PDA

View Full Version : Writing Contest Final Round!

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Hocker
06-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Scraps by Steven Cox (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?219-Scraps)

Meat Socks by Nikita (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?295-Meat-Socks-by-Nikki-McKenzie)

The Dark Caller by mstrom (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?200-The-Dark-Caller)

By The Throat by Wesley Southard (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?223-By-The-Throat-by-Wesley-Southard)

Home Sweet Home by jmcraven (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?213-Home-Sweet-Home)

Rudy Jenkins Buries His Fears by RichardThomas (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?251-Rudy-Jenkins-Buries-His-Fears)

It Roars by SavageMouse (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?249-It-Roars)

13 by Craig Wallwork (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?266-13-by-Craig-Wallwork)

The Wings of a Fly by mlouisdixon (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?240-The-Wings-of-a-Fly)

Monotonous by Draven Ames (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?235-Monotonous)

Dr. Johnson's Patient by C.W. LasSart (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?196-Dr.-Johnson-s-Patient)

Dan Hocker
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Good luck to all the contestants. Voting will be open for one week. I will not be around when voting closes so do not be surprised if you do not hear from me at the end of the voting period. Also voting is a bit different for this round. Only the regular, active members of this forum can vote on this round. What does this mean, well this means if you are not a regularly participating member of the forum, you will not be able to vote. This is to eliminate vote recruiting and to make sure the best stories win. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

ozmosis7
06-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Good luck all! And gratz on making it this far.

Dan Hocker
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Now to get to work on the ones of these I haven't managed to read yet.

Steven Cox
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Now to get to work on the ones of these I haven't managed to read yet.

Hi Dan. Can you put me down as Steven Cox against my story "Scraps", please. Whilst 'Steve' is way more cool, 'Steven' has brought me luck here and I don't want to jinx it. Thank you.

I'm off to my therapist now...

bsaenz24
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
this means if you are not a regularly participating member of the forum, you will not be able to vote.

So, does that mean I get to vote a couple of times????? ;)

RichardThomas
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
best of luck everyone, this is going to be a grueling week - i'm honored to be here among so many fantastic stories

frik51
06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Looking forwards to reading the stories of these finalists.
Congratulations to everyone for making it this far!

sk

Dan Hocker
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
This is a really tough group to pick from. They are all very good.

SavageMouse
06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Very honored to make it into the final group, and out of so many awesome stories! I read every single entry, there was a LOT of talent in this contest! :D

Nikita
06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Congratulations to everyone and good luck! This really is a great group of stories and I'm happy to just have mine in the running--though I do anticipate lots of my hair falling out this week!

mstrom
06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Hello, my name is Mike and Iím an obsessive poll checker.

Seriously though, best of luck everyone!

RichardThomas
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
so, what if we have an 11-way tie, really BIG chapbook? lol

mstrom
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
This is a really tough group to pick from. They are all very good.

Well, I've got the perfect solution. Why not just call it quits now and publish them all! <hey, I figured I'd give it a shot.>

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Hello, my name is Mike and I’m an obsessive poll checker.

Seriously though, best of luck everyone!

I am holding myself to only a couple of times a day, after today :) I have things I need to do!

RichardThomas
06-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Well, I've got the perfect solution. Why not just call it quits now and publish them all! <hey, I figured I'd give it a shot.>

ha...as some now defunct band said "nice shot, man"

peteOcha
06-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I am holding myself to only a couple of times a day, after today :) I have things I need to do!

Good luck with that one!:) This one is going to be very close, it's no use lying to yourself, you know you'll be here every five minutes!

WesleySouthard
06-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm honored to be a part of the final group. Thanks to everyone who voted!

Draven Ames
06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Congratulations to everyone who made it this far. There are a lot of really good stories in this bunch and I'm honored to be a part of it all. Thanks to everyone for their votes and support to this point. There is no losing now. Everyone here did a great job and it shows.

This is a great cast.

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
This is a great cast.

We're making a movie now too?!!! I need to keep up with my email! :P

WesleySouthard
06-22-2011, 11:22 PM
We're making a movie now too?!!! I need to keep up with my email! :P

I was thinking more like a sitcom. Like "Friends", but actually funny and no overacting.

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I was thinking more like a sitcom. Like "Friends", but actually funny and no overacting.

HaHa! I like you guys, but I'm not sure I want to be rommates with you all ;)

Draven Ames
06-23-2011, 12:34 AM
That would be horrible. 11 horror writers living together...

WesleySouthard
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I'll bet we could get E! or VH1 to pick it up.

Brent Abell
06-23-2011, 12:56 AM
I'll bet we could get E! or VH1 to pick it up.

Or MTV, if they can get away with Jersey Shore they can get away with showing anything.

Draven Ames
06-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Too bad they don't get away with music anymore.

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 02:04 AM
This vote is going to be tight and nerve-wracking! Grrrrr-Thank GOD Dan decided to just do a week!

Draven Ames
06-23-2011, 02:10 AM
This will be a very long week.

mstrom
06-23-2011, 03:29 AM
ha...as some now defunct band said "nice shot, man"

I actually have that CD...

mstrom
06-23-2011, 03:35 AM
I just took a break to clear my head with a much needed fix of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Feeling rejuvenated I decided to take a quick glance at the polls. Big mistake. This is going to be a helluva long week...

RichardThomas
06-23-2011, 03:42 AM
This vote is going to be tight and nerve-wracking! Grrrrr-Thank GOD Dan decided to just do a week!

yep, a slow train to crazy town

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 03:53 AM
yep, a slow train to crazy town

Very slow...Very crazy. I am holding myself to at least 500 words on my story before I can take a break and check the polls-it sure motivates me to work fast!

RichardThomas
06-23-2011, 03:57 AM
what's the over/under on total votes? i expected there to be like 100 votes today, but maybe people are taking the time to read through all of these, for the first time, or again

spernst
06-23-2011, 04:02 AM
so last round saw some vote "recruiting"...who wants to be the first for vote buying? lol Do I hear ten dollars for my vote? going once...

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 04:10 AM
so last round saw some vote "recruiting"...who wants to be the first for vote buying? lol Do I hear ten dollars for my vote? going once...

We have already discussed that none of us are making any money LOL!

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 04:12 AM
what's the over/under on total votes? i expected there to be like 100 votes today, but maybe people are taking the time to read through all of these, for the first time, or again

I hope that at least the people who were involved in the contest will vote, if I hadn't made the final round, I still would've wanted my say on who gets picked :) Good luck everyone-I think this will be a close contest.

ozmosis7
06-23-2011, 04:21 AM
I hope that at least the people who were involved in the contest will vote, if I hadn't made the final round, I still would've wanted my say on who gets picked :) Good luck everyone-I think this will be a close contest.

I suspect this round (with the new changes) will reveal a more accurate number to the total number of actual voters. I'm glad Dan put it in for this round, because it will really bring out the cream of the crop. I've read all of the stories in the top group, and they are all excellent choices. But, seeing the best of those going through is what is the right thing. To be honest it was tough for me, as there were 4 I wanted to vote on. Whatever the case, this is the true test and good luck to those in the heat. It was a pleasure reading all of you stories.

ozmosis7
06-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Oh, and my guess on total votes would be 65, as that was the lowest count in one group before the final push.

Dan Hocker
06-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Oh, and my guess on total votes would be 65, as that was the lowest count in one group before the final push.

Just an fyi, there are about 125 members who have been active enough to qualify for voting in the final round.

RichardThomas
06-23-2011, 05:12 AM
that was funny spernst...pm me (kidding)

C.W. LaSart
06-23-2011, 06:01 AM
So about 100 more votes to go-if everyone votes-I'm going for more tums!

Craig Wallwork
06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I've decided there is too much pressure for me to keep checking in on this. I'm going to try and not even look at the results - at all. My palms are so sweaty I'm sure my laptop may explode and take off my face if I drop in here on a daily basis.

Before that happens, in the famous line from Fame, "This is where we start paying back... in sweat!" :D

All the best everyone.

Craig :)

Kenwood
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Vote has been cast. Good luck, ladies and gentlemen!

Randy D. Rubin
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I just voted and the stories were excellent the second time through. It was a very tough decision. Congratulations to all of you, crop creamers!

ozmosis7
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Just an fyi, there are about 125 members who have been active enough to qualify for voting in the final round.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come off as snotty there or anything. I just figured that one group had 65 until the last couple of days, so to me that meant 65ish people had read every story, or at least close to that, who could place a vote very quickly. Of course I didn't add in the people that didn't read any of the 1st round, and might vote this round because it's less to read or discount the people that have left the competition. We'll see, but I hope its a good turn out with 3 great stories rising to the top.

Ben Staad
06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I read all the stories again and placed my vote this morning. IMHO everyone of these stories are worthy of publication and it was a difficult choice. Best of luck to all the "winners" competing in the finals.

Dan Hocker
06-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to come off as snotty there or anything.

Don't worry you weren't. The only reason I was pointing how many there where is so that people aren't surprised if it gets that high. I know there where an awful lot of people waiting for the final round to read the stories because of the sheer volume of the first round. Most of the CD staff included.

TerryE
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I still need to finish reading them all again. In that first round, too many stories started blending together, reading them one after another. This time I printed them out, so getting a fresher look.

Reader/WriterJNT
06-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Congrats to the finalists! These stories are great! I certainly hope that there is another chance in the future for more story contests.

Dan Hocker
06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Just an FYI for the contestants in this round. If by chance it happens to end in a tie, the CD staff will be the official tie breaker.

Nik Houser
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Yup, right about to print out the stories so I can go over them in detail.

Draven Ames
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
If you have any critiques for my story, Nic, I welcome them. Just send me a PM with any suggestions.

Nik Houser
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
If you have any critiques for my story, Nic, I welcome them. Just send me a PM with any suggestions.

I'd be happy to, Draven. Flattered that you asked.

Menace
06-24-2011, 01:37 AM
All the stories are very good and it was a very hard decision but I finally narrowed it down to 3 choices. The only problem, I liked the 3 stories equally but I can only chose one and I lost my 3 sided coin last week so what do I do. Eenie meenie minie mo. No. One potato, two potato. No.
Then I had it.

My mother and your mother were washing clothes,
My mother punched your mother right in the nose.
What color was her blood?

Found this a fitting way to choose.

well actually I read the 3 stories one more time and finally picked one.

Good luck to all the finalists

KT Wagner
06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
I voted yesterday.

It would be nice for the finalists if all 125 eligible voters cast a ballot asap. It would likely save some nerves and stomach linings.

Best wishes to all of you.

KT

ozmosis7
06-24-2011, 02:45 AM
It's a tight race so far! Someone is going to win by a severed tongue for sure.

Draven Ames
06-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Yep. Welcome to hell week. :P

Dan Hocker
06-24-2011, 04:56 AM
It would be nice for the finalists if all 125 eligible voters cast a ballot asap. It would likely save some nerves and stomach linings.

The 125 eligible is only a rough estimate. That number could go up as the week goes on, as it's based off of a minimum post count, then the forum automatically promotes you to a new usergroup when you reach that level. I'm not going to say what the count is, but it'll be pretty obvious if people are spamming posts just to up their count.

ozmosis7
06-24-2011, 05:07 AM
it'll be pretty obvious if people are spamming posts just to up their count.

Awesome idea!

mstrom
06-24-2011, 06:21 AM
The 125 eligible is only a rough estimate. That number could go up as the week goes on, as it's based off of a minimum post count, then the forum automatically promotes you to a new usergroup when you reach that level. I'm not going to say what the count is, but it'll be pretty obvious if people are spamming posts just to up their count.

Hi Dan,

Iím just wondering if that estimate includes the initial 110 contest participants, or is it just the number of non-junior members.

KT Wagner
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM

Great plot twist for this saga. I am enjoying the drama. :-)

MrRoland
06-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I did expect there to be more votes by this time. That being said, it was extremely hard to pick a favorite out of this group. Good luck to all of you on keeping your sanity. I would have bitten my fingernails down to the first knuckle by now.

lilbirdy
06-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I just voted. It was really hard to choose only one! Good luck to all of you!

ozmosis7
06-24-2011, 07:50 PM
We need some commentary....

"The two leaders are neck and neck, with several forming a pack directly at their heals, as they move around the track...."

peteOcha
06-24-2011, 09:07 PM

"The two leaders are neck and neck, with several forming a pack directly at their heals, as they move around the track...."

Where can I place my bets?

srboone
06-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Wow! This gonna be tough! Thanks for some great stories guys, and gals!

PaulB
06-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I have just cast my vote which was no easy matter! Congrats to all who managed to get this far. Will now watch the results with great interest.

TerryE
06-25-2011, 01:19 PM

... they're coming around the second turn. In a fit of irony, the Meat Socks are running down the Wings of a Fly. And Rudy Jenkins/Monotonous/Patient bringing in 3rd!

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
"....and Draven takes the inside track into 3rd, barely nudging past Richard and Caren! It's a tight race folks...."

C.W. LaSart
06-25-2011, 06:31 PM
"....and Draven takes the inside track into 3rd, barely nudging past Richard and Caren! It's a tight race folks...."

Sigh! Glad you guys are all amused! :P

mstrom
06-25-2011, 06:31 PM

... And mstrom is painfully bringing up the rear...

RichardThomas
06-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Sigh! Glad you guys are all amused! :P

lol...is it wrong that i cycle through curse words, tears and laughter? no, i guess that's normal

C.W. LaSart
06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
lol...is it wrong that i cycle through curse words, tears and laughter? no, i guess that's normal

We may have to start up a support group together :( It will be alright-no matter the outcome my new friend! ;) You can join the group as well Mstrom!

Sioned Mair
06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Just a few words to say how much I enjoyed reading all the entries. I'm a better reader than a writer -haha !

TerryE
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
... And mstrom is painfully bringing up the rear...

Sorry, mstrom, but we need racing lingo. Maybe something like... "It looks like The Dark Caller has been disconnected."

At this point, I'm almost glad I didn't make the finals. I can't imagine your stress. And with that long back stretch, you won't even round turn 3 until Monday.

MrRoland
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
... they're coming around the second turn. In a fit of irony, the Meat Socks are running down the Wings of a Fly. And Rudy Jenkins/Monotonous/Patient bringing in 3rd!

Rudy Jenkins Monotonous Patient? Is that a Merchant/Ivory film or the name for a really bad punk band from Omaha?

Draven Ames
06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
You all have me so appreciative right now. There aren't words enough to express my gratitude. This contest could teach anyone patience and humility, as I'm glued to the polls.

This is still a long week and it is anyone's to win.

Loving the cometary, by the way.

C.W. LaSart
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh shut up, Draven! ;) Just kidding, you know I adore you! We went into this as friends and we will leave as friends (but if you beat me, you may be in for a severe wedgie if we ever meet face to face!) As much as I would like to win this thing, I have to say that I am not going to be too disappointed by a loss if it happens. These are all fine stories and sometimes the company kept is more important than the outcome. No wailing and gnashing of the teeth from me. I think next Wednesday will be a relief for us all. Good luck to all those involved, and thanks to those voting-even if you did vote for Draven :)

RichardThomas
06-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh shut up, Draven! ;) Just kidding, you know I adore you! We went into this as friends and we will leave as friends (but if you beat me, you may be in for a severe wedgie if we ever meet face to face!) As much as I would like to win this thing, I have to say that I am not going to be too disappointed by a loss if it happens. These are all fine stories and sometimes the company kept is more important than the outcome. No wailing and gnashing of the teeth from me. I think next Wednesday will be a relief for us all. Good luck to all those involved, and thanks to those voting-even if you did vote for Draven :)

ha...what she said ^

WesleySouthard
06-25-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm going to be flying out to PA in a couple of weeks to hang out with Nikki and some other friends...want me give her a wedgie for everyone? :P

Draven Ames
06-25-2011, 08:24 PM

You are a funny one, Caren. But you are right about so many cool people. I'm like you - just glad to be here.

Draven Ames
06-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm going to be flying out to PA in a couple of weeks to hang out with Nikki and some other friends...want me give her a wedgie for everyone? :P

Have a great trip.

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Wedgies for everyone! Damn, my wife actually got angry when I yanked her drawers up over her ears.

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I still think this race could be anyone's personally. I predicted 65 votes, so let say we hit that. That means there are still 16 votes likely...maybe more. A lot can change with that many votes and the pack being so close like this. I don't want to make anyone nervous or anything. :P

mstrom
06-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Sorry, mstrom, but we need racing lingo. Maybe something like... "It looks like The Dark Caller has been disconnected."

At this point, I'm almost glad I didn't make the finals. I can't imagine your stress. And with that long back stretch, you won't even round turn 3 until Monday.

Well I was just putting it in terms Craig could relate to.

RavisHarnell
06-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Good luck, everybody. Read a few really impressive and inspiring stories.

MrRoland
06-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Do the polls close on the 29th? I can't wait to find out who wins.

And thank you C.W. - Your "severe wedgie" comment made me crack up in my local library. I got a shush delivered with a dirty look and everything.

mlouisdixon
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
And thank you C.W. - Your "severe wedgie" comment made me crack up in my local library. I got a shush delivered with a dirty look and everything.

Oh, those moments are precious. I love it when something I read makes me laugh out loud in public. There are often very severe looks. I remember reading John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany and laughing on the BART train into San Francisco. That got a number of odd looks. More thrilling is when you’re writing something that makes you laugh out loud. I guess it must look very disturbing to see somebody scribbling in a notebook and snarking and giggling. Shit, if they only knew what I was writing. Hah!

MLD

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 10:03 PM
"...and the trailing pack is now on the heals of the leaders! It's anyone's race..."

Draven Ames
06-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I guess it must look very disturbing to see somebody scribbling in a notebook and snarking and giggling. Shit, if they only knew what I was writing. Hah!

I think the same thing when my kids are watching spongebob or something while I write.

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Do the polls close on the 29th? I can't wait to find out who wins.

Then I did my job :)

ozmosis7
06-26-2011, 03:17 AM
"MLD takes a commanding lead!"

ozmosis7
06-26-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm guessing all of the people between 5-7 are now checking ever 3 seconds to see if this list updates. :) And the lower numbers aren't out of this yet either.

mstrom
06-26-2011, 04:06 AM
"MLD takes a commanding lead!"

Congrats MLD on making it into the double digits!!

Draven Ames
06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Way to go MLD

RichardThomas
06-26-2011, 04:36 AM
win, place or show, that's all i'm asking :-)

Nik Houser
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
You guys are hilarious. In a good way.

mstrom
06-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh, those moments are precious. I love it when something I read makes me laugh out loud in public. There are often very severe looks. I remember reading John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany and laughing on the BART train into San Francisco. That got a number of odd looks. More thrilling is when you’re writing something that makes you laugh out loud. I guess it must look very disturbing to see somebody scribbling in a notebook and snarking and giggling. Shit, if they only knew what I was writing.

Yeah, I know what you mean MLD. Too bad it seems to happen so rarely these days, though Christopher Moore’s material seems to be an exception. His seemingly endless capacity of creativity just intimidates the hell out of me. I recently read his novel Fool, an alternate telling of Shakespeare’s King Lear, and it is a veritable study in the art of absurdity. Every time I picked that book up he had me laughing out loud, a few times I even had tears running down my face. I highly recommend it.

mstrom
06-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Well I was just putting it in terms Craig could relate to.

Since there was no response from Craig, I wondered if I may have crossed the line with that remark. Then I read his post in the original discussion thread where he says that he is purposely avoiding the polls in order to maintain his sanity.

Phew, here I feared that I had one of those moments where you are verbally jousting with someone and you pitch one out there that you think is clever, only to be met with stunned silence as everyone gawps at you like you just slapped an infant. You know, one of those kinds of moments.

mstrom
06-26-2011, 07:41 AM
We may have to start up a support group together :( It will be alright-no matter the outcome my new friend! ;) You can join the group as well Mstrom!

Thanks CW! By the time this finishes I will definitely need it.

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Since there was no response from Craig, I wondered if I may have crossed the line with that remark. Then I read his post in the original discussion thread where he says that he is purposely avoiding the polls in order to maintain his sanity.

Phew, here I feared that I had one of those moments where you are verbally jousting with someone and you pitch one out there that you think is clever, only to be met with stunned silence as everyone gawps at you like you just slapped an infant. You know, one of those kinds of moments.

He is also in a WAY different time zone!

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks CW! By the time this finishes I will definitely need it.

We all will my friend!

mstrom
06-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah it is late on a Saturday night and I have nothing better to do then to flood this thread with posts.

Anyways, I just wanted to say this.

*** BEWARE SCHMALTZ AHEAD, PRECEDE AT YOUR OWN RISK ***

Considering that we are a group whose imaginations are capable of plumbing the dark depths of depravity for a story, I don’t think that I’ve ever encountered a group of folks who have been as gracious and supportive as all of you. That is quite extraordinary, made more so by the fact that we are all competing against each other for such a precious opportunity.

*** OKAY SCHMALTZ ENDED, YOU ARE NOW SAFE TO PROCEED ***

ozmosis7
06-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I think I am almost excited watching this unfold as you in the heat are. This is really close still.

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 03:08 PM
OKAY - I caved. :( I tried looking at this using my peripheral vision as soon as I clicked on the thread. And it works. I got through three pages without seeing the results, but what I didn't consider was that people would be talking about the results, as in giving a running commentary, hahaha. So yeah, got to know the leaders anyway!

MLD, Nikita, and Draven! Go guys! So happy for you at the moment. I know it's a close race, but a fine sprint from the chocks.

I feel like I wasted my vote now... :D Good luck everyone! Don't lose heart. And I'm loving this whole Wacky Races vibe you've got going on.

If I can draw comparisons to those in this, without causing offence, then I think Richard (for name alone) has to be Dick Dastardly

CW is Penelope Pitstop in the Compact Pussycat 5 (:))

Draven is Peter Perfect in the Turbo Terrific 9

MLD as one of the Gruesome Twosome in the Creepy Coupe 2

And i'll be Private Meekley in the Army Surplus Special 6, because, you know, my privates are very meek.

mlouisdixon
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44VniJrh8w

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
HaHa! Craig you are too funny Private Meekley!

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I can't believe this contest now has an official soundtrack! Need to resist the urge to Madison, Mashed Potato, Stroll, Hully Gully, Wahtusi, and Monkey all around my house!

CW- if you look up the adjective, meek, it's amazing a man's privates have never had the comparison drawn on before..."Quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive."

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
CW- if you look up the adjective, meek, it's amazing a man's privates have never had the comparison drawn on before..."Quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive."
Oh Lord! I may bust a gut laughing, Craig! Actually, now that you mention it, I think that is a more apt description of a woman's privates! In my experience, men's privates are pushy and rude! We better stop now before Dan puts us on super-secret-probation for being lewd! Haha! :D

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Too true. Don't want to be put on probation, even if it is super-secret, though I probably wouldn't know I was on it if it was that super-secret. I will add, before this conversation returns to more high-brow content, that your description has left me with an enduring image of a penis jumping the cue outside a club called, Blessed are the Meek, and offending a lot of people in the process.

Right, back on track.

jmcraven
06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I feel like I wasted my vote now... :D

I worried about this from the beginning. I refused to vote for myself until I had at least one other vote because I didn't want to end up with only one vote (being mine) and it being wasted. But then when I got a vote I went ahead and voted for myself. I kinda wish I had held onto it though... too bad we couldn't have had 3 votes for the finals, especially given the limited number of people who can vote in this last round.

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I hear you, Jim. I told my wife how I have caved in and looked at the results and once she stopped laughing at me, she asked the number of votes I had, which then triggered her laughter again. So supportive.

She also asked what the average number of votes each winner of each group had during the knock-out stage. I rounded it off at about 30/40. she then said, "well, there's plenty more people still to vote then", but I then explained that the person who may have voted for my story may have voted for the winning story in another group, which means that that person would need to choose, assuming all the stories they voted for made the final 11, which one they liked best. Sophie's Choice, but without the children, and death of course.
"So, if 100 hundred people voted in this contest, and they all voted for the same stories which made it into the final 11, then they would have to choose?" she asked.
I nodded before informing her that the people who may have voted for you might have made it in the final 11! To which, she burst into laughter again and offered to make me a cup of tea.

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 08:43 PM
I hear you, Jim. I told my wife how I have caved in and looked at the results and once she stopped laughing at me, she asked the number of votes I had, which then triggered her laughter again. So supportive.

She also asked what the average number of votes each winner of each group had during the knock-out stage. I rounded it off at about 30/40. she then said, "well, there's plenty more people still to vote then", but I then explained that the person who may have voted for my story may have voted for the winning story in another group, which means that that person would need to choose, assuming all the stories they voted for made the final 11, which one they liked best. Sophie's Choice, but without the children, and death of course.
"So, if 100 hundred people voted in this contest, and they all voted for the same stories which made it into the final 11, then they would have to choose?" she asked.
I nodded before informing her that the people who may have voted for you might have made it in the final 11! To which, she burst into laughter again and offered to make me a cup of tea.

She sounds like a wonderfully supportive wife-she did offer to make you tea :)

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, most heartache and upset can be resolved or tempered by a good cup of tea. The only time I don't like tea is when the "big light" is on. The big light is the light that is usually fixed to the ceiling and is used only for locating lost items that can't be found in the dim hue of a table lamp, or, if the big light is on and is accompanied by a cup of tea, someone has died or been hurt badly. It may be a British thing.

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, most heartache and upset can be resolved or tempered by a good cup of tea. The only time I don't like tea is when the "big light" is on. The big light is the light that is usually fixed to the ceiling and is used only for locating lost items that can't be found in the dim hue of a table lamp, or, if the big light is on and is accompanied by a cup of tea, someone has died or been hurt badly. It may be a British thing.

I'm sure it is a Craig thing-which is no doubt a British thing-but it's fun to hear things from the persepective of someone half a world away!

jmcraven
06-26-2011, 09:09 PM

It's pretty much the same here at the Craven house, with the big light. Except we drink more iced tea than hot tea.

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Lets hope the big light is not used on the 29th, Jim. Unless of course you physically lose something. :)

jmcraven
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Lets hope the big light is not used on the 29th, Jim. Unless of course you physically lose something. :)

Agreed...

Draven Ames
06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I've been doing my best not to check the polls. Just did. Good work, Caren. You deserve it too.

ozmosis7
06-27-2011, 02:53 PM
WOW! A bold move by Caren to pull into a tie for 3rd! Exciting.

ozmosis7
06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I just realized I'll be on the road for vacation when this ends. I'm going to miss all the action LOL.

Craig Wallwork
06-27-2011, 02:58 PM
WOW! A bold move by Caren to pull into a tie for 3rd! Exciting.

Looks like to me, and I don't want to jinx this for anyone, 1st and 2nd place are done and the one to aim for is 3rd place. Keep pushing guys. Both great stories.

Craig Wallwork
06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I think I just did jinx it... CW is now joint 2nd! Blew my theory out of the water. I'm getting nervous for you, guys! :)

ozmosis7
06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
LOL...this is quite fun to watch unfold in so many ways.

Craig Wallwork
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
If I get one more vote, my wife said she'll make me another cup of tea. Come on! I'm thirsty! 2 votes and she'll throw in a biscuit! Jammy Dodger, yes please. :)

C.W. LaSart
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I generally don't believe in jinxes but I am keeping my mouth shut right now-except to say, That's Penelope Pitstop to you Craig! LOL

Craig Wallwork
06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm so eating your dust right now that my breath smells of gasoline. :)

C.W. LaSart
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM

2 days is a long time-hell, a lot could change in an hour, Craig :/

mlouisdixon
06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
2 days is a long time-hell, a lot could change in an hour, Craig :/

Shhhhh

Sioned Mair
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Haha- loved the Wacky Races stuff, reminded me of when I was a kid. Penelope Pitstop rocks !! Good luck all .

Sioned Mair
06-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Hope theres not too much stress out there. Have really enjoyed reading your stories -less stressful to be a bystander, I'm sure...

mstrom
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Not sure about the other vote challenged contestants, but an uncomfortable calm has settled over me since Iíve stalled behind the pack. However, my unease is related to the gatorís unexpected sympathy towards me. I donít like where this whole sensitivity thing is going, and if he insists on hug therapy then I will be left with no choice...

C.W. LaSart
06-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Yesterday dawned with resignation and serenity-today I want to vomit...

Draven Ames
06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Tell me about it. Take some of those tums and pass them over.

ozmosis7
06-28-2011, 12:25 AM
LOL, Nice!!! A 3 way for 2nd place. That is going to be fun.

JJ Holden
06-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh, my goodness, I don't know how you folks can stand it. Best of luck everyone. Only one more day, right?

RichardThomas
06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
grumble, grumble, grumble

lilbirdy
06-28-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm sure that this is horrible for those of you in the contest, but it is very exciting to watch for those of us who are out of it!

portrait in flesh
06-28-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm sure that this is horrible for those of you in the contest, but it is very exciting to watch for those of us who are out of it!

I'm all for having the triumvirate in 2nd place here duke it out, Thunderdome-style.

I'm prone to stress-induced seizures (yeah, it's just as sexy as it sounds), so believe me when I say I feel for you guys doing the nailbiting here. To quote Ash: "I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies."

jester05jk
06-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Cast my vote, finally. Good luck.

spernst
06-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Haven't checked in in a few days...how is everyone holding up? Looks like Draven Ames and CW Lasart are going to have a sudden death match for the 3rd spot...

Craig Wallwork
06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
And I get a cup of tea!

Thanks to whomever voted for me yesterday! You rock! 2nd and 3rd place are sooooooooooo close, you could slip a piece of paper between them.

mstrom
06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
And I get a cup of tea!

Thanks to whomever voted for me yesterday! You rock! 2nd and 3rd place are sooooooooooo close, you could slip a piece of paper between them.

Wow, things sure can change quickly. Here the votes were trickling in and then bam. Congrats on the sudden bump Craig, you are back in the thick of it!

Draven Ames
06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the votes, Craig. Same to Caren and Nikita.

Nikita
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, I also thank not only those who have voted for my story but those who have had nothing but a positive attitude, period. Win or lose, this contest was exactly what I needed to start taking myself and my writing a little more seriously, and I'm sincerely grateful for the opportunity.

ozmosis7
06-28-2011, 02:14 PM
exactly what I needed to start taking myself and my writing a little more seriously

That's awesome Nikita. Your story was so fun to read. Keep on writing.

ozmosis7
06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
WOW! With one day left, this contest is hating up for a good finale. Good luck to you all in the home stretch. Hope you see the checkered flag.

TerryE
06-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Approaching Turn 4. The Wings of a Fly is still buzzing along. And Monotonous Dr. Johnson's Patient is now trying to put on some Meat Socks, but still isn't able to catch them. In fourth Rudy Jenkins Buries His (13) Fears. And it looks like the Dark Caller has hung up.

But on the serious side, all of you guys and gals did great work and should be very proud of your performance no matter where you finish. Hey, all 11 are already certified winners.

ozmosis7
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh my, what a race. And I echo what Terry had to say. Hope you all have some fingernails left after this one.

frik51
06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't voted yet...I will, though..

sk

C.W. LaSart
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm just glad I work tonight-there's nothing I can do about it anyway-Good luck all and I couldn't be in better company Draven! (Severe Wedgie! Don't forget that because I won't!)

Craig Wallwork
06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Another vote - Man, I'm on a high! thanks so much. Level-pegging with my good friend, Richard at 4th. And Man, this is so close for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd! SO CLOSE. Good luck guys, and Nikita - you must keep writing! Meat socks is a fine story! :)

Draven Ames
06-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm just glad I work tonight-there's nothing I can do about it anyway-Good luck all and I couldn't be in better company Draven! (Severe Wedgie! Don't forget that because I won't!)

You are lucky to be working. I'm stuck at home. Nerves are so bad that I feel like hurling. I'd sleep through today if I could, but I've been tossing and turning all night. We bought a new memory foam for our bed, but it doesn't seem to be helping my bulging disk. I'm going to do my best not to check the polls every minute.

I wasn't even this nervous when I jumped out of airplanes in the Army.

frik51
06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Just voted.
And..It's a tie!!

sk

Craig Wallwork
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Holy crap!

If it stays like this, 1st, 2nd and 3rd will all be ties!

RJK1981
06-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow this is close, and was a toss up between a couple on what I would vote for, but did end up voting sometime yesterday, don't remember when though. Whoever ends up being in the top 3 definitely deserve it, as do others who won't make it in those spots

TerryE
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
You know, I'm gonna put my opinion to CD right here, right now. These are all very short works. Can't they have room for 4 stories instead of only 3? (Wait, what's the title again? Did the winning title use "3" or "trio"?) If it isn't already built into the title of the chapbook, have both stories tied for 3rd in the book (if it stays that way). Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draven Ames
06-28-2011, 09:32 PM
That would be nice, but I believe they said, in the event of a tie, that CD would make the final choice. We'll see, but I doubt it will end in a tie. There are a lot of voters left.

fmancino
06-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Congratulations to all participants in the final round! Good luck to you all, it's gettin' down to the nitty-gritty! ;)

the_last_gunslinger
06-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Wow, this poll is so close I feel sympathetic anxiousness on the participant's behalf.

jmcraven
06-29-2011, 12:45 AM
This will be interesting. Folks holding a vote may forego voting for their favorite if their favorite is either out in front or just out, and instead elect to use their vote on the story they like best out of the ones on the bubble. I know if I'd held my vote I would do that now instead of voting for myself.

Draven Ames
06-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Another vote for Caren. Congratulations. That should help you with the stress.

TerryE
06-29-2011, 03:19 AM
They've rounded Turn 4 and the Wings of the Fly are on the Meat Socks. Dr. Johnson's Patient is catching. The Monotonous one has dully dropped behind. It looks like it's going to be a photo finish!

Tomorrow - the Home Stretch. Good luck.

RichardThomas
06-29-2011, 05:20 AM
I think my jockey fell off when "Rudy" stepped in a hole or something. Definitely fading, falling to the back of the pack. Hell of a race guys.

KevinM
06-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Looking like a 4-team race at this point! Good luck to all!!!!

Craig Wallwork
06-29-2011, 06:03 AM
This is it guys! Last day. Whowever not's voted, please, if you have the time, check out the stories and help someone get into CD.

Good luck!

:)

mstrom
06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
It is the last night of voting and my sanity has finally returned as the alligator prepares to leave.

“Well it’s been a slice, you middling ape.” he says.

“Thanks, I think?” I reply.

“Believe me, considering the genetics you have to work with, it’s a compliment.”

“If you say so. I’m just glad you are over that whole sympathetic act.”

“Considering the rather thorough beating you took in the final round, I was just trying to be nice.”

“You are a true humanitarian.”

“Humanitarian? Please, don’t insult me. That concept is just a delusion all you glorified baboons came up with to make yourselves feel superior.”

“I’m glad to see that our time together hasn’t softened your disposition.”

“Never happen.” He turns to leave. “But I have to admit that this whole experience was a hell of a ride.”

“Yeah.” I agree, “One hell of a ride.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTubYu0

Craig Wallwork
06-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Haha. You did well, Mike, take no notice of that alligator. :)

Plus, didn't you just get a vote? The race ain't over yet, buddy. Hare and the tortoise. Hare and the tortoise.

(plus, I've just realised the irony surrounding the title of my story :()

Craig Wallwork
06-29-2011, 06:22 AM
BTW - if there is a tie, does that mean the loser of the tie-break defaults to the next position? So if there's a tie for 1st, the loser drops to 2nd? And then, 2nd, as a result, drops to 3rd?

mstrom
06-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Haha. You did well, Mike, take no notice of that alligator. :)

Plus, didn't you just get a vote? The race ain't over yet, buddy. Hare and the tortoise. Hare and the tortoise.

(plus, I've just realised the irony surrounding the title of my story :()

Wow, I did just get one! Thank you whoever voted! It sure was lonely back there. Now if I could just get 8 more votes...

Nik Houser
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I think my jockey fell off when "Rudy" stepped in a hole or something. Definitely fading, falling to the back of the pack. Hell of a race guys.

I thought your story was excellent. My opinion isn't in danger of swaying anyone here and causing a landslide change on the last day, so I'll go ahead and say that while there were some fine stories in this batch, yours got my vote.

On a more general note, it was actually easier than I thought it would be to vote. Not because the stories I didn't vote for were bad (far from it), but because everyone in this final round had their own very clearly defined voice and style. Richard's spoke most to me, combined with the technical stuff I look for in prose, but I can easily see how other voices in this contest would appeal to other readers. This being a horror contest, I've seen a remarkable range of styles and subject matter for a genre which, more than any other, can quickly fall prey to repetition and cliche. So, well done you guys. I enjoyed every damn story I read. I also made a few notes on some of the stories, which I will post later on.

Sioned Mair
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Good luck on the last day, you guys!

RichardThomas
06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Nik. That means a lot coming from you. I just mailed "Rudy" off to the Borderlands 6 anthology that MLD suggested, so I haven't given up on that story yet. It's almost like getting a peek behind the curtain at a magazine or journal. You know the acceptance rate is 5%, and you know they get 110 submissions a month, but when you get the form rejection, could you ever imagine the insanity that is going on behind the scenes? A lot of great stories here, and not just in the finals, but overall.

mlouisdixon
06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
... could you ever imagine the insanity that is going on behind the scenes? A lot of great stories here, and not just in the finals, but overall.

Would you like to be part of that? I've got hundreds of stories in a slushpile and dozens in a "maybe" pile that need to be gone through for the final issue of Dark Recesses. I'd love to get some help if I could. It is insanity.

MLD

RichardThomas
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh MLD, I wish I had the time. I like the work that DR is doing for sure, but I have too much on my plate as it is right now. Thanks for asking. I'm sure there are a ton of people here that could be first or second readers for you though. I've edited for several magazines in the past, and it is a full-time job. I might be up for a guest editor gig at some point in the future. PM me if you want to talk. Wait, did you say FINAL issue? Is DR closing?

mlouisdixon
06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, DR is closing. I only took it over as a favor to keep it from going under. Actually, I was promised that my responsibilities would be limited, but I ended up doing just about everything myself. I handed over the mag to the original editor who wanted to come back and then nothing happened for months. I volunteered to come back to do the final issue and put DR to rest with some dignity.

I’ll accept any help I can get so if somebody reading this is interested, please PM me and we’ll talk.

Thanks,

MLD

ozmosis7
06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Heading out for the day, but wanted to wish everyone luck for the last few hours this contest runs. Great stories, and gratz to the winners ahead of time as I will be out for most of the day. You all were well deserving, and with all of you getting some votes, it shows that point. And thanks to CD for providing us all of this fun. Good luck.

Dan Hocker
06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Just checking in here. Its not over yet, but good luck here on the last 2 hours. I will be in touch with the winners when I get back.

fmancino
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Only 69 people voted, I thought there'd be a lot more active members... oh well. Good Luck to all of the winners :D

Antmusic
06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I just voted... nothing like waiting until the last minute (give or take). ha ha.

jmcraven
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Conrats to Nikita, MLD, and CW! You all should be very proud.

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Conrats to Nikita, MLD, and CW! You all should be very proud.

Thank you very much-can I breathe now?

Antmusic
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
CONGRATS to the winners, and everyone who made the final round!

Thank you EVERYONE who participated and made this a reader's extravaganza!

Ben Staad
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Congratulations to the winners of the contest! I also want to say thanks to everyone that entered the contest as it was a great month of reading.

Steven Cox
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I would just like to congratulate the Top Three - very, very well done, you guys. I feel privileged to have done friendly battle with you and wish everyone all the best for the future. As Draven said way back, we are all winners in a way - but Nikita, MLD and C.W. must be feeling on top of the world. Hurrah!

And to those five who gave "Scraps" their vote, I love you all (whoever you may be) ! ...To my fellow Englander Craig, we came =6th. Hope you're feeling more that just a touch of British pride, for I know I am.

See ya all out on the road sometime...

Craig Wallwork
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes, I feel very proud Steven. Very proud.

For the Winners: So happy for CW, MLD and Nikita. Well done guys. It was a hell of a ride. I know that's the standard response, but really, I was proud to be standing beside you guys. To those who voted (all of 5 of you) - I am collapsed with gratitude. To know you thought the story was good and enjoyed it made this process more bearable.

To the Runners Up: today, my phone could have rang with news that my daughter had been injured, or that my wife was in a car accident, or that my parents had taken ill, or worse. Today, a mirage of awful and life altering moments could have happened. But they didn't. My family are well and happy. All that happened was I lost out to some great writers. That's not a big deal. that's an honour. I'm not trying to play down the opportunity of being in CD, which is beyond my comprehension at this stage, more that this was one small wound that will heal very quickly. To you all, you were worthy competitors. You are great/amazing writers. And the most wonderful part of it all is, other than the great stories, is that it brought together people who didn't know each other. The support has been humbling, more so by those competing against each other for the top three positions.

It's been a privilege. 13 will live again, somewhere. And I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before all the other stories find homes worthy of their brilliance.

TerryE
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you very much-can I breathe now?

Yes! Breathe, Caren, breathe! I'm sure you don't want to get mouth to mouth from anyone is this motley crew.

Congratulations to you, and Nikita, and M. Louis. You all did a great job. Can't wait to see the chapbook in print.

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes, I feel very proud Steven. Very proud.

For the Winners: So happy for CW, MLD and Nikita. Well done guys. It was a hell of a ride. I know that's the standard response, but really, I was proud to be standing beside you guys. To those who voted (all of 5 of you) - I am collapsed with gratitude. To know you thought the story was good and enjoyed it made this process more bearable.

To the Runners Up: today, my phone could have rang with news that my daughter had been injured, or that my wife was in a car accident, or that my parents had taken ill, or worse. Today, a mirage of awful and life altering moments could have happened. But they didn't. My family are well and happy. All that happened was I lost out to some great writers. That's not a big deal. that's an honour. I'm not trying to play down the opportunity of being in CD, which is beyond my comprehension at this stage, more that this was one small wound that will heal very quickly. To you all, you were worthy competitors. You are great/amazing writers. And the most wonderful part of it all is, other than the great stories, is that it brought together people who didn't know each other. The support has been humbling, more so by those competing against each other for the top three positions.

It's been a privilege. 13 will live again, somewhere. And I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before all the other stories find homes worthy of their brilliance.

And this is why, though it may be cliche, I say that the British are classy. It's because you are-what a wonderful sentiment. You made me cry, Sir. I feel my life is enriched by knowing you and all of the other wonderful contestants that I now consider friends! Cheers to my new friends, and congratulations to you all for daring to put yourselves out there in front of the world for judgement. There are no losers in this contest!

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes! Breathe, Caren, breathe! I'm sure you don't want to get mouth to mouth from anyone is this motley crew.

Congratulations to you, and Nikita, and M. Louis. You all did a great job. Can't wait to see the chapbook in print.

Haha! Good point Terry, but I am actually feeling pretty close to this motley crew right now and I hope to continue a friendship with as many of you as will have me ;)

JJ Holden
06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey, very well done everyone and congratulations!

RJHubbard53
congrats to all of you !

- RJ

portrait in flesh
Wonderful job, everyone.

Now, time to break out the cake:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/299/5/e/horror_cake_by_see_through_silence-d31k7v2.jpg

mlouisdixon
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
OMFG, it's finally over! I will never again, ever, enter into any contest where you can track the progress. I was glued to those damn poles.
Thank you to those who voted for my story. I am thrilled that you liked it.
Congratulations to C.W. and Nikita. Your stories are excellent and well deserving of their place in this chapbook.

I also want to say that the greatest thing about this whole contest was finding a new home on the Internet where I can hang out with other people just as demented as myself. A kind of place where I can slip out of my meat socks and just be myself. (Love me some Meat Socks)

I want to thank Dan for being a great host and Cemetery Dance for letting us congregate.

I also am happy to have gotten the opportunity to read some excellent short stories.

Now, go on, go write down some nightmares.

MLD

njhorror
06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Congratulations Folks!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

KT Wagner
06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to the winners, and everyone else for a great effort.

KT

peteOcha
06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Congratulations to the winners! Fantastic job!

I hate to admit it, but i didn't vote this round.:( I waited till the last day, and I thought the poll closing time was the US time, so that I would have plenty of time to read two more stories when I got home... Turns out the poll time reflected my European time. Sorry. But i'm glad my vote was not one that would affect anything, the winner would just have one more vote than now.:)

Once again, congrats to everyone who took part in this contest, and to the finalists for going through a stressful ordeal!!

lilbirdy
06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Congratulations to all three of you for a well-deserved victory!!!!

fmancino
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Congratulations to Nikita, C.W. LaSart, and mlouisdixon!
Great job and good luck if you pursue a writing career :)

RichardThomas
06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
just sorry we didn't get more votes

congratulations to the winners, this should be an exciting chapbook - i hope that all of the other stories that made the finals are being sent out, and that other competitors from the original 110 are also working on them or shopping them as well - honored to be a part of this competition, and all i want now is to see these stories land over in the Acceptance thread with some fabulous magazine, journal or website

great job everyone and best of luck

Draven Ames
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Congratulations to Lious and Caren, you both did excellent jobs. Your stories were top notch.

All the runners up had excellent stories as well. Let us know as they get accepted elsewhere. Great to meet so many wonderful writers.

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Congratulations to Lious and Caren, you both did excellent jobs. Your stories were both top notch.

Thank you Draven, it is bittersweet for me, I would have loved to share it with you. You are an excellent writer and very driven with your career-I know you will be going places my friend. I second MLD's sentiment that I will probably never do this sort of contest again because it tore me up and took up way too much of my time with the OCD! You rock Draven ;)

Brent Abell
06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
This was really great to be a part of and lots of props to the last three standing!

Draven Ames
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Thank you Draven, it is bittersweet for me, I would have loved to share it with you. You are an excellent writer and very driven with your career-I know you will be going places my friend. I second MLD's sentiment that I will probably never do this sort of contest again because it tore me up and took up way too much of my time with the OCD! You rock Draven ;)

I'm happy to lose to you, Caren. Having made it in, you might not have to do contests like this again. Congratulations to you and yours.

Mickmarseviltwin
06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Well done, you three! It was a great contest and I'm happy to have been part of it :)

ozmosis7
06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Gratz Caren, MLD, and Nikita. Three fine stories! Well deserved.

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm happy to lose to you, Caren. Having made it in, you might not have to do contests like this again. Congratulations to you and yours.

Should you participate in this again, you know that I will be the first in line to vote for you!

Draven Ames
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
We'll see. Next time I will name my story "Gory Hole." Title means a lot in these things, it seems.

C.W. LaSart
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
We'll see. Next time I will name my story "Gory Hole." Title means a lot in these things, it seems.

Sounds promising! LOL

Menace
06-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Congrats to the winners it was well deserved. I for one would love to see another contest like this. Where else could I get so many great writers read one of my stories. I never expected to make it to the top 11 surrounded by all this talent and I didn't but that was fine. My story got 4 votes in the opening round that 4 more than I thought it would get. I was very happy with that.
I Feel the need to post another one. Might just do that after work.

Thad Linson
06-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Congratulations to all! Nicely done, folks. I'm glad I was able to vote on these and the other stories in both rounds.

MrRoland
06-30-2011, 12:26 AM
What a hard fought round. Congratulations to Nikita, C.W. and MLouisDixon! All the runner up stories were great,as well and even though I was eliminated early on, this contest was a very rewarding experience. I'm definitely getting a copy of the finished book.

miki74
06-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Congratulations to the winners. It's been really fun reading all the stories.

WesleySouthard
06-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Congrats to all the winners! I'm happy to report my story "By The Throat, with a few corrections here and there, replacing some missing words, ect., was just accepted to the Indiana Horror 2011 anthology! I'm really stoked about this.

ozmosis7
06-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Gratz! Great story!

RichardThomas
06-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Congrats to all the winners! I'm happy to report my story "By The Throat, with a few corrections here and there, replacing some missing words, ect., was just accepted to the Indiana Horror 2011 anthology! I'm really stoked about this.

Congrats. That's the way to do it.

jmcraven
06-30-2011, 04:08 AM

Well deserved- that is a very good story. Congratulations!

C.W. LaSart
06-30-2011, 04:09 AM

Way to go! That's what I like to hear!

lilbirdy
06-30-2011, 04:20 AM

Excellent!!! I am so happy for you! It is a great story!!!

WesleySouthard
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! Makes this great day even better.

Dan Hocker
06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Congrats to everyone. If the contest winners would like to send me an email with a word doc file of their story as well as a mailing address for where we can send the contracts to that would be great. If not I will send each of you an email requesting it when I get back from vacation. Congratulations again they where all great stories.

mstrom
06-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Itís been a hectic day and I just finally got to see the results.

Congrats CW, MLD, and Nikita!

And to all my competitors throughout this contest, it has been a sensational experience to be associated with such talented and gracious folks. I hope we are able to keep in contact.

mstrom
06-30-2011, 05:13 AM

Very cool!!!! I hope to see others report similar success stories.

mstrom
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM

You had a great run Draven! If it’s any consolation, when I checked the final round's contest submissions last night (they have since been moved) and sorted them by views, your story sat on top with the most views!

Craig Wallwork
06-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Too cool. Well done. Just goes to show everyone that this is only the beginining for some, and not the end. And in typical horror fashion, I'd just like to say, thanks for raising my spirits. :)

mstrom
06-30-2011, 06:31 AM
In the immense hopes of getting the valuable insights of my highly esteemed colleagues (how’s that for adjective abuse), I posted the first critique for my own story The Dark Caller in the Sharing Your Work sub-forum. If any of you can spare the time, I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad. And yeah, even Your Story Blows is welcomed as long as you tell me why.

Thanks!
-Mike

Randy D. Rubin
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Congrats to all three winners and all the participants as well. This contest was such a good experience for me. I am honored to be in your company. Thank you goes out to Dan for setting this up.

PaulB
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Just wanted to say many thanks to all who entered. I am not a writer but am a keen reader and thoroughly enjoyed the stories I read. Congratulations to all who made the final round!

Nikita
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I wanted to say several things but I'll go with the most pressing first--thank you all SO much, not only for those of you who voted for my story, but those who read and enjoyed it. I have written various stories but I was always so hesitant on submitting anything for fear it was never good enough. All the positive feedback I've received on this forum since this contest began has done wonders for my attitude and my motivation, and I truly thank you all.

Also, thank you to the folks at Cemetery Dance for this opportunity to begin with. And I am sorry that I wasn't able to contribute to the conversations as much as I would have liked. Two jobs, a family...you guys have obligations as well so I'm sure you understand how tough it can be. But that's why I feel that I really have to make sure you all know how appreciative I am.

And of course, congratulations to the finalists and to everyone who participated in the contest, win or lose. These were a fantastic group of stories and I am so looking forward to reading more of them.
(Nik, I'm looking in your direction... :) )

MrRoland
06-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Fantastic! Congratulations!

mlouisdixon
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm happy to report my story "By The Throat, with a few corrections here and there, replacing some missing words, ect., was just accepted to the Indiana Horror 2011 anthology! I'm really stoked about this.

Great news Wesley. I really liked your story.

MLD

Nik Houser
06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I wanted to say several things but I'll go with the most pressing first--thank you all SO much, not only for those of you who voted for my story, but those who read and enjoyed it. I have written various stories but I was always so hesitant on submitting anything for fear it was never good enough. All the positive feedback I've received on this forum since this contest began has done wonders for my attitude and my motivation, and I truly thank you all.

Also, thank you to the folks at Cemetery Dance for this opportunity to begin with. And I am sorry that I wasn't able to contribute to the conversations as much as I would have liked. Two jobs, a family...you guys have obligations as well so I'm sure you understand how tough it can be. But that's why I feel that I really have to make sure you all know how appreciative I am.

And of course, congratulations to the finalists and to everyone who participated in the contest, win or lose. These were a fantastic group of stories and I am so looking forward to reading more of them.
(Nik, I'm looking in your direction... :) )

Hahaha, thanks Nikita. Hearty congrats!!!

Beambounder
07-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Quality,is quality-the gems amongst the ore. You wrote a tight ,skilled GEM. Best of luck , Beambounder

smokedragon
07-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Congrats to all finalists. Amazing work. Thanks to Cemetery Dance for the opportunity for all would be writers of dark tales to produce some great stories.It's been a joy, an absolute joy.

Draven Ames
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Congrats Nikita

Blu Gilliand
07-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm a little late to the victory party, but congrats to the winners!

mercuryval
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Congrats to all the winners! I just got back from vacation, and it looks like I missed the voting for round 2. Still, excellent stories!

Ben Staad
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Dan,

Can you give us an update on the publication of this Chapbook? I know it's around here somewhere but I sure as hell can't find it. My winning book title may be the
closest I ever get to being published so I'm a little bit anxious. Thanks.

Dan Hocker
08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Dan,

Can you give us an update on the publication of this Chapbook? I know it's around here somewhere but I sure as hell can't find it. My winning book title may be the
closest I ever get to being published so I'm a little bit anxious. Thanks.

Last I asked Brian, all the stories where with the proof reader. I'm hoping we should be able to get this out by the end of the year. It shouldn't take too long once we're through the proof reading / design phase.

Ben Staad
08-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Last I asked Brian, all the stories where with the proof reader. I'm hoping we should be able to get this out by the end of the year. It shouldn't take too long once we're through the proof reading / design phase.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually pretty excited about this as there are some great stories from the contestants which should be read by a larger audience.

ozmosis7
08-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing the artwork contest will be settled at that time as well Dan?

Dan Hocker
08-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Yep, we'll send the prizes for that when we send the prizes for the chapbook. I'll talk to Brian again next week to see what we need to do to move ahead with all this.

ozmosis7
08-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Yep, we'll send the prizes for that when we send the prizes for the chapbook. I'll talk to Brian again next week to see what we need to do to move ahead with all this.

Very cool. I'm anxious to pick some stuff up in the store after seeing some of the newsletter announcements as of late.

Draven Ames
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Very cool. I'm anxious to pick some stuff up in the store after seeing some of the newsletter announcements as of late.

Agreed.

Ben Staad
11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Any update on this chapbook? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Dan Hocker
11-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Any update on this chapbook? Thanks in advance for the reply.

I think it's in the design queue right now. I know we got all of the stories back from the proofreaders / copy editors. If I remember correctly (and I may not) Brian was thinking it'll be done in the first half of next year.

Ben Staad
11-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I think it's in the design queue right now. I know we got all of the stories back from the proofreaders / copy editors. If I remember correctly (and I may not) Brian was thinking it'll be done in the first half of next year.

Thank you for the reply. I just was checking to make sure this was still happening.

Ben Staad
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Is this still in line to be published this year? I'm thinking the stories will be fresh again by the time this thing is released :)

;)

Dan Hocker
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Is this still in line to be published this year? I'm thinking the stories will be fresh again by the time this thing is released :)

;)

Should be, there's just a lot going on the designers plate, it's just a matter of when we can squeeze it in.

Ben Staad
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Mr. Hocker!

mlouisdixon
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
so x-cited!