392?s=21

Very cool! Where do you live?

RonClinton
12-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Very cool! Where do you live?

In a gated community surrounded by armed men in towers and a moat filled with crocodiles.

fanatic
12-31-2019, 04:47 PM
In a gated community surrounded by armed men in towers and a moat filled with crocodiles.

So your saying it's not impossible?

Martin
12-31-2019, 09:34 PM
So your saying it's not impossible?

You'll be fine. Up here in the Northwest the crocodiles are pretty lethargic. Probably because the water is too cold.

Side story. My brother in-law used to live in McMinnville Oregon down the road from the chairman of Evergreen Aviation. Evergreen Aviation was a McMinnville based CIA front company. They evacuated the Shah of Iran and lost a plan while running drugs for the CIA in Central America. The owner had lions on his property. We could hear them roar from his backyard.

mhatchett
01-01-2020, 01:38 PM
After I picked up the Fantastic Fictioneers I decided to add to my reference collection. This is a great resource and the entries are extremely detailed and informative. The selected Bibliographies are chock full of interesting suggestions. These books are older 1985, but they are full of meaningful historical information. And they’re cheap since they are X-Library books, however since they were reference books and didn’t circulate, they are in great shape. I paid $7.00 for this set including shipping. I found a couple of other interesting sets and will post them as they arrive.

Brian861
01-01-2020, 05:00 PM
You'll be fine. Up here in the Northwest the crocodiles are pretty lethargic. Probably because the water is too cold.

Side story. My brother in-law used to live in McMinnville Oregon down the road from the chairman of Evergreen Aviation. Evergreen Aviation was a McMinnville based CIA front company. They evacuated the Shah of Iran and lost a plan while running drugs for the CIA in Central America. The owner had lions on his property. We could hear them roar from his backyard.

Snowfall.

Brian861
01-01-2020, 05:01 PM
After I picked up the Fantastic Fictioneers I decided to add to my reference collection. This is a great resource and the entries are extremely detailed and informative. The selected Bibliographies are chock full of interesting suggestions. These books are older 1985, but they are full of meaningful historical information. And they’re cheap since they are X-Library books, however since they were reference books and didn’t circulate, they are in great shape. I paid $7.00 for this set including shipping. I found a couple of other interesting sets and will post them as they arrive.

Sweet deal!

RonClinton
01-01-2020, 05:06 PM

That’s a hell of a deal, and I’m very envious. I’ve been wanting these books for as long as I can remember. I wanted them for so long, in fact, that I had kind of forgotten about them. You’ve inspired me to start searching for them again. Again, congrats, that’s a fantastic find.

mhatchett
01-01-2020, 05:19 PM
That’s a hell of a deal, and I’m very envious. I’ve been wanting these books for as long as I can remember. I wanted them for so long, in fact, that I had kind of forgotten about them. You’ve inspired me to start searching for them again. Again, congrats, that’s a fantastic find.

Ron There's a lot more of these titles available with libraries ridiculously selling off their Reference Collections. Companies like Thriftbooks are swooping in and buying entire collections for pennies, selling them for just a few dollars and making a profit. I have picked a few great reference works supper cheap. I'm sure you'll have no problem snapping something good up.

RonClinton
01-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Ron There's a lot more of these titles available with libraries ridiculously selling off their Reference Collections. Companies like Thriftbooks are swooping in and buying entire collections for pennies, selling them for just a few dollars and making a profit. I have picked a few great reference works supper cheap. I'm sure you'll have no problem snapping something good up.

That’s encouraging. I gave up a decade or so ago when prices for the two decades previous stayed relatively static at hundreds of dollars.

Martin
01-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Snowfall.

I believe they have made a few adaptations. American Made is another.

Martin
01-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Have not heard of these but they sound very interesting. Nice find!

mhatchett
01-02-2020, 07:31 PM
That’s encouraging. I gave up a decade or so ago when prices for the two decades previous stayed relatively static at hundreds of dollars.

Here's one I found Ron.
https://www.ebay.com/i/312483845403?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D4ae4ef8bc2e945c0bd9 4e6b67c0e9c3c%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D30% 26sd%3D202639736781%26itm%3D312483845403%26pmt%3D0 %26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202

goathunter
01-03-2020, 02:57 AM

Wow! That's a helluva deal.

E.F.'s son Richard and I co-authored the Robert McCammon essay in the followup reference books edited by Richard.

https://www.robertmccammon.com/images/superficwriters_1.jpg

Marmaduke Grigsby
01-03-2020, 12:25 PM

E.F.'s son Richard and I co-authored the Robert McCammon essay in the followup reference books edited by Richard.

I was unaware of this, Hunter! Was the McCammon essay in Volume I or Volume II?

RonClinton
01-03-2020, 03:50 PM
Here's one I found Ron.
https://www.ebay.com/i/312483845403?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D4ae4ef8bc2e945c0bd9 4e6b67c0e9c3c%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D30% 26sd%3D202639736781%26itm%3D312483845403%26pmt%3D0 %26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202

Thanks, but itís really the renowned Bleiler volumes Iím after. This was a cool item, though.

mhatchett
01-03-2020, 09:00 PM

https://www.robertmccammon.com/images/superficwriters_1.jpg

Now you tell me LOL!!!

goathunter
01-07-2020, 04:00 PM
I was unaware of this, Hunter! Was the McCammon essay in Volume I or Volume II?

It's in Volume II. The article can be read on the McCammon site:

https://www.robertmccammon.com/bio/

It was published in 2002---before Speaks the Nightbird was published---so it's really out-of-date now.

Hunter

goathunter
01-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Now you tell me LOL!!!

:D

Marmaduke Grigsby
01-07-2020, 04:55 PM
It's in Volume II. The article can be read on the McCammon site:

https://www.robertmccammon.com/bio/

It was published in 2002---before Speaks the Nightbird was published---so it's really out-of-date now.

Hunter

Thanks, Hunter! I had probably read this on the website before but I had forgotten about it. I found a cheap copy of Volume II on eBay and it is on the way to me.

bsaenz24
01-13-2020, 06:42 PM
I don't buy many Funko figures, gut....it's S.K.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W59KSFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mhatchett
01-13-2020, 10:06 PM
These came in from the lovely people at Camelot Today. Legionnaire C.E. Ward, The Far Tower: Stores for W.B. Yeats Ed Mark Valentine and The Killing Moon Allister Timms.

Sock Monkey
01-14-2020, 05:47 AM
These came in from the lovely people at Camelot Today. Legionnaire C.E. Ward, The Far Tower: Stores for W.B. Yeats Ed Mark Valentine and The Killing Moon Allister Timms.

How’s the quality of Legionnaire? I’ve been eyeing it but have had no experience with the publisher?

mhatchett
01-14-2020, 09:42 AM
It's great! I've never had a problem with Sarob or Swan River. Their books are usually small format but they are well put together.

Sock Monkey
01-15-2020, 10:38 PM
It's great! I've never had a problem with Sarob or Swan River. Their books are usually small format but they are well put together.

Thanks for reply. I'm trying to see how I can fit it into the budget between Centipede's Hill House and Dune threatening to empty all of the pockets. I love that cover, though.

Sock Monkey
01-15-2020, 10:43 PM
So, this is by no means a fancy limited edition, but as I was browsing in a used bookshop a while back, I stumbled on this guy:

Though I'm not the biggest King fan, I've always wanted to read these and since "Rage" is not likely to be reprinted anytime soon, I'm glad to have tracked this one down.

Martin
01-16-2020, 12:20 AM
So, this is by no means a fancy limited edition, but as I was browsing in a used bookshop a while back, I stumbled on this guy:

Though I'm not the biggest King fan, I've always wanted to read these and since "Rage" is not likely to be reprinted anytime soon, I'm glad to have tracked this one down.

I like all four stories in this one. Rage and The Long Walk are the better stories though.

Brian861
01-17-2020, 03:36 AM
That brings back memories. Carried a copy of that round in high school and remember reading Rage during Algebra class lol. I agree with Martin that they are all good but The Long Walk was my favorite. The Running Man adaption with Arnold was horrible.

mhatchett
01-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Nothing Grand, but I found a really nice copy of Stephen King On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, has it really been 20 years already? It caught mt eye in a thrift store, in the religious section lol!! It was in such good shape, I couldn't pass it by. I'm sure I have another copy some where, but it has a home for awhile. Two bucks had to get it HAHAHA!! Yes, I'm downsizing LOL!!!!

Brian861
01-17-2020, 10:23 PM
I think I still need a US 1st of that one.

mhatchett
01-22-2020, 09:33 PM
How’s the quality of Legionnaire? I’ve been eyeing it but have had no experience with the publisher?

I finished the Legionnaire last night. I really enjoyed it. In pacing and language it felt very much like an old timey ghost story and I think that's what the Author was going for.

mhatchett
01-24-2020, 03:11 PM
My reading and even my collecting has taken a quirky reflective turn lately, not exactly sure why. The forum provides me with an interesting contrast, in that we are often talking about the things that are coming out, while I seem to be looking back over my shoulder to see what I’ve missed. Lately I’ve gone back and picked up John M. Ford, Alan Ryan and lastly Les Daniels.
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/15/tor-books-to-republish-john-m-fords-novels-including-two-volumes-of-unpublished-work/

http://thecurmudgeonly.blogspot.com/2011/11/les-daniels.html

mhatchett
02-09-2020, 04:42 PM
As I mentioned I tracked down the Les Daniel's Don Sebastian de Villanueva series. The books were extremely reasonable and I was able find several that were signed. The Detective book is really interesting and as a bonus it is signed by Graham Greene. Sorry I don't know why the picture turned upside down LOl!

RonClinton
02-09-2020, 11:19 PM
The Detective book is really interesting and as a bonus it is signed by Graham Greene. Sorry I don't know why the picture turned upside down LOl!

Wow, nice...very jealous! Where’d you manage to snag that one?

mhatchett
02-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Found a reasonable copy on ABE. Couldn't believe it, the book is just about Fine!

c marvel
02-11-2020, 02:59 AM
I received today The Night Doctor and Other Tales: Short Fiction by Steve Rasnic Tem and Blood Secrets by Craig Jones. Both are S/L copies.

Cap

TacomaDiver
02-14-2020, 03:44 AM
As promised - here are some pictures of how this project turned out.

I struggled with deciding on how to get it framed, but one Sunday afternoon I had a great idea - what if I framed the two paintings together just like they appeared in the book? So that's exactly what I did.

Here's the pages as they appear in the book:

The two original paintings are floating in the frame to make the art pop a bit more, plus since none of the art is obscured, you can still see all of all the bits that were lost when they were printed in the book.

I tried to match the frame with the color of the book's cover - and I think I did a pretty good job of that, especially with the gold elements.

This project exceeded my expectations - I really love how this turned out and can't wait to begin hanging up all of my art in my office/den finally. It's only a been a year with bare walls afterall . . .

G is for Guardmouse.

Ben Staad
02-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Looks very nice. Congrats!

mhatchett
02-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Looks great!!

Marmaduke Grigsby
02-14-2020, 12:26 PM
It turned out beautifully! The way you had them framed is perfect. Awesome!

jeffingoff
02-14-2020, 01:45 PM
That's a gem!!!

RonClinton
02-14-2020, 02:06 PM
Very nice — congrats!

Brian861
02-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Turned out perfect, Jason! Congrats!

c marvel
02-14-2020, 05:54 PM
As promised - here are some pictures of how this project turned out.

I struggled with deciding on how to get it framed, but one Sunday afternoon I had a great idea - what if I framed the two paintings together just like they appeared in the book? So that's exactly what I did.

Here's the pages as they appear in the book:

The two original paintings are floating in the frame to make the art pop a bit more, plus since none of the art is obscured, you can still see all of all the bits that were lost when they were printed in the book.

I tried to match the frame with the color of the book's cover - and I think I did a pretty good job of that, especially with the gold elements.

This project exceeded my expectations - I really love how this turned out and can't wait to begin hanging up all of my art in my office/den finally. It's only a been a year with bare walls afterall . . .

Where is the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I don't see how they fit in or maybe I should say what did you do with the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I guess I'm missing something Jason.

Cap

TacomaDiver
02-14-2020, 11:50 PM
Looks very nice. Congrats!

Looks great!!

It turned out beautifully! The way you had them framed is perfect. Awesome!

That's a gem!!!

Very nice — congrats!

Turned out perfect, Jason! Congrats!

Thanks everyone. I'm still amazed at how well it turned out.

Serena even replied to my IG post complimenting the framing and appreciating that they're in a good home. Also, when I purchased full the full page painting, I mentioned to the seller that I also owned the small one and promised to send a picture. Which I did, and she responded that the framing was "freaking awesome" and if she framed them that way, she would have never sold them.

TacomaDiver
02-14-2020, 11:52 PM
Where is the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I don't see how they fit in or maybe I should say what did you do with the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I guess I'm missing something Jason.

Cap

There are a few pictures in the post - the paintings are done by Serena Malyon (a mouseguard with sword, and the smaller mouse with G) and the words/poem are by David Petersen. The art is from an alphabet book, so the framing of the originals match the book.

without the pictures, none of it makes sense.

Martin
02-15-2020, 02:32 AM
I agree with the sentiments expressed. Fantastic art with the perfect presentation. I know how important Mouse Guard is to you and am so glad you have been able to add this to your home!

TacomaDiver
02-15-2020, 01:33 PM
I agree with the sentiments expressed. Fantastic art with the perfect presentation. I know how important Mouse Guard is to you and am so glad you have been able to add this to your home!

Thank you! I appreciate that quite a bit.

TacomaDiver
02-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Stumbled upon a collectible that I wasn't aware existed - a special Crazy Bricks LEGO Mouse Guard figurine - exclusive to BrickCon in 2015.

21978 21979

And related - there is a new Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/bricks-of-the-mouse-guard-returns) from Crazy Bricks for 13 (!!) custom LEGO figurines. I really wanted them, but it seemed a bit silly (dare I say, ridiculous?) to spend over $200 on these things, but my wife said "Do it!" and who am I to argue with the wife. Plus after seeing this little guy, I'm super excited to have the rest of them in my collection.

Martin
02-23-2020, 03:22 AM
Stumbled upon a collectible that I wasn't aware existed - a special Crazy Bricks LEGO Mouse Guard figurine - exclusive to BrickCon in 2015.

21978 21979

And related - there is a new Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/bricks-of-the-mouse-guard-returns) from Crazy Bricks for 13 (!!) custom LEGO figurines. I really wanted them, but it seemed a bit silly (dare I say, ridiculous?) to spend over $200 on these things, but my wife said "Do it!" and who am I to argue with the wife. Plus after seeing this little guy, I'm super excited to have the rest of them in my collection.

Great find, congratulations!

Martin
02-23-2020, 04:06 AM

21978 21979

I took a look at the Kickstarter and I agree with your wife. This is something that you would forever regret passing on.

RonClinton
02-23-2020, 05:08 AM
I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...it’s a book I’ve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Brian861
02-23-2020, 05:46 PM
Cool stuff, Jason!

Martin
02-23-2020, 10:40 PM
I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...it’s a book I’ve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Not something I am familiar with.

Splync
02-23-2020, 11:10 PM
I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...itís a book Iíve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so itís scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Ooh, you've inspired me! I was on the fence about that collection, but saving nearly 40% decides it.

RonClinton
02-24-2020, 02:01 AM
Not something I am familiar with.

I’m not very familiar with her work, either, but the sheer variety of the stories in this collection sounded intriguing and was distinctly less SF than some of Sub Press’ other BEST OF collections of SF masters, so thought I’d give her a try. Picked it up earlier today, and though as usual there was no packing material it arrived miraculously in pristine condition.

Martin
02-24-2020, 03:06 AM
I’m not very familiar with her work, either, but the sheer variety of the stories in this collection sounded intriguing and was distinctly less SF than some of Sub Press’ other BEST OF collections of SF masters, so thought I’d give her a try. Picked it up earlier today, and though as usual there was no packing material it arrived miraculously in pristine condition.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Dave1442397
02-24-2020, 02:11 PM
I just got my copy of Ellison Under Glass, published by Charnel House. A beautiful book. I only went for the $200 version :)

RonClinton
02-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Beautiful. I’m chagrined to say I don’t own any Charnel House Books. Almost picked up THE NEW NEIGHBOR back in the day, but never did. They did (do?) lovely books.

slayn666
02-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Beautiful. I’m chagrined to say I don’t own any Charnel House Books. Almost picked up THE NEW NEIGHBOR back in the day, but never did. They did (do?) lovely books.

I have that one. It's up on eBay pretty regularly for $100 to $150 if you still want to get it. Hell, a recent copy went for less than half that.

TacomaDiver
02-29-2020, 10:26 PM
Yesterday, the mailman brought me CD's edition of A Head Full of Ghosts.

This is my first book from their Graveyards line, and it's a beauty. I'm not normally a fan of this style of book (the Easton Press books are not attractive to me) but you know what, this thing is pretty nice looking. Completely different than SST's version, but still gorgeous in its own way. Great job CD!

21988 21989
It's so shiny that it's difficult to get a good picture of (well, at least in my kitchen.)

21990 21991

It's a really great looking book, especially for the price paid.

Brian861
03-01-2020, 03:13 PM
Thinking Little (and Dan) had the last laugh here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLs6NGrIek&feature=em-uploademail

Splync
03-01-2020, 03:26 PM

I came to say the same thing! A lot of fun right there.

My boxes came as well. I ordered two of them and got the hardcover of CD Magazine's Joe Hill Special, Dog Days O' Summer, and the screenplays for Viva Las Vegas and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Excellent additions to my library!

bookworm 1
03-02-2020, 12:32 AM

This cracked me up. Well at least Jeff now can read one the the best Bentley Little short stories ever written

Dan Hocker
03-02-2020, 01:36 PM

I wish I could say this was intentional, but I didn't touch these grab bags. Also I'm a nice guy and would've avoided Bentley for Jeff... lol

jeffingoff
03-02-2020, 04:21 PM
This cracked me up. Well at least Jeff now can read one the the best Bentley Little short stories ever written

That actually makes me feel better about coming across Bentley Little in my house. I may actually read it!

I wish I could say this was intentional, but I didn't touch these grab bags. Also I'm a nice guy and would've avoided Bentley for Jeff... lol

I appreciate it, Dan! I knew the risks when I signed up. And it is a beautiful book.

Brian861
03-02-2020, 11:20 PM
I think they are very nice for the price paid also and I'll be collecting all of them.

Yesterday, the mailman brought me CD's edition of A Head Full of Ghosts. This is my first book from their Graveyards line, and it's a beauty. I'm not normally a fan of this style of book (the Easton Press books are not attractive to me) but you know what, this thing is pretty nice looking. Completely different than SST's version, but still gorgeous in its own way. Great job CD! It's so shiny that it's difficult to get a good picture of (well, at least in my kitchen.) It's a really great looking book, especially for the price paid.

Ben Staad
03-02-2020, 11:30 PM
Good story you should give it a try. Of course it is still written in his style which obviously isn't your cup of tea.

That actually makes me feel better about coming across Bentley Little in my house. I may actually read it!

I appreciate it, Dan! I knew the risks when I signed up. And it is a beautiful book.

jeffingoff
03-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Good story you should give it a try. Of course it is still written in his style which obviously isn't your cup of tea.

I actually don't have a problem with his style. He's a good writer and easy to read. There's just no point to his stories. A writer who's style I can't STAND is CJ Tudor. She recently posted a teaser for her next book on her Twitter account and it featured a snippet of her writing that is exactly the stuff I HATE.

jeffingoff
03-03-2020, 12:36 AM
I actually don't have a problem with his style. He's a good writer and easy to read. There's just no point to his stories. A writer who's style I can't STAND is CJ Tudor. She recently posted a teaser for her next book on her Twitter account and it featured a snippet of her writing that is exactly the stuff I HATE.

Hereís a pic of that tweet. 21993

Splync
03-03-2020, 01:49 AM

Her style definitely took some getting used to in The Chalk Man. I wanted to love the book, but was disappointed by the end. It wasn't a bad book, by any means, but it managed to find an underwhelming answer to each plot thread.

Martin
03-03-2020, 02:28 AM
Here’s a pic of that tweet. 21993

As much as I hate to do it, I kind of have to agree with you on that tweet. I have read nothing from this author but that paragraph is painful.

jeffingoff
03-03-2020, 01:39 PM
As much as I hate to do it, I kind of have to agree with you on that tweet. I have read nothing from this author but that paragraph is painful.

I don't remember it being that bad while reading The Chalk Man. But it was unbearable reading The Hiding Place. The way she writes is annoying. Irritating. Infuriating. It burns my eyes with burning tears that burn. With flames. With painful heat. With scorching fury that sears and scalds and blisters. It's like she stumbles onto an idea and expresses that idea and then words it differently and then writes it with new words and then says the exact same thing again with additional words that all mean the same goddamned thing!

Please, someone take the thesaurus away from her.

jeffingoff
03-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Her style definitely took some getting used to in The Chalk Man. I wanted to love the book, but was disappointed by the end. It wasn't a bad book, by any means, but it managed to find an underwhelming answer to each plot thread.

I had the same reaction to The Chalk Man. I was not a hater by any means but I had no idea why that book was hyped the way it was. That's why I was foolish enough to get The Hiding Place and match my number for The Chalk Man. The Hiding Place was not only loaded with outrageously ludicrous plot twists, you had to hack through tangles of infuriating passages to get to them.

Splync
03-03-2020, 07:45 PM
I had the same reaction to The Chalk Man. I was not a hater by any means but I had no idea why that book was hyped the way it was. That's why I was foolish enough to get The Hiding Place and match my number for The Chalk Man. The Hiding Place was not only loaded with outrageously ludicrous plot twists, you had to hack through tangles of infuriating passages to get to them.

I still need to read The Hiding Place, but it sounds like it might be another disappointment. Worse yet is that I also own a copy of her latest book (the signed copies from the UK were cheap), so I feel commited to reading both, haha!

Splync
03-10-2020, 02:31 AM

Got to add a couple of ARCs to the collection along with the gift edition of Desperation!

Martin
03-10-2020, 02:32 AM

Got to add a couple of ARCs to the collection along with the gift edition of Desperation!

Great additions, congratulations!

c marvel
03-10-2020, 03:47 AM
Today I received Dreamland by Nnacy Bilyeau. I snagged a signed trade paperback copy from the Mysterious Bookshop. The cover is what drew me in and made me order Dreamland. I was reminded of circus tents by the artwork. I have said this quite a few times before and I'll say it again. This is a book has a pretty cover. I'm unsure what shade of blue it is--It's just pretty and the image online does not do justice to the book when you're really holding it. I'm nearing the end of one book otherwise I'd be so very tempted to set it aside and dive into Dreamland.
Here is what I really find interesting. I knew the basic storyline for Dreamland. Two or three days ago I found myself looking at these old hotels, two or three, that used to be on Coney Island. Coney Island is part of the setting for Dreamland. At the end of Dreamland the author talks about these old hotels that are now long gone.

Cap

Ben Staad
03-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Congrats. The GE of Desperation is a very nice book.

bookworm 1
03-13-2020, 02:02 AM
So while taking a break from helping pack up my daughter for the trip home I went to a used book store and spent money. Found a mint condition issue of The Horror Show magazine as well as all 4 volumes in paperback of Charles Grants Greystone Bay anthology series and few other Charles Grant titles. It was a great find and a great distraction.

c marvel
03-13-2020, 02:38 AM
Today I got the Suntup Press Misery thanks to a CD discussion board member. Just the packaging used by Paul is quite impressive. ~Cap

Martin
03-13-2020, 03:12 AM
Today I got the Suntup Press Misery thanks to a CD discussion board member. Just the packaging used by Paul is quite impressive. ~Cap

Congratulations, that is a great addition!

mhatchett
03-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Brian Keene's On the Road arrived yesterday. Really looking forward to reading this one. I'm sure no sideways pic is needed, we all know what it looks like LOL! Have a great Day!

Dave1442397
03-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Brian Keene's On the Road arrived yesterday. Really looking forward to reading this one. I'm sure no sideways pic is needed, we all know what it looks like LOL! Have a great Day!

Mine arrived last week, and I read it over the weekend. It was a good read. The only thing he says that bugs me is "But I digress", which shows up way too many times, and is one of those sayings that is usually completely irrelevant.

mhatchett
03-19-2020, 09:04 PM
A couple on new framed Bradbury items!

Dave1442397
03-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Very nice! ^^^

jeffingoff
03-19-2020, 09:25 PM
WOW! FANTASTIC!

Martin
03-19-2020, 11:07 PM
Beautiful!

RonClinton
03-20-2020, 05:50 AM
Those look great!

mhatchett
03-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. One more to post later today!

mhatchett
03-20-2020, 04:39 PM
This will be it for awhile!

RonClinton
03-20-2020, 08:11 PM
This will be it for awhile!

That’s definitely something to hang up every December...if Santa’s as smart as I think he is, you’ll be his favorite stop!

Ben Staad
03-20-2020, 09:28 PM
All of your framed items look great Mr. Hatchett. Congrats.

mhatchett
03-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Ben, MR Hatchett is my Dad, call me Mike HAHHA! And Thank You!

bookworm 1
03-21-2020, 01:53 AM
A couple on new framed Bradbury items!

I love these!! Very nice.

Splync
04-01-2020, 02:38 AM
I'll have to take pictures later, but my signed copy of Ten Word Tragedies from PS Publishing arrived today. It is absolutely beautiful!

It also baffles me that there are STILL copies available. It features original stories (and is signed by) a ton of great writers, including Josh Malerman and Paul Tremblay! Not to mention that Frank Turner also signed it (he's the punk/folk musician who inspired the collection).

Martin
04-01-2020, 02:56 AM
I'll have to take pictures later, but my signed copy of Ten Word Tragedies from PS Publishing arrived today. It is absolutely beautiful!

It also baffles me that there are STILL copies available. It features original stories (and is signed by) a ton of great writers, including Josh Malerman and Paul Tremblay! Not to mention that Frank Turner also signed it (he's the punk/folk musician who inspired the collection).

I am one of those who passed. I love the concept and it is a great price. If I remember correctly PS never said who would be signing the signed edition. I assumed it was just the editors. Who all signed it?

Splync
04-01-2020, 03:01 AM
I am one of those who passed. I love the concept and it is a great price. If I remember correctly PS never said who would be signing the signed edition. I assumed it was just the editors. Who all signed it?

It looked to be all of the contributors (two full pages of signatures). The ones that I stood out to me as I was glancing it over were Armstrong, Littlewood, Koryta, Turner, Tremblay, and Malerman (the last two of whom I had completely forgotten had contributed).

But after a twelve hour day, I didn't have the energy to take photos. Definitely tomorrow though!

Martin
04-01-2020, 03:04 AM
It looked to be all of the contributors (two full pages of signatures). The ones that I stood out to me as I was glancing it over were Armstrong, Littlewood, Koryta, Turner, Tremblay, and Malerman (the last two of whom I had completely forgotten had contributed).

But after a twelve hour day, I didn't have the energy to take photos. Definitely tomorrow though!

I would love to see photos. You are making me re-think my passing on this one.

Splync
04-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Ben Staad
04-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Cool looking book. Also it made me look up Frank Turner and listen to some of his music. Never heard of him before.

jeffingoff
04-01-2020, 02:26 PM
goddamnit I missed this book. Why couldn't I have continued to miss this book?

RonClinton
04-01-2020, 02:30 PM
I also passed...one, had no idea who Frank Turner was; two, since it was based on his work I thought the stories would be about music (a mash-up I don’t care for); three, the title intimates the stories are only ten words long, so flash fiction...? Now that I’ve taken the time to actually read the synopsis rather than make assumptions, I see the latter two are untrue, and it actually sounds rather good. I may rethink this one.

Splync
04-01-2020, 03:34 PM
goddamnit I missed this book. Why couldn't I have continued to miss this book?

Copies are still available!

jeffingoff
04-01-2020, 04:02 PM

Well, there's one less after reading this thread and seeing those pics and visiting the PS site!

Splync
04-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Well, there's one less after reading this thread and seeing those pics and visiting the PS site!

I look forward to the unboxing!!

RonClinton
04-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Arrived today: the S/L three-volume set of THE THEMIS FILES, published by Subterranean Press.

Martin
04-02-2020, 03:20 AM

Thank you for sharing the info on the book. You did just cost me some money though. I ordered one today.

Splync
04-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Thank you for sharing the info on the book. You did just cost me some money though. I ordered one today.

Glad to hear! For the price that it is, I can't recommend it enough. ;-)

MikeStegs
04-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear! For the price that it is, I can't recommend it enough. ;-)

Another one down...just ordered it. My first direct purchase from PS Publishing. Thanks for the recommendation.

Martin
04-02-2020, 11:02 PM
Another one down...just ordered it. My first direct purchase from PS Publishing. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pete is good to deal with. Just know you will not get a shipping notice the book will just arrive. And if you ever order one of his grab bags it will actually arrive in a bag!

MikeStegs
04-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Pete is good to deal with. Just know you will not get a shipping notice the book will just arrive. And if you ever order one of his grab bags it will actually arrive in a bag!

That’s good to know. Thanks!!

Splync
04-03-2020, 12:43 AM

The same also applies to when you buy books from him in bulk. It's always a pleasure to see one of those Royal Mail currier bags on the stoop!

Martin
04-03-2020, 01:24 AM
The same also applies to when you buy books from him in bulk. It's always a pleasure to see one of those Royal Mail currier bags on the stoop!

The first time I saw a bag of books sitting on my front porch I remember thinking "This guy takes the term grab bag seriously!". At this point Pete should be giving you a commission on Ten Word Tragedies.

Splync
04-03-2020, 01:59 AM
The first time I saw a bag of books sitting on my front porch I remember thinking "This guy takes the term grab bag seriously!". At this point Pete should be giving you a commission on Ten Word Tragedies.

I won't stop until every copy is sold!

In all seriousness, it's just a great deal with a lot of recognizable contributors. There's no reason for this title to NOT be sold out.

Plus getting people to spend money makes me feel better about my own spending habits, haha...

mhatchett
04-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Rarely buy fro PS directly, however I did this Christmas because they had such a great sale and seems that when they do have a sale,they move stuff out!

Splync
04-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Rarely buy fro PS directly, however I did this Christmas because they had such a great sale and seems that when they do have a sale,they move stuff out!

Their sales are phenomenal. I'll slowed down a bit, since I already own most of the titles used in their grab bags, but I still frequently check their site for new sales.

If it helps, the price of the signed edition of Ten Word Tragedies is already highly affordable! ;-)

Martin
04-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Their sales are phenomenal. I'll slowed down a bit, since I already own most of the titles used in their grab bags, but I still frequently check their site for new sales.

If it helps, the price of the signed edition of Ten Word Tragedies is already highly affordable! ;-)

For those that do not know PS runs a clearance site and as Splync has stated his sales really are phenomenal. The percent off is often quite high. A new book in the Borderlands Press Little Book Series!
https://pspublishing2.com/
Example. He currently has a "Mixed bag of 10 hardcover books" for under $36.00.