PDA

View Full Version : Open Markets

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Please put the date in the post, so we know when it closes. Also, an other important information.

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.warofthewordspress.com/weird-war-anthology.html - Open until July 31

RichardThomas
06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/special-noir-issue-submissions-wanted/

peteOcha
06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Great idea oz! This will be a useful thread! That war anthology looks interesting.

Ben Staad
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/special-noir-issue-submissions-wanted/

Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.

TerryE
06-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow. This is great for all of us. Especially the new and lazy ones like me, who really know very little about the market.

RichardThomas
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.

It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!

Ben Staad
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!

I will admit I hadn't seen that bit from Hemingway before. Very poignant for so few words. Thank you for the tips.

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Some authors use as a tool to refine their writing as well. Same with flash contests.

RichardThomas
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Just ran across this. Not sure, site is a bit wonky and these "one-off" anthologies can be a bit weak, but who knows. Could be worth dashing off 1000 words. Pays $20 a story. Thoughts?

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

http://horrortree.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/trust-and-treachery-639x1024.jpg

RJK1981
06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Hmm, that one sounds interesting at least, might have to think about that one. $20 isn't much, but it's still money

Ben Staad
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Just ran across this. Not sure, site is a bit wonky and these "one-off" anthologies can be a bit weak, but who knows. Could be worth dashing off 1000 words. Pays $20 a story. Thoughts?

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

http://horrortree.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/trust-and-treachery-639x1024.jpg

The website looks alright I guess.....It would be interesting to see if this thing actually see's the light of day though.

mlouisdixon
06-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Here's one that sounds really cool. It's the second of their series. You can read the first for free in PDF to get the gist of what they're looking for. I've read half the book and it's pretty dang good.

Machine of Death (deadline is July 15, 2011)
http://machineofdeath.net/a/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mod-papertear.jpg (http://machineofdeath.net/mod2)

I've posted my story over in the Share Your Work forum

MLD

ozmosis7
06-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Ya I've been thinking on something for that one. It does sound interesting.

WesleySouthard
06-16-2011, 03:03 AM
$200? Good lord!

Craig Wallwork
06-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Here are some other flash fiction stories:

Failed SAT. Lost scholarship. Invented rocket.
- William Shatner

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
- Joss Whedon

Automobile warranty expires. So does engine.
- Stan Lee

Machine. Unexpectedly, I’d invented a time
- Alan Moore

Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
- Margaret Atwood

Also, and I don't know how true this is, but there is a lot of scepticism regarding Hemmingway's story. I found this:

Two curious elements of the "baby shoes" tale are that no one seems to have been able to locate an original source or publication that establishes Hemingway's authorship of the story, and that the tale itself (i.e., the claim that Hemingway wrote such a story) apparently doesn't go back much further than the 1990s. An explanation we believe accounts for both these elements is that the six-word-story originated not with Hemingway himself, but with Papa, a one-man play about Hemingway which was written by John deGroot and debuted in 1996. As the New York Daily News noted in a May 1996 review of Papa.

Still, if he didn't write it, whoever did created a wonderful story that has had us all champing at the bit to write flash fiction.

TreacheryAntho
06-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Hey, thanks for the shout out! We're pretty excited about the premise. Politics and genre fiction what could better? I did want to go ahead and post our general information if that would be more helpful to folks -

We are pleased to announce a new anthology Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence.

Power struggles, politics, posturing: whether it’s parliament, the royal family, a coven, or your homeowner’s association, power breeds distrust, intrigue, and violence.

We want your awesomest stories!

We are looking for stories that are 1000-5000 words in length. We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later.

Submissions will be open from June 15, 2011 to December 15th, 2011 and will be through our online submission manager. We will announce some acceptances as we go, but will hold a majority of slots open until the end. We also hope to respond to submissions within 6-8 weeks, but will hang on to some stories longer if they are being considered.

We are very open as to genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc. Please no romance, YA or erotica (though relevant sexual content is fine).

Check out our Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com (http://treachery.mlcrawford.com)for more details. We look forward to reading your stories!

And of course feel free to send us a note if you have any questions at: TreacheryAntho@gmail.com

Best,
Day Al-Mohamed, Co-Editor
Trust & Treachery Anthology

TreacheryAntho
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey, thanks for the shout out! We're pretty excited about the premise. Politics and genre fiction, what could be better? :) I thought, if it would be helpful, to post a bit more information here directly, if that's okay.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

We are pleased to announce a new anthology Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence.Power struggles, politics, posturing: whether it’s parliament, the royal family, a coven, or your homeowner’s association, power breeds distrust, intrigue, and violence.

We want your awesomest stories!

We are looking for stories that are 1000-5000 words in length. We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later.

Submissions will be open from June 15, 2011 to December 15th, 2011 and will be through our online submission manager. We will announce some acceptances as we go, but will hold a majority of slots open until the end. We also hope to respond to submissions within 6-8 weeks, but will hang on to some stories longer if they are being considered.

We are very open as to genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc. Please no romance, YA or erotica (though relevant sexual content is fine).

Check out our Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com (http://treachery.mlcrawford.com)for more details. Although, if there is anything wonky about the site, let me know so we can address it ASAP.

And of course feel free to send us a note directly if you have any other questions at: TreacheryAntho@gmail.com

Looking forward to reading your submissions!

Best,
Day Al-Mohamed, Co-Editor
Trust & Treachery

KT Wagner
06-17-2011, 03:25 AM
You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

June 22nd,

Lost contest. Started riot in Vancouver.

RichardThomas
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/18/iloldcat.jpg

ozmosis7
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL. Good one KT

mlouisdixon
06-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Hey everyone,

I was following up on my, God knows how many years, wait for the Borderlands 6 anthology publishing date. I found out that they've recently opened up to submissions again. Here's a link to their guidelines:
http://www.borderlandspress.com/submissions.html

Please submit something, but make sure you read the guidelines first.

MLD

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the link MLD.

RichardThomas
06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
awesome, thanks MLD - i'm going to send over "Rudy" for sure, if i don't make the final three here

Craig Wallwork
06-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Yep, 13 may make an appearence too on Borderland's slushpile. Thanks, MLD.

mlouisdixon
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's a new call for submissions one of the my Horror Library forum pals put up:

C O R R U P T S A B S O L U T E L Y ? (http://lincolncrisler.info/anthology-guidelines/)

MLD

ozmosis7
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting

Andrew
07-02-2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for starting this thread and posting all of these calls for stories. I never know where to find this stuff. I've got a story that seems (at least to me) perfect for the 'Corrupts Absolutely?' anthology. I appreciate the heads up.

mercuryval
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Great idea for this thread! Thanks!

Randy D. Rubin
07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I just went to a site that was on duotrope called The Horror Zine and it shows a man who is a con artist and plagerist and I wondered if any one here on the forum know of any other rip-off publishing sites like this one. This guy steals stories and story ideas and submits them and makes money off other people's writing. NOW I'M ALL PARANOID TO SEND MY BABIES OUT TO BE PUBLISHED. I feel that we work too hard on our craft to have someone usurp our products for their own personal gain! Anyone?

mercuryval
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I just went to a site that was on duotrope called The Horror Zine and it shows a man who is a con artist and plagerist and I wondered if any one here on the forum know of any other rip-off publishing sites like this one. This guy steals stories and story ideas and submits them and makes money off other people's writing. NOW I'M ALL PARANOID TO SEND MY BABIES OUT TO BE PUBLISHED. I feel that we work too hard on our craft to have someone usurp our products for their own personal gain! Anyone?

That's terrible. Though I can't imagine it would be very easy to make money this way--it's hard enough for writers to make money with their work. It doesn't seem worth the trouble to steal others' ideas and then try to sell them--I'm sure there are much more lucrative cons out there he could try!

ozmosis7
07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Finally figured out my story for Machine of Death. Now if only it comes out as good as I visualize it internally. It had better, as I am up against the wall on this one.

Ben Staad
07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Finally figured out my story for Machine of Death. Now if only it comes out as good as I visualize it internally. It had better, as I am up against the wall on this one.

Good Luck! I outlined something about a week ago for this but just can't seem to get started on it. I'm thinking I will miss the submission deadline.

TerryE
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm about 1/3 of the way in on mine. But, again, really pushing the window.

Beambounder
07-11-2011, 05:54 PM
RISK,unfortunately is part of life;go tried and true Scribner,Viking/penguin,little brown, TOR,Del Rey.This site(Cemetery Dance) has a link for writers,right here on the sales pages. Magazines,even unsavory ones-it's how King started selling stories to Budoir ;whilst living in a motor home. Life could be worse. no motor home, no men's magazines to help start you off. He still publishes in playboy-did so just two years ago. You take what you can get early on. If you loose some babies-you'll write others. Just GET OUT THERE.Hey,i sold many paintings and illustrations over the years;only to find out they sold double me losing 50% each time,i have heard the paintings got stolen all 50 of them big ones,I eventually got my money coercion by a deep voiced coal miner named bruce who is near 7 feet tall always seems to turn a net 90 payment to net 40 really fast. unfortunate but true. Research all you can,get contracts in writing-look for feedback from others who used the publisher. It is a hard world with some very unpalatable simians -to say the least-perfect paranoia is at times perfect awareness.Beambounder

RichardThomas
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
shoot, i may miss this deadline for MOD

ozmosis7
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
shoot, i may miss this deadline for MOD

Just got my sent off. Phew!

mlouisdixon
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Just got my sent off. Phew!

Now it's the big wait until October. Best of luck brother.

MLD

RichardThomas
07-15-2011, 10:32 PM
somehow i managed to write a story for MOD2 today (with 8 hours to spare!) very happy with it - it's called "Fireflies" - hope to see you all in the TOC for MOD2 - best of luck

johnpeters
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
What the heck? I keep trying to reply with quote and I get an error message that says my message is too short?

KT Wagner
07-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Writer's Digest just announced a horror short story contest (up to 4000 words). Nice prizes but there is an entry fee. Deadline - October 31st - I guess that's supposed to be funny :-) It also isn't clear whether winning entries will be published. They mention the names will be published in their magazine.

http://www.writersdigest.com/competitions/wd-horror-competition?et_mid=512432&rid=3054192

WesleySouthard
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I saw that one too, but I'm not sure about the paying to get into it.

Craig Wallwork
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Personally, I never pay for someone to read my story. I've come close once or twice, but really, it needs to be the other way around.

Randy D. Rubin
07-29-2011, 08:04 AM
I whole-heartedly agree with you Craig.

ozmosis7
07-29-2011, 12:26 PM
It reminds me of that old poetry contest company that got busted. The winners never really won anything. And I would expect more from them, but who knows.

RJHubbard53
07-29-2011, 01:42 PM
i dont want to pay anyone either; especially being so new, it would be a waste of money :)

Along these lines, there is a local group that does an anthology that I didnt get a story accepted into. I learned later that "premium members" (those that pay to "support" the group) get the anthology slots and non paying members get any that may happen to be left over. Proceeds from advertising and sales are split amongst those appearing in the anthology. Sounds like a racket to me.

Craig Wallwork
07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
That's shit, RJ. Stay way clear of places like that.

peteOcha
07-29-2011, 08:20 PM
That's shit, RJ. Stay way clear of places like that.

Yeah, what Craig said.

It's terrible that things like that happen, always take the time to do a little research on the place before you submit.

C.W. LaSart
08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Writer's Digest is legit. Also-any of the major literary mags will require some token payment to enter a contest, but you always walk away with a year's free subscription to their magazine. I have paid to enter contests before, but I limit the amount. I guess what I am saying is, just because there is a fee doesn't mean it's not legit. Look at Glimmertrain and such. Dark Moon Digest has open submissions, but their contests generally run about 10 bucks to help pay the winners. To each their own.

C.W. LaSart
08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
To clarify-I don't think you should ever have to pay a reading fee, but paying 10 bucks to get into a small-press contest is quite different

Ben Staad
10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Just that I would let folks know that KHP Publishing has open submissions starting today through the end of the month. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://khpbooks.com/submissions/

TreacheryAntho
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone who has submitted so far to Trust & Treachery. We have received some amazing stories and poems. In fact, at last count, we are just shy of 250 submissions!

For those wondering about the process, Trust & Treachery has two editors and 5 readers. Each submission is read by at least 2 people (a reader and an editor) though usually 3 (reader and both editors). Each submission has a short 1-2 sentence summary written for it; a score from 1-10 (1 being “Help my eyes are bleeding!” to 10 which is, “This is so good I’m going to turn into some creature from Lord of the Rings” – Yessssss, my Precious); a justification for the score and a final Yes, No or Maybe vote. This is done by EACH reader. As a result, we’re running a little behind on our reading schedule, but you spent time and effort on your work and we will do the same.

I know some folks would like more information. So far, we have had 3 full acceptances and are holding about 20 stories for further consideration. The vast majority of submissions have been more mystery-oriented with a rather large number of stories taking a husband-wife revenge theme. Of the three acceptances, one is science-fiction, one is horror and the third is a personal-political story.

We hope to post more often over the next few months to keep you up-to-date. In the interim, please help pass the word and send us your best stories. Can’t wait to read them!

You can submit at the Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com.

And, as always, feel free to send us a note if you have any questions at: TreacheryAntho@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Day Al-Mohamed
Editor, Trust & Treachery

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/TTSmall.jpg

ozmosis7
10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Less than 2 weeks left to enter!

http://kennethwcain.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/exciting-writing-contest-at-cafedoom/

RichardThomas
10-17-2011, 11:15 PM
ooooooooh, looks cool. hmmmmmmmm.

ozmosis7
10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
ooooooooh, looks cool. hmmmmmmmm.

It is a lot of fun, too. Last year I think i got one vote, but even more helpful was all of the open comments I received on what did or didn't work. Shock Totem was the sponsor last year, and they recently put out the winner's story in issue #4. Great opportunity and great advice, as with many of these sort of competitions. This year I am taking a slightly different approach to my story, so we will see how it fairs.