• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article on the lasting legacy of Kubrick's The Shining:

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/fro...t?oid=19635102

Thank you for the great read.

Mulleins
    I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

As an SK enthusiast I really enjoy this movie. For whatever reason I am not put off at all from the departure from the source material. Normally that is bothersome for me but not in the case of this film.

Thanks for sharing the article.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

In my Top Ten Films, thanks for the article posting, Martin!

Comment

No problem. The article was interesting to me because I have no memories of this films release, just the adoration of the film and Mr. Kings dislike of it. To read the take from the 'experts' upon the movies release was very interesting to me.

Comment

I've never been a fan of this movie. (This should probably go in the "Controversial movie opinions" thread...) I read THE SHINING when I was...10? 11...?, and the film was such a letdown when I saw it on TV. Shelly Duvall and that kid are as annoying as fuck, Nicholson is weird from the get-go, so he has no character arc, he just goes from creepy and strange to homicidal in a flash, there's no closure at the end, there are no characters to empathize with, except Scatman Crothers, who basically travels across the country to die like a bitch....Kubrick makes nice-looking films, but they're all ice-cold and devoid of human emotion. (Ducks and runs away.)
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
              I've never been a fan of this movie. (This should probably go in the "Controversial movie opinions" thread...) I read THE SHINING when I was...10? 11...?, and the film was such a letdown when I saw it on TV. Shelly Duvall and that kid are as annoying as fuck, Nicholson is weird from the get-go, so he has no character arc, he just goes from creepy and strange to homicidal in a flash, there's no closure at the end, there are no characters to empathize with, except Scatman Crothers, who basically travels across the country to die like a bitch....Kubrick makes nice-looking films, but they're all ice-cold and devoid of human emotion. (Ducks and runs away.)
              You’re not alone. I’m not a fan of the movie either. I’ve planned to revisit it—maybe double-feature it with Flanagan’s Doctor Sleep—but keep putting it off. Kubrick is a masterful director but, as you said, very cold and clinical. Similar to Cronenberg in that way, but I find Cronenberg’s ideas so much more interesting. It’s this detachment that makes it hard to invest in The Shining, where as, conversely, the humanistic approach is what makes Darabont’s adaptations so successful, in my opinion. Even as bleak as The Mist ultimately becomes, it’s rooted in humanity. That’s what makes King’s work so accessible to readers and the one thing that Hollywood tends to miss.

Comment

I like the Mist, despite it's wild departure from the book. Lots of underlying themes.

Comment

Agree on all points. I can't separate the movie from the book like some can. I feel for the folks that think the movie is what The Shining is if they've never read the book. Plus, the movie is just boring.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  I like the Mist, despite it's wild departure from the book. Lots of underlying themes.
                  Enjoyed the movie but the mini-series sure did suck.

Comment

I do enjoy the movie but understand the arguments against it. In the end you are getting a Kubrick movie and they have a specific tone. I am a bit puzzled by Mr. Kings reaction. He generally encourages movie makers to impart their vision into a story rather than just presenting his. Yet with this book he appears to take particular enjoyment out of pointing out that he did not like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I do enjoy the movie but understand the arguments against it. In the end you are getting a Kubrick movie and they have a specific tone. I am a bit puzzled by Mr. Kings reaction. He generally encourages movie makers to impart their vision into a story rather than just presenting his. Yet with this book he appears to take particular enjoyment out of pointing out that he did not like this one.
                      I wonder if that's because it was so early in King's career, and The Shining was probably his first experience with a Director being less than reverential with the source material...?

Comment

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Kubrick films.

Comment

I wonder if that's because it was so early in King's career, and The Shining was probably his first experience with a Director being less than reverential with the source material...?
                          If he had reacted that way then but moderated his opinions over the years that would make sense. The fact that he has held strong to his views on this makes me beslive there is something behind that we do not know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                            I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Kubrick films.
                            Much of his work holds no interest for me (2001, Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange.) The movies I like (The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut) still have some strangeness that just does not work for me.

Comment

If he had reacted that way then but moderated his opinions over the years that would make sense. The fact that he has held strong to his views on this makes me believe there is something behind that we do not know about.
                              Yeah, I put that off to a lingering resentment about his first brush with Hollywood not giving a fuck about his opinion. After The Shining, he maybe mentally distanced himself from film adaptations. "As God is my witness, I'll never let them hurt me that way again!"

Comment

Working...
                              X