PDA

View Full Version : THE TOMMYKNOCKERS PS PUBLISHING

jeffingoff
01-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Well, PS announced their edition of The Tommyknockers today and I was hoping that CD would be getting some copies.

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-tommyknockers--slipcased-hardcover-by-stephen-king-4495-p.asp?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=stephen_kings_the_tommyknockers&utm_term=2018-01-25

Martin
01-25-2018, 11:02 PM
In concept I like what they are doing but I do not need a PS version of The Tommyknockers.

RonClinton
01-25-2018, 11:31 PM
Debating this one as we speak. I actually liked this novel more than many others did, so may go for it… Just not sure yet.

Sock Monkey
01-26-2018, 02:50 AM
This looks cool, but I just don’t NEED it. It helps that I’ve never read the book and only faintly remember the TV mini-seres.

Dave1442397
01-26-2018, 01:29 PM
I bought it. Yeah, it's not one of his better books, but Stephen King at his worst is still worth reading, as far as I'm concerned. For $113.59 (after conversion by Paypal), I thought it was worth getting.

Marmaduke Grigsby
01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
It looks like a handsome edition, but there are just so many Stephen King editions out there right now I just can't buy them all. And as happens so often, I will probably regret it later.

Speaking of The Tommyknockers, I recently purchased an old Winter 1988 issue of American Fantasy magazine for the Robert R. McCammon interview, which was excellent, but I had to chuckle at the review of Stephen King's THE TOMMYKNOCKERS where the writer states, "...it certainly holds up far better than IT, and it avoids the grandiose sermonizing that eventually dropped IT to the bottom of my King pile."

I wonder if the reviewer would feel the same way today, after IT has become one of the most well-loved Stephen King novels. The Tommyknockers, not so much.

The reviewer? Charles L. Grant

mhatchett
01-26-2018, 02:20 PM
This is why I can buy a wide range of items, there are Stephen King books, I just don't like. I pick up the ones I do, a handful, and let the rest go by. That leaves me free to pick up Bradbury, Blackburn, MacAvoy, Charles G. Finney and Alan Plater. Don't get me wrong, I think King is a great writer, I'm particularly fond of his short stories, but like all of us, he has to make a buck and sometimes it shows, for me at least.

jeffingoff
01-26-2018, 02:47 PM
It looks like a handsome edition, but there are just so many Stephen King editions out there right now I just can't buy them all. And as happens so often, I will probably regret it later.

Speaking of The Tommyknockers, I recently purchased an old Winter 1988 issue of American Fantasy magazine for the Robert R. McCammon interview, which was excellent, but I had to chuckle at the review of Stephen King's THE TOMMYKNOCKERS where the writer states, "...it certainly holds up far better than IT, and it avoids the grandiose sermonizing that eventually dropped IT to the bottom of my King pile."

I wonder if the reviewer would feel the same way today, after IT has become one of the most well-loved Stephen King novels. The Tommyknockers, not so much.

WOW. That's quite a claim to make. But everyone is entitled to their opinions even when their opinions are horribly wrong. I will say that I've been meaning to re-read THE TOMMYKNOCKERS for years--I just keep pushing it back down my TBR pile because so much new stuff comes up. But there's a chapter in THE TOMMYKNOCKERS that scared me more than I remember any other King story outside of Derry or Room 217. This chapter just punched me out unexpectedly in book I was only lukewarm about. I wanted to re-read it to see if the book had more in it than I remember. And this edition could be my re-read. I definitely love the artwork. I think it's stunning. And the separate novella approach is still kinda cool.

Martin
01-26-2018, 03:56 PM
I bought it. Yeah, it's not one of his better books, but Stephen King at his worst is still worth reading, as far as I'm concerned. For $113.59 (after conversion by Paypal), I thought it was worth getting.

Congratulations, I do like the Novellas concept.

Martin
01-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Wow, I did not think that when I read them. Coming from a very respected author like Mr. Grant makes it even more interesting. I wonder if Mr. Grant revised his views before his passing.

Martin
01-26-2018, 04:02 PM
WOW. That's quite a claim to make. But everyone is entitled to their opinions even when their opinions are horribly wrong. I will say that I've been meaning to re-read THE TOMMYKNOCKERS for years--I just keep pushing it back down my TBR pile because so much new stuff comes up. But there's a chapter in THE TOMMYKNOCKERS that scared me more than I remember any other King story outside of Derry or Room 217. This chapter just punched me out unexpectedly in book I was only lukewarm about. I wanted to re-read it to see if the book had more in it than I remember. And this edition could be my re-read. I definitely love the artwork. I think it's stunning. And the separate novella approach is still kinda cool.

I remember liking Tommyknockers, thinking the end was corny, but have few detailed memories of the story. May be time for a re-read.

RonClinton
01-26-2018, 04:24 PM
It’s been a very long while since I read it, but I don’t remember the structure of the book allowing for it to be split organically into three parts. I wonder if these are these breaks are natural or forced?

bsaenz24
01-26-2018, 09:10 PM
The Tommyknockers is the one SK booksI did not finish. I need to try again someday, but it does really call me too loudly.

Martin
01-26-2018, 10:10 PM
I am waiting for the Cemetery Dance 'Viking Years' collection to be announced!

Dan Hocker
01-26-2018, 10:15 PM

One collection at a time. We still have 3 books to go in this one.

jeffingoff
01-26-2018, 10:22 PM

YES! :D

Martin
01-27-2018, 01:57 AM
One collection at a time. We still have 3 books to go in this one.

No hurry, I can wait.

TacomaDiver
01-27-2018, 02:19 AM
I saw this and hesitate on its purchase. Ignoring the fact that I haven't read The Tommyknockers yet (for shame or something!) I've kind of grown bored with the PS Anniversary sets. At first they were kind of cool, and I got over my frustration at PS Pub for failing to match my numbers as I ordered them (something that Gauntlet did too - but that's another story for another time . . .) I just don't think I need this. And am tempted to unload my other sets too. I think I've hit collector overload . . .

Martin
01-27-2018, 02:48 AM
I saw this and hesitate on its purchase. Ignoring the fact that I haven't read The Tommyknockers yet (for shame or something!) I've kind of grown bored with the PS Anniversary sets. At first they were kind of cool, and I got over my frustration at PS Pub for failing to match my numbers as I ordered them (something that Gauntlet did too - but that's another story for another time . . .) I just don't think I need this. And am tempted to unload my other sets too. I think I've hit collector overload . . .

The only PS anniversary edition I purchased was Skeleton Crew. I love King's short stories so I went for this one.

Brian861
01-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Don't care for the story at all. It's in the basement on my SK likes list. I might pick it up later on just for the King foreword. Not a priority by any means as I no longer collect the series.

mhatchett
01-27-2018, 02:06 PM
The only PS anniversary edition I purchased was Skeleton Crew. I love King's short stories so I went for this one.

I did buy a PS copy of Salem's Lot. I like the way they broke into 3 books and the art/slipcase was Really nice.

jeffingoff
01-29-2018, 09:16 PM
I jumped on it. I had to since I started this thread and all.

RonClinton
01-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Still mulling...still mulling...

Theli
01-30-2018, 04:14 AM
Not in on this one.

Sock Monkey
01-30-2018, 04:49 AM
I wavered momentarily, but stuck to my guns. It’s nice to see the lesser King works getting some love, but I just don’t need it for my collection. Congrats to everyone who did jump in as I’m sure it will be a nice edition.

jeffingoff
01-30-2018, 03:35 PM
I think PS is also going to do NEEDFUL THINGS. Who's up for that?

Dan Hocker
01-30-2018, 03:41 PM

I can't say for sure (as I actually have no idea), but I suspect their plan is to do one for every book Hodder has the rights to.

Martin
01-30-2018, 05:54 PM

I actually do not have fond memories of Needful Things. It is near the bottom of my King reads. I may have to read it again to see if my view has changed.

jeffingoff
01-30-2018, 06:01 PM
I actually do not have fond memories of Needful Things. It is near the bottom of my King reads. I may have to read it again to see if my view has changed.

Oh no. So that could mean I'll have to buy ANOTHER edition of IT and THE STAND?! I won't have a choice!

jeffingoff
01-30-2018, 06:02 PM

I remember Leland Gaunt and I remember a woman fantasizing about screwing Elvis. That's about it.

Martin
01-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Oh no. So that could mean I'll have to buy ANOTHER edition of IT and THE STAND?! I won't have a choice!

Yea, but you can never have too many editions of those two.

jeffingoff
01-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Yea, but you can never have too many editions of those two.

Truth

Brian861
01-30-2018, 07:15 PM

One of my favorite King novels but it deserves better treatment than what PS will provide. I guess their lettered will be ok but who has that kinda money to spend on books.

Dan Hocker
01-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Don't quote me on that though. I'm just kinda assuming that's what they where doing.

Martin
01-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Don't quote me on that though. I'm just kinda assuming that's what they where doing.

I read it on the internet, it has to be true!

bsaenz24
01-31-2018, 02:57 PM

TRUE DAT!

Brian861
01-31-2018, 06:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZbSlkFoSU

Theli
02-02-2018, 02:48 AM
One of my favorite King novels but it deserves better treatment than what PS will provide. I guess their lettered will be ok but who has that kinda money to spend on books.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tommy
02-03-2018, 03:17 AM
I like The Tommyknockers more than what a lot of King fans seem to. I felt like it did ramble on in places and maybe some tighter editing would have improved it a great deal but as is, there are some really cool things going on there. I decided to order one from CD (thank you gift certificates!). I do like the artwork for this one.

EDIT: Just checked PS website and 23 copies remain. This must be their fastest selling King edition so far!

HumphreyBear
02-03-2018, 05:20 AM
I have recently become the proud owner of the PS anniversary Salem's Lot, Skeleton Crew, Pet Sematary and Thinner to go with my existing Night Shift. I do love the novella approach so although I didn't think much of The Tommyknockers, I bought it. I will probably seek out Carrie and Chriitine later (when I have more $$$)

Sock Monkey
02-03-2018, 07:22 AM
I have recently become the proud owner of the PS anniversary Salem's Lot, Skeleton Crew, Pet Sematary and Thinner to go with my existing Night Shift. I do love the novella approach so although I didn't think much of The Tommyknockers, I bought it. I will probably seek out Carrie and Chriitine later (when I have more $$$)

Congratulations on all the books! I’m sure that looks pretty darn nice on the shelf!

mhatchett
02-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Excellent!!

bookworm 1
02-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Passing on this one. Least Like the novella approach but not one of my favorite books.

HumphreyBear
02-04-2018, 11:30 PM
Congratulations on all the books! I’m sure that looks pretty darn nice on the shelf!

Thanks - they do. They were part of a large group of 22 books I bought from Thelion on here last year. Because I live in Australia, the postage was going to be $700, so we arranged for Brain to ship them to the hotel I was staying in in New York recently. As well as the aforementioned PS titles, I also picked up Secretary of Dreams 2, CD Full Dark, No Stars, CD Dr Sleep, Three CD Brian Hodge titles and a host of other titles.

And when I returned home,k there were 15 other titles I had ordered waiting for me (mainly McCammon and Stephen Baxter titles).

I picked up a pristine first of McCammon's Boy's life at The Strand in NYC for virtually nothing. I could have bought many more books there but there is only so much weight one is allowed in one's luggage.

So now that I'm back, I spent my first day reorganizing my book shelves.

Happy days.

And thanks so much Brian. As well as giving me a ridiculously good deal on all the books and packaging the books for postage beautifully, he threw in a half dozen chapbooks that are aligned to my taste. He was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

havok
02-15-2018, 05:42 PM
I like The Tommyknockers more than what a lot of King fans seem to. I felt like it did ramble on in places and maybe some tighter editing would have improved it a great deal but as is, there are some really cool things going on there. I decided to order one from CD (thank you gift certificates!). I do like the artwork for this one.

EDIT: Just checked PS website and 23 copies remain. This must be their fastest selling King edition so far!

I was going to order from CD as I love giving them business (I ordered PS Publishing's 'Salem's Lot from them) but their price BEFORE shipping was higher than PS Publishing's AFTER international shipping ... would have ended up being over $30 more expensive shipped :(

Dan Hocker
02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
I was going to order from CD as I love giving them business (I ordered PS Publishing's 'Salem's Lot from them) but their price BEFORE shipping was higher than PS Publishing's AFTER international shipping ... would have ended up being over $30 more expensive shipped :(

That seems odd. I'd these some weird currency conversion stuff going on there. Maybe the British Pound was doing particularly well when we set the price for it on our site.

HumphreyBear
02-15-2018, 09:52 PM
That seems odd. I'd these some weird currency conversion stuff going on there. Maybe the British Pound was doing particularly well when we set the price for it on our site.

Similarly, I ordered from PS directly. Postage to Australia from the USA is way more than from The UK. It makes it a no-brainer - I have no idea why that would be.

Shipping from PS - $19 AUD
Shipping from CD - $68 AUD

Dan Hocker
02-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Similarly, I ordered from PS directly. Postage to Australia from the USA is way more than from The UK. It makes it a no-brainer - I have no idea why that would be.

That's because the US postal service sucks. International shipping rates here are absurd. It's often even cheaper to ship something from the UK to Canada than it is from the US to Canada. Though I think there's also some kinda discount there as well because of the relationship both Canada and Australia have with the UK.

Ranger
02-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Either PS have a great discount with the UK postal service or they're taking a massive hit on postal costs at that price.
19 AUD is approx. 11. You wouldn't be able to send a regular single hardcover from UK to Australia at that price.