PDA

View Full Version : Do you Kindle?

RJHubbard53
06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
i've been getting the itch to get a Kindle -the only thing I've read is the Kindle-related story by Stephen King. I read it on my iPad.

I'm not sure I read enough "mass market" books to justify a Kindle. Only books I seem to buy these days are from publishers such as CD - and I can't get those books on Kindle, at least I dont think I can...

You know what would be cool? If REAL books came with some type of unique one-use code that could be entered or scanned that granted an electronic version as well - kinda like the DVDs that come with a mobile version for your ipod.

Anyway, just wondering if my fellow printed media afficionados have moved to any eReader...

Dan Hocker
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I read most of my books on a tablet, Galaxy Tab to be exact. I still buy the hardcover's in most cases, but it's really just nice to be able to take more than one book with you when you go places, and with the kindle software if I don't have my tablet I can read them off my phone, it's really nice if you find yourself waiting somewhere for something.

chantal
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I own the B&N Nook. I absolutely ADORE it. All your books on one handheld = AMAZING.

Robert Spearman
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
chantal, arent you supposed to be working?

Brian James Freeman
06-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm a big fan of my Kindle -- it's especially nice for reading submissions!

Brian

RJK1981
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).

larryki
06-08-2011, 08:53 PM
When I'm giving plasma and only have one hand I use my Cooler reader I got from QVC. It is super lightweight which I like. Currently reading The Passage. At home I'm reading about 7 books depending on what room I'm in :-)

Martin
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I use the Kindle app on my Droid phone and PC. I primarily use it to read short stories. The reason is, like Dan mentioned above, that it is a great way to lose track of time when you are waiting for something. CD did offer a few eBooks a while back but I am not sure if they are still available.

pixie
06-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't kindle or nook or read on an ipad. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old fashioned book.

pixie
06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I have used Kindle apps on my computer before and have their Droid app on my phone, but have no an eReader and don't plan on having one as I highly prefer the physical book (especially hardcover). Physical books will work whether there is electricity or not, unlike computers or eReaders (Batteries gotta be charged, they don't last forever).

I agree 100% There is nothing better than holding the physical book and reading a great story! LONG LIVE THE PRINTED BOOK!

Ben Staad
06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree with RJK1981 and Pixie.....plus my eyes hurt reading on a screen for an extended amount of time.

bsaenz24
06-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I use the kindle for one publisher that I get the kindle version with my LT deal. I like having the kidle version, but I would never want "just" an ebook version of something.

srboone
06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Put me in the group that doesn't Kindle, Nook, Schnook, or Swindle. A good book is as much a pleasure to hold as to read. I have a few e-books, but after 3 minutes of reading on my computer i lost interest. I had to print them out, 3-ring them and then read them.

I read The Painted Darkness only after I printed it out--I need to get the book, it's that good. I was really annoyed that Brian Hodge's end notes to Picking the Bones was only on-line.

I am against book burning, but I'd be up for an All-American Kindle Smash if anyone's interested!!!

folgersnyourcup
06-09-2011, 01:22 AM
My girlfriend loves her Nook, but I can't read a book unless I am holding it physically in my hands. One of the biggest reasons is I love to own hardcovers and see them on my shelf. But also, my eyes hurt after trying to read for long periods of time on a screen.

C.W. LaSart
06-09-2011, 02:12 AM
I am a total bibliophile-I LOVE everything about books! But I do love the Nook Color I got for Christmas this year. I like the fact that I can just download a book and read it right away. Bookstores are getting hard to come by so I order almost everything online. I have found a compromise, I still buy the books by all my favorite authors, but if I am just bumming around for something to read or trying someone new, I get it on the Nook. If I really enjoy the read, I order the book. If I don't enjoy it, then it doesn't take up room on my overflowing bookshelves.

misery chastain loves co.
06-09-2011, 02:55 AM
I always said to myself "I will NEVER get one of these! bah humbug!" but then a friend bought me one for Christmas and now I cant imagine being without it! I literally have no more room for my books so this certainly comes in handy for storage purposes. There are some great finds in the kindle store that you cant find in printed form(especially for horror nuts like me) for pretty cheap! You can also put a TON on there. While I still enjoy books on the shelf and will continue to buy every Stephen King hardcover that ever comes out, I am proud to be a member on the kindle bandwagon :)

KT Wagner
06-09-2011, 03:02 AM
I've owned my e-reader (Sony) for almost three years. It's a little worse for wear -- my dog chewed off the leather cover and decorated the edges of the reader with puppy teeth marks -- but still going strong.

My eyes are easily strained reading a back lit screen, like a computer or Ipad. Most (all?) e-readers use a technology which does not require back lighting. It is no harder on the eyes than a paperback. The print size can also be adjusted.

For me, it has not replaced print books. If anything, I buy more print books these days.

I can download and read pdf's on the e-reader, saving me eye strain and/or printing costs.

Many books are not available in any format except electronic.

It is easier to take a selection of books on vacation.

However, I still prefer print books for several reasons:

1) I can lend them without having to pass over my e-reader.
2) I like to flip back and forth while reading -- not easily done with the e-reader
3) If my dozen or so bookcases become redundant, I will have to paint the walls behind them.

Katherine

RJHubbard53
06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to get one - I find that I usualyl only buy hard cover books these days and I don't like to take them to the pool or on the boat. Seems an ereader is the solution.

Untitled
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not against the Kindle or Nook or what have you, but I prefer the tactile sense of touching the book. Also, the smell of a fresh book (or even a moldy old one) is so evocative of the reading experience for me. Plus, the sensation of physically turning the page to get to find out what happens next is so great. I mean, I still watch movies in bed, but it's not the same as literally being brought to the edge of your seat in a movie theater. I'm sure I'll try an e-reader someday though, and probably get a lot out of it.

mdreynolds
06-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes! I love the benefits of the kindle over the iPad. Specifically 30 day battery life.

the_last_gunslinger
06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I used to say I hate e-readers just to rebel against the current trend, but when my brother bought one and I attempted to read Lolita on it, I found that I actually do detest them. I hate the way it feels in my hand, the way you can't really mark your progress or tell how many pages you have left. I hated how you no longer required a book mark, or how you couldn't simply admire the art of finely bound books. Not only that, but they are fragile; my brother's already had to replace his twice because of malfunctions inherent in the product itself.

RJHubbard53
06-10-2011, 12:41 AM
. . . or tell how many pages you have left...

ya know, i never thought of that. I think that would drive me nuts! How many times, as you lie in bed or wherever you read, see the small number of pages remaining a decide to stay up a little longer just to reach the end of the story? Yeah, i think that would drive me nuts too

Dan Hocker
06-10-2011, 12:42 AM
ya know, i never thought of that. I think that would drive me nuts! How many times, as you lie in bed or wherever you read, see the small number of pages remaining a decide to stay up a little longer just to reach the end of the story? Yeah, i think that would drive me nuts too

Well you can tell how much of the story you have left, it's just not defined by pages.

Codpiece
06-10-2011, 01:44 AM
What I love is that people can self publish so easily on the Kindle. Is the same true for the Nook and other e-readers?

KT Wagner
06-10-2011, 03:32 AM
Well you can tell how much of the story you have left, it's just not defined by pages.

Sony's e-reader marks pages in this format - 265 of 378. It's also possible to bookmark.

Many authors offer their earlier books for free. If I like what I am reading, I often buy print copies of their later books.

Katherine

Nik Houser
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
If anybody's interested, I've got a dark novella on the Kindle called Red Rover (alas my agent doesn't do novellas, so I'm on my own with this one). Though its protagonists are animals, it gets quite dark and is NOT recommended for kids. Think Watership Down meets Chinatown. Here's the product description:

Bedtime Story Noir. A fable of murder, betrayal and insanity told from the perspective of two household pets, Red Rover follows Goldie the dog and Medusa the cat as they follow the trail of an infant kidnapped by one of their own. What begins as a tale of deduction becomes a story of survival as Goldie and Medusa flee from a criminally violent dog catcher while pursuing a suspect list of savage predators. Was it the schizophrenic Great Pyrenees? The imprisoned python? Or the hive-mind warren of laboratory rabbits known only as The Oracle? Seen through the eyes of two animals at odds with both each other and the human world around them, Red Rover returns the reader to the darker corners of childhood, where anything is possible, and all creatures great and small pursue an agenda of good. . .or evil.

You can read the first half on my website here: http://www.nikhouser.com/Red_Rover_Part_I.html

Or pick it up for 2.99 on the Kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rover-ebook/dp/B002QEC6L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1306008790&sr=8-1

If you check it out, thanks a bunch!

ozmosis7
06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I've been holding out for an Ipad because you can load the various software on it to handle any ebook format...or so I've heard. By the time I get one though, I suspect books will just be emailed directly into our brains.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
If anybody's interested, I've got a dark novella on the Kindle called Red Rover (alas my agent doesn't do novellas, so I'm on my own with this one). Though its protagonists are animals, it gets quite dark and is NOT recommended for kids. Think Watership Down meets Chinatown. Here's the product description:

Bedtime Story Noir. A fable of murder, betrayal and insanity told from the perspective of two household pets, Red Rover follows Goldie the dog and Medusa the cat as they follow the trail of an infant kidnapped by one of their own. What begins as a tale of deduction becomes a story of survival as Goldie and Medusa flee from a criminally violent dog catcher while pursuing a suspect list of savage predators. Was it the schizophrenic Great Pyrenees? The imprisoned python? Or the hive-mind warren of laboratory rabbits known only as The Oracle? Seen through the eyes of two animals at odds with both each other and the human world around them, Red Rover returns the reader to the darker corners of childhood, where anything is possible, and all creatures great and small pursue an agenda of good. . .or evil.

You can read the first half on my website here: http://www.nikhouser.com/Red_Rover_Part_I.html

Or pick it up for 2.99 on the Kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rover-ebook/dp/B002QEC6L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1306008790&sr=8-1

If you check it out, thanks a bunch!

Hey, love that cover! Good price, too!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
For those of you who do have a Kindle or Nook or run any of the Kindle apps, I have a couple of eBooks right now. There's The Painted Darkness, of course, plus a mini-collection of short stories and also some individual short stories for 99 cents each. I'll be posting a few more mini-collections and other short stories this summer, plus hopefully Black Fire and Blue November Storms if there's any interest. Here's the link:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/estore.html

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check them out. Thanks!

Best,
Brian

Nik Houser
06-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for checking it out! I've been talking with Vincent Chong about commissioning a proper cover. I'd like to self-publish a physical edition through Kickstarter and donate the proceeds to the Humane Society and SPCA.

ozmosis7
06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Those are all cool covers!

ozmosis7
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm planning to put my cover art services up for bid when time makes itself more available. I probably won't be able to use Ebay for it, as I plan to do with some other stuff, but my goal is to exchange the service straight up for a check made out to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (my preferred charity). I'll have to see how everything else goes though before I decide for sure.

C.W. LaSart
06-13-2011, 06:44 PM
For those of you who do have a Kindle or Nook or run any of the Kindle apps, I have a couple of eBooks right now. There's The Painted Darkness, of course, plus a mini-collection of short stories and also some individual short stories for 99 cents each. I'll be posting a few more mini-collections and other short stories this summer, plus hopefully Black Fire and Blue November Storms if there's any interest. Here's the link:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/estore.html

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check them out. Thanks!

Best,
Brian

Bought THe Painted Darkness for my Nook-might be a bit before I get a chance to read it since I have a deadline of August for my anthology, but I am collecting interesting books and look forward to some serious reading time soon!

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Bought THe Painted Darkness for my Nook-might be a bit before I get a chance to read it since I have a deadline of August for my anthology, but I am collecting interesting books and look forward to some serious reading time soon!

Thank you! Hope you like it!

Brian

C.W. LaSart
06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you! Hope you like it!

Brian

I think I will-was there a bit of it in CD? Or was it a different story? I remember reading something in the last issue I believe-but all this recent reading of short stories has boggled my brain a bit!

Dan Hocker
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I think I will-was there a bit of it in CD? Or was it a different story? I remember reading something in the last issue I believe-but all this recent reading of short stories has boggled my brain a bit!

There was an excerpt in CD 64 we also sold / are selling hardcovers of the book. Although I think we're almost sold out of the 2nd printing THC.

peteOcha
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
There was an excerpt in CD 64 we also sold / are selling hardcovers of the book. Although I think we're almost sold out of the 2nd printing THC.

For those who don't have it, it's a really nice edition! Actually I just finished reading my copy and must say that it was a great read! The artwork is a great addition, although I imagined Henry to be a bit different than the way he was depicted in the artwork.

RJHubbard53
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't kindle or nook or read on an ipad. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the old fashioned book.

so do I but they can be a real pain. I'm turning into my grandpa who bought all sorts of things but never took them out of the box to keep them "mint". I find myself doing that now with books - i dont want to take them to the boat, on a plane, by the pool, or in the tub b/c i might mess them up. OCD? perhaps.

Nik Houser
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
so do I but they can be a real pain. I'm turning into my grandpa who bought all sorts of things but never took them out of the box to keep them "mint". I find myself doing that now with books - i dont want to take them to the boat, on a plane, by the pool, or in the tub b/c i might mess them up. OCD? perhaps.

You know, I've often wondered why there are some things I want to keep crisp, and what I've decided is that it reminds me of that feeling of when I was a kid and went to the toy store or the comic shop and OH MY GOSH they've got the exact G.I.JOE/TRANSFORMER/THUNDERCAT/ETC. I was looking for! It's that feeling of holding a piece of that WONDERFUL OTHER that gels with your soul (hey, I was a kid, Transformers gelled with my soul). And the more bumps or scratches you get in it, the more it becomes a piece of you, rather than a piece of that OTHER. Am I making any sense? Having said that, I tend to accidentally scuff my stuff pretty well, so there are few books or prints or what-have-you that are in great shape, and for the most part I don't worry about it. But I love 'em all the same.

RJHubbard53
06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
i just bought a kindle.

think i may buy some story for it called Red Rover - sounds like a good read :)

RJHubbard53
06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
i had no idea! you can use facebook, check email, and visit blogs with the kindle! what a great device!

bsaenz24
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
The nice thing about the kindle is that I've been able to find so man classic novels for free!!!

frik51
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty new to Kindle.
How does that work, downloading books for free?
I thought books could only be purchased through Amazon and had to be payed for.

sk

bsaenz24
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

sk

If you go to Amazon's Kindle page, they have a BestSeller's list that shows the top 100 or so "Pay For" and Free kindle books. Also, you can just see them if you search by an author and sort by price. They are are a lot of free books. Obviously, beggars can't be choosers, but if you want classic literature, I'm found most everything I want for free. Some of the classics seem to come in a a free and a non-free version. I suggest the Free!!! ;)

Dan Hocker
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM

sk

Books can only obtained through amazon, however there are a fair amount of things that are free on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fb%3Fie%3DUT F8%26node%3D2245146011%26ref_%3Damb_link_355831402 _5%23&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

frik51
06-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Wow! I didn't know!
THANKS!!

sk

RJHubbard53
06-17-2011, 05:30 PM
what sold me is that later this year, I'll be able to check out library books from the library on my kindle: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazon-to-allow-library-check-out-of-kindle-books-2011-04-20

I'm glad for that as I am not thrilled about the price of some kindle books - good example is Koontz's 'fankenstein' series. Good books; quick reads - I can get the paperback off the rack for about $5.99. The kindle version is $9.99 - that defies logic; shouldnt the eVersion be cheaper to produce and deliver?

Dan Hocker
06-17-2011, 06:04 PM
what sold me is that later this year, I'll be able to check out library books from the library on my kindle: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazon-to-allow-library-check-out-of-kindle-books-2011-04-20

I'm glad for that as I am not thrilled about the price of some kindle books - good example is Koontz's 'fankenstein' series. Good books; quick reads - I can get the paperback off the rack for about $5.99. The kindle version is $9.99 - that defies logic; shouldnt the eVersion be cheaper to produce and deliver?

Publisher's will sometimes price the ebook version higher than the paperback if they are trying to move more units of the paperback. Usually once the paperback is sold out, or they've remaindered the leftovers, then they'll drop the price.

Nik Houser
06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
i just bought a kindle.

think i may buy some story for it called Red Rover - sounds like a good read :)

WHOA! Just saw this! THANKS, BROTHER!

ozmosis7
06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
OT: Speaking of Koontz's new Frankenstein, I was surprised to find out that only the 4th book came out in HC. I went to purchase it and its a no go for any of the other books. What the hell?

RJHubbard53
06-18-2011, 12:18 AM
OT: Speaking of Koontz's new Frankenstein, I was surprised to find out that only the 4th book came out in HC. I went to purchase it and its a no go for any of the other books. What the hell?

i didnt think any of there were to be released in HC; thought it was PB only

jester05jk
06-18-2011, 02:42 AM

Only the 4th is in a mass market HC, I've bought them all as they have come out. Charnel House released or is about to release the 4th, are working on 5 as well and did his screenplay for Frankenstein in limited editions.

frik51
06-18-2011, 05:11 AM

I think that is indeed the case.
I only came as far as the first two, but they were only available in the paperback format.

sk

RJHubbard53
06-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I plan to read them although I thought the third book ended the story well

ozmosis7
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
they were only available in the paperback format.

I would think there is a huge market for those in HC. Maybe he is planing something down the road. Odd marketing plan on those.

ozmosis7
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I plan to read them although I thought the third book ended the story well

For me the 4th did an amazing job.

frik51
06-18-2011, 03:13 PM
So, I should read the third and fourth books in this series?

sk

ozmosis7
06-18-2011, 05:22 PM
So, I should read the third and fourth books in this series?

sk

I'd say so.

Craig Wallwork
06-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I have a kindle. Downloaded most of the free books, a few other recommendations, and recently got through Stoker's Dracula using text to speech. Reason: I wanted something to listen to while I drove to work. Without true intonation and inflection the delivery is somewhat flat. Too, there was a lot of Yorkshire speak that didn't translate well at all. In sections is sounded like Stephen Hawkings with tourette's.

frik51
06-19-2011, 06:46 AM
I'd say so.

OK, I'll ad these to my to-read list!
Thanks.

sk

RJHubbard53
06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
i impressed my Fahter-in-law with my Kindle Sunday. He asked "Does it have Nelson Demille?" so I showed him the titles available and he found one he hadn't read yet! I think he's sold

MrRoland
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a Kindle app on my Android phone, so there are a few classics I have on there that I'm reading. It's not bad, but impossible to gauge your progress through the book.

C.W. LaSart
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I was really torn on the whole E-reader subject and still am a bit. Here's the link to my very first ever blog post where I talk about how they make me feel http://www.cwlasart.com/?p=1

MrRoland
07-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Caren, your blog sums up my main reason why I've resisted getting a Nook or Kindle, the missing of the other senses, especially the tactile sensation of holding the book in my hands. That and placing it on the shelf for it to await the next time I read it.

Dan Hocker
07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I was really torn on the whole E-reader subject and still am a bit. Here's the link to my very first ever blog post where I talk about how they make me feel http://www.cwlasart.com/?p=1

It was a very good blog post. The one little thing I have to poke at is the thought that the e-reader is "destroying" the publishing business. It's really not the case, if anything it's destroying the printing business, but publishers love e-books because they require so little work on their part.

I'm not one the necessarily cares about the feel of the book or any of that. I do like having them on my shelf, but the e-reader is a wondrous thing. I can carry an entire library of books with me wherever I go, all in my pocket. I even find myself buying books I already own for the e-reader. The original can sit looking all "pretty" on the shelf and I just read it off the e-reader. I've eve gone so far to buy some books by some of my favorite authors, in e-reader form before I have bought the hard cover. Granted this is mostly because I want 1st printings of the books and haven't come around to them yet in my "list of things to buy" yet, but still.

bsaenz24
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not one the necessarily cares about the feel of the book or any of that.

You know Dan, some days it's like I don't know you at all!!! ;)

Dan Hocker
07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
You know Dan, some days it's like I don't know you at all!!! ;)

Technically we've never met.... :p

C.W. LaSart
07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I guess what I was aiming at was more of the destruction of the brick and mortar stores that I so love. There is no greater place for me than a bookstore. I realize that e-format is still publishing, but it has done some harm to bookstores. I have come to a peaceful compromise with my reading habits. I do like my Nook-but it will never compare to an actual book. I like being able to conserve space though.

Dan Hocker
07-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I guess what I was aiming at was more of the destruction of the brick and mortar stores that I so love. There is no greater place for me than a bookstore.

Ahh I got ya. Brian and I where just commenting the other day on how we miss Borders Books, as they all closed up by where we live, and neither of us really like Barnes and Nobel. I never was a "mom and pop" store kind of guy though, I want the deal, and the bigger stores and online sellers will be able to give that to me sadly.

the_last_gunslinger
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
At least you've all got book stores in your immediate vicinity. About once a year, I go to Birch Run, Michigan and they have a Borders there as part of the outlet mall, but that's a two-hour drive one way. And I'm not big on used book stores (most of them have closed down around here anyway) but I hate how the mar the books with price stickers and pencil marks. I want my books to be pristine.

C.W. LaSart
07-08-2011, 09:35 PM
We have a small book store in my town that I love-but the nearest big store is an hour and a half away-it's Barnes and Noble but I will take what I can get!

peteOcha
07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
At least you have options. All I have is 1 bookstore that sells books in English. And the selection there is that of a very small bookstore. There are some others that have books in English, but they are limited to specialty books or they just have a small shelf of some well known classics. So most of my stuff is orders; amazon, CD, etc. Just tried HPB today for the first time...

Dan Hocker
07-08-2011, 10:18 PM
We have a small book store in my town that I love-but the nearest big store is an hour and a half away-it's Barnes and Noble but I will take what I can get!

Ahh I live in the suburbs, everything is close, but the small bookstore is a bit of a rare beast.

RJHubbard53
07-09-2011, 12:41 AM
i've become a bit OCD with my books so don't like to read them. I dont buy paperbacks and when I do read it is at the beach, pool, or on the boat so I dont like to take my hard covers to where they can be messed up. I've learned to love my kindle; especially the 3G that I got - i can buy whatever I want, whenever and wherever I want it. it's awesome!

C.W. LaSart
07-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Ahh I live in the suburbs, everything is close, but the small bookstore is a bit of a rare beast.

Small town-very lucky that we have a book store at all, but there is a group of book lovers that got angry when waldon books closed and opened their own ;)

Dave1442397
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Books can only obtained through amazon, however there are a fair amount of things that are free on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fb%3Fie%3DUT F8%26node%3D2245146011%26ref_%3Damb_link_355831402 _5%23&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Actually, you can get books anywhere, in any format, and use Calibre e-book manager (calibre-ebook.com/) to convert them to Kindle format (or any other format you may need) and store them in your library. I find that very useful as I have a lot of older PDF and DOC format books from the early days of e-publishing. It's nice to get them all in one library where I have easy access to them.

Dan Hocker
07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Actually, you can get books anywhere, in any format, and use Calibre e-book manager (calibre-ebook.com/) to convert them to Kindle format (or any other format you may need) and store them in your library. I find that very useful as I have a lot of older PDF and DOC format books from the early days of e-publishing. It's nice to get them all in one library where I have easy access to them.

Yea, calibre doesn't work with a lot of the newer stuff though. I know both Amazon and Barnes and Nobel use DRM (Digital Rights Management) encoding on their stuff so it can only be read by their software. I'm sure Apple does the same.

Tito_Villa
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
The closest book shop to me is a 20min drive :( all of the local ones have been shutdown, but i will never switch to an electronic version.

TerryE
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Ahh I got ya. Brian and I where just commenting the other day on how we miss Borders Books, as they all closed up by where we live, and neither of us really like Barnes and Nobel. I never was a "mom and pop" store kind of guy though, I want the deal, and the bigger stores and online sellers will be able to give that to me sadly.

Dan, I really miss Border's too. I first discovered them in Rockville when I was starting to build up my library. Then when they built the store in Towson, I was in Heaven. I found books there that I couldn't find in the local libraries. It's sad that B&N won that little corporate battle.

Dan Hocker
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Dan, I really miss Border's too. I first discovered them in Rockville when I was starting to build up my library. Then when they built the store in Towson, I was in Heaven. I found books there that I couldn't find in the local libraries. It's sad that B&N won that little corporate battle.

They're not completely gone, just downsized big time. From what I understand though B&N aren't doing so well either, they just can't compete with Amazon.

srboone
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
The closest book shop to me is a 20min drive :( all of the local ones have been shutdown, but i will never switch to an electronic version.

Keep the faith Brother TV!:D

Borders downsized in my area and while there is a B&N in the area, the neares Borders is 30 mins from me. :(

jester05jk
07-12-2011, 02:06 AM
They're not completely gone, just downsized big time. From what I understand though B&N aren't doing so well either, they just can't compete with Amazon.

I don't like the B & N by me. I've been there like 5 times trying to get the new Robert Jordan and the only copies they had were beat to all heck and back. It is nice finding some of their cheap "Bargain Books". I've gotten a few of King's firsts that way.

RJK1981
07-12-2011, 02:19 AM
I don't like B&N that much simply because they don't have a horror section, the authors are mixed in with other fiction authors and a lot of the smaller authors are not available. Luckily I have 3 Half Price books close to me, and at least 1 of the Borders by me is still open. At least until Borders closes down completely that is

srboone
07-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I preferred Borders for the same reason. I could always find a selection of Laymon, Ketchum and Little paperbacks there.

PaulB
07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
At least until Borders closes down completely that is

All of our Borders have now closed so it looks like all my purchases will by on line.

RJHubbard53
07-15-2011, 12:15 PM
another thing I like about the kindle - it is work-friendly. If you're sitting at your desk reading a book, especially fiction, with a flashy cover, people KNOW you're slacking off. However, if you're reading as Kindle, it almost looks as if you're doing somethign serious :)

Dave1442397
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Even better, download the Kindle app to your work pc. Then it looks as if you're just reading work-related documents :)

another thing I like about the kindle - it is work-friendly. If you're sitting at your desk reading a book, especially fiction, with a flashy cover, people KNOW you're slacking off. However, if you're reading as Kindle, it almost looks as if you're doing somethign serious :)

srboone
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
You guys are giving away all your secrets! I have enough problems with facebook and other media in the workplace.

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Tomorrow our eBook store will officially be "going live" but everything for the launch is now posted if you want to help us kick the tires!

* You can view all of our new eBooks and purchase them in this new section our website:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/CTGY/ebooks

* If you'd rather view and purchase our titles on Amazon for your Kindle, here is a short-cut link you should bookmark:

http://amzn.to/CDeBooksAmazon

* If you'd rather view and purchase our titles on Barnes & Noble for your Nook, here is a short-cut link you should bookmark:

http://bit.ly/CDeBooksBN

(Our titles will be showing up in the iBookstore from Apple soon. Let us know if there are other stores you want to see carrying our titles and we'll do what we can!)

* If you're new to eBooks and just want to get your feet wet, there are FREE applications (apps) that let you read Kindle and Nook files on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, etc:

http://amzn.to/FreeAmazonKindleApps

http://bit.ly/FreeNook

Please feel free to send us your feedback. There are a lot more eBooks to come and we're open to suggestions!

Brian

bsaenz24
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
The graphic is broken for Stephen King: The Non-Fiction (eBook) on http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/CTGY/ebooks

Dan Hocker
07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
The graphic is broken for Stephen King: The Non-Fiction (eBook) on http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/CTGY/ebooks

Either Brian was really fast and fixed it already, or it's just you Brad... :p

bsaenz24
07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Either Brian was really fast and fixed it already, or it's just you Brad... :p

It really must be me. LOL!! I still don't see that graphic in IE8 even when I try the "Show Picture". Weird.

Dan Hocker
07-19-2011, 03:52 PM
It really must be me. LOL!! I still don't see that graphic in IE8 even when I try the "Show Picture". Weird.

Let me look in IE8.

Dan Hocker
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Well it's not you Brad, it's IE. I sent Brian an email, I've had this issue with some other graphics before. IE can be a bit weird sometimes.

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
How about if you hit reload now? I tried changing one small thing, pretty much at random. ;) If that doesn't work, I'll create the file fresh and see if that helps! :)

Brian

RJHubbard53
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
good job, CD!! I think you should release all your new stuff as ebooks as well so I dont have to crack the spines of the hard copies :)

TerryE
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
good job, CD!! I think you should release all your new stuff as ebooks as well so I dont have to crack the spines of the hard copies :)

And speaking of that, is there any fiscal reason not to give an e-copy with the purchase of a hardback. You know, kinda how the BluRays and DVDs come with an digital copy now. I don't have dedicated e-reader yet, but have Kindle on my smartphone and I hate the idea of repurchasing stuff in my library just to have the copy with me.

Dan Hocker
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM
And speaking of that, is there any fiscal reason not to give an e-copy with the purchase of a hardback. You know, kinda how the BluRays and DVDs come with an digital copy now. I don't have dedicated e-reader yet, but have Kindle on my smartphone and I hate the idea of repurchasing stuff in my library just to have the copy with me.

It mostly has to do with the contracts that are held with the author's. That and it actually takes a fair bit of work to produce the e-version, where as the DVD producers just take a click a button to produce the digital version of the movie (I'm generalizing here). I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but at least for the moment it won't.

TerryE
07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Okay. Good explanation. And seeing that you have Dark Forces on your list, I just might have to put out the extra ten bucks for that. The Lonely Roads edition is to nice, and just too darn BIG to take out and read, and those stories are the kind of stuff you need everywhere you go.

jester05jk
07-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Okay. Good explanation. And seeing that you have Dark Forces on your list, I just might have to put out the extra ten bucks for that. The Lonely Roads edition is to nice, and just too darn BIG to take out and read, and those stories are the kind of stuff you need everywhere you go.

I'm about to list a bunch of books I'm selling and I have a pb first of Dark Forces...

TerryE
07-21-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm about to list a bunch of books I'm selling and I have a pb first of Dark Forces...

I had one of those that I got from the library back in '82 or '83. Of course the reason I had the library copy was that my dog ate half the cover and the first several pages of The Mist. I've since gotten a used hardback edition for the collection.

bsaenz24
07-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Of course the reason I had the library copy was that my dog ate half the cover and the first several pages of The Mist.

Sure!!! The old "I had that edition too, but my dog ate it!!!" ;) ;) LOL!!!

C.W. LaSart
07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Must've been a bulldog. My bully even eats rocks :/

TerryE
07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
No, he was a husky/collie mix. Beautiful dog, but he was dumb!

C.W. LaSart
07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
At least he was good looking-my bulldog is also exceptionally unattractive

RJK1981
07-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Beautiful dog, but he was dumb!

The sister of one of my old friends had an exceptionally stupid dog, lol. You could take one of his toys, like a ball or rope with ties on the ends, pretend to throw it and he would fall for it every single time. And when I threw the rope and it accidentally ended up on the roof the shed, he just circled the shed over and over looking for it

RJHubbard53
07-22-2011, 01:18 PM
The sister of one of my old friends had an exceptionally stupid dog, lol. You could take one of his toys, like a ball or rope with ties on the ends, pretend to throw it and he would fall for it every single time. And when I threw the rope and it accidentally ended up on the roof the shed, he just circled the shed over and over looking for it

one of the guys that works for me is like that. Except my 'ball and rope' is a hint of a non-existant article I need him to find on the internet; He'll spend all damn day looking for something that doesnt exist... great fun.

RJK1981
07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
He'll spend all damn day looking for something that doesnt exist... great fun.

That's hilarious! You'd think he'd figure out it didn't exist pretty quickly, but I guess not.

RJHubbard53
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
That's hilarious! You'd think he'd figure out it didn't exist pretty quickly, but I guess not.

you'd think so wouldnt you?

Randy D. Rubin
07-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Are you guys talking about Gilead, or Midworld, or Narnia, or Oz, Derry, Maine or Columbus, Ohio or some other places that don't really exist?

hamount
08-20-2011, 02:19 AM
I prefer to read regular books, though I don't have an ebook reader yet I'll probably end up getting one. I read too much to take enough books when I go on vacation.

Nicole Cushing
08-21-2011, 08:18 PM
I recently got a Kindle as a present. At first, I found the reading experience odd and off-putting -- it just didn't "feel" enough like reading a book. The reading experience just seemed "off" in some indescribable way. Then I went ahead and purchased a Kindle cover, and that makes all the difference. There are four snug elastic straps that keep the kindle itself in place, and the cover gives it much more of a "reading a book" tactile experience. For those curious, here's a link to the cover I purchased...(the one I got was brown, not pink, but it has a similar design) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/ (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004IPPQG6)

frik51
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Now I've got myself a kindle and I'm unable to buy King's Mile 81.
Amazon.com doesn't accept orders from my region, and neither does Amazon.co.uk.

sk

TerryE
08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, I finally got Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Edition in Kindle format for my smartphone. It's annoying to read on a screen that small, but it is great to have those stories with me everywhere I go, without carrying anything extra.

Siep, that really stinks about the story not being available to you. I would think it would be available from Amazon UK, especially since it's just across the channel/sea.

Brian James Freeman
08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I recently got a Kindle as a present. At first, I found the reading experience odd and off-putting -- it just didn't "feel" enough like reading a book. The reading experience just seemed "off" in some indescribable way. Then I went ahead and purchased a Kindle cover, and that makes all the difference. There are four snug elastic straps that keep the kindle itself in place, and the cover gives it much more of a "reading a book" tactile experience. For those curious, here's a link to the cover I purchased...(the one I got was brown, not pink, but it has a similar design) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/ (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPPQG6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=052379122979-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004IPPQG6)

Hey, that's a really cool looking Kindle cover!

Brian

Dan Hocker
08-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Now I've got myself a kindle and I'm unable to buy King's Mile 81.
Amazon.com doesn't accept orders from my region, and neither does Amazon.co.uk.

sk

I was going to ask about the German store, but then I checked and they don't have Mile 81. I did however find a link that might help though.

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/09/02/international-kindle-avoid-extra-fee-save/

frik51
08-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey, Dan, that looks good.
I'll give it a try!!
Thanks!!

sk

Nicole Cushing
08-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Hey, that's a really cool looking Kindle cover!

Brian

Thanks...I really, really love it. It really does make all the difference in the world.

Nicole Cushing
08-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Last night I purchased the ebook of Dark Forces (I hadn't heard of it before, but it was mentioned as a "landmark anthology" by Datlow in the Introduction to her antho., Darkness, so I grabbed it). Read the Sturgeon story first (because I hadn't read Sturgeon, and his stories are coming out in these sort-of-expensive hardcover editions). Looking forward to reading T.E.D. Klein next.

Nicole

gsconquest
08-25-2011, 01:04 AM
I definitely prefer physical books to e-books. It has been said before but there is just something about the physical layout of the book that I prefer. That being said, having an e-reader has allowed me to discover authors that I would not have otherwise. It is a less risky investment to pay a few dollars for the e-book than to take a chance and spring for the limited. If I like the story I can always go back and purchase the physical book later.

Mr. Rice
09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I have the Kindle app on my Droid. I download free stuff from Amazon all the time, but I've also purchased a couple titles. You can't beat it for convenience. I'll always buy books (next purchase is the last title in the Repairman Jack series), but I just can't beat the convenience of having something to read no matter where I am right on my phone.