J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques

FULL COLOR COMIC ANTHOLOGY Featuring Stephen King, F. Paul Wilson, Robert R. McCammon, and many others!

J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques
    edited by Mort Castle and David Campiti
    Publisher: Gauntlet Press

About the Book:
    The Masques series of anthologies, published from 1984 to 2006 and edited by J. N. Williamson, presented superlative work by established and emerging horror writers, including Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Charles Grant, Ray Russell, Charles Beaumont, Tom Monteleone, Robert Bloch, F. Paul Wilson, Ramsey Campbell, Richard Christian Matheson, Paul Dale Anderson, and Robert R. McCammon. "Scare me!" was editor Williamson's principal guideline. The books won critical, popular, and international success, with editions published in Spain, Germany, Italy, and France.

In 1992, Mort Castle and David Campiti, working with J.N. Williamson, produced two 48 page issues of J.N. Williamson's Masques, presenting Masques stories in "graphic album" format. The "deluxe comics" (perfect bound) were published by Innovation Books, a comic book publisher. Illustrators included Mark Evans, Ted Naifeh, Mike Okamoto, Tim Vigil, Jose Pimentel, and Matt Thompson.

But the "comic book boom" was going bust -- and the "graphic novel" still had to await Art Spiegelman's winning the Pulitzer for Maus and Alan Moore's Watchmen being named one of the top "100 Novels of the 20th Century" by Time Magazine to become legitimate. Few copies of J.N. Williamson's Masques were printed, far fewer comics stores were around to sell them, and within a year, the publisher Innovation itself was gone from the scene.

Now, J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques triumphantly returns in a 112 page beautifully produced collectible from Gauntlet Press.

Special Features:
    - All original art digitally restored.
    - New prose features from Mort Castle, David Campiti, and original Masques publisher John Maclay.
    - A brand new, 16 page story: F. Paul Wilson's macabre masterpiece "Soft."
    - A "continuity cover" by Clive Barker, "The Skull Tree," previously the cover image for the fifth and final edition of Masques

Table of Contents:
    Paul Dale Anderson "Better Than One"
    Illustrated by Jose Pimentel
    Mort Castle "If You Take My Hand, My Son"
    Illustrated by Mark Evans

Mort Castle "A Billion Monstrosities"
    Illustrated by Tim Vigil

Stephen King "Popsy"
    Illustrated by Matt Thompson

Robert R. McCammon "Nightcrawlers"
    Illustrated by Ted Naifeh & Scott Rockwell

Wayne Allen Sallee "Rail Rider"
    Illustrated by Mike Okamoto

Robert Weinberg "The Crushing Death"
    Illustrated by Mark Evans

F. Paul Wilson "Soft"
    Illustrated by The Artists of Glass House Graphics

Available In Two Formats:
    * FULL COLOR Trade Hardcover: $50
    * 500 copy signed & numbered FULL COLOR hardcover edition signed by all authors (except Stephen King and Clive Barker) and most of the graphic artists: $125
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Who here has this? Well, other than Grant. I'd love to hear some thoughts about it.

Comment

There was a pretty good review on FEARnet a month or so ago, an it had some more pictures. It made me really want a copy! (I don't have one yet.)

Comment

I have the trade copy.It is a really nice book.I had not heard about the masque series till I received an arc for the book dark masques.It was one of those anthology
        series that my local book store did not carry where I grew up.

Comment

Any body who wants this but could not afford the hard cover trade IDW is putting out a soft cover trade soon.The cost is 19.99.This is a great collection.

Comment

Even when CD doesn't announce something new they still have to tempt me with something. I'd order the numbered one now if I could. Ughh.

Comment

I am thinking of getting the soft cover even though I own the hard cover.Just wating for amazon to offer it for preorder.Different cover then the hardback one.

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                Who here has this?
                Got a hardcover edition - not signed or anything.
                I like this book quite a bit. Striking artwork, good stories.
                Worth reading.

sk

Comment

100% agree.This book is one of my favorite Graphic novels.

Comment

Working...
                  X