PDA

View Full Version : Your Bookmark....

peteOcha
06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
So, what do you use as a bookmark? I usually grab whatever is close by. Old movie ticket stubs work pretty well. I like to change the bookmark I'm using every 2-3 books. Old Magic The Gathering cards, the receipt for the book I just bought...

Unless I'm reading a limited with a satin bookmark included, then I just use that.

Post pics if you have a really unique bookmark.

srboone
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I have around 300 unsused book plates from easton press; i usually grab one of those. I actually don't like the satin bookmarks. I never use them; I just let them stay placed wher they come

bsaenz24
06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
My wife always makes me bookmarks as part of Father's Day. Pics of the kids and some quote and then has it laminated.

peteOcha
06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
My wife always makes me bookmarks as part of Father's Day. Pics of the pics and some quote and then has it laminated.

Nice! Gotta get mine to do that as well.

bsaenz24
06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice! Gotta get mine to do that as well.

If she does it, as a suggestion, I have my wife mafe one extra for each kid and I keep those on the side for them when they are older. We usually use pictures since the last Father's Day, so you can see their growth through the bookmarks.

RJK1981
06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I sometimes use receipts, but lately, depending the book size I use either a bookmark from Half Price Books (The ones they sometimes stick in your bag when you buy stuff, not one you purchase), and sometimes I use little strip from Netflix mailers that you take off to send the movie back, lol

Martin
06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I always get a bookmark or two as Christmas stocking stuffers. I have several different ones. I still have several of the old bookmarks CD used to include with a book purchase, I really like those.

peteOcha
06-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I always get a bookmark or two as Christmas stocking stuffers. I have several different ones. I still have several of the old bookmarks CD used to include with a book purchase, I really like those.

Cool, would be nice if they stared doing that again... /cough cough* :)

cdfan
06-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Cool, would be nice if they stared doing that again... /cough cough* :)

I second that cough. It'd be nice to see a CD bookmark offered as part of a promotion or grab bag.

As for bookmarks themselves, I don't think I've ever had to buy one, I've gained quite a collection from stores putting free ones in the bag with my purchase. I just grab one and use it as needed.

I do have a specific Superman one(also free) that is longer than usual that I use for my graphic novels.

Tree705
06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I use duplicate art collector card, I haven't bought any in years but I still have a huge stack to use.

pixie
06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
I use a bookmark that was from a The Dark Tower Comic promotion. I think it was promoting The Long Road Home.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2m4axbq.jpg

folgersnyourcup
06-09-2011, 01:31 AM
I use anything and everything. Torn bits of notebook paper, tissues, napkins, candy bar wrappers, a potato chip, part of a cheeto, piece of cat fur, dirt, etc., whatever happens to be nearby on my floor. Some of those are made up.

Dan Hocker
06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
I use anything and everything. Torn bits of notebook paper, tissues, napkins, candy bar wrappers, a potato chip, part of a cheeto, piece of cat fur, dirt, etc., whatever happens to be nearby on my floor. Some of those are made up.

Lol, I would hope you're not using cheeto's. That would totally ruin the book. :p

folgersnyourcup
06-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Lol, I would hope you're not using cheeto's. That would totally ruin the book. :p

Nah, adds character. Goes well when reading "Firestarter". Gives the pages somewhat of a fire-burned look. I've got a signed by me paperback copy of "Firestarter" for sale pre- fire-burned, 50 bucks and its yours.

jester05jk
06-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I've got a decent stack of bookmarks. My mom sends me one for my bday and xmas every year since I was like 10 and freebies from bookstores/online sites. Normally end up using the one from horroryearbook.com

srboone
06-09-2011, 05:30 AM
The limited edition of Under The Dome came with a set of 28 character cards. They would make nice bookmarks. Haven't tried them out, tho.

Eldritch
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I use my old Disney World tickets.

Untitled
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I've got a stack of postcards I've picked up for a few cents each over the years. I try to pick one that somehow goes with what I'm reading, thematically speaking, and use that.

the_last_gunslinger
06-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I've got several bookmarks that I use, since I'm generally in the middle of multiple readings. I've got a Stephen King one that I won as part of my participation in the SK Trivia group on King's official message forum, my sister bought me a metal bookmark for Christmas that hooks over the spine and has a curved stem upon which is written, "Literature is Write On!" It also came with three interchangeable charms that dangle off the hook: a quill pen, a jar of ink and an open book. I also have a couple from a book store in Mackinaw City, and of course all of my Easton Press books come with Satin markers, which I absolutely love.

lilbirdy
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Lol! Me too! I have a beautiful collection of bookmarks, but I just grab something nearby to shove into the book!

PaulB
06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I have a metal book mark which has seen me through 25 years worth of books.

ozmosis7
06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Well, since I had about 250 bookmarks printed up for my book, I have an abundance of those laying around to use LOL.

Arkadia
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
After 16 years of abundant reading (hey, I'm only 21!), I've never managed to pick up the habit of using bookmarks. When I was really young I would fold the corner of the page (cringe) but now I just 'feel' for the last page I had open, or skim the book quickly until I find the part I was up to. Not the most efficient way of doing things, I'll be the first to admit!

hamount
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Me too. Gum wrappers work excellently. Though dirt doesn't seem like it'd be the most effective book mark.

Dave1442397
06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
It depends on how many books I'm reading at the moment. I usually just remember the page number of the one I'm trying to read first, and for my CD books I end up using the order receipt as a bookmark. I have at least three books of short stories I keep picking up and reading one or two stories before bouncing back to a novel. My to-read stack is so bad right now that I haven't been to the library in months.

frik51
06-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Me too. Gum wrappers work excellently.

You could also use the gum itself! :)

sk

larryki
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I read 6-10 books (mostly hardback) at once and I use the CD booksmarks they gave out way back when. They are a little big for PB so I have a couple smaller laminated ones.

hamount
06-15-2011, 08:49 PM
You could also use the gum itself! :)

sk

Very true. :P

Shiney
06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I use a groovy business card from a local candy store. They fresh roast peanuts and they have an old timey circus elephant on the card, I dig it.

My mother always said if you need a bookmark to remember your place then the book is hardly worth reading...

I must read volumes and volumes of rubbish then. :)

Craig Wallwork
06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I have memorise each page number because I have this weird OCD thing going on with books that means I can't run the potential risk of damging the book, even with a bookmark. I hate cracking the spine, and sometimes have a reading copy and a normal copy in mint condition that is normally packed away in bublle-wrap and stored in a box. Even the reading copy is in fine condition. I once read a book wearing latex gloves. All the Beauty Sinners by Stephen Graham Jones. So yeah, no bookmarks, just memory. Kindle is easier.

jmcraven
06-22-2011, 03:45 AM
I use a homemade Dexter bookmark usually. However, sticky notes foled in hafl and bookstore receipts work well for me, too.

peteOcha
06-22-2011, 07:43 AM
I have memorise each page number because I have this weird OCD thing going on with books that means I can't run the potential risk of damging the book, even with a bookmark. I hate cracking the spine, and sometimes have a reading copy and a normal copy in mint condition that is normally packed away in bublle-wrap and stored in a box. Even the reading copy is in fine condition. I once read a book wearing latex gloves. All the Beauty Sinners by Stephen Graham Jones. So yeah, no bookmarks, just memory. Kindle is easier.

Latex gloves...?! Too risky!! They sometimes have a white powder residue that can smudge the book!

Slee1978
06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I hate to admit it, but I fold th e pages

frik51
06-28-2011, 04:10 AM
I hate to admit it, but I fold th e pages

Ban, ban!!!!

:p

sk

thelion
06-28-2011, 05:54 AM
For some large series of books I have specialized bookmarks I use specific to the series (e.g. Discworld, Star Wars, Dark Tower). However, I usually just use a standard paper bookmark from booksellers and such for most books.

hamount
08-18-2011, 11:05 PM

You sound like my brother, he hates any damage being done to any book.

Mac Campbell
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Usually it's the book receipt. Yes, that's pathetic, I know.

I think you could make some money by making a bookmark that is either fake bloody finger, or a Cthulhu head sticking up from your book. Cthulhu seems to be becoming a minor meme.

Ben Staad
08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Not very interesting but I use whatever is laying around. I like to use actual bookmarks but a business card or a receipt works just as well.

TerryE
08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I just saw a co-worker today using a piece of toilet paper for a bookmark. That's just wrong!

ozmosis7
08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
LOL, nice!

bsaenz24
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I just saw a co-worker today using a piece of toilet paper for a bookmark. That's just wrong!

Maybe it was a shitty book. (I know, step away from the keyboard).

Dan Hocker
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Oh man Brad, that was a terrible joke. I laughed non-the-less though.

TerryE
08-23-2011, 03:27 AM

No! It was "In Cold Blood". Even more of an injustice.

srboone
01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Took me forever to find this thread, but I knew it was here somewhere...

This came with my last package from Nightshade. (I think it's a sticker.)

This is my current bookmark.

RJK1981
01-22-2013, 12:15 AM
My current bookmark is the stuff they give out at Half Price Books. I've gotten several and know I'll get more, so I'll probably go with that for a while. Forgot all about this thread, lol

Teriw
01-22-2013, 01:30 AM
My last bookmark was a Card I got from my landlord. IT was a thank you card and I don't remember what for. It's still tucked in one of my books somewhere...prob The Bachman books or Insomnia cuz I never finished Either one.

TJCams
01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
I use the cheap little purple paper bookmark you get when you purchase a book at Chapters. :) Used to use anything from a cheap thin plastic rule, sticky note, even been known to use an old hockey card (one with next to no value though).

peteOcha
01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
For the past past 6 or 7 months I've been using my US airways ticket.

Very cool sticker Squire!

Xiabei
01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I do have one of those "moving dragon" bookmarks that I got as a gift, but generally I just prefer a little piece of note paper, nice and flat. I used to be a dog-earer, but I've pretty much given that up.

Neiaushie79
01-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Mine is custom made and is a miniature platter of sliced roast beef surrounded by potatoes. It's fun to look at after reading about blood and guts. It's even scented. :o

Sabrina Morgan
01-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Mine is custom made and is a miniature platter of sliced roast beef surrounded by potatoes. It's fun to look at after reading about blood and guts. It's even scented. :o

That's Great.

Teriw
01-29-2013, 01:26 AM
I use the cheap little purple paper bookmark you get when you purchase a book at Chapters. :) Used to use anything from a cheap thin plastic rule, sticky note, even been known to use an old hockey card (one with next to no value though).

Must just be a chapters thing because Coles and Indigo have never given me a free bookmark and theyre the same company

Tommy
01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
years ago, I went with a friend to Wal-Mart to pick a paint color for his house but he was taking so long I gathered up a lot of the long ones with four different shades on them and carried them back, I didn't want to throw them away afterwards so I now use them as my bookmarks

theenormityofitall
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
My bookmarks are the cheap ones you get on ebay; a dozen dragon things for about 4 bucks from Asian sellers. Good buy.

mr.bones
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
i have 2. both hand carved. one is a tombstone the other a mouse head. going to carve a skull next. they sit above the book and have a stretch line that goes through the book

theenormityofitall
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I'd like to pick up some better, quality bookmarks but I'd end up losing them. Anyone here ever seen the Stephen King bookmarks on ebay?

Teriw
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
The Metal ones or the signed ones from years ago

theenormityofitall
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
The ones I got were just laminated. They had a pic of King and all his books.

Sabrina Morgan
02-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Took me forever to find this thread, but I knew it was here somewhere...

This came with my last package from Nightshade. (I think it's a sticker.)

This is my current bookmark.

I got this sticker with my copy of Chick Bassist. Kinda cool.

srboone
02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Funny thing is, I lost it! I'm always losing my book marks. It's in my reading room somwhere--maybe in the book I was reading at the time (which I don't remember which one it was), but I'm also always finding book marks that I've lost so it will probably turn up in a few months. :o

peteOcha
02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I do that all the time Squire. Then I find them in random places all over the house. Or sometimes the little guy just hides them somewhere.

paperdragon
02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I used to just remember the page, but moldy brain syndrome set in and I started using a book mark. Used to be toliet paper a lot of times since that was where I tended to start new books, I know, TMI. Now I use a playing card from a set of vintage nudie cards from the 60's.

Sabrina Morgan
03-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Rushing to make it to work on time, I just grabbed the first thing in my junk drawer to mark my spot in Sandman. When I opened it up on break, I thought of this thread and laughed to myself. It was an unused nicotine patch from the last time I quit smoking. :eek:

srboone
03-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Funny thing is, I lost it! I'm always losing my book marks. It's in my reading room somwhere--maybe in the book I was reading at the time (which I don't remember which one it was), but I'm also always finding book marks that I've lost so it will probably turn up in a few months. :o

I found it! it was lying in a box of old books I had gotten at a garage sale that I hadn't put up yet. (I'll look at few and then buy the whole box. It's like a grab bag then!) So I'm back to using my "Fear The Weird" sticker for a bookmark. :)

subie09lega
03-27-2013, 04:19 AM
A Motor Trend subscription insert. Kinda lame but I don't care if it gets lost and they're abundant. Years ago I used a Garfield bookmark, not sure what happened to it, might still be hiding in a box somewhere.

peteOcha
03-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Currently I'm using one I got with my last order from the Book Depository. Would love to have a CD bookmark though... :)

rusty23
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
My bookmark is a laminated picture of Foghorn Leghorn. :)

srboone
03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
OUT-I say-OUTSTANDING, SON! :)

paperdragon
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
;)

rusty23
03-29-2013, 12:55 PM

LOL

Theli
03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Normally a scrap piece of paper, or tissue, sometimes a magic card, or on the rare occasion a book mark.

Dan Hocker
06-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Here's my new bookmark.

TJCams
06-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Awesome Dan!!!! Awesome!

Theli
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm looking forward getting, using, then losing that book mark! Well maybe I am not looking forward to losing it, but it's inevitable.

srboone
06-13-2013, 07:07 PM
That's the truth. But I usually find mine months later and think "How did it end up there?" :rolleyes:

Teriw
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I dont use bookmarks. I used to use random pieces of paper, movie stubs, Ect. Now I just remember the page number. Sometime I forget but its never hard to find if you have an idea. That's when I read my books which is rare...but I've been reading Joyland since there is no ebook.

Dan Hocker
06-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I typically use a postit note or a playing card if I'm out of postit notes. Though 95% of the books I read these days are eBooks.

peteOcha
06-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Here's my new bookmark.

That's one hot looking bookmark!

ozmosis7
06-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Yes, it is.