Rejection thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejection thread

I know this sounds weird for a thread – why would I want to share my misery of a rejection with everyone? Well, we have a similar thread like this in our writer’s workshop and to know you’re not alone really can help pull you through those hard times. Don’t be ashamed...you’re not alone.

I have been rejected four times in the last year for Glimmertrain, I know they don't do much horror, but that just makes me want them all the more. I was rejected for 3 consecutive months at SNM before I took 3rd place in May-I think rejection is healthy and necessary to keep your drive going!
    http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I have something with Glimmertrain at the moment, CW. I plan on posting the rejection here once it comes through. People are really divided about that place. In truth, I think I submitted a story to them very early in my writing career, and then realised there were soooooo many cool journals/magazines out there that I totally forgot about them. They pay well, though. Too, I don't think I've ever met anyone who has been published with them.

For that matter, has anyone here been published by Shimmer or Shock Totem? Forgive me if you've already mentioned it.

Comment

I recently received this rejection from Five Points

Dear Writer:

Thank you for sending us your work. We really enjoyed this piece, but we didn't feel it was right for Five Points.

We hope that you will continue to send us your work.

Sincerely,

The Editors of Five Points

There are a couple of things that bother me about this rejection: It is clearly a “form” rejection because they used “Writer” instead of my name. (I personally feel that all rejections, whether form or not, should use the name of the author.) Then they say “really enjoyed”. But it’s a form rejection. Do they really enjoy everything?

I don’t mind getting rejected, even form rejections, but please at least be honest.

MLD

Comment

Oh the dreaded "really enjoyed, but not the right fit". Those suck. I got 2 rejections from Albedo One (Like a British Cemetery Dance) but they were wonderful, personal rejections that both discussed my stories specifically, (one was too short and the other just not what he wanted) and requested more stories. I tried twice, but don't have any time right now with deadlines, but that editor will perhaps remember me if I try again.

Comment

Albedo One is awesome, wow, never heard of them before. I hate that you have to mail in your stories from the US though, and NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS too. How long do they take, CW? I don't remember seeing them on Duotrope.com.

EDIT: Just found them on Duotrope. Under .01 a word, about 75 days typical response, 2500-8000 words. It's the mailing it from the US part that really bugs me. If you're out of the country how about email?
            Last edited by RichardThomas; 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM.
            FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
              Albedo One is awesome, wow, never heard of them before. I hate that you have to mail in your stories from the US though, and NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS too. How long do they take, CW? I don't remember seeing them on Duotrope.com.
              I was able to email my submissions. I don't think the actual Albedo One mag is on duotrope, but I think I have seen Aeon Press on there, and they are one and the same! I went for the magazine contest, they don't contact you for that one, just have to sheck the website, but the other two stories were for an anthology they were putting out and I believe he got back to me in less than a month. Hope that helps!

Comment

They ARE on Duotrope.

http://duotrope.com/market_22.aspx

huh, says electronic submissions are okay at Duotrope but I couldn't find anything at their site. WAIT FOUND IT

"While we accept e-mail submissions, we do NOT accept submissions in the form of attachments - text in the body of your e-mail only, please!"
                Mail your e-mail submission to: [email protected]

3 EUROs per 1000 words - so what is that, $6 per 1000? or 600 cents per 1000?

love the art - no flash, though, 2500+

any info on their anthologies? I'll go back to the site
                FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                  3 EUROs per 1000 words - so what is that, $6 per 1000? or 600 cents per 1000?
                  It's $4.29 per 1000 words, so approximately 1/2 a cent per word.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

They are also not exclusively horror like Cemetery Dance is, they take Sci-Fi and Fantasy as well. But they do put out anthologies occasionally and they hold the Aeon Awards each year for the mag, which is the only thing I have submitted to as far as the mag is concerned.

Comment

Interesting! So they are Aeon? Or a sister press to them?
                      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                        Interesting! So they are Aeon? Or a sister press to them?
                        Aeon puts out Albedo One-Like Dark Moon Books also puts out Dark Moon Digest

Comment

Try trigger street .com am Arts overall writing.publishing,acting. It is the brain-Child of Kevin Spacey and Val Kilmer, who Grew up next to Roy Roger's Ranch with Dale Evans,and "Trigger". Their Horse. Now Taxidermy Art. Any way they Grew up on Trigger street-accepy stories, screenplays,and Original Stage and Film Concepts ,just register,prepare material as requested,Their long time dream to have this Opening for a Multicultural ,non SAG card holding, com[petitions for writing,stories, screenplays and every CREATIVE hopeful endeavor -from contestants who have innate talent, hard working,;whose dreams need a possible acceptance. Check www.triggerrstreet.com.
                          Just volume the db

Comment

Working...
                          X