PDA

View Full Version : The Random Thread

RichardThomas
06-20-2011, 04:07 AM
I thought we needed a thread that was for anything that doesn't fit nicely into the other categories. Since this IS the Writer's Corner, it should have something to do with writing, literature, comics, authors, whatever.

Saw a really interesting little half-hour show titled Top 20 Tales of Terror. Not often you find people talking about books on tv like that. For me it was on AT&TUverse_OnDemand_Free_CuttingEdge_Illusion_Top20Ta lesofTerror.

See if you can find it on your cable. I actually know some of the people speaking - people from the HWA, a writer in STL, Laurell K. Hamilton, etc. Worth the watch.

Craig Wallwork
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Is a great story enough?

RichardThomas
06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
sure, whatever you want to post up, brother - random, misc. anything that got your attention

Craig Wallwork
06-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Is a great story enough?

Hahaha... Actually that was a question, Richard. Like, can a great story be enough to make you a successful writer? I'm think there are lots of great writers out there that probably have wonderful m/s under their bed, but maybe they got shot down once, a story they loved was rejected and so they threw the towel in. And yet, there are writers out there that are okay, but promote the shit out themselves. So, is a story enough?

RichardThomas
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Hahaha... Actually that was a question, Richard. Like, can a great story be enough to make you a successful writer? I'm think there are lots of great writers out there that probably have wonderful m/s under their bed, but maybe they got shot down once, a story they loved was rejected and so they threw the towel in. And yet, there are writers out there that are okay, but promote the shit out themselves. So, is a story enough?

you trying to tell me something, craig? one story does not a writer make, but i can't imagine many authors give up after one rejection - if you don't have thick skin, you'll never make it

Craig Wallwork
06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
You're more than okay. That's the only compliment you're getting from me this week. ;)

C.W. LaSart
06-20-2011, 06:46 PM
you trying to tell me something, craig? one story does not a writer make, but i can't imagine many authors give up after one rejection - if you don't have thick skin, you'll never make it

If you can't develop a thick skin-you NEED to give up. This business is brutal!

ozmosis7
06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
If you can't develop a thick skin-you NEED to give up. This business is brutal!

Also helps to wear leather as much as possible, to toughen up your skin a little more LOL. I got a very nice review the other day, and it would have been perfect--except for that last paragraph. In that last paragraph, it got pretty rough. But you just say thank you and move on. Be gracious, and it will come back to you. Rejection is a high percentage of a writers life. Keep on writing.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Shit-even if you get accepted there's always some critic out there waiting to chew you up!

KT Wagner
06-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Also helps to wear leather as much as possible, to toughen up your skin a little more LOL.

I was in politics for ten years and went on to write political opinion for another six. I don't think my skin can get any thicker! ha ha - I "escaped" to fiction writing.

Little did I know.

KT

ozmosis7
06-21-2011, 02:01 AM
I was in politics for ten years and went on to write political opinion for another six. I don't think my skin can get any thicker! ha ha - I "escaped" to fiction writing.

Little did I know.

KT

ROFL, Nice!

ozmosis7
06-21-2011, 02:05 AM
On another note, one day I am going to write story about my sinuses and some of the things I wish to do to them, like stab them with a knitting needle.

TerryE
06-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Didn't someone already do that with their tonsils? C'mon oz, don't be derivative!

ozmosis7
06-21-2011, 03:40 AM
Didn't someone already do that with their tonsils? C'mon oz, don't be derivative!

LOL true. Forgot about that story.

Draven Ames
06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
What are your favorite words to sprinkle in your stories? Random question.

KT Wagner
06-21-2011, 06:26 AM
What are your favorite words to sprinkle in your stories? Random question.

Random question? How about some random words?

http://www.savethewords.org/ (the site takes a minute to load)

For the novel I am currently slogging over...er, working on...I've adopted prandicle and agonyclite, meaning small meal and religious types who stand rather than kneeling, respectively.

As for favourite words, do the ones I keep having to edit out due to overuse count?

KT

KT Wagner
06-21-2011, 06:30 AM
I found another word to adopt. Sorry, it's mine now.

Morsicant producing the sensation of repeated biting or pricking

ozmosis7
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
That is a very cool website.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Sheesh-my editor digs me for using words like distended and hazing-says people won't know what they mean. Morsicant-they would die!

mlouisdixon
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I got ripped for using the word "swooned"

MLD

Randy D. Rubin
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.

LOL-I'm fortunate, my friend went to school for it then decided to be a stay at home Mom, so she plays my second set of eyes, then there's the editors at the publisher.

Randy D. Rubin
06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!

TerryE
06-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!

I hear ya! My stories for the anthology go through about 5-7 edits and rewrites before they are finished. It's exhausting and exhilirating at the same time!

Craig Wallwork
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Terry, I think he mentioned that in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

EDIT - the rest I've removed based on misreading the post, just as the little part of my brain should be removed that misreads posts.

Randy D. Rubin
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Well, my beloved says that if I don't get something published this year she's going to start lighting the wood stove with my little darlings so... I must find a good home for these horphans ( ooh, I just made that up.) Horror orphans. There might be something workable there... hummmmmph

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.I totally get not using too many fifty-cent words, but when I feel that the word is valid and we aren't giving the reader credit, then I get ornery about it. There is a fine line between keeping it real and dumbing it down. ;) I also wasn't ripping on my editors-they rock out loud!

TerryE
06-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I tend to draw a lot from the Internet. Most of my stories lean toward fact, or medical anomalies, so it's difficult not to reference. Though, I love it when i can just write a story using my own knowledge and nothing more. Shame i don't know that much.

Research and reference are fine, but the point he was making was to not alter the flow of your work to stop and look up something. All that stuff should be done before you start for the day, or after that day's draft. And my point was that I agree with avoiding the thesaurus.

Craig Wallwork
06-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Sorry. Edited.

Draven Ames
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
People won't know "hazing?" Really?

Draven Ames
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
What about beautiful words you love to use? Words that aren't necessarily thesaurus words, but have a beauty in the written language. Like sapphire or radiant.

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I love my editor a ton! She is FANTASTIC! This is one of the few things we disagree on, but it's okay. We always work it out. I like to come across words I don't know, I look them up and then I have learned something :)

RJHubbard53
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
I find myself not using many flourish-y words. I feel it obfuscates the story so much so that many may opt to defenestrate the book as opposed to completing it

C.W. LaSart
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I find myself not using many flourish-y words. I feel it obfuscates the story so much so that many may opt to defenestrate the book as opposed to completing itNow that's funny!

TerryE
06-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I like to come across words I don't know, I look them up and then I have learned something :)

I like that, too. My favorite example is Nick Cave's "And the Ass Saw the Angel". I don't know if any of you have read it, but when I read it I wrote down the words I didn't know on a legal pad. There was a word I had never heard every couple pages. I thought the man had an incredible vocabulary or was extremely gifted at making up words, since all of them seemed to have proper roots to be English words. I eventually filled 4 pages on my legal pad and found very few of them in my dictionary. It wasn't until a year or so later, when I had access to the OED online for a while, that I discovered all of the words were real or at least derived properly from their etymological roots. Priceless. And an the book is a great read on top of that.

Craig Wallwork
06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I like that, too. My favorite example is Nick Cave's "And the Ass Saw the Angel".

One of favourite books of all time. LOVED IT! his prose had its own rhythm, like it was a song that lasted 250 pages. Man, I could talk about that book till the cows come home. Sadly, it's late here in the UK and i have to be up at 5am. Still, thanks Terry for ending my night with a smile. :)

Shiney
06-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Agrees with the above..."And The Ass Saw The Angel" was fantastic...IS fantastic. Gorgeous language. I liked "The Death Of Bunny Monroe," but it wasn't the same.

KT Wagner
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Sheesh-my editor digs me for using words like distended and hazing-says people won't know what they mean. Morsicant-they would die!

I am planning to use it as a character name. :-)

KT Wagner
06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
What about beautiful words you love to use? Words that aren't necessarily thesaurus words, but have a beauty in the written language. Like sapphire or radiant.

I'm partial to words that roll off the tongue in harmony with their meaning. I think that is the source of much of the beauty. Sapphire and radiant are two of them.

Others,

Cacophony rampage crescendo mesmerize repugnant

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Imagine one of these dumb-it-down editors around to destroy works like Poe's "The Raven". I think there is a line we have to establish as writers when it comes to editing. It's individual but at what point is the integrity of our work destroyed?

She is really great about disagreeing but letting me have my way-I give in on little things so I can be insistent about the big ones. We truly have a harmonious balance.

RichardThomas
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
sounds like a great editor

Craig Wallwork
06-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Agrees with the above..."And The Ass Saw The Angel" was fantastic...IS fantastic. Gorgeous language. I liked "The Death Of Bunny Monroe," but it wasn't the same.

Makes me so happy to hear that, Shiney. "Mah innards" was churning throughout that damn book. :D It influenced my new novel a lot, too. The Death of Bunny was, one first read, poles apart from the Ass, yet, where the surface level of Ass was so rich and dense, I think with Bunny, Cave cleverly implanted it all unner the skin of the story. And it's safe to say I have been to Butlins holiday camp and there is no better analogy of Hell than that place.

C.W. LaSart
06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
That's great C.W. I wasn't talking about your editor - not enough info to judge, not that I would judge an individual on an open forum - but I can see how it might have come across that way.

KTI didn't take it that way at all! And I can see how I may have looked defensive but wasn't aiming to. That's the problem with not being able to feel inflection in text!

Randy D. Rubin
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Why haven't we used this nasty little thread in damn near a year? Is there no randomness in the universe worth the converse in this sow's purse? What could be worse? (Is this poetic attempt at thread revival alliteration or simile?)

peteOcha
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I guess the "Random Thoughts" thread took over...:)

Randy D. Rubin
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes, this thread still has a wee bit o' magic left in it.

RichardThomas
05-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Berkley (Penguin) asked to see the full manuscript of Disintegration. such a great feeling to have a major press do that. i just finished up my MFA, so glad to have that done. i'm re-reading King's ON WRITING, so good. writing a column on how to write horror for Lit Reactor, and teaching a one-day class on it as well, here in Chicago. going camping with my son this weekend, for the first time in a tent. excited to see Prometheus. there, enough random?

Randy D. Rubin
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Made up new 'Monster' for latest story (I wanted something different) now outlining it. Baking grandson's birthday cake on Thursday for party Friday. Must catalogue and appraise some old lady's deceased hubby's coin collection supposedly worth eighty grand. It's a paying gig so we'll see. I have more new grass in my tomato garden than I do in my lawn, old or new. My German sheppard puppy bit me a drew blood. Now I have to figure out how to fit her in the garbage disposal. (It went so much easier when I did the wife; it hasn't run right since.) Sunday morning coffee is the greatest invention since the garbage disposal, don't you think. More Random to follow.

C.W. LaSart
05-21-2012, 01:33 AM
I've been very busy with projects and it's amazing how time consuming it can be to try to track down authors to verify the eligibility of their books for a Stoker award. That's all my random for now!

ozmosis7
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Ever write one of those stories that you end up quite pleased with the subtext and all, and yet you wish it were longer, but think you would ruin it by doing so?

Randy D. Rubin
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Yep Ozmo, I hate to second guess something I think is good and feel it either needs to be longer or shorter. If it ain't broke don't fix it, Bro.

RichardThomas
08-04-2012, 04:52 PM
saw Woman in Black. dog kept barking and growling at the tv screen. freaked me out. good movie, not great, but good.

peteOcha
08-04-2012, 07:41 PM
saw Woman in Black. dog kept barking and growling at the tv screen. freaked me out. good movie, not great, but good.

I've been meaning to see that. I'll have to give it a shot then.

Randy D. Rubin
08-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I found a book of horror stories from the forties and fifties and I just finished one from Earnest Hemingway called "The Killers" and it truly sucked. Many of these tales have no horror element at all.

Randy D. Rubin
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Somebody come out and play random thoughts with me! Right now! Or so help me I'm telling mom it was YOU who put the Ben-Gay in all her brassiere cups.

Randy D. Rubin
09-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey Ozmo! Just saw your name in this week's Duotrope, my man! Well done. Very Awesome.

ozmosis7
09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Randy.

TerryE
09-03-2012, 05:15 PM
And I've been reading "These Old Tails" on my phone Kindle.

Randy D. Rubin
09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi Terry, how've you been? What's going on in your life lately my friend? Happy Labor Day to one and all by the by!

ozmosis7
09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I hope you enjoy it, Terry.

TerryE
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Terry, how've you been? What's going on in your life lately my friend? Happy Labor Day to one and all by the by!

The new job, that I started in May, is keeping me very busy. And tried to spend as much time as I could with the little guy over the summer. He just started 1st grade, so that's a lot of fun. I haven't been making nearly enough time for writing.

Randy D. Rubin
09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
It's good to hear from you Terry. I just finished a vampire short story told three different ways. I'm gonna take some time to submit a bunch of tales and recharge my brain for a day or two.

TerryE
09-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Hey remember, if you need a test reader, the offer is there.

Randy D. Rubin
09-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks my friend. I'm going to take you up on that offer.

Randy D. Rubin
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Hello my friends! I have a serious question to those of you who have the experience to guide me. I have submitted stories to several places that are sitting on my stories for an ungodly amount of "down time". My first acceptance has been promised to be published last Sept and the entire operation is on hold for however long the editor of the anthologies wants to postpone all press operations. Do I pull it? It's been out there for close to a year doing nothing, paying nothing.
Being as its my first ever acceptance I'm being what I feel is very very very friggin' patient. I have another novella that won't be published until May of next year and that's a lot of down time that I'm not getting paid. Am I being a Dick?Which leads me to my next question. I know I'm just getting my foot in the door so-to-speak with these story acceptances but is it bad form to not want to give them away? I'm seeing a lot of ' for the love" and 'exposure only' and contributor's copy of the E-book and it kind of pisses me off that these fledgling presses and publishers want my work but want it donated or act like they are in fact doing me a favor by putting my work in their never-before-heard-of-magazine. I'm referring to most of what's on The Horror Tree and several Duotrope markets. Again, I know I'm new to this but what is the proper ettiquette for this "wanting to get some scratch" for my hard work and effort. Do I keep giving them out "for the love"? or for a holy copy of their finished holy grail? Final thought: I have five story acceptances out and still haven't qualified monetarily to join HWA. That sucks, right? If I'm being a dick please tell me I need to calm down and stay patient. Help me out here, fellow yarn spinners.

RichardThomas
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
As far as money, that's your call. Some authors will only publish for pro pay, other for some pay, and some work their way from highest to lowest and take what they can get. It's really up to you. There is a benefit to exposure, for sure, so it's not always about getting paid, but that's a personal choice.

As for your story sitting there for a year, what have they said to you? Are they going to fold, did this have a release date, did you sign a contract? So many questions. I had a story accepted for an anthology for pay (split of royalties) and it stalled, lost the publisher, contract expired, then it was going to be self-published and i said screw that, I'm pulling that story. I'm submitting it now to various markets. I've also had stories get accepted and it take 1.5 years to finally publish. If you can afford to be more patient, after getting satisfactory answers to my previous questions, then wait. But I'd see what they have to say.

C.W. LaSart
11-04-2012, 09:30 PM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to get paid. Writers should get paid, but I would never begrudge someone the boost of confidence thay can get by having any acceptance at all.

ozmosis7
11-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I agree with everything that has been said thus far. Personally, I've been focusing on pro markets with the occasional semi-pro market/exposure markets. But this is more because of my desire to become an active member of the HWA. But it is good to set goals and never give up on them. That is a big part of success. Pro markets can take longer because they have more subs, or perhaps read them more times. Anyway, I have 2 stories that ave now been out over a year and 3 others trailing those in the high 200's. Think of it as an investment, as not all investments pay off.

As to the length of time it takes to go to print, it can vary. I've done some of this myself, so I have a pretty good feel for the formatting and such, the process involved. It depends on how hard you work. But then again, my collection has several stories in it that had been accepted for a long time before the anthologies went under. It happens.

As for my experience with the FTL markets, it hasn't been great. I submitted to 2 because I had faith in them. One left me out of the book by mistake (I will note they were quite apologetic about it). The other took a year to get the contracts out and I am still waiting for the anthology to be published. If it expires I'll take it back.

I'm hesitant when one of these markets claims "exposure" as they have to do something for it to be worth anything. If they never attend cons or take out ads or any promotional materials, then how is that exposure? And I'm not arguing Richard's point, just bringing up what to look for. A good market that claims exposure will work hard to drive people to read these stories. Be careful of those who sit back and collect the royalties for themselves while expecting the authors families/friends to be the only exposure.

That's my 3 cents (that's one higher). Hope it helped.

Randy D. Rubin
11-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate all the sage advice. I think my not knowing the reputable from the fly-by night presses and publishers out there has me wondering if they really appreciate the time and effort we put into these tales. The first acceptance pays 1.00 per thousand words equals 3.50 check for a story that has been in limbo for a year. I don't NEED the money, but on the other hand I don't want to feel like I'm giving most everything I've ever written away for a pittance. It cheapens what we do, to some degree, is how I feel about it. I have no idea what happened to the lady who runs this press. I joined her forum and was told from a third party that she has stated as of the 12th of last month that a total revamp of the press is forthcoming. Again, I am tickled beyond belief just to be accepted for publication in most instances. I have literally hundreds of stories to put out from a thirty year writing cache and as they get gobbled up by FTL's and contributor's copy presses or start up magazines that claim they can't pay now but maybe later after the rag gets off the ground, I can't help but feel like I'm short changing myself and my stories. But then again I'm so new to this publishing process I'm guessing I really don't have a legit bitch until I get more solidly established. Thanks again everyone for the lesson in humility and I'll keep putting out stories until I set the hook and can reel in some serious writer's clout.

C.W. LaSart
11-05-2012, 01:55 AM
What is the press?

RichardThomas
11-05-2012, 02:25 AM
if i had hundreds of stories to shop i would rank them (A=best work, B=good work, C=solid work) and totally submit wide and far. Since you haven't had much exposure yet, anything will help right now. I have stories, for example, that I spent years on for my MFA program, and I'm slowly sending them to the BEST literary journals in the land, but since these are all <3% acceptance markets (most actually more like <1%) it is SLOW and painful. i'm about 8 months in, nothing accepted yet.

as for straight horror, there are ONLY so many pro paying markets, magazines, anthologies and websites. maybe 30? so, those will disappear fast. after that, hit the semi-pro, and then the "cool" places and/or consider shopping a collection, if you have so much work. just do what feels right. you can always ask here about places, if you aren't sure how "good" a place is. we all know the markets pretty well, i'd think. sometimes it's putting your trust in an editor you know well, other times it's taking a risk because it LOOKS good. with so many stories, i'm sure you can afford to take a few risks.

i'm also 44 years old, coming to this later in life, so i don't mess around. right now i have seven stories out to 64 publications.

Randy D. Rubin
11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
What I feel may be best work has for the most part been rejected. I have pieces that I know jump the horror tracks and wander aimlessly in the bizarro fields. I have stories written completely in rhyme and the quatrains fill enough pages to constitute short fiction in verse format... and several publishers tell me there is no such thing as a short horror story told in complete rhyme. I have dark stories laced with sardonic humor and I have comedic stories of a dark hue. All of my stories are told from a fictional place all over the world called "Dreadmere"'; that's MY Yahknapatahpha County-- Faulkner's fictional place. Most all of my tales are written in dialects from people I have heard in my travels around the world as a result of twenty years service in the U.S.Navy. They add a spice to my tales, an authenticity that I like. My point is what I feel is 'solid' or 'good' or 'the best thing I've written in a while' may be mediocre shit in the eyes of an anthology publisher or magazine editor. I will definitely ask you all if you think certain markets are legit or beneficial to my writing career both short term and long term. I have 14 tales out to fourteen markets because they say no simultaneous subs and what they're looking for thematically aren't quite what I have in my story stash. The new Duotrope just came out so I'm going to shop out some more. Take a look at The Horror Tree and see what I mean about all these 'Exposure Only' markets.

TerryE
11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I have stories written completely in rhyme and the quatrains fill enough pages to constitute short fiction in verse format... and several publishers tell me there is no such thing as a short horror story told in complete rhyme..

I can't see why you can't tell a story in rhyme. One of my favorite Neil Gaiman stories, and one of the most disturbing stories I've ever read, (Eaten: Scenes from a Moving Picture) was written in iambic pentameter verse form. And it works very well, even the parts that are written like a screenplay. Don't despair, but maybe save those for your first collection.

Randy D. Rubin
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
That, my friend, is an excellent idea. How are you these days?

RichardThomas
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
randy, here's my thoughts on NSS:

http://whatdoesnotkillme.com/2009/08/31/simultaneous/

TerryE
11-05-2012, 10:01 PM
That, my friend, is an excellent idea. How are you these days?

I've been good. Very busy, but good. Work eats up so much more time than the job I had last year, but that company has now closed up, so it's much better this way. I'm trying to complete NaNoWriMo this year. If I get some writing done tonight it will officially be the longest I've been at it. I've taken the wild, dangerous leap of starting a novel with no planning whatsoever, so I really hope I can keep it going. At midnight on the 31st, I got a title from a desktop icon, and a first sentence popped into my mind. I'm way behind my average on the word count, but hope to catch up before the end of the month. It's a fun ride so far with no idea where the story will go. I know the basics of my setting (it being my own fictional little corner of the world), but I've already learned a couple new things about the history and geography of the county, so that's really cool.

Randy D. Rubin
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Best of luck Terry. I know you can do this.

William J. Grabowski
12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
MLD: I'm swooning with revulsion. Man, how much longer will people actually be able--and willing--to read at all?
Bill G.

Ben Staad
12-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Woot! Writing today and it feels great. The story may not be but it feels great to be writing again.

Randy D. Rubin
12-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I haven't written in a week. I feel so dirty! I need to get back into my nut house story and finish it, damn it. I just got The Century's Best Horror Two Volume monster set from my daughter and I want to dive in and not come out for a while. Is that a piss poor excuse NOT to go back to the writing... Hells to the yes! So I'll wait on the Century of Spooky until I finish this tale I'm writing. There, I've said it. So let it be written, so let it be done, as Yul Brenner use to say.

ozmosis7
12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Wicked bad sinus headaches here lately, but forcing myself to pound something out. If I can't fix it later, I'll trash it. Otherwise just another day hard at work. Glad you are getting something out, Tim. And you gotta do what you gotta do, Randy. Reading certainly isn't the worst of choices. :)

Ben Staad
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Have fun Randy and thanks Ken! I'm happy to be putting something on the hard drive for a change.

C.W. LaSart
01-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I started the year with a submission to Blood Bound Books Night Terrors III. Here's to a productive year and pro sales for us all!

TerryE
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I started the year with a submission to Blood Bound Books Night Terrors III. Here's to a productive year and pro sales for us all!

Happy New Year to you, too.

And a super thank you to you, Caren, for your Open Call Facebook page. I have just made my first submission! I'm not going to hold my breath too deep, since the deadline was today, and it's only a second draft. But my fingers are gonna stay crossed.

I hope to have a productive year, and hope the rest of you do, too.

C.W. LaSart
01-02-2013, 02:17 AM
I'm so glad you have found value in the page! Good luck on your submission and should it be rejection, cherish it as your first!

TerryE
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm so glad you have found value in the page! Good luck on your submission and should it be rejection, cherish it as your first!

Being cherished as we speak. "Alas it does not fit my needs." On to the next thing.

C.W. LaSart
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I got one of those yesterday as well, but I was expecting it. I knew it was stretch for the theme.

TerryE
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Mine was too. It was for a zombie anthology and the story was a stream of consciousness, first person account.

Randy D. Rubin
01-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone I just got an acceptance to Scarlett River Press's "In Darkness Dwells" anthology. My first professional poetry sale. I'm so stoked! Yabba dabba doooooo!

Sabrina Morgan
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Congrats

Lucian Poll
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Nice one, Randy. :)

I wouldn't know where to begin writing poetry, so hats off to you. Knowing me they'd all turn out like limericks!

3... 2... 1... There was a young man from Nantucket...

Yeah. I'd better stop right there.

TerryE
01-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Way to go RR.

Randy D. Rubin
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks all.

C.W. LaSart
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
A lovely little review on Goodreads from our very own Squire. Thank you Sir! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/504196044

srboone
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
You're welcome, Caren. Looking forward to any future offerings from you.

Hedda Gabler
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
In the town I live in, there is a used book store that has been in place for 40+ years. It is big and old and the same family has owned it since the beginning. It is stuffed to the rafters with books. Good ones, bad ones, rare ones. I just wanted to tell Cemetery Dance that in all the years I've gone in there, I have never once since a Cemetery Dance book on their shelves. Of course, Cemetery Dance isn't as old, but to me it just says that people will sell their books, but not Cemetery Dance books. I always look at the spines in search of someone selling something, but never never see one.

Hmm, that also might be due to the area of the country I'm in. I wonder how many customers they have from my state? Without saying where I am located, probably not many. :-)

Randy D. Rubin
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello again my friends. I just heard a tidbit of sad gossip that Pill Hill Press is going under. It's a sad thing when a market that we send stories to goes down. But you didn't hear that from me. I was over at Wicked East press's forum and I heard it there. On the plus side I found another Horror market place like Duotrope called Dark world or something like that... It starts with dark AND ITS FRIGGIN' FREE (those money grubbin' Duotropic rat bastards).
Next order of WTF... is it bad form to ask someone to read your first novella and give an honest review say, on Goodreads or some other reputable place? My first book (E-Book only) HASN'T sold one single solitary copy. Anyway, if one of you would like to read it, review it and post said review somewhere where actual other people who read are looking and reading at any given time, I would greatly appreciate it and be forever in your debt. If it's bad Writer form, then forget I ever brought it up.

ozmosis7
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
If you want to send me a copy, Ill add it to my reading list. ken@kennethwcain.com

Randy D. Rubin
01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Awesome Ozmo. Congrats again and thanks.

Randy D. Rubin
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Have yourself a very happy birthday Cee Dub. I just received the facebook notification. Hope you have a relaxing, enjoyable 20th birthday party. (Tee Hee)

addy.watson
01-28-2013, 05:07 AM
This is a nice thread indeed to discuss and share information. But things here are little bit unorganized. I was searching a thread on dancing but could not find it. Anybody please help.

C.W. LaSart
01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks Randy! It's actually on Wednesday, and I'm going to be 21 ;)

Randy D. Rubin
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Why that means you'll be able to drink in that bar you tended for all those years. I mean legally of course. Have yo read any good novellas lately? Like... say... mine?

srboone
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Well, then. That's why Joe Mckinney stole your vodka at the WHC last year! ;)

C.W. LaSart
01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Not yet, Randy ;) I'm still catching up on blurbs and won't blurb something I haven't read. And he drank my vodka, Squire :) It was offered freely LOL

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Okay Here's another Announcement. My Second Novella "The Witch of Dreadmere Forest" is now out at Secret Cravings Publishing. They told me May but I guess they couldn't wait to get this one out to the masses. I wish to goodness I could show you all the cover for this E-book but I can't seem to figure out how to transfer it over here, Damn IT. I hope you all like it. I also found out that my first published short story is available from Cruentus Libri Press in the paperback book, "Suffer the Little Children" and it is available through Amazon and CreateSpace. I want you to enjoy that horror tale as well.

Sabrina Morgan
01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Looks great.

Randy D. Rubin
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you Sabrina. And God bless you. I don't know how you did it but I truly appreciate it.

Sabrina Morgan
02-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Thank you Sabrina. And God bless you. I don't know how you did it but I truly appreciate it.

Any time, ;)

Ben Staad
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Okay Here's another Announcement. My Second Novella "The Witch of Dreadmere Forest" is now out at Secret Cravings Publishing. They told me May but I guess they couldn't wait to get this one out to the masses. I wish to goodness I could show you all the cover for this E-book but I can't seem to figure out how to transfer it over here, Damn IT. I hope you all like it. I also found out that my first published short story is available from Cruentus Libri Press in the paperback book, "Suffer the Little Children" and it is available through Amazon and CreateSpace. I want you to enjoy that horror tale as well.

Congrats, Randy! The cover of "The Witch of Dreadmere Forest" looks wonderful.

Randy D. Rubin
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Why thank you. Dawne' Dominique is the artist and she does amazing work at Secret Cravings Publishing.

tchoppy
03-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Congrats to everyone who has been published! Someday I'll be there. For now I write and am slowly submitting again. It's true you do need thick skin. I think I got one rejection letter for a novella I wrote. I crumpled it up and never took the positive suggestions the publisher suggested and for awhile I kind of gave up on fiction writing.

I have since created a creative writing website I dedicate to inspiring others, but felt something was still missing. I just found that rejection letter, opened it up and read it, and it really wasn't as bad as I had made it seem. Anyway it's true you need to have thick skin and you need to just keep getting up and submitting your stories and novels.

Congrats again and good luck to everyone else. Keep trying!

C.W. LaSart
03-22-2013, 03:34 AM
I only met him briefly last year, but the loss of Rick Hautala leaves a void in our horror community that cannot be filled. I wanted to share with you all the youtube clip of him receiving his Lifetime Achievement Award from the HWA last year in Salt Lake City. I am honored to have been in that room and shared the moment. As writers, I think what we seek is that mark on the world, that little bit of immortality when we are gone. Rick definitely achieved that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-xaglJy1Q

Randy D. Rubin
03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I just wanted to tell someone, anyone that I finished my Warlock Story. I WAS going to write a Rats type story but it'll have to wait now as I have an awesome idea for a Minotaur story set in the Wild Wild West. (Yippe Kie yie yay!) and (Git along, little Doggie!) As far as those three great authors who decided to attend HeavenCon together all I can say is we'll miss you, we'll miss your signature products, and as a fellow writer myself, "What an ending, huh?" We sure didn't see that coming guys. oh yeah, and your stories were a little too damn short. Now I'm back to work. A fresh canvas, Maestro, little music if you please, fingers at the ready.... and...

ozmosis7
06-30-2013, 07:48 PM
FRESH CUT TALES is nearly finished. Time to prepare an ARC before making my final passes through the stories.

ozmosis7
09-08-2013, 03:46 PM
By the way, Randy. Love that cover.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I mentioned this here before or not, but I have started two new pages on my website. On the "markets" thread, I try to list any paying markets I know of, broken down to the very basics of what they want (in my own little language, so take it as you will). But there are direct links to the submissions guidelines to each. Also, on the "writing links" page you will find a bit of everything, from articles I have found interesting to some very helpful resources to some fun things to do or watch. It's a bit of everything and far from finished, but I hope both pages are useful to those in search of such things.

ozmosis7
10-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Figured I would pass this on, as I just received the link. Advertising prices for the upcoming issue of Jamais Vu. Check it out and if you decide to take out an ad, be sure to mention my name.
http://www.jamaisvujournal.com/advertise