PDA

View Full Version : Author: Dan Simmons

bsaenz24
06-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to a given author.....

Ok, I think Dan Simmons is one of the best writers out there today.

So far I have read:

Ilium
Olympos
Song of Kali
Summer of Night
Winter Haunting
Carrion Comfort
Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion

How about anybosy else. Love him? Hate him?

frik51
06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to a given author.....

Ok, I think Dan Simmons is one of the best writers out there today.

How about anybosy else. Love him? Hate him?

That he definitely is.
I discovered Simmons through the reading of Carrion Comfort, which I still consider my favorite of his.
I see The Terror is missing from your list.
Do check it out; it's a very good book.

Yes, I love Simmons. Whenever he's got a new book out, I buy it, regardless the subject matter or the reviews.

sk

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I am VERY much looking forward to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316006963/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399349&creativeASIN=0316006963

Brian

bsaenz24
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Brian, if you're interested, the moved the pub date up and it is available now.

frik51, I have that and Drood. Just have not gotten to them yet. Come to think of it, I think I have basically all of his other stuff in my 47 foot TBR pile.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Oh hey, so they did! It'll go on the pile and then I'll just need time!

frik51
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I am VERY much looking forward to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316006963/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399349&creativeASIN=0316006963

Brian

I don't remember where, but I did order a special edition.
Ah, yes: Subterranean Press.

frik51, I have that and Drood. Just have not gotten to them yet.

Drood's practically the only Simmons book I did not care for too much.
Just couldn't get into it.

sk

C.W. LaSart
06-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh hey, so they did! It'll go on the pile and then I'll just need time!

Ah, time! That elusive beast! I have read Carrion Comfort and enjoyed it quite a bit, but will admit I have let his other novels slide. Looks like I need to do some catching up! I like the feeling when there's an author you enjoy and you realize they have many works you haven't read yet!

JJ Holden
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Loved Ilium, the Hyperions, Carrion Comfort and Summer of Night. I thought the Terror was magnificent. But Drood? ~~le sigh~~ I tried so hard to like that book. :(

C.W. LaSart
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Loved Ilium, the Hyperions, Carrion Comfort and Summer of Night. I thought the Terror was magnificent. But Drood? ~~le sigh~~ I tried so hard to like that book. :(

I guess I've read Summer of Night too! So many books-hard to remember what I've read!

Greg Lee
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I have read every Dan Simmons novel & short story/novella except for his contribution to the Jack Vance DYING EARTH collection from a year or so ago.

My favorites are CARRION COMFORT, the HYPERION quartet and PHASES OF GRAVITY, with books like THE TERROR & SUMMER OF NIGHT just a notch below. The only novel by Simmons that I didn't quite like was DARWIN'S BLADE, it had its moments, but to me, it didn't quite mesh together. It seemed like the things he was trying to do with that novel, he later perfected with the excellent Joe Kurtz trilogy of HARD novels (HARDCASE, HARD FREEZE & HARD AS NAILS).

Greg

bsaenz24
06-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I really have to get to those Joe Kurtz books!!! I guess they didn't sell well. When I saw Dan Simmons in Chicago, I brought several hardbacks to get signed, but not the HARD books. He specifically mentioned nobody every has those!!! LOL!

Dave1442397
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I have read every Dan Simmons novel & short story/novella except for his contribution to the Jack Vance DYING EARTH collection from a year or so ago.

My favorites are CARRION COMFORT, the HYPERION quartet and PHASES OF GRAVITY, with books like THE TERROR & SUMMER OF NIGHT just a notch below. The only novel by Simmons that I didn't quite like was DARWIN'S BLADE, it had its moments, but to me, it didn't quite mesh together. It seemed like the things he was trying to do with that novel, he later perfected with the excellent Joe Kurtz trilogy of HARD novels (HARDCASE, HARD FREEZE & HARD AS NAILS).

Greg

Darwin's Blade has always been one of my favorites despite its flaws. I'm sure I haven't read all his books, but definitely a lot of them. I'll have to check out the HARD novels, as they don't sound familiar.

frik51
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Darwin's Blade has always been one of my favorites despite its flaws.

+1

I don't think I've got much of a sense of humour, but I loved this book especially because it was incredibly funny - the only book (??) that ever made me laugh out loud.
Flaws? What flaws??

sk

Dave1442397
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
+1

I don't think I've got much of a sense of humour, but I loved this book especially because it was incredibly funny - the only book (??) that ever made me laugh out loud.
Flaws? What flaws??

sk

I don't notice any flaws myself, but a lot of reviewers did...maybe I just don't care!

As for laugh-out-loud books, how about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I read that in a bookstore (Eason, in Dublin) many years ago and was laughing out loud in the store.

swampdonkey
06-16-2011, 12:18 AM
I loved the Terror. One of my favorite books. He really makes you feel what the men felt. I also have prayers to dying stones. Book of short stories. But have only read a handful so far. But I love the introduction about him going to a writing conference and about ready to give up writing. Cool story.

Greg Lee
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Darwin's Blade has always been one of my favorites despite its flaws. I'm sure I haven't read all his books, but definitely a lot of them. I'll have to check out the HARD novels, as they don't sound familiar.

To clarify my take on DARWIN'S BLADE, I liked it, but just not to the degree that I have liked every other Simmons book. I very much enjoyed the comedy in it as well as the macho, hard-boiled action. I guess my main problem was that, to me, those two elements didn't quite mesh as neatly as they could have.

So, where I would give the rest of Dan's novels a grade of at least 4 1/2 to 5 stars, DARWIN'S BLADE would only garner 3 1/2 stars. I liked it and will probably re-read it one day, but it falls below my lofty expectations for a Dan Simmons novel.

Greg

njhorror
06-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I thought that THE TERROR was excellent.

Kept me thinking long afterward.