PDA

View Full Version : Question You Would Ask Stephen King

lilbirdy
06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
If you could ask Stephen King a question, what would it be?

For me, I would ask him about the Paul Bunyan statue that is featured in both "It" and "Insomnia". In "It" the statue is evenly loved and hated by the population of Derry. When we come back to Derry, five years later, in "Insomnia", the statue has been replaced. With all the drastic repairs that had to have been made to Derry, why would the citizens allocate the funds for a new statue that quickly?

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Man, that is so tough. I was going to see him in MN but missed it. I'd probably ask something about the Dark Tower, or maybe books that I've heard are rumored to be in the works, like the third book in the Talisman/Black House series.

AJ Brown
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I would ask why he didn't write an actual book for Storm of the Century, instead of a moviec script. I loved the movie and wanted to read the book. then I found out that the book was nothing more than a script, so I couldn't get that great character build up and scenery set up that he is known for.

C.W. LaSart
06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Man, that is so tough. I was going to see him in MN but missed it. I'd probably ask something about the Dark Tower, or maybe books that I've heard are rumored to be in the works, like the third book in the Talisman/Black House series.

Would that have been in St. Paul for Under the Dome? I went to that-was one of the coolest things I've ever done!

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Would that have been in St. Paul for Under the Dome? I went to that-was one of the coolest things I've ever done!

YEP. Should have made the trek up from Chicago. Stupid of me to pass.

Nik Houser
06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I went to see him at City Arts & Lectures in San Francisco and got to ask him my number one question: do you have posture problems or aches from writing? Because I sure do. He laughed and told a great story: When he first published Salem's Lot, he sent a copy to his idol, Richard Matheson. Much to King's surprise, Matheson wrote back. Not only that, but he had some advice for King. Advice from Olympus! From the gods themselves! What could it possibly be? A single sentence: "Get a music stand." That way, King would have something to prop his manuscript on when he was working on corrections and typing them into a new draft. It was really sound advice to prop up the pages, for him and for me. He also laughed, said it was a great question, and that nobody ever asked about the mechanics. (This last part was bragging, sorry, but I had to throw it in, because it was such a treat to hear).

If I had a second question, I'd ask if the event in The Mist was what caused all the crazy monsters in the Dark Tower Wastelands. He's never said The Mist is connected to DT, but I think it would add up nicely.

misery chastain loves co.
06-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Being a displaced Mainer at the moment, I lived close to Bangor. Have seen that Paul Bunyan statue many a time! lol.It's also fun when reading a book such as IT(my personal fave)and be able to see the Bangor landmarks he talks about(such as the water tower) Have also seen the man himself a few times. It's not unusual to see him in the Bangor Mall or driving around town, not to mention driving by his house on West Broadway. For locals it's the norm and we leave him alone. and no,unless things have changed which I dont think they have, he does not do autographs if you just approach him and ask. But if you see him and say hey that's different. He will chat with you for a bit. Luckily my mother dated a good friend of his so I got my Tommyknockers personally signed waaaay back in '88! I know this is a rather long winded answer to this question, but I am feeling nostalgic and now, a little homesick! lol. I haven't actually met him myself, just seen him around town. Honestly, I would probably talk to him more about Maine, the mutual friend he had with my mom, and the Red Sox!!

C.W. LaSart
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
YEP. Should have made the trek up from Chicago. Stupid of me to pass.

Small world! It was a very limited thing-only about 1K I believe-just think, we could've been sitting in the same theatre! I'm often astonished at the links you can find with people! It was a great show, but that Audrey Niffeneger (sp?) that spoke with him was a very unpleasant person.

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Small world indeed. I keep hearing these things about Audrey. I know she's a bit eclectic, by why do you say she was unpleasant? She's here in Chicago. Don't know her, nor have I worked with her.

ozmosis7
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Excuse me sir, could you sign this piece of paper? Never mind the fact that it is a check and has all those digits. :P

C.W. LaSart
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Small world indeed. I keep hearing these things about Audrey. I know she's a bit eclectic, by why do you say she was unpleasant? She's here in Chicago. Don't know her, nor have I worked with her.

Just came across as very uppity and not at all personable-snobbish. She had attitude when she answered questions and said I write for myself, I don't care what my fans think. Even King gave her a sideways glance a time or two when she was talking. She also spoke in a weird British accent only half the time. She just didn't impress me much. I got the impression she knew everyone was there to see King and she was pissed about it.

C.W. LaSart
06-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Of course she could be a lovely person in her private life, but she came across as superior and haughty. Maybe she's a real gem when she's not in the spotlight. Who knows.

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 10:57 PM
ha...i can just picture Steve turning his head, mumbling to himself - although i always liked him with the beard better, he looked more insane - or this one

http://www.jesse-pearson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/king.jpg

ozmosis7
06-11-2011, 11:01 PM
That is a great picture.

Nik Houser
06-11-2011, 11:30 PM
The mustache and uni-brow are clearly engaged in some kind of cold war stand-off.

frik51
06-12-2011, 03:56 AM
I was one of the lucky ones to see King in NYC, at the Radio City Music Hall Harry, Carrie and Garp benefit, a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky few selected to ask him a question. Salman Rushdie was, though. Or actually, his small son he had with him.
To tell the truth, I hadn't prepared any questions, so maybe I was lucky not having been selected.

sk

pixie
06-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I would ask him if The Low Men In Yellow Coats were real? I would ask him to tell me everything he knew about The Low Men.

Kenton
06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd like to know if Fritzy the feline in "Big Driver" is so named in honor of Fritz Leiber!

RJHubbard53
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I would ask him if The Low Men In Yellow Coats were real? I would ask him to tell me everything he knew about The Low Men.

i've read a lot of King and over the years my "favorite" aspects of his work have changed. Currently, I would say that the Low Men are my current favorite of his. I too want to know more about them - I especially liked their appearance in UR, his eBook

njhorror
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I was one of the lucky ones to see King in NYC, at the Radio City Music Hall Harry, Carrie and Garp benefit, a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky few selected to ask him a question. Salman Rushdie was, though. Or actually, his small son he had with him.
To tell the truth, I hadn't prepared any questions, so maybe I was lucky not having been selected.

sk

I was there compliments of CD. It was a lot of fun.

I would ask him for a job.

frik51
06-19-2011, 06:45 AM
I was there compliments of CD. It was a lot of fun.

That it was.
The moment King walked on-stage, the audience cheering and applauding...awesome.
Of course, seeing Annie Wilkes and Andy Dufresne in person was icing on the cake.

I got my ticket from George Beahm -through eBay- and met him briefly.
Very nice guy indeed.

sk

theenormityofitall
06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I'd probably ask if you're capable of writing in various genres like the incredibly underrated Richard Matheson is? LOL I know it sounds like I'm constantly down on King; I'm not, I just think he receives much more praise than he should and could never figure out why only his books are so "collectible". Maybe because of all the movies made from his books.

frik51
06-21-2011, 04:16 AM
I know it sounds like I'm constantly down on King; I'm not, I just think he receives much more praise than he should and could never figure out why only his books are so "collectible". Maybe because of all the movies made from his books.

Yes you are! Which you're entitled to, of course.

And no, King doesn't receive more praise than he deserves. He deserves every bit of it.

His movies have nothing to do why his books are so incredibly collectible.
His unique style, his voice, is the reason they are.

sk

Dan Hocker
06-21-2011, 04:49 AM
could never figure out why only his books are so "collectible"

I think it most likely has to due with his popularity most of all. He is a very popular author, which puts his books in higher demand, which makes him seem more collectible than other authors. He's also one of the few big name authors that even really do many signed limited. If you look at the authors on his scale in other genre's there just aren't signed limited. There are however 1st editions worth just as much as his. What makes an author collectible is the combination of popularity and rarity. King is one of the most popular author's published today, 1st editions of his early work are rare, and limited editions are rare by nature. Thus his work is "collectible". Or at least that is how I see it.

theenormityofitall
06-22-2011, 04:23 AM
But I think he's popular not because his books are so good...Matheson has written many better ones IMO....but because of the media and because his early books were all made into movies. Once they make an author's work into a movie, they become much more famous before the movies were made. I keep thinking of Matheson. He's written episodes for so many different TV series and series about so many different things, I just don't understand why he's not much better known. And there are some Matheson limiteds that were done; I have some..many published by Gauntlet Press and just look at how much I Am Legend is worth now and it's not even a first edition. I think I paid $65 for it way back in the 90's. How many TV series has King written for? Or even Dean Koontz. He seems to write basically the same book everytime but just gives it a new title, sorta like King did with some of his novels like Gerald's Game.
Anyway, what I do like about King is how he makes characters who "speak" of brand name things and just like a common guy would sound.

Dan Hocker
06-22-2011, 04:53 AM
How many TV series has King written for? Or even Dean Koontz.

Not really a good example.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000175/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0465588/

Koontz doesn't really have a lot, but King does. But really what it comes down to is personal prefrance. You say Matheson is a better writer than King, but that's your opinion, many others probably think the opposite. I really don't think it has anything to do with the movies tbh. As far as writing the same books over again, that's every author who has published as many books as King. I can't think of anyone who you can't really say that about.

Nik Houser
06-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I think he sells because A: his early work was pretty damn great and earned him a reputation for being so. And more importantly B: his books have all the ingredients a bestseller needs. He's got the compelling idea (though how compelling certainly varies from book to book) combined with a VERY likeable narrative voice. And that voice, while seemingly no-frills and simple, has been imitated but not duplicated. I've read Matheson, and he's brilliant, but his books don't go down as easily as King's do because his voice is more challenging. Which isn't a bad thing. Unless you want to sell 10,000,000 copies. God, look at Dan Brown. Compelling idea, combined with a 3rd grade reading level. I can't stand the guy's style. King's way better than him, but still manages to be readable in a way that makes you want to keep reading. Matheson is great, but he doesn't make you feel at home in a book the way King can. King can make you feel like you're reading in your favorite chair at home, even if you're in an airport terminal. Matheson doesn't. He's gripping, but I never forget that I'm READING when I'm in a Matheson story. Then again, that's just me. But I guarantee, his success is based on his writing first. The movies and his fiction's reputation and the rest is important, but secondary.

srboone
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
For me, it's the intimacy of King's voice that makes his works digesteable. He speaks in the voice of the common man; and the secret is that even if you are a successful, well-adjusted person or a 30-year-old man with Down's syndrome, the voice of your base primal fears are the same.

I'm three chapters into Watchers and I'm finding Koontz' prose cold and lifeless. You can have a great story, but if the writing doesn't grab people, people won't read it; Conversely, you can have a weak, unoriginal story (Dreamcatcher), but if you can present it to people with a warm and human voice, people might read it.

All my life I had heard the book Lotita by Nabokov: the story a pedophile awaiting execution who is writing his confession of how his love for a 13-year old girl lead him to murder. Huhhh??? why would I want to read that; the idea made me want to vomit. But after reading it, I realize that it is one of the most beautifully-written books ever published. Life's full of it's little mysteries.:confused:

What question would I ask of King? I'd probably be too awed by the presence of the man to bore him with something he'd been asked thousands of times before. I'd probably simply shake his hand and tearfully thank him for a lifetime of extraordinary reading experiences. :o

And maybe tell him not to disreagrd the original version of The Stand...:rolleyes:

Randy D. Rubin
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
First, I'd make him laugh. Then I'd smile and ask him if he wanted to read some of MY fresh story ideas, (which would probably make him laugh again.) And conclude with, "this way I could help you with your diminishing writing career and infuse some fresh ideas in your head, keeping you right on top where you belong." (at which point he would be rolling on the ground hysterically!) Then I'd ask him to get me Joe Hill's autograph. (At which point he'd pee his pants uncontrollably!) Then he'd be so embarrassed that he'd agree to come to my house and sign my whole King Library. Or maybe I'd stand there tongue-tied and awestruck too.

frik51
06-22-2011, 03:56 PM
For me, it's the intimacy of King's voice that makes his works digesteable. He speaks in the voice of the common man;

And that's the reason he is so incredibly popular.

sk

frik51
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
But I think he's popular not because his books are so good......but because of the media and because his early books were all made into movies. Once they make an author's work into a movie, they become much more famous before the movies were made.

The movies helped.
But they are not the key to King's popularity.
His books are.

I know it sounds like I'm constantly down on King; I'm not,

Of course not! ;)

sk

theenormityofitall
06-22-2011, 05:48 PM
lol but look at what the movie The Exorcist did for William Blatty. I had never heard of him before; once you see his name in the credits, you think to yourself, this guy wrote a book like this movie?? He must be a great author. But the book isn't really close to the movie at all, but it made Blatty a household name. Or the movie Jaws for Benchley.

theenormityofitall
06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Not really a good example.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000175/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0465588/

Koontz doesn't really have a lot, but King does. But really what it comes down to is personal prefrance. You say Matheson is a better writer than King, but that's your opinion, many others probably think the opposite. I really don't think it has anything to do with the movies tbh. As far as writing the same books over again, that's every author who has published as many books as King. I can't think of anyone who you can't really say that about.

But those stories in the links you pasted are mainly horror, right? I didn't realize Matheson actually wrote a short story called "Duel" until I saw the movie (which was great btw). Then one night I'm watching episodes of the old TV series "Combat" with Vic Morrow, and actually saw Matheson's name on the credits; he wrote the story. I was amazed because I considered him a horror writer...I didn't think he could go from that genre, and then actually write episodes about a group of WW2 soldiers. He wrote for The "Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery" too, didn't he? At any rate, I do think Matheson is a more talented writer than King, but King has also written some fantastic books (yes, I'm praising Stephen King!!).

frik51
06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
I couldn't think of one movie that did for King what The Exorcist did for William Blatty.
Maybe one: Carrie. And that's going back some 35 years.
Most of the King adaptations didn't translate into a huge box office, nor critical successes. Those that did, most people don't even know were penned by King, like Shawshank and The Green Mile.
No, it's rather the opposite. King's movie adaptations turned many people away from his books. I mean, most were pretty lousy. Many people wouldn't touch a King book because of these crappy movies. Bad movie, bad author. right?

Wrong.

And I really like Richard Matheson. I think he's a great writer.
But could you mention some books of his you think arer better than the best of King?
I'm really curious about this.

sk

Slee1978
06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd ask King which movie of his he enjoyed acting in the most.

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I couldn't think of one movie that did for King what The Exorcist did for William Blatty.
Maybe one: Carrie. And that's going back some 35 years.
Most of the King adaptations didn't translate into a huge box office, nor critical successes. Those that did, most people don't even know were penned by King, like Shawshank and The Green Mile.
No, it's rather the opposite. King's movie adaptations turned many people away from his books. I mean, most were pretty lousy. Many people wouldn't touch a King book because of these crappy movies. Bad movie, bad author. right?

Wrong.

And I really like Richard Matheson. I think he's a great writer.
But could you mention some books of his you think arer better than the best of King?
I'm really curious about this.

sk

I Am Legend surpasses anything ever written by King, and I think The Incredible Shrinking Man and Hell House are also some of his best stuff. Somewhere in Time was good too. But some guys get bigger breaks than others and I think Matheson concentrated more on scripts than novels. King is always writing stories and seems to never end, the result being that so many of his books are below average, to say the least (he's like Koontz in that department). It's also pretty well known that a lot of his early works were taken from semi-rare horror flicks. Even the book I liked the best...Pet Semetary...was taken from the movie Dead and Buried (I've been a big collector of horror films on VHS and DVD for a very long time). I'd bet anything on that; King just did a lil re-arranging with his book. And yes, the movies based on King's work were already known to the public. I would think a lot of them did poorly simply because the 80's were a time that renting videos was sot of "invented" because of the growing popularity of VCRs. A lot of people just waited until the film came out on video.

RJK1981
06-23-2011, 01:39 AM
I still have to read I Am Legend (been on my TBR list since I found a copy for $1 at Half-Price books) and Hell House, and have heard they are good, but saying I am Legend it is better than King's best is all a matter of opinion. I'm sure plenty of people would agree with you, and plenty would disagree as well. I haven't read anything from Matheson yet, so can't say if he's better or not myself.

Parts of Pet Semetary were actually based on real life for King, including the very close and busy road with tankers often passing by and a near accident involving his son at a very young age, as well as an actual pet cemetery nearby with a sign that had cemetery misspelled. That and more is in his introduction to the book (at least in the pb version I have). You say it's pretty well known he got his early books from rare movies, but I've never read that anywhere myself.

As for the movies based off King's work, a lot of them were very poorly done, so I don't think the movie's have anything to do with his popularity as an author. More that his books do so well people want to make them into movies. You bring up Blatty's name, but in all honestly what is he well known for other than The Exorcist? Elsewhere was a very good story, but other than that and the Exorcist novels I am unaware of anything else he's done in the genre. He has written other books, but they are not the kind of bestsellers that The Exorcist was. Blatty may have been a household name for a while, but not so much today as far as I know. Benchley also didn't have nearly the same success following Jaws, unlike King, who has had success after success. While I don't feel every King book is a masterpiece he is still a reliable author.

Nik Houser
06-23-2011, 02:27 AM
I Am Legend surpasses anything ever written by King

Well, to be fair, that's coming from your subjective standpoint. As for my own subjective opinion, I think I AM LEGEND is brilliant, but (for my money) flawed by a weak story structure. There are elements that I think are up there with the best of King (what comes to mind first and foremost is the vampires calling to him from outside the house), but story structure is incredibly important to me. Which isn't to say King's story structure is perfect, either. Hell House was fun, and the story structure was more solid, I felt, but I didn't really care for the characters as much as I do for some of King's. They were interesting, but felt less real to me, which meant I cared less for what happened to them. Hell House felt more like a really good set piece than a story.

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but I was asked what novels I thought were better than King's, so I listed a few. I did forget to say I thought Misery was excellent (WAY better than the movie which is saying something since the movie was pretty good) as was The Dark Half. But I only mentioned Blatty because of what the movie did for his career...it made him famous, when I think before it ever came out, Blatty was not well known at all. I never thought he was equal to King nor was Benchley. It's hard for me to actually get into novels because I keep telling myself: "This is not real, so why am I reading it?"...but a movie is different of course, because it's visual. 99% of the books I read are non-fiction and have said before on this forum that I've never even read any of the Dark Tower books, I was just lucky and I had the opportunity to buy the last three as limited editions, along with LSOE and others. It's mainly all about collecting for me. Anyway, I never thought King was a bad author; he's written some great books, I just think he's overrated, that's all.

fmancino
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I heard Doctor Sleep is going to be a sequel for the Talisman/Black House series; then again I may be wrong.

frik51
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I heard Doctor Sleep is going to be a sequel for the Talisman/Black House series

No, it'll be the sequel to The Shining.

sk

frik51
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but I was asked what novels I thought were better than King's, so I listed a few. I did forget to say I thought Misery was excellent (WAY better than the movie which is saying something since the movie was pretty good) I've never even read any of the Dark Tower books, I was just lucky and I had the opportunity to buy the last three as limited editions, along with LSOE and others. It's mainly all about collecting for me. Anyway, I never thought King was a bad author; he's written some great books, I just think he's overrated, that's all.

Just being curious, but which (other) books by King did you actually read?

sk

Nik Houser
06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but I was asked what novels I thought were better than King's, so I listed a few. I did forget to say I thought Misery was excellent (WAY better than the movie which is saying something since the movie was pretty good) as was The Dark Half. But I only mentioned Blatty because of what the movie did for his career...it made him famous, when I think before it ever came out, Blatty was not well known at all. I never thought he was equal to King nor was Benchley. It's hard for me to actually get into novels because I keep telling myself: "This is not real, so why am I reading it?"...but a movie is different of course, because it's visual. 99% of the books I read are non-fiction and have said before on this forum that I've never even read any of the Dark Tower books, I was just lucky and I had the opportunity to buy the last three as limited editions, along with LSOE and others. It's mainly all about collecting for me. Anyway, I never thought King was a bad author; he's written some great books, I just think he's overrated, that's all.

You know, I never saw Misery, but need to. I think the novel, which I read Freshman year in high school, was the first one I picked up one morning (sick from school), and didn't put down until it was done.

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Just being curious, but which (other) books by King did you actually read?

sk
I've read all of them!
But there's many sort stories he's written I've never read before.
Actually, now that I keep thinking of it, I don't remember reading The Tommyknockers.

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
You know, I never saw Misery, but need to. I think the novel, which I read Freshman year in high school, was the first one I picked up one morning (sick from school), and didn't put down until it was done.
Yeah, it was one of my faves. You know it must be good if even I liked it lol.

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
We've really strayed off topic here, huh? Another question I'd ask Mr. King is why is your son named Joe Hill? I used to be an expert in this kinda stuff (King, collecting signed horror novels, etc, etc), but over the past few years, I've been more interested in other things and have forgotten some things and don't keep up with new horror novels like I used to (can't afford it all anymore).
I've been so far removed from a lot of this stuff, I had no clue Joe Hill was actually King's son until about a month ago (don't laugh).

frik51
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not Mr. King, but somewhere I've read Joe wants to make it on his own terms, not ride the coattails of dad King.
Joe King would have been too easy.

sk

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah. And I knew I had forgotten to list some books by King I never read...The Dark Tower ones.
Are Joe's books any good? Most people will know if they follow Stephen King's career like I used to, that Joe Hill has to be King's son and will automatically buy any books written by him. If you've read any, what one would you suggest?

frik51
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Most people I know really like his stuff.
I've only read the first two Locke & key comic collections, which are written by Hill.
The third is waiting to be read.
Excellent and highly recommended!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s9XRv7ouwOM/TKWGLMPPw_I/AAAAAAAAADo/ZNFC_3QWqcA/s1600/wtlovecraft.jpg http://joehillfiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/head-games-cvr.jpg

theenormityofitall
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Ok, thanks. I did actually buy the Kodiak Varient ed. not long ago but it's not here yet. Locke & Key? I'll have to wait til my paycheck gets here lol. I've bought too much stuff recently, and the limited of IT really set me back.

PaulB
06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah. And I knew I had forgotten to list some books by King I never read...The Dark Tower ones.
Are Joe's books any good? Most people will know if they follow Stephen King's career like I used to, that Joe Hill has to be King's son and will automatically buy any books written by him. If you've read any, what one would you suggest?

As others have suggested the Locke and Key series is excellent. Highly recommend his short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts. Of his 2 novels I preferred his first, Heart shaped box.

peteOcha
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
We've really strayed off topic here, huh? Another question I'd ask Mr. King is why is your son named Joe Hill? I used to be an expert in this kinda stuff (King, collecting signed horror novels, etc, etc), but over the past few years, I've been more interested in other things and have forgotten some things and don't keep up with new horror novels like I used to (can't afford it all anymore).
I've been so far removed from a lot of this stuff, I had no clue Joe Hill was actually King's son until about a month ago (don't laugh).

Joe Hillstrom King, went with Joe Hill so he wouldn't ride on his father's success. He was named Joe Hillstrom after this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill

miki74
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
First, I'd make him laugh. Then I'd smile and ask him if he wanted to read some of MY fresh story ideas, (which would probably make him laugh again.) And conclude with, "this way I could help you with your diminishing writing career and infuse some fresh ideas in your head, keeping you right on top where you belong." (at which point he would be rolling on the ground hysterically!) Then I'd ask him to get me Joe Hill's autograph. (At which point he'd pee his pants uncontrollably!) Then he'd be so embarrassed that he'd agree to come to my house and sign my whole King Library. Or maybe I'd stand there tongue-tied and awestruck too.

That's funny! lol

theenormityofitall
06-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Joe Hillstrom King, went with Joe Hill so he wouldn't ride on his father's success. He was named Joe Hillstrom after this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill

Yeah, I know he didn't want to ride on his old man's coattails...that was meant to be funny. I have a habit sometimes of trying to sound serious, stupid and funny at the same time. But only people who know me sometimes catch me doing it lol.
My God, a socialist??? That's odd. I wondered if Mr. Hill has spread his wealth to the down and out from all the millions he must of made already? I really never understood why these so-called "movie stars", authors, etc travel to a bunch of commie countries and say how wonderful it is and we should be the same, etc, etc. Why the hell are they still living here if they think it's so great? I guess they just have mental problems. But if he took his name after that guy, I sure won't be buying anymore of his stuff.

theenormityofitall
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I know he didn't want to ride on his old man's coattails...that was meant to be funny. I have a habit sometimes of trying to sound serious, stupid and funny at the same time. But only people who know me sometimes catch me doing it lol.
My God, a socialist??? That's odd. I wondered if Mr. Hill has spread his wealth to the down and out from all the millions he must of made already? I really never understood why these so-called "movie stars", authors, etc travel to a bunch of commie countries and say how wonderful it is and we should be the same, etc, etc. Why the hell are they still living here if they think it's so great? I guess they just have mental problems. But if he took his name after that guy, I sure won't be buying anymore of his stuff.

I just read the message again...you mean King himself named his kid that? After that guy? I know King was a leftist back in the day, but I saw in interviews and you can tell sometimes by what he writes, his political philosphy has changed. At least I hope it has. I knew he had kids, but I'm not enough of a King fanatic to know why he named his kids after this guy or this dude or whatever. And by "fanatic", I don't mean that in a bad way. People who are really interested in someone want to know everything about them; it's just natural. I can't think of a person I'm fanatical about, but I am fanatical about boxing, football and hockey playoffs:D

frik51
06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
And by "fanatic", I don't mean that in a bad way. People who are really interested in someone want to know everything about them; it's just natural. I can't think of a person I'm fanatical about,

I'm fanatic about King's works, not about the person. Although..I did fly to NYC once to see and hear him in person. That's pretty fanatical I guess.

But if he took his name after that guy, I sure won't be buying anymore of his stuff.

Honestly??? That is so American! (Not meant insultingly, as I love your country!!).

sk

And yes, King did call his son Joe Hill...sort of..... Joe(seph) Hill(strom) King.
No link to this other guy, obviously.
(but does anyone really care?)

Nik Houser
06-26-2011, 04:31 AM
My understanding is that Joe Hill's secret identity as Stephen King's son was the worst kept secret in fiction. He tried to conceal it, but people kept figuring it out. He is a heckuva guy, very personable and way cool. I want to check out his panel again at Comic-Con, as this year they're going to be showing the pilot for Locke & Key, even though it hasn't get picked up by a network yet.

theenormityofitall
06-26-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm fanatic about King's works, not about the person. Although..I did fly to NYC once to see and hear him in person. That's pretty fanatical I guess.

Honestly??? That is so American! (Not meant insultingly, as I love your country!!).

sk

And yes, King did call his son Joe Hill...sort of..... Joe(seph) Hill(strom) King.

You and I keep seeming to quote each other quite a bit lol.
There's nothing wrong with being a fanatic about King's work. I was too for a long time...I mean I got caught up in the hype when he was really popular 20 years ago. But nowadays I'm not fanatical about anything except the sports I listed. Well honestly, just reading posts on this forum makes me want to pick up a King book lol. It really does. I remember saying on here that I thought IT was one of King's worst works, and then CD comes out with a limited edition of it. Maybe I'm confusing it with the movie I saw...I've seen tons of horror films but can't really remember a lot of the titles anymore (off the top of my lil head).

Oh, and about the "That is so American!" stuff...no worries. I know you're living in a socialist state so that's what you're supposed to say (that's not an insult!). Hell, we're just about one here too now as well so I guess it's no big deal. I'm not one but the government is making us one, is what I mean.

theenormityofitall
06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
My understanding is that Joe Hill's secret identity as Stephen King's son was the worst kept secret in fiction. He tried to conceal it, but people kept figuring it out. He is a heckuva guy, very personable and way cool. I want to check out his panel again at Comic-Con, as this year they're going to be showing the pilot for Locke & Key, even though it hasn't get picked up by a network yet.

Yeah, there's no way they could keep a secret like that nowadays. Even years ago, people figured out who "Richard Bachman" was, and that was when no one ever heard of something called the internet. But you actually know him? How old is he now?

C.W. LaSart
06-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I just read the message again...you mean King himself named his kid that? After that guy? I know King was a leftist back in the day, but I saw in interviews and you can tell sometimes by what he writes, his political philosphy has changed. At least I hope it has. I knew he had kids, but I'm not enough of a King fanatic to know why he named his kids after this guy or this dude or whatever. And by "fanatic", I don't mean that in a bad way. People who are really interested in someone want to know everything about them; it's just natural. I can't think of a person I'm fanatical about, but I am fanatical about boxing, football and hockey playoffs:DHaving seen King speak a couple of years ago, I can assure you his political and religious views have not changed one bit. Even when discussing his book, he found every chance to bash the conservatives that he could. It was the only downfall to an otherwise perfect evening. I'm not interested in a writer's political views-just tell me a story!

frik51
06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
I know you're living in a socialist state so that's what you're supposed to say

The Netherlands a socialist state?
I guess Rush Limbaugh would agree - I don't.
Regardless, not reading King any longer because he named his son after some Swedish socialist (which he didn't) ....come on.
This reminds me of another American icon, Barbra Streisand.
I love her voice, her music, but I'm always amazed at the strong negative (American) reactions she receives - many people refusing to buy her CDs, or watch her movies, just because of her political point(s) of view.

I just don't get that.

sk

RJHubbard53
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, king is still a lefty politically. I certainly don't agree with his viewed but I still like and enjoy his work. My god, if I boycotted each person with whom I disagree, I would save a lot of money!

frik51
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM

I think I was wrong.
It seems King did name his son after this Swedish guy.

Oh well, why not?

sk

Slee1978
06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I try not to think about his politics while enjoying his books.

C.W. LaSart
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I try not to think about his politics while enjoying his books.

It is getting hard to do-I am starting to notice more propaganda thinly hidden in them, but I love him, I can get over it!

srboone
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I know what you mean.

I love movies. Good, bad, old, new, foreign, domestic. I can walk a way from a movie theater thinking "that movie sucked", but I love going to see it. But I think of movie stars as children: they should be seen and not heard. I don't care what they think. Just keep making movies.

I look at writers the same way. Just keep writing. Don't bore me with your thoughts on green toilet paper or union busting. If you must, write a non-fiction book about those subjects and maybe I'll read it.

jester05jk
06-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah, king is still a lefty politically. I certainly don't agree with his viewed but I still like and enjoy his work. My god, if I boycotted each person with whom I disagree, I would save a lot of money!

Wouldn't we all?

I know what you mean.

I love movies. Good, bad, old, new, foreign, domestic. I can walk a way from a movie theater thinking "that movie sucked", but I love going to see it. But I think of movie stars as children: they should be seen and not heard. I don't care what they think. Just keep making movies.

I look at writers the same way. Just keep writing. Don't bore me with your thoughts on green toilet paper or union busting. If you must, write a non-fiction book about those subjects and maybe I'll read it.

And in that regards, who cares if a famous person got a DUI or caught shoplifting. It isn't news worthy if I did something stupid, why is it when they do. You could be the biggest asshole in the world but if you tell a good tale then I'll keep coming back.

C.W. LaSart
06-28-2011, 02:44 AM
I know what you mean.

Exactly! Just because you're famous doesn't mean your opinion holds more weight! Do what you do.

frik51
06-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Exactly! Just because you're famous doesn't mean your opinion holds more weight! Do what you do.

Nor any less.
Why should any ordinary guy be allowed to express his views, and someone famous not?
A writer should keep on writing. Of course, but how can a writer not express who he is in his writing.
His thoughts are his writing.
Like that quote from The Way We Were:

People are their principles.

sk

srboone
06-28-2011, 04:33 AM
And in that regards, who cares if a famous person got a DUI or caught shoplifting. It isn't news worthy if I did something stupid, why is it when they do. You could be the biggest asshole in the world but if you tell a good tale then I'll keep coming back.

True enough; but I did care about Keifer Sutherland going to jail on a DUI because it messed with "24".

A writer should keep on writing. Of course, but how can a writer not express who he is in his writing.
His thoughts are his writing.
sk

You're right, of course, frik, but what is offensive to people is the preachiness of some celebrities.

frik51
06-28-2011, 03:17 PM
You're right, of course, frik, but what is offensive to people is the preachiness of some celebrities.

Would you feel the same if you agreed with the sentiments expressed?
When does expressing an opinion turn into preachiness?

Streisand added a George W.W. bush skit to her latest 2006/2007 concert tour.
It was not mean, nor offensive (I thought) - she was just poking fun at his politics.
I was there in Las Vegas, and some (Republican) audience members were not pleased: Sing Barbra, sing!
Why? It's her show. if she wants to make a point during her own show, why not? Just because she's a singer she should just shut up and sing?
Like entertainers are not allowed to have -and express- their opinion?

Ehm...we sure have lost track of this thread, haven't we.
Asking King a question...

Now let me think.....Mr. King, what in the world possessed you naming your son after this left-wing Swedish socialist?
Don't you realize this will/has cost you millions of readers??
sk

RJK1981
06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Now let me think.....Mr. King, what in the world possessed you naming your son after this left-wing Swedish socialist?
Don't you realize this will/has cost you millions of readers??sk

sk

I'm curious where you get the millions of readers comment? Before this thread I had no idea his son was named after anyone at all, and now that I do know, well, who gives a damn? I'm not saying I like that he did that, just that I really couldn't care less about it, and no one should really. Maybe if he named his son after a serial killer or someone like Hitler, but why care if he named his son after someone who's politics is different than your own?

As for a question, I really don't know what I'd ask him, maybe for an autograph that I might not get (depends if I'm at a signing event or not really)

frik51
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm curious where you get the millions of readers comment? Before this thread I had no idea his son was named after anyone at all, and now that I do know, well, who gives a damn? I'm not saying I like that he did that, just that I really couldn't care less about it, and no one should really. Maybe if he named his son after a serial killer or someone like Hitler, but why care if he named his son after someone who's politics is different than your own?

Maybe you missed the discussion leading up to this post?
It was very tongue-in-cheek....

sk

RJK1981
06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I must have missed (or rather, forgot) that part, lol, sorry

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Having seen King speak a couple of years ago, I can assure you his political and religious views have not changed one bit. Even when discussing his book, he found every chance to bash the conservatives that he could. It was the only downfall to an otherwise perfect evening. I'm not interested in a writer's political views-just tell me a story!
Truly unfortunate. I thought he said in an interview his views had changed since he's grown up. I think it was on 60 Minutes many years ago. And there was some controversy not too long ago about King making comments about the Iraqi war I think it was, and it had something to do with him bashing veterans and people were calling him a traitor on his forum and I remembered thinking "Damn, he really is a traitor". Granted, I can't remember exactly what was said but I know it had to do with veterans and the military. I don't know why leftists have to constantly shout about this and that and not just shut up and write or sing. People go to concerts because they like the music of a particular artist, not to hear preaching. And not to hear hypocrisy either. And my God, if you dare disagree with them, you're called every name in the book. And I thought liberals were so tolerant??? Only tolerant of people who have the same nonsensical views as theirselves.

frik51
06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
And there was some controversy not too long ago about King making comments about the Iraqi war I think it was, and it had something to do with him bashing veterans and people were calling him a traitor on his forum and I remembered thinking "Damn, he really is a traitor".

And my God, if you dare disagree with them, you're called every name in the book. And I thought liberals were so tolerant??? Only tolerant of people who have the same nonsensical views as theirselves.

:confused:

sk

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
The Netherlands a socialist state?
I guess Rush Limbaugh would agree - I don't.
Regardless, not reading King any longer because he named his son after some Swedish socialist (which he didn't) ....come on.
This reminds me of another American icon, Barbra Streisand.
I love her voice, her music, but I'm always amazed at the strong negative (American) reactions she receives - many people refusing to buy her CDs, or watch her movies, just because of her political point(s) of view.

I just don't get that.

sk

It's not a socialist state? Every country in Europe is (and Canada over here). Sorta one of those weird states that is socialist but also has a form of capitalism at the same time. Like the USA is becoming actually. I don't listen to Limbaugh much since he's basically a spokesmouth for the Republican Party...I'm an independent nowadays. A conservative, but still an independent one. There are no parties in this country that represent me and millions of other Americans anymore.
You honestly don't understand why people don't want to buy CDs or whatever from Streisand? It's because they want to listen to music and not preaching crap. They also don't like hearing their own country constantly being bashed knowing these people wouldn't have all their millions if they weren't living in this country they hate so much. Absurd hypocrisy and they're too dull in the mind to even realize how stupid they sound. Obama is starting wars all over the place and you don't hear a peep out of these people, the same people who were constantly bashing Bush over the Iraqi war and on "peace marches" virtually every day (and I was never a big fan of Bush by the way).

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I know what you mean.

I couldn't agree more!!

theenormityofitall
06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
:confused:

sk

You honestly don't know what I was referring too? The King expert? LOL.

frik51
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
You honestly don't know what I was referring too? The King expert? LOL.

No, I was actually referring to you.

And there was some controversy not too long ago about King making comments about the Iraqi war I think it was, and it had something to do with him bashing veterans and people were calling him a traitor on his forum and I remembered thinking "Damn, he really is a traitor".

And my God, if you dare disagree with them, you're called every name in the book.

sk

frik51
06-29-2011, 07:35 PM
It's not a socialist state? Every country in Europe is (and Canada over here).

I'd love to hear your definition of a socialist state.

sk

RJK1981
06-29-2011, 07:41 PM
And I thought liberals were so tolerant??? Only tolerant of people who have the same nonsensical views as theirselves.

That goes for both sides actually

C.W. LaSart
07-01-2011, 03:54 AM
This got ugly pretty quick, now didn't it. I believe that in the forum rules we are cautioned against political discussions. There is a difference between discussing the fact that King named his son after a certain socialist (I found it informative and I'm not bothered by it), and actually arguing about politics. Though I am annoyed when what I view as someone shoving something down my throat, occurs in their body of work, I am not against them having their opinions. When it has no basis in the story and does nothing to enhance the narrative, I begin to see it as propaganda rather than style. That said-I hope that this doesn't get any more heated. I would hate to see us all on double-super-secret probation!:eek:

frik51
07-01-2011, 04:57 AM
I hope that this doesn't get any more heated.

Mum's the word....

sk

C.W. LaSart
07-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Mum's the word....

sk:cool:

fmancino
07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I am going to Bangor this summer for an SK tour and I'm trying to meet Stephen, so if I get super lucky and I do meet him, I will try my BEST to remember and print out this page and ask him some questions. If anyone has any cool things to do in the Bangor area PM me!

theenormityofitall
07-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I'd love to hear your definition of a socialist state.

sk
My definition is a sate where free enterprise is either totally done away with, or allowed to exist in slight way, sorta like China has combined communism with capitalism. It's a state where someone who works his ass off and is considered in America to either be "rich" or "upper middle class", has most of his money stolen by the government to give to the so-called "poor" who do nothing but take and never give anything. It's also a state where private property is not permitted to exist (most of the time) and free speech, free press, etc are banned as in Canada, France, etc. Oh sure, they will allow some "free" speech, just as long as it supports the party line. No country is free when they can ban guns from private ownership, ban books, ban certain newspapers and ban movies. All countries in Europe do this as well as Canada. There's really not much difference in socialism/communism except socialists ususally don't murder millions of their own people.

theenormityofitall
07-01-2011, 11:49 PM
That goes for both sides actually

No, not really. I've never seen a conservative student at some university, try to attack a liberal speaker. You see the opposite on a regular basis. You don't see conservatives marching in the streets like you do the other side (conservatives have to work for a living so you don't see many of them marching anywhere) and shouting "fascists" at every opportunity even when they have no clue what the word really means. You also don't see conservatives shouting down the other side when they start spewing their hate. I've also never seen conservatives throwing rocks and bottles at the police and overturning cars, etc when something occurs they don't agree with like the "peaceful" liberals do. I could go on and on.

srboone
07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I would hate to see us all on double-super-secret probation!:eek:

Hopefully the Dean Wormers of the CD forums will let us off with a warning and give us all a second chance.;)