PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King books

fmancino
06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I have a Stephen King collection consisting of 36 books; I only read seven. I don't know which book to read next!

Here are the books that I am thinking about reading but I can't decide:

Insomnia
Under the Dome
Full Dark, No Stars
On Writing
IT

*I will post a picture of my collection and if there are any good books that'd you'd recommend please tell me!*

the_last_gunslinger
06-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Well, of those books, IT is by far the best. On Writing is quicker, but may not interest you if you are not an aspiring writer.

fmancino
06-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh, okay! Thanks! Was Insomnia or Under the Dome good, just curious...

RJK1981
06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I liked Under The Dome quite a bit myself, and Full Dark, No Stars was very good as well

Martin
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Insomnia is a very good book in my opinion but I have heard a lot of people that do not think so. Insomnia has a very long set up for the story but once I got into it I was unable to put it down. If you have some understanding of Greek mythology you will probably like the links to Clotho, Lagesis and Atropos as well. Of the books you listed the only one I would not read again is Under the Dome. I consider that one of Kings weaker books. My order for those books would be:
1. Insomnia
2. Full Dark, No Stars
3. IT
4. On Writing
5. Under the Dome

frik51
06-10-2011, 07:40 PM
You've got 29 books left, including the five you mentioned.
I would read these in chronological order, starting with whichever one comes first.
Carrie by any chance?

sk

peteOcha
06-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I wish i had 29 King books that I had never read before, just waiting for their first read....:) Oh well, i'll have to settle for the 10 or so I have left. Good thing 2 new ones are coming soon!

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 08:30 PM
This is probably sacrilegious in this community (especially seeing as I run this community). But I have never read a single King book, as I've said elsewhere horror has never really been my favorite reading choice. However I am about a quarter of the way through The Gunslinger.

cdfan
06-10-2011, 08:47 PM
This is probably sacrilegious in this community (especially seeing as I run this community). But I have never read a single King book, as I've said elsewhere horror has never really been my favorite reading choice. However I am about a quarter of the way through The Gunslinger.

That is funny but don't sweat it, at least you're giving him a try now. Have fun following the man in black.

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
That is funny but don't sweat it, at least you're giving him a try now. Have fun following the man in black.

Oh I most certainly will. The dark tower series is something I've always been meaning to read, as it's a fairly iconic fantasy series, and fantasy series are most certainly my thing.

fmancino
06-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I read Carrie, I am reading 'Salem's Lot, and read The Shining. Those were his first three books.

fmancino
06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I know there is one coming out in November and what is his other book? The IT anniversary edition?

fmancino
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
How did you find CD if you didn't like horror a lot? Is the Gunslinger swell?

cdfan
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
As for the main question in the thread I like Frik51's suggestion of going in order. Sometimes he may reference characters or events from earlier books, not in a way that really spoils anything, but it is nice to already have an understanding of things that already happened.

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
How did you find CD if you didn't like horror a lot? Is the Gunslinger swell?

It's a bit off topic, but both my sister and her husband work here. When I was in between some of my past jobs I would come down and work part time, then this last time around the part time work turned full time when someone else left the company.

fmancino
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
That's not a bad idea... but I already read Carrie and the Shining and now I'm reading 'Salem's Lot. Those are his first 3 books.

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
That's not a bad idea... but I already read Carrie and the Shining and now I'm reading 'Salem's Lot. Those are his first 3 books.

Then after that I would move onto his fourth book, not sure which that is off the top of my head though. As to your earlier question about The Gunslinger, it's been good so far, I'm not really far enough into though to give a fair assessment.

TerryE
06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I would definitley go with "It" next. It's not only the best of the bunch, but a summertime story, too. My favorites after that would be Full Dark, On Writing, Under the Dome, and Insomnia. I like frik's idea of reading them in order of publication. I've been reading them new, as they came out, since The Dead Zone arrived at the library. I had read the older books by then, and kept up ever since.

And Dan, you should be stoned to death as a BLASHPHEMER, even if you didn't say Jehovah. You have a lot of catching up to do.

fmancino
06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow! There are so many great ideas. I love the Chronological order idea but, I recently read The Shining and Carrie and now I'm reading 'Salem's Lot. So maybe I'll just continue after the Shining? I really need to know if Insomnia is good because I'm getting an equal share of hates and likes. I'm just so stuck because I wanna read Under the Dome, Insomnia, and It. But I might get the gift edition of IT so I think I'm going to wait to read IT. Any more advice?

peteOcha
06-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I know there is one coming out in November and what is his other book? The IT anniversary edition?

New Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole

fmancino
06-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah heard about that; releasing some time in 2012. SO, I need more advice? Read them in chronological order or not?

fmancino
06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Let me know if it's good when you're done ;)

fmancino
06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
It's not really off topic. Do you by any chance know how many copies are left for the IT anniversary gift edition?

TerryE
06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I really need to know if Insomnia is good because I'm getting an equal share of hates and likes. I'm just so stuck because I wanna read Under the Dome, Insomnia, and It. But I might get the gift edition of IT so I think I'm going to wait to read IT. Any more advice?

I wasn't a big fan of Insomnia, but even so I would wait. There are ties to the Dark Tower series and there are parts that will be more relevant after you've read through at least the 3rd Dark Tower book. It's not necessary to enjoy the story, but it helps.

And if I already have a copy of It, I wouldn't be reading my Cemetery Dance edition anyway.

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
It's not really off topic. Do you by any chance know how many copies are left for the IT anniversary gift edition?

Not sure how many are left. I would think it'll probably make it to July before being sold out, but you never know.

RJK1981
06-10-2011, 10:40 PM
And if I already have a copy of It, I wouldn't be reading my Cemetery Dance edition anyway.

I actually think I will reread It when I get the CD versions of it, just have to decide when version to read, lol. Probably will end up being the gift edition though. Maybe CD should make some bookmarks to send with these ;);)

fmancino
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Why?

fmancino
06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Would I have to read the Dark Tower series before reading Insomnia?

srboone
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I plan on rereading IT when the CD edition comes out. It's been 25 years, so why not? i just need to clear a week in my schedule to do so...

RJK1981
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Hasn't been nearly as long since I read IT, but it's still been a few years. I want to read it with the art inside, and of course the much better paper used for it, as I am sure it will make the experience even better (and because it is a great book). I also want to read King's new afterward. I am considering reading Full Dark, No Stars again since I didn't read the CD edition of it

frik51
06-11-2011, 04:21 AM
As for the main question in the thread I like Frik51's suggestion of going in order. Sometimes he may reference characters or events from earlier books, not in a way that really spoils anything, but it is nice to already have an understanding of things that already happened.

Yes, that's exactly the reason reading chronologically is practically a must.
Many of King's books are connected which you might miss if you read out of order.
I envy those who still have to read his books - you're in for an awesome journey!

sk

frik51
06-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Oh yeah heard about that; releasing some time in 2012. SO, I need more advice? Read them in chronological order or not?

Of course!
(best advice I can give you!)

sk

frik51
06-11-2011, 04:26 AM

You won't have to wonder about this any longer if you read the books in chronological order!
(Or did I mention this already?? :-)) )

sk

fmancino
06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
You won't have to wonder about this any longer if you read the books in chronological order!
(Or did I mention this already?? :-)) )

sk

Will do, thanks frik!!

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Fmancion, I'd either read It or go in chronological order - and Dan, wow, no King ever? That IS sacrilegious. You are now BANNED. I'm not a huge fan of gore horror, but I've read all of King's books. He's more of a great storyteller than a horror writer, IMO. The Stand is an epic road story, good vs. evil. I loved the Dark Tower series too, glad you're starting that. Many people struggle with The Gunslinger, but stick with it, the series is worth it. If you want more literary try Hearts in Atlantis.

frik51
06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of gore horror, but I've read all of King's books. He's more of a great storyteller than a horror writer, IMO.

True. King has never been a horror writer.
The horror elements found within his works are the tools, the means to an end.
For instance, Carrie isn't really about a girl with telekinetic powers. It's about adolescence, about not fitting in.
Also, King's range is simply too wide for him to be labelled a horror writer.

sk

Dan Hocker
06-11-2011, 03:33 PM
True. King has never been a horror writer.
The horror elements found within his works are the tools, the means to an end.
For instance, Carrie isn't really about a girl with telekinetic powers. It's about adolescence, about not fitting in.
Also, King's range is simply too wide for him to be labelled a horror writer.

sk

I'm not disagreeing there, it was just how he was labeled when I was younger, and that lead me to have no interest. I've never really liked horror / suspense / thirllers anything like that. It's something that I think is an acquired taste, and really only something I'm starting to be moderately interested in.

ozmosis7
06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I grew up watching late night shows like The Twilight Zone or One Step Beyond or Hitchcock. I have always likened King's stories to those types of shows, and I feel that is what horror is really about. Seeing someone hacked in two isn't scary--it's sickening. I think many people get that mixed up. Today's society does want a little more gore though it appears, and so I do put some in (little bits as I have my online serial if you want to take a gander), but I don't think I'll ever want to stray from the formula of what is really scary to myself. And I think that is largely why King is so successful.

frik51
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
King's voice is the reason for his success, I think. Regardless of the subject he writes about, it's always a huge pleasure to listen to him.

sk

AJ Brown
06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I would read It. I've read it six or seven times and it still hasn't gotten old.

fmancino
06-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Which novel?

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Which novel?

ha...i thought the same thing. he said It, which if you aren't paying attention, looks like it

fmancino
06-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Ha, okay thanks (:

lilbirdy
06-13-2011, 07:09 AM

I stupidly avoided reading the Dark Tower series for many, many years. I have since came to my senses and read the series and loved it. However, I did read Insomnia many years before I read the Dark Tower series. I don't feel as if it did me any harm. I really liked Insomnia, although many do not. But, from your list, I would suggest reading It. Not only is It my favorite Stephen King book, it is my favorite work of fiction, EVER!

Arkadia
06-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm not disagreeing there, it was just how he was labeled when I was younger, and that lead me to have no interest. I've never really liked horror / suspense / thirllers anything like that. It's something that I think is an acquired taste, and really only something I'm starting to be moderately interested in.

How interesting! I've always thought of an affection for horror being something you were just born with. Genetic disposition. That's how it was for me, anyway. When I was four years old my favorite movie was Child's Play, and I had a Chuckie doll I carried around with me everywhere (I would terrify my brother with it every chance I got). Most horror lovers I know are the same way, they were born with a taste for the macabre.

As for King:
The first King novel I read was Rose Madder when I was seven. It had a lot of eye-opening moments for someone my age. From the ages 5-6 I read Goosebumps books religiously; after Rose Madder I never touched one again. I was on 'adult books' now.

My favorite King novel is a tie between Lisey's Story and Misery. I loved the tenderness of Lisey's Story, and the lucid insights into the inner workings of a long-lasting love. The pet names and inside jokes and quiet understanding between Lisey and her husband made that book come alive for me like few ever have. Misery... I don't know exactly what it is I love about Misery, just that I do. I'm not sure if any book has made my heart beat like that one did - the ordeal of the main character trying to get out of his bedroom, the fear of him getting caught where he shouldn't be - oh yeah, I was squirming. The Shining and The Stand are also big favorites. My least favorite by him is probably Insomnia, although there are a few others I couldn't get into.

I love his short stories more than his novels though (and I guess that's saying something, because I squeal whenever he has a new novel out). He really is a master. There are too many incredible ones for me to list, but one that always sticks out in my mind as just a damn good story is The Raft (Skeleton Crew). I never really hear anyone mention that one and yet it's the one that's stuck with me most through the years. To write a short story as effective as that is my writing grail. I'm a simple girl. Another lesser-mentioned one is The Road Virus Heads North. The premise sounds lame but the way it was written really gave me the chills, and I really don't get creeped out by stories often at all.

I'd also like to mention I don't see anything wrong with children reading King books. I'm not sure what the issue is. The instances of sex/sexual abuse? Violence? Horror? Racism? I think King pretty clearly outlines that the characters in his stories who do 'bad things' are villains. I learned a lot from his stories growing up (for the better) and I look forward to my kids reading them too, if they enjoy horror. I do recall a moment that now makes me giggle, back when I was 8 and reading It for the first time. There's a part where a teen is either jerking off or being jerked off. I think King described it as a 'growing snake' or something similar, and I thought that the situation was indicating that the guy had magical powers, able to transform a snake into his pants. Ah, the days of innocence :)

srboone
06-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd also like to mention I don't see anything wrong with children reading King books. I'm not sure what the issue is. The instances of sex/sexual abuse? Violence? Horror? Racism? I think King pretty clearly outlines that the characters in his stories who do 'bad things' are villains. I learned a lot from his stories growing up (for the better) and I look forward to my kids reading them too, if they enjoy horror. I do recall a moment that now makes me giggle, back when I was 8 and reading It for the first time. There's a part where a teen is either jerking off or being jerked off. I think King described it as a 'growing snake' or something similar, and I thought that the situation was indicating that the guy had magical powers, able to transform a snake into his pants. Ah, the days of innocence :)

When I was in college, I created a stir in the English Department by turning in a paper title "Stephen King: Young Adult Author." My thesis was that while King did not fit the traditional criteria of a YAA, young adults were reading him and that qualifies him as one. (I don't know how King feels about that.) This was 1986, The Talisman had just been released in paperback and it was in HC. I had alread been scheduled for a 15-minute presentation on this paper, but the English chair suggested I present something else. When I refused, he just shook his head. I was last in line to present and everybody was bored to tears when I got to the lecturn, but I was up there for over an hour due to questions people were asking. I was feeling really good until i got my grade: C. Oh well....