PDA

View Full Version : The Strain: The Deluxe Special Edition

Dan Hocker
04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/thestrain/thestrain.gif
Featuring twenty ORIGINAL illustrations by acclaimed comic artist/director Troy Nixey

Forthcoming / Sold Out

A Note About This Special Project:
Guillermo del Toro, the visionary creator of the Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth, and Chuck Hogan, a Hammett Award-winning author, have brought their imaginations to this series of bold, epic novels about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity. The Strain is the first installment in this thrilling trilogy and an extraordinary international publishing event, and The Strain: The Deluxe Special Edition from Lonely Road Books is being designed with the ultimate book collectors in mind.

About the Book:
They have always been here: Vampires.

In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone.

In one month, the country.

In two months the world...

About this Special Edition:
With an oversized page size, an extremely low print run, and an "old world" design to resemble an ancient volume, this special edition will feature a high-quality paper stock and a deluxe binding selected from the finest materials available. This special edition will feature 20 original illustrations by acclaimed comic artist and film director Troy Nixey. This stunning special edition will be like no other book in your collection. Per the policies of Lonely Road Books, customers who buy this volume will have the first opportunity to reserve the next volume in the series.

Limitation Information:
Limited Edition: 474 deluxe copies signed by the authors, bound in a deluxe material, and housed in a custom-made slipcase ($175)

Lettered Edition: 26 deluxe copies signed by the authors with all the special features of the Limited Edition, plus a different type of high quality binding and housed in a custom hand-made deluxe traycase ($750)

vampduster
05-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Very much looking forward to the Limited. The illustrations you guys posted are outstanding.

Brian James Freeman
05-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks! It's coming along nicely. I should have another production update in May about the signature sheets, which are making good progress!

Brian

bsaenz24
05-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey Brian,

Do you have a rough idea when the next two books in the trilogy will be released relative to the first? A year apart? Two?

Also, have you decided if the two remaining books of the trilogy will be the next 2 LRB titles or will something be coming between those other titles?

Brian James Freeman
05-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Hey Brian,

Do you have a rough idea when the next two books in the trilogy will be released relative to the first? A year apart? Two?

Probably less than a year if all goes as planned. Troy is already working on the artwork for the second book, and I'm hoping he and the authors will have time in their extremely busy schedules to sign signature sheets for it by the time the first book is published later this year.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Also, have you decided if the two remaining books of the trilogy will be the next 2 LRB titles or will something be coming between those other titles?

There are a few possible future projects in discussions, but right now I'm pretty focused on this trilogy and making these special editions everything they can be! :)

Brian

frik51
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I ordered the limited edition.
Does that mean I automatically qualify for the second and third part of this trilogy?
Same number?

sk

Brian James Freeman
05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I ordered the limited edition.
Does that mean I automatically qualify for the second and third part of this trilogy?
Same number?

sk

Yep, anyone who ordered the first book will have first shot at ordering the second so you can get a matching number, etc, etc.

Brian

frik51
05-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Great!

sk

folgersnyourcup
05-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Yeesh, I need to stop getting here late after all these amazing books sell out!!

calason
05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I really enjoyed this story. I'm always up for different takes on vampires. And, after getting the Blockade Billy limited ed. I'm truly looking forward to this one.

srboone
05-17-2011, 09:40 AM
yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh....I missed out on this one. I had the chance, but I declined. I console myself by telling myself that it was either "The Strain" or "The Secretary of Dreams vols. 1&2." At least there was a trade hardcover.

bsaenz24
05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh....I missed out on this one. I had the chance, but I declined. I console myself by telling myself that it was either "The Strain" or "The Secretary of Dreams vols. 1&2." At least there was a trade hardcover.

I don't think you could have made a mistake picking either one.

chrisk
05-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I've been reading the standard edition of this book and really enjoying the story - can't wait to see what LRB does with this edition. The "old world" style book has me intrigued...!

frik51
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
The Fall has been out for sometime now.
Any idea when we'll be able to order the limited edition, Dan?

sk

bsaenz24
05-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I would guess order will be taken around or after the shipping of The Strain.

aihutch
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Bad Moon Books is selling it as a pre-order $10 over the list price. I ordered a copy from them and was also able to get the Limited Edition of Full Dark No Stars from them back in April for only $5 over the list price.

bsaenz24
05-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah, you really need to be quick with Lonely Road Books because I believe they have all sold out very quickly after announcement, but the good thing is I believe you get first rights of refusal on the next book if you own the last. Plus they're all absolutely beautiful books and I only have the limiteds!!!

Dan Hocker
05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah, you really need to be quick with Lonely Road Books because I believe they have all sold out very quickly after announcement, but the good thing is I believe you get first rights of refusal on the next book if you own the last. Plus they're all absolutely beautiful books and I only have the limiteds!!!

We offer the new books to the people who bought the last one first. But you only get that first shot if you but it from us I believe. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not 100% sure.

Brian James Freeman
06-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Yep, customers who ordered the pervious book via the Cemetery Dance store get first crack at the next book.

The Fall won't be announced until The Strain is at the printer at the earliest. Sometimes timing is dictated by outside forces -- for example, the person or company the rights were licensed from -- but my personal preference would be to wait until the collectors who ordered The Strain have it in their hands so they can really see what these editions are going to look like.

Brian

Justin Case
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Can't wait for this one;)

bsaenz24
08-12-2011, 05:16 PM
From LRB on FaceBook:

The signature sheets for THE STRAIN are now back and signed by all of the contributors, and the book is undergoing one last proofread before we send to the printer. Once the printer is rolling, we'll have a good idea of the final publication date. We will be publishing matching limited editions of the other books in the trilogy -- Troy Nixey has already started on the artwork -- and customers who ordered The Strain will get first shot at matching numbers/letters.

Brian James Freeman
08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
You beat me here, Brad! :)

bsaenz24
08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
You beat me here, Brad! :)

Just trying to free up your time to think of new books to publish!! LOL!!

RJK1981
08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Very nice, can't wait to see pictures of the book since I didn't order this one for a couple reasons, such as not knowing about it before it was sold out. That, and money would have most likely prevented it at the time. Definitely something I'll have to try and get a hold of at some point if I am able to. I've got a wedding and birthday coming up soon, hint hint lol ;);):cool:

srboone
08-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, paper (books) is the traditional 1st anniversary gift and leather (bound books) is the traditional 5th anniversary gift...:rolleyes:

Ben Staad
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I missed out on this one too. I'm sure the quality of this production will be awesome. Can't wait to see what this one looks like.

frik51
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
From LRB on FaceBook:

The signature sheets for THE STRAIN are now back and signed by all of the contributors, and the book is undergoing one last proofread before we send to the printer. Once the printer is rolling, we'll have a good idea of the final publication date.

This is about four months ago.
Update anyone??
(Just can't wait for this book!!!)

sk

Dan Hocker
08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I just saw today's newsletter, there will be some production updates in there, but I don't think this is one of them. I'll point Brian here to see what he can tell ya.

Brian James Freeman
08-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Should be going to the printer by the end of September if all goes well!

frik51
08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Brian (and Dan).

sk

chrisk
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Brian, just wondering how this one was going?

Brian James Freeman
11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Oops, I never did post an update here, did I? The book is rolling along at the printer and should be done in early January. The slipcase maker is working on the "approval" case and we're also waiting on a stamping sample to make sure the material will "accept" the Hot Foil stamping cleanly. I hope to have the slipcases by February 1st.

Brian

chrisk
11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks Brian

Dan Hocker
02-17-2012, 10:10 PM
http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/thestrain/photos.html

srboone
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
<sigh> that'll teach me to pass on something..twice!:(

Martin
02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
I did not order this one but that is one beautiful book.

Brian James Freeman
02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I lack the skills to properly photograph this book, but Mindy did a pretty good job. :) Shipping isn't going to start right away because there's a few days worth of paperwork to do first, but the Limited Edition will be shipping by the end of next week. (Lettered Editions should be shipping in about two months, hopefully less.)

Brian

Grant Wootton
02-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Awesome production indeed - cannot wait to receive the shipping notice that mine is one the way !!!!! :cool:

peteOcha
02-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Wow! That looks freaking awesome!! Totally should have sold that kidney, would have been worth it!

bstee
02-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Been patient for a long time on this one and it sounds like the wait was worth it. Interesting that someone already has listed this on Ebay and says they have five copies. Since it hasn't shipped yet I wonder how they are ale to sell it? I will be happy with my one. Also, not knocking anyone but the listing also says that anyone who buys has the "rights" to the next two in the series. I may be mistaken but I thought that just applie to us (we?) who bought directly, I didn't think those rights transfere to a third party? Anyway...looking froward to this. And, it looks like there are a lot of of "our" type of stuff listed right now on Ebay. Not sure but it looks like different sellers. Maybe it is tax season but there seem to be some bargains.

bsaenz24
02-18-2012, 03:35 AM
I LOVE my LRB collection and this is going to be an outstanding addition.Thanks for the efforts Brian. It's easy to see the love of books you put into each LRB production!!

Brian James Freeman
02-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Also, not knocking anyone but the listing also says that anyone who buys has the "rights" to the next two in the series. I may be mistaken but I thought that just applie to us (we?) who bought directly, I didn't think those rights transfere to a third party?

You are correct. Cemetery Dance can only guarantee matching numbers/letters on Lonely Road Books titles that are bought directly from CD. Retailers only get the same number/letters if they request them, for example, which they can do (but many don't bother unless a customer asks them to).

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-18-2012, 03:54 AM
I LOVE my LRB collection and this is going to be an outstanding addition.Thanks for the efforts Brian. It's easy to see the love of books you put into each LRB production!!

Thanks, Brad!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Been patient for a long time on this one and it sounds like the wait was worth it. Interesting that someone already has listed this on Ebay and says they have five copies. Since it hasn't shipped yet I wonder how they are ale to sell it?

Two things that might be helpful:

1) I believe eBay allows you to "presell" items up to 30 days before publication, although it's been a long time since I've looked at those rules. Someone else might be able to confirm.

2) I looked up that auction and I am 99% sure that the seller is indeed a Lonely Road Books retailer, who will definitely be getting 5 copies.

Hope that helps!

Brian

RJK1981
02-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Looks great, wish I could have justified spending the money on that when I got the email about there being a few copies left not too long ago

peteOcha
02-20-2012, 10:31 PM
after seeing the pictures of this book, I really regret not getting a copy! It looks fantastic, well done Brian!

bookworm 1
02-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Me too:(oh well I am getting The Exorcist at least.Very nice looking book Brian.
after seeing the pictures of this book, I really regret not getting a copy! It looks fantastic, well done Brian!

Brian James Freeman
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Retailers who ordered copies include:

Camelot Books
Mythos
Ziesing
Overlook Connection
Bad Moon Books
Dark Hollow Books
Larry Roberts

Try dropping them a line in case they didn't offer their copies yet!

Brian

zachip
02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
You are correct. Cemetery Dance can only guarantee matching numbers/letters on Lonely Road Books titles that are bought directly from CD. Retailers only get the same number/letters if they request them, for example, which they can do (but many don't bother unless a customer asks them to).

Brian

so if i missed it and i bought it from other source with a number.
why i can't matched it?
i doesn't make sense.

Brian James Freeman
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
so if i missed it and i bought it from other source with a number.
why i can't matched it?
i doesn't make sense.

The only way to get the number is if the person who got it last time passes on the next book. If they order the next book, they can request that number again and you'll need to buy the book from them to have the same number.

Brian

bookworm 1
02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Checked camelot and overlook no copies available.:(Oh well must move on to the next collectable.The hunt continues
Thanks, everyone!

Retailers who ordered copies include:

Camelot Books
Mythos
Ziesing
Overlook Connection
Bad Moon Books
Dark Hollow Books
Larry Roberts

Try dropping them a line in case they didn't offer their copies yet!

Brian

srboone
02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Camelot won't announce it until they actually get it. They did mention it a few months ago in their new letter tho. Email them about it.

bookworm 1
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
There you go again spending my hard earned mony for me.Doyou work for Brian now:)
Camelot won't announce it until they actually get it. They did mention it a few months ago in their new letter tho. Email them about it.

srboone
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Shhhh.......................:D

bsaenz24
02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
WOW!!! I just received my copy of The Strain and it is absolutely outstanding!! A beautiful volume from the slipcase clean through to the last page. LRB has done it again! Bravo and a huge thank you to all involved!! I would encourage anyone who missed it to track one down. Based on this first volume, I think the trilogy is going to be one of the highlights of any library.

Dan Hocker
02-24-2012, 08:22 PM
WOW!!! I just received my copy of The Strain and it is absolutely outstanding!! A beautiful volume from the slipcase clean through to the last page. LRB has done it again! Bravo and a huge thank you to all involved!! I would encourage anyone who missed it to track one down. Based on this first volume, I think the trilogy is going to be one og the highlights of any library.

Glad you like it Brad. I know we're all really happy with how it came out. I know I'm happy to have one sitting on my self at home.

Brian James Freeman
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
WOW!!! I just received my copy of The Strain and it is absolutely outstanding!! A beautiful volume from the slipcase clean through to the last page. LRB has done it again! Bravo and a huge thank you to all involved!! I would encourage anyone who missed it to track one down. Based on this first volume, I think the trilogy is going to be one of the highlights of any library.

Thanks, Brad! I'm really pleased with how the book turned out.

Brian

Grant Wootton
02-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Awwwrighhhhttt - mine's on the way across the ocean (doing the Dance of 1,000 Critters right now) :p

Hedda Gabler
02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Glad you like it Brad. I know we're all really happy with how it came out. I know I'm happy to have one sitting on my self at home.

Oooookay. That feels pretty good, huh? Most people put them on their shelves. ;)

Jeffsta
02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Just received my copy #17 today and I gotta say it's the most beautiful looking LRB book to date IMO! Absolutely gorgeous, thanks Brian and CD.

Grant Wootton
02-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Oooookay. That feels pretty good, huh? Most people put them on their shelves. ;)

Kinky, Dan, vvveerrryyy kinky :o

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Just received my copy #17 today and I gotta say it's the most beautiful looking LRB book to date IMO! Absolutely gorgeous, thanks Brian and CD.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how this one turned out.

Brian

peteOcha
02-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Hard to say what that will do to the resale value... You never know... :)

Hedda Gabler
02-26-2012, 02:06 AM
hoheaoheohaohaeae!!

Brian James Freeman
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm really thrilled with the feedback on the book so far. I have to say, this email I received in December has been in the back of my mind, so the positive feedback is very heartening:

Hi Folks, I do not normally do this, but I just saw what you are proposing as
the covers for this book.

I am very disappointed. It will devalue the book, it literally looks
like pavement pizza, I'm going to cry, I buy these books because they
are usually works of art, but this ...

Can you go back to the black cover with the red writing, anything
would be better than what you have on the website. I can't believe it,
I am in shock. Blech!

Heartbroken
Kim

peteOcha
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Kim has really bad taste! The book looks freaking great!

bsaenz24
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
mmmmmmmm pizza....

bsaenz24
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Actually, Brian should have sent a pizza with the book. Now THAT would have been perfect!!

Grant Wootton
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
A trip to the optometrist for poor Kim is the advised course of action :p Seriously, this book, and its presentation is a work of freaking art !!!! :cool:

peteOcha
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
mmmmmmmm pizza....

Pepperoni and mushrooms! That would have sealed the deal for me! :)

srboone
02-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Don't forgert the anchovies! (on my half anyway...:o)

Hedda Gabler
02-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I'll take anchovies too!

Grant Wootton
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Nom, nom, nom :D

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Man, lunch is still 2 hours away and now I REALLY want a pizza! Thanks, guys! ;)

Brian

TerryE
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Did you get it from the Hut, or that Italian looking place right next to it?

Brian James Freeman
02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Did you get it from the Hut, or that Italian looking place right next to it?

Haven't been back to that particular Pizza Hut in a LONG time, the service is always terrible, unfortunately. Funny, true story: we walked in there one day and the older woman who had just taken a phone order yelled to the staff (loud enough for everyone in the restaurant to hear): "And he doesn't want any f---ing olives this time!!!" ;)

The Italian place has some really great food (especially their awesome soup!), but those lunches would get expensive real fast -- plus it's a nice sit down restaurant and we usually grab our food and run! I think Dan once took a 15 minute lunch break when he was slacking off, though. ;)

What surprised me when I moved to Maryland, at least this part of Maryland, is HOW MANY pizza places there are. This area is a veritable cornucopia of pizza joints!

Brian

TerryE
02-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Yes there are. There's a moon bounce place back there behind that Italian place, and we went there one time for a birthday party. The hosts got pizza from that Italian place and it was pretty darn good.

Dan Hocker
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Ugg not the pizza hut..... What should have been a 25 min lunch took nearly an hour because of how slow they where. They brought my food once and still hadn't brought the drinks...

bsaenz24
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey Brian, maybe the customer the older woman had been talking to was the same person who didn't like the design for The Strain. Maybe they were having an olive flashback from the Strain pictures.

RJK1981
02-28-2012, 10:27 PM
What surprised me when I moved to Maryland, at least this part of Maryland, is HOW MANY pizza places there are. This area is a veritable cornucopia of pizza joints!

Is that like Washington state and coffee shops? There were little coffee huts in parking lots there!

peteOcha
02-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I think Brad may be on to something here! Who woulda thought, it was the olives that were responsible all along...

Grant Wootton
02-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Silence of The Olive :confused:

bsaenz24
02-29-2012, 02:33 AM
"It puts the olive in the martini. It does this whenever it's told!"

zachip
02-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Brian, any timeline for releasing the other 2 volumes, or we needs to wait 5 years to complete the trilogy. is it in production?

bstee
03-01-2012, 12:11 AM
The UPS truck just left. I had five different books ready for delivery but was hoping this was the one and it was. Wow, I am impressed. I collect signed limiteds from many different publishers and many different genres but Cemetary Dance/Lonely Road has me spoiled now. My last book was the signed/limited IT, now The Strain...I'm telling you there just is no competition. I am looking at Subterranian Press as well. But I have to say this beats what I was expecting back when I ordered...now let's see parts 2 and 3.

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Brian, any timeline for releasing the other 2 volumes, or we needs to wait 5 years to complete the trilogy. is it in production?

The Fall should be out this fall/winter. The interior artwork for The Night Eternal just arrived today, so we're aiming for spring 2013.

Brian

bsaenz24
03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
The Fall should be out this fall/winter. The interior artwork for The Night Eternal just arrived today, so we're aiming for spring 2013.

Brian

That would be fantastic!!!

Grant Wootton
03-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Great news Brian, if the production on these two is anything like The Strain, it'll be a winner for sure :cool:

bsaenz24
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Hey Brian, I think for The Fall, you should go with more of a "linguini with white clam sauce" theme to compliment the "payment pizza"!! LOL!!

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey Brian, I think for The Fall, you should go with more of a "linguini with white clam sauce" theme to compliment the "payment pizza"!! LOL!!

HA!

bookworm 1
03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Did she cancel her order?Or did she still keep the book.
Hey guys, I'm really thrilled with the feedback on the book so far. I have to say, this email I received in December has been in the back of my mind, so the positive feedback is very heartening:

Brian James Freeman
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Did she cancel her order?Or did she still keep the book.

She kept her order. I sent her a link to the photos a few weeks back, so she could see how the book turned out (and have one more chance to cancel her order before the book shipped so she could save herself the return postage if she hated it), but I never heard back.

Brian

bsaenz24
03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
I think for the next volume, you should put up a picture of Count Chocula and say that's the cover!!

peteOcha
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Or some checkered flannel pajamas and say that they'll be used as material for the binding! :)

Brian James Freeman
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I received the prototype for The Strain Lettered Edition case this morning. It looks and feels great, but there were a few things I asked him to tweak to make it just a little nicer. He has to order some materials, but as long as his supplier doesn't take too long to ship that order, this Lettered Edition should be completed and shipping by the end of April. I'll post a note when I know for sure.

Brian

LoStAlIvE
03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
I received the prototype for The Strain Lettered Edition case this morning. It looks and feels great, but there were a few things I asked him to tweak to make it just a little nicer. He has to order some materials, but as long as his supplier doesn't take too long to ship that order, this Lettered Edition should be completed and shipping by the end of April. I'll post a note when I know for sure.

Brian

I would love to see some pictures of the Lettered Edition when it is finished. I bet it looks really nice.

Brian James Freeman
03-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I would love to see some pictures of the Lettered Edition when it is finished. I bet it looks really nice.

Will do!

LoStAlIvE
04-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Brian are you going to keep all three of the books identical such as the slipcase and the book boards?

bsaenz24
04-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Brian are you going to keep all three of the books identical such as the slipcase and the book boards?

Hopefully, the three volumes will compliment each other design-wise, but not be identical.

frik51
04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I bet they will!

sk

Brian James Freeman
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM

All three will have a similar style -- the scheme for the binding and stamping, etc, will be similar, for example, although the stamping itself will be a little different for each book to match the design of the book's signature sheets and the title page, etc.

Brian

Joe315
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Just got mine in the mail and it is awesome. Can't wait for the next two.

berthaknight
01-25-2018, 09:27 AM
The Strain is something that is thrilling and extraordinary! I'll have the first opportunity to reserve the next volume in the series!