PDA

View Full Version : Little Book Series 3

Pages : [1] 2

slayn666
03-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Tom Monteleone has announced that Borderlands will be doing a third series of Little Books, starting with A Little Gray Book of Shadows by William F. Nolan.

Perhaps of more interest to the folks here, one of the authors Borderlands is in negotiations with for this series is Stephen King. After the absolute fiasco that was the Joe Hill Little Book release, it may be wise to bite the bullet and collect the whole of series 3. Worst case, you end up paying the usual price for a Stephen King limited edition because you bought the other 14 books, but judging by who is already committed and the other authors they're trying to land, I suspect buying the whole thing will be well worth it.

The full announcement from Tom:

NEWS FROM BORDERLANDS PRESS

One of our most popular ongoing projects has been our highly collectible "Little Books" Series which has now reached 30 titles with the long-sold-out Series I and the recently completed Series II.

(We recently saw a complete matched set of Series I selling at the World Fantasy Convention for $950.00!)

Our Little Book series has been a virtual Who's Who of writers of Dark Fantasy, Horror, and Suspense (many of whom have been awarded the HWA's Lifetime Achievement Award)—including Gary Braunbeck, Dennis Etchison, Neil Gaiman, Ray Garton, Rick Hautala, Joe Hill, Jack Ketchum, Joe Lansdale, Jonathan Maberry, Thomas F. Monteleone, David Morrell, David Schow, Peter Straub, Karl Wagner, and F. Paul Wilson.

We are currently assembling the roster of writers for Series III and have already signed Ramsey Campbell, Mort Castle, Richard Chizmar, Heather Graham, Charles L. Grant, Owen King, Josh Malerman, William F. Nolan, and Tim Waggoner. In the coming months, pending negotiations, we hope to announce the addition of writers such as Thomas Ligotti, Bentley Little, Gahan Wilson, Caitlyn Kiernan, and Stephen King.

If you wish to guarantee you acquire a complete matched set of Series III, be sure to pre-order the first Title below and send us a note indicating you would like reserve the same number for the entire Series. info@borderlandspress.com. Limited to 350 copies, all books are signed by the author (Charles Grant edition signed by the editor, Kathryn Ptacek), and we expect the series to sell out completely . . . . so don't delay!

Brian861
03-12-2018, 03:50 PM
I went ahead and jumped on board. I honestly don't believe a signed King book will sell for $30 though.

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
I jumped in as well. And told them I need the same number for the duration. Another long-term impulse buy.

Brian861
03-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Guy on the TDT forum stated that a King book was supposed to be released in Series II as well. Never came to be. Maybe it's just a way to get us to unload $450 over time.

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Hmmmm . . . a Constant Carrot to attract Constant Readers?

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Question to anyone who collects these Little Books: If you could do it over again, would you buy the complete Series II?

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Too late. I already committed to buying them . . .

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 07:49 PM
As they say: That escalated quickly.

Brian861
03-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm . . . a Constant Carrot to attract Constant Readers?

Pretty much and congrats lol. Matching numbers?

jeffingoff
03-12-2018, 08:01 PM
No. It's a complete set but without matching numbers. I'm getting it for a very reasonable price.

Brian861
03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
No. It's a complete set but without matching numbers. I'm getting it for a very reasonable price.

Good deal.

mhatchett
03-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Heads up! Subterranean is having a grab bag sale right now $125.00 you'll get about 11 signed books. Only 100 available, well, 99, I bought one lol!! Good luck!

jeffingoff
03-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Heads up! Subterranean is having a grab bag sale right now $125.00 you'll get about 11 signed books. Only 100 available, well, 99, I bought one lol!! Good luck!

I passed. Reluctantly. If I didn't have slipcases coming from across the pond and just commit to buying the entire series 2 and series 3 of Little Books, then I would have.

Martin
03-13-2018, 02:50 PM

I just went to check it out and they are already sold out.

RonClinton
03-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Question to anyone who collects these Little Books: If you could do it over again, would you buy the complete Series II?

Yes, but then again I'm a fan of the series:

https://s17.postimg.org/6rbmljqwv/littlebooks.jpg

Sock Monkey
03-13-2018, 04:30 PM

Very nice! I like the series as well. I missed out on Series I but did get the complete Series II. I’m hoping to continue to get my matching number for Series III through Camelot. I would like to track down a set of Series I but some of them are pretty darn pricey.

Brian861
03-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Just curious, Ron. Will they be making a case for the last 5 books in Series II?

jeffingoff
03-13-2018, 05:09 PM

UH OH! Am I in trouble??

;)

RonClinton
03-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Brian: Yes, the slipcases always come after each set of five are published, and I understand the one for the last set of five in Series II is in production (or close to it).

Jeff: Only if you're a completist. ;)

SockMonkey: I spoke to Kim @ Camelot a couple days ago, and she verified with me that she will continue to get the matching numbers in the LITTLE BOOKs series for Series III. That was good to confirm, given that this is one rare instance where I do have a matching number, and have had it since the first volume of Series I...so all those books in the above pic have the same number. :cool:

jeffingoff
03-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Jeff: Only if you're a completist. ;)

In your opinion, what were the standouts in series 2? I'm looking forward to the Etchinson and the Poppy Z Brite and Ketchum.

RonClinton
03-13-2018, 09:25 PM
In your opinion, what were the standouts in series 2? I'm looking forward to the Etchinson and the Poppy Z Brite and Ketchum.

I’m afraid my memory for such things isn’t very good… Unless the book is a singular standout, most of what I read I don’t recall very well as time wears on, some of it vanishing almost as soon as I close the covers. That said, I do remember that the Ketchum and Mayberry books were quite good, as was the Joe Hill.

jeffingoff
03-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Yeah I'm surprised they have a complete set to sell me considering the Joe Hill issues.

TacomaDiver
03-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Very nice Ron!

I really want the Green Lansdale but that one doesn’t seem to come up for sale very often.

ETA: Of course right after I said this, one is on eBay and is currently at a reasonable price.

jeffingoff
03-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Anyone know why Borderlands is going from a limitation of 500 to 350? Series I and II were both 500, right?

slayn666
03-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Anyone know why Borderlands is going from a limitation of 500 to 350? Series I and II were both 500, right?

They were. My suspicion is that it's due to poorer than expected sales. A number of the Series II books are still available from their store.

RonClinton
03-14-2018, 03:10 PM
They were. My suspicion is that it's due to poorer than expected sales. A number of the Series II books are still available from their store.

That would be my assumption as well; I can't conceive of any other reason why a publisher would decrease the limitation on a series that was otherwise selling out its larger print run.

jeffingoff
03-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Interesting. Hard to prevent people from cherry picking authors. Not everyone is a completist. Selfishly, I'm happy with the development. It'll be nice to have matching numbers for all of series III which will be even more limited.

Would be even sweeter if Lansdale appeared again!

jeffingoff
03-14-2018, 03:25 PM
That would be my assumption as well; I can't conceive of any other reason why a publisher would decrease the limitation on a series that was otherwise selling out its larger print run.

It's also interesting that they didn't raise the price at all. The collectors would probably hang on even with a bump to $35, especially if the quantities are even more limited on these signed editions. I think this is a cool concept and I'm surprised I didn't jump in earlier.

RonClinton
03-14-2018, 09:10 PM
It's also interesting that they didn't raise the price at all. The collectors would probably hang on even with a bump to $35, especially if the quantities are even more limited on these signed editions. I think this is a cool concept and I'm surprised I didn't jump in earlier.

Series I was cheaper ($20 or $25, I can't recall); the price was raised for Series II. For Series III, I'm not sure many would go for such a small, thin book for over $30, given that full-length standard/large size S/Ls run for $40. I'd probably do it because I've been in from the beginning, but if I were just starting, I can't see paying $35 or $40 for these things...they're nice, but they're mostly reprints, fairly plain with no djs and have limited embossing to boards, presumably not smyth-sewn, etc.

slayn666
03-15-2018, 12:09 AM
I could probably stomach $35 IF they came through on all the authors they claim they're in negotiations with for this series, but they're hitting a regular who's who of my list of favorite authors. In general I agree that $30 is probably the sweet spot for these books.

And like Brian, I'm interested to see how they handle King if they can get him. Inexpensive signed books aren't totally unheard of, and Tom Monteleone has been around long enough that I suspect he could call in a favor or two to make it happen. Perhaps more likely, now that I've had some time to think about it, is that a King Little Book just wouldn't be signed at all (despite the claim that all books will be signed by the author), or perhaps signed by the editor of such a volume.

Brian861
03-15-2018, 03:52 AM

That sucks for the folks who currently hold complete sets 351-500.

I could probably stomach $35 IF they came through on all the authors they claim they're in negotiations with for this series, but they're hitting a regular who's who of my list of favorite authors. In general I agree that $30 is probably the sweet spot for these books.

And like Brian, I'm interested to see how they handle King if they can get him. Inexpensive signed books aren't totally unheard of, and Tom Monteleone has been around long enough that I suspect he could call in a favor or two to make it happen. Perhaps more likely, now that I've had some time to think about it, is that a King Little Book just wouldn't be signed at all (despite the claim that all books will be signed by the author), or perhaps signed by the editor of such a volume.

If they do a King Little Book, I could see them going with a facsimile sig.

Sock Monkey
03-15-2018, 05:11 AM
I like these books quite a bit, but agree that the $30 range is about where I would top out. I might be willing to go higher for original material, but this almost all reprints. My favorites from Series II that I’ve read so far are the ones by David Schow, Ed Gorman and Jack Ketchum.

I’d be rather frustrated if I had a complete set of Series I and II with a number over 350. Though it isn’t the press’s fault that the print run might have to be reduced for financial reasons, the loss of maintaining that matching numbered set would sting quite a bit.

As far as King goes, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I can see both the editor’s signature or facsimile signature as an option, but I’d think it would be cool of King to do one at a reduced price point. Both Hill and Gaiman did volumes so it might not be a huge stretch. To be honest even without King, the lineup for Series III looks phenomenal.

jeffingoff
03-15-2018, 12:25 PM
I can see a few other ways to handle King.

1. A subscriber's only price with an expanded print run. Let's say the King book gets a print run of 500. For those who "own" a number (1-350) to all books in series 3, you will be eligible to buy a King Little Book at $30. Numbers 351-500 can be sold to the cherry picking public at a much higher cost.

2. A subscriber's only exclusive. King's book is NOT one of the 15 in series 3. It is a bonus book that will be available to subscriber's first (those who "own" a number) and once that preorder window is closed then it will be offered to the cherry pickers. They can set whatever price they want. And they can also offer a discount to "subscribers."

3. Just another book in Series 3. No catches. No special deals. Just another book in the series that will go to people who own a number first and then everyone else first come-first served.

RonClinton
03-15-2018, 03:04 PM
I can see a few other ways to handle King.

1. A subscriber's only price with an expanded print run. Let's say the King book gets a print run of 500. For those who "own" a number (1-350) to all books in series 3, you will be eligible to buy a King Little Book at $30. Numbers 351-500 can be sold to the cherry picking public at a much higher cost.

2. A subscriber's only exclusive. King's book is NOT one of the 15 in series 3. It is a bonus book that will be available to subscriber's first (those who "own" a number) and once that preorder window is closed then it will be offered to the cherry pickers. They can set whatever price they want. And they can also offer a discount to "subscribers."

3. Just another book in Series 3. No catches. No special deals. Just another book in the series that will go to people who own a number first and then everyone else first come-first served.

The problem is that there are "subscribers" who do not subscribe through Borderlands direct. I've been getting mine through Camelot since the first volume. So Borderlands has no idea which dealers they send books to have customers w/ set numbers, nor how many of these dealers' customers reserve numbers, nor which numbers, etc. Plus even though Borderlands direct, not all numbers 1 through 300 are reserved, so the logistics of managing reserved vs. unreserved would be a nightmare. Same w/ #2...there don't know how many subscribers there are to determine the print run for reserved numbers (again, since the dealers, ala Camelot, don't indicate to them which of the numbers they receive are reserved numbers, etc.). Same with #3: How does Borderlands know who (or how many) owns a number, given that once the books are out the door to the dealers they lose logistical control? They don't/can't.

I like the fairness doctrine you're trying to create, the from-the-top filter that protects reserved-number owners, but I don't see how that's at all possible, given the issues I outline above, i.e. Borderlands' inability to know and determine who many of these owners are.

slayn666
03-15-2018, 03:20 PM
It seems Borderlands could avoid that issue by just treating other retailers (CD, Camelot, etc.) as subscribers in their own right, so they'll get as many copies of a potential King Little Book as they would any other, offering to match numbers per usual.

Really the main thing to avoid is a repeat of the clusterfuck that surrounded the Joe Hill Little Book last year, and having an exclusive preorder period for customers (including other retailers!) that have bought all the other books in the series up to that point. That satisfies all of their direct long-time customers, and shifts the onus of non-direct customers onto the other retailers (most of which can handle these things just fine). Once subscribers are taken care of, you open up preorders to the general public on a first-come, first-served basis.

It's not an especially difficult thing to do, Borderlands just need to be willing to cancel the orders of people that don't qualify but get the order link anyhow.

Dan Hocker
03-15-2018, 03:21 PM
For what it's worth we confirmed with Borderlands that we'd be able to get the same number of books for every book in the series, including a King one if there is a King book.

Martin
03-15-2018, 03:29 PM
I have opted to stay quiet on this as I will not order directly from Borderlands Press.

Side Note: I have been unwilling to order from Borderlands long before the Joe Hill Little Book issues. I had issues with them back around 2006 and they are simply a company I will not deal directly with. As they have produced books I want I have picked them up from other retailers, and that has worked for me. The first snag in that was last year with the Joe Hill book. With my prior issues with Borderlands that was a last straw for me and I decided it would be very hard for me to buy a Borderlands book again.

Well then this series comes along with many confirmed authors I want including Owen King and Richard Chizmar, including a possibility of a Stephen King book. I initially disregarded them as not for me as I expected with the reduced quantity and the issues from last year that you could only buy it from Borderlands and I will not do that. Trust me on this, I will never buy directly from Borderlands without regard of what they offer. Then today I got the offer to begin the series III little books with rights to each subsequent book. I truly believe that Borderlands as a company does not care about its customers but I do like some of the books they produce. I am trying once again to buy their books through another retailer. Hopefully it will go well, I will not be surprised if it does not.

Regarding a King signed book for $30.00, I do believe they would have no problem doing that. One of my prized books is actually a Borderlands book bought directly from Borderlands. Quietly Now is signed by Stephan King and many others and retailed for $40.00.

Brian861
03-15-2018, 04:06 PM
This will be my first experience going directly through Borderlands. May of the Hill books were damaged I believed and I'd heard that their packaging isn't that great. I guess I'll find out first hand soon enough.

I don't recall the fiasco that surrounded the Hill book. Did they oversell it? I had to get a copy on the secondary market.

RonClinton
03-15-2018, 04:41 PM
One of my prized books is actually a Borderlands book bought directly from Borderlands. Quietly Now is signed by Stephan King and many others and retailed for $40.00.

Yeah, I was fortunate enough to get in on that as well.

slayn666
03-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Borderlands oversold, and someone posted the secret CD link over at TDT prior to open orders here, so they (CD) sold out before at least some folks that had been getting the whole series had a chance to buy their copy.

Here's Brian F.'s post on the topic. (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?2223-Little-Book-Series-2&p=84234&viewfull=1#post84234)

Martin
03-15-2018, 05:03 PM
For what it's worth we confirmed with Borderlands that we'd be able to get the same number of books for every book in the series, including a King one if there is a King book.

Let's hope Borderlands sticks to that agreement, I assume you had that deal last series and Borderlands chose not to honor it.

Martin
03-15-2018, 05:05 PM
This will be my first experience going directly through Borderlands. May of the Hill books were damaged I believed and I'd heard that their packaging isn't that great. I guess I'll find out first hand soon enough.

I don't recall the fiasco that surrounded the Hill book. Did they oversell it? I had to get a copy on the secondary market.

It has been over 10 years that I ordered directly from them but I do not recall ever having issues with receiving damaged books. I will admit they were not packed to CD's standards but they were bubble wrapped and a box and arrived undamaged.

Brian861
03-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Borderlands oversold, and someone posted the secret CD link over at TDT prior to open orders here, so they (CD) sold out before at least some folks that had been getting the whole series had a chance to buy their copy.

Here's Brian F.'s post on the topic. (http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?2223-Little-Book-Series-2&p=84234&viewfull=1#post84234)

Ah! Now I remember. Thanks.

Martin
03-15-2018, 05:09 PM

You are missing the part where Borderlands chose to reduce retailers orders rather than cancel the orders they oversold. So retailers like CD who have helped Borderlands sell their product were then required to cancel customers orders through no fault of their own. I believe CD did have an issue with someone posting a link prior to general announcement but they also sold to people like me who they had notified and had to cancel those orders because Borderlands screwed up and punished them and their customers. I state this was not my issue with Borderlands, just another brick in the wall.

slayn666
03-15-2018, 05:13 PM
You are missing the part where Borderlands chose to reduce retailers orders rather than cancel the orders they oversold. So retailers like CD who have helped Borderlands sell their product were then required to cancel customers orders through no fault of their own. I believe CD did have an issue with someone posting a link prior to general announcement but they also sold to people like me who they had notified and had to cancel those orders because Borderlands screwed up and punished them and their customers. I state this was not my issue with Borderlands, just another brick in the wall.

I didn't know about that part, or just don't remember it. That's pretty terrible; I hope they've learned their lesson, especially if they plan to offer something signed by King.

jeffingoff
03-15-2018, 05:34 PM
I have opted to stay quiet on this as I will not order directly from Borderlands Press.

Side Note: I have been unwilling to order from Borderlands long before the Joe Hill Little Book issues. I had issues with them back around 2006 and they are simply a company I will not deal directly with. As they have produced books I want I have picked them up from other retailers, and that has worked for me. The first snag in that was last year with the Joe Hill book. With my prior issues with Borderlands that was a last straw for me and I decided it would be very hard for me to buy a Borderlands book again.

Well then this series comes along with many confirmed authors I want including Owen King and Richard Chizmar, including a possibility of a Stephen King book. I initially disregarded them as not for me as I expected with the reduced quantity and the issues from last year that you could only buy it from Borderlands and I will not do that. Trust me on this, I will never buy directly from Borderlands without regard of what they offer. Then today I got the offer to begin the series III little books with rights to each subsequent book. I truly believe that Borderlands as a company does not care about its customers but I do like some of the books they produce. I am trying once again to buy their books through another retailer. Hopefully it will go well, I will not be surprised if it does not.

Regarding a King signed book for $30.00, I do believe they would have no problem doing that. One of my prized books is actually a Borderlands book bought directly from Borderlands. Quietly Now is signed by Stephan King and many others and retailed for $40.00.

Thank you for your insight into this. I will say that I haven't dealt with Borderlands before this week, but they've been really great in our communication. I ordered the first book of Series III and emailed them to request matching numbers throughout the series and they offered me the entire Series II at a very good price with an option to pay in installments. I still don't have the books, but I got the shipping notice the day after paying my first installment. I'm pretty happy about everything so far but I'm bummed that you all had such a crappy experience.

Maybe they've turned a corner and learned to be better at customer service from the episode? Or maybe I'm heading for the falls in a kayak.

jeffingoff
03-15-2018, 05:39 PM
I didn't know about that part, or just don't remember it. That's pretty terrible; I hope they've learned their lesson, especially if they plan to offer something signed by King.

Yeah that's terrible. Well, they must have mended some fences since CD is willing to sell them again. I hope this is a MUCH BETTER go around for you Martin!

Martin
03-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Thank you for your insight into this. I will say that I haven't dealt with Borderlands before this week, but they've been really great in our communication. I ordered the first book of Series III and emailed them to request matching numbers throughout the series and they offered me the entire Series II at a very good price with an option to pay in installments. I still don't have the books, but I got the shipping notice the day after paying my first installment. I'm pretty happy about everything so far but I'm bummed that you all had such a crappy experience.

Maybe they've turned a corner and learned to be better at customer service from the episode? Or maybe I'm heading for the falls in a kayak.

I certainly hope they have decided their customers matter and take good care of you.

Dan Hocker
03-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Let's hope Borderlands sticks to that agreement, I assume you had that deal last series and Borderlands chose not to honor it.

No not really. We just ordered what we needed from book to book. No locked in quantities or anything like that.

Dan Hocker
03-15-2018, 06:40 PM
I don't really want to get into the details, but there was no bad blood or anything to patch up with Borderlands. It sucked, but at the core of it we totally understand the situation they were in. This is just my opinion, but I think had it been me I'd have made the same choice to reduce retailer quantities as well. From both a financial and "PR" standpoint it just seems like the right choice to make (at least to me).

Brian861
03-16-2018, 02:15 PM

I placed in the note section when I ordered requesting the same number throughout. After reading your post, maybe I should send them a separate email.

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
I placed in the note section when I ordered requesting the same number throughout. After reading your post, maybe I should send them a separate email.

When I wrote my email, I thought it was a little silly telling them I wanted the same number for every issue of the series when I don't even have a number to ask for. Felt like I was getting ahead of myself. The only reason I did it was because of the message sent by Borderlands quoted in the first post in this thread.

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 02:20 PM

Rereading their message, you probably did it the way they wanted--a note IN the order.

Brian861
03-16-2018, 02:23 PM
I don't really want to get into the details, but there was no bad blood or anything to patch up with Borderlands. It sucked, but at the core of it we totally understand the situation they were in. This is just my opinion, but I think had it been me I'd have made the same choice to reduce retailer quantities as well. From both a financial and "PR" standpoint it just seems like the right choice to make (at least to me).

I think we as CD customers would have expected the same thing. Fill the orders at home base before the outside retailers. I guess it's a bit of an assumed risk when you order off the reservation. I believe CD oversold the Lettered Flights or Fright as well and had to cancel some in-house orders. Nothing disparaging towards them; just seems it's not uncommon. Maybe Dan and can provide a little insight in general how these things happen. System can't keep up with an ultra high demand, etc.

Brian861
03-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Rereading their message, you probably did it the way they wanted--a note IN the order.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. Never hurts to cover one's bases :)

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. Never hurts to cover one's bases :)

True. And that email led to me getting all of Series II, so I couldn't be happier.

Dan Hocker
03-16-2018, 02:37 PM
I think we as CD customers would have expected the same thing. Fill the orders at home base before the outside retailers. I guess it's a bit of an assumed risk when you order off the reservation. I believe CD oversold the Lettered Flights or Fright as well and had to cancel some in-house orders. Nothing disparaging towards them; just seems it's not uncommon. Maybe Dan and can provide a little insight in general how these things happen. System can't keep up with an ultra high demand, etc.

Well how they happen with us is real easy. We have web software for the shopping cart and we have an order management software to actually keep track of inventory and orders. The problem is that they just don't really communicate very well. The web software can't see the inventory of the management software, but you can't use the inventory function of the web software if you're linking it to the management software.

So monitoring sales has to be done manually. If something sells super fast it can be real easy for the manual process to just not be fast enough. Which is why if you're a part of the CDCC you'll have seen the "email Mindy" sales for when we only have one or two of something to sell. On top of all that there's some other things with the store software with how it treats products that have already been added to a shopping cart, that get a little funky.

Mostly what it comes down to though is that software that is good for a company our size doesn't really exist. Big companies can afford to have software custom made for their needs, while medium companies have to work with the limited amount of stuff that's available while still doing some things manually, and really small companies have even less affordable options so end up doing even more things manually. Once you introduce the manual aspect into the equation it's becomes really easy to oversell something by mistake.

Brian861
03-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Well how they happen with us is real easy. We have web software for the shopping cart and we have an order management software to actually keep track of inventory and orders. The problem is that they just don't really communicate very well. The web software can't see the inventory of the management software, but you can't use the inventory function of the web software if you're linking it to the management software.

So monitoring sales has to be done manually. If something sells super fast it can be real easy for the manual process to just not be fast enough. Which is why if you're a part of the CDCC you'll have seen the "email Mindy" sales for when we only have one or two of something to sell. On top of all that there's some other things with the store software with how it treats products that have already been added to a shopping cart, that get a little funky.

Mostly what it comes down to though is that software that is good for a company our size doesn't really exist. Big companies can afford to have software custom made for their needs, while medium companies have to work with the limited amount of stuff that's available while still doing some things manually, and really small companies have even less affordable options so end up doing even more things manually. Once you introduce the manual aspect into the equation it's becomes really easy to oversell something by mistake.

Thank you, Sir! I figured it was something along those lines.

Brian861
03-16-2018, 02:47 PM
True. And that email led to me getting all of Series II, so I couldn't be happier.

Win-Win.

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 08:28 PM
I love to be an alarmist, but should we be worried that Borderlands Press pulled the first book of Series III from their home page and dropped the image for the book from their Little Books landing page? Is this an omen?

You guys got me freaked about BP.

Dan Hocker
03-16-2018, 08:33 PM
I love to be an alarmist, but should we be worried that Borderlands Press pulled the first book of Series III from their home page and dropped the image for the book from their Little Books landing page? Is this an omen?

I don't like to point these things out, but they had a typo in the image for the book. My guess is that these things are related.

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 08:42 PM
I don't like to point these things out, but they had a typo in the image for the book. My guess is that these things are related.

Well that's a very reasonable reason. Glad to hear that that's maybe all there is. Because if there's a fumble at the snap then drama ensues and who likes drama?

jeffingoff
03-16-2018, 08:46 PM
In other news, that Little Green Book of Monsters is BLOWING up on eBay. It's at $52 with two days left.

TacomaDiver
03-16-2018, 11:46 PM
Shhhh - I need this one to happen. :)

In other news, that Little Green Book of Monsters is BLOWING up on eBay. It's at $52 with two days left.

Martin
03-17-2018, 05:09 AM

Never intended to freak you out about Borderlands. I had some issues with them and choose not to deal with them directly but I do trust that the books they advertise will be produced. If I remember correctly they do not collect for the books until they are ready to ship either.

jeffingoff
03-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Never intended to freak you out about Borderlands. I had some issues with them and choose not to deal with them directly but I do trust that the books they advertise will be produced. If I remember correctly they do not collect for the books until they are ready to ship either.

I'm always at the ready t freak out. It doesn't take much. So don't blame yourself. Hopefully, at some point in the future, we will all be sharing pics and vids of our Little Gold Book of Impossible Editions by Stephen King.

jeffingoff
03-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Shhhh - I need this one to happen. :)

Hahaha, and I was going to bid on it before you mentioned it here and started a feeding frenzy. But I can't now!

Brian861
03-17-2018, 03:18 PM

Like you, Jeff I went ahead, hedged my bet, and sent them a follow up email just to be sure about the same number moving forward. Here is the reply I received:

You will be invoiced for the payment when it is ready to ship. As we announce each new title in Series III (thru our newsletter), we would want you to go to our site and pre-order each new title as announced—then you will automatically be invoiced when available to ship.

make certain you are getting our newsletter.

They also told me my number.

TacomaDiver
03-17-2018, 04:12 PM
This is one that I've been looking for for awhile, so I was quite excited to see on actually hit eBay and start out at a manageable amount. The worst part is the timing of when the auction ends - I'm traveling for work and not sure how often I'll be able to check on the results. Fingers crossed!

Hahaha, and I was going to bid on it before you mentioned it here and started a feeding frenzy. But I can't now!

Martin
03-17-2018, 05:18 PM
This is one that I've been looking for for awhile, so I was quite excited to see on actually hit eBay and start out at a manageable amount. The worst part is the timing of when the auction ends - I'm traveling for work and not sure how often I'll be able to check on the results. Fingers crossed!

Good luck, hopefully you are able to snag this one at a price that works for you!

TacomaDiver
03-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Thanks! Just have to be smart - don't need to get caught up in the eBay fever (like the time I spent $111 on the DVD of Army of Darkness that might be worth a nickel today . . .)

Next will be to track down a copy of The Cases of Dana Roberts that was only available as a chapbook that was originally sold in the signed/numbered edition of Sub Press's Tales of Dark Fantasy 2. There's one copy on eBay - with the book - which I don't want.

Good luck, hopefully you are able to snag this one at a price that works for you!

jeffingoff
03-17-2018, 09:28 PM

GOOD LUCK! I guess the only thing you can do is enter the absolute most you're willing to spend and then just hope.

jeffingoff
03-17-2018, 09:29 PM
They also told me my number.

Yeah they encouraged me to subscribe to the Newsletter. But they didn't tell me my number. I'm going to have to email them again . . .

TacomaDiver
03-19-2018, 12:41 AM
Well I got it!

Increased my bid to where I was uncomfortable - but it came in lower than my original comfort level was. So win?

Yeah they encouraged me to subscribe to the Newsletter. But they didn't tell me my number. I'm going to have to email them again . . .

RonClinton
03-19-2018, 02:45 AM
Congrats -- great to get those Really Wanted pieces. :)

TacomaDiver
03-19-2018, 03:01 AM
Thanks! It’s a nice feeling for sure!

Congrats -- great to get those Really Wanted pieces. :)

Martin
03-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Well I got it!

Increased my bid to where I was uncomfortable - but it came in lower than my original comfort level was. So win?

Congratulations!

jeffingoff
03-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Well I got it!

Absolutely it's a win! I think it was worth every penny. Not an outrageous price for a book that doesn't surface that often.

I'll bid on the next one.

congrats! I hope the seller packs it well.

TacomaDiver
03-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Thanks!

My Lansdale collection is getting close to “complete.” I use quotes because there are so many different editions of the same story it seems. Or single stories with a fancy edition later put into a collection.

Absolutely it's a win! I think it was worth every penny. Not an outrageous price for a book that doesn't surface that often.

I'll bid on the next one.

congrats! I hope the seller packs it well.

jeffingoff
03-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Thanks!

My Lansdale collection is getting close to “complete.” I use quotes because there are so many different editions of the same story it seems. Or single stories with a fancy edition later put into a collection.

WELL that's a particularly cool score. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the next one. And I'll be sure not to post about it here!

Have you preordered Rusty Puppy from Gauntlet? It'll be my first Gauntlet Press book. And my second Hap and Leonard book. I just bought the Ziesing Edition of Savage Season. Haven't read it yet.

Sock Monkey
03-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Well I got it!

Congrats on the win!

RonClinton
03-20-2018, 06:18 PM
I'm glad to hear at least some of these LITTLE BOOK OF volumes have some value...taken individually, they typically don't seem to go for much on the aftermarket. I know the Hill and Gaiman are exceptions to the rule, but good to hear there are some other exceptions as well.

Sock Monkey
03-20-2018, 06:26 PM
I'm glad to hear at least some of these LITTLE BOOK OF volumes have some value...taken individually, they typically don't seem to go for much on the aftermarket. I know the Hill and Gaiman are exceptions to the rule, but good to hear there are some other exceptions as well.

Agreed. It's hard with these types of sets as I personally wouldn't collect them separately, part due to my collectors' OCD and part the way they display on the shelve individually versus as a set. The Keene book has also gone for a decent amount in the past. I want to piece together a Series I set, but I just don't know how much I'd be willing to drop the money for the Gaiman volume. Definitely not the $350 that a seller has listed one for on eBay.

jeffingoff
03-20-2018, 06:42 PM

I think the Laird Barron one was getting some money.

keithminnion
03-21-2018, 01:00 AM
I only ever bought one—A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff by Neil Gaiman—because I sort of collect Gaiman things. I sent a begging email to Elizabeth, and she got me #362. I'm happy.

jeffingoff
03-21-2018, 11:25 AM
I only ever bought one—A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff by Neil Gaiman—because I sort of collect Gaiman things. I sent a begging email to Elizabeth, and she got me #362. I'm happy.

Is that Gahan Wilson's art on the cover of the Gaiman Little Book?

RonClinton
03-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Is that Gahan Wilson's art on the cover of the Gaiman Little Book?

Yes. It’s one of the few (only?) of the LITTLE BOOKs that have truly illustrated boards...at least, as I recall this morning, before my first cup of coffee.

keithminnion
03-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Yes, Gahan did the cover drawing for this one. The same art also appears on the frontis and title pages, which he was kind enough to sign for me.

jeffingoff
03-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Yes, Gahan did the cover drawing for this one. The same art also appears on the frontis and title pages, which he was kind enough to sign for me.

Wow that's wonderful!

jeffingoff
03-21-2018, 09:18 PM

I really like the stuff he did for the Centipede Press Blackburn novels. Not usually my taste, but I like it!

mhatchett
03-22-2018, 01:07 PM
I love the work he did for Zelazny's A Night In the Lonesome October.

jeffingoff
03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Yes. It’s one of the few (only?) of the LITTLE BOOKs that have truly illustrated boards...at least, as I recall this morning, before my first cup of coffee.

Trust, then coffee, then verify.

jeffingoff
03-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Tonight I should be unboxing my improbable purchase of the entire Little Books Series II. I don't see how I can have a Joe Hill in there with what I paid. It must be missing the signature. Or the cover. Or all the pages. But let's find out!

bsaenz24
03-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Tonight I should be unboxing my improbable purchase of the entire Little Books Series II. I don't see how I can have a Joe Hill in there with what I paid. It must be missing the signature. Or the cover. Or all the pages. But let's find out!

Hopefully they didn't pull a fast one and substitute a Little Book by Hoe Jill. I never liked her writing.

Brian861
03-22-2018, 05:01 PM

I need a link to the book porn :o

jeffingoff
03-22-2018, 05:20 PM
I'll drop one here tonight. Unscripted. It could be as captivating as when Geraldo breached Al Capone's vault!

jeffingoff
03-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Hopefully they didn't pull a fast one and substitute a Little Book by Hoe Jill. I never liked her writing.

Me neither! She writes a lot about gardening and exchanging money for sex.

bsaenz24
03-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Me neither! She writes a lot about gardening and exchanging money for sex.

Or exchanging gardening for sex.

Brian861
03-22-2018, 07:05 PM
So we'll be getting A Little Green Book of Gardening Sex :confused:

Brian861
03-22-2018, 07:06 PM
I'll drop one here tonight. Unscripted. It could be as captivating as when Geraldo breached Al Capone's vault!

LOL! Totally one for the 80s!

jeffingoff
03-22-2018, 07:11 PM
So we'll be getting A Little Green Book of Gardening Sex :confused:

Yes. By Hoe Jill. With an outline of a cucumber on the cover.

Brian861
03-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes. By Hoe Jill. With an outline of a cucumber on the cover.

Should be interesting. I don't believe anyone has "tapped" into that particular genre as of yet.

RonClinton
03-22-2018, 07:14 PM
LOL! Totally one for the 80s!

I’ll be there tonight, Jeff...looking forward to seeing you do your best Geraldo (but hopefully with less disappointment).

Martin
03-22-2018, 07:31 PM

Here in Portland we recently had a local version of this. A local Brewery (Rogue) was remodeling a pub in an old building. Behind a sheetrock was they found an old wall safe. They offered a bunch of free beer to anyone who could help them open it. Someone who worked at a lock company was able to give them the combination won. The safe was empty!

Dan Hocker
03-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Here in Portland we recently had a local version of this. A local Brewery (Rogue) was remodeling a pub in an old building. Behind a sheetrock was they found an old wall safe. They offered a bunch of free beer to anyone who could help them open it. Someone who worked at a lock company was able to give them the combination won. The safe was empty!

Have you ever drank Rogue's beer? They make a Honey Kolsch that is to die for.

Martin
03-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Have you ever drank Rogue's beer? They make a Honey Kolsch that is to die for.

I really like many Rogue beers. My favorite beer is probably their Dead Guy Ale. Their Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon Bar Ale was one of the worst beers I have every tried, that said I have not tried their Sriracha Ale. I have seen the Honey Kolsch but have not tried it. I will remedy that and let you know what I think. The Dead Guy Whiskey is pretty good as well. I have to admit I do not care for their pubs as the food is subpar.

Dan Hocker
03-22-2018, 08:19 PM
I really like many Rogue beers. My favorite beer is probably their Dead Guy Ale. Their Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon Bar Ale was one of the worst beers I have every tried, that said I have not tried their Sriracha Ale. I have seen the Honey Kolsch but have not tried it. I will remedy that and let you know what I think. The Dead Guy Whiskey is pretty good as well. I have to admit I do not care for their pubs as the food is subpar.

The Honey Kolsch is so good I made my own version of it roughly 2 years ago. That's all be drank now, but one day I will find the time to make it again.

Martin
03-22-2018, 08:25 PM
The Honey Kolsch is so good I made my own version of it roughly 2 years ago. That's all be drank now, but one day I will find the time to make it again.

The Rogue website says they recently delivered some to a store I am stopping at tonight. I will try it soon!

TacomaDiver
03-22-2018, 09:57 PM
To further derail - Rogue’s various chocolate stouts are amazing! Their Double Chocolate and Shakespeare Stout are tops. Highly recommended.

RonClinton
03-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Coincidentally enough, I tried the Honey Kolsch for the first time a couple weeks ago at a brewpub in Issaquah. Dan’s right, it’s good stuff.

jeffingoff
03-23-2018, 01:48 AM
To further derail - Rogue’s various chocolate stouts are amazing! Their Double Chocolate and Shakespeare Stout are tops. Highly recommended.

I'm drinking a stout right now. It's called Coffee End of Days by Pipeworks brewing company. It's a milk stout with coffee, cacao, vanilla, chillies, and cinnamon. It's delicious. For me, it's "stout, or pour it out!"

jeffingoff
03-23-2018, 01:55 AM
SO I just unboxed my series 2 of Little Books from Borderlands Press and I am just absolutely floored. Of the 15 books, 11 have matching numbers. It's really amazing. You can watch it here if you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcthzYG5k4

I was expecting some trick, some bait and switch, some horrible catch that would make me regret the whole deal. But no. It was completely on the level.

RonClinton
03-23-2018, 02:17 AM
SO I just unboxed my series 2 of Little Books from Borderlands Press and I am just absolutely floored. Of the 15 books, 11 have matching numbers. It's really amazing. You can watch it here if you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcthzYG5k4

I was expecting some trick, some bait and switch, some horrible catch that would make me regret the whole deal. But no. It was completely on the level.

Heading to YT now... :)

EDIT: Great vid as always, Jeff...combination of humor and enthusiasm that's entertaining to watch. Congrats on the new set!

Btw, Borderlands likely didn't mention it, but the Laird Barron volume requires a download and print of an errata piece (the last page was left out)...you can do so here:

https://lairdbarron.wordpress.com/errata/

Martin
03-23-2018, 03:27 AM
Watched the video, congratulations on snagging the set!

TacomaDiver
03-23-2018, 03:45 AM
This sounds DELICIOUS! While IPAs are almost always my go-to beers, I do love stouts. I've probably mentioned it before, but I brewed an oak aged absinthe milk stout that was AMAZING! And I'm hoping to do a cold brew coffee milk stout here soon. Damn, I'm thirsty.

I'm drinking a stout right now. It's called Coffee End of Days by Pipeworks brewing company. It's a milk stout with coffee, cacao, vanilla, chillies, and cinnamon. It's delicious. For me, it's "stout, or pour it out!"

Martin
03-23-2018, 04:17 AM

Forgot to pick this up today, hopefully I will remember Saturday!

jeffingoff
03-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Heading to YT now... :)

EDIT: Great vid as always, Jeff...combination of humor and enthusiasm that's entertaining to watch. Congrats on the new set!

Btw, Borderlands likely didn't mention it, but the Laird Barron volume requires a download and print of an errata piece (the last page was left out)...you can do so here:

https://lairdbarron.wordpress.com/errata/

Thanks for the kind words and the errata info!

It was a thrill to get the set and in such good shape.

jeffingoff
03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Watched the video, congratulations on snagging the set!

Thank you! Looking forward to Malerman and Chizmar and King(?) in series 3.

Brian861
03-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Thank you! Looking forward to Malerman and Chizmar and King(?) in series 3.

Concur, Jeff! Great stuff and congrats on an awesome score! I'm not much for YouTube except for searching out how to do stuff (car/home remodel/repairs etc.). So your channel is the first one I've subscribed to!

jeffingoff
03-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Concur, Jeff! Great stuff and congrats on an awesome score! I'm not much for YouTube except for searching out how to do stuff (car/home remodel/repairs etc.). So your channel is the first one I've subscribed to!

Thank you for the support! I'm not sure I'm worthy of the honor, but I will try to earn the distinction.

Brian861
03-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the support! I'm not sure I'm worthy of the honor, but I will try to earn the distinction.

You're most welcome. I assume I'll be notified when you post something new. Not sure how that works.

jeffingoff
03-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Yeah, you should get a little notification when you log into YouTube whenever there's a new video posted by someone you subscribe to. I think the next thing I'll post will probably be the Nocturnal Reader's Box April unboxing and if you watch that one, you'll probably be treated to a high pitched squeal of delight. You'll hear and see a 45 year old man let loose a high pitched squeal of delight over a book. THAT'S what you just subscribed to.

Brian861
03-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you should get a little notification when you log into YouTube whenever there's a new video posted by someone you subscribe to. I think the next thing I'll post will probably be the Nocturnal Reader's Box April unboxing and if you watch that one, you'll probably be treated to a high pitched squeal of delight. You'll hear and see a 45 year old man let loose a high pitched squeal of delight over a book. THAT'S what you just subscribed to.

LOL! I'll be sure and have the volume down.

Martin
03-27-2018, 03:43 PM

I thought you had read the ARC of that book and were not overly thrilled with it?

Sock Monkey
03-27-2018, 03:59 PM
I thought you had read the ARC of that book and were not overly thrilled with it?

Now I’m super curious...what’s the book?

jeffingoff
03-27-2018, 04:04 PM

I do have an ARC and it's signed. And I wasn't over the moon about it, but I did like it quite a bit. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone other than our friend Ron Clinton. :) I planned on buying it in hardcover anyway. So this spares me that added expense. But there might be something else to screech about. Maybe not. I have a low threshold for screeching as witnessed in my Shining and Little Books unboxings.

jeffingoff
03-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Now I’m super curious...what’s the book?

Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman

Dan Hocker
03-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Moved some off topic posts elsewhere. They are now in the "Random Thoughts" thread.

Brian861
04-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Got my invoice today for the first book in the new series.

jeffingoff
04-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Got my invoice today for the first book in the new series.

Now I'm freaking out. Yes, that's all it takes. Where's my invoice Tom???

Deep breaths.

BTW, I just read my first Little Book: A Little Magenta Book About a Dollhouse by Edward Lee. I really liked it. Never read him before. I thought he pulled off a cool concept.

Martin
04-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Now I'm freaking out. Yes, that's all it takes. Where's my invoice Tom???

Deep breaths.

BTW, I just read my first Little Book: A Little Magenta Book About a Dollhouse by Edward Lee. I really liked it. Never read him before. I thought he pulled off a cool concept.

I have read a few Edward Lee titles and enjoyed them. He sometimes goes for the gross-out but I enjoy his stories.

jeffingoff
04-15-2018, 12:05 AM
I have read a few Edward Lee titles and enjoyed them. He sometimes goes for the gross-out but I enjoy his stories.

Yeah, the sex and violence and grossness weren't overdone in the Little Book. They actually served a really balanced unique story.

RonClinton
04-15-2018, 05:27 PM
The LITTLE BOOK novella was fairly atypical for Lee in that regard...and I agree, it’s a good, solid read.

It was also atypical in that it’s the only novella in either LB series...all others are collections.

Sock Monkey
04-16-2018, 02:38 PM

I've stayed away from a lot of Lee's stuff because of the gross-out factor. I've only read one of his short stories, "The Stick Woman", and I remember there being some stomach-churning stuff in that bad boy. Well-written, but not my steady diet of horror.

Yeah, the sex and violence and grossness weren't overdone in the Little Book. They actually served a really balanced unique story.

This is good to hear. I'm finally working my way through the rest of the Little Books Series II and just finished Ray Garton's volume which I wound up enjoying. Lee's volume is a couple down the line I believe (yeah, I'm reading them in order of release, for no reason other than my reader's OCD kicks in) but I'm curious to read it.

Martin
04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
I've stayed away from a lot of Lee's stuff because of the gross-out factor. I've only read one of his short stories, "The Stick Woman", and I remember there being some stomach-churning stuff in that bad boy. Well-written, but not my steady diet of horror.

This is good to hear. I'm finally working my way through the rest of the Little Books Series II and just finished Ray Garton's volume which I wound up enjoying. Lee's volume is a couple down the line I believe (yeah, I'm reading them in order of release, for no reason other than my reader's OCD kicks in) but I'm curious to read it.

That is actually a completely acceptable reason!

jeffingoff
04-16-2018, 03:39 PM

I thought about reading them in order. And that made the most sense. But then I saw that out of all the books only Lee's was a completely self-contained novella so I started with that one. Now that I've broken out of the Matrix, I'm free to read them in any order I damn well please! Mwah ha ha ha! I might read Hill's next! Then Hautala's!! Who knows?

Also, I STILL don't have my f**king invoice for the first book in Series III!

Sock Monkey
04-16-2018, 04:19 PM
I thought about reading them in order. And that made the most sense. But then I saw that out of all the books only Lee's was a completely self-contained novella so I started with that one. Now that I've broken out of the Matrix, I'm free to read them in any order I damn well please! Mwah ha ha ha! I might read Hill's next! Then Hautala's!! Who knows?

Also, I STILL don't have my f**king invoice for the first book in Series III!

Yeah, there is no logical reason to have to read them in release order, but for some reason, it will just nag at me if I do. I'm glad that you have escaped the Matrix. Everything here still tastes like chicken and I can't find that woman in the red dress for the life of me...

Martin
04-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Yeah, there is no logical reason to have to read them in release order, but for some reason, it will just nag at me if I do. I'm glad that you have escaped the Matrix. Everything here still tastes like chicken and I can't find that woman in the red dress for the life of me...

Logic left the building a long time ago.

jeffingoff
04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
In other news, I was charged for the first book in series 3--so all is right with my world.

bsaenz24
04-16-2018, 06:32 PM
In other news, I was charged for the first book in series 3--so all is right with my world.

Hell, if that's all you need, I'll charge you for the next 14 volumes. ;)

RonClinton
04-17-2018, 03:13 PM

Haven't recieved word yet from Camelot, but hope to soon.

Brian861
04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Having not purchased anything directly from Borderlands; I haven't received a shipping notice. Not sure if they send these out.

jeffingoff
04-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Having not purchased anything directly from Borderlands; I haven't received a shipping notice. Not sure if they send these out.

I didn't get a shipping notice either. So I'm hoping the book is on its way.

Dan Hocker
04-18-2018, 03:34 PM
I haven't had word yet from Borderlands about our copies. I suspect they are receiving them soon and they are doing all the prep work so they can send them out once they arrive.

Brian861
04-18-2018, 03:46 PM
I haven't had word yet from Borderlands about our copies. I suspect they are receiving them soon and they are doing all the prep work so they can send them out once they arrive.

I'm sure it's different from publisher to publisher vs publisher to customer but, do you guys get a shipping notice from them, Dan?

Dan Hocker
04-18-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm sure it's different from publisher to publisher vs publisher to customer but, do you guys get a shipping notice from them, Dan?

Not a shipping notice per say, they are just down the road from us and Tom usually emails letting us know when he's coming before he drops the books off.

jeffingoff
04-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Not a shipping notice per say, they are just down the road from us and Tom usually emails letting us know when he's coming before he drops the books off.

If I'm ever in Baltimore again, I'm going to need to stop off and do a publisher's tour. Or at the very least, take a selfie with the CD building in the background before the cops arrive to tell me that I'm scaring the people inside.

Martin
04-18-2018, 05:04 PM
If I'm ever in Baltimore again, I'm going to need to stop off and do a publisher's tour. Or at the very least, take a selfie with the CD building in the background before the cops arrive to tell me that I'm scaring the people inside.

They don't need to cops, they have dogs. They will lick you to death!

jeffingoff
04-18-2018, 05:21 PM
They don't need to cops, they have dogs. They will lick you to death!

Saw those dogs on FB! I was so jealous that I don't work there. Hey CD, need any marketing support?? I write words good--real good--for pay! Or books! You can pay me in SK Lettereds!

bsaenz24
04-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Agreed. A CD visit is on my bucket list.

Martin
04-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Agreed. A CD visit is on my bucket list.

Take dog treats!

Brian861
04-19-2018, 12:10 PM

Gotcha. Didn't realize that.

Or you could attempt to unbox their warehouse :)

Dan Hocker
04-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Gotcha. Didn't realize that.

We need the opposite of unboxing in the warehouse...

Brian861
04-19-2018, 08:06 PM
We need the opposite of unboxing in the warehouse...

A good problem to have.

RonClinton
04-19-2018, 08:10 PM

I think you just blew Jeff's mind.

Dan Hocker
04-19-2018, 08:16 PM
A good problem to have.

Yea unless it's because we're down a employee...

Brian861
04-19-2018, 08:25 PM

Reminds me of one of those old comedy sketches where Dan and crew are boxing up everything for shipping and Jeff is on the other end doing his thing.

Yea unless it's because we're down a employee...

True.

jeffingoff
04-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Pretty much. I tried getting on a plane to Baltimore but I was kicked off. Apparently, waving the Dragon Lord around and screaming about how I was going to "unbox the whole warehouse! Every last one of those sons a bitches!" is frowned upon by aviation officials, law enforcement, and the mental health community.

jeffingoff
04-22-2018, 10:12 PM
This was posted on the order page for the first book in Series III in case anyone was wondering why they weren't getting their book:

(Attention: Our Pub date of April 10th will be delayed until April 25th The machine that attached the headbands at our printer failed, and we are getting the issue rectified. Sorry for this delay that is out of our control!)

jeffingoff
04-22-2018, 10:15 PM
ALSO I just noticed this interesting fact on that same order page:

"We are proud to launch Series III of our Little Books (each limited to 500 copies)"

So it's not 350 as the original post in this thread quoted. I wonder when he decided to up the run?

Dan Hocker
04-23-2018, 02:12 PM
ALSO I just noticed this interesting fact on that same order page:

"We are proud to launch Series III of our Little Books (each limited to 500 copies)"

So it's not 350 as the original post in this thread quoted. I wonder when he decided to up the run?

You can probably blame us for that.

jeffingoff
04-23-2018, 03:59 PM
You can probably blame us for that.

Well, that must have been a pretty big pep talk.

TacomaDiver
04-28-2018, 10:23 PM
Shipping notification received.

Brian861
04-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Shipping notification received.

Received mine as well via PayPal.

jeffingoff
05-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Received mine as well via PayPal.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notice.

Brian861
05-02-2018, 11:38 AM
I still haven't gotten a shipping notice.

Well, my notice was that a shipping label has been created. I don't expect anything til next week at the earliest.

khaos
05-02-2018, 01:37 PM
I never got a notice. But if I log into Paypal I can see the shipping info attached there. Mine had a label created the 28th and finally accepted and left post yesterday afternoon.

slayn666
05-04-2018, 12:16 AM
I never got a shipping notice, but my little book arrived yesterday.

jeffingoff
05-04-2018, 01:06 AM
I straightened things out with Borderlands. They were invoicing a misspelled email address. They fixed it and my book has shipped.

bookworm 1
05-04-2018, 01:27 PM
I straightened things out with Borderlands. They were invoicing a misspelled email address. They fixed it and my book has shipped.

Now you can relax and breath again.:p

Sock Monkey
05-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Just got my email from Kim at Camelot about the first book is Series III with my matching number from Series II. Very excited!

Brian861
05-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Just got my email from Kim at Camelot about the first book is Series III with my matching number from Series II. Very excited!

Cool! I was less than impressed with Borderlands packaging but my copy arrived safely all the same. At least with Kim, you know it will be handled with care.

Sock Monkey
05-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Cool! I was less than impressed with Borderlands packaging but my copy arrived safely all the same. At least with Kim, you know it will be handled with care.

Sorry to hear that the packaging straight from Borderlands wasn't great. I always get a kick out of receiving books from Camelot. It's kinda fun that they come giftwrapped!

Brian861
05-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Sorry to hear that the packaging straight from Borderlands wasn't great. I always get a kick out of receiving books from Camelot. It's kinda fun that they come giftwrapped!

I always think that's cool as well. I receive CD's Signature Series from them. Along with a few orders here and there.

jeffingoff
07-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Has anyone gotten the second book in Series III yet? The Mort Castle book?

Sock Monkey
07-25-2018, 02:46 PM

I haven’t. Though I go through Camelot so I’m sure there’s a slight delay than going through Borderlands.

Brian861
07-25-2018, 02:47 PM

I'm going through Borderlands and paid on the 13th of this month. No book yet.

playdohman
07-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Buying direct from Borderlands, I got a notice on the 18th that my order was received and being processed. Nothing since.

jeffingoff
07-25-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm going through Borderlands and paid on the 13th of this month. No book yet.

I'm in the exact same boat. BTW, do you have any sunscreen I can borrow? I can apply it myself, thank you!

I haven’t. Though I go through Camelot so I’m sure there’s a slight delay than going through Borderlands.

Ah, but at least yours will be gift wrapped and shipped in a box!

jeffingoff
07-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Buying direct from Borderlands, I got a notice on the 18th that my order was received and being processed. Nothing since.

My account on BP's site also says"processing."

I'm not worried about the wait. I just wanted to be reassured that I wasn't the only one waiting. Thanks!

Brian861
07-25-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm in the exact same boat. BTW, do you have any sunscreen I can borrow? I can apply it myself, thank you!

Ah, but at least yours will be gift wrapped and shipped in a box!

Yes, but you only can have one cheese cracker per day until we're rescued.

Very true! It's always your birthday at Camelot.

khaos
07-25-2018, 06:19 PM
I ordered from Borderlands directly. No book, no notice of shipping. Not overly worried especially since others seem to be in the same place.

Brian861
07-25-2018, 06:50 PM
I ordered from Borderlands directly. No book, no notice of shipping. Not overly worried especially since others seem to be in the same place.

I think it was mentioned before, maybe up thread, that they don't send out shipping notices. I don't recall getting one last time anyway. Just shows up in the mailbox one day.

Dan Hocker
07-25-2018, 06:57 PM
If I'm correct they typically don't start shipping the books until they are done charging people. Usually takes a couple of weeks. I haven't heard anything from them yet about our copies, so I wouldn't be worried.

Zaharoff
07-28-2018, 08:32 PM
I paid direct one or two weeks ago.
Not unconcerned. The BP folks have been more than fair with me.

slayn666
07-29-2018, 12:45 AM
Borderlands sent out an update earlier today.

We received the entire run of 500 copies of A Little Cobalt Book and after unpacking the cartons, we discovered our printer's binding machine had created a severe defect in the cover cloth on both the front and back of the book--scored line parallel with the spine.

We have demanded the book be re-bound, which will require us getting new signature pages from the author and a delay of 4 to 5 weeks before we can ship.

We apologize for this disruption, but we simply could not send out a book that would be below our high standards.

Brian James Freeman
07-29-2018, 01:33 AM
Borderlands sent out an update earlier today.

Knowing their printer as well as we do, that isn't surprising. Very frustrating when this sort of thing happens! That printer had real trouble with one of the early Signature Series books, they couldn't square up the front board and the back board correctly for some reason. It was such a mess, we just stopped sending the Sig Series to them and stuck with more traditional sizes, which they seemed to have less trouble with!

Brian

Brian861
08-26-2018, 03:27 AM
Received a tracking number for the latest book.

jeffingoff
08-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Received a tracking number for the latest book.

So did I. I thought I'd have to wait longer since the printer had to do the redo and Castle had to resign.

Brian861
08-27-2018, 01:52 PM
So did I. I thought I'd have to wait longer since the printer had to do the redo and Castle had to resign.

Ok, who's Castle lol.

jeffingoff
08-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Ok, who's Castle lol.

Ah I see the importance of a hyphen! Mort Castle had to re-sign, not quit! hahahahahahah

TacomaDiver
08-27-2018, 04:07 PM
Ah I see the importance of a hyphen! Mort Castle had to re-sign, not quit! hahahahahahah

I've learned how important that hyphen is whenever pre-season of soccer rolls around. Who resigned? Ohhhh - they re-signed. Got it. :)

Brian861
08-27-2018, 11:47 PM

Damn English. Always getting in the way of a conversation. Glad to hear MC decided to see the project through LOL!

Brian861
09-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Received mine yesterday.

TacomaDiver
09-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Received mine yesterday.

Mine arrived today. I haven't had a chance to see if my number matches the last one or not.

I think it's also missing now - probably under all my comics that came today.

Brian861
09-06-2018, 03:14 AM
Mine arrived today. I haven't had a chance to see if my number matches the last one or not.

Probably lol. GTG on my number.

jeffingoff
09-06-2018, 10:26 AM

That's what happens when it's shipped in just a padded envelope.

My number matches.

Brian861
09-06-2018, 12:29 PM
That's what happens when it's shipped in just a padded envelope.

My number matches.

I watched your video on that one as well. It's amazing these things don't take any or more damage. My copy is perfect as yours appears to be.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 05:10 PM
JUST ANNOUNCED the third book: A Little Aqua Book of Marine Stories by Tim Waggoner

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Also, at the bottom of the announcement for book 3:

SPECIAL NOTE:

Series III is almost completely sold out. We have 10 matched sets available. It's not too late to subscribe to the entire series of great little books with upcoming authors such as Thomas Ligotti, Josh Malerman, Owen King, and others!

No mention of Stephen King . . .

Dan Hocker
10-04-2018, 05:23 PM

SPECIAL NOTE:

Series III is almost completely sold out. We have 10 matched sets available. It's not too late to subscribe to the entire series of great little books with upcoming authors such as Thomas Ligotti, Josh Malerman, Owen King, and others!

The original announcement never said SK was confirmed, but that they where working on it. I don't think you'll see SK mentioned again until it's confirmed, and honestly probably not until they are ready to announce it for sale.

Brian861
10-04-2018, 05:26 PM

SPECIAL NOTE:

He is one of the others :). Seriously, I always doubted a King S/L would go for $30. I do still wonder if we'll get something with maybe a facsimile sig. Or King will only sign 100 (I'm #80 lol). I think he should do it out of spite.

I also noticed when I placed my order that they are now offering priority shipping. I never noticed that before so I decided to go the extra 5 bucks to see what that gets me.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 05:46 PM
The original announcement never said SK was confirmed, but that they where working on it. I don't think you'll see SK mentioned again until it's confirmed, and honestly probably not until they are ready to announce it for sale.

Right. He was mentioned as a POSSIBLE contributor to Series III. I only point out the absence as an indication that he is at best a maybe. If they had locked him in, then his name would have been dropped and those last 10 matching sets would have vanished. However, I think it also says a lot that they're not dangling him out there as a possibility (especially if they're trying to push the last ten sets)--could indicate that BP may be backing off the promise because it's less likely to happen.

Yes, and all of this means that I am a genius FORENSIC BOOK COLLECTOR INVESTIGATOR.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 05:48 PM
He is one of the others :). Seriously, I always doubted a King S/L would go for $30. I do still wonder if we'll get something with maybe a facsimile sig. Or King will only sign 100 (I'm #80 lol). I think he should do it out of spite.

I also noticed when I placed my order that they are now offering priority shipping. I never noticed that before so I decided to go the extra 5 bucks to see what that gets me.

Maybe I'm just a cynical ass, but I really doubt Stephen King is going to be among the Series III authors. And that's OK. I really like the Little Book Series. I'm looking forward to Chizmar and Malerman and Kiernan. I'm going to buy them all anyway.

bsaenz24
10-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Yes, and all of this means that I am a genius FORENSIC BOOK COLLECTOR INVESTIGATOR.

Great. ANOTHER damn FBCI.

Brian861
10-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Maybe I'm just a cynical ass, but I really doubt Stephen King is going to be among the Series III authors. And that's OK. I really like the Little Book Series. I'm looking forward to Chizmar and Malerman and Kiernan. I'm going to buy them all anyway.

Right there with ya.

Great. ANOTHER damn FBCI.

Except this time, it's set in Chicago. Part of the Chicago Fire, PD, EMS, Dogcatcher, etc crossovers I believe.

Dan Hocker
10-04-2018, 06:06 PM
It's really hard to say. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tom manages it.

bsaenz24
10-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Seems like there should be a Bentley Little volume in that series... What could be better than a Little Little book?

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 06:12 PM
It's really hard to say. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tom manages it.

I certainly hope he does. I'll have #183.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Seems like there should be a Bentley Little volume in that series... What could be better than a Little Little book?

I do believe that Little IS one of the promised authors. LUCKY ME.

Martin
10-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Tom printed Quietly now for $40.00 and it contained signatures from King, Straub, Burke and many others. May or may not get this one but it is within the realm of possibility.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 06:16 PM

I was wrong. We are merely being threatened with Bentley Little. Here's the roster from the original announcement:

already signed Ramsey Campbell, Mort Castle, Richard Chizmar, Heather Graham, Charles L. Grant, Owen King, Josh Malerman, William F. Nolan, and Tim Waggoner. In the coming months, pending negotiations, we hope to announce the addition of writers such as Thomas Ligotti, Bentley Little, Gahan Wilson, Caitlyn Kiernan, and Stephen King.

Brian861
10-04-2018, 06:18 PM

LOL.

I know this has been keeping you up nights with anticipation :)

Tom printed Quietly now for $40.00 and it contained signatures from King, Straub, Burke and many others. May or may not get this one but it is within the realm of possibility.

Didn't realize that. I'm sure it goes for much more these days. Maybe not so far-fetched after all for the Little series.

Sock Monkey
10-04-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm in regardless of the King book or not. Would it be cool to get a signed King book on the cheap? Yep. But I'm not a die hard fan that would buy all fourteen other books JUST to be able to get the King book. I really enjoy the Little Books series, even if there is overlap with the authors' works I previously own. And, honestly, the Series III line-up pretty much rocks without King.

jeffingoff
10-04-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm in regardless of the King book or not.

Me too. The line up does rock. It would be amazing to have King's stories and signature in a Little Book, but for me, continuing to buy the series isn't dependent on a King book. This series is so much fun. I also have the complete Series II and I'm having a blast working my way through those. So nothing but praise from me, really.

Sock Monkey
10-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Me too. The line up does rock. It would be amazing to have King's stories and signature in a Little Book, but for me, continuing to buy the series isn't dependent on a King book. This series is so much fun. I also have the complete Series II and I'm having a blast working my way through those. So nothing but praise from me, really.

I like to think of the Little Series as tiny morsels of literary goodness, each book a small sampling of some fantastic authors' works.

dannyboy121070
10-05-2018, 12:29 AM
I hope that, if King is featured in a future book, that CD gets copies....I've been getting all of my matching numbers from them. Collectors OCD is tingling........

Dan Hocker
10-05-2018, 03:46 AM
I hope that, if King is featured in a future book, that CD gets copies....I've been getting all of my matching numbers from them. Collectors OCD is tingling........

We will. We are getting the same number of copies for every book in the series.

dannyboy121070
10-05-2018, 09:05 PM
We will. We are getting the same number of copies for every book in the series.

Awesome. Thanks, Dan! Now I just have to hope that I get the Collector's Club notification immediately, and place my order before it sells out.

My nerves are shot already!

jeffingoff
11-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Anyone get the Waggoner book? I paid on the 9th and no shipping notice or padded envelope yet.

khaos
11-20-2018, 05:51 PM
No book or shipping notice here. Nothing in my Paypal either, sometimes I just get the tracking number added there with no email notice. Thought I got it yesterday but it was a CD in the same size package.

jeffingoff
11-20-2018, 06:14 PM
No book or shipping notice here. Nothing in my Paypal either, sometimes I just get the tracking number added there with no email notice. Thought I got it yesterday but it was a CD in the same size package.

Thanks for the response. I never seem to remember if Borderlands is a shipping notice or no shipping notice publisher.

Dan Hocker
11-20-2018, 07:16 PM
I suspect you've got a bit to wait yet. Based off of the last 2 books it looks like they start charging orders up to a month before they ship. For what it's worth I haven't had any word from them about our copies yet.

RonClinton
11-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Jeff, I haven't recieved any word yet from Kim at Camelot, either, who handled my number with the LITTLE BOOK OF series, so I'm sure Dan's correct...just hasn't been published and/or released-to-the-wild yet.
https://az12497.vo.msecnd.net/1404d4b5bbd94f028000b9d71f81d465/images/184/9cc8996fb7b9420b9b9d1d55b61e3e1d.jpg

jeffingoff
11-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Jeff, I haven't recieved any word yet from Kim at Camelot, either, who handled my number with the LITTLE BOOK OF series, so I'm sure Dan's correct...just hasn't been published and/or released-to-the-wild yet.
https://az12497.vo.msecnd.net/1404d4b5bbd94f028000b9d71f81d465/images/184/9cc8996fb7b9420b9b9d1d55b61e3e1d.jpg

Yeah I just wanted to be sure I wasn't the victim of porch pirates. I'm currently not living at my house because of the whole ceiling falling down thing. So I worry that it came in the mail and got swiped. I'm glad to know that it wasn't sent yet. I am worried about my copy of SST's Shining in the Dark though . . .

Brian861
11-22-2018, 08:05 AM
I don't think we get shipping notices or tracking numbers on these but can never can remember either. My SST Shining in the Dark is in the UK (with a lot of other books) awaiting shipment. Probably sometime after the first of the year.

Brian861
12-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I don't think we get shipping notices or tracking numbers on these but can never can remember either. My SST Shining in the Dark is in the UK (with a lot of other books) awaiting shipment. Probably sometime after the first of the year.

I guess we do get shipping notices as I received one yesterday for this book.

jeffingoff
12-16-2018, 08:59 PM
I guess we do get shipping notices as I received one yesterday for this book.

Yep. Me too. I'll have to remember this. But I will forget for the next little book.

Brian861
12-17-2018, 04:42 AM
Yep. Me too. I'll have to remember this. But I will forget for the next little book.

Me too.

TacomaDiver
12-18-2018, 03:33 AM
I got my invoice for the next volume directly from Borderlands, but my $30 book has a $35.16 shipping charge. Needless to say, I'm questioning that . . . it seems a tad, shall we say, excessive.

jeffingoff
12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
I got my invoice for the next volume directly from Borderlands, but my $30 book has a $35.16 shipping charge. Needless to say, I'm questioning that . . . it seems a tad, shall we say, excessive.

A little. Especially when you consider it's nothing more than a padded envelope.

Brian861
12-18-2018, 04:27 PM

Are you sure that wasn't your total with shipping, Jason?

TacomaDiver
12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Are you sure that wasn't your total with shipping, Jason?

I’m sure - $30 + $35.61 = $65.61. I originally thought they were billing me for two copies. 21153

Brian861
12-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Looks like someone might have fat fingered the shipping when inputting it. Have you heard back from them?

TacomaDiver
12-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Looks like someone might have fat fingered the shipping when inputting it. Have you heard back from them?

Nothing yet - I'm going to try again.

TacomaDiver
01-06-2019, 01:36 AM
I received a reply about my weird shipping charge, and BP apologized and sent a new invoice. My book arrived the other day (I took it out of the mail box tonight.)

Brian861
01-06-2019, 05:46 AM
I received a reply about my weird shipping charge, and BP apologized and sent a new invoice. My book arrived the other day (I took it out of the mail box tonight.)

Glad they got it corrected for you, Jason. I paid for priority shipping this time to see if it would be packaged better. It still arrived media mail.

TacomaDiver
01-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Glad they got it corrected for you, Jason. I paid for priority shipping this time to see if it would be packaged better. It still arrived media mail.

I paid for Media Mail and it came Priority. :)

I was wondering if Gauntlet or BP knew how to ship Priority because I accidentally ordered a number of books from Gauntlet (who seems to ship via BP - at least the books I ordered) and selected Priority Mail. I asked to change and Barry wouldn’t/couldn’t. And they still came media mail.

Anyways, I’m glad my Little Book arrived.

slayn666
02-06-2019, 02:36 AM
I got an email about the next book in the series today; it's by Josh Malerman.

bsaenz24
02-06-2019, 03:17 AM

https://www.borderlandspress.com/shop/coming-soon/a-little-red-book-of-requests-by-josh-malerman-signed-numbered-ltd-edition/

Martin
02-06-2019, 04:47 AM
https://www.borderlandspress.com/shop/coming-soon/a-little-red-book-of-requests-by-josh-malerman-signed-numbered-ltd-edition/

Looks interesting!

Brian861
02-06-2019, 05:43 AM
Looks interesting!

It does! And I really dig red.

jeffingoff
02-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the notice guys! I have all of series II and I've been buying all of Series III as they come out, but I'm not in the first wave of emails that he sends out. For some reason, someone in this forum always mentions the BP email before I get mine.

jeffingoff
02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Looks interesting!

It does! And I really dig red.

This is one I've been waiting for, along with Chizmar!

Ben Staad
02-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Placed a pre-order for this one. These books are tiny but fun. :D

jeffingoff
02-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Placed a pre-order for this one. These books are tiny but fun. :D

I think this one will sell out.

jeffingoff
02-06-2019, 01:14 PM
I think this one will sell out.

I just checked and the Nolan and Waggoner Little Books from Series III have also sold out. Seems the Castle book is the only series III title still available. If that's the King effect (many titles from series II are still available), and BP doesn't offer a SK Little Book in this series, there will be angry peeps.

bsaenz24
02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
I just checked and the Nolan and Waggoner Little Books from Series III have also sold out. Seems the Castle book is the only series III title still available. If that's the King effect (many titles from series II are still available), and BP doesn't offer a SK Little Book in this series, there will be angry peeps.

Ben Staad
02-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Based on the photo we certainly do not want angry peeps!

jeffingoff
02-06-2019, 01:52 PM

LOTS OF THOSE! Descending on Baltimore (avoiding the CD office) and attacking with their Peep fury. Even though these books are awesome without King and I'd collect them no matter what.