PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Latest Purchase

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

daverob
01-06-2018, 11:02 PM
My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.

Sock Monkey
01-07-2018, 04:23 AM
My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.

It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.

Sock Monkey
01-07-2018, 04:37 AM
I own and have read Burks' Arkham House collection, and it was pretty good. Not sure I'd call him a "Master" of the form, though, nor arguably worth the MoTW price tag.

Thanks for the insight. Iím torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didnít have two more volumes following so quickly behind...

Theli
01-08-2018, 01:21 PM
It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.

I really want to pick up this edition. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Theli
01-08-2018, 01:23 PM
It took me a while to get around to taking pictures, but here was my Christmas gift from my wife this year:

The Centipede Press edition of Peter Straub's Julia.

I had serious reservations that the book would live up to its rather steep price tag, but DEAR GOD, is this a good looking book! Centipede did an amazing job with this edition: from the cover art and binding, even the paper used on this thing is impressive. I've always had a sweet spot for this understated gem of a book in my heart, but now I'm happy to have this edition in my collection.

Man, you got me jealous with this one.

c marvel
01-11-2018, 06:53 AM
On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap

Martin
01-11-2018, 02:37 PM
On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap

That sounds very cool!

mhatchett
01-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the insight. I’m torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didn’t have two more volumes following so quickly behind...

I'm really looking forward to Centipede's edition of Arthur Machen's work.

mhatchett
01-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Speaking of vintage paperbacks, I picked these items up from ebay. Very cool and super reasonable.

c marvel
01-25-2018, 01:20 AM
These are my two latest purchases.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson from 1929. I'm unsure if the publisher is E P Dutton and Company or J M Dent & Sons Ltd. It's a mini hardback. I saw on eBay other new mini hardcovers of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This one drew me in mainly because of the cool illustration of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde side by side on the inside.

Murder in the Blackout, a Tower Mystery, by J. Russell Warren from 1943. This is the US title for The Gas-Mask Murder. I kind of like the bat logo stamped over the A Tower Mystery.

I spent under $25 for these two books and I think they were well worth it!

Cap

c marvel
02-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Widow's Point trade hardcover by Richard and Billy Chizmar (Hopefully signed by both authors).
Lost and Lonely S/L by Brian James Freeman.
Phoresis by Greg Egan.
Offspring and Off Season by Jack Ketchum trade paperbacks with a signed bookplate for each.

Cap

Marmaduke Grigsby
02-06-2018, 06:00 PM
My CD Review Copy Grab Bag arrived today! I am very happy with it.

Sock Monkey
02-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Very cool!

Martin
02-07-2018, 02:21 AM

Congratulations! Salome and Lost and Lonely are both great reads.

Brian861
02-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Good grabs!

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Will be interested to hear what you think.

OK. I bought the CD trade edition of THE MAILMAN on January 3rd and when it arrived I moved it near the top of my TBR pile and then I read it. And I read it all. And I finished it yesterday. And I really really really did not like it. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I hate it.

I read it with an open mind. I pushed through even though I wasn't enjoying it. It kind of had an upswing somewhere toward the end, but that crashed. I really did hope that the book would win me over. I want to like Little. So many people seem to enjoy him and get what he''s doing and I hate missing out on the fun. I hate being the stick in the mud. But this. I just couldn't do it.

So I think I can close a chapter on my life regarding Little. I wanted to. I tried. I can't.

Martin
02-08-2018, 02:56 PM
OK. I bought the CD trade edition of THE MAILMAN on January 3rd and when it arrived I moved it near the top of my TBR pile and then I read it. And I read it all. And I finished it yesterday. And I really really really did not like it. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I hate it.

I read it with an open mind. I pushed through even though I wasn't enjoying it. It kind of had an upswing somewhere toward the end, but that crashed. I really did hope that the book would win me over. I want to like Little. So many people seem to enjoy him and get what he''s doing and I hate missing out on the fun. I hate being the stick in the mud. But this. I just couldn't do it.

So I think I can close a chapter on my life regarding Little. I wanted to. I tried. I can't.

I really enjoyed The Mailman. For me the author I really wanted to like but could not get into was Anne Rice. I have attempted several of her books, I just do not like her writing.

You made the effort, you can move on in peace.

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 03:16 PM
I really enjoyed The Mailman. For me the author I really wanted to like but could not get into was Anne Rice. I have attempted several of her books, I just do not like her writing.

You made the effort, you can move on in peace.

I had the same reaction to Rice. I tried to read Tale of the Body Thief and Witching Hour.

Tommy
02-08-2018, 03:54 PM
I think The Vampire Lestat is an excellent starting place. I loved The Witching Hour but GOD! It's the size of three books and took a LONG time to get through. Her Vampires are much better than the Witches but I love them both. Interview with the Vampire is far from my favorite of hers. That would probably be The Queen of the Damned (and don't watch that shitty movie if you haven't already). Rice can be really excellent once you get on a roll with her. I read 17 of books in a row a few years back.

Martin
02-08-2018, 04:36 PM
I think The Vampire Lestat is an excellent starting place. I loved The Witching Hour but GOD! It's the size of three books and took a LONG time to get through. Her Vampires are much better than the Witches but I love them both. Interview with the Vampire is far from my favorite of hers. That would probably be The Queen of the Damned (and don't watch that shitty movie if you haven't already). Rice can be really excellent once you get on a roll with her. I read 17 of books in a row a few years back.

I have tried to read The Vampire Lestat and Interview With the Vampire multiple times. I even tried Sleeping Beauties thinking maybe it was the Vampire stories I did not like. She is actually one of the very few authors I have been unable to force my way through a book for. Something in her writing style just irritates me and I can't get through them.

RonClinton
02-08-2018, 06:24 PM

Wow, sorry to hear of your experience and reaction, Jeff, especially given that I was one of those touting him and this work, in particular, as representative of his style. But the silver lining, I suppose, is that you arguably gave him the best shot possible w/ THE MAILMAN, so you don't need to give away any more $$ and time in trying to determine conclusively if he's for you (since I would have suggested THE STORE or one or two others if you were lukewarm)...sounds like that decision has been made.

I'd ask what you found so disagreeable, but in the end it's all moot...you didn't like him, you move on, plenty of other fish in the biblio-sea. There are authors that others swear by but whose appeal totally escapes me...so I get it.

I think you're wrong, but I get it. :p

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Wow, sorry to hear of your experience and reaction, Jeff, especially given that I was one of those touting him and this work, in particular, as representative of his style. But the silver lining, I suppose, is that you arguably gave him the best shot possible w/ THE MAILMAN, so you don't need to give away any more $$ and time in trying to determine conclusively if he's for you (since I would have suggested THE STORE or one or two others if you were lukewarm)...sounds like that decision has been made.

I'd ask what you found so disagreeable, but in the end it's all moot...you didn't like him, you move on, plenty of other fish in the biblio-sea. There are authors that others swear by but whose appeal totally escapes me...so I get it.

I think you're wrong, but I get it. :p

Yeah, reading a book is such a deeply personal experience and there's no accounting for the chemistry between author and reader. It's either there or it isn't. I really wanted to like him because I liked how people described Little's writing. Based on those descriptions (way out there, darkly humorous, scary, creepy, original) I should have loved it.

Maybe after I chew through some of the titles on my TBR list I'll give him another shot. I know I'm getting a couple of his short stories in Turn Down the Lights and Shivers 8. Who knows?

If you want to know my unfiltered thoughts on The Mailman, I posted a review on Goodreads. It's kinda over the top. I didn't want to be as vocal here, because people can take it personally when you don't like their recommendations. And I don't want anyone here who likes Little to feel insulted. It's all good. I actually feel good that I read the book and gave it an honest shot. I plan on keeping the book, too.

RonClinton
02-08-2018, 07:12 PM
If you want to know my unfiltered thoughts on The Mailman, I posted a review on Goodreads. It's kinda over the top. I didn't want to be as vocal here, because people can take it personally when you don't like their recommendations. And I don't want anyone here who likes Little to feel insulted. It's all good. I actually feel good that I read the book and gave it an honest shot. I plan on keeping the book, too.

I'm about as thick-skinned as it comes to getting offended on matters like that...it's unfortunate you didn't like Little and the work in question, but I don't at all see it as a reflection of me or my tastes...tastes vary, and, quite honestly, your like or dislike of something doesn't have any impact at all on my like or dislikes (e.g. Malerman's GOBLIN). So I'd be curious to read your view just on an objective level and get an opposing perspective. I hear some people say they don't like Little, but I've never really read a clear reason why, so I remain a bit puzzled (though, again, largely uncaring as it relates to my own preferences) as to what the issues are. I looked up THE MAILMAN on GoodReads, but I don't see your name, so maybe you can provide a link...?

Martin
02-08-2018, 07:21 PM
I'm about as thick-skinned as it comes to getting offended on matters like that...it's unfortunate you didn't like Little and the work in question, but I don't at all see it as a reflection of me or my tastes...tastes vary, and, quite honestly, your like or dislike of something doesn't have any impact at all on my like or dislikes (e.g. Malerman's GOBLIN). So I'd be curious to read your view just on an objective level and get an opposing perspective. I hear some people say they don't like Little, but I've never really read a clear reason why, so I remain a bit puzzled (though, again, largely uncaring as it relates to my own preferences) as to what the issues are. I looked up THE MAILMAN on GoodReads, but I don't see your name, so maybe you can provide a link...?

Ron,
You should be able to read Jeff's review here:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70716397-jeff-terry

Jeff,
I concur with Ron with regards to being offended. I liked it you, did not. I read your review and take no offense in anything you wrote, with the possible exception where you said 'I'm sure you are a wonderful person in every way'. You see I am a very flawed person, like we all are!

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 07:29 PM

My review is overly dramatic. I wrote it in breathless fury. It's more incendiary than it needs to be. I was actually going for funny.

essentially, what I didn't like about the book:
1. I thought the main characters were hollow, one dimensional. For me, they were also unlikable. I actually was hoping that some combo of them would die.
2. The suspension of disbelief was quite extreme. I know that Little tried to cover off on why nobody is doing anything about the Mailman, but he didn't do it convincingly.
3. Like in The CIRCLE, the big baddie is revealed at the end to be completely harmless.
4. there's essentially no change from the first page to the last as far as character development
5. Little does more telling than showing
6. he's obsessed with tedious details
7. he's not a storyteller as much as he's an "event describer"
8. I think those last three points are all kinda saying the same thing
9. I guess, in short, there was nothing that Little put in there that actually got me invested in the story. I understood it and I get what he was going for. I just didn't care.

I think all of this gets to chemistry. While there were few things that were "technically" wrong with the book, I just couldn't line up behind Little and live in his version of Willis AZ.

This is a much more adult version of what I posted on Goodreads

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Ron,
You should be able to read Jeff's review here:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70716397-jeff-terry

Jeff,
I concur with Ron with regards to being offended. I liked it you, did not. I read your review and take no offense in anything you wrote, with the possible exception where you said 'I'm sure you are a wonderful person in every way'. You see I am a very flawed person, like we all are!

HAHAHAH OR you could read my review on Goodreads.

RonClinton
02-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Martin. Ok, yes, that was "unfiltered," Jeff, :D and there is certainly something to be said about that required suspension of disbelief in much of Little's work. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but I give you bonus points for sticking with it to the end to make a fair, informed judgment on it.

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic, I'd recommend the THE STORE (for similar but heightened themes if you found THE MAILMAN too quite or pointless) or THE IGNORED (for something very different than either THE MAILMAN or THE STORE and perhaps more to your liking).

That said, you're probably best chalking it up to a failed Love Connection to Little and move on. You're like Miss 86% who says to host Chuck Woolery, "Thanks, but no thanks."

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kaAhwCyd0Ao/hqdefault.jpg

jeffingoff
02-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Thanks, Martin. Ok, yes, that was "unfiltered," Jeff, :D and there is certainly something to be said about that required suspension of disbelief in much of Little's work. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but I give you bonus points for sticking with it to the end to make a fair, informed judgment on it.

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic, I'd recommend the THE STORE (for similar but heightened themes if you found THE MAILMAN too quite or pointless) or THE IGNORED (for something very different than either THE MAILMAN or THE STORE and perhaps more to your liking).

That said, you're probably best chalking it up to a failed Love Connection to Little and move on. You're like Miss 86% who says to host Chuck Woolery, "Thanks, but no thanks."

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kaAhwCyd0Ao/hqdefault.jpg

This is spectacular. I now know what I'll use for my profile pic. And I can't see how that guy wouldn't make a love connection every time. Be back in 2 minutes and 2 seconds!

[after 02:02]

And we're back. If I ever do try Little again, I'll try THE STORE. That's the other one that's been recommended to me a few times. But that's a big IF. I do hate giving up and with such loyal fans, it just might be possible for me to go on another date with Bentley.

TacomaDiver
02-18-2018, 02:55 PM
I’ll spare you all the amount of my travels yesterday, but I eventually found myself in Everett of all places. We first went to the Funko store to experience that craziness. And then we went to this amazing toy store called BobaKahn (it too me a while to figure out the name ...)

It was like walking into my childhood toy box - they had everything I used to have - and it was all for sale! Fortunately I didn’t buy anything (that Snake Eyes with wolf was VERY tempting!)

As I was waiting for the GF to pay for her two MLP figures (the reason we went actually) I was looking through some prints they had from a local artist and picked this up:

(Apologies if this comes out giant - posting from my iPad and sometimes this doesn’t work as designed ...)

Since I share an office, I have walls I’m allowed to decorate, and this will soon be joining all of the other prints I’m in the process of hanging up.

Brian861
02-18-2018, 04:06 PM
That's pretty cool, Jason!

TacomaDiver
02-18-2018, 04:13 PM
That's pretty cool, Jason!

Thanks man!

Martin
02-18-2018, 05:00 PM
That is a fantastic print. Congratulations!

HumphreyBear
02-18-2018, 09:30 PM
I love that print. It would look good on the wall of my office!

TacomaDiver
02-18-2018, 11:25 PM
Thank you! I thought it was great - especially since it's not bloody or disgusting and no one should complain about it at work (if they, I'll complain about their professional american football crap everywhere . . .)

HumphreyBear
02-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Thank you! I thought it was great - especially since it's not bloody or disgusting and no one should complain about it at work (if they, I'll complain about their professional american football crap everywhere . . .)

I like it so much I went looking for it and found it. Unfortunately, postage to Australia is about $70 so I'll hold off for now...

TacomaDiver
02-20-2018, 02:40 AM
I like it so much I went looking for it and found it. Unfortunately, postage to Australia is about $70 so I'll hold off for now...

$70???? I wonder if I could ship it cheaper than that ... because that seems a tad excessive.

slayn666
02-20-2018, 01:22 PM
$70???? I wonder if I could ship it cheaper than that ... because that seems a tad excessive.

International shipping has gotten outrageous. I shipped a copy of The Shining (CD Doubleday Years) to the UK and the cheapest option was just over $60.

Dan Hocker
02-20-2018, 03:08 PM
International shipping has gotten outrageous. I shipped a copy of The Shining (CD Doubleday Years) to the UK and the cheapest option was just over $60.

Yea The Shining would have had to go Priority Mail. Depending how big the print is though you should be able to ship it in a tube for maybe $30 give or take, if you ship it First Class package rates.

HumphreyBear
02-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Yea The Shining would have had to go Priority Mail. Depending how big the print is though you should be able to ship it in a tube for maybe $30 give or take, if you ship it First Class package rates.

International mail from the US is expensive. It's just something we have to live with. It certainly affects my buying choices - in many cases, the postage is more than the goods. Not much we can do about it.

In this case, there was only one option for postage on the website. I will look elsewhere...

Dan Hocker
02-20-2018, 09:06 PM
International mail from the US is expensive. It's just something we have to live with. It certainly affects my buying choices - in many cases, the postage is more than the goods. Not much we can do about it.

In this case, there was only one option for postage on the website. I will look elsewhere...

Yea it's pretty absurd. I think I said this in another thread, but we've found instances where it's cheaper to ship something to Canada from the UK than it is from the US. Which makes no sense at all.

c marvel
02-26-2018, 07:17 PM
While taking some vacation time I found two neat Dick Tracy comic strip paperbacks from 1977 and 1979 at the local comic book shop in Merced, CA. Dick Tracy #1 Meets Angeltop: Flattop's Little Girl written by Max Collins and Dick Tracy #2: Meets the Punks written by Max Collins. Meets the Punks has a damaged corner so I got a slight discount on that paperback. I've seen both of these on eBay, more than once, and have been quite tempted to buy them. I held off until stumbling upon them in Merced last week.

Cap

Martin
02-26-2018, 08:19 PM
While taking some vacation time I found two neat Dick Tracy comic strip paperbacks from 1977 and 1979 at the local comic book shop in Merced, CA. Dick Tracy #1 Meets Angeltop: Flattop's Little Girl written by Max Collins and Dick Tracy #2: Meets the Punks written by Max Collins. Meets the Punks has a damaged corner so I got a slight discount on that paperback. I've seen both of these on eBay, more than once, and have been quite tempted to buy them. I held off until stumbling upon them in Merced last week.

Cap

Congratulations, it is always nice to add items you covet!

RonClinton
02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
I just picked up the rare UK hardcover 1st of Gil Brewer's A KILLER IS LOOSE. Joins my full run of his vintage pbs and, as well, the inscribed-to-Harry-Whittington (another vintage, renowned noir/mystery author) hardcover 1st of Brewer's best novel, THE RED SCARF.

I found an on-line shot of the same book, so rather than take a pic of mine I'll be lazy and just post this one:

http://www.mysteryfile.com/GBrewer/Killer-hc

What? You don't know much about Brewer but are keen to know more? Well then, let me help with that :cool: -- here's a great write-up on him by Bill Pronzini, himself an outstanding mystery author:

http://www.mysteryfile.com/GBrewer/FW.html

TacomaDiver
02-27-2018, 02:45 AM
I've been slowly reacquainting myself with certain comic creators that I lost track of when I stopped paying attention to the world of comic books. Finishing certain series that I never finished (like Bone, Astro City, or Y the Last Man, as three examples.)

One creator that I have absolutely loved for years - Terry Moore - is still at it. His amazing Strangers in Paradise stories are starting back up again, and I recently acquired his Echo collection (a series I never read when it was released as individual issues. Another series of his just finished up - Motor Girl - and he was selling a signed and numbered omnibus edition on his website and I couldn't say no.

In addition to featuring an unique cover (compared to the collection comic stores will have,) you also go a signed print featuring an original drawing.

While the book itself isn't signed, it did come with a full color signed and numbered bookplate.

What I'm most excited about (and was actually the deciding factor in attending,) is that I'll be seeing him again on Thursday at Emerald City Comic Con. The last time I saw him was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe. So it's been awhile.

Martin
02-27-2018, 04:07 AM
I've been slowly reacquainting myself with certain comic creators that I lost track of when I stopped paying attention to the world of comic books. Finishing certain series that I never finished (like Bone, Astro City, or Y the Last Man, as three examples.)

One creator that I have absolutely loved for years - Terry Moore - is still at it. His amazing Strangers in Paradise stories are starting back up again, and I recently acquired his Echo collection (a series I never read when it was released as individual issues. Another series of his just finished up - Motor Girl - and he was selling a signed and numbered omnibus edition on his website and I couldn't say no.

In addition to featuring an unique cover (compared to the collection comic stores will have,) you also go a signed print featuring an original drawing.

While the book itself isn't signed, it did come with a full color signed and numbered bookplate.

What I'm most excited about (and was actually the deciding factor in attending,) is that I'll be seeing him again on Thursday at Emerald City Comic Con. The last time I saw him was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe. So it's been awhile.

Love that art. Have a good time at ECCC!

TacomaDiver
02-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Love that art. Have a good time at ECCC!

I'm excited to go! The last time I went (when I first saw Terry Moore) was before ECCC became a "thing" and it was MUCH smaller and less chaotic (I have opinions about comic conventions . . . and the lack of emphasis on COMICS . . .)

It's going to be a LONG day though - after ECCC, I have a Sounders match to yell at, and then a 4:10am wake up call the next day.

RonClinton
02-27-2018, 11:45 PM
This makes bookcase #18, I believe. Yes, I have a patient and tolerant wife. ;)

https://s17.postimg.org/8dqn14lsv/87_D27_C9_C-300_C-47_B6-_AC5_B-4_B9_A870_C7023.jpg

c marvel
02-28-2018, 04:15 AM
Today was a good thrift store shopping day. I got four items one of which is The Hittites by O. R. Gurney. It's an ex-library Folio Society book in fine shape. Cost=$1.

Cap

Sock Monkey
02-28-2018, 04:19 AM
This makes bookcase #18, I believe. Yes, I have a patient and tolerant wife. ;)

https://s17.postimg.org/8dqn14lsv/87_D27_C9_C-300_C-47_B6-_AC5_B-4_B9_A870_C7023.jpg

Very nice! I’ve been looking at adding some new and/or better bookshelves lately, but everything I like is pretty pricey.

mhatchett
02-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Very nice! I’ve been looking at adding some new and/or better bookshelves lately, but everything I like is pretty pricey.

Thrift stores, craigslist, consignment shops!!

RonClinton
02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Thrift stores, craigslist, consignment shops!!

Yep. This particular one was a CL find...others have mostly been bought new, but this is, I think, the fifth or sixth one I've picked up from one of the three listed above. These barrister-style ones don't show up often, so you have to keep an eye out if you're in the market, but they *do* show up.

RonClinton
03-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Received Centipede Press' newest MASTERS OF THE WEIRD TALE series, this signed/#d volume featuring Arthur J. Burks. Apparently made up primarily of his weird menace tales from the pulps, this MotWT volume is only my third MotWT volume (the others being Karl Edward Wagner and Carl Jacobi) and I'm very excited and pleased to have it. I have Burks' Arkham House collection, BLACK MEDICINE, but this will be a much greater exposure to his work and I'm looking forward to it.

As usual (and particularly with these MotWT volumes), the production quality of this oversized tome is a stunner:

https://s17.postimg.org/n5sn7tfr3/burks1.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/vo23c5tzj/burks2.jpg

A good deal of the art -- though not all -- is instantly recognizable as by the amazing Lee Brown Coye:

https://s17.postimg.org/wqc9upkin/burks3.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/ldzocxjjj/burks4.jpg

mhatchett
03-07-2018, 10:56 PM
I wish, I had gotten that Wagner title LOL!!

RonClinton
03-08-2018, 05:06 AM
I wish, I had gotten that Wagner title LOL!!

Yeah, I’ve been pretty selective with these volumes, but am very glad I got the Wagner and the other two. I do kinda wish I’d bought the Frank B. Long, but <shrug>.

TacomaDiver
03-08-2018, 08:17 PM
The boys in the warehouse have been busy.

This week I have received:

Two Sleeping Beauties slipcases
Two copies of The Listener (because I've reached that point in collecting that even with a list, I still have no idea what I have on order!)
My signed limited of Headhunter Reimagined
PS's latest edition of The Colorado Kid
Shipping notice for The Shining Portfolio

Amazon has also brought:
The Sandman by Lars Kepler (heard about this on Twitter - it sounded like a good one)
Michelle McNamara (Patton Oswalt's wife who recently passed away)'s I'll Be Gone in the Dark (I really wished that I could have gone to the reading last night, but soccer took priority . . .)
Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston (I think this is the GF's since I have zero idea what this is . . .)

Whew!

c marvel
03-15-2018, 05:58 AM
I traded with someone at the Facebook group and got THE BOOKING BY RAMSEY CAMPBELL - BLACK LABYRINTH BOOK III. It's a Dark Regions Press signed, numbered hardcover. In a separate purchase I got The Invasion/The Valley by William Meikle which is a Dark Regions Press double (A flipbook). I've never read anything by William Meikle so I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this flipbook.

Cap

mhatchett
03-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Good Job!!

c marvel
03-15-2018, 11:23 PM
In today's mail I got Guns of Shadow Valley, a huge oversized hardcover by Dave Wachter and James Andrew Clark 20526
and I also got Nightmare Carnival edited by Ellen Datlow. These are both nick & dent items I found at Things From Another World.

Cap

Martin
03-16-2018, 02:51 AM
In today's mail I got Guns of Shadow Valley, a huge oversized hardcover by Dave Wachter and James Andrew Clark 20526
and I also got Nightmare Carnival edited by Ellen Datlow. These are both nick & dent items I found at Things From Another World.

Cap

Congratulations, I hope Things From Another World took good care of you. The Dark Horse headquarters are a couple of blocks from the High School I went to and I love stopping into TFAW stores when I am near one.

c marvel
03-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Dirty Coppers by Richard Chizmar & Ed Gorman. It is signed, hopefully by both authors. I'd never heard of this novella? before. I'd guess it's a novella since it is only 97 pages.

Cap

Martin
03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Dirty Coppers by Richard Chizmar & Ed Gorman. It is signed, hopefully by both authors. I'd never heard of this novella? before. I'd guess it's a novella since it is only 97 pages.

Cap

I have always been intrigued by that one. I will pick it up at some point. Great find!

RonClinton
03-21-2018, 02:57 PM

Cap

Itís a good one; I think youíll enjoy it.

c marvel
03-22-2018, 06:20 AM
In today's mail I got Teen-Age Vice! (Designs in Scarlet) by Courtney Ryler Cooper. It's a vintage non fiction Pyramid Giant book in great condition. J. Edgar Hoover is mentioned on the front cover. I had a good laugh when I opened this package. Ooh-the things this paperback exposes....

Cap

Brian861
03-22-2018, 10:55 PM
I suck at searching for threads so couldn't find one for the Novella Series. I see on the website that Dog Days O' Summer is sold out. I don't recall this title ever being announced.

Martin
03-23-2018, 02:56 AM
I suck at searching for threads so couldn't find one for the Novella Series. I see on the website that Dog Days O' Summer is sold out. I don't recall this title ever being announced.

I got a notification in late February that it was going to be announced but I was already getting one as part of a book club that I had ordered. I do not recall a general announcement. They may have offered the remaining available to people who had purchased Novella series directly from them or people who have purchased the authors on the past and sold out. Not really sure but that may be it.

TacomaDiver
03-23-2018, 03:40 AM
I've been out of town the last week, so when I got home this afternoon, I had all sorts of treasures waiting for:

Nothing O'Clock by Neil Gaiman from Borderlands. Just as with my Joe Hill Little Book, this one was mailed in a padded envelope - come on, guys! Use a box! I know ULine says boxes . . .
The Shining Portfolio from CD - did anyone else's not come put together? Just seems odd that the prints weren't put into the folder and the folder was "built" Plus, CD wasn't able to honor my number request so now I have unmatched portfolio. (I'm not pleased.)
Impossible Monsters from Sub Press - I got the signed edition (signed by Kasey Lansdale, Joe Lansdale, Neil Gaiman and others.
Impossible Monsters - this time I also go the trade edition. The eBay listing said it was signed by Joe Lansdale (and one other,) but my copy isn't signed and the title pages where it's supposed to be signed doesn't match the listing . . .
A Little Green Book of Monster Stories - it arrived! And one of the best packaging jobs ever, especially for a tiny little book (Borderlands - if you need help in packaging, I can get you the seller's information . . .)
Christmas with the Dead from PS Publishing - signed and numbered by Lansdale
Christmas Monkeys from PS Publishing - signed by Lansdale and Pete Von Sholly

Speaking of Lansdale, a while back I got a really good deal on a great copy of Private Eye Action As You Like It. It's just the softcover version (the HC is a bit out of my price range at the moment) but it's signed and limited.

My Lansdale collection inches closer to be "complete."

And then tonight, I visited my local Half Price Books and picked up In the Shadows of Frankenstein - features the full Frankenstein novel, plus many other stories about cursed creations - it sounded like a lot of fun. I also picked up what was labeled as a First Thus edition of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Not 100% sure what the notation means, but I know it's not THE first printing, just A first printing. It'll more than suffice as a replacement to my Sci-Fi Book Club edition that I've owned since 1992 or so.

I also bought six soaps for $18 at Bath and Body Works, but I don't think anyone cares about that . . .

Martin
03-23-2018, 04:21 AM
I've been out of town the last week, so when I got home this afternoon, I had all sorts of treasures waiting for:

Nothing O'Clock by Neil Gaiman from Borderlands. Just as with my Joe Hill Little Book, this one was mailed in a padded envelope - come on, guys! Use a box! I know ULine says boxes . . .
The Shining Portfolio from CD - did anyone else's not come put together? Just seems odd that the prints weren't put into the folder and the folder was "built" Plus, CD wasn't able to honor my number request so now I have unmatched portfolio. (I'm not pleased.)
Impossible Monsters from Sub Press - I got the signed edition (signed by Kasey Lansdale, Joe Lansdale, Neil Gaiman and others.
Impossible Monsters - this time I also go the trade edition. The eBay listing said it was signed by Joe Lansdale (and one other,) but my copy isn't signed and the title pages where it's supposed to be signed doesn't match the listing . . .
A Little Green Book of Monster Stories - it arrived! And one of the best packaging jobs ever, especially for a tiny little book (Borderlands - if you need help in packaging, I can get you the seller's information . . .)
Christmas with the Dead from PS Publishing - signed and numbered by Lansdale
Christmas Monkeys from PS Publishing - signed by Lansdale and Pete Von Sholly

Speaking of Lansdale, a while back I got a really good deal on a great copy of Private Eye Action As You Like It. It's just the softcover version (the HC is a bit out of my price range at the moment) but it's signed and limited.

My Lansdale collection inches closer to be "complete."

And then tonight, I visited my local Half Price Books and picked up In the Shadows of Frankenstein - features the full Frankenstein novel, plus many other stories about cursed creations - it sounded like a lot of fun. I also picked up what was labeled as a First Thus edition of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Not 100% sure what the notation means, but I know it's not THE first printing, just A first printing. It'll more than suffice as a replacement to my Sci-Fi Book Club edition that I've owned since 1992 or so.

I also bought six soaps for $18 at Bath and Body Works, but I don't think anyone cares about that . . .

I believe CD is now shipping all the portfolios without the art inserted. They had an issue with some warehouse help not being careful and the holders tearing a while back. Dan can correct me if I am wrong.

TacomaDiver
03-23-2018, 04:44 AM
That does make sense - I just don’t remember reading that the we’re going to do it that way. Not that that it matters much

Thanks for that info.

I believe CD is now shipping all the portfolios without the art inserted. They had an issue with some warehouse help not being careful and the holders tearing a while back. Dan can correct me if I am wrong.

Sock Monkey
03-23-2018, 04:48 AM

Hey, I care! Bath and Body Works soaps are awesome!

RonClinton
03-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Picked up this James Crumley thin hardcover at a recent book sale. As-new, 25 pages of a "work in progress," 1/200 signed and numbered copies by Lord John Press. Runs around $100 on ABE and the usual suspects, I picked it up for five bucks. Hard to beat that deal.

https://d3525k1ryd2155.cloudfront.net/h/583/354/860354583.0.l.jpg

(stock photo found on the web)

Other recent acquisitions include Michael Chislett's CITY OF GHOSTS, Sarob Press HC, and McCammon's THE LISTENER (which I'm reading right now and loving).

TacomaDiver
03-23-2018, 03:28 PM
I appreciate your support!! :)

Hey, I care! Bath and Body Works soaps are awesome!

Dan Hocker
03-23-2018, 03:33 PM
That does make sense - I just don’t remember reading that the we’re going to do it that way. Not that that it matters much

Thanks for that info.

We never really posted about it. It wasn't as much about help messing it up as much as it was that shipping was messing them up. It started with Carrie, but was rampant on Salems' Lot, mostly because there were actually too many prints in that one. We just decided to ship them all outside the folder for this one to avoid that problem entirely. It's the downside to the type of folders we used, but then again had we used fancier folders, we would have had to charge a lot more.

Martin
03-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Picked up this James Crumley thin hardcover at a recent book sale. As-new, 25 pages of a "work in progress," 1/200 signed and numbered copies by Lord John Press. Runs around $100 on ABE and the usual suspects, I picked it up for five bucks. Hard to beat that deal.

Other recent acquisitions include Michael Chislett's CITY OF GHOSTS, Sarob Press HC, and McCammon's THE LISTENER (which I'm reading right now and loving).

Very nice find!

Martin
03-23-2018, 03:36 PM
I appreciate your support!! :)

I am sure those near you appreciate your use of soap as well! Now I have the 'Fruity Soaps' from Waking Ned Devine in my head.

mhatchett
03-23-2018, 03:47 PM

Love Crumley!! I bought all those books when they first came out and have hung onto them for years! Kent Anderson, Richard Russo, early James Lee Burke, Jamie Harrison, great writers!!

RonClinton
03-23-2018, 03:52 PM
I got a notification in late February that it was going to be announced but I was already getting one as part of a book club that I had ordered. I do not recall a general announcement. They may have offered the remaining available to people who had purchased Novella series directly from them or people who have purchased the authors on the past and sold out. Not really sure but that may be it.

I hope it's not the case that this one is Sold Out and will not be offered to the general public, though that does appear to be the case. I've been collecting the Novella series since the first volume, and I'd hate to think I'm going to get shut out because I don't belong to the secret-handshake club. I know I have the ability to be part of the club if I want to pay for it, but for better or worse that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Dan Hocker
03-23-2018, 03:57 PM
I hope it's not the case that this one is Sold Out and will not be offered to the general public, though that does appear to be the case. I've been collecting the Novella series since the first volume, and I'd hate to think I'm going to get shut out because I don't belong to the secret-handshake club. I know I have the ability to be part of the club if I want to pay for it, but for better or worse that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm pretty positive we offered this one to anyone who purchased the last book in the Novella series from us. If you didn't get that email or just missed it shoot me an email, I'm pretty sure we held onto a few for instances like these.

RonClinton
03-23-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty positive we offered this one to anyone who purchased the last book in the Novella series from us. If you didn't get that email or just missed it shoot me an email, I'm pretty sure we held onto a few for instances like these.

Thanks, Dan, but, no, I’ve been getting mine from a bookseller. I appreciate the reply, though; hopefully some will hit the aftermarket.

Dan Hocker
03-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Dan, but, no, I’ve been getting mine from a bookseller. I appreciate the reply, though; hopefully some will hit the aftermarket.

Ahh which bookseller. I believe I offered them to all of our retailers (or at least the ones with standing orders).

RonClinton
03-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Ahh which bookseller. I believe I offered them to all of our retailers (or at least the ones with standing orders).

Camelot, but it’s not on the reoccurring same-number program. I’ll get in touch with her and see if she has some copies. Thanks.

mhatchett
03-24-2018, 07:31 PM
The Subterranean Press grab bag has arrived, It feels weighty, fortuitous. I wrestle it into the Living room, with a practiced flip of the wrist, I open my constant companion, the Gerber Applegate-Fairburn combat knife. I slice the packing tape, not to deep, don’t want to damage the books, too shallow and you have to do it again.
“your going to hurt yourself with that knife. Be careful.” Wives!
The box explodes. Hated packing peanuts all over the floor. Plastic bags and packing peanuts the scourge of modern man. Another reason I like Centipede Press, they use bubble wrap lol!! And now the moment I’ve been waiting 12 days for.
So, what do we have. Not the jack-pot I was hoping for, no McCammon, Abercrombie, Brett or Scalzi. I did get: Station Eleven Emilt St. John Mandel, Heroes and Villains Lewis Shiner, Perdido Peter Straub, The emperor and the Maula Robert Silverberg, Penric’s Mission Lois McMaster Bujold, The Compleat Crow Brian Lumley, River’s Edge James P. Blaylock, Eternity’s Wheel Neil Gaiman, et al, Lost Soul Kelly Armstrong, The Unorthodox Dr. Draper and other stories William Browning Spencer and The Millennium Express 1995-2009 Robert Silverberg.
Not over joyed, but not completely disappointed.
Have a great Weekend everybody!!

Tried to upload some photos but they wouldn't take. I'll try again later.

TacomaDiver
03-26-2018, 05:33 PM
After what proved to be a whirlwind experience - I just acquired one of those hard to find - never seen one for sale - items that gets me closer to "completing" my Joe Lansdale collection:

The Cases of Dana Roberts chapbook!

Of course, this gets to me practically the same day that this (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/269368/exclusive-cover-reveal-joe-and-kasey-lansdales-terror-is-our-business-dana-roberts-casebook-of-horrors/) is announced (or at least I found out about it) . . . it's almost like the universe is mocking my collecting . . .

Martin
03-26-2018, 05:49 PM
After what proved to be a whirlwind experience - I just acquired one of those hard to find - never seen one for sale - items that gets me closer to "completing" my Joe Lansdale collection:

Of course, this gets to me practically the same day that this (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/269368/exclusive-cover-reveal-joe-and-kasey-lansdales-terror-is-our-business-dana-roberts-casebook-of-horrors/) is announced (or at least I found out about it) . . . it's almost like the universe is mocking my collecting . . .

Congratulations, I have never heard of that one.

RonClinton
03-26-2018, 06:40 PM

Congrats — that is indeed a tough one to find! I’m in for that new one you mention, but only because I’ve had no luck finding the one you picked up. :(

TacomaDiver
03-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Congratulations, I have never heard of that one.

It was only available when you purchased the LE of Sub Press's Tales of Dark Fantasy 2. It was limited to 250 copies, so I assume that there is only 250 of these as well (no numbering, not signed.)

It'll look nice next to my Little Green Book of Monster Stories. :)

TacomaDiver
03-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Congrats — that is indeed a tough one to find! I’m in for that new one you mention, but only because I’ve had no luck finding the one you picked up. :(

Thanks!

I'm surprised how hard this was to find - 250 copies (assuming based on copies of LE ToDF2) - it's not that limited compared to other Lansdale books I have.

Brian861
03-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Thanks!

I'm surprised how hard this was to find - 250 copies (assuming based on copies of LE ToDF2) - it's not that limited compared to other Lansdale books I have.

Congrats, Jason!

daverob
03-27-2018, 03:57 PM
That’s a really nice looking edition. Congrats!

c marvel
04-03-2018, 04:20 PM
This was on sale at the Centipede Press site. It's the unsigned version. Does anyone now the page count? I didn't see that info. listed.
Cornell Woolrich - Stories to Be Whispered.

Cap

RonClinton
04-03-2018, 05:22 PM
This was on sale at the Centipede Press site. It's the unsigned version. Does anyone now the page count? I didn't see that info. listed.
Cornell Woolrich - Stories to Be Whispered.

Cap

Just checked my copy...485 pages.

Marmaduke Grigsby
04-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Today's mail: Lost and Lonely by Brian James Freeman. Signed by Brian and Glenn Chadbourne. Nice illustrations throughout. I confess that I haven't yet read any of Brian's writing, so I am anxious to dig into this one.

Martin
04-11-2018, 02:38 AM
Today's mail: Lost and Lonely by Brian James Freeman. Signed by Brian and Glenn Chadbourne. Nice illustrations throughout. I confess that I haven't yet read any of Brian's writing, so I am anxious to dig into this one.

I think you will like Brian's writing, his stories always evoke emotions for me.

c marvel
04-12-2018, 06:51 AM
In today's mail I got the Centipede Press book I previously mentioned-Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich, Volume Two. It's a very impressive looking book. I also got another Dark Regions Double-The Blue Heron by Gene O'Neill & The Crucifixion Experiments by Gord Rollo.

Cap

bookworm 1
04-15-2018, 11:26 AM
In today's mail I got the Centipede Press book I previously mentioned-Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich, Volume Two. It's a very impressive looking book. I also got another Dark Regions Double-The Blue Heron by Gene O'Neill & The Crucifixion Experiments by Gord Rollo.

Cap

I have that Dark Regions Double also. I really need to get to it. I th I k Gord Rollo is another author who doesn't get enough attention. The Jigsaw Man is one of my favorite books. You can't go wrong with Gene O'Neill either. His Taste of Tenderloin is an absolutely wonderful collection of stories.

Martin
04-15-2018, 04:40 PM
I have that Dark Regions Double also. I really need to get to it. I th I k Gord Rollo is another author who doesn't get enough attention. The Jigsaw Man is one of my favorite books. You can't go wrong with Gene O'Neill either. His Taste of Tenderloin is an absolutely wonderful collection of stories.

I am going to post my box in my collection thread so if you do not want a spoiler avoid it until you get yours.

bookworm 1
04-15-2018, 08:32 PM
I am going to post my box in my collection thread so if you do not want a spoiler avoid it until you get yours.

Thanks for the heads up.

HumphreyBear
04-20-2018, 12:27 AM
I received my CD Grab Bag parts one and two yesterday.
Some double ups - Copy #3 of Gwendy (signed), The Influence - Bently Little, and another signed Brian Hodge - I'll bring you the birds from out of the sky.

The others all look pretty cool. All signed limiteds.
Headhunter - Michael Slade
Widow's Point - RC and BC (already read a kindle version and loved it, so very happy to receive it).
The Ones who are waving - Glen Hirshberg
Whispered Echoes - Paul F. Olsen
The Slave Tree - Alan Peter Ryan

Now I just need to find some time to read them.

I had to duck out from work for an errand yesterday so I stopped at a local charity shop and grabbed a nice first of Scott Smith's A Simple Plan.

TacomaDiver
04-21-2018, 11:19 PM
Got some fun books the last couple of days - maybe I'll get some pictures up -

First, I got the Sub Press version of N.K. Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate. The numbered edition matches my copy of The Fifth Season, also from Sub Press.

Speaking of Sub Press, last night their signed edition of Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others. It has a neat die cut cover that I'll have to figure out how to wrap. (Disappointed that I forgot to ask to match my number to his Liking What You see that I got form ACK I forget who published this little book.)

And today, the mail lady brought me the hardcover version of Joe Lansdale's Private Eye Action. I already had one of the paperbacks (which I got because the price was good, and the hardcovers were a lot harder to come by) but this hardcover became available and I got it for a good price. So win!

RonClinton
04-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Received the signed/#d HC of ROUGH TRADE by Robert Silverberg (PS Pub.).
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/512Hu3b0YXL._SX427_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

jeffingoff
04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
I just lost my mind.
I bought a bunch of Lansdale from eBay, SubPress, and SST.
In the last week I bought the following Lansdale books:
The James Cahill edition of TWO BEAR MAMBO
The Borderlands edition of MAGIC WAGON
THE LONG ONES published by Necro Publications
The SST graphic novel of I TELL YOU IT'S LOVE
And the new collection by Subpress Driving to Geronimo's Grave And Other Stories

From SST, I also bought VOICES OF THE DAMNED by Barbie Wilde. I was completely intrigued by what I read about this book and it has art by Clive Barker and Daniele Serra and other super talented artists.

I need to step away and cool my credit card.

RonClinton
04-23-2018, 04:16 PM
I just lost my mind.

Well done...these two are terrific. Will be very interested to get your take on THE MAGIC WAGON.

I still need to put my reservation in for the GERONIMO collection; just saw that this morning.

jeffingoff
04-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Well done...these two are terrific. Will be very interested to get your take on THE MAGIC WAGON.

I still need to put my reservation in for the GERONIMO collection; just saw that this morning.

The problem with ordering THE LONG ONES is that I spent $80 on four stories that I will get in other volumes. Three are in the SST collection I preordered, COSMIC INTERRUPTIONS.

**EDIT: Only two are in COSMIC INTERRUPTIONS. But still . . .

TacomaDiver
04-23-2018, 11:09 PM
The problem with ordering THE LONG ONES is that I spent $80 on four stories that I will get in other volumes. Three are in the SST collection I preordered, COSMIC INTERRUPTIONS.

I’ve had the book on my watch list for about a year now. Just couldn’t pull the trigger at $80. On hand hand I’m glad you did, but on the other hand curses!

RonClinton
04-24-2018, 12:29 AM

Yeah, that’s the problem with Lansdale and his various collections…there is indeed a lot of overlap. That’s actually why I have pretty much decided to pass on the SST volumes…they look pretty cool, but I have almost certainly nearly all the contents in my dozens of other Lansdale collections. Got to draw the line somewhere…

Sock Monkey
04-24-2018, 04:45 AM
I just lost my mind.
I bought a bunch of Lansdale from eBay, SubPress, and SST.
In the last week I bought the following Lansdale books:
The James Cahill edition of TWO BEAR MAMBO
The SST graphic novel of I TELL YOU IT'S LOVE
And the new collection by Subpress Driving to Geronimo's Grave And Other Stories

From SST, I also bought VOICES OF THE DAMNED by Barbie Wilde. I was completely intrigued by what I read about this book and it has art by Clive Barker and Daniele Serra and other super talented artists.

I need to step away and cool my credit card.

Wow. Nice lineup. Iím that close to pulling the trigger on SSTís Paradise Sky and the new collection from Sub Press. I just dropped $300+ on books from Centipede (the two new Ramsey Campbell books and the second Fafhrd book) and with more going their way with the new Kiernan going on sale this weekend so Iím a little trigger shy right now.

Sock Monkey
04-24-2018, 04:47 AM
Yeah, that’s the problem with Lansdale and his various collections…there is indeed a lot of overlap. That’s actually why I have pretty much decided to pass on the SST volumes…they look pretty cool, but I have almost certainly nearly all the contents in my dozens of other Lansdale collections. Got to draw the line somewhere…

Yeah, the overlap kinda drives me crazy. Really wish someone would do a “Complete Short Fiction” series of his so I could get it all without having to dig through multiple TOCs to see if the book is a “must have” or not.

jeffingoff
04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
I’ve had the book on my watch list for about a year now. Just couldn’t pull the trigger at $80. On hand hand I’m glad you did, but on the other hand curses!

The seller I bought it from also had it listed on Abe's Books for the same price. The next lowest price, both on Abe's and eBay was $119. While I'm glad to get it at the lowest price, I can't help but wonder--why is it 50% cheaper? Paranoia and addiction are both at play here!

jeffingoff
04-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Those SST volumes are perfect for new Lansdale collectors like me. It's my hope that after all four are published, they'll contain a complete set of his short stories. Or near complete. Which means I need to stay away from other previously published collections.

jeffingoff
04-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Yeah, the overlap kinda drives me crazy. Really wish someone would do a “Complete Short Fiction” series of his so I could get it all without having to dig through multiple TOCs to see if the book is a “must have” or not.

I'm hoping that's what the four volume set from SST will be.

RonClinton
04-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Those SST volumes are perfect for new Lansdale collectors like me. It's my hope that after all four are published, they'll contain a complete set of his short stories. Or near complete. Which means I need to stay away from other previously published collections.

Exactly. If I was just starting out with Lansdale, this set would definitely be the way to go, rather than picking up his numerous collections with varying degrees of overlap.

HumphreyBear
04-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Well, having read the last few comments, and having not a single Lansdale book in my collection, I have just laid down some hard earned on the first SST volume.

RonClinton
04-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Finally picked up Melanie Tem’s SINGULARITY AND OTHER STORIES, Centipede Press S/L HC.

Sock Monkey
04-27-2018, 03:07 PM
Finally picked up Melanie Tem’s SINGULARITY AND OTHER STORIES, Centipede Press S/L HC.

Very nice! It's still on my list to pick up, but it will probably have to wait a bit for funds to become available.

RonClinton
04-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Very nice! It's still on my list to pick up, but it will probably have to wait a bit for funds to become available.

I wasn't in a particular hurry to get it, though had kept an eye out for a deal on one since its release, even though, as you know, "deals" on Centipede books is kind of a unicorn search. However, I was fortunate enough to find on eBay a Buy-It-Now auction on a copy for $45, or half of cover price (well, a bit above half of $85 (?) cover but certainly half of the $100 it's going for on the aftermarket), and still in Fine/Fine condition (arrived a couple days ago, and it is indeed as advertised). It'll join her husband's Centipede collection that I also have, OUT OF THE DARK. I don't have their combo collection, IN CONCERT.

Sock Monkey
04-27-2018, 03:34 PM
I wasn't in a particular hurry to get it, though had kept an eye out for a deal on one since its release, even though, as you know, "deals" on Centipede books is kind of a unicorn search. However, I was fortunate enough to find on eBay a Buy-It-Now auction on a copy for $45, or half of cover price (well, a bit above half of $85 (?) cover but certainly half of the $100 it's going for on the aftermarket), and still in Fine/Fine condition (arrived a couple days ago, and it is indeed as advertised). It'll join her husband's Centipede collection that I also have, OUT OF THE DARK. I don't have their combo collection, IN CONCERT.

Ah, so you're the one you snagged that copy! I was watching that listing, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not. Great addition at a great price! Congratulations!

RonClinton
04-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Ah, so you're the one you snagged that copy! I was watching that listing, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not.

Hate to gloat, but: :cool:

The guy had some other Centipede titles as well at nice prices, but I had all the others (or at least the ones I need).

Sock Monkey
04-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Hate to gloat, but: :cool:

The guy had some other Centipede titles as well at nice prices, but I had all the others (or at least the ones I need).

No, gloat away! That was a heck of a deal! :)

c marvel
04-28-2018, 05:50 AM
I took advantage of Friday's CD promotion and order the signed trade hardcover of The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss.

Cap

slayn666
04-28-2018, 05:48 PM
I wasn't in a particular hurry to get it, though had kept an eye out for a deal on one since its release, even though, as you know, "deals" on Centipede books is kind of a unicorn search.

So long as you aren't looking for grail-level titles (like Gene Wolfe), I find a little patience pays off with decent discounts (even if it's a "discount" back to list price).

Sock Monkey
04-29-2018, 04:23 AM
I took advantage of Friday's CD promotion and order the signed trade hardcover of The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss.

Cap

Good choice!

I’m continuing my tenure as “Captain On-The-Fence”. Trying to decide to go with a couple of books from CD or go with a couple Centipede titles off eBay.

Sock Monkey
04-29-2018, 04:27 AM
So long as you aren't looking for grail-level titles (like Gene Wolfe), I find a little patience pays off with decent discounts (even if it's a "discount" back to list price).

True, though I still have yet to find a copy of A Mountain Walked at anywhere near list price. And I’ve been patient, dang it.

RonClinton
04-29-2018, 06:16 AM
True, though I still have yet to find a copy of A Mountain Walked at anywhere near list price. And I’ve been patient, dang it.

I have that one...and, yeah, if I ever sold that one, it’d be, ahem, just a bit above list. ;-)

khaos
04-30-2018, 05:18 PM
I grabbed a copy of Weed Species by Jack Ketchum yesterday at a book show. Had a small Chadbourne illustration too.

Martin
04-30-2018, 05:32 PM
I grabbed a copy of Weed Species by Jack Ketchum yesterday at a book show. Had a small Chadbourne illustration too.

Cool illustration. I really enjoyed that story.

RonClinton
04-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Very nice; gotta love (the late) Ketchum.

Here's what showed up on my doorstep this weekend...one of 64 signed and numbered oversized hardcovers from Thunderstorm Books.

https://s14.postimg.cc/n196r0d01/sickhouse.jpg

jeffingoff
04-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Here's what showed up on my doorstep this weekend...one of 64 signed and numbered oversized hardcovers from Thunderstorm Books.

Someday I'll add a Thunderstorm book to my collection. Just don't know if what they do is what I dig.

RonClinton
04-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Someday I'll add a Thunderstorm book to my collection. Just don't know if what they do is what I dig.

I'm very selective w/ Thunderstorm because A). they're expensive so I have to choose wisely, and B). most of the authors this largely micro-press publisher publishes don't interest me. I have probably only half-a-dozen Thunderstorm titles, so that gives some idea just how selective I am. That said, I really like Jeff Strand's work, so this one was an easy decision...I also have their Strand volume from last year, a short-story collection called EVERYTHING HAS TEETH.

On an objective level, though, their production quality is pretty high, with beautiful endpapers and nice jacket art...I frankly wish they had more authors I liked so I could be a more regular customer. Though for my wallet's sake, I suppose that's just as well.

khaos
04-30-2018, 07:02 PM

I buy a few of their books. All are very nice and great quality. Great service too. I pick and choose as I can't afford them all. I stick to buying everything Brian Keene, Kelli Owen, and just finished a Jonathan Janz imprint. A few others as I can afford them but mostly those 3 authors somehow. If you like westerns I highly recommend something in his Douglas Western line. I picked up the most recent and it's amazing work.

jeffingoff
04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the thoughts on Thunderstorm. I'm subscribed to their newsletter and I check the site every so often. Seems only a matter of time before I jump in.

Martin
04-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Actually Paul has a pretty diverse group of authors he works with. Kealan Patrick Burke, Ronald Kelly and Jonathan Janz are a few you may dig. They produce beautiful books and Paul is great to deal with as well.

saginawhorror
04-30-2018, 08:41 PM
I collected the elementals and the chapbooks. I have a few other titles including Clickers Forever.

RonClinton
04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Actually Paul has a pretty diverse group of authors he works with. Kealan Patrick Burke, Ronald Kelly and Jonathan Janz are a few you may dig. They produce beautiful books and Paul is great to deal with as well.

The ones I have are by Ronald Mafli, Sarah Pinborough, Brian Keene, Jeff Strand, Kealan P. Burke, Ronald Kelly...I think that's it. Come to think of it, looks like I have more Thunderstorm books than the six I indicated above I thought I had...guess it's probably closer to ten.

jeffingoff
04-30-2018, 09:26 PM
The ones I have are by Ronald Mafli, Sarah Pinborough, Brian Keene, Jeff Strand, Kealan P. Burke, Ronald Kelly...I think that's it. Come to think of it, looks like I have more Thunderstorm books than the six I indicated above I thought I had...guess it's probably closer to ten.

Sarah Pinborough? Interesting. I have her Earthling book They Say a Girl Died Here Once and I liked it a lot.

mhatchett
04-30-2018, 10:23 PM
I bought the complete Western series and the Ron Kelly essentials a few odds and ends. Nice books all around.

bookworm 1
04-30-2018, 10:35 PM

https://s14.postimg.cc/n196r0d01/sickhouse.jpg

Very nice looking book. I love Jeff Strand. He really knows how to balance horror and humor better then just about anyone.

mhatchett
05-01-2018, 12:16 AM
so, I now own a copy of Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews Edited by Sam Weller, signed by Ray Bradbury to Charlton Heston...Life is so weird LOL!!20745

RonClinton
05-01-2018, 12:23 AM
the Ron Kelly essentials

I kinda wish I would've ordered that set. I even had an opportunity to buy a complete set in the aftermarket for a decent price a year or two ago, and again passed it up. Glutton for disappointment, I guess.

TacomaDiver
05-01-2018, 03:48 AM
Most of you are probably aware of my obsession with David Petersen - and I'm constantly on the lookout for more pieces. Luckily (or unluckily,) he's got A LOT of pieces, so there are still a ton of items I don't have.

Today, eBay delivered two recent acquisitions - one fairly common - and the second is far less common.

First - the common item - his variant cover to the TMNT Usagi Yojimo one shot:

And the second one - the one I'm REALLY EXCITED to have - a poster he did for Mondo for Disney's The Rescuers:

This one has received the GF's thumbs up - which means I need to find appropriate wall space to frame and hang it up. I have a feeling my Doctor Who poster is going to be rotated out and back into a cardboard tube.

Martin
05-01-2018, 04:29 AM
Most of you are probably aware of my obsession with David Petersen - and I'm constantly on the lookout for more pieces. Luckily (or unluckily,) he's got A LOT of pieces, so there are still a ton of items I don't have.

Today, eBay delivered two recent acquisitions - one fairly common - and the second is far less common.

First - the common item - his variant cover to the TMNT Usagi Yojimo one shot:

And the second one - the one I'm REALLY EXCITED to have - a poster he did for Mondo for Disney's The Rescuers:

This one has received the GF's thumbs up - which means I need to find appropriate wall space to frame and hang it up. I have a feeling my Doctor Who poster is going to be rotated out and back into a cardboard tube.

Nice!

Sock Monkey
05-01-2018, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the thoughts on Thunderstorm. I'm subscribed to their newsletter and I check the site every so often. Seems only a matter of time before I jump in.

I guess I’ll throw my two cents in as well. I was a pretty avid Thunderstorm collector until recently. I agree with everyone else and think their production values are great and Paul really cares about his customers. Their output is also insane. 2-3 books a month is not uncommon and that gets pretty rich at $70+ a book. I stepped away mostly because I wanted to take my collection in a different direction and wound up selling almost my entire TSB collection.

Brian861
05-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Pretty cool stuff, Jason. Also, Mike says, "Hi".

mhatchett
05-01-2018, 12:07 PM
I kinda wish I would've ordered that set. I even had an opportunity to buy a complete set in the aftermarket for a decent price a year or two ago, and again passed it up. Glutton for disappointment, I guess.

If I ever decide to move mine, I'll keep you in mind.

RonClinton
05-01-2018, 03:07 PM
If I ever decide to move mine, I'll keep you in mind.

Thanks, Mike, appreciate it. And congrats on the Bradbury / Heston volume...pretty neat! I have a William F. Nolan-signed-to-Steve-McQueen, so can appreciate the slight thrill of having that kind of Association Copy.

TacomaDiver
05-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Pretty cool stuff, Jason. Also, Mike says, "Hi".

Thanks! And hi Mike via Brian!

mhatchett
05-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Kind of a Grail for me. First Edition October Country 1955. It is an Ex-Library book but in fantastic shape. I paid $50.00 for it. Y'all know what a Fine First is going for, so this might be my best chance to own a First at all. Pretty darn pleased! Have a great Day!!

Martin
05-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Kind of a Grail for me. First Edition October Country 1955. It is an Ex-Library book but in fantastic shape. I paid $50.00 for it. Y'all know what a Fine First is going for, so this might be my best chance to own a First at all. Pretty darn pleased! Have a great Day!!

Very nice, congratulations!

mhatchett
05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Thanks Martin. It's a really tight copy for a 62 year old book. Usual tape marks inside, but it shows well and is in Surprisingly good shape.

Sock Monkey
05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Nice add! Congrats on The October Country!

jeffingoff
05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

WOW! congrats on the sweet score!

RonClinton
05-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Congrats -- nice score. Definitely one of the best collections ever published in genre fiction.

RonClinton
05-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Received this a week or so ago. If this hardcover doesn't get your heart racing, better check your pulse... :cool:

The book is additionally signed by the editor/publisher, the introduction writer, the daughter of Howard Browne who wrote the afterword, her husband who served as the model of Paul Pine on the front cover, and by the cover artist. Only a limited number of these were so signed upon publication in late March (at the L.A.Paperback Show).

In terms of production quality and sheer bang-for-buck, Centipede Press, Subterranean Press, and Haffner Press are, in my mind, the top three small-press publishers putting out work today.

(Photos borrowed from the eBay auction)

https://s31.postimg.cc/4lsei7x4b/browne1.jpg

https://s31.postimg.cc/mbu339iez/browne2.jpg

https://s31.postimg.cc/u4kqv8w3v/browne3.jpg

Sock Monkey
05-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Received this a week or so ago. If this hardcover doesn't get your heart racing, better check your pulse... :cool:

The book is additionally signed by the editor/publisher, the introduction writer, the daughter of Howard Browne who wrote the afterword, her husband who served as the model of Paul Pine on the front cover, and by the cover artist. Only a limited number of these were so signed upon publication in late March (at the L.A.Paperback Show).

In terms of production quality and sheer bang-for-buck, Centipede Press, Subterranean Press, and Haffner Press are, in my mind, the top three small-press publishers putting out work today.

(Photos borrowed from the eBay auction)

https://s31.postimg.cc/4lsei7x4b/browne1.jpg

https://s31.postimg.cc/mbu339iez/browne2.jpg

https://s31.postimg.cc/u4kqv8w3v/browne3.jpg

This looks very cool. I have yet to pick up anything from Haffner but have been eyeing the Fredric Brown books for a little while. I really need to work them into the budget.

RonClinton
05-13-2018, 03:31 AM
I have the Brown books, and they’re well worth the money. I’m in for the entire series, and am looking forward to the next volumes.

Really excited about their forthcoming Bloch and Wandrei collections, too.

c marvel
05-13-2018, 05:52 AM
I finally gave in and tonight purchased The Transfiguration Of Mr. Punch by Charles Schneider, D. P. Watt and Cate Gardner. It was published by Egaeus Press. I really wanted the version with the laid in limited edition postcard. I only saw this one available. TTOMP is basically a literary triptych (I borrowed that last part from the bookseller's description). I know what a triptych movie is-I have a few- and that is partially why I found this book so unique.

Cap

mhatchett
05-13-2018, 11:56 AM
I have the Brown books, and they’re well worth the money. I’m in for the entire series, and am looking forward to the next volumes.

Really excited about their forthcoming Bloch and Wandrei collections, too.

Neat, I'll have to give them a try!!

Sock Monkey
05-13-2018, 04:15 PM
I finally gave in and tonight purchased The Transfiguration Of Mr. Punch by Charles Schneider, D. P. Watt and Cate Gardner. It was published by Egaeus Press. I really wanted the version with the laid in limited edition postcard. I only saw this one available. TTOMP is basically a literary triptych (I borrowed that last part from the bookseller's description). I know what a triptych movie is-I have a few- and that is partially why I found this book so unique.

Cap

I looked this up after reading your post and this sounds very intriguing. I’m fighting the urge to pick up a copy myself. Impulse buys have played havoc with my budget this year.

RonClinton
05-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Neat, I'll have to give them a try!!

I don't have their full fun, but have many of them -- from Kuttner, Brown, Brackett, (now) Browne, and others I'm probably forgetting. I always feel like I get my money's worth from them.

mhatchett
05-16-2018, 06:53 PM
I've been looking for this one for a awhile. It is a well Lived First edition that has been out in the world. Tight copy, decent dust jacket. It feels like owning a piece of history, not just a book. Pictures wouldn't load, I'll try later. OK, am I just not holding my mouth right or what?? Anyone else having problems loading photos??20709207102071120712

TacomaDiver
05-17-2018, 02:37 AM
To add on to my previous post (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?538-Post-Your-Latest-Purchase&p=90162&viewfull=1#post90162) about some recent David Petersen acquisitions . . .

It's been a busy eBay month, so I've recently acquired a ton of comics and the last Mondo poster which completes my David Petersen Mondo collection (excluding the variant edition of Mouse Guard . . . let's not get too crazy here . . .)

First - the comics!

TMNT Micro-Series #1-3, and the black and white variants:
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5071.JPG

TMNT Micro-Series #4-6, and the black and white variants:
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5072.JPG

TMNT Micro-Series #7-8
Star Wars #1 variant, Rocket Raccoon #1 variant
Jim Henson Labyrinth Coronation #1 variant
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5073.JPG

Muppet King Arthur #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5074.JPG

Muppet Robin Hood #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5075.JPG

Muppet Peter Pan #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5076.JPG

Muppet Snow White #1 and #4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5077.JPG

I still need to track down Muppet Snow White #2 and #3, along with Muppet Sherlock Holmes #1-#4 (maybe? #1 for sure . . .)

And finally, all three of the Mondo Posters - Mouse Guard will always remain a favorite, but I can't pick a favorite of the other two.

Brave
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5068.JPG

The Rescuers
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5069.JPG

Mouse Guard
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5070.JPG

Martin
05-17-2018, 03:20 AM
To add on to my previous post (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?538-Post-Your-Latest-Purchase&p=90162&viewfull=1#post90162) about some recent David Petersen acquisitions . . .

It's been a busy eBay month, so I've recently acquired a ton of comics and the last Mondo poster which completes my David Petersen Mondo collection (excluding the variant edition of Mouse Guard . . . let's not get too crazy here . . .)

First - the comics!

TMNT Micro-Series #1-3, and the black and white variants:
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5071.JPG

TMNT Micro-Series #4-6, and the black and white variants:
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5072.JPG

TMNT Micro-Series #7-8
Star Wars #1 variant, Rocket Raccoon #1 variant
Jim Henson Labyrinth Coronation #1 variant
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5073.JPG

Muppet King Arthur #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5074.JPG

Muppet Robin Hood #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5075.JPG

Muppet Peter Pan #1-4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5076.JPG

Muppet Snow White #1 and #4
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5077.JPG

I still need to track down Muppet Snow White #2 and #3, along with Muppet Sherlock Holmes #1-#4 (maybe? #1 for sure . . .)

And finally, all three of the Mondo Posters - Mouse Guard will always remain a favorite, but I can't pick a favorite of the other two.

Brave
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5068.JPG

The Rescuers
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5069.JPG

Mouse Guard
http://www.scubajason.com/misc/IMG_5070.JPG

Great additions!

TacomaDiver
05-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Great additions!

Thanks!

Brian861
05-17-2018, 12:52 PM
That's some cool stuff, Jason. I see your a customer of Lone Star comics as well :).

TacomaDiver
05-17-2018, 01:10 PM
That's some cool stuff, Jason. I see your a customer of Lone Star comics as well :).

Thanks!

Yeah kind of by accident. They don’t call themselves that on eBay though. I’ve bought a number of things from them the last couple of years. They seem to have the best selection and great prices on all of those damn IDW alternate covers.

Brian861
05-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Thanks!

Yeah kind of by accident. They don’t call themselves that on eBay though. I’ve bought a number of things from them the last couple of years. They seem to have the best selection and great prices on all of those damn IDW alternate covers.

True on the variant covers because they know I buy everyone of them! If you go directly to their website, you can usually get the comics cheaper. I think they up the charge a bit on eBay to cover the cost. Their want list is also really handy over there as they'll shoot ya an email when something you want is in stock. Current comics I'm into are 30 Days of Night 2017, Sword of Ages, October Faction, The Crow, and The X-Files Florida Man.

The strangest thing is that I never read comics as a kid. I had to wait to nerd out when I got into my 40s :rolleyes:

c marvel
05-19-2018, 11:39 PM
I've sold comics 3 or 4 times to My Comic Shop. I still have a few remaining that I'd like to see disappear. I have 2 1/2 boxes of comics plus trades and some hardcovers. ~Cap

TacomaDiver
05-20-2018, 03:43 PM
True on the variant covers because they know I buy everyone of them! If you go directly to their website, you can usually get the comics cheaper. I think they up the charge a bit on eBay to cover the cost. Their want list is also really handy over there as they'll shoot ya an email when something you want is in stock. Current comics I'm into are 30 Days of Night 2017, Sword of Ages, October Faction, The Crow, and The X-Files Florida Man.

The strangest thing is that I never read comics as a kid. I had to wait to nerd out when I got into my 40s :rolleyes:

I started reading and then collecting comics when I moved overseas in 1986. Actually, my first comic was GI Joe #38 - I signed up for a magazine subscription when I was in elementary school, and selected GI Joe because I knew the toys and cartoons. It's funny that I still remember this issue so vividly:

And then my addiction continued. Bought them up until I had some financial decisions to make, and stopped reading/buying/being aware around 2003 or so? (I also lost my job so stuff had to be sold.)

Recently started revisiting series that I never finished (like Bone, and Strangers in Paradise,) and found some killer deals on books at Half Price Books for other series (like 100 Bullets and Y the Last Man.) My GF buys quite a few comics and I've told her a few times she reminds me of ME from the 90s - she needs all the variant covers to JEM and is buying issues of My Little Pony even though she has the trades. Yeah, her tastes run a bit different than mine.

I've tried finding some new series to read, and have had a hard time finding something. So far, I think my favorite of the new stuff is Paper Girls. Really enjoying that. Saga is around here somewhere too.

Nothing wrong with being nerdy in your 40s! :)

mhatchett
05-20-2018, 04:04 PM
I gave up on comics when I was just a teenager, that's when it dawned on me how hyper-commercial the comic business was getting. I dabbled with the Warren publications for a few years, still have those and A few well loved series, surprisingly lots of Gold Key titles. Can't see myself drifting back. I wish everyone enjoyment in their pursuits though!!

Martin
05-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Unless you count Mad and Cracked I never read a comic until a few years ago. For what ever reason they simply did not interest me. The first time I am aware of picking up a comic was when Joe Jill began Locke and Key. I absolutely love that series and feels it is a better story being told in the comic format than it would be as a story alone. I also loved the serial elements and enjoyed stopping by a local comic store on release day to get the next issue. I can recall sitting in my car and reading the new issue before continuing the drive home. I tried to get into the Dark Tower comics and American Vampire but simply could not get into it. I would love to find another comic that hit me like Locke and Key but haven't found it yet.

Brian861
05-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Unless you count Mad and Cracked I never read a comic until a few years ago. For what ever reason they simply did not interest me. The first time I am aware of picking up a comic was when Joe Jill began Locke and Key. I absolutely love that series and feels it is a better story being told in the comic format than it would be as a story alone. I also loved the serial elements and enjoyed stopping by a local comic store on release day to get the next issue. I can recall sitting in my car and reading the new issue before continuing the drive home. I tried to get into the Dark Tower comics and American Vampire but simply could not get into it. I would love to find another comic that hit me like Locke and Key but haven't found it yet.

I'm not sure the day will ever come that tops Locke & Key comic wise for me.

Martin
05-21-2018, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure the day will ever come that tops Locke & Key comic wise for me.

I am right there with you. I am hoping for something that excites me like Locke and Key did but that is indeed a high bar to set!

RonClinton
05-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Arrived this weekend -- the First Edition Library edition of Bradbury's GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN...essentially an exact facsimile replica of the first edition and in slipcase. Not a 1st and not the Sub Press (slightly expanded?) 1st thus, but still a neat example.

mhatchett
05-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Excellent!!

c marvel
05-24-2018, 05:36 PM
After finding The Case of the Winking Buddha by Manning Lee Stokes online I decided I wanted to read one of his regular novels so I ordered and just received yesterday The Grave's In The Meadow. I also received The Transfiguration Of Mr. Punch. TTOMP has a curious and cool cover. I think I'm going to enjoy reading this one.

Cap

saginawhorror
05-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Just got the CD Artwork Grab Bag. Got the Shining Art Portfolio, Chadbourne signed print was one that had a bunch of Stephen King characters on it. Color signed print looks like Riding the Bullet. Poster was Black House, which was my only repeat. Plus a couple of dozen other prints. Very satisfied.

jeffingoff
05-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Thrift store find! First edition Leather Maiden by Joe R. Lansdale in great condition. I never shop at thrift stores but I think I might now. I paid $2.97 and saw copies of this book go as high as $3.99 on eBay! Score! Seriously, I'm so happy with this find. Have no idea if this is a good Lansdale book.

OUCH with the staple in the hand!

She's got a beautiful spine!

Deckled edges!

jeffingoff
05-27-2018, 03:59 PM
I forgot that all photos must be landscape. But I just remembered that I'm too goddamn lazy to retake the photos.

TacomaDiver
05-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Nice find! I never shop at thriftstores either (I have a friend who buys a bunch of books there because like you said, $2/$3 is a bargain!)

I just got some new Lansdale yesterday - a first print of Space and Time's edition of Dead in the West that looks to be in perfect shape, plus new copies of Vanilla Ride (the spine on mine had a serious gangster lean,) and Bad Chili (with the publisher's "you should read this!" letter.)

c marvel
05-28-2018, 03:10 AM
Tonight, I scored big time (For me) when I found Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 1 on eBay for $8.16. I've seen Vol. 1 elsewhere for close to double that price. For some reason, Vol. 1 is hard to find at a good price. I got Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 3 at Half Price Books. I used their 20% discount code. I've seen Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 4 mentioned--Nobody seems to have it in stock. I am wondering if Vol. 4 was ever published. Does anyone know how to check on this?

~Cap

Martin
05-28-2018, 03:55 AM
Tonight, I scored big time (For me) when I found Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 1 on eBay for $8.16. I've seen Vol. 1 elsewhere for close to double that price. For some reason, Vol. 1 is hard to find at a good price. I got Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 3 at Half Price Books. I used their 20% discount code. I've seen Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 4 mentioned--Nobody seems to have it in stock. I am wondering if Vol. 4 was ever published. Does anyone know how to check on this?

~Cap

Congratulations! Here is what I found online regarding Volume 4:

"Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 4 was planned to be the fourth book in a series of collections of the Dick Tracy comic strip published by the Checker Book Publishing Group.
It was to feature stories written by Max Allan Collins (hence the title) with art by Rick Fletcher.
Presuming that it followed the format of the 3 previous volumes, the book would have included the storyline of B.U. Tiffil, then Ownley Chylde, and part of the Dick Tracy 50th Anniversary storyline.
Artwork was commissioned for the book's cover, but the book has not been published and there are apparently no immediate plans to produce it."

Source: http://dicktracy.wikia.com/wiki/Dick_Tracy:_The_Collins_Casefiles_Vol._4

c marvel
05-28-2018, 05:45 AM
As I suspected. Thanks for the info. Martin. ~Cap

Congratulations! Here is what I found online regarding Volume 4:

"Dick Tracy: The Collins Casefiles Vol. 4 was planned to be the fourth book in a series of collections of the Dick Tracy comic strip published by the Checker Book Publishing Group.
It was to feature stories written by Max Allan Collins (hence the title) with art by Rick Fletcher.
Presuming that it followed the format of the 3 previous volumes, the book would have included the storyline of B.U. Tiffil, then Ownley Chylde, and part of the Dick Tracy 50th Anniversary storyline.
Artwork was commissioned for the book's cover, but the book has not been published and there are apparently no immediate plans to produce it."

Source: http://dicktracy.wikia.com/wiki/Dick_Tracy:_The_Collins_Casefiles_Vol._4

RonClinton
05-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Just got a shipping notice from Subterranean Press (my first such notice from that press, as I recall...must be something new he's doing (and I like it!)) that my S/L copy of ARTEMIS is on its way. I have a trade 1st that I had Weir sign and inscribe to me when I attended a local booksigning for it, so had some reservations about keeping this order (was placed before the trade came out), especially since ARTEMIS wasn't as good as THE MARTIAN, but ultimately I'm glad I did, even if it's a duplication, as its S/L form matches the S/L form of my copy of THE MARTIAN...at least that's the way I'm justifying it. ;)

Martin
05-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Just got a shipping notice from Subterranean Press (my first such notice from that press, as I recall...must be something new he's doing (and I like it!)) that my S/L copy of ARTEMIS is on its way. I have a trade 1st that I had Weir sign and inscribe to me when I attended a local booksigning for it, so had some reservations about keeping this order (was placed before the trade came out), especially since ARTEMIS wasn't as good as THE MARTIAN, but ultimately I'm glad I did, even if it's a duplication, as its S/L form matches the S/L form of my copy of THE MARTIAN...at least that's the way I'm justifying it. ;)

I have received shipping notices on past orders from Subterranean press. My copy of Artemis is not scheduled to arrive until next Tuesday.

RonClinton
05-30-2018, 06:59 PM
I have received shipping notices on past orders from Subterranean press. My copy of Artemis is not scheduled to arrive until next Tuesday.

Hmm. Maybe I'm confusing Sub Press w/ Centipede's process...I know Centipede doesn't do shipping notices.

TacomaDiver
05-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Hmm. Maybe I'm confusing Sub Press w/ Centipede's process...I know Centipede doesn't do shipping notices.

Shipping notices from SubPress seem to be a recent development - I would say less than a year?

RonClinton
05-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Shipping notices from SubPress seem to be a recent development - I would say less than a year?

I don’t often order from them direct, usually choosing instead to go with Camelot Books or eBay, so maybe that’s the reason it seemed new to me.

slayn666
05-30-2018, 08:26 PM
I've always gotten shipping notices from SubPress and I've been buying books from them for several years.

However, if the notice specified which book you're getting, that IS new; previously it was just a tracking number and if you had multiple books on order, it was up to you to poke around and figure out which one was coming.

Martin
05-30-2018, 08:42 PM
I've always gotten shipping notices from SubPress and I've been buying books from them for several years.

However, if the notice specified which book you're getting, that IS new; previously it was just a tracking number and if you had multiple books on order, it was up to you to poke around and figure out which one was coming.

Yes, I believe including the order number so you know what they shipped is a new development.

c marvel
06-07-2018, 04:22 AM
I found a double novel (flipbook) at Blood Bound Books--Cradle Of The Dead by Roger Jackson and Dark Waves by Simon Kearns. BBB tossed in a free copy of The Return by David Riley. If anyone is interested, I might be agreeable to mailing you The Return.

Cap

c marvel
06-12-2018, 11:27 AM
I found on eBay six Dick Tracy trade paperbacks. I have only read one of the six tpbs. These tpbs are from the fifteen year run of Max Alan Collins writing the Dick Tracy comic strip. I wanted to snag these Dick Tracy tpbs earlier, than I got busy with something and forgot about the eBay listing. I can't buy the huge, deluxe treatments of Dick Tracy by Chester Gould (Not enough room), but I have been enjoying revisiting the excellent Dick Tracy storylines done by Max Alan Collins after he took over the Dick Tracy scripting duties from Chester Gould. This purchase could only have been better if the shipping was free.

Cap

c marvel
08-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Beetles! by Dustin LaValley, art by Daniele Serra arrived while I was out of the park.

Cap

TacomaDiver
09-05-2018, 06:02 PM
A couple of weeks ago, In Stock Trades was having an extra 3% off sale on DC books. Their current discount prices were 42% off cover price, so for that weekend only, they were now up to 45% off. I spent FAR MORE than I was planning on, but I was able to snag for of the Absolute editions, plus a ton of trades (I asked some fellow comics fans I knew on Twitter for recommendations.)

Today they arrived. Two GIANT HEAVY boxes full of four color goodness:

First the Absolute editions of Sandman: Overture, Batman: Year One, V For Vendetta, and Batman: The Long Halloween.

And then the pile of trades:
Superman Last Son of Krypton*
All-Star Superman*
Superman For All Seasons*
Superman Secret Identity
The New Frontier
Wonder Woman 1
Wonder Woman 2
Wonder Woman Rebirth 2
Wonder Woman Rebirth 1
Catwoman Trail of the Catwoman
Batman Year One*
Dark Night A True Batman Story
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman The Dark Knight Saga

*Also purchased for GF's brother for Christmas. He loves Superman and Batman, but has never read any of the comics before, so I tried to find a handful of "best" stories. Sadly The Dark Knight Returns is only available with The Dark Knight Strikes Back - I hope he can overlook that part)

Brian861
09-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Wow! Nice haul, Jason!

TacomaDiver
09-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Wow! Nice haul, Jason!

Thanks! It's quite an impressive amount of books. Add them to my last two shipments from them, and I have a mountain of books on the coffee table now. I probably should move them . ..

TacomaDiver
09-08-2018, 10:25 PM
I've gotten some fun books this week (Dark Region's Bird Box, Suntup's Misery Artist Edition, the 10th Anniversary Tor collection, and the second and third Murderbot novellas,) but today brought an extra special delivery:

The Ravens of Unresting Thought (http://timothylantz.com/store/product-category-unresting-ravens/) by Timothy Lantz (http://timothylantz.com/)

Inspired by the Native American mythology of the Pacific-Northwest, this story offers a fresh perspective on the tale, Raven Steals the Sun, the Moon and the Stars and imagines how the events in that story have impacted humanity since the time of the First People.

Combining prose and poetry with elements of a graphic novel, The Ravens of Unresting Thought features an array of artistic styles including traditional hand-drawn and painted illustrations alongside photography and digital mixed media work.

I've known Tim for close to 20 years now. We met on an old blogging site and shared quite a few interests, specifically comics and hard rock/metal music. I even met Tim in real life once so he's a real dude.

He does a lot of digital illustrations - book covers, trading cards, he's even designed a beer label for a beer that I made in his honor - Archeon's Stygian Darkness (an oak aged milk stout infused with absinthe.)

I've always tried supporting Tim and his art - I own a bunch of prints, he even thanks me in a tarot card set he designed (Archeon's Tarot (http://timothylantz.com/store/product-category-bookstarotetc/archeon-tarot-premier/)). (I think my ex took my copy of my tarot cards . . .)

Anyways, he's been working on this new project for a couple of years now, and after a failed Kickstarter, he published it himself anyway. Once I found this out, I was chomping at the bit to get a copy, and today my copy finally arrived. I of course bought the extra special fancy edition, so it came with a bunch of extras like post cards, and signed/numbered prints, and a giclee print.

It's a beautiful book, and I'm so happy that he's finally been able to publish it - so I'm spreading the word - maybe this will strike some of your fancies and you'll get a copy for your collection too.

Ben Staad
09-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Cool looking book. It looks like it was a labor of love.

Ben Staad
09-13-2018, 04:07 PM
I'm not buying many collectible books these days so I'm excited to get this one in the mail. As a bonus they gave me my requested number!

Brian861
09-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Nice stuff, guys!

Ben Staad
09-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Thanks! I really loved Bird Box and I think DRP made a nice edition. I will check it out a little more this evening (with some candlelight and a nice Chianti) but I am initially pleased with the purchase.

Nice stuff, guys!

jeffingoff
09-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Thanks! I really loved Bird Box and I think DRP made a nice edition. I will check it out a little more this evening (with some candlelight and a nice Chianti) but I am initially pleased with the purchase.

Looks wonderful. Congrats on the number too. Was it packed well?

Ben Staad
09-14-2018, 05:23 PM
https://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?3158-Dark-Region-Press-WTF-Unbelievable&p=92411&viewfull=1#post92411

Not sure if I did the link thingy right or not. Thanks by the way. The book production wise is okay but I do like the size and illustrations. To be clear I am not at all disappointed. I just don't think it's quite as nice as CDs editions at this price point. Plus I wish the author would have signed the books in lieu of initials or whatever that is...Just a nit picky thing on my part.

Looks wonderful. Congrats on the number too. Was it packed well?

TacomaDiver
09-20-2018, 02:02 AM
I don't remember who - but someone here posted about these books awhile back, and they definitely intrigued me. And I finally, FINALLY, broke down and bought them. And not only did I buy them, a buddy of mine I met through TDT told me about this omnibus edition, so I of course had to get one of those too.

First, here are the new paperback copies of Cixin Liu's (or Liu Cixin's) Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy:

I especially love the uniformed look - plus how well they match the omnibus edition:
21056 21057 21058

Sadly it came damaged, but based on quite a few things I've heard, that's almost to be expected from these UK bookstores that ship to the US. Why they haven't figured out how to use a proper box is beyond me.

I've been waiting quite a while for these books to arrive - they're next on to read list - so I've had to read some other books in the meantime. Of course, they day before these finally arrived, an eBook I requested my library to purchase was delivered to me, so I'm going to need to read that first.

Excited to finally read this series!

And thank you to whomever it was a while back that posted pictures of their signed editions. You've now cost me a few dollars. Like everyone else around here it seems, you punks.

Martin
09-20-2018, 03:35 AM
I don't remember who - but someone here posted about these books awhile back, and they definitely intrigued me. And I finally, FINALLY, broke down and bought them. And not only did I buy them, a buddy of mine I met through TDT told me about this omnibus edition, so I of course had to get one of those too.

First, here are the new paperback copies of Cixin Liu's (or Liu Cixin's) Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy:

I especially love the uniformed look - plus how well they match the omnibus edition:
21056 21057 21058

Sadly it came damaged, but based on quite a few things I've heard, that's almost to be expected from these UK bookstores that ship to the US. Why they haven't figured out how to use a proper box is beyond me.

I've been waiting quite a while for these books to arrive - they're next on to read list - so I've had to read some other books in the meantime. Of course, they day before these finally arrived, an eBook I requested my library to purchase was delivered to me, so I'm going to need to read that first.

Excited to finally read this series!

And thank you to whomever it was a while back that posted pictures of their signed editions. You've now cost me a few dollars. Like everyone else around here it seems, you punks.

Gorgeous!

TacomaDiver
09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Gorgeous!

Thanks!

RonClinton
09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Had a few signed/limiteds show up the last couple of weeks:

A LITTLE COBALT BOOK OF OLD BLUE STORIES...AND STUFF, by Mort Castle (Borderlands Press)

BRING HER BACK, Jeff Strand (Thunderstorm Books) -- was also generously gifted a couple other titles: THE CORPSE AND THE GIRL FROM MIAMI by John Urbancik and THE SPECIAL by James Newman & Mark Steensland

Picked up a number of other items from eBay and Half-Price Books as well, but the above are the genre limiteds.

dannyboy121070
09-21-2018, 12:30 AM
Had a few signed/limiteds show up the last couple of weeks:

A LITTLE COBALT BOOK OF OLD BLUE STORIES...AND STUFF, by Mort Castle (Borderlands Press)

BRING HER BACK, Jeff Strand (Thunderstorm Books) -- was also generously gifted a couple other titles: THE CORPSE AND THE GIRL FROM MIAMI by John Urbancik and THE SPECIAL by James Newman & Mark Steensland

Picked up a number of other items from eBay and Half-Price Books as well, but the above are the genre limiteds.

Ugh. By the time I found out THE SPECIAL even existed, it was sold out. Hopefully, it'll hit digital soon

This arrived in the mail today:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51RBxlbf1AL._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TacomaDiver
09-21-2018, 03:33 AM
My love for Mouse Guard isn't a secret . . . and I'm still slowly acquiring David Petersen treasures. Today, eBay brought me two of his older sketchbooks - the 2011 and 2012 editions:

I also have the 2015, 2016, and 2017 versions (I thought I lost my 2017 - I looked EVERYWHERE - some places twice - only to find it sitting on my desk - doh!):

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on eBay for the others - these were such a good price (plus the seller accepted my offer so I saved some money!) that I couldn't pass up the chance.

Martin
09-21-2018, 03:48 AM
My love for Mouse Guard isn't a secret . . . and I'm still slowly acquiring David Petersen treasures. Today, eBay brought me two of his older sketchbooks - the 2011 and 2012 editions:

I also have the 2015, 2016, and 2017 versions (I thought I lost my 2017 - I looked EVERYWHERE - some places twice - only to find it sitting on my desk - doh!):

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on eBay for the others - these were such a good price (plus the seller accepted my offer so I saved some money!) that I couldn't pass up the chance.

Congratulations!

jeffingoff
09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
So cool! Congrats!

Ben Staad
09-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Never heard of Mouse Guard but those are some nice images. Congrats!

TacomaDiver
09-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Congratulations!

So cool! Congrats!

Thank you both!

Never heard of Mouse Guard but those are some nice images. Congrats!

Thanks!

Ben - if you look through my postings, you'll probably see A LOT of Mouse Guard stuff - and it barely scratches the surface.

It's a tiny independent comic about mice with swords. Once I made the mistake of describing it as Hobbit-like, but that's not a fair comparison since there's nothing magical about it (well, except for the fact that mice talk and have swords . . .)

The artwork is amazing - the story is even better. I'd recommend taking a look at it if you like comics, or at least beautiful artwork.

TacomaDiver
09-22-2018, 02:54 PM
In addition to my GF's new iPhone, yesterday I also got this:

The fancy black edition of Terry Moore's Rachel Rising - complete with signed print and signed bookplate:

I have the regular trade hardcover, but really wanted the version he sold directly on his website. I missed its original offering because it came out a few years ago while I wasn't paying attention to the world of comics. Found a SCREAMING deal on eBay for it - and if I'm completely honest, the seller had this one WAY under-priced. I saw it, and snagged it immediately - I only paused to make sure the weird marks on the back weren't damage (they were shiny birds.)

Brian861
09-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Nice grab, Jason! The Mouse Guard stuff looks cool too.

TacomaDiver
09-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Nice grab, Jason! The Mouse Guard stuff looks cool too.

Thanks Brian!

RonClinton
09-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Got a signed copy of Grady Hendrix' new one, WE SOLD OUR SOULS, at his tour stop last night at Third Place Books in Ravenna. He puts on one heckuva entertaining show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DntPtfcUYAAzvyI.jpg

TacomaDiver
09-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Got a signed copy of Grady Hendrix' new one, WE SOLD OUR SOULS, at his tour stop last night at Third Place Books in Ravenna. He puts on one heckuva entertaining show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DntPtfcUYAAzvyI.jpg

I forgot that that was last night. Damnit. Of course, it would have been next to impossible to have gone because of my dog (imagine taking the bus from Eastgate to Seattle, the train from Seattle to Lakewood, and then letting the dog out, only to turn around and drive up to Seattle.)

RonClinton
09-22-2018, 11:25 PM
I forgot that that was last night. Damnit. Of course, it would have been next to impossible to have gone because of my dog (imagine taking the bus from Eastgate to Seattle, the train from Seattle to Lakewood, and then letting the dog out, only to turn around and drive up to Seattle.)

Plus, there was about armed and despondent/suicidal guy that stopped his truck on the 520 bridge and shut down traffic, both eastbound and westbound, during that time for about two hours as police, SWAT, and negotiators dealt with him. It backed up traffic significantly, to say the least. Thankfully, we learned about it just before we left the house, so we ended up going from Redmond up to Bothell and through Lake City to get to Ravenna…it was really our only option.

Martin
09-23-2018, 03:01 AM
Plus, there was about armed and despondent/suicidal guy that stopped his truck on the 520 bridge and shut down traffic, both eastbound and westbound, during that time for about two hours as police, SWAT, and negotiators dealt with him. It backed up traffic significantly, to say the least. Thankfully, we learned about it just before we left the house, so we ended up going from Redmond up to Bothell and through Lake City to get to Ravenna…it was really our only option.

Glad you were able to make to the reading.

Brian861
09-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Looks like it was a cool event, Ron. Glad ya made it.

RonClinton
09-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks, guys. Oh, and Will Erickson, his co-author from PAPERBACKS FROM HELL and owner of the Too Much Horror website, drove up from Portland was there in attendance as well.

mhatchett
10-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Just got this from Anderida books in the UK. Love Miles Cameron, looking forward to dipping into Cold Iron!

Dave1442397
10-20-2018, 07:28 PM
So this showed up today....

First of all, the quality is fantastic, and I couldn't believe how big it is! It just fits beside my CP edition of 'Salem's Lot, so that's good.

Here's The Outsider for comparison.

And then inside the case...

And the silver coin with SK on one side and RC on the other.

Overall a very impressive package. Well done, Lonely Road Books!

Martin
10-20-2018, 10:13 PM
So this showed up today....

First of all, the quality is fantastic, and I couldn't believe how big it is! It just fits beside my CP edition of 'Salem's Lot, so that's good.

Here's The Outsider for comparison.

And then inside the case...

And the silver coin with SK on one side and RC on the other.

Overall a very impressive package. Well done, Lonely Road Books!

Congratulations! I don't even have a shipping notice for Gwendy yet. Looking forward to seeing that one in my home.

Brian861
10-21-2018, 05:12 AM
Congrats, Dave!

TacomaDiver
10-21-2018, 03:58 PM
That’s a gorgeous edition! Congrats!

mhatchett
10-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Found this and have really enjoyed it. Touchstone: A Tribute to Fritz Leiber And Ray Bradbury, The Mysterious Stranger Press, 1978. Written while both men were still alive and so were most of the contributors. A very poignant read, full of sweet remanences. Not much to look at, but full of love! If you like Bradbury and Leiber, this is a must for your collection.

RonClinton
10-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Found this and have really enjoyed it. Touchstone: A Tribute to Fritz Leiber And Ray Bradbury, The Mysterious Stranger Press, 1978. Written while both men were still alive and so were most of the contributors. A very poignant read, full of sweet remanences. Not much to look at, but full of love! If you like Bradbury and Leiber, this is a must for your collection.

I’m a fan of both men’s work, and am immensely envious of your find!

Ben Staad
10-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Nice new adds! Keep em' coming.

RonClinton
11-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Just picked up the new S/L HC of Lansdale's DRIVING TO GERONIMO'S GRAVE (Subterranean Press, 2018). A number of these I've read previously in their original sources, but it'll be nice to have them all together in this attractive package...and I do think there is some original content and/or stuff I haven't yet read.

c marvel
11-06-2018, 07:57 AM
A 2 For 1 Lancer Books double (It's not a flipbook). First, The Naked Canvas by William Arnold and the second book is French Maid by Morton Cooper. I'm really digging these old vintage paperbacks. I considered starting a new thread - Post Your Latest Find.

Cap:cool:

Martin
11-06-2018, 02:53 PM
A 2 For 1 Lancer Books double (It's not a flipbook). First, The Naked Canvas by William Arnold and the second book is French Maid by Morton Cooper. I'm really digging these old vintage paperbacks. I considered starting a new thread - Post Your Latest Find.

Cap:cool:

Although I do not collect them I do love looking at classic paperback covers. Between you and Ron Clinton I think a thread of that would be fantastic!

RonClinton
11-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Although I do not collect them I do love looking at classic paperback covers. Between you and Ron Clinton I think a thread of that would be fantastic!

Vintage mystery/noir pbs are definitely my second book-love after horror S/L HCs and, recently, '80s and '90s vintage horror pbs...heck, sometimes they're neck-and-neck. There's a charm to those '40 - '60s vintage noir pbs that is both timeless and of-its-time, and hard to beat when you're in the mood for something stripped down (rarely run more than 150 pages) and unabashedly written to entertain and, in this day and age, give you a window to a time now all but gone. In fact, the author whose works I have most of -- hold on while I go count...okay, 83 books in all, more than all my Lansdales, Laymons, etc. -- is a vintage mystery/noir/sleaze author. Just like any genre, there'sa lot of dreck out there and you have to pan a lot of publishers' output for those nuggets of gold, but when you find them...wow, just great stuff, and a testament to the fact that quality (writing) endures and is timeless.

mhatchett
11-07-2018, 10:43 AM
I have a quite a few of the old "Gold Key" authors that I look for. Of course, I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan, Ross MacDonald, Lawrence Block, Eugene Izzi. I agree with you Ron, pot boilers are just fun.

c marvel
11-07-2018, 11:38 AM
I know I shouldn't do it and I'm trying to control my buying impulse. There is a 3 book lot on eBay, fantastic price, that I've been looking at for the past two days. I've got some vintage paperbacks in my room I haven't yet read. Vintage paperbacks are just so much fun for me to read and I really read them fast.

Cap

RonClinton
11-07-2018, 04:20 PM
I have a quite a few of the old "Gold Key" authors that I look for. Of course, I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan, Ross MacDonald, Lawrence Block, Eugene Izzi. I agree with you Ron, pot boilers are just fun.

Yeah, Gold Medal is one of my favorite publishers of that era (I think that's what you're referring to...?) as they tended to have an editorial slant and quality control that made their releases a bit more reliable. That said, they, like all publishers, had some definite misfires, but *in general* they tended to be pretty good, and I suspect I probably have more of that imprint than any other.

RonClinton
11-11-2018, 01:29 AM
You know it's one helluva Good Day when you go out bookstore hopping because two of the larger used bookstores in your area are both having a 40% Off weekend sale....and then incredibly you find there (along with a few pbs) two signed/limited HCs that you've been wanting for quite some time (especially the Hautala), each still at cover price (but then minus the 40%)...and you have a $80 rebate Visa gift card in your wallet that covers the cost of all your books and leaves you just enough for a treat and drink at Starbuck's afterward. :cool:

http://i67.tinypic.com/149xu7c.jpg

jeffingoff
11-11-2018, 01:52 AM
You know it's one helluva Good Day when you go out bookstore hopping because two of the larger used bookstores in your area are both having a 40% Off weekend sale....and then incredibly you find there (along with a few pbs) two signed/limited HCs that you've been wanting for quite some time (especially the Hautala), each still at cover price (but then minus the 40%)...and you have a $80 rebate Visa gift card in your wallet that covers the cost of all your books and leaves you just enough for a treat and drink at Starbuck's afterward. :cool:

AMAZING day.

Martin
11-11-2018, 05:33 AM

Great Day!

RonClinton
11-11-2018, 05:50 AM
AMAZING day.

Great Day!

Amazing, great, and outstanding! :D

Seeing that rather scarce Hautala collection on the shelf at a local used bookstore -- and at cover price and then 40% off, no less -- just about bowled me over. Talk about a double-take...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5kJytWE7VKz_a6BIx-shzMbl4K90WbRHoP6zdzosXbjMuewzz5w

RonClinton
11-11-2018, 05:58 AM
Btw, I left behind a helluva deal on another S/L Cemetery Dance book...still trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do.:confused:

A signed (four or five pages of signatures) and slipcased copy of the BIG BOOK OF NECON...priced at $50...then minus 40%...$30 and it coulda been mine. But, no, I told myself, I already have the trade edition, and you don't go to Cons -- let alone Necon -- so spending $30 to upgrade to the deluxe edition would be silly. That's what I told myself....and for some reason I believed it.

If I didn't have something else going on tomorrow, I'd probably shoot down there mull it over again in person. Oh well, I have Hautala and Lumley to assuage my sorrow...

jeffingoff
11-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Btw, I left behind a helluva deal on another S/L Cemetery Dance book...still trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do.:confused:

A signed (four or five pages of signatures) and slipcased copy of the BIG BOOK OF NECON...priced at $50...then minus 40%...$30 and it coulda been mine. But, no, I told myself, I already have the trade edition, and you don't go to Cons -- let alone Necon -- so spending $30 to upgrade to the deluxe edition would be silly. That's what I told myself....and for some reason I believed it.

If I didn't have something else going on tomorrow, I'd probably shoot down there mull it over again in person. Oh well, I have Hautala and Lumley to assuage my sorrow...

I need to identify some good bookstores in my area . . .

mhatchett
11-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Well done Ron!!

TacomaDiver
11-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Recently I acquired a couple of "semi-holy grails" for my collections -

First, the gold version of The Black Axe from Mouse Guard:

Now I'm only missing one weapon that Skelton Crew did - Delvin's Shield (which was a made to order piece so I'm always keeping my eyes open for this to show up one day.)

And then just the other day - I FINALLY acquired a copy of Sub Press's Veil's Visit from Joe Lansdale and Andrew Vachss. There's almost always one or two copies on eBay and Abe, but at $300 (usually) they're just too pricey for my budget. Well, a week or so ago, someone put one up on eBay as an auction, and I got it for a screamin' deal, so I'm happy about that.

Brian861
11-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Congrats, Jason!

RonClinton
11-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Congrats, Jason… I’m going to have to update my book database for Veil’s Visit, as I had no idea it had gotten to that price level. Thanks for the heads up! :-)

TacomaDiver
11-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Congrats, Jason… I’m going to have to update my book database for Veil’s Visit, as I had no idea it had gotten to that price level. Thanks for the heads up! :-)

Thanks! And of course!

There's one currently on eBay for $300 BIN - WAY overpriced as far as I'm concerned. It's not even the hardcover version . . .

I don't think they're worth that cost - but every time they're listed, people keep asking that price for some reason but it never seems to sell.

Martin
11-17-2018, 09:22 PM
Recently I acquired a couple of "semi-holy grails" for my collections -

First, the gold version of The Black Axe from Mouse Guard:

Now I'm only missing one weapon that Skelton Crew did - Delvin's Shield (which was a made to order piece so I'm always keeping my eyes open for this to show up one day.)

And then just the other day - I FINALLY acquired a copy of Sub Press's Veil's Visit from Joe Lansdale and Andrew Vachss. There's almost always one or two copies on eBay and Abe, but at $300 (usually) they're just too pricey for my budget. Well, a week or so ago, someone put one up on eBay as an auction, and I got it for a screamin' deal, so I'm happy about that.

Congratulations, great finds!

TacomaDiver
11-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Congrats, Jason!

Congratulations, great finds!

Thank you both!

jeffingoff
11-18-2018, 02:12 AM
WOW CONGRATS!

goathunter
11-19-2018, 01:41 AM
$300?!? I guess I shouldn't have given my copy away a few years ago....

TacomaDiver
11-19-2018, 03:00 AM
$300?!? I guess I shouldn't have given my away a few years ago....

That’s why I feel so good for getting my copy for what I did.