PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Latest Purchase

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

slayn666
08-31-2017, 01:37 AM
Are these coming from FB?

That one was through LibraryThing. I think he also did a giveaway through Goodreads.

Brian861
08-31-2017, 02:06 AM
That one was through LibraryThing. I think he also did a giveaway through Goodreads.

Gotcha.

c marvel
08-31-2017, 10:03 PM
Elderwood Manor by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. The Screaming Mimi/The Far Cry double novel by Fredric Brown. There is one cover on each side of the book. It is not a flipbook. I really like these covers and think they are the nicest covers I've seen grace any book in quite a while. Whoever is responsible--Good job dude!!

Cap

c marvel
09-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Fright by Cornell Woolrich, a Hard Case Crime paperback. Cap

c marvel
09-04-2017, 03:11 AM
Killing Ghost by Christopher Ransom
The Dropper by Ron McClarty
Dreamlike States by Brian James Freeman
Horror Drive-In featuring Brian James Freeman, Ronald Malfi, Norman Prentiss, Bill Pronzini, Harry Shannon and Mark Sieber

The first two are trade hardcovers. I think I got an outstanding price for this lot of 4 CD books-very, very affordable and I especially liked getting the signed Brian James Freeman Dreamlike States.

Cap

Brian861
09-04-2017, 04:55 AM
Good stuff, Cap!

Martin
09-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Killing Ghost by Christopher Ransom
The Dropper by Ron McClarty
Dreamlike States by Brian James Freeman
Horror Drive-In featuring Brian James Freeman, Ronald Malfi, Norman Prentiss, Bill Pronzini, Harry Shannon and Mark Sieber

The first two are trade hardcovers. I think I got an outstanding price for this lot of 4 CD books-very, very affordable and I especially liked getting the signed Brian James Freeman Dreamlike States.

Cap

Great additions. I have all of those. I have not yet read Killing Ghost and The Dropper really did not work for me. Dreamlike States and Horror Drive-In are fantastic reads!

c marvel
09-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Great additions. I have all of those. I have not yet read Killing Ghost and The Dropper really did not work for me. Dreamlike States and Horror Drive-In are fantastic reads!

I think there are two more small books of Brian's that are short stories. I know for certain there is one more and I'd love to eventually get it. I've become a big fan of these smaller books like Weed Species by Jack Ketchum, Isis by Douglas Clegg, Wild Things: Four Tales by Douglas Clegg. I like some of the itty bitty novellas from Delirium Books/Darkfuse-especially the ones by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. All of these books to me are cool or special and keepers for sure.

Cap

Brian861
09-05-2017, 05:57 AM
I think there are two more small books of Brian's that are short stories. I know for certain there is one more and I'd love to eventually get it. I've become a big fan of these smaller books like Weed Species by Jack Ketchum, Isis by Douglas Clegg, Wild Things: Four Tales by Douglas Clegg. I like some of the itty bitty novellas from Darkfuse-especially the ones by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes. All of these books to me are cool or special and keepers for sure.

Cap

Yep. Weak and Wounded & More Than Midnight by BJF.

mhatchett
09-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Just received the 2nd volume of the projected five book Seabury Quinn, The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin series, by Night Shade Books. I haven't had a chance to read either book, Horror on the Links and The Devil's Rosary, but the production values look good, the cover art is really nice. My only complaint, and I know this doesn't or won't matter to some people, is that both volumes have the same introduction. I know lots of folks don't read intros, indeed, I read an article once that claimed intros are a waste of time for those that write them and those that take the time to read them. I disagree, but that's another forum entry LOL!! I think highlighting the career of Seabury Quin, WWI Vet and mainstay of Werid Tales for nearly 30 years, is a worthy project for Nightshade and I hope they fulfill the promise of the first two books. The second Volume does have a secondndary intro or maybe an Essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz, "Loved By Thousands of Readers: The Popularity of Jules de Grandin. If you haven't seen these books, I would recommend them.

Brian861
09-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Cool, Mike!

Martin
09-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Just received the 2nd volume of the projected five book Seabury Quinn, The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin series, by Night Shade Books. I haven't had a chance to read either book, Horror on the Links and The Devil's Rosary, but the production values look good, the cover art is really nice. My only complaint, and I know this doesn't or won't matter to some people, is that both volumes have the same introduction. I know lots of folks don't read intros, indeed, I read an article once that claimed intros are a waste of time for those that write them and those that take the time to read them. I disagree, but that's another forum entry LOL!! I think highlighting the career of Seabury Quin, WWI Vet and mainstay of Werid Tales for nearly 30 years, is a worthy project for Nightshade and I hope they fulfill the promise of the first two books. The second Volume does have a secondndary intro or maybe an Essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz, "Loved By Thousands of Readers: The Popularity of Jules de Grandin. If you haven't seen these books, I would recommend them.

Great pickup and I completely agree with you on introductions! I love introductions in books.

RonClinton
09-09-2017, 05:51 PM
I'm collecting this Quinn series as well, though I haven't yet picked up the second volume that just came out. But I will. :-) I agree with you regarding the production quality of the books...they are truly handsome volumes.

mhatchett
09-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I have the paperbacks that came out in the 70's, but this set is going to be great. Did youever see the Manly Wade Wellman set they did? beautiful!

RonClinton
09-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Oh yes, I have the slipcased, hardcover set they did of Wellman's fiction. A beautiful set.

I did, however, skip the set they did of Hodgson's fiction. I've always kind of regretted that, though.

mhatchett
09-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I passed as well, only so much cash in the wallet LOL!!

RonClinton
09-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

https://s26.postimg.org/680u218y1/taylorcollier.jpg
[/quote]

c marvel
09-14-2017, 07:22 AM

I finally got the package in Wednesday's mail. It was sent Media Mail. All of the books are cool. I did my research first and somehow missed seeing the Horror Drive-In chapbook was signed so that was neat to notice that after opening the package. The seller added a novelette-Whisper by Keith Blenman. I definitely got a good deal!

Cap

Sock Monkey
09-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Bernard Taylor S/#d (matching) HC set, Centipede Press. John Collier, Tartarus Press HC.

[/QUOTE]

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.

RonClinton
09-14-2017, 04:56 PM
I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.

I was unsure about these when they were first announced even though I did want to read them, but when they were offered at $33 each for the set, it was a no-brainer for me. No surprise, as per Centipede's typical output, they're quite nice. That said, they are the "no frills" end of the Centipede spectrum -- that is to say, no interior artwork...just the book proper and illustrated endpapers on the two reprints, featuring the old covers of previous editions in full color (and, of course, the sig/limitation pages). The short-story collection has no such illustrated endpapers. But let's face it, with even minimal bells-and-whistles, they're still more handsome than 95% of what else is being published out there, and at $100 for the set, they're a steal.

I'm very much looking forward to reading them...this'll actually be my first time reading Taylor, as he was one of those authors that I never read back in the day, even though I saw his paperbacks at the used bookstores all the time. If he's half as good as Charles L. Grant, et al make him out to be, these books should be overdue treats.

bugen
09-14-2017, 05:25 PM
this'll actually be my first time reading Taylor

The Godsend knocked me over. I think you're going to love it.

mhatchett
09-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Jonathan Carroll's The Crows Dinner came in today, read a few pieces already, Jack's Last Christmas Tree, Saved by the Invisibles, The Beauty of Long Conversations, I think I'm going to really like the book, great writing in short, powerful bursts. Makes you think.

TacomaDiver
09-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Like Ron, I couldn't pass the set up for $99. Admittedly, I don't know who Bernard Taylor is, but CP does such a good job, and the price was beyond right. The books sounded interesting (a few recent-ish CP releases have sounded interesting so I've picked them up.)

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.[/QUOTE]

Martin
09-15-2017, 05:11 AM
My latest purchase is the magazine Birth, Movies, Death put out by Mondotees.com. The current issue is all Stephen King movies. I can't recommend this publication enough. I will get some pictures posted this weekend.

https://mondotees.com/collections/birth-movies-death/products/stephen-king-bmd

RonClinton
09-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Jonathan Carroll's The Crows Dinner came in today, read a few pieces already, Jack's Last Christmas Tree, Saved by the Invisibles, The Beauty of Long Conversations, I think I'm going to really like the book, great writing in short, powerful bursts. Makes you think.

I've been giving this one some serious thought...you might have pushed me over the edge.

mhatchett
09-15-2017, 06:21 PM
It's a good book, reasonably priced, I don't think you'll be disappointed. After reading Land of Laughs and now, some of this, I hope someone reprints his other titles.

" I’m really enjoying Jonathan Carroll’s, The Crow’s Dinner. A few months ago, I read Carroll’s Land of Laughs and it was fantastic. Carroll often writes what’s called magical realism, so right up my alley. However, Crow’s Dinner is just, I don’t know, magical. It’s a collection of autobiographical snippets about Carroll and his observations on life. Some entries are only a paragraph long, so far, nothing longer than a couple pages. And it’s a meandering book, one I can pick up and read wherever I want, table of contents be damned LOL. It’s a book full of hors devours that are so good, that you forget about the entrée!!"

Sock Monkey
09-16-2017, 05:05 AM
Like Ron, I couldn't pass the set up for $99. Admittedly, I don't know who Bernard Taylor is, but CP does such a good job, and the price was beyond right. The books sounded interesting (a few recent-ish CP releases have sounded interesting so I've picked them up.)

I've been debating about the Bernard Taylor books. I really should just pull the trigger. I find that with Centipede Press, I wind up passing more than buying and almost always tend to regret it.[/QUOTE]

God, I should just pull the trigger...

TacomaDiver
09-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Do it.

God, I should just pull the trigger...[/QUOTE]

rjmyers
09-18-2017, 11:07 PM

[/QUOTE]

Just received my Bernard Taylor set. Looking forward to reading them, but noticed that even the mighty Centipede Press that everyone seems to drool over (rightly so) can screw up - or maybe their printer. According to the shrink-wrapping, my set is #233. Oh, but not so. My copy of Sweetheart, Sweetheart within the shrink-wrap is actually #239. I mention this only if you are supposed to be the proud owner of the #239 set and find that is not so. I will happily trade copies with you if that is the case so your set can be reunited.

mhatchett
09-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Hi,
Did you contact Jerad? He will usually make arrangements to get the books to the proper owner in these rare cases. I know he had sent an email out about this issue.

rjmyers
09-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Did you contact Jerad? He will usually make arrangements to get the books to the proper owner in these rare cases. I know he had sent an email out about this issue.

Yes, I told him that it personally wasn't a big deal and I was happy to leave things as they were, but if someone was expecting #239 I would be happy to trade. He decided to let things ride.

slayn666
09-21-2017, 02:58 AM
This seems to be happening more frequently with Jerad...

RonClinton
09-26-2017, 04:39 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/y3mwse2bt/recentbks.jpg

All signed/limited (except for the Woolrich, of course).

Brian861
09-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Nice!

Sock Monkey
09-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Great adds!

Brian861
09-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Your PM box is full, Ron.

Martin
09-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Great additions. I am hearing really good things about The Crow's Dinner.

jeffingoff
09-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Great additions. I am hearing really good things about The Crow's Dinner.

I was shocked that The Crow's Dinner was in the last SubPress grab bag since it was just published!

RonClinton
09-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks, guys -- yes, pretty pleased about all these (that Woolrich volume, in particular, is one I've wanted (at a decent price) for close to two decades...guess patience pays off sometimes :-) ).

I saw your unboxing, jeffingoff, and was surprised as well. Maybe if it had been an unsigned overrun, but to get a new one...surprising (but good fortune for you!). Btw, speaking of your videos, I keep thinking back on your one for Goblin...I think you may have pushed me into a copy when before it was one I'd planned to skip. Check with Earthling on your commission.

RonClinton
09-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Your PM box is full, Ron.

Fixed -- thanks for the notice!

jeffingoff
09-26-2017, 06:14 PM
I saw your unboxing, jeffingoff, and was surprised as well. Maybe if it had been an unsigned overrun, but to get a new one...surprising (but good fortune for you!). Btw, speaking of your videos, I keep thinking back on your one for Goblin...I think you may have pushed me into a copy when before it was one I'd planned to skip. Check with Earthling on your commission.

Those unboxing videos are so off the cuff that I don't often say everything that comes to mind later. When I was shelving my haul, I thought "wait second, isn't this BRAND SPANKING NEW!" Only then did the shock set in and I couldn't understand why they would bundle it with the rest. Essentially, that grab bag was like buying Medusa's Web at full price and getting 10 books for free. It was crazy. And Medusa's Web was a book I was already interested in.

I hate being the one to push someone into buying something because now I feel responsible if you hate it. But Paul's commission check was too sweet to pass up. I hope you used the code JEFFINGOFF when you purchased. Otherwise I won't get a dime. :D

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. It was fun and creepy and I think Malerman has tremendous potential.

TacomaDiver
09-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Sleeping Beauties arrived today - that's a big book.

But what also came in today that surprised me by its size is Sub Press's Swan Song. Now there's a big box. I didn't realize that that sucker was going to be as large as it ended up being.

Martin
09-27-2017, 03:07 AM
Sleeping Beauties arrived today - that's a big book.

But what also came in today that surprised me by its size is Sub Press's Swan Song. Now there's a big box. I didn't realize that that sucker was going to be as large as it ended up being.

I am settling for hearing Sleeping Beauties on audio since I am getting the book when I see them next week. Have to admit it felt weird not buying a King book on publication day.

TacomaDiver
09-27-2017, 03:15 AM
I forgot to cancel my preorder so I’ll be ending up with three copies after the Portland event. Fingers crossed I can somehow manage a signed version.

I am settling for gearing Sleeping Beauties on audio since I am getting the book when I see them next week. Have to admit it felt weird not buying a King book on publication day.

mhatchett
09-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Books like this are why I keep trawling thrift stores!!

Theli
09-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Those unboxing videos are so off the cuff that I don't often say everything that comes to mind later. When I was shelving my haul, I thought "wait second, isn't this BRAND SPANKING NEW!" Only then did the shock set in and I couldn't understand why they would bundle it with the rest. Essentially, that grab bag was like buying Medusa's Web at full price and getting 10 books for free. It was crazy. And Medusa's Web was a book I was already interested in.

I hate being the one to push someone into buying something because now I feel responsible if you hate it. But Paul's commission check was too sweet to pass up. I hope you used the code JEFFINGOFF when you purchased. Otherwise I won't get a dime. :D

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it. It was fun and creepy and I think Malerman has tremendous potential.

Looks like you did real good!

RonClinton
09-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Books like this are why I keep trawling thrift stores!!

That looks like a fantastically fun read...nice snag!

Better read it fast, though, as that "Paranormal" section might come in handy...from the size of that acorn on the floor, it looks like you have some evil, gigantic squirrels roaming around your home at night...

mhatchett
09-27-2017, 10:47 PM
HAHAHA!!!

c marvel
10-06-2017, 04:00 AM
I received More Than Midnight by Brian James Freeman (Brian found and sent me a copy of MTM). A Hard Case Crime The Colorado Kid by Stephen King paperback and the one book I did order before my vacation time off - The SL Night Wraith by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes from SST Publications.

Cap

Brian861
10-06-2017, 06:18 AM
I received More Than Midnight by Brian James Freeman (Brian found and sent me a copy of MTM). A Hard Case Crime The Colorado Kid by Stephen King paperback and the one book I did order before my vacation time off - The SL Night Wraith by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes from SST Publications.

Cap

Nice adds!

Martin
10-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Cap

Both More Than Midnight and Colorado Kid are great reads, congratulations!

RonClinton
10-13-2017, 03:13 AM
A couple new acquisitions arrived together today...that was one big box, I tell ya! :cool:

https://s1.postimg.org/1gjz6aun0f/bestofsub.jpg

Martin
10-13-2017, 03:41 AM
A couple new acquisitions arrived together today...that was one big box, I tell ya! :cool:

https://s1.postimg.org/1gjz6aun0f/bestofsub.jpg

Nice additions!

Brian861
10-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Nice, Ron!

HumphreyBear
10-13-2017, 05:57 AM
They look like beautiful books.

RonClinton
10-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks, guys -- yes, they are quite beautiful. I question a bit my splurge to buy the S/L of THE BEST OF SUBTERRANEAN rather than the trade, given my 'meh' take on most fantasy and contemporary sci-fi (which presumably this collection may (or may not) contain), but I'm also a bit of an anthology fan, so it made sense at the time. I hope it'll justify the cost. I am certainly excited and pleased and confident about SWAN SONG, though...while I have an inscribed 1st HC trade of it (the Dark Harvest HC), I'm thrilled to add this new S/L to my collection.

RonClinton
10-17-2017, 02:34 PM
https://s1.postimg.org/68ahh4twyn/pbshell.jpg

Brian861
10-17-2017, 06:22 PM
https://s1.postimg.org/68ahh4twyn/pbshell.jpg

Super cool, Ron! Love the inscription. Isn't that bottom right one an AC/DC lyric?

RonClinton
10-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. Will prefaces all his Too Much Horror Fiction blog posts with an allusion to a song lyric, so that would make sense.

Martin
10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Super cool, Ron! Love the inscription. Isn't that bottom right one an AC/DC lyric?

It is lyrics and the name of the song.

TacomaDiver
10-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Hell ain’t a bad place
Hell is from here to eternity
~ Iron Maiden \m/

(At least that’s what I hear in my head.)

Martin
10-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Hell ain’t a bad place
~ Iron Maiden \m/

Here is what I hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTe5oOUrqA

Theli
10-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Hell ain’t a bad place
~ Iron Maiden \m/

That's what was playing in my head too.

bookworm 1
10-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Both songs and the book are great there end it now. :o. I really want a croc paperbacks from help. That book looks great.

Brian861
10-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Ah. Thought so, Martin. Thanks!

RonClinton
10-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Regarding the book itself, I finished it over the last two nights, and it's just as good as you've likely heard...for those of us who've been reading the genre for a long while (me: 30 years) and were there in the '80s boom and the '90s bust, it's a bittersweet stroll down memory lane. For those who are new to it all, it'll be a great introduction to what many of us Old Timers think of as the Good 'Ol Days, when bookstores proliferated and horror pbos in all their silver foil glory stared up at us on shelves everywhere. My only complaint is that it's not longer...hopefully there'll be a sequel down the road.

RonClinton
10-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Got tired of my To Be Read (TBR) pile(s) being stacked up three different piles on the floor in my otherwise organized and clean office/library...too damn messy and seemed like unsightly testaments to my lack of restraint.

While it's still abundantly clear I have far too many books in my TBR pile and have no cause to buy new books (and yet, of course, I will :cool: ), especially given my reduced reading time of late -- at least now they're organized and all together in one spot (though I still had to put a small pile on the side on the floor...oh well). Cheap DVD tower only cost $40 today, but pays big dividends in organizational peace of mind.

http://s1.postimg.org/4wtlbc6kkf/TBRtower.jpg

Brian861
10-21-2017, 02:12 PM
I've given in completely to audiobooks, Ron. Otherwise, it'd be an endless battle.

Martin
10-21-2017, 07:35 PM
I've given in completely to audiobooks, Ron. Otherwise, it'd be an endless battle.

Been really enjoying audiobooks lately. I have always enjoyed short stories on audio but I always preferred full length novels be read over listened to. I have been listening to full length novels over the last few months and find myself wondering why I resisted this for so long. With that said I still love the feel of a book in my hands will not stop reading physical books.

pkbrent
10-22-2017, 07:56 PM
I never met him, but the author is usenet/internet friend of mine going back to 1990. He also published a Kabbalah book. Currently he is writing a book about Dante's Inferno. I always buy books by my friend's. Anything Colin writes is truly a keeper. http://mathbandit.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=321&action=edit

c marvel
10-25-2017, 11:12 AM
I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap

Martin
10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap

They both sound cool.

RonClinton
10-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
Dennis Etchison
Adam Corbin Fusco
W. F. Harvey
Arthur Machen
George R. R. Martin
Richard Matheson
Michael Reaves
Al Sarrantonio
Clark Ashton Smith
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

https://s1.postimg.org/3m4xdmeh5r/chpbk1.jpg

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

https://s1.postimg.org/192awf0vov/chpbk2.jpg

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

https://s1.postimg.org/9md3icoi9r/chpbk3.jpg

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

https://s1.postimg.org/856yglkl8v/chpbk4.jpg

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

https://s1.postimg.org/75qv3fi1sv/chpk5.jpg

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/store/the-ghost-box

Theli
10-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Unlike you, Ron, I'm definitely sold on gimmicky things. That's why I love William Castle! Well you just made a new customer for Hingston and Olsen. This looks great. I can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

Martin
10-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
Dennis Etchison
Adam Corbin Fusco
W. F. Harvey
Arthur Machen
George R. R. Martin
Richard Matheson
Michael Reaves
Al Sarrantonio
Clark Ashton Smith
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

https://s1.postimg.org/3m4xdmeh5r/chpbk1.jpg

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

https://s1.postimg.org/192awf0vov/chpbk2.jpg

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

https://s1.postimg.org/9md3icoi9r/chpbk3.jpg

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

https://s1.postimg.org/856yglkl8v/chpbk4.jpg

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

https://s1.postimg.org/75qv3fi1sv/chpk5.jpg

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

That is fantastic!

bugen
10-25-2017, 09:13 PM
That is really sweet, Ron. Thanks for the pics!

mhatchett
10-26-2017, 12:18 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing the ordering info as well!
Mike

c marvel
10-26-2017, 04:29 AM
They both sound cool.

I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap

Dave1442397
10-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Thanks, those look awesome! I just ordered it :)

Theli
10-26-2017, 01:29 PM
I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap

I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.

RonClinton
10-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Theli and Dave: Glad I could help, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Happy reading!

c marvel
10-26-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.

Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap

RonClinton
10-26-2017, 10:52 PM
It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is,

An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.

Theli
10-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap

I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.

Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory! :p

Brian861
10-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots... It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

That is really cool, Ron!

c marvel
10-29-2017, 12:20 PM
I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory! :p

Tonight I took a closer look at Torso by Brian Michael Bendis. While it does have some elements of true crime and is advertised as a true crime graphic novel--It technically (IMO) is not a true crime graphic novel. If you would look Theli, I'd welcome your opinion.
Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto is the real deal and is now on my to buy list.

Cap

c marvel
10-31-2017, 04:46 PM
I did purchase Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto. I got a super deal! I stumbled across some Gold Medal paperbacks billed as true crime. They are about classic murder trials. See the image I've included of one cover. ~Cap 20232

Theli
10-31-2017, 04:52 PM
Fantastic cover art.

RonClinton
10-31-2017, 08:13 PM
As a Gold Medal fan, I was going to suggest these true crime/trial editions, but didn't know how easy they would be to find. Glad you picked one up, and hope you enjoy it.

Theli
10-31-2017, 08:15 PM
There's a book store near me that is just loaded with old vintage PBs. Unfortunately not too much in the horror vein (though lots of the Zebra era). Might need to scour for some of these too. Always fun digging up old gems.

RonClinton
10-31-2017, 08:32 PM
There's a book store near me that is just loaded with old vintage PBs. Unfortunately not too much in the horror vein (though lots of the Zebra era). Might need to scour for some of these too. Always fun digging up old gems.

I wish I had a used bookstore like that near me… I have to do all my '50s and '60s vintage paperback scouring on eBay.

c marvel
10-31-2017, 08:37 PM
As a Gold Medal fan, I was going to suggest these true crime/trial editions, but didn't know how easy they would be to find. Glad you picked one up, and hope you enjoy it.

I am only looking at the Gold Medal true crime/trial editions. I just learned about them early Tuesday am. ~Cap

Theli
11-01-2017, 03:44 PM
I wish I had a used bookstore like that near me… I have to do all my '50s and '60s vintage paperback scouring on eBay.

Well if there is ever anything you are looking for let me know. They're pretty cheap too, normally $4-5.

RonClinton
11-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Theli...nothing leaps to mind (I have pretty full runs of all my favorite vintage authors), but if something does, I'll be sure to let you know.

RonClinton
11-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Arrived yesterday: The S/L Graveyard Edition of Bentley Little's THE HANDYMAN. Very much looking forward to reading this one, as Little is a longtime favorite of mine.

RonClinton
11-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Came away this weekend with a Holy Grail :cool: and am excited to share my good news.

I've been a Cormac McCarthy fan for quite some time. In general, I'm a genre hound, and have only half a dozen or so Literary authors whose work I follow faithfully and read. McCarthy is one of them, and, in fact, THE ROAD is my favorite book of all time, bar none...to my mind, it is one of those rare novels wherein the words on the page come together to fashion a work of art.

Now, McCarthy has never authorized a signed/limited of THE ROAD, as he has with some of his other books, and in fact refuses to sign copies. There was a UK 1st HC that that had a very limited number of publisher's bookplate tipped in, but those are the only legitimate signed copies out there. McCarthy has signed (and, I think I recall, numbered) 1,250 1st U.S. HCs, but those copies are being held at his residence for his son (for whom he wrote the book) to sell when the boy turns 18 (I think he's in his mid teens now...?) or whenever the son chooses beyond that point. McCarthy's deliberate refusal to sign other copies of his Pulitzer-Prize winning book guarantees this stash will create a nice nest-egg for his son when that time comes.

But enough of THE ROAD. On to my weekend's Grail.

McCarthy has created a number of other fine novels that I think most dark fiction fans would enjoy, perhaps most especially BLOOD MERIDIAN and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. McCarthy was a little more liberal in signing copies 1st HCs of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN that some of his other works, so they are out there, but of course they still go for a pretty penny, due to the relative scarcity and McCarthy's popularity (which only seems to grow). There was also a slipcased S/L of NO COUNTRY, but signed trade HCs continue to be offered and sold at $500 to $800.

A local bookstore was having a 40% off sale, and I knew they had the following book...I'd watched it for a few years now, lusting after it like no other book in my area but knowing its champagne pricing was way beyond my beer budget. I did note that they had lowered the price about a year ago from the high end of the spectrum to the lower end, though that still failed to sell it to the local audience, and it was still beyond my budget. However, when this 40% off sale was announced, the last vestiage of restraint that I had crumbled, and though I wandered the store for a couple hours and mulled it over while I was looking at the rest of the stock, I knew deep down the dye was cast.

And so, I came away with this:

https://s1.postimg.org/3zvcmqturz/cormac1.jpg

Here is the signed page:

https://s1.postimg.org/1tvy0z2eqn/cormac2.jpg

One of the things that finally pushed me over the edge -- something I didn't even know the book had until I asked the personnel this weekend to examine the book (rather than lust after it through glass as I'd done for years) was a previous owner's postcard from 2005 that established authenticity and provenance; it was a surprise and delight to find this within. Stephen King isn't the only author whose sig is forged to defraud, so one has to be careful...this card laid to rest any such concerns I may have had. I tell you, though, I sure wish I'd been able to get it for the $24.95 that the previous owner did. :(

https://s1.postimg.org/282drubkgv/cormac3.jpg

So, in short, I've very pleased and excited to finally have a signed copy of a book from one of my favorite authors, and while it is not THE ROAD, it is probably my second favorite book by him. If you've only seen the movie and not read the book, I'd recommend reading the source novel. The film is a fine and well-done adaption, but as is often the case, the book is even better.

bugen
11-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Great info, Ron, and congrats on the find! Nice to hear you loved THE ROAD so much. I've been meaning to get to it for a long while but should obviously prioritize it.

jeffingoff
11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Congrats, Ron! And I completely agree--THE ROAD is the best book I've ever read.

Martin
11-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Came away this weekend with a Holy Grail :cool: and am excited to share my good news.

I've been a Cormac McCarthy fan for quite some time. In general, I'm a genre hound, and have only half a dozen or so Literary authors whose work I follow faithfully and read. McCarthy is one of them, and, in fact, THE ROAD is my favorite book of all time, bar none...to my mind, it is one of those rare novels wherein the words on the page come together to fashion a work of art.

Now, McCarthy has never authorized a signed/limited of THE ROAD, as he has with some of his other books, and in fact refuses to sign copies. There was a UK 1st HC that that had a very limited number of publisher's bookplate tipped in, but those are the only legitimate signed copies out there. McCarthy has signed (and, I think I recall, numbered) 1,250 1st U.S. HCs, but those copies are being held at his residence for his son (for whom he wrote the book) to sell when the boy turns 18 (I think he's in his mid teens now...?) or whenever the son chooses beyond that point. McCarthy's deliberate refusal to sign other copies of his Pulitzer-Prize winning book guarantees this stash will create a nice nest-egg for his son when that time comes.

But enough of THE ROAD. On to my weekend's Grail.

McCarthy has created a number of other fine novels that I think most dark fiction fans would enjoy, perhaps most especially BLOOD MERIDIAN and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. McCarthy was a little more liberal in signing copies 1st HCs of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN that some of his other works, so they are out there, but of course they still go for a pretty penny, due to the relative scarcity and McCarthy's popularity (which only seems to grow). There was also a slipcased S/L of NO COUNTRY, but signed trade HCs continue to be offered and sold at $500 to $800.

A local bookstore was having a 40% off sale, and I knew they had the following book...I'd watched it for a few years now, lusting after it like no other book in my area but knowing its champagne pricing was way beyond my beer budget. I did note that they had lowered the price about a year ago from the high end of the spectrum to the lower end, though that still failed to sell it to the local audience, and it was still beyond my budget. However, when this 40% off sale was announced, the last vestiage of restraint that I had crumbled, and though I wandered the store for a couple hours and mulled it over while I was looking at the rest of the stock, I knew deep down the dye was cast.

And so, I came away with this:

https://s1.postimg.org/3zvcmqturz/cormac1.jpg

Here is the signed page:

https://s1.postimg.org/1tvy0z2eqn/cormac2.jpg

One of the things that finally pushed me over the edge -- something I didn't even know the book had until I asked the personnel this weekend to examine the book (rather than lust after it through glass as I'd done for years) was a previous owner's postcard from 2005 that established authenticity and provenance; it was a surprise and delight to find this within. Stephen King isn't the only author whose sig is forged to defraud, so one has to be careful...this card laid to rest any such concerns I may have had. I tell you, though, I sure wish I'd been able to get it for the $24.95 that the previous owner did. :(

https://s1.postimg.org/282drubkgv/cormac3.jpg

So, in short, I've very pleased and excited to finally have a signed copy of a book from one of my favorite authors, and while it is not THE ROAD, it is probably my second favorite book by him. If you've only seen the movie and not read the book, I'd recommend reading the source novel. The film is a fine and well-done adaption, but as is often the case, the book is even better.

Nice pickup!

RonClinton
11-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks, guys -- still can't quite believe that I finally have this book in my collection, but am enjoying every minute of coming to terms with it. :)

Theli
11-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Outstanding Ron!

I read The Road earlier this year and had quite enjoyed it.

RonClinton
11-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Great info, Ron, and congrats on the find! Nice to hear you loved THE ROAD so much. I've been meaning to get to it for a long while but should obviously prioritize it.

I'd obviously encourage you to do so...I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I think being a parent helps become immeasurably immersed in its horror , but it certainly isn't a necessity.

THE ROAD is a love letter to the institution of fatherhood, an instruction book on what it means to be a father. The reason this book resonated so strongly with so many people -- myself included -- is not because it was a fresh take on apocalyptic fiction, but rather that the father and son and their relationship were captured so perfectly and beautifully that their struggle became the readers' struggle, their love framed in the love we have for our own children. Unnamed, they became every father, every son/child. They represented the most precious thing imaginable -- the love of a child, the love and trust of a parent -- in the worst setting possible. THE ROAD was a brilliant, breathless work of fiction, and was, at its core, unique, unlike any apocalyptic work before or since.

“Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Brian861
11-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Congrats, Ron!

mhatchett
11-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Great find and patience Ron! I think we all know that churning feeling when that book we want is just out of reach, especially a gem like this. I know it will be a valued treasure in your collection for years to come!

mhatchett
11-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Big fan of Weird Westerns, missed these when they came out, been on the lookout ever since. I found all four of Thunderstorm's Douglas Western series from 2 different sellers on ebay. I also picked up Dust Devils Jonathan Janz, paperback and the Thunderstorm edition.

jeffingoff
11-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I'd obviously encourage you to do so...I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I think being a parent helps become immeasurably immersed in its horror , but it certainly isn't a necessity.

THE ROAD is a love letter to the institution of fatherhood, an instruction book on what it means to be a father. The reason this book resonated so strongly with so many people -- myself included -- is not because it was a fresh take on apocalyptic fiction, but rather that the father and son and their relationship were captured so perfectly and beautifully that their struggle became the readers' struggle, their love framed in the love we have for our own children. Unnamed, they became every father, every son/child. They represented the most precious thing imaginable -- the love of a child, the love and trust of a parent -- in the worst setting possible. THE ROAD was a brilliant, breathless work of fiction, and was, at its core, unique, unlike any apocalyptic work before or since.

“Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

We're carrying the fire, Ron. Keep carrying the fire.

RonClinton
11-07-2017, 02:45 PM
We're carrying the fire, Ron. Keep carrying the fire.

:)

daverob
11-08-2017, 01:37 AM
Congrats, Ron! And that’s a great book-buying story. I have obtained a couple of holy grail books like that in the past couple years which have been out of reach until a discount situation arose and they’ve been absolutely worth whatever budget stretching it took to make it work.

RonClinton
11-08-2017, 02:22 AM
Thanks again, guys. Sure, it's only been a few days, but contrary to B. B. King's lament, the thrill *isn't* gone. :)

RonClinton
11-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Picked up a couple books from the recent Subterranean Press scratch-and-ding sale:

https://s1.postimg.org/2m512vgmof/IMG_1509.jpg

The Spencer is a S/L, the Haldeman a trade edition. Both are in excellent condition.

Brian861
11-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Great pick ups all!

jeffingoff
11-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Picked up a couple books from the recent Subterranean Press scratch-and-ding sale:

https://s1.postimg.org/2m512vgmof/IMG_1509.jpg

The Spencer is a S/L, the Haldeman a trade edition. Both are in excellent condition.

Nice grabs! I was so pissed that I was too late to get a copy of THE HUNTER FROM THE WOODS. Oh the pain! The pain of it all!

RonClinton
11-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Nice grabs! I was so pissed that I was too late to get a copy of THE HUNTER FROM THE WOODS. Oh the pain! The pain of it all!

I really wanted that Bradbury chapbook they had (SKELETONS), but like your experience w/ HUNTER it was Sold Out by the time I got there.

c marvel
11-14-2017, 10:35 PM
I got I'll Bring You The Birds From Out Of The Sky by Brian Hodge w. the recently offered SAVE25 DISCOUNT. ~Cap

Sock Monkey
11-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Big fan of Weird Westerns, missed these when they came out, been on the lookout ever since. I found all four of Thunderstorm's Douglas Western series from 2 different sellers on ebay. I also picked up Dust Devils Jonathan Janz, paperback and the Thunderstorm edition.

I really like the look of the Douglas Western books, probably my favorite from TSB. Great adds!

Daninsky
11-18-2017, 12:41 AM

Grim Riders is one of my favorite novels that I read in 2017. Hell of a lot of fun.

Sock Monkey
11-18-2017, 12:44 AM
So I decided to take the gamble and got in on one of Dark Region's offers: For Halloween, they did a double up offer if you preordered I Am The Abyss, it would qualify you for two of their large grab bags. Abyss is one of the books that I've been excited about from DRP and finally decided to break down and pick it up, hoping that the grab bags would either (a) be of some interest or (b) be able to resell the books to help offset the cost of Abyss. I got my books and I think I did pretty well for myself. The contents were:

Off Season by Jack Ketchum and the Limited of The Booking by Ramsey Campbell:

Black Wings V signed limited from PS:

The slipcased lettered edition of The Booking:

Sock Monkey
11-18-2017, 12:52 AM
The remaining bits of my DRP grab bag:

The slipcased lettered edition of Bones Are Made To Be Broken by Paul Michael Anderson:

A TPB and hardcover:

I also got a Magic card and a Cthulhu Wars figure, but I'm not really into those.

While I probably could have been okay without getting two different editions of the same book, I think that the contents of the grab bag were pretty nice.

Sock Monkey
11-18-2017, 12:54 AM
Grim Riders is one of my favorite novels that I read in 2017. Hell of a lot of fun.
That's been on my shelf for a bit now, I really need to get around to it.

Theli
11-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Looks like you did damn good with the grab bag actually! W.H. Pugmire is very enjoyable to read and a great bonus in addition to the Ketchum and Campbell books.

Martin
11-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Very nice Grab Bag!

Brian861
11-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Congrats, Keith!

RonClinton
11-21-2017, 04:44 PM
The last few weeks I've been answering the nostalgic siren song that Grady Hendrix' PAPERBACKS FROM HELL inspired, and picked up a couple hauls of those wondeful Good Ol' pbs from the '80s/'90s horror boom. No real rhyme and reason to it my selections...just whatever was available at the time and looked like it had a chance to be something I'd actually enjoy reading and not just owning. I may have one more haul coming, but if not then these two hauls may be it for some time to come, as they're getting tougher and tougher to find as time wears on and inventory churns to more modern books in those mom-and-pop shops (that are themselves getting tougher and tougher to find).

https://s18.postimg.org/pabnrpu4p/pfh1.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/iwmkogwyh/pfh2.jpg

RonClinton
11-25-2017, 12:32 AM
No classic horror-boom pb fans? Ahh, you all don't know what you're missing...

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer? I snagged a copy of Jack Ketchum's short-story collection GORILLA IN THE ROOM.

TacomaDiver
11-25-2017, 02:10 AM

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer? I snagged a copy of Jack Ketchum's short-story collection GORILLA IN THE ROOM.

I grabbed the trade editions of the three CD McCammon books and the trade edition of the father son Chizmar book. All to go with my limiteds.

c marvel
11-25-2017, 02:54 AM
I grabbed the trade editions of the three CD McCammon books and the trade edition of the father son Chizmar book. All to go with my limiteds.

There is a group on Facebook, Small Press Limited Book Collectors, that I have been following. Someone in that group posted about BookOutlet.com where I found and after reading some reviews purchased Grim Death And Bill The Electrocuted Criminal. It is an illustrated 1930s Pulp-style novel. At PaperbackSwap.com, I have an account there, I saw available and snagged Winds of Revolution: Time Frame AD 1700-1800 (Time Frame). I read the Time Frame series. With my PaperbackSwap account this was almost a freebie. I see there are now two books at CD Publications that I want. I am unsure if I'll take advantage of their 50% Black Friday offer.

Cap

TacomaDiver
11-25-2017, 03:01 AM
Half off is a good deal though. :)

Martin
11-25-2017, 03:32 AM

Have not bought anything yet but still may.

slayn666
11-25-2017, 01:48 PM

This is actually the worst possible time to try to beef up your collection of old horror pbs; Grady's book has caused prices to jump due to all the Johnny-come-latelys.

RonClinton
11-26-2017, 12:36 AM
This is actually the worst possible time to try to beef up your collection of old horror pbs; Grady's book has caused prices to jump due to all the Johnny-come-latelys.

Yep, I'm finding that to be very true, unfortunately. Patience and luck will be my friends, I hope.

bugen
11-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer?

I grabbed the Backshot works from Gorman and Piccirilli, as well as Paul F. Olson's Whispered Echoes based on Kevin Lucia's recent write-up.

RonClinton
11-26-2017, 04:57 AM
I have to say, I wasn't as impressed with the Olson collection as I thought I'd be. The Backshot volumes are great, though.

bookworm 1
11-26-2017, 03:00 PM
I went with 2 of the McCammon books.

RonClinton
11-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Speaking of Black Friday, I picked up a signed HC of READY PLAYER ONE during Barnes & Noble's Black Friday event. Lots of love for this book all over the web peppered with some post-hype scathing reviews of very consistent criticisms...but I threw caution to the wind and grabbed a copy. I go in with low expectations, but am hoping for the best. If I don't care for it, there are enough rabid fans out there that I shouldn't have any problem getting my money back on it via eBay...it already seems to be going for more there than cover price.

Anybody else grab a copy (or anything else, for that matter) from B&N's special signed books Black Friday sale?

c marvel
11-29-2017, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=RonClinton;87886]No classic horror-boom pb fans? Ahh, you all don't know what you're missing...

Anybody pick up a CD book via their 50% Black Friday offer?

I was quite tempted. The books I wanted-One just announced title, one new title I wasn't aware of at all and one title that I've wanted for a while. I have other things going on in my life presently which make buying more new books a low priority unless it's something special. Today, I went through the Jury Duty process. I just watched in the court room. I wasn't selected (or however you put it). I just had to show up. I'm hoping on my remaining days off, my regular days off, I can complete one course and get that out of my hair. If that happens, after that, things will go back to normal for me.

Cap :cool:

TacomaDiver
11-29-2017, 02:57 AM
Anybody else grab a copy (or anything else, for that matter) from B&N's special signed books Black Friday sale?

I picked up the signed Tom Hanks books, and John Hodgman book, and the one I REALLY REALLY wanted - the signed Bruce Dickinson book. \m/

Dave1442397
11-29-2017, 10:56 AM

I read the Grady Hendrix book, and I bet I have a lot of those books on my shelves in the attic. I used to buy any used horror novels I could find in the '80s, and bought a ton of new paperbacks in the '90s too.

TacomaDiver
12-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Double booked myself last night and elected to see Andy Weir instead of watch my beloved Sounders destroy poor Houston to clinch their second straight Western Conference Championship trophy.

Approximately 600 people were here - by far the biggest signing I’ve attended at Third Place Books. I didn’t grab any pictures but they set up an airlock that you entered through and the stage had moon rocks complete with a window so you can watch the earth rise (which I learned technically doesn’t happen because the moon is locked to the earth.)

The first 30 minutes or so were a conversation between Andy and Neal Stephenson and then questions from the audience. We learned that Watney would be sorted into Hufflepuff and welders don’t return phone calls to authors wanting research.

The actual signing was very assembly line - no time to chat and no posed pictures.

Regardless I had a blast and while I regret missing the Sounders match, I watched the DVR recording when I got home.

My big ol’ bald head

Got my Sub Press edition of The Martian signed, along with the short story in Ready Player One, Laos from Sub Press, and of course Artemis.

mhatchett
12-01-2017, 07:45 PM
A few additions!

RonClinton
12-01-2017, 08:21 PM
TD/Jason: I was there last night as well. It was, as you say, a huge gathering...other than King, it was by far the largest signing I've ever attended. The airlock entrance thing was cheesy but pretty neat...again, not anything like I've seen at a signing before. I think Neal Stephenson, who conducted the interview, needs to keep his day job as author, though...a skilled interviewer he's not. Speaking of Stephenson, I got one of the free posters, but handed it to the employee at the signing table to give to a more appreciative home. I didn't bring my S/L of THE MARTIAN (inscribing a S/L???...sacrilege, I say!), so only had my copy of ARTEMIS for him to sign (well, inscribe, actually, as I have the S/L of it on order). Seemed like a nice, smart guy filled with good humor...just like his books.

TacomaDiver
12-01-2017, 11:49 PM
I grabbed a poster that was lying around. Figured it might come in handy somewhere/sometime. For the record I haven’t read anything from Stephenson, but I do have a few of his books on my want to read list.

And you’re right - not a skilled interviewer.

Sacrilege to sign the SL? I can see that. I just thought it would be fun. And since I have no plans to sell it works. But getting him to sign RPO is just an upgrade to my SL.

It was a fun evening.

Theli
12-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great evening. I have to admit that I resent not having much for signings here in Winnipeg.

Mike: I was considering grabbing Devil's Day. Have you read any of Hurley's other work? Any opinions?

TacomaDiver
12-02-2017, 06:24 PM
I read The Loney because Richard Chizmar said something about it on the Twitters. Snagged one of the Tartarus Press editions for a decent price and now I see people asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. Are they really worth that kind of cash because I will sell mine.

Story wise I thought it was okay. Didn’t leave me any lasting impressions.

Brian861
12-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Cool event, Jason and Ron! Congrats on the sigs!

Nice adds, Mike!

mhatchett
12-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great evening. I have to admit that I resent not having much for signings here in Winnipeg.

Mike: I was considering grabbing Devil's Day. Have you read any of Hurley's other work? Any opinions?

I have not read any of his stuff at all, but I'm a huge fan of weird westerns, so it seemed to fit. I've just dipped into it, Seems pretty violent and graphic, but well written. Teens stay away, nothing sparkling about these vampires, AH's with sharp teeth and appetites LOL!!

mhatchett
12-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Picked this up Treasure hunting yesterday!

RonClinton
12-03-2017, 07:59 PM
I have not read any of his stuff at all, but I'm a huge fan of weird westerns, so it seemed to fit. I've just dipped into it, Seems pretty violent and graphic, but well written. Teens stay away, nothing sparkling about these vampires, AH's with sharp teeth and appetites LOL!!

Mike, I think you've got DEVIL'S DAY and DUST DEVILS confused -- Janz' is the one w/ weird western vampires, while Hurley is the one...without them. :)

Theli, for what it's worth, here's what someone on another forum said about Hurley's DEVIL'S DAY when I asked the same thing...he rated it a 1 out of 10. "If you want a novel about the bleak realities of farming in rural England along with the traditions, superstitions and folk songs passed down through generations of farmers then this is the book for you. If you want a compelling narrative, well-rounded characters and some element of horror that would justify this being published by a specialty genre press then steer well clear." Not exactly a glowing review, certainly nothing like what one read about THE LONEY.

slayn666
12-04-2017, 02:03 AM
I read The Loney because Richard Chizmar said something about it on the Twitters. Snagged one of the Tartarus Press editions for a decent price and now I see people asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. Are they really worth that kind of cash because I will sell mine.

Story wise I thought it was okay. Didn’t leave me any lasting impressions.

It's free to list stuff on eBay nowadays (unless you sell more than 50 items a month, or buy a bunch of listing upgrades), so toss it on there and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I also picked up a copy (ebook, though) because of Rich's recommendation and was pretty disappointed. He (and others) were making it out to be the next big thing in horror and there's effectively no horror and very little suspense. It was a huge disappointment.

TacomaDiver
12-04-2017, 03:10 AM
They seem to go in the $300 range which I find kind of crazy. There was the best offer accepted on a copy listed at over $700. Now that Hurley has a new one maybe I’ll throw it up there with a ridiculous price but accept offers I’m confident that I’ll make my money back and then some.

Brian861
12-04-2017, 03:50 AM
Picked this up Treasure hunting yesterday!

:cool:

c marvel
12-04-2017, 06:19 AM
It's free to list stuff on eBay nowadays (unless you sell more than 50 items a month, or buy a bunch of listing upgrades), so toss it on there and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I also picked up a copy (ebook, though) because of Rich's recommendation and was pretty disappointed. He (and others) were making it out to be the next big thing in horror and there's effectively no horror and very little suspense. It was a huge disappointment.

I read that Stephen King also praised The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley. While you may have been disappointed by The Loney or the subject matter of Devil's Day doesn't appeal to you, those recommendations by King and Richard Chizmar sure made those two Tartarus Press titles by AMH sell out fast. The TP Devil's Day is also sold out.

Cap

mhatchett
12-04-2017, 11:18 AM
You're right Rom, I was spacing. I haven't started Devils' Day yet. It seems to be up my alley, remote village strange happening, the past coming back to haunt the future.

Theli
12-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty okay with a slow burn horror, or little horror in general as long as the story and/or characters are well written. I really liked The Girl in a Swing, and it was more about pottery than horror.

I try not to go into books (or films) with much expectations, and I'm not too concerned about genre. I like a wide variety of books. The negative review from another poster that Ron posted actually does kind of make me interested, haha.

mhatchett
12-07-2017, 12:42 AM
This arrived today, I'm waiting for the companion volume, should be here soon!

Theli
12-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Very cool! You dig up some mighty interesting books.

Brian861
12-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Looks interesting.

RonClinton
12-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Love Valancourt...congrats on the volume.

c marvel
12-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Devil's Day.

Cap

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
I took advantage of Dark Region's recent 50% Off Sale and picked up the lettered edition of You, Human. I'm not a big science fiction fan, but since it is labeled as "dark" science fiction, I thought it might be more in my wheelhouse. The line up is fantastic: Richard Chizmar, Mort Castle, John R. Little, Thomas F. Monteleone, John Skipp, Josh Malerman and Stephen King to name a few.

I have a slipcased lettered edition (Bones Are Made To Be Broken) and a Ultra-Deluxe edition (Midnight Meat Train) from DRP, but hadn't yet seen any of their standard traycased editions in person yet and was pleasantly surprised. The traycase is solid and the leather binding on the book is very nice. I'm now even more excited for the lettered Off Season and Birdbox I have on order from them.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 05:41 PM
More pictures of the lettered edition of You, Human:

RonClinton
12-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Very, very nice... would be interested to hear your feedback on that anthology, as it has crossed my radar a time or two, but I didn't pull the trigger on it for much the same reason as you held off initially.

My recent arrival is more modest: Ketchum's GoRILLA IN MY ROOM from CD's recent half-off sale. Looking forward to it...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).

jeffingoff
12-07-2017, 05:45 PM
That looks fantastic! Nice grab!

Also, I am happy to learn that you also haven't gotten your lettered edition of Off Season. It's not just me.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm hoping to dig into You, Human pretty soon and will let you know what I think.

I really need to pick up Gorilla In My Room. I keep putting it off, but I need to pull that darn trigger. I was initially dismayed when I heard about the contents of Ketchum's recent Little Book, but after giving it a shot, I really liked it. As far as his collaborations with Lucky McKee, I haven't yet read The Woman--though it's in my TBR pile--but I did rather like I'm Not Sam.

jeffingoff
12-07-2017, 05:52 PM
...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).

I really didn't like The Woman. It was a deep step down from Offspring.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 05:54 PM
That looks fantastic! Nice grab!

Also, I am happy to learn that you also haven't gotten your lettered edition of Off Season. It's not just me.

Thanks! As far as Off Season, DRP's last production update on December 1st, states that they are hoping to be able to have these shipped by December 15. It looks like they are still at the binder.

Brian861
12-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Looks like a good production.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 06:07 PM
I really didn't like The Woman. It was a deep step down from Offspring.

That's disappointing to hear. I still haven't gotten around to Offspring. Kinda hoping there will be a new special edition coming out in the future.

jeffingoff
12-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks! As far as Off Season, DRP's last production update on December 1st, states that they are hoping to be able to have these shipped by December 15. It looks like they are still at the binder.

Yep, I saw that. But I've been hurt before. Hurt in the worst way that a first-world collector of expensive horror books can be hurt. In fact, worrying about my delayed shipment from DRP has caused me to almost pass on my afternoon lattes. Almost.

Seriously, though, I remember when DRP was going to crack down on publishing timelines (seemingly throwing some shade at CD) and then Off Season is delayed a few times totaling about 5 months.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Yep, I saw that. But I've been hurt before. Hurt in the worst way that a first-world collector of expensive horror books can be hurt. In fact, worrying about my delayed shipment from DRP has caused me to almost pass on my afternoon lattes. Almost.

Seriously, though, I remember when DRP was going to crack down on publishing timelines (seemingly throwing some shade at CD) and then Off Season is delayed a few times totaling about 5 months.

I remember the crack down as well. I don't think that Off Season is the worst of their problems. I believe Dreams From the Witch House has had significant delays, I believe prompting the crack down. Honestly, there are so many variables that go into the productions of these volumes from signature sheets to binders to separate slipcase/traycase makers that things often going awry doesn't surprise me. Transparency with customers is always the best policy and Dark Regions has gotten better with that.

As far as shade being thrown on CD, that happens quite a bit, unfortunately. Most small presses run into delays, even the best ones. I think the main sticking point is the long wait after preorders. CD has ALWAYS done right by me, so I don't mind the wait.

jeffingoff
12-07-2017, 06:20 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I still haven't gotten around to Offspring. Kinda hoping there will be a new special edition coming out in the future.

I actually read Offspring before reading Off Season and I thought Offspring was the better book. There was more nuance to Offspring and more social commentary added to the shock and horror we read in Off Season. It was definitely a welcome progression (if read in the chronological order, of course) so I had high hopes for The Woman. But it went too far with the social commentary--beating the readers over the head with the point of the series (which in my mind is to demonstrate the meaning of savage and point out how we are not nearly as civilized as we like to believe or, at the very least, that civilization is just a mask we wear when it suits our needs but all to easily discarded when it conflicts with our lusts). If The Woman would have made the commentary serve the story and not the other way around, it could have been a very welcome close to the trilogy. But the baddie in that book (not the woman) was too cartoonishly bad.

Sock Monkey
12-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I actually read Offspring before reading Off Season and I thought Offspring was the better book. There was more nuance to Offspring and more social commentary added to the shock and horror we read in Off Season. It was definitely a welcome progression (if read in the chronological order, of course) so I had high hopes for The Woman. But it went too far with the social commentary--beating the readers over the head with the point of the series (which in my mind is to demonstrate the meaning of savage and point out how we are not nearly as civilized as we like to believe or, at the very least, that civilization is just a mask we wear when it suits our needs but all to easily discarded when it conflicts with our lusts). If The Woman would have made the commentary serve the story and not the other way around, it could have been a very welcome close to the trilogy. But the baddie in that book (not the woman) was too cartoonishly bad.

That's what I was afraid of with the movie adaptation of The Woman and why I stayed away. Maybe if I go in with lowered expectations with the book, I'll be pleasantly surprised...

jeffingoff
12-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I remember the crack down as well. I don't think that Off Season is the worst of their problems. I believe Dreams From the Witch House has had significant delays, I believe prompting the crack down. Honestly, there are so many variables that go into the productions of these volumes from signature sheets to binders to separate slipcase/traycase makers that things often going awry doesn't surprise me. Transparency with customers is always the best policy and Dark Regions has gotten better with that.

As far as shade being thrown on CD, that happens quite a bit, unfortunately. Most small presses run into delays, even the best ones. I think the main sticking point is the long wait after preorders. CD has ALWAYS done right by me, so I don't mind the wait.

Yeah, if you're a collector who jumps on preorders, then you have to have patience. I completely understand the delays. I don't want my long-term collectible to be rushed if it means a sloppy production or errors. So I'm not mad (too much) when things get delayed--but I can be impatient.

RonClinton
12-08-2017, 12:23 AM
My recent arrival is more modest: Ketchum's GoRILLA IN MY ROOM from CD's recent half-off sale. Looking forward to it...for whatever reason, I haven't been much interested in his Lucky McKee collaborations, so I don't think I've read a new Ketchum book since 2011's THE CROSSINGS (if one doesn't count the reprint-rich LITTLE BOOK).

...and this one came today:

https://s18.postimg.org/ko994w3mh/bubba.jpg

Sock Monkey
12-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Nice! I need to add more Lansdale to my collection.

Sock Monkey
12-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Yeah, if you're a collector who jumps on preorders, then you have to have patience. I completely understand the delays. I don't want my long-term collectible to be rushed if it means a sloppy production or errors. So I'm not mad (too much) when things get delayed--but I can be impatient.

I get more impatient for preorders to open up than I do for the book to arrive. Once I know I got my copy secured, I can usually just ride the tide. I’m not saying it’s always smooth sailing, but I don’t usually let it bother me.

jeffingoff
12-08-2017, 02:29 PM
I get more impatient for preorders to open up than I do for the book to arrive. Once I know I got my copy secured, I can usually just ride the tide. I’m not saying it’s always smooth sailing, but I don’t usually let it bother me.

That's exactly it.

bookworm 1
12-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Very, very nice... would be interested to hear your feedback on that anthology, as it has crossed my radar a time or two, but I didn't pull the trigger on it for much the same reason as you held off initially.

Secret Life of Souls is one of the best books I have read this past year. No really horror but very well written. I think it's their best collaboration to date. And I liked The Woman and I'm Not Sam.

bookworm 1
12-10-2017, 12:49 PM

I love this cover. I didn't get this one. I love Lansdale but for some reason I am one of the few who didn't like the first book.

mhatchett
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Really nice looking book!!

mhatchett
12-10-2017, 02:40 PM
And the Christmas Ghost stories keep coming LOL!! Folio Society, slip-cased, 2005.

Brian861
12-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Cool little book!

Theli
12-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Hey Mike, if you have a chance would you be able to share the table of contents for Folio's Christmas Ghost Stories?

mhatchett
12-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Absolutely!

Theli
12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Very nice list, many there I recognize and a some I don't, like "Ex-Private X". I do like Folio editions, they're a nice edition for a good price.

Thanks Mike!

jeffingoff
12-11-2017, 02:23 PM

I liked it, but I wanted to love it. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Did have it moments though. I'd definitely recommend it above Haven.

mhatchett
12-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Very nice list, many there I recognize and a some I don't, like "Ex-Private X". I do like Folio editions, they're a nice edition for a good price.

Thanks Mike!

NP. They do a nice product.

HumphreyBear
12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Tonight when I arrived home from work, my wife told me "there's a BIG box from Cemetery Dance for you".
The End of 2017 Grab Bag. No need for photos - you all probably know what they look like. But for what it's worth, here's how I did,

I'll Bring You The Birds From Out of The Sky (SL). Very excited about this one. I almost bought it the other day but remembered that I had a couple of grab bags coming.
The Dark Man - King Slipcased Trade. One of the only King titles that I don't own, and I have vacillated over this one. It's not a real book, is it? But the CD elves made the decision for me.
Gwendy. - Third printing. This is interesting. I already own a First printing and slipcase, but due to a shipping mishap from CD, I had a spare slipcase. Now I have a book tht fits the slipcase exactly. I might sell it if I can get organised. More importantly, my OCD side is not so bothered about that empty slipcase.
Murder as a Fine Art - David Morrell (PC version of the signed limited). Nice. I haven't read any Morrell since the eighties, but it's a nice book.
Backshot by Tom Piccirilli (SL). I know nothing about this but it looks promising. The sort of thing I expect in a grab bag.
4 Stories (SL chapbook). Cool (not counted in the 10)
Sleeping Beauties - Scribner. I already have this edition, which brings me to;
The Handyman - Little. Ditto.
The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmons - Subterranean SL Slipcased. My first SubPress book I think. It's beautiful.
The Fireman - Joe Hill. I really like this book. I have a nice little Joe Hill collection including a first of the Gollancz Fireman. Well now I also have a signed Harper Collins edition, and a signed numbered slipcased version from PS Publishing to go with it. I have almost bought the PS version a few times, but resisted. I'm a long way from Brian861's JH shelf, but...

So I am very, very happy with my haul.

Brian861
12-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Great haul, HB! And yes, I might be a tad obsessed with JH :). Curious, is The Handyman the Graveyard Edition?

HumphreyBear
12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
No Brian, it's the Trade Hardback. I would have been very happy with the Graveyard Edition, but I seriously doubt that's grab bag material.
And remember that the people on this board admire and understand your obsession.

Here's something to make you feel superior - my paltry Joe Hill collection.

And here's the whole bookshelf - - the parts that aren't obscured, anyway.

Brian861
12-14-2017, 10:03 PM
You've got the JH basics covered for sure and I don't have nearly any King books to speak of. I moved away from his 1st/1st with a few excepts. My goals as far as King will be signed and limiteds down the road, but not a priority whatsoever. Main focus is shoring up my Hill collection and moving forward with the branches off my collection tree. Some would probably say odd that my main focus isn't King but my interest just doesn't lie there for the moment.

RonClinton
12-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Some would probably say odd that my main focus isn't King but my interest just doesn't lie there for the moment.

Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels :( -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company. :)

* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.

jeffingoff
12-15-2017, 03:23 PM
* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.

I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.

RonClinton
12-15-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.

I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.

jeffingoff
12-15-2017, 05:06 PM
I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.

I wish I would have passed on Revival. That book just made me angry. I never hated a King book before. I've liked some more than others, but I never hated any.

Brian861
12-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels :( -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company. :)

Very good point, Ron about TDT.org and fans. Plus you can collect a lot of more things with the same money that one S/L King item would cost you. For me personally, expense is a major contributing factor when it comes to collecting King. Outside of your run of the mill trades of course.

I never really considered King the King of Horror either. Most of his writings aren't horror based at all but more supernatural or ordinary people in extraordinary situations.

I agree with the four novels you listed, Ron but I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years. I listen to Joyland on CD and loved that story as well. Again, a who done it with a supernatural element. I read the Bill Hodges trilogy but Mr. Mercedes was by far the best in the series. And Revival, ugh, don't get me started on that one. Lots of folks rave about that novel but I think that's probably my least favorite King novel to date. I only really liked book 2 and 4 in the TDT series.

Finished up listening to The Talisman awhile back and wasn't a huge fan of it. Currently listening to Black House and liking it better. I just don't make time to read anymore so listening is best for me.

King's new novel forthcoming, The Outsider, looks like it might be right up my alley though.

mhatchett
12-15-2017, 08:50 PM
I really enjoyed early King, 'Salems Lot is my favorite, I think it's a classic. The Stand, Dead Zone, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, He writes so much good Short fiction, Cycle of The Werewolf, Wow, Just love that one. Recently, I liked Joyland a bunch. I tend to avoid most of his Tomes, just don't have the time. I pretty much cherry pick what I collect of his, not a completest at all, too much other interesting stuff out there.

Daninsky
12-15-2017, 09:02 PM
This year's End of the Year coup for me. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein deluxe edition from Centipede. Quarter bound in crimson Chieftain goatskin with vellum panels. Accompanying suite of all illustrations as full-color prints, each individually signed by Harry O Morris. Limited to fifteen copies.

RonClinton
12-15-2017, 09:52 PM
I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years.

I've tried twice to get into DUMA KEY...I make it about 100 pages in and then find my interest in it gone. No idea why...a lot of folks seem to love this book. Maybe someday I'll give it a third shot.

Daninsky: Wow, outstanding -- congrats on the coup...very, very nice!

Brian861
12-15-2017, 10:01 PM
I love colored page ends. I wish more publishers would do this. Not sure how much more it adds to the expense on both ends though.

mhatchett
12-16-2017, 12:32 AM
Daninsky, way to finish the year strong LOL!!!

c marvel
12-16-2017, 07:49 AM
I found on eBay (at a better price than Amazon) Japan's War With China, 1937-1945: The Struggle For Survival by Rana Mitter. It's fairly lengthy book, 480 pages. I knew about the beginnings of this conflict of course. I didn't know the whole history. I've looked for a complete, thorough history of this conflict now and than, it's just one of those subjects where it's difficult to find a good, complete history.

Cap

mhatchett
12-16-2017, 11:20 AM
It is interesting reading. I learned a lot from Charles G. Finney's fantastic book Old China Hands 1961 about his time in China with the US Army's 15th Infantry Regiment (Can Do!) 1927-29. Finney is best known as the author of The Circus of Dr Lao. It's very clear that he was hugely impacted by his time in China, a country rocked by conflict for many, many years.

Theli
12-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Outstanding Daninsky!

RonClinton
12-19-2017, 06:04 PM
It's all Jeff's fault...he finally wore me down. I will of course sue for financial compensation and emotional distress if it's not every bit as good as he claims it is:

https://s14.postimg.org/ami69gppt/goblin1.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/kjt72j51d/goblin2.jpg

Brian861
12-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Looks like a good production.

jeffingoff
12-19-2017, 07:15 PM
It's all Jeff's fault...he finally wore me down. I will of course sue for financial compensation and emotional distress if it's not every bit as good as he claims it is:

https://s14.postimg.org/kjt72j51d/goblin2.jpg

I play the long game! Happy to wear you down. Even happier if you like the book as much as I did.

Theli
12-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Very nice! I too have a copy, but it's being held at Camelot Books until other books are set to ship.

RonClinton
01-02-2018, 11:33 PM

"Hello, Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe...? Yeah, I need to speak to someone about kind of an odd but very necessary lawsuit I'd like to file..."

Martin
01-03-2018, 02:53 AM
"Hello, Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe...? Yeah, I need to speak to someone about kind of an odd but very necessary lawsuit I'd like to file..."

Made me miss Car Talk! Did you not like Goblin or just expected more? I have Bird Box and plan to give that a read before deciding on this one.

RonClinton
01-03-2018, 05:35 AM
Made me miss Car Talk! Did you not like Goblin or just expected more? I have Bird Box and plan to give that a read before deciding on this one.

No, didn't care for it at all. The writing read to me as if tone-deaf to the way real people act and, primarily, speak. It felt strikingly immature in both authorial skill and experience...I have a feeling this was early, early work, and were he to have sought my advice I would have suggested it stay in the proverbial trunk. Notably, I didn't pick up this raw, unpolished voice in the other work of his I've read (and enjoyed), A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE, which leads me to again think this was an early work. I sure was excited to enjoy this one as much as Jeff, but it just didn't happen for me.

RonClinton
01-03-2018, 02:37 PM
No, didn't care for it at all. The writing read to me as if tone-deaf to the way real people act and, primarily, speak. It felt strikingly immature in both authorial skill and experience...I have a feeling this was early, early work, and were he to have sought my advice I would have suggested it stay in the proverbial trunk. Notably, I didn't pick up this raw, unpolished voice in the other work of his I've read (and enjoyed), A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE, which leads me to again think this was an early work. I sure was excited to enjoy this one as much as Jeff, but it just didn't happen for me.

All that said, though, I'm still drawn to his new upcoming one, UNBURY CAROL, as the weird western vibe of it has a real lure. We'll see.

jeffingoff
01-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Well, now the fine people in this forum will have reactions from either end of the spectrum to choose from! It can be terrible or terrific!

I feel bad that you read something on my recommendation that you disliked this much. I read your comment looking for common ground between our takes and I really couldn't find any. I felt swept up in this place and had a lot of fun visiting. The enjoyment perhaps caused me to look past the machinations of the story and nothing called attention to the mechanics. For me.

But I sympathize with you. I could take your reaction to Goblin and apply it almost exactly to Haven. Because when the illusion doesn't hold, it's time to put the book down.

Sorry, Ron!

jeffingoff
01-03-2018, 02:46 PM
All that said, though, I'm still drawn to his new upcoming one, UNBURY CAROL, as the weird western vibe of it has a real lure. We'll see.

Hahahaha, ahem, well, I didn't enjoy Unbury Carol as much. Not that my opinion should hold that much weight with you any more. For me, Unbury Carol could have been so much more! SOOO much more. The potential of the world constructed here was not nearly fully realized. I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I ended up looking for the details that weren't shared.

TJCams
01-03-2018, 03:33 PM
I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't added more books to my collection..... might add pics later, as I have an issue somehow of them being rotated 90°.

Added recently include: Under A Watchful Eye - Adam Nevill, Children Of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky, Afterparty - Daryl Gregory, Dark Matter - Blake Crouch, and the one I going to start next....Songs For The Lost - by local Windsor, ON author Alexander Zelenyj (Thanks to the author for hooking me up with this one!).

RonClinton
01-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Hahahaha, ahem, well, I didn't enjoy Unbury Carol as much. Not that my opinion should hold that much weight with you any more. For me, Unbury Carol could have been so much more! SOOO much more. The potential of the world constructed here was not nearly fully realized. I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I ended up looking for the details that weren't shared.

No worries, Jeff. In fact, I've told the sharks at Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe to stand down and cancel the lawsuit. Just as well, as they viewed your YouTube videos and indicated that you would make for a compelling defendant.

Any book is a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Fortunately, my batting average (to mix metaphors) is pretty good, so a foul ball like GOBLIN is not a big deal. It is, however, perhaps, a lesson learned: Maybe Malerman is just not for me, even though I keep trying to make him so. I gave up on BIRD BOX about 1/3 of the way through, gave up on GOBLIN even sooner, and BLACK MAD WHEEL didn't even appeal enough to me to give it a try. Malerman is the square peg that I keep trying to force in my round-holed set of preferences, and perhaps it's time to give up trying, regardless of how much buzz surrounds him.

jeffingoff
01-03-2018, 04:07 PM
No worries, Jeff. In fact, I've told the sharks at Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe to stand down and cancel the lawsuit. Just as well, as they viewed your YouTube videos and indicated that you would make for a compelling defendant.

Any book is a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Fortunately, my batting average (to mix metaphors) is pretty good, so a foul ball like GOBLIN is not a big deal. It is, however, perhaps, a lesson learned: Maybe Malerman is just not for me, even though I keep trying to make him so. I gave up on BIRD BOX about 1/3 of the way through, gave up on GOBLIN even sooner, and BLACK MAD WHEEL didn't even appeal enough to me to give it a try. Malerman is the square peg that I keep trying to force in my round-holed set of preferences, and perhaps it's time to give up trying, regardless of how much buzz surrounds him.

Yikes. Yeah, I don't blame you for taking a pass on Malerman. The author/reader relationship is an intensely personal one and if you don't like having that author in your head, you shouldn't invite that author over for story time. I tried with Bentley Little and I might try again. But the few times I had him up in my story lounge he just shit gems and stared out the window and interrupted himself with nonsense.

Thanks for calling off the sharks!!

RonClinton
01-03-2018, 04:30 PM
And see, I love (most of) Bentley Little's work. Vive la difference!

jeffingoff
01-03-2018, 06:15 PM
And see, I love (most of) Bentley Little's work. Vive la difference!

AH! So here is where I can maybe set things right--restore balance to this forum. Since my recommendation has caused you to lose funds and time (as well as the pain and suffering of reading an author you do not care for) then I will, in turn, buy and read a Bentley Little book of your choosing.

You should know that I own and have read The Circle. And I tried to read The Return some years ago. Also, I almost bought The Handyman mostly because it was the first Graveyard Edition--but I did find the premise intriguing.

So just give me the title and I will buy it and read it.

Martin
01-03-2018, 06:32 PM
I will have to move The Bird Box up in my TBR pile to see what I think of this author.

Regarding Bentley Little, I enjoy much of his work but the only one I truly love is The Mailman.

HumphreyBear
01-03-2018, 08:47 PM
I really liked Bird Box and didn't think much of Black Mad Wheel. I have almost bought Goblin a few times (mainly on the strength of Jeffingoff's enthusiastic review) but have resisted.
I am still not sure about Little. I have really enjoyed a few short stories, and liked both The Mailman and The Consultant, although both of them tend toward the silly side. I can forgive that though if the story's good enough. I have about 6 more unread Little hardbacks from CD and elsewhere that I intend to get to, but they keep being usurped by something else in my tbr list. Not necessarily a good sign, but I will persist.
And I've ordered the forthcoming collection. There's no logic here.

Martin
01-03-2018, 10:16 PM
I really liked Bird Box and didn't think much of Black Mad Wheel. I have almost bought Goblin a few times (mainly on the strength of Jeffingoff's enthusiastic review) but have resisted.
I am still not sure about Little. I have really enjoyed a few short stories, and liked both The Mailman and The Consultant, although both of them tend toward the silly side. I can forgive that though if the story's good enough. I have about 6 more unread Little hardbacks from CD and elsewhere that I intend to get to, but they keep being usurped by something else in my tbr list. Not necessarily a good sign, but I will persist.
And I've ordered the forthcoming collection. There's no logic here.

I think leaning to the silly is a recurrent theme in Littles work. In The Mailman it worked real well, in The Handyman it did not for me. The Consultant remains in my TBR file.

RonClinton
01-04-2018, 12:16 AM

I know where there's a barely-read copy for sale... ;)

There's no logic here.

There rarely is in our hobby.

RonClinton
01-04-2018, 12:34 AM
AH! So here is where I can maybe set things right--restore balance to this forum. Since my recommendation has caused you to lose funds and time (as well as the pain and suffering of reading an author you do not care for) then I will, in turn, buy and read a Bentley Little book of your choosing.

You should know that I own and have read The Circle. And I tried to read The Return some years ago. Also, I almost bought The Handyman mostly because it was the first Graveyard Edition--but I did find the premise intriguing.

So just give me the title and I will buy it and read it.

R.e. the "silly" label above...I tend to think of Little's work as a type of bizarre surrealism...some very off-kilter threat and event(s) that, yes, taken literally would be silly to conceive as real, but in the recognizable-but-bizarre world in which his characters exist, that off-kilter-from-reality-but-grounded-in-satirical-surrealism can pack a mean punch and it can work very well. Keep in mind that not all of his books are structured like this...some are more mainstream horror -- but that latter form just doesn't seem to work well for him.

That said, even as a Little fan, I acknowledge only about 75% of his stuff is great...the other 15% is meh and there's a 10% portion that's crap. Unfortunately, THE CIRCLE and THE RETURN were both shots at mainstream horror and both failed miserably, and as such reside in the 'crap' column, so you really haven't seen Little at his best, to say the least.

So, Jeff, since you threw open the offer, I would recommend buying and reading THE STORE or THE MAILMAN. Both novels use his trademark satirical, surrealistic, bizarre tropes in exemplary fashion...if you don't like these two, you just won't ever like Little. THE IGNORED is also a sentimental favorite of mine, but I hesitate to recommend it to you as a first "good" read because while it's brilliant and perhaps his finest book, it's atypical of his body of work...whereas THE STORE and THE MAILMAN encapsulate perfectly what makes his work so singularly unique and, I think special (usually). To be frank, I can't decide between the two, so if I can't sway you to buy both, I would suggest just picking up the one that seems easiest or cheapest...though I'm sure both are easily attainable for $5 ea. on the eBay scene if you're after just a pb to test the waters.

You might want to pick up both, though...if I were a betting man, I'd bet you'll want to read the other after reading the first. :cool:

EDIT:

By the way, if both blow you away and you want further Little recs, I've starred the novels that I really liked...two stars for the really good ones, one star for the pretty good ones...if there's no star, I found them 'meh' or 'crap' and not worth the time of even a casual Little reader.

The Revelation (1990) *
The Mailman (1991) **
Death Instinct (1992) (writing as Phillip Emmons), also known as Evil Deeds *
The Summoning (1993)
The Night School (1994) – released as University in 1995 *
Dominion (1996)
The Ignored (1997) **
Guests (1997) – released in the U.S as The Town in 2000
The Store (1998) **
The House (1999)
The Walking (2000)
The Town (2000) – updated re-release of Guests
The Association (2001) **
The Return (2002)
The Policy (2003) **
The Resort (2004) *
Dispatch (2005) *
The Burning (2006)
The Vanishing (2007)
The Academy (2008)
His Father's Son (2009)
The Disappearance (2010)
The Haunted (2012)
The Circle (2012)
The Influence (2013)
The Consultant (2016) *
The Handyman (2017) *

Hmmm...maybe that 'meh' and 'crap' percentages need to be bigger...I didn't realize until I did this exercise how many of his I wouldn't necessarily recommend. I guess that just goes to show just how good he is when he's good...it tends to temper the memories of the bad ones. That said, there are a few of the unstarred ones that are still actually fairly decent reads, but really only necessary for the Little completist.

jeffingoff
01-04-2018, 01:28 AM
So, Jeff, since you threw open the offer, I would recommend buying and reading THE STORE or THE MAILMAN.

I just bought the CD trade hardcover of THE MAILMAN. I’ll keep an open mind. I’m encouraged by what you said about The Circle and The Return.

We’ll see!

RonClinton
01-04-2018, 01:48 AM
I just bought the CD trade hardcover of THE MAILMAN. I’ll keep an open mind. I’m encouraged by what you said about The Circle and The Return.

We’ll see!

Will be interested to hear what you think.

bugen
01-04-2018, 12:38 PM
By the way, if both blow you away and you want further Little recs, I've starred the novels that I really liked...

Great post.

Dan Hocker
01-04-2018, 02:23 PM
I probably wouldn't classify The Circle as a novel. It's probably only barely long enough to be considered a novella. Then again I sometimes feel that the categorizing of this stuff is pretty arbitrary.

jeffingoff
01-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Great post.

No doubt! This should be the Bentley Little Wikipedia page.

jeffingoff
01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
I probably wouldn't classify The Circle as a novel. It's probably only barely long enough to be considered a novella. Then again I sometimes feel that the categorizing of this stuff is pretty arbitrary.

Yeah, it's short and it's divided into 4(?) separate stories--each more pointless than the last. AND I will add that Little had all the ingredients of a creepy as hell horror story, he just didn't follow any sort of recipe that could bring it all together into a satisfying dish.

Sock Monkey
01-04-2018, 03:18 PM
I agree with the growing consensus that Little’s work is a little hit-or-miss. Some of his stuff I truly enjoy, but others have left me decidedly cold. The only one I flat-out hated was The House. The definition of his work as “bizarre surrealism” is a good one. I’ve always classified it as “absurdist horror”.

Also, the recommendation list is great!

Sock Monkey
01-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it's short and it's divided into 4(?) separate stories--each more pointless than the last. AND I will add that Little had all the ingredients of a creepy as hell horror story, he just didn't follow any sort of recipe that could bring it all together into a satisfying dish.

I really need to revisit this. I remember thinking it was rather bonkers, and that it had a subtle gut punch of a last line or so. I also remember there being a couple elements that turned me off the story. Agreed that it isn’t Little’s best story.

jeffingoff
01-04-2018, 04:22 PM
I really need to revisit this. I remember thinking it was rather bonkers, and that it had a subtle gut punch of a last line or so. I also remember there being a couple elements that turned me off the story. Agreed that it isn’t Little’s best story.

Yeah, it was bonkers. And I like bonkers. Lansdale's The Drive In trilogy and Wong's John Dies at the End trilogy are all awesome. I look forward to rereading them all someday. But Little's brand of bonkers is just flat bonkers. The climax (I should just say end because the whole book was a flatline of WTF? and didn't take me to any new heights) had me wondering if I had fallen asleep while reading and found myself in one of those abstract dreams that have a lot of imagery but no narrative thread or plot line to follow. The big baddie in The Circle was the stupidest character I've ever encountered.

RonClinton
01-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Great post.

Thanks -- and thanks, too, for your recent review of LIBRARY OF THE DEAD...that's one I've been looking at for a couple years (and even learning more about the actual mausoleum it's based upon: https://oakland.chapelofthechimes.com/tour-our-facilities/) and just needed a little extra push to get me to commit. Consider me pushed. :)

jeffingoff
01-04-2018, 09:56 PM
CEMETERY DANCE has gotten SO MUCH of my money and it's only 4 days into 2018. It's going to be the YEAR OF THE RAMEN NOODLES

Sock Monkey
01-04-2018, 11:32 PM
CEMETERY DANCE has gotten SO MUCH of my money and it's only 4 days into 2018. It's going to be the YEAR OF THE RAMEN NOODLES

I feel your pain. CD is on a roll, but Centipede is gearing up for a good year too. Maybe we can all start a ramen co-op, pool our resources to get better ramen deals, stretching our meager food budgets...

Martin
01-05-2018, 02:03 AM

Feeling pretty good about myself right now. I have only laced one order with Cemetery Dance in 2018!

Sock Monkey
01-05-2018, 04:45 AM
It took me a while to get around to taking pictures, but here was my Christmas gift from my wife this year:

The Centipede Press edition of Peter Straub's Julia.

I had serious reservations that the book would live up to its rather steep price tag, but DEAR GOD, is this a good looking book! Centipede did an amazing job with this edition: from the cover art and binding, even the paper used on this thing is impressive. I've always had a sweet spot for this understated gem of a book in my heart, but now I'm happy to have this edition in my collection.

jeffingoff
01-05-2018, 12:06 PM
CD got me for four orders. Two are in stock books and two were preorders (of the same book!) Combined with all the stuff I bought in 2017 that is either in the warehouse or soon will be, and I have about 8 books coming to me this month.

Dan, if you want to put them all in one box that’d be great! I won’t even ask for reduced/refunded shipping costs if it just means that those books can come home faster! :D

jeffingoff
01-05-2018, 12:06 PM
It took me a while to get around to taking pictures, but here was my Christmas gift from my wife this year:

I had serious reservations that the book would live up to its rather steep price tag, but DEAR GOD, is this a good looking book! Centipede did an amazing job with this edition: from the cover art and binding, even the paper used on this thing is impressive. I've always had a sweet spot for this understated gem of a book in my heart, but now I'm happy to have this edition in my collection.

Wow! Julia is so hot!

jeffingoff
01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
I feel your pain. CD is on a roll, but Centipede is gearing up for a good year too. Maybe we can all start a ramen co-op, pool our resources to get better ramen deals, stretching our meager food budgets...

That’s a great idea. Maybe we should all live on a commune where we can stare at each other’s shelves!

Brian861
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Nice book, Keith! Congrats!

Martin
01-05-2018, 03:01 PM

That is a great gift! Thanks for posting the photos!

RonClinton
01-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Wow, that JULIA is beautiful -- sure makes me really examine my decision to skip it because of the price tag. Clearly, the book justifies its cost. That was a very generous gift from your wife, you're a lucky man. :)

mhatchett
01-06-2018, 01:22 AM
I passed as well but I'm looking forward to the Arthur Machen, Arthur Burk, Swords Against Death and Children of the Night.

Sock Monkey
01-06-2018, 06:00 AM
Thanks, everyone! I am definitely lucky to have a wife that indulges my hobbies!

Sock Monkey
01-06-2018, 06:02 AM
I passed as well but I'm looking forward to the Arthur Machen, Arthur Burk, Swords Against Death and Children of the Night.

I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to pick up the Arthur Burks book as I’m not familiar with his work. Any past experience with it?

Sock Monkey
01-06-2018, 06:04 AM
Wow, that JULIA is beautiful -- sure makes me really examine my decision to skip it because of the price tag. Clearly, the book justifies its cost. That was a very generous gift from your wife, you're a lucky man. :)

There was a copy on eBay for $250 or Best Offer. Maybe you can work out a deal that takes the sting out of that price tag a bit.

mhatchett
01-06-2018, 12:45 PM
I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to pick up the Arthur Burks book as I’m not familiar with his work. Any past experience with it?

None what-so-ever LOL!! But I read his biography, seems like an interesting guy and he was certainly prolific during the pulp era. " He served in the United States Marine Corps in World War I, and began writing in 1920. After being stationed in the Caribbean and inspired by the native voodoo rituals, Burks began to write stories of the supernatural that he sold to the magazine Weird Tales. In 1928 he resigned from the Marine Corps and began writing full-time. He became one of the "million-word-a-year" men in the pulp magazines by virtue of his tremendous output. He wrote in the neighborhood of 800 stories for the pulps.[1] He was well known for being able to take any household object that someone would suggest to him on a dare, and instantly generate a plot based around it. His byline was commonplace on pulp covers."
seemed interesting.

c marvel
01-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Today I received Missing From His Home by J Russell Warren. I saw this book on eBay. There was only one photo and I did know the book didn't have a dustjacket. The book was in great shape as advertised. One interesting feature that I've never seen in a vintage hardback book before is the plot summary printed on the first page inside the book. Maybe that is something the Australian publisher, Andrew Melrose Ltd, did with their books. Maybe there never was a dustjacket? I can tell I'll love reading this book as much as I liked the first book by the author.

Cap

RonClinton
01-06-2018, 10:26 PM
I own and have read Burks' Arkham House collection, and it was pretty good. Not sure I'd call him a "Master" of the form, though, nor arguably worth the MoTW price tag.