Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling Angel Centipede News

I'm in on this!
    "Well, here might be some exciting news. For those of you who remember it, Falling Angel was a 1978 novel by William Hjortsberg. Widely acclaimed as one of the best horror novels of the 1970s, and probably one of the 20 best of the 20th century, it was an instant classic.
    Centipede Press published a handsome hardcover and paperback edition of this novel back in 2006. Now it is with extreme happiness and pride that we announce that we are publishing it again as a limited edition hardcover.
    However, this new edition will be part of a boxed set. For we have acquired the rights to the long-awaited sequel to Falling Angel. This sequel is Angel’s Inferno, and it was finished, with William Hjortsberg making annotations and changes to the manuscript, literally until the day he passed away.
    Centipede Press plans to have its edition published by next spring or summer, 2019. We are in the midst of working on the layout to the book, looking into artists, and looking into new introductions. Personally speaking, this is like a dream come true. I remember reading this book when I was 17, in 1986, when a new paperback edition had been published, and I remember being floored with just how awesome this novel was.
    My impression is that this novel made an impact on many other — perhaps many of you. I’d love to hear your comments and ideas on what such a box set should accomplish — presentation, extras, anything that comes to mind — so that this set of books can be published in a terrific box set. As always, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!"
    Great News!!

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I'm in on this!
    "Well, here might be some exciting news. For those of you who remember it, Falling Angel was a 1978 novel by William Hjortsberg. Widely acclaimed as one of the best horror novels of the 1970s, and probably one of the 20 best of the 20th century, it was an instant classic.
    Centipede Press published a handsome hardcover and paperback edition of this novel back in 2006. Now it is with extreme happiness and pride that we announce that we are publishing it again as a limited edition hardcover.
    However, this new edition will be part of a boxed set. For we have acquired the rights to the long-awaited sequel to Falling Angel. This sequel is Angel’s Inferno, and it was finished, with William Hjortsberg making annotations and changes to the manuscript, literally until the day he passed away.
    Centipede Press plans to have its edition published by next spring or summer, 2019. We are in the midst of working on the layout to the book, looking into artists, and looking into new introductions. Personally speaking, this is like a dream come true. I remember reading this book when I was 17, in 1986, when a new paperback edition had been published, and I remember being floored with just how awesome this novel was.
    My impression is that this novel made an impact on many other — perhaps many of you. I’d love to hear your comments and ideas on what such a box set should accomplish — presentation, extras, anything that comes to mind — so that this set of books can be published in a terrific box set. As always, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!"
    Great News!!
    I do not know much about the author or stories but I admit I am intrigued.

Comment

Oh Martin, you're in for a treat! One of the best Mystery/horror/Devil books ever written!!

Comment

Oh Martin, you're in for a treat! One of the best Mystery/horror/Devil books ever written!!
        I'll have to read it again. I have the e-book, but it's been a long time since i read it. It'd be nice to get the sequel in a box set!

Comment

I have the 1st-edition hardcover as well as the original Centipede signed/limited, so will likely skip this set. That said, the sequel holds a lot of obvious appeal...The email didn’t indicate if Jared has exclusive rights or not… I wonder if a mass-market trade edition will be coming out as well? That would be a nice option for me if he doesn’t sell the sequel volume by itself.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I’m absolutely in for this. Falling Angel doesn’t get talked about enough. The previous Centipede limited has been on my list to pick up for a while, but now with a sequel included...beyond sold.

Comment

You guys have me thinking seriously about this set. Will wait to see the particulars including price before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I have the 1st-edition hardcover as well as the original Centipede signed/limited, so will likely skip this set. That said, the sequel holds a lot of obvious appeal...The email didn’t indicate if Jared has exclusive rights or not… I wonder if a mass-market trade edition will be coming out as well? That would be a nice option for me if he doesn’t sell the sequel volume by itself.
                Hi Ron,
                Here's my copies!! I will be adding the new edition to my collection. I also have a nice Mass Market paperback somewhere.
                Falling Angel.JPG
                Last edited by mhatchett; 05-29-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Those are great, Mike...congrats on having the good taste to have 'em. My first-edition trade is really a stunning example...I looked a long time for one that didn't have any wear on the gold...very tough to find, but I finally got one that looks as-new as 'as-new' can be.

That ARC that you have shows something that I didn't realize...it looks like Jerad had the devil facing right initially to echo the trade 1st, but for some reason decided to transpose the art to face the left upon publication. Interesting.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Falling Angel sequel

I am beyond excited to read William Hjortsberg’s sequel to Falling Angel. I will buy this box set immediately and I hope to get the first one. Falling Angel is my favorite novel of all time. I read it when I was in high school, probably also about 17. It changed my life, inspired me to write, and just fascinated me beyond description. Here’s a post I recently wrote on my FB page when I learned William had passed away.

Today I found out my favorite author and biggest writing influence, William Hjortsberg passed away (apparently in April) at age 76 after battling pancreatic cancer. He wrote Falling Angel, the novel that was adapted into the film Angel Heart starring Mickey Rourke. He wrote the screenplay for Legend, the weird and great 1980's Ridley Scott film starring Tom Cruise. He also wrote a book called Gray Matters which I believe is the greatest science fiction novel ever written. Here's a personal story about William. My girlfriend Dusty knew how much I loved his work, so she contacted him via email on his website. He responded and offered to surprise me for my birthday by writing me a note and signing some books. A few years back on my birthday, I was astounded and delighted to receive a hand written letter from William, along with several signed books (Falling Angel, Gray Matters, and Alp). In his letter, he encouraged me to write and told me about what he was up to - he was living in the mountains of Montana, was shopping a new novel, Manana (which was published recently), and was working on a sequel to Falling Angel. I can't describe how touched and inspired I was by his kindness. The article I read today about his passing mentioned that his sequel to Falling Angel will be published next year. I'll be looking forward to a bittersweet journey into his mysterious and beautiful world of prose one more time. Thank you William Hjortsberg for your art, and for touching my life in such a magical way.

I'm in on this!
                    Great News!!
                    Last edited by Dan Hocker; 08-23-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

A reissue of Frankenstein and Dracula would be great with new illustrations and designs on the cover?

Comment

Originally posted by AByrnes23 View Post
                        I am beyond excited to read William Hjortsberg’s sequel to Falling Angel. I will buy this box set immediately and I hope to get the first one. Falling Angel is my favorite novel of all time. I read it when I was in high school, probably also about 17. It changed my life, inspired me to write, and just fascinated me beyond description. Here’s a post I recently wrote on my FB page when I learned William had passed away.

Today I found out my favorite author and biggest writing influence, William Hjortsberg passed away (apparently in April) at age 76 after battling pancreatic cancer. He wrote Falling Angel, the novel that was adapted into the film Angel Heart starring Mickey Rourke. He wrote the screenplay for Legend, the weird and great 1980's Ridley Scott film starring Tom Cruise. He also wrote a book called Gray Matters which I believe is the greatest science fiction novel ever written. Here's a personal story about William. My girlfriend Dusty knew how much I loved his work, so she contacted him via email on his website. He responded and offered to surprise me for my birthday by writing me a note and signing some books. A few years back on my birthday, I was astounded and delighted to receive a hand written letter from William, along with several signed books (Falling Angel, Gray Matters, and Alp). In his letter, he encouraged me to write and told me about what he was up to - he was living in the mountains of Montana, was shopping a new novel, Manana (which was published recently), and was working on a sequel to Falling Angel. I can't describe how touched and inspired I was by his kindness. The article I read today about his passing mentioned that his sequel to Falling Angel will be published next year. I'll be looking forward to a bittersweet journey into his mysterious and beautiful world of prose one more time. Thank you William Hjortsberg for your art, and for touching my life in such a magical way.
                        Thanks for sharing a great story!!

Comment

Working...
                        X