PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Listen to While You Write?

Nik Houser
06-10-2011, 01:28 AM
I have to listen to music during the first draft of any fiction I write.

It really gets my gears turning, if I find the right tunes. For American Inferno (my submission for the contest), I listened to instrumentals: selections from the scores for Signs, The Happening, Inception, and 28 Weeks Later. I love James Newton Howard, in particular. His scores are so evocative and brooding, creating a wonderful sense of place and encroaching dread.

I'm working on an apocalyptic story at the moment, and have been pumping Rage Against the Machine and One Day as a Lion (Zack De La Rocha's post-Rage band) through my headphones, along with the wonderful Nine Inch Nails concept album Year Zero.

So, what do you guys listen to while writing? For your contest entry or otherwise. Or do you not listen to music? Why/why not?

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
I listen to anything from classical, to rap, to blues, to rock, heavy stuff, to crooners, and everything in between. Not a lot of country though, as it never caught for me. I use itunes genius selections and just pic a mood, so to say. Lately I have been on a Cage the Elephant phase, coming off of an 80's trend.

the_last_gunslinger
06-10-2011, 02:12 AM
I listen to absolutely nothing. Too distracting; I keep finding myself paying more attention to the lyrics or music than I am to the writing. Same goes for reading. I have to have relative silence in order to give my full attention.

onipar
06-10-2011, 02:14 AM
It's hard for me to listen to anything with lyrics, since I tend to want to sing along. I like instrumental stuff, or music with lyrics in a different language.

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Try Joe Satriani :)

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 02:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qD4acDu68&feature=related

Shiney
06-10-2011, 02:33 AM
All sorts of things, but a few staples would be: WARREN ZEVON, JOHNNY CASH, 16 HORSEPOWER and TOM WAITS.

hamount
06-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm writing a sad or upsetting story I listen to really slow Country music, but if I'm writing a really upbeat story then I have to have upbeat Country music. I keep two separate play lists, one for each mood.

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Here's me axe collection. My amp goes one higher, to eleven. :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1593844700979&set=a.1586644240972.67762.1681784524&type=1

Bah, not sure if you can see it.

Codpiece
06-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I find that if the music has a good melody, and lyrics that flow with it, that lyrics don't distract me. Unless I'm editing. I can't really do any music while I edit.

onipar
06-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Always appreciate a good Spinal Tap reference. :-)

I actually won a Satriani CD back in the 90's during a radio call-in contest. Have it kicking around somewhere.

I forgot, I can also dig some Tool while writing. It really depends with me. I do sometimes work okay with music that has lyrics. Just depends I guess.

JJ Holden
06-10-2011, 07:13 AM
If I want to get in the zone and churn out prose, I always seem to return to Orbital's The Box.

I build playlists for certain characters, too.

Draven Ames
06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I can't listen to music when I write. I've tried, but it distracts me.

Randy D. Rubin
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. Also love Rick Wakeman and Yes. After first draft I break out my Led Zepplin Discography and treat myself to the best with a glass of Crown on the rocks.:cool:

Eldritch
06-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman nourishes much of my writing.

Ben Staad
06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I can't listen to music when I write. I've tried, but it distracts me.

I second that!

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 04:31 PM
For me it adds background music to the little movie in my head. If it isn't fitting to the work I'll change it though, but I can't stand total quiet. It makes me want to scream. Sometimes the music stops and I don't even know, then I start talking to my dogs because its so maddening. If they ever start answering me, you all have my permission to shoot me. :P

malestrom
06-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I like listening to Gustav Holst when I write.

Brian James Freeman
06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I used to be able to listen to music or even have the TV one when I was writing, but those days are long past for me. Now, when I do get a chance to write, the room needs to basically be quiet and distraction free. I kind of miss "rocking out" while writing...

Brian

ozmosis7
06-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Sometimes I find myself trying to tap the keys to the beat if I'm not careful LOL.

RJK1981
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I typically don't listen to music when I read or write, though the TV is often on. If you are a fan of Brian Keene, he has put out free soundtracks to listen to intended for listening to while reading particular books of his

keithminnion
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Nothing. Silence = focus. I can have the current sentence scribbling on the pad while the next three are already forming in my head. Drawing and painting, though, is mindless. I crank up YES, RUSH, King Crimson, Green Day very very LOUD!

Nik Houser
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman nourishes much of my writing.

When I'm writing the right kind of story, Elfman's perfect. I pretty much listened to his Serenada Schizophrenia non-stop while writing a story called "The Finger Gave Itself" about a prosthetic limb salesman whose wares turn on him. Gonna be published next year in an antho with Draven (forgive a little self-promo there!).

Nik Houser
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I like listening to Gustav Holst when I write.

The Planets? Hell yeah.

Nik Houser
06-10-2011, 08:23 PM
For me it adds background music to the little movie in my head. :P

I know exactly what you mean. Perfectly put. For me, the best writing is often a transcription of that movie in my head, combined with insight into the heads of my characters.

Draven Ames
06-11-2011, 12:06 AM
I will listen to music to pump me up before I write a scene, or if that song is in my scene. I do add music to my scenes a lot.

KT Wagner
06-11-2011, 06:46 AM
For longer pieces (10,000 words plus) I create a soundtrack. Playing it helps me get my head into the right space to work.

I also use scented candles - a unique scent for each project.

It works for me, particularly when I am jumping between stories.

KT

RJHubbard53
06-11-2011, 04:49 PM
hmm...I turn Pandora to my Jack Johnson station and listen to whatever they serve up.

The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"

my choice is always - ALWAYS - tequila. No, not shots. Sips.

ozmosis7
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Seltzer for me. Once when I was 3 sheets to the wind so to say, I decided to write a few chapters. When I woke in the morning to edit them, I swear they might as well have been in Klingon.

RichardThomas
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Usually mellow background stuff. I've listened to a lot of Radiohead's IN RAINBOWS and old The Cure that I know so well I don't even hear the words to anymore.

Nik Houser
06-11-2011, 09:22 PM
The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"

I have bad ADD, so I can't really write unless I'm sipping coffee throughout to keep me focused.

Nik Houser
06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know if it's true or not (though I suspect it is, since his research is so in-depth) but I read in Dan Simmons's DROOD that Charles Dickens often wrote in the family room, with kids everywhere. Wow.

Draven Ames
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.

C.W. LaSart
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.

Same for me-I can't write without the tv on, because I'm not used to silence, but music distracts me. Most of writing is done with the 3 kids in the room with me, or after they go to bed with the tv on something mindless. :)

Nik Houser
06-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.

KT Wagner
06-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Strangely, I have discovered I can write while listening to, watching and even screaming at, hockey.

Go Canucks, Go.

:-)

Craig Wallwork
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Mostly Warren Ellis/Nick Cave collaborations/scores. White Lunar is good, The Assignation of Jesse James, and The Road.

Beambounder
06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Classic rock and alternative-Especially Pink Floyd the Conceptual-point /counterpoint years where Waters wrote-and Waters and Gilmour told Conceptual musical stories,while Mason and Wright held harmony,beat and atmosphere. I love progressive Rock. It is just my thing -i respect GREAT lyrics and a driving beat combined. The yin and Yang of Rock and Roll Genius. I miss Syd Barrett,and Richard Wright very much. Exuent en Pace. Peace at" The Clearing at The End of The Path" (sic Stephen king The Dark Tower) Beambounder. Hey King Crimson AKA The Crimson King. I think King likes some progressive stuff too. Well he recorded on one such CD anyway. Hey Ho,Let's Go-Gabba-Gabba-Hey,Hey Rest in Peace Lost -Ramones- Members .Thanks Joey Ramone for keeping it real. One of a Kind. Peace out-good question.

Craig Wallwork
06-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I forgot to add too, that whenever possible, I don't listen to music. If I do, it's the aforementioned. For a while I would use those orange foam ear plugs people buy when travelling in a plane. Using a pair of those while writing allows you to hear the rumble of slience and your own heart. Figured if the beats increased, the prose was getting better.

C.W. LaSart
06-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.

I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days, but worth the anti-aging benefits! Actually, I'm 34 and plenty old enough for three kids ;)

ozmosis7
06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days

LOL, awesome! Ya, I'm 41 and my kids are typically jumping on my back like it was a trampoline as I write. Then they whine and scream, "Daddy I'm bored," "Daddy it's my turn on the computer," "Daddy the house is on fire." It's always something with these kids. :)

C.W. LaSart
06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
LOL, awesome! Ya, I'm 41 and my kids are typically jumping on my back like it was a trampoline as I write. Then they whine and scream, "Daddy I'm bored," "Daddy it's my turn on the computer," "Daddy the house is on fire." It's always something with these kids. :)
If there aren't kids on my back, it's one of the two dogs trying to climb into my lap(did I mention they are big dogs?) and once in awhile, my rat Booger likes to hang out on my shoulder while I'm at my desk-I can tune out anything!

Draven Ames
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days, but worth the anti-aging benefits! Actually, I'm 34 and plenty old enough for three kids ;)

Hahaha to the blood bathing. I wouldn't have guessed your age. My sons are 10 and 14. I started young.

Draven Ames
06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
"Daddy it's my turn on the computer,"

My computer didn't come with turns.

You're 41? You look in your mid 30's, maybe. Bathing in blood too?

peteOcha
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Never would have guessed from looking at your profile pic! Virgin's blood, who would have thought! Puts those expensive anti-aging cosmetics to shame! :)

I like to write in a quite atmosphere, no music, no tv (well, sometimes some music, but rarely)... Although with an 8 month baby boy to take care of, quite is something that is hard to come by these days, I'm guessing even rarer than the blood of virgin's.

RJHubbard53
06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I write at work while on lunch break. That is the only time I have free - if I'm at home, I taking care of the 9mo kid (if the laptop comes out while the kid is around, he feels the need to play baby smash on the keyboard) or hangin' with my wife. Weekends are spent on the boat or working around the house. I find it hard to focus, to be honest. That is why I have so many story starts and no ends.

peteOcha
06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I write at work while on lunch break. That is the only time I have free - if I'm at home, I taking care of the 9mo kid (if the laptop comes out while the kid is around, he feels the need to play baby smash on the keyboard) or hangin' with my wife. Weekends are spent on the boat or working around the house. I find it hard to focus, to be honest. That is why I have so many story starts and no ends.

Ahhh, baby smash on the keyboard, know that one quite well. :) Also boom boom mouse flies across the room and smack the monitor cause its glowing. :)

mlouisdixon
06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
It depends on what I'm writing. I'll get ideas while listening to music. If that happens, I'm kind of forced to have to listen to that song over and over again as I create the first draft. Usually, I put on some particular mood fitting music into Pandora and just go. On the second draft, I need SILENCE.

For my story The Wings of a Fly, I was inspired by Nick Cave's Wings Off Flies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjus85xdLyE

KT Wagner
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Hmmmm. You are all making me feel old. My sons are 18 and 20 - still at home.

WesleySouthard
06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I wish I could listen to music, but I get too easily distracted.

JHhorrors
06-15-2011, 01:03 AM
I listen to whatever fits the mood of what I'm writing.. I have several playlists on my iPod.. "Instrumental", "Horror/Anger", "Love/Melancholy", etc etc etc...

I am currently working on a novel set during the Salem Witch Trials, so Rob Zombie has been a big time favorite.

Draven Ames
06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
NiN, Tool, APC, Metallica, so on, when I can write and need to set a mood.

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 12:12 AM
NiN, Tool, APC, Metallica, so on, when I can write and need to set a mood.

Good choices

Kenwood
06-16-2011, 12:42 AM
The older I get, the harder it is for me to write to music with lyrics. Especially catchy shit! Too much singing, too much air-drumming, too much rockin' out like a dummy and not enough writing! Haha.

So these days I typically listen to instrumental music or stuff that is really ambient and mellow, where the vocals are more ethereal, you know. I have a "writing" playlist which consists of the following bands/musicians:

Antimatter
Autumn Tears
Brendan Perry
Dark Sanctuary
Dead Can Dance
Delerium
Devin Townsend (his Devlab and The Hummer albums)
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions
Lisa Gerrard
Mazzy Star
Michael Hedges (the instrumental stuff)
Nightwish (instrumental version of Dark Passion Play and a few other instrumentals)
Tim Reynolds (the mellow instrumental stuff, like The Limbic System)

Then I have a ton of random instrumental tracks, some classical stuff, the Star Wars trilogy box set (every song but the ridiculous "Ewok Celebration" nonsense—"Yub nub, eee chop yub nub," BLECH! Haha).

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
That is a list I will have to print out and check. Always into finding new music to groove to.

Kenwood
06-16-2011, 01:28 AM
That is a list I will have to print out and check. Always into finding new music to groove to.

Most of that is real mellow stuff, not a whole lotta groove.

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Most of that is real mellow stuff, not a whole lotta groove.

Cool with me. I like everything except for most country. I am only able to tolerate the deep voiced guys there, and a few of the ladies. I listen to Sinatra, and a lot of other crooners. There is a mood for every story, yes.

Today I listened to Dream Academy, Depeche Mode, Live (can't seem to break the kick I have for that group lately), NIN, Fugazi, Satriani, and my favorite--Pink Floyd.

Kenwood
06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Cool with me. I like everything except for most country. I am only able to tolerate the deep voiced guys there, and a few of the ladies. I listen to Sinatra, and a lot of other crooners. There is a mood for every story, yes.

Today I listened to Dream Academy, Depeche Mode, Live (can't seem to break the kick I have for that group lately), NIN, Fugazi, Satriani, and my favorite--Pink Floyd.

Very cool. Here's my last 15 bands played, according to Last.fm: Motley Crue, The Sammus Theory, Wilson Gil & The Willful Sinners, Epica, Rusted Root, Into Eternity, Charlotte Martin, Atomic Rooster, Street Kid, Faith No More, Chaosfear, Day Of Fire, James Murphy, Iced Earth, and Jennifer Lee.

So as you can see, I have pretty broad tastes.

Randy D. Rubin
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey, I like the taste of a "pretty broad" too, Ken. What a co inky dink!

ozmosis7
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
hey, i like the taste of a "pretty broad" too, ken. What a co inky dink!

lol

Kenwood
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Wanna see how ridiculous I am with music? This is what I've bought for music this year (and I've cut back compared to recent years):

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (CD/DVD)
Amplified Heat - How Do You Like The Sound Of That
Anathema - Pentecost III (EP)
Angel City - Face To Face
Arc Angels - Arc Angels
Arcade - A/2
Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions (2CD)
Ari Hest - Incomplete (EP)
Ari Hest - Story After Story
Ari Hest - Sunset Over Hope Street
Aversion - Fit To Be Tied
Axenstar - The Final Requiem
Ayreon - Timeline (3CD/DVD)
Bad Religion - Against The Grain
Bang Bang - It's Choking Me
Bang Tango - Greatest Tricks
Bassinvaders - Hellbassbeaters
Battlelore - Doombound (CD/DVD)
Beardfish - Mammoth (CD/DVD)
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Part One
Beck - Mellow Gold
Before The Dawn - Deathstar Rising (w/Bonus Tracks)
BellRays, The - Hard, Sweet And Sticky
Ben Harper - Give Till It's Gone
Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Live (EP)
Beth Hart - 37 Days
Beth Hart - My California (w/Bonus Track)
Black Label Society - The Song Remains Not The Same
Blackstone Valley Crew - Ohana
Blount - Trauma
Blues Traveler - North Hollywood Shootout
Brave, The - Trust
Brides Of Destruction - Runaway Brides
Bullet Lavolta - The Gift
By Blood Alone - Thunderbirds
Canopy - Menhir
Carl Dixon - Into The Future
Cataract - Cataract
Cauldron - Burning Fortune
Cause For Alarm - Beneath The Wheel
Cause For Alarm - Cheaters And The Cheated
Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma (CD/DVD w/Bonus Tracks)
Charlotte Martin - Dancing On Needles (Autographed)
Chastain - For Those Who Dare (Reissue)
Cherry Street - Monroe
Children Of Bodom - Relentless, Reckless Forever (CD/DVD)
Christian Death - Jesus Points The Bone At You
Christian Death - Prophecies
Christian Death - Sexy Death God
CKY - Carver City
Coney Hatch - Best Of Three
Core Device - What I've Become
Crown Of Thorns - Crown Jewels (3CD)
Cynthesis - DeEvolution
Dark Moor - Autumnal
Dark Moor - Shadowland
Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax Vol. 20 - New York 8.19.93 (2CD)
Dave Matthews Band - Warehouse, Volume 10 (EP)
Dead Milkmen, The - The King In Yellow
Dear Life - Dear Life (Cassette Demo)
Def Leppard - Mirror Ball (2CD/DVD)
Denver Gentlemen, The - Introducing...
Derek Davis And The American Blues Box - Derek Davis And The American Blues Box (EP)
Derek Trucks Band, The - Soul Serenade
DevilDriver - Beast (CD/DVD w/Bonus Tracks)
Dirtball, The - Nervous System
Dirty White Boy - Bad Reputation
Dog Society - Test Your Own Eyes
Dogs On Television - Dogs On Television
Dropkick Murphys - Boys On The Docks (EP)
Dropkick Murphys - Going Out In Style
Dropkick Murphys - Live On St. Patrick's Day
East Bay Chasers, The - The East Bay Chasers
Edera - Ambiguous
Eleven - Avantgardedog
Eleven - Howling Book
Eleven - Thunk
Evergrey - Glorious Collision (w/Bonus Track)
Evergrey - Torn (w/Bonus Track)
Face Down - The Twisted Rule The Wicked
Farside - Farside (EP)
Faster Pussycat - The Power & The Glory Hole
Felony - Helltown Hotel
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel
Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape (w/Bonus Tracks)
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2CD w/Bonus Tracks)
Forté - Stranger Than Fiction (Reissue w/Bonus Tracks)
Forté - Vae Solis (EP) (Limited to 100)
Fozzy - Chasing The Grail
Freya - All Hail The End
Front 242 - 06:21:03:11 Up Evil
Front 242 - Geography
Gates Of Slumber, The - The Wretch
Gates Of Slumber, The - Villain, Villain (2CD)
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Ginger - I'm A Lover Not A Fighter (CD Single)
Ginger - Ten
Gotthard - Homerun
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues (w/Bonus Track)
Grayson Manor - Back On The Rock (EP)
Grayson Manor - Children Of The Manor (w/Bonus Tracks)
Great White - Let It Rock
Green River - Come On Down (EP)
Hammerfall - Legacy Of Kings (w/Bonus Tracks)
Handsome Family, The - Twilight
Heart - Jupiter's Darling
Heart - Red Velvet Car
Hellacopters, The - Cream Of The Crap: Collected Non-Album Works, Vol. 2
Helmet - Unsung (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Helstar - Multiples Of Black
Honeycrack - Anyway (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Honeycrack - Go Away (CD1 Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Honeycrack - Go Away (CD2 Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Honeycrack - King Of Misery (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Humanoids, The - Dirty Moves
Hurtsmile - Hurtsmile
Hypocrisy - The Final Chapter
James Murphy - Convergence
Jani Lane - Back Down To One
Jet Red - Jet Red
Joetown - Pills And Ammo
Journey - Eclipse
Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith (Reissue w/Bonus Tracks)
Kik Tracee - Field Trip (EP)
King Of The Hill - King Of The Hill
KMFDM - Agogo
KMFDM - Krank (EP) (Autographed)
KMFDM - Nihil
KMFDM - Rules (EP)
KMFDM - UAIOE
KMFDM Vs. Pig - Sin, Sex & Salvation (EP)
Kotipelto - Waiting For The Dawn
L7 - Everglade (CD Single w/Non-LP Track)
Lana Lane - Best Of Lana Lane 2000–2008 (2CD)
Lana Lane - Echoes From The Garden (EP)
Lauren Harris - Calm Before The Store (w/Bonus Tracks)
Leaves' Eyes - Njord (2CD Special Fan Edition w/Bonus Tracks)
Libertine - Rise Above (EP)
Lillian Axe - Sad Day On Planet Earth
Linkin Park - Songs From The Underground
Live - The Beauty Of Gray (EP)
Lizzy Borden - Deal With The Devil
Lou Gramm - Long Hard Rock
Marilyn Manson - The High End Of Low
Meatmen, The - Happy Fucking Easter, Asshole (7" EP)
Mechanical Poet - Creepy Tales For Freaky Children (w/Bonus Tracks)
Metalium - Hero Nation: Chapter Three (2CD)
Metalium - State Of Triumph: Chapter Two
Michael Hedges - Aerial Bounderies
Michael Hedges - Beyond Boundaries: Guitar Solos
Michael Hedges - Live On The Double Planet
Michael Hedges - Taproot
Mike Tramp - Songs I Left Behind
Mindfunk - Mindfunk
Mindstorm - Back To Reality
Mishka - Mishka
Motorhead - The World Is Yours
MP - Bursting Out - Live & Loud
Music, The - Freedom Fighters (CD Single w/Non-LP Track)
Negative - Neon
Nemesis - Nemesis
Nicole Atkins - Mondo Amore
Nightrage - A New Disease Is Born
Norther - N (w/Bonus Tracks)
Odyssey - Reinventing The Past
OSI - Re: Free (EP)
Otis Taylor - Definition Of A Circle
Overlord - Back Into The Dragon's Lair
Powerman 5000 - Korea Tour EP
Prisoners, The - In The Land Of The Free (EP)
Prong - Power Of The Damager
Ra - Raw
Roadsaw - Roadsaw
Rockhead - Chelsea Rose (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Rockhead - Timer (EP)
RoutaSielu - Pimeys
Rusty Eye - Possessor
Sam Roberts Band - Collider
Scanner - Scantropolis
Scarce - Deadsexy
Seasick Steve - Man From Another Time
Sense Field - Living Outside
Sense Field - Sense Field
Sense Field - Tonight And Forever
Serenity - Death & Legacy (w/Bonus Tracks)
Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead Symphony
Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies (CD/DVD)
Sex Gang Children - Blind
Shadow Theory, The - Behind The Black Veil
Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo (2CD w/Bonus Tracks)
Sirenia - The Enigma Of Life (w/Bonus Tracks)
Skagarack - A Slice Of Heaven
Sons Of Seasons - Magnisphyricon
Spineshank - Self-Destructive Pattern
Stratovarius - Elysium
Supershit 666 - Supershit 666 (EP)
Supertouch - Lost My Way (7" EP)
Megadeth - Hangar 18 (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
NE Hostility - Killa Groove Candy (EP)
O.A.R. - Any Time Now (2CD)
Only Living Witness - Prone Mortal Form
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
R.D.P. - Anarkophobia
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
Skunk Anansie - Charlie Big Potato (CD2 Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Soulfly - Prophecy
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (2CD)
Supagroup - Supagroup
Supertouch - The Earth Is Flat
Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth
Tall Stories - Tall Stories
Tattoo - Blood Red
Teramaze - Tears To Dust
Therapy? - Knives (Promo CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18
They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom
They Might Be Giants - Flood
They Might Be Giants - Indestructible Object (EP)
They Might Be Giants - John Henry
They Might Be Giants - Miscellaneous T
They Might Be Giants - Why Does The Sun Shine (EP)
Three Fish - Three Fish
Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man
Toadies - Feeler
Totalisti - Slave To None
Trail Of Tears - A New Dimension Of Might
Transatlantic - Whirld Tour 2010: Live From Shepherd's Bush Empire, London (3CD)
Trapt - Someone In Control
Tree Of The Sun/Blastula - Tree Of The Sun/Blastula (1995 Cassette Demo)
Tres Mts. - Three Mountains
Tristania - Tristania (EP)
Turbonegro - Retox (w/Bonus Tracks)
Two-Bit Thief - One More For The Road
Tyr - The Lay Of Thrym (w/Bonus Tracks)
Uncle Jack - Uncle Jack (EP)
Under Neath What - What Is It
Upskirts, The - Tube Top Tease (EP)
Vagh - Sands Of Time
Valient Thorr - Total Universe Man
Vanize - High Proof
W.A.S.P. - Babylon
Wake, The - Masked
Warrant - Rockaholic
Warzone - Fight For Justice
Warzone - The Victory Years
When Day Descends - When Day Descends
While Heaven Wept - Fear Of Infinity
White Stripes, The - Elephant
White Stripes, The - Get Behind Me Satan
Wicked Maraya - 1992 Demo (Cassette)
Widowmaker - Blood And Bullets
Wig Wam - Hard To Be A Rock'n Roller (w/Bonus Track)
Wig Wam - Wig Wamania
Wildhearts, The - Don't Be Happy...Just Worry (2CD)
Wildhearts, The - Fishing For Luckies (Limited Edition Reissue w/3D Holographic Cover)
Wildhearts, The - Fishing For Luckies (Original EP)
Wildhearts, The - I Wanna Go Where The People Go (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Wildhearts, The - If Life Is Like A Love Bank... (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Wildhearts, The - Just In Lust (CD Single w/Non-LP Tracks)
Wildhearts, The - P.H.U.Q. (Limited Edition w/Purple Velvet Case)
Wildhearts, The - Red Light - Green Light (EP)
Wildhearts, The - Suckerpunch (EP)
Wildhearts, The - TV EP
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
WithoutEnding - WithoutEnding
Zac Maloy - Saturday Is Gone
ZO2 - Casino Logic

My playlist is epic! Haha.

ozmosis7
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
That's quite the list LOL. Are those just songs? Or albums? I might buy a dozen or songs a year.

Kenwood
06-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Those are albums. I have about 8,000 total. So many I no longer have room for them! Haha.

JJ Holden
06-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Soundgarden and White Stripes! Whooooo!

Craig Wallwork
06-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Man, I knew about five of those featured in that list, Kenwood. The pulse is flat and my finger is numb.

ozmosis7
06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm with Craig, but always into checking new stuff out for sure.

smokedragon
06-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Graveyard- Hisingen Blues is awesome, and I've also been listening to Grand Magus - Hammer of the North, old school metal, got me headbangin' while tryin' to write :)

Most of the time I've been listening to Japan's album , Obscure Alternatives, absolutely fantastic music to write by.

Ben Staad
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Some seriously cool music on your list Kenwood. Thumbs up!

portrait in flesh
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
It really depends on what type of writing I'm doing. If I find I'm struggling or trying to come up with a brand new story, I tend to opt for white noise/environmental sounds/ambient background stuff. (First latched onto it at the office...great for drowning out chatter.)

If I'm revising or things seem to be going along swimmingly, I'll dig out my Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and/or NIN.

Draven Ames
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
It really depends on what type of writing I'm doing. If I find I'm struggling or trying to come up with a brand new story, I tend to opt for white noise/environmental sounds/ambient background stuff. (First latched onto it at the office...great for drowning out chatter.)

If I'm revising or things seem to be going along swimmingly, I'll dig out my Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and/or NIN.
Love me some Pink Floyd and NiN.

ozmosis7
06-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Love me some Pink Floyd and NiN.

Same! Floyd is my #1.

ozmosis7
07-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Been listening to David Gilmour - In Concert DVD a lot lately. This is probably my #1 dVD concert now.

mlouisdixon
07-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Been listening to David Gilmour - In Concert DVD a lot lately. This is probably my #1 dVD concert now.

I went to go see David Gilmour back in the 80's. I screwed up and misunderstood when the tickets went on sale so ended up in the nosebleed section. It was horrible. Every time he would do a guitar solo, the entire place would go wild and I couldn't hear a thing. There he was, I tiny little dot playing a tiny little stick and all around me the roar of the insane.

When Roger Waters came to town, I made sure to get floor seats. I was in the second row just off to the right. One of the best damned shows I'd been to. Much more theatrical then Gilmour's--and I could hear everything!

MLD

TerryE
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
God, I miss Floyd. I got to seem them once intact and once without Waters. Great, great shows.

"By the way, which one's Pink."

ozmosis7
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I hear ya, MLD. This is why I don't go to many concerts now days. When i was young, I tended not to care so much where I sat for the majority of the concerts. Now days, if I can afford to go, I'm going to make sure I can see and hear it. Gilmour tends to focus less on the show and more on the music, while Waters puts the whole thing together. I like both methods actually, depending on mood, but this Gilmour was incredible. I wanted to see this concert when it came to town, but even the nosebleed seats were going for $450 per. I'll likely not have another chance to see him solo. Saw Waters the last three concerts he brought this way. They were all good.

We will never see them all together again, as Wright died, but there is hope for something with the other three. Although if you watch the video where Gimour/Mason make an appearance at Roger's Wall tour, they look a little bitter. I thought Roger was being cool about things. So, there is a glimmer, although it is a small one.

Reader/WriterJNT
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Same! Floyd is my #1.
Pink Floyd is easily my #1 as well. As for what music I listen to when writing, Pink Floyd seeps in a lot of times (Mostly through outlining), but I will listen to just about anything (except Rap really (It's just not my genre)) as long as it fits with the environment/mood for my story. I'm a big Rod Serling "Twilight Zone" fan, and listen to the soundtracks from the series a lot, when writing. The only truly distracting thing for me when listening to music is if I pick something that I want to listen to, for example, Stephen King's audio book reading to "On Writing". I can't write when listening to that because I want to hear what he has to say. On the other hand, during college, I usually always listen to his speech that became the audio cd, "Building Bridges-Live at the National Book Awards" a great gem for the aspiring writer!