No announcement yet.

srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I'd never gone out of my way for an S/L or flat-signed book until recently, I started scouring back-alley book shops in Topeka and Kansas City in the mid-80's for old Michael Moorcock paperbacks. This is what my meager collection started out as:

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

The bottom row of pic #4 is still on my TBR list. A number of the books in pic #3 were purchased in Australia. I've collected as many Moorcock books in HC as I could since 1995. Mohter London in pic #4 currently sits at #3 on my all-time favorite list.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Mr Boone, t'aint nuthin' MEAGER about that collection a'tall

Comment

Meager collection? I thought I knew the meaning of the word meager. Guess I must have been wrong....
        I have never read a book by Michael Moorcock yet...

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          Meager collection? I thought I knew the meaning of the word meager. Guess I must have been wrong....
          I have never read a book by Michael Moorcock yet...

sk
          Meager in comparison to you and Mr. Woot!

Moorcock is one of the most eloquent authors I've ever read. He writes dark fantasy mostly. If anybody is looking to read something by him, I would recommend The Warhound and the World's Pain. I think Mother London is his best work, but it's about three survivors of the V-2 rocket bombings of WWII who encounter each other in a mental institution--not the dark fantasy he's really known for.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Great stuff Squire! Not meager at all! If I ever have the chance to pick up something of his I'll be sure not to pass it by. I remember you saying that he had something that could be compared to The Dark Tower series...?

Comment

Well, as far as The Eternal Champion series encompassing 95% of what he's written. Since he writes in trilogies, you have to be careful of what you pick up first. Moorcock also ocassionally places himself in his own novels, though he is never a motivating factor in them; he usually just appears as a traveller in the megaflow of time.

I was always curious as to why Grant published Moorcock's The Vanishing Tower--#4 in the original 6-book Elric saga--and none of the other 5.

Of couse there's now 12 books in the Elric saga, plus a plethora of short stories by a whole sh'bang of authors.

Pictured is maybe 20% of what he's written...
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Just noticed he's in the short story collection I'm reading at the moment, with a story called Stories. Here's the opening line: "This is the story of my friend Rex Fisch who blew out his complicated brains in his Lake District library all over his damned books one Sunday afternoon last September."

Something tells me I'm going to like this one.

Comment

Bon apetit, monsieur!

(I'm not familiar with "Stories", but it's Moorcock and the opening line IS quite enticing!)
                  Last edited by srboone; 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Great stuff Squire, I do believe, based on the posts herein, that I'll have a little looky loo at Mr Moorcock (jeez, is that like Looking for Mr Goodbar - hope not ) ..

Comment

Couldn' resist after Dan's post. I guess this dates me ,tho:

Untitled.jpg
                      untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpg

A 27-year-old mug is bound to have a crack in it (but no chips!) Ahhh...small town western Kansas...26 people in my graduating class....
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                        Great stuff Squire, I do believe, based on the posts herein, that I'll have a little looky loo at Mr Moorcock (jeez, is that like Looking for Mr Goodbar - hope not ) ..
                        Most of Moorcock's books are 180-220 pages in length (day to day-n-a-half reads). If you read enough of Moorcock and his crazy time-flow theories, you realize that all of his eternal champion series books happen simultaneously, so any one should be able to be picked up to read, but this is the one that cemented by love for Moorcock:

399384.jpg
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                          Couldn' resist after Dan's post. I guess this dates me ,tho:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1665[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1666[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1667[/ATTACH]

A 27-year-old mug is bound to have a crack in it (but no chips!) Ahhh...small town western Kansas...26 people in my graduating class....
                          Squire, do you realize "principal" is spelled incorrectly on the mug?

John

Comment

yes, but I wasn't in charge of this. After 27 years, what does it matter?
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Here's something I was in charge of (6 years later):

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpg

2, 5, 8, and 9 were my contibutions. (I was dating the coxin of my 4-man shell and when we called it quits, she became a real bitch and slave driver. But we did a lot of winning!) All the rowing teams would make t-shirts every year and sell that at regattas. This one was quite popular.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Priceless! Nice one Squire. I get a real kick out of t-shirts like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X